Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, and you’re thinking of delurking why not delurk tonight, I have, True Faith, in your ability to make a contribution. You’ll set a new World In Motion for yourselves, when you start posting.  you’ll find if you don’t delurk, you’ll, Regret, it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Rennard has lost the plot. He should go and go now.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    IOS said:

He's gone.
    Until he comes back again.
    Which he will.
    With a Court order in his pocket.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    IOS said:

Why? He thinks he has a legitimate grievance, and a very prominent jurist is representing him.
  • Options
    Rod

Clegg has called his bluff. He won't do that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Just been accused of being a typical Whig over on the Telegraph. Good or bad thing? Granted, it was because of sitting on the fence, which I was not aware was a Whig stereotype, but nevertheless...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Another Fine Mess.

Brilliant @BrookesTimes cartoon on another fine mess for Nick Clegg at the hands of Lord #Rennard pic.twitter.com/lLF0dE84HZ

— David Jack (@DJack_Journo) January 20, 2014
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    kle4 said:

Just been accused of being a typical Whig over on the Telegraph. Good or bad thing? Granted, it was because of sitting on the fence, which I was not aware was a Whig stereotype, but nevertheless...

Very, very bad !!

FPT various

HM Queen will not abdicate under any foreseeable circumstances. She would consider abdication as a fundamental breach of her coronation oath.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT
    MikeL said:

If she does want to abdicate, could this year or first half of next year be likely as it's just 1 year 243 days to break Victoria's record?

ie If she abdicated just after breaking the record that might look bad as if she had held on to get the record.

So the gracious thing would be to abdicate before she breaks the record.

Then surely first half of next year is out due to the GE - which would mean this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_in_Britain_by_length_of_reign

I note from your link that Her Majesty would need to reign until 17 October 2034 (on which date she would be 108 years and 179 days) in order to become the longest reigning monarch in world history.

On that day she would surpass Sobhuza II, who reigned as Paramount Chief and later King of Swaziland from 10 December 1899 to 21 August 1982, becoming Paramount Chief at the age of 4 months upon the death of his father.

Are any leading bookmakers taking bets on Her Majesty achieving this record?

Or would I need to pay them £200 to get the odds and the bet published in a leading newspaper?

• Options
    IOS said:

Rod

Clegg has called his bluff. He won't do that.

That's what my opponents thought too.
    "He hasn't got a solicitor", they chortled.

I'd already decided I didn't want or need one, and knew I was a better double and triple-bluffer than they were bluffers...
  • Options
    Yup well separate yourself from this. Rennard could well see this provoke more allegations.

Sometimes its best to just quit.
  • Options
    20. Does raise a good point about the elimination of Tory moderates. Not entirely down to Coalition, but it certainly didn't help, which is a shame; as I despise picking a side, I'm unlike a lot of people in that I'd probably rather go for a woolly non-entity who won't rock the boat beyond the waters of moderation than some passionate ideological firebrand or cynically ardent right/left winger.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    RodCrosby said:

IOS said:

He's gone.
    Which he will.
    Sir Roderick, you need to acquire a calm head.

May I suggest you apply to antifrank?

Revenge is a dish best served cold. When it is time for Clegg to be knifed, I am sure Rennard will find a suitable place behind an arras where his grinning face can peep forth and be photographed by the waiting Press.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

IOS said:

He's gone.
    Which he will.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. When it is time for Clegg to be knifed, I am sure Rennard will find a suitable place behind an arras where his grinning face can be photographed by the Press.
    They say revenge is

1) A dish best served called

2) Sweet

So basically they are saying Revenge is ice cream.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

IOS said:

He's gone.
    Which he will.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. When it is time for Clegg to be knifed, I am sure Rennard will find a suitable place behind an arras where his grinning face can be photographed by the Press.
    They say revenge is

1) A dish best served called

2) Sweet

So basically they are saying Revenge is ice cream.
    Bit flakey that, TSE.

You still score 99 points.

• Options
    No. 10, why do economists of any organization continue to be listened to when they are always always way out on economic predictions? If it's impossible to get even close, as it often seems, why even bother?
  • Options
    The sweetest part was when they shat themselves when the bill ran up to 5 figures, and they settled under a Tomlin order rather than face a three-day multi-track trial, with the local press, pencil's poised, sitting in court, who I of course had invited...

Then with my position rightfully restored, I had the pleasure of watching them scurry around trying to engineer a vote of the members to cover their costs.

"Sorry gentlemen, there is nothing in the rules which mentions indemnity. You were sued, you settled, you alone are liable and must bear the costs personally... Any attempt to divert the common funds will result in you being sued again."

Their own solicitor got so hacked off with their antics he bankrupted them in the end...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IOS said:

Yup well separate yourself from this. Rennard could well see this provoke more allegations.

Sometimes its best to just quit.

I hope no one ever selects you for jury service.

• Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 11s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead at eight points: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 11%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Am spending the week in Germany talking mainly to Mittelstand companies to see if there is business to do wit them. And, yes, there is. But as a Brit it makes you want to weep. Our companies pay dividends, theirs invest in R&D. As for the banks ...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Rennard was near enough the top of the Lib Dem party for long enough to not only have played the role of kingmaker, but also to know where the bodies are buried. This might get very brutal and I cannot see a way out of this for either side. Positions have been set, and backing down will be a humiliation.

I fail to see what he will gain from going to court, except for revenge. People with either believe he may have pushed things a little too far with the women, or that he did nothing wrong. A court case is unlikely to sort things out, or persuade many people of the other view..

It makes the Mitchell case seem simple.
  • Options
    Best Thread Ever (well since 1963). Temptation to post here too great.

Been rushing round and round as in a state of confusion with Spurs winning.Almost shellshock.

Spooky how the time flies when having such a fine time - I see Blair got busted by some lowlife, a sign of today's subculture sadly - it's the state of the nation.

Presumably Blair was attending a ceremony somewhere in the world, Rennard's been ruined in a day.

Baggies leave me near Ecstacy almost as if I've been touched by the hand of God. I'm hellbent on a Blue Majority now.

• Options
    Revenge was of course another reference to tonight's thread band I assume TSE?

• Options
    In the midst of the Rennard wibblings, the week begins with another solid poll for Labour.

I read the New Statesman piece TSE links to above - I shouldn't imagine EdM loses much sleep over voters who claim not to have heard of him, but vote Labour anyway.
  • Options

Been rushing round and round as in a state of confusion with Spurs winning.Almost shellshock.

Spooky how the time flies when having such a fine time - I see Blair got busted by some lowlife, a sign of today's subculture sadly - it's the state of the nation.

Presumably Blair was attending a ceremony somewhere in the world, Rennard's been ruined in a day.

Baggies leave me near Ecstacy almost as if I've been touched by the hand of God. I'm hellbent on a Blue Majority now.

Spurs are on the up.

My bet on them making the champs league is going to be a winner.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Good news on BTECs:

'(Btecs may be appropriate for some students but their widespread use is regarded by the DfE as “gaming” the results and will, in the main, not be counted towards GCSE results from 2014).'

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2014/01/journalists-please-treat-dfe-press-releases-with-caution/
  • Options

Revenge was of course another reference to tonight's thread band I assume TSE?

Yah, but my high point is getting in a World in Motion and two Bizarre Love Triangle references.
  • Options

Spurs are on the up.

Being Spurs, we could finish 4th by some miracle (would love that, love that - K. Keegan) but then only to see Man Utd win the Champs League with their team of world beaters....
  • Options

Spurs are on the up.

Being Spurs, we could finish 4th by some miracle (would love that, love that - K. Keegan) but then only to see Man Utd win the Champs League with their team of world beaters....
    That's the nightmare scenario for Liverpool fans.
  • Options
    I was trying to think how to get Elegia or 5-8-6 in. The latter could be the new Man U formation maybe?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2014
    TSE's - Betting tip of the Day.

Luis Suarez to outscore England at the world cup. 7/2 with Paddy Power

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/luis-suarez/to-outscore-england-at-world-cup

This is a football bet, so they let you put on a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Am spending the week in Germany talking mainly to Mittelstand companies to see if there is business to do wit them. And, yes, there is. But as a Brit it makes you want to weep. Our companies pay dividends, theirs invest in R&D. As for the banks ...

SO

I assume you are referring to the recent announcement by Germany's largest and most influential bank:

Specifically, Deutsche Bank's loss before taxes for the fourth quarter came in at €1.15bn after a €528m charge in litigation costs alone. Consensus had forecast a €628.5m before-tax profit.

Quarterly revenue fell 16% to €6.6bn due primarily to losses in investment banking.

The fallout from the announcement was so far flung that I'm told that Eurobonds are unseasonally falling to earth like autumn leaves in rural Warwickshire.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead at eight points: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 11%, UKIP 12%

Show me the crossover.......Show me the crossover!
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    The important words in the Regency Act 1937 "infirmity of mind or body incapable for the time being of performing the royal functions" which doesn't envisage a permanent handing over of power to me
  • Options

If anything, the Labour lead appears to have stretched slightly.
  • Options

Incorrect.

Last week YouGov average was thus (changes from the previous week's average in bracket)

Lab 38.4 (minus 0.2)

Con 33.0 (plus 1.2)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I knew there must be a big Labour lead when I saw this thread had only 36 posts.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Danny565 said:

I knew there must be a big Labour lead when I saw this thread had only 36 posts.

It was actually being given the squirrel treatment, until the goalposts came into view. TRAMADOLADINGDONG!!!!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    AveryLP said:

SO

I assume you are referring to the recent announcement by Germany's largest and most influential bank:

Specifically, Deutsche Bank's loss before taxes for the fourth quarter came in at €1.15bn after a €528m charge in litigation costs alone. Consensus had forecast a €628.5m before-tax profit.

Quarterly revenue fell 16% to €6.6bn due primarily to losses in investment banking.

The fallout from the announcement was so far flung that I'm told that Eurobonds are unseasonally falling to earth like autumn leaves in rural Warwickshire.

Whereas our biggest bank needs a huge capital injection. According to latest reports up to £68bn.

• Options

Everyone knows that January is the most depressing time of the year, so it's no surprise that the dark-sky-and-drizzle party should benefit. Wait until the days start to lengthen and fresh buds of hawthorn sway in the warm May air. Miliband in his soiled raincoat of class spite and clunking 70s interventionism will soon be forgotten.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I read the New Statesman piece TSE links to above - I shouldn't imagine EdM loses much sleep over voters who claim not to have heard of him, but vote Labour anyway.

But the danger is that people who are as unenthusiastic and detached from politics as that will simply not show up at the polling station on election day.

I firmly believe that, if turnout in 2015 is 60% or above, Labour will win - the ceiling on potential Conservative support is just too low, there are too many people who would never countenance voting for them. But I do sometimes worry that turnout will plunge below 50% due to Labour voters feeling completely apathetic, and the Conservatives end up getting a majority by default even while getting less votes in real numbers than last time.
  • Options

Incorrect.

Last week YouGov average was thus (changes from the previous week's average in bracket)

Lab 38.4 (minus 0.2)

Con 33.0 (plus 1.2)
    This week's average is 40/32*

*but point taken sir
  • Options

Everyone knows that January is the most depressing time of the year, so it's no surprise that the dark-sky-and-drizzle party should benefit. Wait until the days start to lengthen and fresh buds of hawthorn sway in the warm May air. Miliband in his soiled raincoat of class spite and clunking 70s interventionism will soon be forgotten.
    So you are predicting a Conservative recovery by May? That is a confident prediction
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

But the danger is that people who are as unenthusiastic and detached from politics as that will simply not show up at the polling station on election day.

I firmly believe that, if turnout in 2015 is 60% or above, Labour will win - the ceiling on potential Conservative support is just too low, there are too many people who would never countenance voting for them. But I do sometimes worry that turnout will plunge below 50% due to Labour voters feeling completely apathetic, and the Conservatives end up getting a majority by default even while getting less votes in real numbers than last time.
    It is possible, I suppose.
  • Options
    Another great selection by TSE.

No 16 is a classic of good political journalism. Janan Ganesh neatly skewers the vacuity and inconsistency of Milibandism, and holds it up for inspection in the clearest possible light.

No-one will have the excuse that they weren't warned.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

SO

Whereas our biggest bank needs a huge capital injection. According to latest reports up to £68bn.

I responded to you on this after you were ordered to bed on the night of the tripartite Nabavi, Pole, Brooke discussions.

Here is what I wrote:

I think the £70 billion is a European aggregrate figure for the world's "systemically important" banks. 96 billion Euros is the figure I have seen stated by the Basel Committee. This amount is approximately 60% of the global amount needed and relates to "systemically important" banks registered in and supervised by EU countries

This group of banks have higher capital requirements than smaller banks not in the systemically important group. HSBC is included in this group but will not account for anything near the full figure.

Also the additional capital is not immediately required and needs to be verified by means of a stress test to be carried out by the BBA during the course of this year. Given that all banks have reduced capital adequacy requirements by retaining profits as reserves to the tune of 83 billion Euros in the second half of last year, the problem is not as alarming as the headline figures suggest.

It may well turn out that HSBC is over capitalised. In which case the regulators are threatening to get them to "help global economic recovery" by allocated the surplus to undercapitalised banks (through acquisition?)

Would be interested though in seeing the source of your £68 bn information as we may not be talking about the same things.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

I responded to you on this after you were ordered to bed on the night of the tripartite Nabavi, Pole, Brooke discussions.

Here is what I wrote:

I think the £70 billion is a European aggregrate figure for the world's "systemically important" banks. 96 billion Euros is the figure I have seen stated by the Basel Committee. This amount is approximately 60% of the global amount needed and relates to "systemically important" banks registered in and supervised by EU countries

This group of banks have higher capital requirements than smaller banks not in the systemically important group. HSBC is included in this group but will not account for anything near the full figure.

Also the additional capital is not immediately required and needs to be verified by means of a stress test to be carried out by the BBA during the course of this year. Given that all banks have reduced capital adequacy requirements by retaining profits as reserves to the tune of 83 billion Euros in the second half of last year, the problem is not as alarming as the headline figures suggest.

It may well turn out that HSBC is over capitalised. In which case the regulators are threatening to get them to "help global economic recovery" by allocated the surplus to undercapitalised banks (through acquisition?)

Would be interested though in seeing the source of your £68 bn information as we may not be talking about the same things.
    Do keep up Mr Pole

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-16/hsbc-may-overstate-assets-by-92-3-billion-forensic-asia.html

World class banking.
  • Options
    18 is unsurprising, but I don;t think it will have a huge impact either way.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Short interview with Mr Farage on the recent councillor hop-haa.

youtu.be/_pSiH82N6VI
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Another great selection by TSE.

No 16 is a classic of good political journalism. Janan Ganesh neatly skewers the vacuity and inconsistency of Milibandism, and holds it up for inspection in the clearest possible light.

No-one will have the excuse that they weren't warned.

With his latest plan to have Which? and the CAB advise on business competition I'm officially declaring Miliband to be "madder than Brown".

• Options
    Who on earth are 'Forensic Asia' and Thomas Monaco?

On the other side, Goldman Sachs today picked HSBC as a 'conviction buy' and the best of the UK banks. Other analysts agree:

http://tickerreport.com/banking-finance/110198/goldman-sachs-group-inc-reiterates-conviction-buy-rating-for-hsbc-holdings-hsba/
  • Options
    glw said:

With his latest plan to have Which? and the CAB advise on business competition I'm officially declaring Miliband to be "madder than Brown".

Yep, no doubt about it. What's worse, we haven't got a Peter Mandelson or Alistair Darling to restrain the worst lunacies.
  • Options

On the other side, Goldman Sachs today picked HSBC as a 'conviction buy' and the best of the UK banks. Other analysts agree:

http://tickerreport.com/banking-finance/110198/goldman-sachs-group-inc-reiterates-conviction-buy-rating-for-hsbc-holdings-hsba/
    Given that HSBC have in the past aided Terrorists, Drug Lords and rogue states, "conviction buy" may not be the best term
  • Options

Really Richard if your only so narrow minded as to only consider the Anglo Saxons you'll never export your way to success. On the other hand

"the best of the UK banks"

bit of a condemnation of the sector, shades of France.

• Options

Given that HSBC have in the past aided Terrorists, Drug Lords and rogue states, "conviction buy" may not be the best term

I can forgive them that, it's those excruciating adverts which they plaster over the departure corridors at Heathrow and Gatwick which are unforgivable.
  • Options

Really Richard if your only so narrow minded as to only consider the Anglo Saxons you'll never export your way to success.

Given that over the last twenty years, about 90% of my business has been export, I think I can bat that one off!

As for other European banks, hmmm...
  • Options

glw said:

Yep, no doubt about it. What's worse, we haven't got a Peter Mandelson or Alistair Darling to restrain the worst lunacies.
    I'm being positive, 5 years of Ed as PM will herald a truly right wing government in 2020.

The sort of government that will cut benefits by 90%, make the unemployed work for their remaining benefits, abolish the client state, outlaw trade unions, reduce government spending to 15% of GDP, introduce a flat rate tax of 20% for all, tell the EU to what to go do with itself, ditto the ECHR.

Basically the sort of government that will give me the horn.
  • Options

Really Richard if your only so narrow minded as to only consider the Anglo Saxons you'll never export your way to success.

Given that over the last twenty years, about 90% of my business has been export, I think I can bat that one off!

As for other European banks, hmmm...
    Outside Sussex isn't export Richard we're in the same country ;-)
  • Options

I'm being positive, 5 years of Ed as PM will herald a truly right wing government in 2020.

The sort of government that will cut benefits by 90%, make the unemployed work for their remaining benefits, abolish the client state, outlaw trade unions, reduce government spending to 15% of GDP, introduce a flat rate tax of 20% for all, tell the EU to what to go do with itself, ditto the ECHR.

Maybe, but an alternative and quite likely scenario is that the fruitcakes and loons manage to snatch even worse disaster from the jaws of 2015 disaster. Bear in mind that the UK managed over a decade of decline before finally coming to its senses in 1979.

• Options

Maybe, but an alternative and quite likely scenario is that the fruitcakes and loons manage to snatch even worse disaster from the jaws of 2015 disaster. Bear in mind that the UK managed over a decade of decline before finally coming to its senses in 1979.

I can wait 10 years.
  • Options

Outside Sussex isn't export Richard we're in the same country ;-)

Lol!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It would be very interesting to know what those two think of Miliband's big ideas. I suspect that off the record the Dark Lord would be every bit a scathing as anyone on here.
  • Options

I can forgive them that, it's those excruciating adverts which they plaster over the departure corridors at Heathrow and Gatwick which are unforgivable.
    I've been barred from a HSBC event, they had a dress code, even though I was wearing a top emblazoned by their logo.
  • Options

I can wait 10 years.

I can't. That would mean just five years of good government in over a quarter of a century.
  • Options

I can wait 10 years.

I can't. That would mean just five years of good government in over a quarter of a century.
    I'm just being selfish, 10 years of Ed Miliband would facilitate my ascension as the UK's first directly elected Tyrant.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

Do keep up Mr Pole

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-16/hsbc-may-overstate-assets-by-92-3-billion-forensic-asia.html

World class banking.
    OK. A recently launched Hong Kong based firm of stock analysts seeks publicity by taking on the giant.

The £68 billion is what this firm, "Forensic Asia" has calculated would be the maximum amount of equity HSBC would have to raise if regulators took the same view of the bank's asset valuations as this firm of analysts.

Not to say that there is nothing in the Forensic Asia assessment which warrants further investigation, but the neither HSBC nor global markets are have taken the report very seriously. As CNBC report:

HSBC declined to comment on the report. The bank's share price in Hong Kong fell slightly on Friday.

Simon Maughan, head of research at OTAS Technologies, told CNBC that the muted share price reaction shows that investors are not concerned about the report.

There is an element of our old friend Tap about this report but, who knows, you may be forcing me to eat my words in a couple of years.

Take the first paragraph of the report and note the use of hyperbole: "Charade ... disingenous ... excuses ... extreme overstatement ...". If it wasn't written by Tap it could have been Pork!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Rocky Mountain High indeed -

has anyone noticed that the two Superbowl teams are both from states that legalized marijuana last November?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2014
    Bloody hell, from the Times about Lord Rennard

Friends of the peer, who yesterday admitted to suffering from depression, said they feared for his wellbeing.

“To be honest, we have been worried about whether he might be suicidal,” one Lib Dem colleague said. “Many people would be in a terrible state under this pressure.”
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Friends of the peer, who yesterday admitted to suffering from depression, said they feared for his wellbeing.

“To be honest, we have been worried about whether he might be suicidal,” one Lib Dem colleague said. “Many people would be in a terrible state under this pressure.”

I dont think his statement today left much doubt as to the bad condition he is currently in. Which makes the advice he is getting seem all the worse to me.
  • Options
    @Avery

well Mr Pole as ever the first and typically Oxonian reaction is to rubbish the competiton
    even though the Asian Broker may be better informed and packed with superior Cambridge graduates. I simply remark that your comments on other nation's banks have shades of Matthew 7:3 about them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

@Avery

well Mr Pole as ever the first and typically Oxonian reaction is to rubbish the competiton
    even though the Asian Broker may be better informed and packed with superior Cambridge graduates. I simply remark that your comments on other nation's banks have shades of Matthew 7:3 about them.

They are not Asians, Mr. Brooke. They are the usual motley set of expats that have always set up shop in Hong Kong.

Probably wear Sams suits and spent their nights at the Volvo nightclub before it changed its name to Bboss and then went into liquidation.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    A LibDem bounce of +3 over yesterday, eh? Truly, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Neil said:

I dont think his statement today left much doubt as to the bad condition he is currently in. Which makes the advice he is getting seem all the worse to me.

That was on the news at ten I think

Re our conversation earlier about UKIPs ban on ex BNP members, the youngster I was describing was basically 'David' in Morrisseys song 'the national front disco'
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

I've been barred from a HSBC event, they had a dress code, even though I was wearing a top emblazoned by their logo.
    Possibly they were expecting you to wear some sort of clothing on your bottom half....just a thought

• Options
    Neil said:

My sympathy for him is increasing ever more.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Late night punters

Wythenshawe & Sale East By Election Feb 13th

Over/under 5/6

Lab 45.5
    Ukip 26.5
    Con 12.5
    LD 9.5

Any business?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's more to do with the ability of the Mittelstant to inspire multi-generational family ownership and a sense of trust. UK companies have historically sort to obtain capital from public shareholders, democraticising wealth, but also requiring the payment by of dividends. By contrast, where you have private ownership, dividends are often quite low - our family business, for instance, consistently pays £6,000 in dividends p.a. and has done so for many years.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

@Avery

They are not Asians, Mr. Brooke. They are the usual motley set of expats that have always set up shop in Hong Kong.

Probably wear Sam's suits for all I know.

AveryLP said:

@Avery

tut tut Mr Pole that's not a very big society response. if the broker is based in Asia the ethnic origin of the staff should be irrelevant. However I think if I were you I'd be telling George to run over the numbers again just in case: to lose two mega banks is a misfortune to lose three looks like carelessness. But I'm sure you can rest easy I mean it's not as if the banks have been caught up in fraud or anything, they've ticked all those boxes.
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

Possibly they were expecting you to wear some sort of clothing on your bottom half....just a thought

Nah, It was a sponsors event held in Manchester for the Lions tour last year.

I went wearing my Lions top and a pair of jeans, only when I got to the Hilton, did I notice the bit on the invitation requiring us to wear suits.
  • Options

Neil said:

My sympathy remains mostly with the women moved to make broadly credible complaints about his actions. Though I appreciate noone is coming out of this very well.
  • Options

Spurs are on the up.

Nah, we did that last season. We need to think of some other crazy way to finish 4th and *still* miss out on the champs.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

My sympathy remains mostly with the women moved to make broadly credible complaints about his actions. Though I appreciate noone is coming out of this very well.
    I have sympathy for them as well, but he wasn't found guilty in the report.
  • Options

I can wait 10 years.

It's called the 80/20 rule, innit?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

@Avery

AveryLP said:

@Avery

tut tut Mr Pole that's not a very big society response. if the broker is based in Asia the ethnic origin of the staff should be irrelevant. However I think if I were you I'd be telling George to run over the numbers again just in case: to lose two mega banks is a misfortune to lose three looks like carelessness. But I'm sure you can rest easy I mean it's not as if the banks have been caught up in fraud or anything, they've ticked all those boxes.
    I am certain that it doesn't merit George's personal attention, Mr. Brooke.

A quick call to Mark might be in order though. The latter could then get a Threadneedle Street intern to give the report a once over.

Who knows? The intern might then get elected, rise to prominence in the Labour Party and be touted as a future Chancellor on the grounds of her "economic" background.

Such things do happen, Mr. Brooke.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Link 9's basic statistic is pretty stunning, even for those used to worrying about that sort of thing. 85 people=3.5 BILLION.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Noone has seen the report but he doesnt come out well in the statement about it.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Noone has seen the report but he doesnt come out well in the statement about it.
    It's a right bloody mess.
  • Options

Link 9's basic statistic is pretty stunning, even for those used to worrying about that sort of thing. 85 people=3.5 BILLION.

At first I thought it was a typo
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

@Avery

AveryLP said:

@Avery

A quick call to Mark might be in order though. The latter could then get an intern to give the report a once over.

Who knows? The intern might then get elected, rise to prominence in the Labour Party and be touted as a future Chancellor on the grounds of her "economic" background.

Ah I can see where you're going wrong Mr Pole, the general idea isn't to get someone to look at the report, but someone to look at the bank's balance sheet. Accounting holes tend to sit inside companies not newpapers.

I'm available if you're stuck, though I must say I find I'm giving you a lot of consultancy advice these days and may have to consider sending you an invoice. Maybe you need to dust down your copy of Competitive Advantage.
  • Options
    “It may be that there are some who would decry the importance of the rules of natural justice. ……those who take this view do not, I think, do themselves justice. As everybody who has anything to do with the law well knows, the path of the law is strewn with examples of open and shut cases which, somehow, were not: of unanswerable charges which, in the event, were completely answered ; with inexplicable conduct which was fully explained; …….. nor are those with any knowledge of human nature who pause to think for a moment likely to underestimate the feelings of resentment of those who find there is a decision against them as being made without their being afforded any opportunity to influence the course of events…”

John v Rees (1970), per Megarry J
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

@Avery

AveryLP said:

@Avery

A quick call to Mark might be in order though. The latter could then get an intern to give the report a once over.

Ah I can see where you're going wrong Mr Pole, the general idea isn't to get someone to look at the report, but someone to look at the bank's balance sheet. Accounting holes tend to sit inside companies not newpapers.

I'm available if you're stuck, though I must say I find I'm giving you a lot of consultancy advice these days and may have to consider sending you an invoice. Maybe you need to dust down your copy of Competitive Advantage.
    No need to send an invoice, Mr. Brooke.

Just quote the account number allocated to you by Heidelberg und Mittelholstein Sparkasse and I will pay you by giro transfer of Deutsche Bank dividends.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

“It may be that there are some who would decry the importance of the rules of natural justice. ……those who take this view do not, I think, do themselves justice. As everybody who has anything to do with the law well knows, the path of the law is strewn with examples of open and shut cases which, somehow, were not: of unanswerable charges which, in the event, were completely answered ; with inexplicable conduct which was fully explained; …….. nor are those with any knowledge of human nature who pause to think for a moment likely to underestimate the feelings of resentment of those who find there is a decision against them as being made without their being afforded any opportunity to influence the course of events…”

John v Rees (1970), per Megarry J

Sir Roderick.

This is a crisis which requires a political not a legal solution.

• Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

I remain unconvinced this is shocking, let us remember that most of the world has a vastly different cost of living to us for starters.

according to this source http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

660 million people survive on 2.50$ a day or less. Taking 2.50$ as the figure that means someone on the benefits cap in the UK is equivalent to 42 of these people. You won't find many using that statistic and therefore claiming there is a huge inequality between the worlds poorest and those on benefits even though I am sure if you used the right headline you could get many left wingers up in arms.

" UK people get 42 times more income than the worlds poorest" would probably have the guardian frothing.

The truth of the matter is however those UK people aren't necessarily 42 times better off than these people by the time you take cost of living into account.

This is one of those eyebrow raising statistics which is actually totally meaningless
  • Options

Fancy a drink if you happen to be in Munich tomorrow evening?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

@Avery

AveryLP said:

@Avery

y advice these days and may have to consider sending you an invoice. Maybe you need to dust down your copy of Competitive Advantage.
    No need to send an invoice, Mr. Brooke.

Just quote the account number allocated to you by Heidelberg und Mittelholstein Sparkasse and I will pay you by giro transfer of Deutsche Bank dividends.

No need to send the money overseas Mr P, the jerries have enough of it anyway. Import substitution is the name of the game. I'll send my account details at the Warwickshire Industrial Bank. tomorrow. Meanwhile thanks for the chat, but she who must be obeyed must now be obeyed, have a good morning !
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I see Tony Greaves is going down the Chris Davies route:

"Half the men in the Lords have pinched a bottom, says the peer's pal"

With friends like this.

And Farron saying that Rennard deserves an apology? Unbelievable given his statement on the report.

Just when you think they cant make things any worse.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

This is a crisis which requires a political not a legal solution.

Well, the clock's ticking...
  • Options
    Neil said:

I see Tony Greaves is going down the Chris Davies route:

"Half the men in the Lords have pinched a bottom, says the peer's pal"

With friends like this.

And Farron saying that Rennard deserves an apology? Unbelievable given his statement on the report.

Just when you think they cant make things any worse.

I'm just glad the Lib Dems are nowhere near the levers of power.....
This discussion has been closed.