Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Johnson could face by-election in his Uxbridge seat – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited July 2022 in General
imageJohnson could face by-election in his Uxbridge seat – politicalbetting.com

The London Evening Standard is reporting that the PM could face a by-election if he is found to have misled Parliament over PartyGate. It will be recalled that the Met issued 126 Partygate fines after a number of lockdown busting gatherings in Downing Street and across Whitehall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 13,624
    edited July 2022
    It won't change the fact Brexit has happened.

First, BTW.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Alistair said:

The famous "No More Snow" prediction was not that there would be no more snow but that that Snow would be less frequent and more extreme when it happened.

Since that prediction Britain has had fewer snow days.

Untrue, I'm afraid. If that were the case, the Independent wouldn't have deleted it.

Fortunately, the Wayback Machine has it.

"Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past"

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he [David Viner, UEA] said.
    Yes, some of the earlier climate change crusaders made some insane claims, which have told against them. Weren't we all meant to be underwater by now, according to Al Gore?

However, and it is a big however, I can remember some scary-shit videos made by the warmists in about 2000, which predicted that we'd see 40-50C temperatures in Europe, and that mass migrations would occur, with people fleeing Africa and the ME and climbing on boats and scaling walls to get to cooler climes

I scoffed, loudly, at these absurd doom-mongering hallucinations...
    I suspect that the conditions that resulted in 40.3C were extremely freakish and we may not see that peak beaten for a decade or more.

Even if that is the case, however, the trend is clearly hotter and the need to do things to reduce this is more urgent than many appreciated. To that extent I would disagree with a Kemi opposing net zero although I do take her point that we have to watch our competitiveness and indeed our dependency on despotic regimes such as China very carefully.
    And yet we broke the maximum heat record that was established just three years ago, so who's to say this isn't actually speeding up. So the new record may fall soon. With most of the top ten hottest ever days occurring this century the pattern is, anyway, clear

I agree with you and @BartholomewRoberts that it is much less clear what we do about it - in the UK and the world - apart from the obvious measures (which would be sensible anyhow) to reduce use of fossil fuels, get rid of polluting cars, and so on
    The fundamental point is a difficult one: if you're a developing country with a billion people and very few cars (say India), and the West says:

Hey! You need to reduce your greenhouse gases and not drive cars so we can continue to live our Western lifestyle

You say "You've emitted lots of CO2 and used that grow rich, and you want me to remain poor? Fuck off."

Personally, I think the developed world has done a pretty good job so far, and is continuing to do so. Reliance on fossil fuels will continue to diminish, transportation will become electric, and greenhouse gas emissions will fall."

It's astonishing to see how much the price of new renewables has fallen: the government literally pays one-tenth of what it used to for new solar. Wind has fallen dramatically too. Other energy forms like tidal are becoming economic.

And as we continue to invest, the price of these energy sources will continue to decline.
    On topic: won't happen.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 2022
    Will Boris even stay around anyway? I can't see him wanting to sit on the backbenches like Tessie May being grumpy about everything, when he could be earning millions giving his made-up stories to American crowds.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    rcs1000 said:

Spoilsport!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,106

Will Boris even stay around? I can't see him wanting to sit on the backbenches like Tessie May being grumpy about everything.

Speculation, partly from #ClassicDom, was that Boris will stick around until the next election in the hope or belief that his successor will crash and burn and MPs clamour for Boris's return.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    FPT

Mrs PtP has just suggested to me that Truss is a Corbynite mole installed to create mayhem and the rebirth of Jeremy's career as a consequence.

Have any other PB's seen evidence of this?

I merely ask.
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.73 Liz Truss 58%
    2.4 Rishi Sunak 42%

Next Conservative leader
    1.72 Liz Truss 58%
    2.42 Rishi Sunak 41%
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Alistair said:

The famous "No More Snow" prediction was not that there would be no more snow but that that Snow would be less frequent and more extreme when it happened.

Untrue, I'm afraid. If that were the case, the Independent wouldn't have deleted it.

Yes, some of the earlier climate change crusaders made some insane claims, which have told against them. Weren't we all meant to be underwater by now, according to Al Gore?

However, and it is a big however, I can remember some scary-shit videos made by the warmists in about 2000, which predicted that we'd see 40-50C temperatures in Europe, and that mass migrations would occur, with people fleeing Africa and the ME and climbing on boats and scaling walls to get to cooler climes

I suspect that the conditions that resulted in 40.3C were extremely freakish and we may not see that peak beaten for a decade or more.

Even if that is the case, however, the trend is clearly hotter and the need to do things to reduce this is more urgent than many appreciated. To that extent I would disagree with a Kemi opposing net zero although I do take her point that we have to watch our competitiveness and indeed our dependency on despotic regimes such as China very carefully.
    And yet we broke the maximum heat record that was established just three years ago, so who's to say this isn't actually speeding up. So the new record may fall soon. With most of the top ten hottest ever days occurring this century the pattern is, anyway, clear

I agree with you and @BartholomewRoberts that it is much less clear what we do about it - in the UK and the world - apart from the obvious measures (which would be sensible anyhow) to reduce use of fossil fuels, get rid of polluting cars, and so on
    The fundamental point is a difficult one: if you're a developing country with a billion people and very few cars (say India), and the West says:

Hey! You need to reduce your greenhouse gases and not drive cars so we can continue to live our Western lifestyle

You say "You've emitted lots of CO2 and used that grow rich, and you want me to remain poor? Fuck off."

Personally, I think the developed world has done a pretty good job so far, and is continuing to do so. Reliance on fossil fuels will continue to diminish, transportation will become electric, and greenhouse gas emissions will fall."

It's astonishing to see how much the price of new renewables has fallen: the government literally pays one-tenth of what it used to for new solar. Wind has fallen dramatically too. Other energy forms like tidal are becoming economic.

And as we continue to invest, the price of these energy sources will continue to decline.
    India can see how much a threat global warming is to their agriculture and their future ability to feed their population. They're consequently investing massively in solar power. But they have less room to manoeuvre to reduce emissions and do all the other things they need to do, and so they want richer countries who benefited from historical emissions to shoulder more of the burden. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Will Boris even stay around? I can't see him wanting to sit on the backbenches like Tessie May being grumpy about everything.

Speculation, partly from #ClassicDom, was that Boris will stick around until the next election in the hope or belief that his successor will crash and burn and MPs clamour for Boris's return.
    Probably, although Mrs Johnson might have something to say about that.....I want several big houses and loads of money now.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    rcs1000 said:

You foresee a 9-day suspension for Johnson, or that he'll walk away from the Commons?
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,068
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Why?

I mean, I think there will be a by-election regardless of a recall issue as Johnson will probably resign as an MP as Cameron did on ceasing to be PM. That's only made more likely by the risk that the decision may be taken for him if he faces a period of suspension, but is quite likely in any event.

Do you think he'd not be suspended for at least ten sitting days? I think he will if the finding is he misled Parliament, which I'd say is very possible although perhaps not probable. And clearly the petition would gather easily sufficient signatures if triggered.

I doubt he'd stand in any by-election.

In terms of Number 10 fighting it hard, a Sunak Number 10 wouldn't spend any political capital trying to get Johnson out of a suspension, I suspect. A Truss Number 10 probably would. But they'd not necessarily be successful, and this isn't controversial legal advice - clearly 10 day+ suspension means recall petition.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

The same Dom who encouraged people to think Boris's resignation was fake?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

You foresee a 9-day suspension for Johnson, or that he'll walk away from the Commons?
    What's the precedents for penalties for porkies? There prolly aren't any because people have the decency to walk. But I would think 10+ days was not out of the q.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,282
    The US government now has an official UFO Twitter account

https://twitter.com/dod_aaro/status/1549866472285126656?s=21&t=mlL4jPFEf8J459CoMtZgnA

Wherever you stand on this, the US authorities continue to behave VERY strangely
    edited July 2022

Probably, although Mrs Johnson might have something to say about that.....I want several big houses and loads of money now.
    True, although iirc Boris and Carrie already own three homes: the house in Oxfordshire; the flat in south London where the neighbours called the police when Boris spilled wine on the sofa; and the other one that they had to rent out to pay for wallpapergate, or something.

ETA Youtube video of Boris's homes in under a minute
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWFLRmCO6M
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    NEW Boris Johnson's career after he quits as PM is in some doubt. He is facing the very real prospect of a by-election this Autumn.
    More here in Chopper's Politics Newsletter. 👇 https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1550133730924146691/photo/1
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,363
    "Quidditch now ‘quadball’ to distance sport from JK Rowling over her views on transgender issues" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/quidditch-now-quadball-to-distance-sport-from-jk-rowling-over-her-views-on-transgender-issues-70zcbp8j8
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,779
    Leon said:

https://twitter.com/dod_aaro/status/1549866472285126656?s=21&t=mlL4jPFEf8J459CoMtZgnA

Wherever you stand on this, the US authorities continue to behave VERY strangely

That hasn't been any kind of news for at least a decade.
    edited July 2022

True, although iirc Boris and Carrie already own three homes: the house in Oxfordshire; the flat in south London where the neighbours called the police when Boris spilled wine on the sofa; and the other one that they had to rent out to pay for wallpapergate, or something.
    All of them are rented out and Boris is short of reddies. Also after Chequers, I imagine a normal property in the countryside that Boris owns isn't going to cut it.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Just ran out of beer at the foot of the Hautacam.

No sport like cycle sport.

The same Dom who encouraged people to think Boris's resignation was fake?
    Dunno. But so far, Boris is still there until 6th September, the day after his successor is due to be announced.
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Quidditch now ‘quadball’ to distance sport from JK Rowling over her views on transgender issues" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/quidditch-now-quadball-to-distance-sport-from-jk-rowling-over-her-views-on-transgender-issues-70zcbp8j8

We did this yesterday....the real reason is they have a copyright issue and can't make money out of it because Warner Bro owns the rights, but while they were at it couldn't help themselves with a bit of virtue signalling.

All of them are rented out and Boris is short of reddies. Also after Chequers, I imagine a normal property in the countryside that Boris owns isn't going to cut it.
    Doesn't Rishi own a mansion in America he could lend his former boss? Rent Out to Help Out.
    edited July 2022

Doesn't Rishi own a mansion in America he could lend his former boss? Rent Out to Help Out.
    I imagine Mrs Sunak probably doesn't want those horrid people anywhere near their home, especially after splashing all her tax affairs over the media.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    UK set to reopen 100m cubic feet gas storage site off the coat of Yorkshire, should begin to store gas in the next few weeks before winter. It sounds significant but it's about 3 weeks worth of total usage of gas, we'd need 5-7 facilities of similar size to ensure no gas shortages across the winter. There's obviously no time to construct that so we just have to hope for a mild, windy and wet winter. Though this will take us up from 2 weeks of storage to 5 weeks of storage. In comparison European countries tend to have 10 weeks of gas storage available.

IIRC, it was Ed Davey that shit canned the subsidies for gas storage and then Theresa May who allowed them to be closed as they became unprofitable after the subsidies were ended. Vandalism to energy and economic security from both.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    rcs1000 said:

No. Wet dreams never do.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477

I imagine Mrs Sunak probably doesn't want those horrid people anywhere near their home, especially after splashing all her tax affairs over the media.
    The idea that he hopes his replacement crashes and burns is interesting given he seems to have put so much effort into making sure it is Truss who wins.

MaxPB said:

UK set to reopen 100m cubic feet gas storage site off the coat of Yorkshire, should begin to store gas in the next few weeks before winter. It sounds significant but it's about 3 weeks worth of total usage of gas, we'd need 5-7 facilities of similar size to ensure no gas shortages across the winter. There's obviously no time to construct that so we just have to hope for a mild, windy and wet winter. Though this will take us up from 2 weeks of storage to 5 weeks of storage. In comparison European countries tend to have 10 weeks of gas storage available.

IIRC, it was Ed Davey that shit canned the subsidies for gas storage and then Theresa May who allowed them to be closed as they became unprofitable after the subsidies were ended. Vandalism to energy and economic security from both.

Buy shares in jumper sales....
    edited July 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That REALLY isn't true. Some of the pilots' accounts and images date from the last few years - 2014 and 2018 in this one article, there are many more

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10694159/F-18-pilot-filmed-UFO-gave-secret-evidence-Congress-said-thought-training.html

Is this convincing evidence? Absolutely not. All the photos are laughable rubbish. But the pilots really believe they are seeing something (or they are willing to "perjure" themselves before Congress), and all this is quite new
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

No. Wet dreams never do.
    I think the Committee just recfommends that the HoC votes for a penalty? So they just vote it down. the end.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    Incredible to think that even in 2022, there are people who think there is no link between the climate and anthropogenic factors. Thank God, the young are not that foolish!

Andy_JS said:

We did this yesterday....the real reason is they have a copyright issue and can't make money out of it because Warner Bro owns the rights, but while they were at it couldn't help themselves with a bit of virtue signalling.
    I didn't even know it was a real sport, just thought it was a game in the Harry Potter stories.
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That REALLY isn't true. Some of the pilots' accounts and images date from the last few years - 2014 and 2018 in this one article, there are many more

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10694159/F-18-pilot-filmed-UFO-gave-secret-evidence-Congress-said-thought-training.html

Is this convincing evidence? Absolutely not. All the photos are laughable rubbish. But the pilots really believe they are seeing something (or they are willing to "perjure" themselves before Congress), and all this is quite new
    The Corridor Crew explained exactly how that optical illusion occurs and reproduced a model of it.
    Leon said:

It's almost as if they want to encourage conspiracist thinking in the US population.

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The Corridor Crew explained exactly how that optical illusion occurs.
    Which one? Gimbal? There are many

I entirely agree the vids and photos are unpersuasive. Indeed they are the opposite of persuasive, because they are so poor

But then you have to explain why the USG is, apparently, taking all this so seriously. Psy-ops?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477

rcs1000 said:

Why?

I mean, I think there will be a by-election regardless of a recall issue as Johnson will probably resign as an MP as Cameron did on ceasing to be PM. That's only made more likely by the risk that the decision may be taken for him if he faces a period of suspension, but is quite likely in any event.

Do you think he'd not be suspended for at least ten sitting days? I think he will if the finding is he misled Parliament, which I'd say is very possible although perhaps not probable. And clearly the petition would gather easily sufficient signatures if triggered.

In terms of Number 10 fighting it hard, a Sunak Number 10 wouldn't spend any political capital trying to get Johnson out of a suspension, I suspect. A Truss Number 10 probably would. But they'd not necessarily be successful, and this isn't controversial legal advice - clearly 10 day+ suspension means recall petition.
    Who decides how many days the lying fecker gets? The Committee or whole House or Speaker?
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I didn't even know it was a real sport, just thought it was a game in the Harry Potter stories.
    I think "real sport" is stretching it....but it doesn't stop somebody trying to cash in on weirdos cosplaying Barry Trotter quadball..
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree the vids and photos are unpersuasive. Indeed they are the opposite of persuasive, because they are so poor

But then you have to explain why the USG is, apparently, taking all this so seriously. Psy-ops?
    They have done a number of them, including that one in the article you link to.

rcs1000 said:

Why?

It would be a neat and extremely appropriate end to his political career if he's kicked out for lying to parliament. His mainstream political career anyway. I guess there's a chance he'll launch something new and based on his personal brand - start holding rallies of the faithful in working mens clubs and golf club carparks up and down the land - but I somehow don't see that.
    Don't know if this has been reported.

"@BritainElects
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 37% (+1)
    CON: 33% (-1)
    LDEM: 13% (-)
    GRN: 7% (+2)

via @KantarPublic
    , 14 - 18 Jul Chgs. w/ Jun"

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

They have done a number of them, including that one in the article you link to.
    Yes, Mick West is a good debunker. Calm and precise

But again that just leads to the same screaming question. If these videos are so easily debunked (and many of them are, if not all of them) why the Holy Fuck is the US govenrment having congressional hearings, setting up UFO departments, getting CIA heads and naval chiefs and serious senators and ex presidents to say There is Something Out There, when in fact all that exists out there is a blurred photo of a goose and a video of a fucking weather balloon?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Leon said:

Interesting interview this week with Abi Loeb (ex Harvard Astronomy Head) and Eric Weinstein (Thiel Capital), both of whom working on the Galileo Project, which is an attempt by civilian science to use near field telescopic imaging to capture anomalous objects.

Weinstein makes a good point that there’s basically no good direct evidence of The Phenomenon but oodles of indirect evidence. He concludes there’s either been “a multi decade nonsense campaign” by the government to leave breadcrumbs on something that’s not there, for reasons he can’t decipher. Or the Phenomenon is real and the best evidence is being wilfully withheld from civilian science.

Loeb gives an interesting background on NASA’s new interest in UAP and associated committee. Says that Bill Nelson was privy to classified briefings as Senator that made him sit up. And now he’s Nasa Administrator he’s tasked NASA’s chief scientists with going deeper. Loeb provided a white paper that has formed the basis for NASA’s proposed committee on UAP but it’s likely to be two years before there’s a proper budget appropriation in place for its work. So instead Loeb has formed the Galileo Project with private money to collect replicable evidence, rather than waiting for nasa or even worse waiting for the US govt / military to declassify its own data. “The sky isn’t classified”.

I still scratch my head at those who are ignorant or derisory about this story. Because it’s likely we’re either on the cusp of humanity’s most profound discovery ever. Or, the US militaryindustrial complex has been in possession for decades of an ultra tech that would transform our world if made public but continues to be held outside of all democratic scrutiny, with ex Presidents, Joint Chiefs and current Gang of Eight members from across the aisle seemingly ignorant about such a programme.

The ground in between these options is getting ever smaller.

edited July 2022

1.73 Liz Truss 58%
    2.4 Rishi Sunak 42%

Next Conservative leader
    1.72 Liz Truss 58%
    2.42 Rishi Sunak 41%

The miniscule difference between the markets being the risk that Johnson does something over the summer - or we find out over the summer that he did something in the past - that is SO yuck he has to go before they've finished the leadership contest.

You can punt on this by laying both Sunak and Truss for next PM. Not imo the most crazy of long odds crazy bets.
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Interesting interview this week with Abi Loeb (ex Harvard Astronomy Head) and Eric Weinstein (Thiel Capital), both of whom working on the Galileo Project, which is an attempt by civilian science to use near field telescopic imaging to capture anomalous objects.

Weinstein makes a good point that there’s basically no good direct evidence of The Phenomenon but oodles of indirect evidence. He concludes there’s either been “a multi decade nonsense campaign” by the government to leave breadcrumbs on something that’s not there, for reasons he can’t decipher. Or the Phenomenon is real and the best evidence is being wilfully withheld from civilian science.

Loeb gives an interesting background on NASA’s new interest in UAP and associated committee. Says that Bill Nelson was privy to classified briefings as Senator that made him sit up. And now he’s Nasa Administrator he’s tasked NASA’s chief scientists with going deeper. Loeb provided a white paper that has formed the basis for NASA’s proposed committee on UAP but it’s likely to be two years before there’s a proper budget appropriation in place for its work. So instead Loeb has formed the Galileo Project with private money to collect replicable evidence, rather than waiting for nasa or even worse waiting for the US govt / military to declassify its own data. “The sky isn’t classified”.

I still scratch my head at those who are ignorant or derisory about this story. Because it’s likely we’re either on the cusp of humanity’s most profound discovery ever. Or, the US militaryindustrial complex has been in possession for decades of an ultra tech that would transform our world if made public but continues to be held outside of all democratic scrutiny, with ex Presidents, Joint Chiefs and current Gang of Eight members from across the aisle seemingly ignorant about such a programme.

But what about my explanation (shamelessly stolen from Joe Rogan) - the USG has amazing tech and is desperate to hide it from the Chinese, and Obama et al are IN ON THIS, and laying trails of decoys and distractions by talking about UFOs?

It sounds rather far fetched, but - as we both know - any explanation that covers all the bases is far fetched, and this one at least doesn't involve Martians

rcs1000 said:

Why?

I actually think it's much simpler. Like it or not, there are a lot of Conservatives on the committee. And the anger is now gone. Now they will simply want to sweep BJ and Partygate under the carpet. (They are also acutely aware that their own members are angry about the defenestration of the Big Dog, and that - indirectly - throwing him out of Parliament via a two week suspension would not be popular.)

So, sure, it's possible that BJ resigns his seat and there's a byelection. But I just don't see the committee agreeing to a suspension that allows for a recall petition.
    Andy_JS said:

It's not just JKRowling, it's that Warner Brothers wanted money from them.
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Or, it just continues indefinitely to be A Puzzle. Like who moved the stones at Baalbek. I don't get this on-the-cusp bit at all, cos if you accept UAPs at all some of the most cogent cases are over 100 y.o. They are partly cogent because of the absence of possible drone/satellite/plane explanations, which now confuse the issue very considerably.
  • FPT

Mrs PtP has just suggested to me that Truss is a Corbynite mole installed to create mayhem and the rebirth of Jeremy's career as a consequence.

Have any other PB's seen evidence of this?

I merely ask.

Ridiculous idea. She is obviously Agent Cheesecake, working deep under cover for the Lib Dems. It's an Ashdown dark ops project, finally coming to fruition.
    edited July 2022
    deleted as waffle
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Why?

I actually think it's much simpler. Like it or not, there are a lot of Conservatives on the committee. And the anger is now gone. Now they will simply want to sweep BJ and Partygate under the carpet. (They are also acutely aware that their own members are angry about the defenestration of the Big Dog, and that - indirectly - throwing him out of Parliament via a two week suspension would not be popular.)

So, sure, it's possible that BJ resigns his seat and there's a byelection. But I just don't see the committee agreeing to a suspension that allows for a recall petition.
    But lying to the house is Serious Shit. 4 out of the 7 are con. Dunno about the others but one of them is Bernard Jenkin who judging from his performance at the liaison committee hates Johnson as much as I do.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That REALLY isn't true...
    the US authorities continue to behave VERY strangely

It REALLY is. :smile:
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    murali_s said:

Incredible to think that even in 2022, there are people who think there is no link between the climate and anthropogenic factors. Thank God, the young are not that foolish!

I agree that those who are certain there is no link are fools. However, I don’t think those who aren’t 100% sure are idiots.

It’s not completely out the question that there’s some other, as yet unknown mechanism driving climate change.

From what I understand, scientific consensus is ~95-99% anthropogenic factors have been the primary cause of recent climate change. It’s good enough for me and should be good enough for policy making purposes. But it’s not 100%. We might still be wrong.
    Andy_JS said:

"@BritainElects

via @KantarPublic

Dreadful underperformance by Starmer. He’s choked it.
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

But what about my explanation (shamelessly stolen from Joe Rogan) - the USG has amazing tech and is desperate to hide it from the Chinese, and Obama et al are IN ON THIS, and laying trails of decoys and distractions by talking about
    UFOs?

It sounds rather far fetched, but - as we both know - any explanation that covers all the bases is far fetched, and this one at least doesn't involve Martians
    Sure but isn’t that the biggest wildest story of our time too? That the US cracked some form of gravitational propulsion decades ago and there’s a grand conspiracy taking in all past presidents, multiple cia directors, totally opposing congresspeople, two generations of top navy pilots and radar operators etc… and that for reasons undisclosed, the US chooses to repeatedly operate this tech in the vicinity of
    carrier groups with hundreds to thousands of witnesses, directly against all precedent of black ops procedures of the joint chiefs? I think Joe smoked a phat one the day he came up with this.

Ismael is right. It’s a big bloody mystery. But I have little doubt there’s excellent direct evidence of it existing that we’re not being shown. I also think it’s out of our hands to understand its true nature and I don’t expect to learn in my lifetime. What I do expect before long is full societal acceptance that there is something there.
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

But what about my explanation (shamelessly stolen from Joe Rogan) - the USG has amazing tech and is desperate to hide it from the Chinese, and Obama et al are IN ON THIS, and laying trails of decoys and distractions by talking about UFOs?

It is not far-fetched because it has happened before. Cold War Americans used talk of UFOs to cover up the USAF flying Russian MIGs for training purposes.
    carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

Five weeks of total usage is 25 weeks of topping up a 20% shortfall. Pretty useful.
    Spot on:

The UK gets its gas in three ways:

40% - domestically produced
    40% - imported from Norway*
    20% - imported from the rest of the world

While domestic production is gradually declining, it's still pretty gradual. Absent major accident or incident, we can be fairly sure of it. Likewise Norway is a politically stable country and we have contracted gas volumes (i.e. not spot). (Albeit this is on oil price linked contracts and therefore prices have risen sharply.)

The final fifth of our gas demand is the issue: we buy spot LNG cargoes. And these have gone from $6-8/mmbtu to $30-$40 - a c. 8x rise.

If we had proper levels of storage, we would be in a much better position to weather not being able to source spot LNG cargoes.

* The Norway figure looks bigger than this, but we reexport (and are contracted to do so) a lot to Ireland, so this is the net number
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Why?

But lying to the house is Serious Shit. 4 out of the 7 are con. Dunno about the others but one of them is Bernard Jenkin who judging from his performance at the liaison committee hates Johnson as much as I do.
    I wonder if Boris simply refuses to attend and gets held in contempt ?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

Five weeks of total usage is 25 weeks of topping up a 20% shortfall. Pretty useful.
    Spot on:

While domestic production is gradually declining, it's still pretty gradual. Absent major accident or incident, we can be fairly sure of it. Likewise Norway is a politically stable country and we have contracted gas volumes (i.e. not spot). (Albeit this is on oil price linked contracts and therefore prices have risen sharply.)

The final fifth of our gas demand is the issue: we buy spot LNG cargoes. And these have gone from $6-8/mmbtu to $30-$40 - a c. 8x rise.

If we had proper levels of storage, we would be in a much better position to weather not being able to source spot LNG cargoes.

* The Norway figure looks bigger than this, but we reexport (and are contracted to do so) a lot to Ireland, so this is the net number
    Is that over a whole year? What do the figures look like in winter?

Presumably we continue to use our domestic supplies in summer and don't bother importing, so the critical period might not look quite so healthy.
  • On topic, there is more chance of Elvis being found alive performing with Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran than there is of Boris facing a by-election.

He'll take the Chiltern Hundreds as soon as his successor is in place.
    England’s “domestic supplies”.

The utter arrogance.
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

Spot on:

* The Norway figure looks bigger than this, but we
    * reexport (and are contracted to do so) a lot to
    * Ireland, so this is the net number
    If the UK switches off it’s gas interconnector to Europe when Vlad turns off the gap, to what extent do you think Norway can/would redirect some of its supply to Europe directly, not withstanding term contract with the UK?

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

I wonder where Joe Rogan was - and what he was doing - when he thought of that? Probably it was during a "brainstorming" session with other interested parties. But maybe not. Perhaps he was alone in the shower - or even not alone in the shower - when, BOOM, it just came to him. He's not the biggest global podcaster on the planet for nothing after all. Me, I prefer Jarvis Cocker but I've heard great things.
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Why?

I wonder if Boris simply refuses to attend and gets held in contempt ?
    This government has a record of refusing to attend select committee hearings; Priti and Kwasi in the past few days. It would not be surprising if Boris stays away. Whether his testimony would be needed is another matter.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,752
    Meanwhile in the Deep South:

How much of a problem is this, that Inverness Florida had a whole ass campaign about not raping daughters??? https://t.co/rFw0mnkdo1

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I think "real sport" is stretching it....but it doesn't stop somebody trying to cash in on weirdos cosplaying Barry Trotter quadball..
    Doesn't it require bone fide wizards?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,704
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Doesn't it require bone fide wizards?
    Seems about as legit as Ultimate (which also changed its name for legal reasons) - similar origins, just a bit newer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(real-life_sport)
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,428
    MaxPB said:

I can open some gas storage sites quickly for you. A salt dome and some megatons - mind you the gas will have a bit of extra…. punch, but no one like a snowflake….
  • Foxy said:

Meanwhile in the Deep South:

How much of a problem is this, that Inverness Florida had a whole ass campaign about not raping daughters??? https://t.co/rFw0mnkdo1

🤮

Makes TSE's videos that often get joked about seem even more sick. WTAF?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    LD implosion klaxon

Labour leads by 9%.

Westminster Voting Intention (20-21 July):

Labour 44% (+2)
    Conservative 35% (+3)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-3)
    Green 5% (-2)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 17 July

https://t.co/OCRz62ALG6 https://t.co/T7AHWRsu8r
    ping said:

murali_s said:

I agree that those who are certain there is no link are fools. However, I don’t think those who aren’t 100% sure are idiots.

It’s not completely out the question that there’s some other, as yet unknown mechanism driving climate change.

From what I understand, scientific consensus is ~95-99% anthropogenic factors have been the primary cause of recent climate change. It’s good enough for me and should be good enough for policy making purposes. But it’s not 100%. We might still be wrong.
    Sure. But we have posters on here likening the acceptance of that overwhelming scientific consensus to religious dogmatism. Bit silly really.
    Our first Tory members poll since the final two candidates were decided shows Liz Truss with a 24pt lead over Rishi Sunak for next leader

Liz Truss: 62%
    Rishi Sunak: 38%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/21/liz-truss-holds-24-point-lead-over-rishi-sunak-amo https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1550148777733914626/photo/1
    Four in ten Tory members say Rishi Sunak cannot be trusted to tell the truth

Rishi Sunak: 48% can be trusted / 40% can't be trusted
    Liz Truss: 63% / 18%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/21/liz-truss-holds-24-point-lead-over-rishi-sunak-amo https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1550148788471439362/photo/1
    edited July 2022

1.73 Liz Truss 58%
    2.4 Rishi Sunak 42%

Next Conservative leader
    1.72 Liz Truss 58%
    2.42 Rishi Sunak 41%

Is there a new leadership poll out? Liz is in; Rishi out.

1.69 Liz Truss 59%
    2.6 Rishi Sunak 38%

Next Conservative leader
    1.63 Liz Truss 61%
    2.5 Rishi Sunak 40%

ETA: ah, I see @Scott_xP has just posted.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Scott_xP said:

Our first Tory members poll since the final two candidates were decided shows Liz Truss with a 24pt lead over Rishi Sunak for next leader

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/21/liz-truss-holds-24-point-lead-over-rishi-sunak-amo https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1550148777733914626/photo/1

RIP Tory Party

• kinabalu said:

ping said:

murali_s said:

Sure. But we have posters on here likening the acceptance of that overwhelming scientific consensus to religious dogmatism. Bit silly really.
    Who? I haven't seen anyone doing that.

Apart from a few idiots, who are extremely rare on this site, nobody denies climate change.

What is debated more is what is the best way to deal with it?

On topic, there is more chance of Elvis being found alive performing with Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran than there is of Boris facing a by-election.

He'll take the Chiltern Hundreds as soon as his successor is in place.

And probably fritter it all on parking tickets.
    Scott_xP said:

That accounts for the betting changes. I'd like to see Opinium or another pollster weigh in so we can be sure there is not a Yougov house effect.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    Scott_xP said:

God help us.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Scott_xP said:

Dead as a dodo.

Even assuming he turns things around, massive numbers will have voted (and I doubt many of them realise if they send another the later one will count instead)
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028

LD implosion klaxon

Labour leads by 9%.

Westminster Voting Intention (20-21 July):

Labour 44% (+2)
    Conservative 35% (+3)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-3)
    Green 5% (-2)
    Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (-)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 17 July

https://t.co/OCRz62ALG6 https://t.co/T7AHWRsu8r

I find it remarkable the conservatives are at 35% and yougov virtually seals it for Truss

Indeed Sunak should consider it all over even though I would have preferred him

The next few months will be very interesting

1.73 Liz Truss 58%
    2.4 Rishi Sunak 42%

Next Conservative leader
    1.72 Liz Truss 58%
    2.42 Rishi Sunak 41%

Is there a new leadership poll out? Liz is in; Rishi out.

1.69 Liz Truss 59%
    2.6 Rishi Sunak 38%

Next Conservative leader
    1.63 Liz Truss 61%
    2.5 Rishi Sunak 40%

ETA: ah, I see @Scott_xP has just posted.
    1.56 Liz Truss 64%
    2.84 Rishi Sunak 35%

Next Conservative leader
    1.55 Liz Truss 65%
    2.82 Rishi Sunak 35%
    Redfield is Labours highest share with them but also a Tory recovery to the position they had reached just before La deluge and the lead is back to what is was just before that deluge. Now digging for nuggets......
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,428

Andy_JS said:

"@BritainElects

via @KantarPublic

We often see a week or 2 before big news filters through to the polls. Will be interesting to see where the next ones land - is this just an outlier, or what?
    LOL

https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1550142861945049092
    Weird that Bannon lacks the courage to say to the jurors all the stuff he says on the courthouse steps. Or on his podcast.
    At this moment, which of the following individuals do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom? (20-21 July)

Starmer vs Sunak:

Starmer 41% (-2)
    Sunak 33% (–)

Starmer vs Truss:

Starmer 39% (-2)
    Truss 34% (+5)

(Changes +/- 17 July) https://t.co/JncTGN4R8f

Truss surge?!
    I can't imagine Boris would be suspended for 10 days so long as he continues to insist he was a fool and there was no intention to mislead. Since that cannot be proven, a suspension below the trigger would seem more probable.

kinabalu said:

ping said:

murali_s said:

Apart from a few idiots, who are extremely rare on this site, nobody denies climate change.

Last thread has examples. But, yes, it's rare on here. And, yes, what's important is actions taken.
  • At this moment, which of the following individuals do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom? (20-21 July)

Starmer vs Sunak:

Starmer 41% (-2)
    Sunak 33% (–)

Starmer vs Truss:

Starmer 39% (-2)
    Truss 34% (+5)

Truss surge?!

Truss doing better than Sunak. 🤣

Its all Margin of Error stuff, but we have had people here saying Truss must lose because she was doing worse by Margin of Error amounts, so I wonder who'll change their views now she's in the lead by Margin of Error amounts?
    I wonder what Tory MPs are thinking as we head into the long 6 weeks of debate ..
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

At this moment, which of the following individuals do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom? (20-21 July)

Starmer vs Sunak:

Starmer 41% (-2)
    Sunak 33% (–)

Starmer vs Truss:

Starmer 39% (-2)
    Truss 34% (+5)

Truss surge?!

That kills Sunak's only USP.

Truss will walk this unless she does something stupid.
    Scott_xP said:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/21/liz-truss-holds-24-point-lead-over-rishi-sunak-amo https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1550148788471439362/photo/1

Truss seems to have sharper political instincts. She wanted Boris gone too, so she could run, but doesn't get the stigma of having quit and being 'untrustworthy'.

Of course, without Sunak also jumping ship with Javid maybe the opening would not have arisen, so he was kind of stuck in that respect.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ping said:

murali_s said:

Last thread has examples. But, yes, it's rare on here. And, yes, what's important is actions taken.
    I didn't see any examples on the last thread, if there were any I missed them.

Though related my last reply to the last thread made a religious comparison but was posted after this thread started. The UK and the rest of the West needs to be rejecting any self-harming religious-inspired zealotry about abandoning planes and cars etc and instead doing everything possible to invest in developing clean and affordable technologies.

Clean technologies don't just help us remove our emissions, they can be exported to the rest of the world too.

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Alistair said:

Completely agreed.

The thing is though that technological innovation is not only viable, its exportable too.

Too many zealots seem to want us to act like Medieval Flagellants as the "solution" to climate change and to atone for the sins of capitalist growth but that solves nothing. And as you say the rest of the world will look askance at us doing anything like that and not copy it.

But develop cheap, clean, reliable energy? That is technology that can not just be used here but developed and exported globally. Developing nations will not be prepared to engage in Flagellation but they will be prepared to adopt cheap, clean and reliable energy as opposed to smog-inducing dirty and more expensive energy.
    Scott_xP said:

Says quite a bit about Tory members.

Andy_JS said:

It's worked - I doubt anyone would have paid it much attention without the signalling, and certainly wouldn't have cared.
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss seems to have sharper political instincts. She wanted Boris gone too, so she could run, but doesn't get the stigma of having quit and being 'untrustworthy'.

Of course, without Sunak also jumping ship with Javid maybe the opening would not have arisen, so he was kind of stuck in that respect.
    I’m not sure that would have made a difference. The choice was about who could offer the Tory membership more “true conservative” policies. Truss just flexed to the “tax cut” line because she wasn’t in the position of being chancellor

Good luck to her. She obviously has a huge amount of (misplaced) self belief to think she can turn it around
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,080

Andy_JS said:

"@BritainElects

via @KantarPublic

All consistent with Labour being about 40, Tories about 31, which is the picture recently.

This discussion has been closed.