Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Minding Our Manners – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I'm in a Primrose Hill pub full of parents, especially loud wealthy boring fathers talking about their investments and/or their cricketing trips to Australia, and every single annoying small boy seems to be called "Leo" or "Theo"

I sometimes understand why the world hates north Londoners

Why are people so conformist when it comes to names?
    My father wasn't when it came to mine! Fortunately for my sister he was away from home when she was born.

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I'm in a Primrose Hill pub full of parents, especially loud wealthy boring fathers talking about their investments and/or their cricketing trips to Australia, and every single annoying small boy seems to be called "Leo" or "Theo"

Yeah I know that one - it makes you want to execute a few rabbit punches doesn't it.
    Really does. I’m close to chucking my drink over one of them. Obnoxious mixture of arrogance and tediousness

If you’re going to talk REALLY LOUDLY at least make it interesting. Not just vapid boasting badly disguised as conversation. Pity his wife

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

My father wasn't when it came to mine! Fortunately for my sister he was away from home when she was born.

I have a friend called Denephew. His parents hoped for a girl and were going to call her Denise.
    The old ones are the best ones!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I have a friend called Denephew. His parents hoped for a girl and were going to call her Denise.
    I know him! One of the Linesofcokeinmytimes, amirite?
  • Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yeah I know that one - it makes you want to execute a few rabbit punches doesn't it.
    Really does. I’m close to chucking my drink over one of them. Obnoxious mixture of arrogance and tediousness

If you’re going to talk REALLY LOUDLY at least make it interesting. Not just vapid boasting badly disguised as conversation. Pity his wife

Are they drowning out your conversation about all the locations you've been to recently?

My sympathies.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No. But even a weedy attempt deserves some recognition.
    MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

https://nypost.com/2022/08/16/white-minnesota-teachers-would-be-laid-off-first-under-new-contract/

Imagine being part of a union that throws you under the bus.

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1559543142239637506?s=20&t=dfhhC1Gt4Ij2tAgNF4w3DQ

"EXCLUSIVE: The RAF has effectively paused making job offers to white male recruits in favour of women & ethnic minorities to meet "impossible" diversity targets, sources claim. The head of
    @RoyalAirForce recruitment has resigned in protest, they said"

The madness spreads. It really isn't getting better, it's getting worse

I’m puzzled by these increasingly insane variations on affirmative action. How can they even be legal?

It’s racism against whites and Asians. And even if it is legal, surely it will be sent to the SCOTUS and struck down?

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Are they drowning out your conversation about all the locations you've been to recently?

My sympathies.
    I don't SHOUT LOUDLY ABOUT MY EXTENSIVE TRAVELS in London pubs. But if I was so minded, I could really make this guy look like a parochial twat
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

https://nypost.com/2022/08/16/white-minnesota-teachers-would-be-laid-off-first-under-new-contract/

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1559543142239637506?s=20&t=dfhhC1Gt4Ij2tAgNF4w3DQ

"EXCLUSIVE: The RAF has effectively paused making job offers to white male recruits in favour of women & ethnic minorities to meet "impossible" diversity targets, sources claim. The head of

I’m puzzled by these increasingly insane variations on affirmative action. How can they even be legal?

It’s racism against whites and Asians. And even if it is legal, surely it will be sent to the SCOTUS and struck down?
    Thatcher of course was said to have expected the backlash against 'Thatcherism' to be much stronger, much earlier. This is the opposite of that
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My sympathies.
    I don't SHOUT LOUDLY ABOUT MY EXTENSIVE TRAVELS in London pubs. But if I was so minded, I could really make this guy look like a parochial twat
    I'm surprised to learn anyone travels extensively in London pubs, let alone that they shout loudly about doing so. Well, with the possible exception of @londonpubman anyway.
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

They have been at it since 1978, but it looks like it might get Roe v Waded very shortly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/02/supreme-court-affirmative-action-harvard

it seems not to work in that you'd expect the generation of offspring of the 1978ers to be coming through on their own merits if it had done

Have to say, you saying I am weirdly obsessed with slavery is like you railing permanently about the existence of night, and calling me weirdly obsessed with the rotation of the earth.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

In the spirit of the original, I thought. Unless it is actual true, in which case the parents are obv the Completeanduttercs.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

When we named our daughters we spent a while discussing the names and we wanted to choose names that you could imagine doing any job when they're grown up. A name that you could imagine a doctor, or a lawyer, or a teacher an accountant or anything else having.

Fair enough a lot of those people use surnames anyway, but using first names is increasingly common. We went for classic names as we didn't want anything that would stop them being taken seriously.
    In the past people were a lot more conformist about names as they would use them as a form of ancestor worship. My mother says that we have large numbers of Edwards and Georges in the family history, generation after generation. And my daughter has an old-fashioned middle name to honour a great-grandmother.

These days it's generally more common for people to seek to be nonconformist with names. It's a staple complaint on Mumsnet for people to moan when a friend/relation has "stolen" a name they intended to use for their child.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Monkeys said:

Midway through last December I decided to see what it would be like if I just turned the heating off and kept it off. I'm physically able enough to do it, and mentally infirm enough to want to try. We had a few nights of below zero temperatures but it wasn't the coldest winter. For anyone thinking of the same, I needed good thick socks - there's a danger of chilblains. I used lots of blankets and hoodies. Scarves might be useful. If you're physically healthy and can keep your toes warm, it's fine. I also spent a week or so at a friend's cottage who has to do the same, not through choice, but they had a fireplace they could utilise.

For older, or more physically infirm people, all of that is a bit "if you get covid drink a cup of hot broth," and of course it doesn't beat the standing charge which will on its own must be going to cost more than all of the energy I used last winter. For the physically able it's perfectly possible and I suspect will be necessary for a lot both here and across Europe.

On renewable energy - is it too mentally infirm to suggest mining BTC when there's excess production?

Interesting about the socks.

On renewable energy - I'll be shouted down for saying it in this forum which is very anti bitcoin, but yes, there is a strong case that bitcoin mining makes renewable energy projects that are otherwise economically unviable, viable. The way it does this is by using surplus energy (that would otherwise be lost, as it is too expensive or too hard to store) to generate income.

Much of the power that renewables generate is lost because it's generated when we don't need it and can't store it. On-site bitcoin mining uses that surplus power to generate an income, thereby reducing the cost of the renewable.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

In the spirit of the original, I thought. Unless it is actual true, in which case the parents are obv the Completeanduttercs.
    Worst name fail I ever came across (for real this time) was a woman called Emma who married a man called Peter Royde.

Why she didn't have the sense to get him to take her name rather than she his, I have no idea, but she didn't.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Good news is the wholesale gas price down 10% in the last 3 1/2 hrs.

https://www.theice.com/products/910/UK-Natural-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5253323

Crazy volatility.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

When we named our daughters we spent a while discussing the names and we wanted to choose names that you could imagine doing any job when they're grown up. A name that you could imagine a doctor, or a lawyer, or a teacher an accountant or anything else having.

Fair enough a lot of those people use surnames anyway, but using first names is increasingly common. We went for classic names as we didn't want anything that would stop them being taken seriously.
    In the past people were a lot more conformist about names as they would use them as a form of ancestor worship. My mother says that we have large numbers of Edwards and Georges in the family history, generation after generation. And my daughter has an old-fashioned middle name to honour a great-grandmother.

These days it's generally more common for people to seek to be nonconformist with names. It's a staple complaint on Mumsnet for people to moan when a friend/relation has "stolen" a name they intended to use for their child.
    I thought it was great when Footballers' Wives had the excellent joke of a female character first name Chardonnay, and several hundred Chardonnays a year have been registered ever since.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

There used to be fairly regular rules of allocation of names through the generations in families, certainly in Scotland until recent years. The duplication (name passed to eldest son and thence to eldest son, for instance) makes family history research confusing; on the other hand, the frequent use of the mother's maiden surname (or whatever) as a middle name makes it easier ... in my case, my parents broke with tradition, somewhat to family disapproval, and my eldest male cousin ended up with my father's and grandfather's name ...
    kyf_100 said:

Monkeys said:

Midway through last December I decided to see what it would be like if I just turned the heating off and kept it off. I'm physically able enough to do it, and mentally infirm enough to want to try. We had a few nights of below zero temperatures but it wasn't the coldest winter. For anyone thinking of the same, I needed good thick socks - there's a danger of chilblains. I used lots of blankets and hoodies. Scarves might be useful. If you're physically healthy and can keep your toes warm, it's fine. I also spent a week or so at a friend's cottage who has to do the same, not through choice, but they had a fireplace they could utilise.

For older, or more physically infirm people, all of that is a bit "if you get covid drink a cup of hot broth," and of course it doesn't beat the standing charge which will on its own must be going to cost more than all of the energy I used last winter. For the physically able it's perfectly possible and I suspect will be necessary for a lot both here and across Europe.

On renewable energy - is it too mentally infirm to suggest mining BTC when there's excess production?

On renewable energy - I'll be shouted down for saying it in this forum which is very anti bitcoin, but yes, there is a strong case that bitcoin mining makes renewable energy projects that are otherwise economically unviable, viable. The way it does this is by using surplus energy (that would otherwise be lost, as it is too expensive or too hard to store) to generate income.

Much of the power that renewables generate is lost because it's generated when we don't need it and can't store it. On-site bitcoin mining uses that surplus power to generate an income, thereby reducing the cost of the renewable.
    Define "much". From what knowledge I have only a small proportion of the electricity generated by renewables is lost in this way.

The evidence is stronger that Bitcoin mining subsidises continued coal burning. In order to defray the capital cost of the computer equipment the mining rigs will be run continuously, not for brief periods in stormy winter nights when there is an excess of wind energy.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

Many an expectant mother heard to curse as their friend introduces little Buttplug
    My first name is excellent and biblical, my middle name is my grandfathers name and my surname is short and inoffensive. I am the best named man in Christendom
  • Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

One tradition like that I always expected to follow was that the tradition in my family is for the eldest son to have their father's first name as their middle name. A tradition my parents didn't intend to follow when I was born, but then did after my granddad explained it would mean a lot to him if they did - I'm about sixth in a line of first-born sons following that tradition. In a little way then via the tradition despite only having one middle name the continuity of that made me think of a connection to my granddad and his dad and so on back to the 18th century the run goes as secret continuous extensions to the name.

When we got married my wife agreed that if we had a son we could keep that tradition up, she wasn't keen at first but agreed to it as it was 'only' the middle name. However we only had girls so that tradition dies with me.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    This is a good header, but the time for this debate was about 15 years ago. The ship has sailed.
    It is an example of how well intentioned legislation takes many years before the impact on society gets understood.

An old colleague of mine destroyed a very promising civil service career 13 years ago by telling anyone that would listen that the equalities bill, which he was working on in a peripheral capacity, would have catastrophic effects on social cohesion. He condemned it, said it would be a total disaster etc, and shortly afterwards quit the civil service completely to go and work in the private sector.

At the time I thought that he just didn't like 'equalities', which I saw as being part of social progress. I was wrong, I understood nothing, and he was largely right.

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,440
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Worst name fail I ever came across (for real this time) was a woman called Emma who married a man called Peter Royde.

Why she didn't have the sense to get him to take her name rather than she his, I have no idea, but she didn't.
    Emma Ennis?
  • ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

They have been at it since 1978, but it looks like it might get Roe v Waded very shortly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/02/supreme-court-affirmative-action-harvard
    From the article:

Driver added that throughout the years, Republican-appointed justices have “repeatedly resisted whatever temptation they have to impose constitutional colorblindness” in college admissions. Most notably, in 2003, Justice Sandra Day O’Connor upheld the University of Michigan Law School’s admissions program, ruling in Grutter v. Bollinger that because of its “individualized inquiry” into applicants, the program did not “unduly harm nonminority applicants”. It’s a precedent that is now under scrutiny. This court’s conservative majority makeup is distinct from past ones: Chief Justice John Roberts has espoused a more race-neutral approach to educational programs.

From the actual Grutter v. Bollinger judgment:

race-conscious admissions policies must be limited in time. The Court takes the Law School at its word that it would like nothing better than to find a race-neutral admissions formula and will terminate its use of racial preferences as soon as practicable. The Court expects that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary to further the interest approved today.

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

Thatcher of course was said to have expected the backlash against 'Thatcherism' to be much stronger, much earlier. This is the opposite of that
    If nothing else, the market will make this race madness uneconomic quite shortly

Take education, which is big business in America. I read recently that a black applicant to a top US med school is about ten times more likely to get in than an Asian applicant. That's great for black students, and, who knows, maybe it is justice after all these years, but it is really quite crap for Asian candidates, and this process is getting WORSE, with evermore discrimination against whites/Asians across all aspects of American education

Maybe the white students will meekly accept it, as they feel so guilty about the slavery their, erm, great great great great gandparents did, or something, but why should a Chinese student give a scintilla of a fuck about slavery?

They don't and they won't. So all the really bright Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc etc STEM students will no longer apply to American universities (especially as the Wokeness infests the curriculum too), they will either go to Europe, or, increasingly to unis in East Asia (see how their colleges are rising in the table). So American universities will lose TONS of student money, most of the best students, and their STEM departments will collapse, thus fucking up America's future, royally. And this process is being repeated in so many areas

America urgently needs the SCOTUS to strike down the nonsense

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Emma Ennis?
    Emma File
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

One tradition like that I always expected to follow was that the tradition in my family is for the eldest son to have their father's first name as their middle name. A tradition my parents didn't intend to follow when I was born, but then did after my granddad explained it would mean a lot to him if they did - I'm about sixth in a line of first-born sons following that tradition. In a little way then via the tradition despite only having one middle name the continuity of that made me think of a connection to my granddad and his dad and so on back to the 18th century the run goes as secret continuous extensions to the name.

When we got married my wife agreed that if we had a son we could keep that tradition up, she wasn't keen at first but agreed to it as it was 'only' the middle name. However we only had girls so that tradition dies with me.
    My middle name is my dad's first name. Then one of my cousins named her son after my dad and me, so his first and middle name are the same as mine, but the other way around.

My wife has the same middle name as all of her female relatives. And all of her male relatives have the same middle name. Kaur and Singh, respectively. Different cultures, different traditions.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

Logical thing would have been to give your first-born daughter either your wife's name as a middle name, or the feminine form of your name as a middle name - Google says Bartolomea is the feminine form of Bartholomew.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Too late for Boris to emulate ?

Outrage as Australians discover former prime minister secretly gave himself five additional ministries
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/aug/16/former-australian-prime-minister-scott-morrison-pm-secretly-gave-himself-five-ministerial-roles

Granted we don't have the same system, but multiple redundancy payments might be possible ?

What a bizarre story, with even most of the Cabinet unaware. If it was for the reasons he states, emergency safeguard, why wasn't it all completely in the open?
    It is bizarre. And it is his own Party who are lambasting him.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-serious-implications-of-morrison-s-shadow-grab-for-power-20220816-p5baax.html

It sets an extremely dangerous precedent in a Westminster system.
    It's in effect giving yourself Presidential veto powers. In secret.
    No it isn't, the Leader of the Opposition Peter Dutton has brushed off the issue and said Labor should be focusing on the day job, former Liberal PM John Howard has said Morrison should not resign. Turnbull and his ally the former Treasurer Frydenberg may have lambasted Morrison but they are on the other wing of the party and his former Home Minister if she was doing her job properly should have had no concerns about being checked up on during the Covid crisis.

The PM is entitled under the Westminster system to run his Cabinet entirely as he wishes, he leads the executive branch effectively after all
    Please stop talking nonsense about Australian politics - You are correct in saying Turnbull has no love for Morrison, but Josh Frydenberg hasn't yet made a comment about the situation given he apparently didn't find out until today.

John Howard was on the ABC and what he actually said was that Scott Morrison shouldn't resign as the Liberals could do without a by-election right now. It wasn't an endorsement of his behavior.

As I've already said I can confirm this is a big story down under.
    Actually John Howard also said 'There are reasons why he did it. And part of the conservative tradition is to always understand the context," he said. Plus 'Mr Howard said he did not believe "any criticism can be offered at the Governor-General" for signing off on Mr Morrison's appointments to the ministries, because on the face of it, it was "nothing illegal".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-16/john-howard-says-scott-morrison-should-remain-in-parliament/101339690

John Howard is the Thatcher of the Australian Liberal Party in his influence on it, so that is that.
    I have to say having a debate from Sydney with someone from Essex about what is and isn't a big deal in Australian politics is certainly novel!

Do you Wikipedia an overseas nations' political parties to find the right wing one before taking a stance on an issue?
    You appear not to have realised yet there is absolutely no point debating with @HYUFD. The fact he is entirely ignorant about 99% of human knowledge only encourages him.

Same with BartyBobbins.

Amusingly the two often argue amongst themselves, each refusing to give way, each totally bewildered by fact.
    Says the man who spent much of his life in NZ, now is based in New York and spends half the time arguing about UK politics
    True, but you subsist in a small bedsit in Essex, breathing through the mouth and wanking furiously over pictures you’ve cut out of Nadine Dorries’s head, pasted onto the bodies of weightlifters.
    For your information we are actually moving to a 4 bed house in more rural Essex later this year, not that I care where or how posters live
    You do seem to care because that is at least the second time you have told us you are moving from your one bedroom flat and with the added details you will now have 4 bedrooms. Not that you care.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

Many an expectant mother heard to curse as their friend introduces little Buttplug
    My first name is excellent and biblical, my middle name is my grandfathers name and my surname is short and inoffensive. I am the best named man in Christendom
    "Judas James Sunak"?
  • kyf_100 said:

Monkeys said:

Define "much". From what knowledge I have only a small proportion of the electricity generated by renewables is lost in this way.

The evidence is stronger that Bitcoin mining subsidises continued coal burning. In order to defray the capital cost of the computer equipment the mining rigs will be run continuously, not for brief periods in stormy winter nights when there is an excess of wind energy.
    There are plenty of sensible uses for surplus energy without suggesting things like Bitcoin that are ran continuously instead.

On-site electrolysis with offshore wind turbines is an excellent idea. Have the turbines generating power for consumption most of the time, but when there's a surplus then that surplus can be consumed generating hydrogen to be consumed as a fuel potentially elsewhere later on.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My sympathies.
    I'm surprised to learn anyone travels extensively in London pubs, let alone that they shout loudly about doing so. Well, with the possible exception of @londonpubman anyway.
    @leoan - go back to the same pub this time next year. I strongly suspect boring twat man will be silent on the state of his investments.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

If nothing else, the market will make this race madness uneconomic quite shortly

Take education, which is big business in America. I read recently that a black applicant to a top US med school is about ten times more likely to get in than an Asian applicant. That's great for black students, and, who knows, maybe it is justice after all these years, but it is really quite crap for Asian candidates, and this process is getting WORSE, with evermore discrimination against whites/Asians across all aspects of American education

Maybe the white students will meekly accept it, as they feel so guilty about the slavery their, erm, great great great great gandparents did, or something, but why should a Chinese student give a scintilla of a fuck about slavery?

They don't and they won't. So all the really bright Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc etc STEM students will no longer apply to American universities (especially as the Wokeness infests the curriculum too), they will either go to Europe, or, increasingly to unis in East Asia (see how their colleges are rising in the table). So American universities will lose TONS of student money, most of the best students, and their STEM departments will collapse, thus fucking up America's future, royally. And this process is being repeated in so many areas

It is a clusterfuck. Injustice bandaged with injustice
    edited August 2022

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

"Judas James Sunak"?
    Abednego Dorsalfin Loaf at your service

kyf_100 said:

Monkeys said:

There are plenty of sensible uses for surplus energy without suggesting things like Bitcoin that are ran continuously instead.

On-site electrolysis with offshore wind turbines is an excellent idea. Have the turbines generating power for consumption most of the time, but when there's a surplus then that surplus can be consumed generating hydrogen to be consumed as a fuel potentially elsewhere later on.
    Electrolysis of hydrogen is a good potential use for excess renewable energy, but I wouldn't do it at each wind turbine. You'd have to build a parallel hydrogen gas distribution network for electrolysers that were only run intermittently.

Having an electrolyser closer to where the hydrogen would be used, and making use of the existing electricity grid, would be a lot more efficient.

Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

It is a clusterfuck. Injustice bandaged with injustice
    I am honestly astonished that no one in America appears able to discern what a disaster they are storing up. Are they so blinded by their Woke pieties? The Asian students will disappear. Indeed they already are disappearing

"There has been a steep decline in Chinese students coming to the United States to attend college, the Wall Street Journal reported this week, with the number of F-1 visas issued dropping in the first six months of 2022 to 31,055 compared to 64,261 issued in the first six months of 2019 — before Covid-19.

"That precipitous drop raises new concerns about the direction of international student enrollment in U.S. colleges and universities.

"Chinese students account for the largest share of international students in the U.S., representing a bit more than a third of total international enrollment. So a shift in their preference for where to study constitutes a real jolt to the United States’ traditional dominance in the international college student market. And it threatens colleges’ bottom lines, particularly at public universities where most international students pay much higher nonresident tuition rates than in-state students."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2022/08/13/american-universities-facing-several-headwinds-in-recruitment-of-international-students/?sh=3255fb1955b6
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Outrage as Australians discover former prime minister secretly gave himself five additional ministries
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/aug/16/former-australian-prime-minister-scott-morrison-pm-secretly-gave-himself-five-ministerial-roles

Granted we don't have the same system, but multiple redundancy payments might be possible ?

What a bizarre story, with even most of the Cabinet unaware. If it was for the reasons he states, emergency safeguard, why wasn't it all completely in the open?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-serious-implications-of-morrison-s-shadow-grab-for-power-20220816-p5baax.html

No it isn't, the Leader of the Opposition Peter Dutton has brushed off the issue and said Labor should be focusing on the day job, former Liberal PM John Howard has said Morrison should not resign. Turnbull and his ally the former Treasurer Frydenberg may have lambasted Morrison but they are on the other wing of the party and his former Home Minister if she was doing her job properly should have had no concerns about being checked up on during the Covid crisis.

The PM is entitled under the Westminster system to run his Cabinet entirely as he wishes, he leads the executive branch effectively after all
    Please stop talking nonsense about Australian politics - You are correct in saying Turnbull has no love for Morrison, but Josh Frydenberg hasn't yet made a comment about the situation given he apparently didn't find out until today.

John Howard was on the ABC and what he actually said was that Scott Morrison shouldn't resign as the Liberals could do without a by-election right now. It wasn't an endorsement of his behavior.

Actually John Howard also said 'There are reasons why he did it. And part of the conservative tradition is to always understand the context," he said. Plus 'Mr Howard said he did not believe "any criticism can be offered at the Governor-General" for signing off on Mr Morrison's appointments to the ministries, because on the face of it, it was "nothing illegal".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-16/john-howard-says-scott-morrison-should-remain-in-parliament/101339690

John Howard is the Thatcher of the Australian Liberal Party in his influence on it, so that is that.
    I have to say having a debate from Sydney with someone from Essex about what is and isn't a big deal in Australian politics is certainly novel!

Do you Wikipedia an overseas nations' political parties to find the right wing one before taking a stance on an issue?
    You appear not to have realised yet there is absolutely no point debating with @HYUFD. The fact he is entirely ignorant about 99% of human knowledge only encourages him.

Same with BartyBobbins.

Amusingly the two often argue amongst themselves, each refusing to give way, each totally bewildered by fact.
    Says the man who spent much of his life in NZ, now is based in New York and spends half the time arguing about UK politics
    True, but you subsist in a small bedsit in Essex, breathing through the mouth and wanking furiously over pictures you’ve cut out of Nadine Dorries’s head, pasted onto the bodies of weightlifters.
    For your information we are actually moving to a 4 bed house in more rural Essex later this year, not that I care where or how posters live
    You do seem to care because that is at least the second time you have told us you are moving from your one bedroom flat and with the added details you will now have 4 bedrooms. Not that you care.
    Only because he like you made derogatory comments about my flat, which was a perfectly nice flat by the way but clearly property size matters to the 2 of you

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My sympathies.
    @leoan - go back to the same pub this time next year. I strongly suspect boring twat man will be silent on the state of his investments.
    Yes

I keep getting bombarded with news snippets saying the second hand Rolex watch market has collapsed everywhere. That looks to me a pretty good bellwether.
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

"Judas James Sunak"?
    People don't talk about Biblical names a Lot now.
    Praise-god.
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

I expect they still will unless the numbers change drastically. Harvard even now is 40% white, 14% Asian, 9% Hispanic and 7% black

https://datausa.io/profile/university/harvard-university#:~:text=The enrolled student population at,Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

"Judas James Sunak"?
    Its a real Shem
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited August 2022
    ping said:

https://www.theice.com/products/910/UK-Natural-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5253323

Crazy volatility.

Long range winter forecasts will move the market, even at this range where skill scores are low.

For the UK, early indications suggest a drier than average and benign winter.

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

"Judas James Sunak"?
    Its a real Shem
    I agree on Zach.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Brace...

Tom Haddon
    @TomH_Analyst
    ·

My theory is the pain threshold has largely passed as post 500p/th this simply can't be passed directly onto the resi consumer as relatively few have the ability to pay. Therefore price rises now translate to higher taxation in the future rather than higher prices now.

Special prizes for those who notice I never mentioned B2B.

Demand destruction is the mechanism I think, rather than gov intervention. Not a great outcome, looking like a 3 day week for the SME sector from here on in.

Zero day week for gas/energy intensive..?

https://twitter.com/TomH_Analyst/status/1559528014869921792
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited August 2022
    What a depressing headline on one of the TV news channels just now.

"India's town criers silenced and replaced by loudspeakers".
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Braintree, Witham or Saffron Walden constituencies?
    Still Epping Forest District but Brentwood and Ongar constituency
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Only because he like you made derogatory comments about my flat, which was a perfectly nice flat by the way but clearly property size matters to the 2 of you
    Genuine question. Are you moving to a traditional Essex home, or are you moving to one of the soulless new builds which are infesting the area?

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Genuine question. Are you moving to a traditional Essex home, or are you moving to one of the soulless new builds which are infesting the area?
    It is not new build but it is not grade listed either
    It's raining! IT'S RAINING!!!!

IT'S ACTUALLY RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Braintree, Witham or Saffron Walden constituencies?
    Still Epping Forest District but Brentwood and Ongar constituency
    You're not moving to that bizarre pseudo Christian constituency in the north of Brentwood are you?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    CycleFree - Thank you for writing this post, and saying some things that need to be said. I'll just add this observation: When I was a little kid, we often chanted, in reply to something nasty being said: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

When I was a young man, most of the young men I knew thought only cowards played the victim -- and few of us wanted to be cowards.

Now, so far as I can see, many young people see profit in playing the victim, and are willing to claim that words can be, if anything, worse than "sticks and stones".

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Sounds good; there's some nice places around there!
  • MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Andy_JS said:

"Kenya election 2022: Raila Odinga rejects Kenya president election results"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-62559899

Meanwhile in America

2020 Presidential election.....almost zero ballot irregularities

2022 recall of radical Democrat DA in LA county......huge ballot irregularities. Massive. Almost 200,00 signatures rejected.

So the US voting system is fine. Or it isn't.
    Recall petition: it's literally just a petition. You can write Micky Moose as your name. Every name needs to be checked it is a real person.

Election by mail: each individual voter is sent a ballot.

Do you really not understand the difference?
    Yeah in the Newsom ballot recall last year it looks like 400,000 out of 2.1m got rejected. About 19%.

In this case it was more than 25%.

Whoosh.

That was the sound of a point going over your head.
    Yeah some people in America got sent more than one ballot for the presidential right? and yet a rejection rate of less than one per cent in the counting in California.

The same people that f8ck about in recall ballots sure do play by the book in presidentials....!
    Tabulation systems used by county election offices across California (and other states including WA) are specifically designed to credit and count ONLY one returned ballot from each voter.

For example, a voter is expecting ballot to arrive in mail but when it doesn't arrive, they request a replacement. Which they vote and return. THEN the original ballot - delayed for some reason - arrive in their mailbox. Somewhat confused, and wanting to play it safe, they vote and return THAT ballot also. At the election office, the system is designed to flag ANY duplicate ballots, and to count only one per customer.

Same thing can happen when a voter mislays their ballot. Note that in presidential elections, there are LOTS of first-time & infrequent voters, combined with plenty of personal & social pressure to cast their vote for the next POTUS. So they may cast more than one ballot, hoping that at least one gets counted. NOT evidence of fraud, but the system DOES need to deal with it. And does.

BTW, the rejection rate of which you speak refers to UNIQUE ballots rejected mostly for signature issues, mainly missing OR not matching with voter sig on file.
  • ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

"Judas James Sunak"?
    Until 1966 it was illegal in France to name your child anything that wasn't Saint's name although there were some exceptions for ancient history.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

I expect they still will unless the numbers change drastically. Harvard even now is 40% white, 14% Asian, 9% Hispanic and 7% black

https://datausa.io/profile/university/harvard-university#:~:text=The enrolled student population at,Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.
    The Asians will simply stop going to over-priced American universities. Why would you? Inside the unis they discriminate against you just for being Asian, outside them, on American streets, there is increasing violent crime against Asians, which American society won't address because Woke

"About a third of Asian Americans say they have changed their daily routine due to concerns over threats, attacks"

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/05/09/about-a-third-of-asian-americans-say-they-have-changed-their-daily-routine-due-to-concerns-over-threats-attacks/

Meanwhile the same unis are teaching gibberish about racial equity rather than actual science

"Making Medicine Into an ‘Anti-Racist’ Profession"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ama-health-care-medicine-doctor-woke-inequity-disparity-race-physicial-malpractice-insurance-11660335224

It's a perfect storm for American higher education. And, remarkably, they continue sailing right into it

• ydoethur said:

Finally raining in Lincolnshire as well.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Well hardly as I have never mentioned anything about either of my houses other than I have a large garden in one of them and that was in the context of the difficulty in gardening because of my broken legs. And why the need to mention the 4 bedrooms. What is wrong with 2 or 3 bedrooms? You clearly felt the need to make a point.

And yes it is a nice flat. Seen it on Rightmove.

And of course the mention of the 1 bed flat by us had nothing to do with us caring about the property you live in but more about the lifestyle you portray here.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Sounds great. Enjoy. One of the most memorable days of my life was getting the keys to this house.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

🙋‍♂️

My middle name is my dad's first name. Then one of my cousins named her son after my dad and me, so his first and middle name are the same as mine, but the other way around.

My wife has the same middle name as all of her female relatives. And all of her male relatives have the same middle name. Kaur and Singh, respectively. Different cultures, different traditions.
    Traditional Chinese families sometimes have a system where in the distant past a clan patriarch set up a naming convention according to a formula that goes vertically through the generations and horizontally through the cousins and siblings. So your name might have been chosen for you more than a hundred years before you were born.
  • CycleFree - Thank you for writing this post, and saying some things that need to be said. I'll just add this observation: When I was a little kid, we often chanted, in reply to something nasty being said: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

When I was a young man, most of the young men I knew thought only cowards played the victim -- and few of us wanted to be cowards.

Now, so far as I can see, many young people see profit in playing the victim, and are willing to claim that words can be, if anything, worse than "sticks and stones".

Snowflakes to the left of us!
    Snowflakes to the right of us!
    Melted and puddled!
    Their's not to stifle a sigh!
    Their's but to whine and cry!
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

CycleFree - Thank you for writing this post, and saying some things that need to be said. I'll just add this observation: When I was a little kid, we often chanted, in reply to something nasty being said: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Snowflakes to the left of us!
    Snowflakes to the right of us!
    Melted and puddled!
    Their's not to stifle a sigh!
    Their's but to whine and cry!
    Chucking more fuel on the fire....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62563165
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Former Pop Idol contestant and theatre star Darius Campbell Danesh has been found dead in his U.S. apartment room at the age of 41, his family has announced

For more on this and other news visit http://trib.al/Rx0iR33

Brace...

Tom Haddon
    @TomH_Analyst
    ·

My theory is the pain threshold has largely passed as post 500p/th this simply can't be passed directly onto the resi consumer as relatively few have the ability to pay. Therefore price rises now translate to higher taxation in the future rather than higher prices now.

Special prizes for those who notice I never mentioned B2B.

Demand destruction is the mechanism I think, rather than gov intervention. Not a great outcome, looking like a 3 day week for the SME sector from here on in.

Zero day week for gas/energy intensive..?

https://twitter.com/TomH_Analyst/status/1559528014869921792

Of course the more ludicrous this gets the more chance someone decides a good war is the answer
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Well hardly as I have never mentioned anything about either of my houses other than I have a large garden in one of them and that was in the context of the difficulty in gardening because of my broken legs. And why the need to mention the 4 bedrooms. What is wrong with 2 or 3 bedrooms? You clearly felt the need to make a point.

And of course the mention of the 1 bed flat by us had nothing to do with us caring about the property you live in but more about the lifestyle you portray here.
    Nothing wrong with starting married life in a one bedroom flat. We went 1 > 3 > 4 > 2, as our family grew and shrunk!
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    Since some are worried about staying warm there this winter, I'll repeat the advice I have given before: Synthetic underwear is amazingly warming; with an outer layer or two, it has kept me warm outdoors, when the temperature was 10 degrees Centigrade below zero and even colder. And when it is cold in the winter mornings, I will often put on a knit cap until my apartment warms up, since you lose so much heat through your head.

You sound like a Real Man. And, yes, child suicide as a result of verbal bullying never happens, or if it does it thins out the milksops.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838
    ydoethur said:

Yes, and much needed for the country, but the trouble is we have tickets for day 1 of the Lords test tomorrow. Really good seats, very expensive, birthday treat for me, been looking forward to it for ages - and now it looks certain to be either a total washout (which perversely I'm hoping for since we don't have to bother going and we get the price of the tickets back) or (worse) ALMOST a washout. Either way, the whole thing is going to be totally spoiled. If there really were a God this sort of thing wouldn't happen to me.
    edited August 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Former Pop Idol contestant and theatre star Darius Campbell Danesh has been found dead in his U.S. apartment room at the age of 41, his family has announced

He was the guy who came third in the Gates/Young season iirc?
    Seemed a decent guy, RIP
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Most likely location of recent Crinea explosion was filmed pre explosion.

That's a shit load of stuff.

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1559465873429200903?t=85w_LTJ9VN0bfS9cX3uBMA&s=19

Since some are worried about staying warm there this winter, I'll repeat the advice I have given before: Synthetic underwear is amazingly warming; with an outer layer or two, it has kept me warm outdoors, when the temperature was 10 degrees Centigrade below zero and even colder. And when it is cold in the winter mornings, I will often put on a knit cap until my apartment warms up, since you lose so much heat through your head.

A serious issue when you start losing your hair!
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Scott_xP said:

! The wiki page says:

"The circumstances surrounding his death are not yet known but he was reportedly allergic to dying"
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1559465873429200903?t=85w_LTJ9VN0bfS9cX3uBMA&s=19

That's a shame.

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

We're buying a house in Richmond. V nervous about doing it in this financial climate.

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Nothing wrong with starting married life in a one bedroom flat. We went 1 > 3 > 4 > 2, as our family grew and shrunk!
    Of course there isn't. Many of course do. Many have no choice. But as usual hyufd completely missed the point of the posts.
    My 2 bed flat is an upstairs straddling two one beds below, i'll at least get the benefit of their heating i guess.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

kyf_100 said:

Monkeys said:

This is quite a good news report on an actual use case in Texas, if you've got 20 minutes to spare. Balanced and has both sides of the story (though I think the bitcoin case is strong).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmpoSQeE56w

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054

The head thing is urban myth.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,592
    edited August 2022
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

That's a shame.
    Yes

• pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited August 2022
    Might be an idea to stock up on warm clothes, now. Demand and prices could go up considerably this winter, throughout Europe.

Even with fairly robust supply chains and retail purchasing managers overbuying, 450m people, all looking to buy warm clothes at the same time could send prices sky high.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

The same thing keeps happening all over the place; it isn't just race. Essentially, it is the death of meritocracy. In the workplace, gender and race are becoming very significant factors in determining who gets hired and promoted. In my last job, there was a push to get women in to highly paid roles because of the 'gender pay gap'. The companies need to show that the management is gender balanced. This is going on right across the industry in both the private and the public sector.

This was a contributory factor to me dropping out and becoming self employed, and working as a contractor. It is more meritocratic. I think ultimately that where recruitment decisions are being driven by quotas based on physical chacteristics then it has to be bad for business and will lead to a correction. That won't happen in the civil service and military though, without political intervention.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

We're buying a house in Richmond. V nervous about doing it in this financial climate.
    You've won the pools?
    ydoethur said:

Norwich concurs
    carnforth said:

No it isn't. It started life as you lose most heat through your head *if you are otherwise dressed for the weather, but hatless.* Which is pretty obviously true.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

Have lunch here - https://www.richmondthaikitchen.uk/menu
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    edited August 2022
    murali_s said:

ping said:

Crazy volatility.

Long range winter forecasts will move the market, even at this range where skill scores are low.

"Drier than average and benign."

Ah.

So, we manage to get through the dark months without a mass cull of the poor and the elderly by hypothermia - and then we get to next Summer, it's roasting hot again and out come the standpipes.

Fucking joy.

EDIT: if anything is going to turn a Tory rout at the next election into a Canada '93 style massacre, it's folk having to queue in the streets (during yet another bloody heatwave) to collect water in a bucket. Clacton would go Labour. Count on it.
    dixiedean said:

With this trend for naming your kids after luxury goods, Dior, Mercedes, will we soon have a generation of little Gas and Electrics?

Of course Methane was only 6 when Three Pin started High School

dixiedean said:

With this trend for naming your kids after luxury goods, Dior, Mercedes, will we soon have a generation of little Gas and Electrics?

Wrong way round surely, unless they are not the first of their names in the lines. Three Pin was around well before North Sea gas.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

No it isn't. It started life as you lose most heat through your head *if you are otherwise dressed for the weather, but hatless.* Which is pretty obviously true.
    In extreme arctic conditions, yes;

“The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads.“

But not in reality.

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour
    dixiedean said:

Name them after oil and gas fields? Or rigs?

"When we were blessed with twins, we named them Statfjord A and Statfjord B. Obvious, really..."

edited August 2022

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Maybe it will be forced on us. All children to be named EoN or NPower as advertising for the energy suppliers to part fund year 10 of Sir Keirs cap freeze.
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Same with BartyBobbins.

You've won the pools?
    Ha, I know what you mean. PPSF these days in smart bits of London, even non-central, are wincey. No, no pools win, but it is a trade-up in value so if this is the top and there's a crash there'll be some 'buyers remorse'. Not done yet though.
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Another one for you Leon

Leon said:

The same thing keeps happening all over the place; it isn't just race. Essentially, it is the death of meritocracy. In the workplace, gender and race are becoming very significant factors in determining who gets hired and promoted. In my last job, there was a push to get women in to highly paid roles because of the 'gender pay gap'. The companies need to show that the management is gender balanced. This is going on right across the industry in both the private and the public sector.

This was a contributory factor to me dropping out and becoming self employed, and working as a contractor. It is more meritocratic. I think ultimately that where recruitment decisions are being driven by quotas based on physical chacteristics then it has to be bad for business and will lead to a correction. That won't happen in the civil service and military though, without political intervention.
    Yes, the West - especially America, but the UK and elsewhere as well - is economically handicapping itself, and this at a time when we can least afford it. We will see the dire results in 10-15 years?

To return to American education, I can see it collapsing in prestige, influence and income, unless they reverse gear very soon
    carnforth said:

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

In extreme arctic conditions, yes;

“The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads.“

But not in reality.

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour
    Extreme Arctic conditions is not the point, Arctic clothing is. So the point stands that 50% of body heat lost when fully clothed but hatless, is via the head.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Maybe it will be forced on us. All children to be named EoN or NPower as advertising for the energy suppliers to part fund year 10 of Sir Keirs cap freeze.
    And I shall call one of my children Ron.
    pigeon said:

murali_s said:

ping said:

Crazy volatility.

"Drier than average and benign."

Ah.

So, we manage to get through the dark months without a mass cull of the poor and the elderly by hypothermia - and then we get to next Summer, it's roasting hot again and out come the standpipes.

Fucking joy.

EDIT: if anything is going to turn a Tory rout at the next election into a Canada '93 style massacre, it's folk having to queue in the streets (during yet another bloody heatwave) to collect water in a bucket. Clacton would go Labour. Count on it.
    Clacton was in 1997 and 2001!
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And I shall call one of my children Ron.
    Badger fancying?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My sympathies.
    Just save it all for us. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.