Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This doesn’t look good for Truss – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Leon said:

Just landed on Gatwick. On the Gatwick Express speeding to London…

… and there are all these posters and digital billboards with pictures of Her Maj and suddenly I am enclosed in proper sadness. Coming back to my Queenless country for the first time in my life. I don’t like it. A great forest has been felled. The hill is ugly and bare

Quite choked

Get in that queue. You will regret it if you don't.
    Your mate Sean could get in VIP lane
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    If Truss were to resign in the near future, could Johnson stand for the leadership?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

For all you Monarchists and Scot Nats.

Tomorrow's piece, should Prince William renounce being Prince of Wales and become Prince of Scotland to save the Union.

Won't work. The Welsh will be deeply upset, we're told all the time how important it is that someone is PoW.
    I remember the halcyon days when the minister for the Union & his band of geniuses were going to send Prince Edward to live up an Edinburgh close.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Will any thread ever written on the site ever be good for Truss....

No, its either Truss out or bad news for the Monarchy as only 88% of goldfish owners say they are in favour of King Charles III
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Tomorrow's piece, should Prince William renounce being Prince of Wales and become Prince of Scotland to save the Union.

Why not create that one to Prince Harry back into the fold?

Of course, Northern Ireland will need one too, and the next most senior is...Andrew.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

If Truss were to resign in the near future, could Johnson stand for the leadership?

Yes
  • Options
    The government is planning to part fund new build CCGT power stations with carbon capture along with blue hydrogen projects. These will use a shit load of gas for decades to come. We won't have weaned the country off hydrocarbons by 2050, and don't need to in order to achieve net zero.

So better it comes from the North Sea than Russia or Qatar.

We can debate as to whether this is the right strategy, but as long as it is policy we will need gas.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706

Carnyx said:

Won't work. The Welsh will be deeply upset, we're told all the time how important it is that someone is PoW.
    I remember the halcyon days when the minister for the Union & his band of geniuses were going to send Prince Edward to live up an Edinburgh close.
    A wally one, one hopes. Mind, the only reason they could do that is the SNP legislation making it illegal to turf out the lieges during the Festival. The new anti-airbnb powers will also be interesting.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    Great little tweet from Alastair

https://twitter.com/alastairmeeks/status/1571243180447748098?s=21&t=0eB2Ba_LhG5V9eBr0bIQyw

“I will have such revenges on you both,
    That all the world shall—I will do such things—
    What they are, yet I know not, but they shall be
    The terrors of the earth!”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

… and there are all these posters and digital billboards with pictures of Her Maj and suddenly I am enclosed in proper sadness. Coming back to my Queenless country for the first time in my life. I don’t like it. A great forest has been felled. The hill is ugly and bare

Quite choked

I am in it, just gone past London Bridge
    Have you got enough battery power to issue a few updates on your progress for a while ? I always actually find the Queue phenomenon interesting.
    Yes, have bought a charger, though I doubt many will be here for the 4am update
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Not if she keeps appointing allegedly dodgy people.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Maybe do something radical and give the gig to a Welshman?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Magic Moments played on r2 today. Spookily the first risqué joke I ever understood was What's the Queen's favourite record? Magic Moments on Philip's 12 inch.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,136
    Love my stupid country
  • Options

Don't be too quick to pooh pooh Fullbrook matter.

For one thing, reckon that most Brits have heard of the FBI, and will NOT think it's a plus for the Prime Minister's chief of staff to be questioned > grilled by US G-men.

How much it goes beyond that, depends on developments. Which I'm guessing will NOT include the FBI or DOJ giving Fullbrook a clean bill of health any time soon.

What does being questioned by the FBI actually mean though? Helping them with their enquiries or under suspicion?
    Could be either. Or both. My guess is the latter, but in what proportions?

My own (non-lawyer) guess is that THAT likely depends the tune Fullbrook is singing to the FBI.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Toms said:

Is it possible to grieve privately? Or must one be seen formally? Would talking to friends and family do? I suppose all those ways must be adequate.

Seems be signalling of some sort..
    Some of us get a little crabbit on occasion.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/invertebrates/design-beautiful-weapon
  • Options

Innocent until proved guilty.. except on here.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    At the moment as we wade through the streets of London to our ultimate destination it is the closest thing to a 21st century pilgrimage for the masses, not just the very religious, to the remains of St Elizabeth of Windsor
  • Options
    Omg EDF say my annual spend up from 752 to 883. No gas.

I will survive.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Slight problem there ... unless he self-identifies.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Owain Glyndwr vibes
  • Options

No, its either Truss out or bad news for the Monarchy as only 88% of goldfish owners say they are in favour of King Charles III
    Aah a fishy poll....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,935
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,962
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

At the moment as we wade through the streets of London to our ultimate destination it is the closest thing to a 21st century pilgrimage for the masses, not just the very religious, to the remains of St Elizabeth of Windsor

I was fervently assured there was nowt Catholic about this in the slightest, whatsoever.
  • Options

Innocent until proved guilty.. except on here.
    Not anywhere except in shit det novels.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sir Graham Brady to propose an amendment to the schools bill to allow new grammars and he believes the government will support it

https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1571209105175465987?s=20&t=8dTPrgG4ALcvVXlKc_Qxmw

Taking the nation back 50 years. Utter s***e!
    They seem determined to lose the next GE.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I was fervently assured there was nowt Catholic about this in the slightest, whatsoever.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Wiki:

"The only person canonised in a near-conventional sense by the Church of England since the English Reformation is King Charles the Martyr (King Charles I), although he is not widely recognised by Anglicans as a saint outside the Society of King Charles the Martyr. The Church of England has no mechanism for canonising saints, and unlike the Roman Catholic Church it makes no claims regarding the heavenly status of those whom it commemorates in its calendar. For this reason, the Church of England avoids the use of the prenominal title "Saint" with reference to uncanonised individuals and is restrained in what it says about them in its liturgical texts. In order not to seem to imply grades of sanctity, or to discriminate between holy persons of the pre- and post-Reformation periods, the title "Saint" is not used at all in the calendar, even with reference to those who have always been known by that title, for example the Apostles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_of_saints_(Church_of_England)
  • Options
    Tuesday and normality is going to be as weird as fuck isnt it?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    edited September 2022
    No wonder they can't buy a house... :smiley:

Dr Richard Gomer 🌈🦖🏳️‍⚧️ 🌻
    @richardgomer
    ·
    8h
    I put some truffle on my avocado toast today. Would recommend to other bougie millennials.

https://twitter.com/richardgomer/status/1571119935837057024
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

Wah hey. Some talk. Others do.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

I really do believe some would rather people freeze to death than horror of horrors burn a little more fossil fuel as we transition to the greener future.
    Except that’s a strawman isn’t it? All the fossil fuel proposals are long term, of marginal benefit and largely in there to make some questionable culture war points. Playground policy when what we need is an actual strategy.
    I think we need to be realistic about getting to the end state. Sadly current events have shown us the fragility of relying on the global energy market. Becoming a bit less exposed while still working to net zero is not necessarily the wrong thing to do. We have chosen not to burn the vast amounts of coal left in the U.K. We wish to avoid putting any more CO2 into the atmosphere than necessary. But we face a real prospect of people dying through freezing weather because of the war in Ukraine.
    I agree with all of that (or almost all - we’ll be burning a bit of coal this winter but we don’t need much). But it ain’t where Truss is going. She’s putting her fingers in her ears and shouting la la la. Her fracking policy is irrelevant to the current energy crisis.

Boris could have fast-tracked significant wind installations from February this year that would be on stream now, through tax reliefs and grants. He didn’t because he was asleep on the job. He could also have subsidised insulation and energy efficient boiler replacements for a fraction of the energy price freeze and probably as a result reduced the cost of that freeze. Now Truss is talking about policies for several years hence.

But wind installations have been fast tracked, we have I believe the worlds largest ever wind installations coming online this year and next year. Everyone I've heard from that works in that sector says they are fully booked and developing things as fast as is possible.

Now maybe its possible to do more, it might always be possible to do more, but it is coming online. But we need hydrocarbons
    as well as renewables while we transition.

Suggesting we should only be doing renewables is the real putting fingers in ears
    and shouting la la la and leaves us exposed to
    the volatility of the global market and
    unsavoury characters.
    The thing is, installing new renewables generation gives Britain additional cheap energy, under our control. Developing new fossil fuel sources in Britain adds minute amounts to a global market where British generators pay global market prices. Unless we nationalise power generation, the only way to reduce energy prices during a gas price bubble is to reduce our dependency on gas.

Which is why we should do the renewables and invest in new domestic gas supplies. Its not either/or, its both.

Yes we need to reduce our dependency on
    gas, but that can't be done by clicking your heels three times. Ensuring we have more domestic resources as well as getting renewables done, not instead of it, is a rational solution.
    If that’s going to make any difference then it needs to be “ours”. I.e. nationalised. Otherwise it’s just adding a few drops into a global market. Whereas power generation itself is domestic, for the domestic market.
    There's alternatives to nationalisation, like contracts and or taxation etc too. Supplies can be both private and "ours".
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited September 2022

Why don't you write one instead of constantly complaining.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Wiki:

"The only person canonised in a near-conventional sense by the Church of England since the English Reformation is King Charles the Martyr (King Charles I), although he is not widely recognised by Anglicans as a saint outside the Society of King Charles the Martyr. The Church of England has no mechanism for canonising saints, and unlike the Roman Catholic Church it makes no claims regarding the heavenly status of those whom it commemorates in its calendar. For this reason, the Church of England avoids the use of the prenominal title "Saint" with reference to uncanonised individuals and is restrained in what it says about them in its liturgical texts. In order not to seem to imply grades of sanctity, or to discriminate between holy persons of the pre- and post-Reformation periods, the title "Saint" is not used at all in the calendar, even with reference to those who have always been known by that title, for example the Apostles."

Yet another Church of England fudge.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sir Graham Brady to propose an amendment to the schools bill to allow new grammars and he believes the government will support it

https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1571209105175465987?s=20&t=8dTPrgG4ALcvVXlKc_Qxmw

Will be popular with the Tory core vote though and Truss desperately needs to shore up her core support
    Fortunately I live in Wales so no such bollocks for me to worry about. But nonetheless your Government is an utter vacuum. A tragedy. What a shame.
    Such an odd notion that the answer to the big issues of 2022 could be a return to grammar schools. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

Don’t know about the queue but I’m glad I came back even if I am sad. I had to experience this before the funeral. Not that my feelings matter an iota but you know what I mean

For my own psychic health I have to do a bit of grieving. I’ve been avoiding it in foreign parts
    She's gone.
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

I really do believe some would rather people freeze to death than horror of horrors burn a little more fossil fuel as we transition to the greener future.
    Except that’s a strawman isn’t it? All the fossil fuel proposals are long term, of marginal benefit and largely in there to make some questionable culture war points. Playground policy when what we need is an actual strategy.
    I think we need to be realistic about getting to the end state. Sadly current events have shown us the fragility of relying on the global energy market. Becoming a bit less exposed while still working to net zero is not necessarily the wrong thing to do. We have chosen not to burn the vast amounts of coal left in the U.K. We wish to avoid putting any more CO2 into the atmosphere than necessary. But we face a real prospect of people dying through freezing weather because of the war in Ukraine.
    I agree with all of that (or almost all - we’ll be burning a bit of coal this winter but we don’t need much). But it ain’t where Truss is going. She’s putting her fingers in her ears and shouting la la la. Her fracking policy is irrelevant to the current energy crisis.

Boris could have fast-tracked significant wind installations from February this year that would be on stream now, through tax reliefs and grants. He didn’t because he was asleep on the job. He could also have subsidised insulation and energy efficient boiler replacements for a fraction of the energy price freeze and probably as a result reduced the cost of that freeze. Now Truss is talking about policies for several years hence.

But wind installations have been fast tracked, we have I believe the worlds largest ever wind installations coming online this year and next year. Everyone I've heard from that works in that sector says they are fully booked and developing things as fast as is possible.

Now maybe its possible to do more, it might always be possible to do more, but it is coming online. But we need hydrocarbons
    as well as renewables while we transition.

Suggesting we should only be doing renewables is the real putting fingers in ears
    and shouting la la la and leaves us exposed to
    the volatility of the global market and
    unsavoury characters.
    The thing is, installing new renewables generation gives Britain additional cheap energy, under our control. Developing new fossil fuel sources in Britain adds minute amounts to a global market where British generators pay global market prices. Unless we nationalise power generation, the only way to reduce energy prices during a gas price bubble is to reduce our dependency on gas.

Which is why we should do the renewables and invest in new domestic gas supplies. Its not either/or, its both.

Yes we need to reduce our dependency on
    gas, but that can't be done by clicking your heels three times. Ensuring we have more domestic resources as well as getting renewables done, not instead of it, is a rational solution.
    If that’s going to make any difference then it needs to be “ours”. I.e. nationalised. Otherwise it’s just adding a few drops into a
    global market. Whereas power generation itself is domestic, for the domestic market.
    There's alternatives to nationalisation, like contracts and or taxation etc too. Supplies can be both private and "ours".
    Long term contracts would indeed help, so long as they are not fixed during an artificially high point in the commodity cycle.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,562
    edited September 2022

Why is FBI questioning Mark Fullbrook?

[snip]

There is no suggestion CT Group or Mr Fullbrook knew anything about the alleged bribery of the governor.

A spokesperson for the company said: "CT was engaged only by Mr Herrera and only to conduct opinion research for him and no one else. It never did any work for, nor presented any research findings to, the Governor or her campaign. It has not been engaged by him since.

"CT Group is committed to and complies with all laws and regulations in any jurisdiction in which it works and is confident that it has done so in this matter. . . ." . . . .

I get its a slow news week with nothing to talk about but MournHub but unless there's more to the story than this, its really scraping the barrel.
    There is PLENTY more to this story, which has been brewing for some time, as per coverage (mostly NOT mentioning Fullbrook) in US media.

His appointment by Liz Truss as her chief of staff connects some interesting dots, namely Tory megadonations with US campaign finance law criminal violations. Even IF he's pure as the driven snow.

Doubt if FBI is really pushing this angle, if anything would avoid it due to his connection with Prime Minister. PROVIDED he spills whatever beans he's got to spill.

On other hand, doubt they'd shy away just because of that IF they thought he was a major (as opposed to minor) culprit.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Wiki:

Plenty of it on sale in cathedral souvenir shops.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Aah a fishy poll....
    Also, the pollster forgot to specify which Charles III was meant. Bonnie Prince Charlie is terribly romantic these days.
  • Options
    Fighting in downtown Kherson tonight.
  • Options

At least we can get some actual news.

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Wiki:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Wiki:

There are few churches named after CII.

Here is one in Potters Bar:

https://kcm-church.org.uk/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    edited September 2022
    There are further reports of sectarian violence in Leicester tonight following an earlier protest march.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/major-police-response-chief-constable-7598842

@leicspolice
    Community leaders from East Leicester are on the ground with officers and T/CC Rob Nixon.

All are calling for calm and encouraging people to go home.

Please avoid the area while our police operation continues.

https://twitter.com/leicspolice/status/1571243273037008897
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,136
    Looks like serious shit going down in Kherson
  • Options

William is already Prince of Scotland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Scotland
  • Options
    Stand by your boilers...

Scott Duncan
    @ScottDuncanWX
    Impressive cold shot following record hot start to September 📈📉

It hit 40°C a few days ago in France and now we have heavy snow falling below 1500m in the northern Alps.

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1571158512570343426
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

Say goodbye for me. Seriously. 👍🍺
    Will do
    I hope it is not too tiring or cold for you.

We've already had one - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/20/one-current-leader-and-one-future-one/

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Stand by your boilers...

Scott Duncan
    @ScottDuncanWX

It hit 40°C a few days ago in France and now we have heavy snow falling below 1500m in the northern Alps.

If it's a cold winter this year, shit - meet fan.
  • Options

Stand by your boilers...

Scott Duncan
    @ScottDuncanWX

This is the problem with a La Niña in the pacific and warm water in the central North Atlantic. Blocking to our NW in autumn and early winter. But also, hopefully, westerlies in late winter and spring.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The BBC does have a slight cheek to have an article titled "What now for America's fascination with the royals?" on a homepage almost entirely dominated by articles about the royals.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

Will do

We've already had one - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/20/one-current-leader-and-one-future-one/

About ideal temperature really, if a little breezy now
  • Options
    TimS said:

I believe the regional tax rate proposal is a potential vote winner. She and Kwazi should go for it.
    There is already in the statute books ready to be implemented a lower CT rate for Northern Ireland.

What evidence is there around the impact of regional income tax?

Has there been material movements to and from Scotland following the changes to the Scottish tax rates?
  • Options
    I reckon the Royal family should have charged £5 to visit the Queen. Could have raised enough to pay off Andrew's next court case.
  • Options

TimS said:

I believe the regional tax rate proposal is a potential vote winner. She and Kwazi should go for it.
    There is already in the statute books ready to be implemented a lower CT rate for Northern Ireland.

Has there been material movements to and from Scotland following the changes to the Scottish tax rates?
    It is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how large businesses think and work imho. There are so many other important factors as to where to invest than the CT rate. Way more important.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

Will do

About ideal temperature really, if a little breezy now
    Please keep us informed of your progress 👍
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Don't be too quick to pooh pooh Fullbrook matter.

For one thing, reckon that most Brits have heard of the FBI, and will NOT think it's a plus for the Prime Minister's chief of staff to be questioned > grilled by US G-men.

How much it goes beyond that, depends on developments. Which I'm guessing will NOT include the FBI or DOJ giving Fullbrook a clean bill of health any time soon.

What does being questioned by the FBI actually mean though? Helping them with their enquiries or under suspicion?
    Could be either. Or both. My guess is the latter, but in what proportions?

My own (non-lawyer) guess is that THAT likely depends the tune Fullbrook is singing to the FBI.
    The FBI have to jump through a lot of hoops to interview someone in a foreign jurisdiction. It's not done on a whim or just in case or as a filler. So it's pretty serious for it to have reached this stage.

Whether it's because he is under suspicion or simply as a witness who can say.

It's not the public she has to worry about re this. It's her own MPs. If this fellow makes any sort of misstep in relation to politics here, then questions will be asked about whether it was wise to appoint him. Plus if there are ethical questions arising (and there already seem to be a few to my mind) it's helpful to have someone - let's call them an ethics advisor - to assist and, cynically, to take the flak and provide some distance between the offending person and the PM.

Truss has no such person so if - and it is only an "if" at this stage - things go horribly wrong, roads lead directly back to her.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,439

HYUFD said:

Living in a selective area, and going through the process at the moment, I'm not a massive fan of grammar schools.
    However, it is an utter absurdity that we can't have new ones at all. What that leads to is the worst schools expanding rather than the best ones.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    You just know it’s only a matter of time until the Tories freeports policy morphs into abolishing the minimum wage.

Their ideology is toxic.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

I reckon the Royal family should have charged £5 to visit the Queen. Could have raised enough to pay off Andrew's next court case.

I’m beginning to regret whistling for your attention now 🤦‍♀️
  • Options

TimS said:

It is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how large businesses think and work imho. There are so many other important factors as to where to invest than the CT rate. Way more important.

This is the income tax rate for individuals, not CT.

But the CT rate and reliefs are important. Not all-important, but not irrelevant either. It’s what I do for a living.

The experience in the US with state rates and Germany with municipal tax shows the behavioural impact clearly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,601

There are further reports of sectarian violence in Leicester tonight following an earlier protest march.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/major-police-response-chief-constable-7598842

@leicspolice
    Community leaders from East Leicester are on the ground with officers and T/CC Rob Nixon.

All are calling for calm and encouraging people to go home.

Please avoid the area while our police operation continues.

https://twitter.com/leicspolice/status/1571243273037008897

Cricket hooliganism...
  • Options

I’m beginning to regret whistling for your attention now 🤦‍♀️
    Just my Opinium
  • Options

Eric Holthaus
    @EricHolthaus
    ·
    36m
    Brand new track forecast from
    @NHC_Atlantic
    has the core of #Fiona tracking directly across Puerto Rico at hurricane strength on Sunday.

This is an extremely dangerous situation — expect major flooding across the entire island and widespread power outages lasting weeks.

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1571258585396514816
  • Options
    Leon said:

Not entirely clear what is going on. Some claims that it is all being staged by the Russians, though why?
  • Options
    Starting to think OGH might not like Liz Truss much?

Another day, another set of newspapers not reporting the news, boring
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I've just watched an hour of the queue. Utterly compelling. I wish I was there. If I had fewer family responsibilities, I would be (though the number of children passing through is remarkable). I may not share the faith in the institution, but I share the respect for the individual at the centre of it. But more importantly, it would be nice, for once, to be a part of something bigger.
    Why aren't I a monarchist? Well, several reasons, some heart and some head. None of them very strongly felt. It seems a daft way to pick the head of state - though the random chance of genetic inheritance is probably no worse than the random chance of any other method; there is no way of getting rid of a bad monarch; my hackles rise at deference, at phrases like 'his highness'. And I've never been one for joining in unreservedly. But I've realised, watching the queue, what I really don't like about monarchy - and this is very much a 'heart' issue - is the Hello-magazine/Nichola-Witchell celebrity culture of it. Oh, the inanity! Because The Queue isn't that at all. It's almost the antithesis of that. It's about the late Queen, in her role as monarch - almost as mysterious and free of ego in death as she was in life - and hundreds of thousands of her subjects, who have chosen to be there.

And isn't this brilliant telly? When did the BBC last televise anything with such a lack of inanity? No commentary, no music. So much modern telly - fact and fiction - is terrified you won't buy into an event emotionally; but we spot attempts at emotional manipulationand our guard rises. Whoever made the brave decision just to let the pictures speak for themselves should be applauded.
    Also, while this looks a little mad, consider how much madder it must look to those less inured to some of the oddities of Britishness. I mean, the coffin is flanked by Queen's Guards, Household Cavalry and Beefeaters. To those unfamiliar with them, these must be some pretty startling costumes. And the response of the public - the midpoint of which is a curt little bow. You've queued for 12 hours; is this how you're going to express yourself? Yes, it is. You're British. You're not demonstrative. This is how British people mourn. I feel oddly proud. It's the opposite of how pageantry normally makes me feel.

Hats off to any pbers who have, or are, going through this.

Each to their own, I don't give a toss
  • Options
    Re: the Puerto Rico caper, here is sample of US coverage, from August:

https://www.courthousenews.com/ex-puerto-rico-gov-wanda-vazquez-charged-with-bribery/

And here is report of March 2022 guilty pleading in federal court, to conspiracy, bribery and kickbacks, by political consultant who orchestrated the scheme.

Includes actual filing in US District Court for Puerto Rico, which says that "Political Consulting Firm A" aka "the London folks" submitted an invoice for GBP 263,000 for "Financial, Economic and Political research - both Qualitative and Quantitative" to the banker's minions.

This was in March 2020, shortly after a Feb 28 meeting at luxury hotel in San Juan between the Governor, banker and "consultants and partners from Political Consulting Firm A" during which they presented their proposal for "consulting services it could offer to Public Official A in support of her election campaign".

According to the filing, the PR banking regulator was forced by the Governor to resign on the same day.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Not entirely clear what is going on. Some claims that it is all being staged by the Russians, though why?
    Seems to be most likely a shoot out with partisans.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598

I'm looking forward to a return to normal political discussion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Quite choked

You can always queue up yourself! You have until 6.30am Monday.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,978

I hope you are going to wait until @HYUFD gets home from The Queue before you publish it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm looking forward to a return to normal political discussion.
    Totally agree, the CoL crisis has not gone away, however much people might pretend. There are bigger issues than the Queen
  • Options
    People keep saying I will regret not joining the queue.

Nope.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    The Daily Mail front page has between forty and fifty articles today either on the queen or other members of the royal family. That's the kind of counter-productive excess which will lead to some of its readers just ignoring the whole publication, I would imagine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited September 2022

Nope.

Is that what people were saying? Or was it that those who were thinking about it but have not will regret not doing so?
  • Options

The Daily Mail front page has between forty and fifty articles today either on the queen or other members of the royal family. That's the kind of counter-productive excess which will lead to some of its readers just ignoring the whole publication, I would imagine.

We've gone way past sensible. This Queen stuff should not be front page news any more.
  • Options

I hope you are going to wait until @HYUFD gets home from The Queue before you publish it.
    It is a ludicrous header anyway, being Prince of Wales recognises Wales' place in the Kingdom of England within the United Kingdom of England and Scotland as GB and Northern Ireland
  • Options

He’ll still be upset that his 250-1 Sunak bet failed.
  • Options

Re: the Puerto Rico caper, here is sample of US coverage, from August:

https://www.courthousenews.com/ex-puerto-rico-gov-wanda-vazquez-charged-with-bribery/

And here is report of March 2022 guilty pleading in federal court, to conspiracy, bribery and kickbacks, by political consultant who orchestrated the scheme.

Includes actual filing in US District Court for Puerto Rico, which says that "Political Consulting Firm A" aka "the London folks" submitted an invoice for GBP 263,000 for "Financial, Economic and Political research - both Qualitative and Quantitative" to the banker's minions.

This was in March 2020, shortly after a Feb 28 meeting at luxury hotel in San Juan between the Governor, banker and "consultants and partners from Political Consulting Firm A" during which they presented their proposal for "consulting services it could offer to Public Official A in support of her election campaign".

According to the filing, the PR banking regulator was forced by the Governor to resign on the same day.

Sorry, forgot to post source of the last bit
    https://d1softballnews.com/john-blakeman-campaign-collaborator-of-wanda-vazquez-pleaded-guilty-in-march-at-the-federal-level/
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Nope.

Trust me, it beats waiting for Starmer to get a hung parliament in 2 years time! I doubt anyone will be queuing for the lying in state of Liz Truss or Sir Keir
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nope.

Is that what people were saying? Or was it that those who were thinking about it but have not will regret not doing so?
    Two people I was having lunch with said I would.

Nope.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It is a ludicrous header anyway, being Prince of Wales recognises Wales' place in the Kingdom of England within the United Kingdom of England and Scotland as GB and Northern Ireland
    Look after yourself tonight. I hope you don’t have to wait too long. I will read your comments in the morning.
  • Options

We've gone way past sensible. This Queen stuff should not be front page news any more.
    That's as mebbe. Back to the usual political shit slinging monkeys on Tuesday, so enjoy the detox for now.
  • Options

Farhana Shaikh
    @farhanashaikh
    ·
    54m
    Hearing reports of mass disturbance near Melton Road. The authorities - esp the police - have failed our communities here. Faith and community leaders and MPs needed to do more to call this out a lot sooner rather than let it escalate. Shameful!
  • Options

Look, mate, I loathe and detest all possible forms of association football at the local, national, international and world levels, together with all and any supporters, commentators and gamblers on same. Several times a year I find I have to stfu about this, and I do. It passes.

There's a fuck of a lot more footy than there is royal jubes funes etc. Go for walks till Tuesday morning or get a hobby.
  • Options

Farhana Shaikh
    @farhanashaikh
    ·
    54m
    Hearing reports of mass disturbance near Melton Road. The authorities - esp the police - have failed our communities here. Faith and community leaders and MPs needed to do more to call this out a lot sooner rather than let it escalate. Shameful!

The disturbers may not be utterly blameless
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900

Farhana Shaikh
    @farhanashaikh
    ·
    54m

Glasgow looks on, pensive.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I've just watched an hour of the queue. Utterly compelling. I wish I was there. If I had fewer family responsibilities, I would be (though the number of children passing through is remarkable). I may not share the faith in the institution, but I share the respect for the individual at the centre of it. But more importantly, it would be nice, for once, to be a part of something bigger.
    Why aren't I a monarchist? Well, several reasons, some heart and some head. None of them very strongly felt. It seems a daft way to pick the head of state - though the random chance of genetic inheritance is probably no worse than the random chance of any other method; there is no way of getting rid of a bad monarch; my hackles rise at deference, at phrases like 'his highness'. And I've never been one for joining in unreservedly. But I've realised, watching the queue, what I really don't like about monarchy - and this is very much a 'heart' issue - is the Hello-magazine/Nichola-Witchell celebrity culture of it. Oh, the inanity! Because The Queue isn't that at all. It's almost the antithesis of that. It's about the late Queen, in her role as monarch - almost as mysterious and free of ego in death as she was in life - and hundreds of thousands of her subjects, who have chosen to be there.

And isn't this brilliant telly? When did the BBC last televise anything with such a lack of inanity? No commentary, no music. So much modern telly - fact and fiction - is terrified you won't buy into an event emotionally; but we spot attempts at emotional manipulationand our guard rises. Whoever made the brave decision just to let the pictures speak for themselves should be applauded.
    Also, while this looks a little mad, consider how much madder it must look to those less inured to some of the oddities of Britishness. I mean, the coffin is flanked by Queen's Guards, Household Cavalry and Beefeaters. To those unfamiliar with them, these must be some pretty startling costumes. And the response of the public - the midpoint of which is a curt little bow. You've queued for 12 hours; is this how you're going to express yourself? Yes, it is. You're British. You're not demonstrative. This is how British people mourn. I feel oddly proud. It's the opposite of how pageantry normally makes me feel.

Hats off to any pbers who have, or are, going through this.

I hope you look back in the future with embarrassment at having gibbered away like that.

"I may not share the faith in the institution, but I share the respect for the individual at the centre of it."

That is such crap. You know monarchy is about an individual, right? With opponents like you, it hardly needs supporters.
  • Options

Farhana Shaikh
    @farhanashaikh
    ·
    54m

It seems to have all gone quiet for a week, and police made 19 arrests. Following the victory of Pakistan in the cricket. Police do seem to be keeping the communities apart.

https://twitter.com/Majstar7/status/1571239184509145090?t=BPHicDb8eE0l6vB5FIfPJQ&s=19

It sounds that tonight's events were set off by Hindu militants marching through Green Lane (predominately Muslim) leading to a counter group of Muslims going to the Belgrave/Melton rd area (predominately Hindu).

• Options

I would love to think you're right, but I fear they know their market well at the Heil.
    Any sign of displeasure in the comments?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We have to support fossil fuels in the short-term to stop the country running out of energy.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Look, mate, I loathe and detest all possible forms of association football at the local, national, international and world levels, together with all and any supporters, commentators and gamblers on same. Several times a year I find I have to stfu about this, and I do. It passes.

There's a fuck of a lot more footy than there is royal jubes funes etc. Go for walks till Tuesday morning or get a hobby.
    I am allowed to say what I think just as much as you do.

It is way over the top and repetitive, just as football is - in fact I detest both equally.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I am allowed to say what I think just as much as you do.

It is way over the top and repetitive, just as football is - in fact I detest both equally.
    Yes, but so are you. Makes it worse.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

Ironic.
  • Options

The weird thing will be when Charles starts appearing on banknotes.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Dynamo said:

I would love to think you're right, but I fear they know their market well at the Heil.
    Any sign of displeasure in the comments?
    Their comments have been premoderated since the start of the mourning. Most of this will be pure over-control, and I suspect a bit will be efforts to restrict pre-planned trolling campaigns from a couple of chaps I suspect you may be familiar with.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    I’m settling into a houseboat on the James River, Virginia. First job in the morning, go and get some US bug spray.
This discussion has been closed.