Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Looking ahead to 2022 Senate Elections – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited July 2022 in General
imageLooking ahead to 2022 Senate Elections – politicalbetting.com

There are four months until the next set of US elections. And midterms – normally – are not kind to the incumbent party. And that’s in normal times: this time around, you have an unpopular President lacking his predecessor’s hard core of support, and an unprecedented cost of living increase.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    What an excellent article. I agree with every sagacious word.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Great piece - thanks Robert.

Fetterman-Oz is fascinating. The former may not make it though thanks to health issues.
  • Options
    Confused.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Labour ready to fight Johnson over effects of Brexit, says Starmer https://on.ft.com/3AnNOln
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    At the moment it looks like the GOP will gain the House, although the polls are closer since the SC judgement. The Senate however will likely stay Democrat, polls in all the above swing Senate states have the Democrats ahead
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Holding Georgia would be an interesting one, given how dramatic everything was for the run offs.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/OliverKamm/status/1543706807960485890

So would I! What a great Government it would be
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Nice ad from Fetterman.

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1543650827545591808
    If you’re OK with a celebrity TV doctor who ISN’T FROM PA and has a house that used to belong to King George…

I am, uh, not your candidate.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    Scott_xP said:
    Pincher groping @Scott_xP is a scary thought. Would it turn his hand into a remainer?
  • Options
    Blake Masters, who worked for Peter Thiel as head of his foundation, and while undoubtedly smart, seems to lack the normal range of human emotions and facial expressions

Sounds like he could go far.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2022
    Sir Keir Starmer will on Monday signal that Labour is willing to fight Boris Johnson over his Brexit legacy at the next election, setting out a five-point plan to tackle the economic pain caused by Britain’s EU exit.

In a big tactical shift, Starmer will use a speech to denounce the “mess” created by the UK prime minister’s 2020 Brexit deal and the breakdown of trust with the EU caused by the row over the trading arrangements for Northern Ireland.

The Labour leader has until now shied away from talking about Brexit, fearing it would alienate Leave voters, but he has been emboldened by emerging evidence of the hit the departure has inflicted on the economy.

He will claim that Labour can “make Brexit work”, arguing that Johnson’s Brexit deal had contributed to a sense of a country that was “stuck”, with wages and growth stagnating and broken public services.

“Nothing about revisiting those rows will help stimulate growth or bring down food prices or help British business thrive in the modern world — it would simply be a recipe for more division,” he will say.

Labour would seek a veterinary agreement with the EU to cut onerous agrifood checks, mutual recognition of product standards and a deal on mobility to facilitate short business trips and help artists tour in Europe.

Starmer would use the agrifood deal to remove most checks on trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and negotiate a trusted trader scheme to end the stand-off with Brussels over the rules, contained in the part of the Brexit deal called the Northern Ireland Protocol.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I see today that the government's latest plan for housing is to introduce 50 year mortgages.

It just beggars belief. We have had 14 years since the financial crisis and we still seem unable or unwilling to deal with the fundamental problem with the British economy. What you might call the banking financial property complex. The solution to unaffordable housing is always to make credit more easily available. Is Starmer set to pounce and call this out for what it is? I'm not holding my breath. But before you pile in on Starmer have the Lib Dems said anything. Has Blair or any other elder statesman ever felt the need to comment?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nice ad from Fetterman.

If you’re OK with a celebrity TV doctor who ISN’T FROM PA and has a house that used to belong to King George…

I get the point about him not having any real connection and just having bought a house in the state, but is an ad basically just saying he is very rich really the most effective line?
  • Options
    Robert, you are seriously under-rating Dr Oz.

For one thing, you fail to mention that he is a major media performer who comes across quite well on TV. No doubt the chief reason 45 backs him.

AND overestimating dual citizenship and Jersey taint. As well as Fetterman's innate appeal. PLUS not mentioning HIS health issue; having a stroke on eve of primary NOT a good look.

However, possible that strength of Democratic AG and gubernatorial nominee Josh Shapiro over his wingnut GOP opponent might help Fetterman over the top.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nice ad from Fetterman.

I get the point about him not having any real connection and just having bought a house in the state, but is an ad basically just saying he is very rich really the most effective line?
    Mind, it's like someone trying to get elected in Epping who lived in Arthur Scargill's former house.
  • Options
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnsons-leadership-is-turning-nearly-half-of-voters-off-the-conservatives-poll-shows-1720891

After winning a landslide in 2019 largely due to his own personal appeal, the Prime Minister now risks tarnishing the Tory brand.

By contrast, more people say Keir Starmer is a reason for them to vote Labour at the next election than those who say he is a turn-off.

Some 29 per cent of people not planning to vote Conservative in 2024 say Mr Johnson being leader has turned them off, while 35 per cent say they do not trust the Tories to stick to their promises and 24 per cent say the party is not doing a good job in government.

A total of 22 per cent blame rule-breaking by No 10 and Tory figures during the pandemic, while the same proportion said they were never likely to vote Conservative anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

Labour would seek a veterinary agreement with the EU to cut onerous agrifood checks, mutual recognition of product standards and a deal on mobility to facilitate short business trips and help artists tour in Europe.

Starmer would use the agrifood deal to remove most checks on trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and negotiate a trusted trader scheme to end the stand-off with Brussels over the rules, contained in the part of the Brexit deal called the Northern Ireland Protocol.

The EU won't agree to mutual recognition. That's the crux of the stand-off at the moment. Starmer is selling snake oil.
  • Options
    Some 45 per cent of all voters say Mr Johnson being leader makes voting Tory less appealing, against just 17 per cent who say he makes it more appealing.

The Prime Minister has a net dissatisfaction rating of 64 per cent, while just 20 per cent are satisfied with him in No 10.

Sir Keir’s ratings are more favourable, although there is not an overwhelming support for the Labour leader: his net dissatisfaction rating is the same as the proportion who are satisfied, at 30 per cent.

Of those who say they will not vote Labour at the next election, 25 per cent cite Sir Keir as the reason, while 21 per cent say the party does not have the right plan to deal with the major issues facing the country.

Out of all voters, 29 per cent say Sir Keir’s leadership makes voting Labour more appealing, while 23 per cent say it makes support for his party less appealing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nice ad from Fetterman.

In blue collar PA? I reckon it will be.

A key scene is Dr Oz kissing his little street stone in Hollywood. Just screams elite and lefty California etc etc

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

I see today that the government's latest plan for housing is to introduce 50 year mortgages.

It just beggars belief. We have had 14 years since the financial crisis and we still seem unable or unwilling to deal with the fundamental problem with the British economy. What you might call the banking financial property complex. The solution to unaffordable housing is always to make credit more easily available. Is Starmer set to pounce and call this out for what it is? I'm not holding my breath. But before you pile in on Starmer have the Lib Dems said anything. Has Blair or any other elder statesman ever felt the need to comment?

Au contraire. The plan makes perfect sense.

That's because the plan isn't to make housing more affordable for young families, or to help first time buyers onto the housing ladder.

The plan is to keep the ponzi going at all costs to inflate the asset value of existing home owners, most of whom are a) older and b) vote Conservative.

Increasing demand via longer (hence more affordable, in repayment terms at least) mortgages, as well as introducing sub-prime mortgages for benefit claimants, add more demand to a system with limited supply. That's the idea. As has been the idea of every other plan aimed at helping "young" "first time buyers" "stretched families" etc.

Help to buy, stamp duty freeze, etc, all pushed house prices up to the benefit of those who already owned houses. This latest wheeze is no different.
  • Options
    It would be good to see an Independent elected, regardless of which way he would generally side in the Senate. More Indies the better.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nice ad from Fetterman.

Plus plenty of voters are indeed pretty happy with celebrity TV doctors. Such as Dr. Oz.

For example, while I like Beto O'Rourke, would prefer Dr Phil as our candidate this year in Texas!

As for the carpetbagger tag, that is WAY more effective with rural voters than in cities or suburbs. That is, the type of folks who've been voting GOP up & down the ticket for years. AND who just put Oz over the top in the VERY VERY close GOP primary.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

Some 45 per cent of all voters say Mr Johnson being leader makes voting Tory less appealing, against just 17 per cent who say he makes it more appealing.

The Prime Minister has a net dissatisfaction rating of 64 per cent, while just 20 per cent are satisfied with him in No 10.

Sir Keir’s ratings are more favourable, although there is not an overwhelming support for the Labour leader: his net dissatisfaction rating is the same as the proportion who are satisfied, at 30 per cent.

Of those who say they will not vote Labour at the next election, 25 per cent cite Sir Keir as the reason, while 21 per cent say the party does not have the right plan to deal with the major issues facing the country.

Out of all voters, 29 per cent say Sir Keir’s leadership makes voting Labour more appealing, while 23 per cent say it makes support for his party less appealing.

If that's NET dissatisfaction and 20% are satisfied, then the total poll is 104%.
  • Options

Don't the french have 50 year mortgages?

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    rcs1000 said:

Nice orthodox full stop placement too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

I tried to read it but fell into a comma.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the moment it looks like the GOP will gain the House, although the polls are closer since the SC judgement. The Senate however will likely stay Democrat, polls in all the above swing Senate states have the Democrats ahead

PA could be the crucial state that decides Senate and Trump has placed his faith in TV's Dr Oz against Fetterman, proper blue collar PA.

Absolutely fascinating contest.

• Options

Confused.
    Your opinion. Mine is, pigeon-holing people is problematic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited July 2022
    Rain Man has just started on BBC1 in case anyone's interested.
  • Options
    Peter Brook.

RIP.

• Options

It seems governments simply cannot countenance the prospect of property prices falling so resort to more or less anything to prevent it happening on "their watch".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Mortgage has its origin in the term death debt.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nice ad from Fetterman.

In blue collar PA? I reckon it will be.

A key scene is Dr Oz kissing his little street stone in Hollywood. Just screams elite and lefty California etc etc

Unfortunately, Fetterman's attack ad versus Dr. Oz reflects what his political consultant THINKS are persuasive arguments with blue-collar Pennsylvanians.

Personally (as among other things a native son of the Keystone State) think that's a load of phooey. Mostly because intended audience will be more impressed with Oz's success (as documented) than by his largess (ditto). Similar to how they perceived 45.

Plus (as a bush-league consultant myself) thing the ad looks cheap and hokey, and will come across like that to Pennamite audience.

But we shall see. Just hope that Fetterman's folks can come up with something way better.

Which I'm guess is the plan, this one is more to show the flag, give heart to donors (actual & potential) and discombobulate Oz & his Munchkins (including 45). Though reckon latter is faint hope.

• Options

Confused.
    In my book being a feminist means objecting to a load of patriarchs telling you what to do with your own body.

Bit 1970s I guess.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

It seems governments simply cannot countenance the prospect of property prices falling so resort to more or less anything to prevent it happening on "their watch".
    One area where much of the public and the government are aligned on aims.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Perhaps TSE can host Comma,Coma-Con 2022?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

They don't necessarily need to fall but a correction whereby they at least rise less than wages.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

One area where much of the public and the government are aligned on aims.
    Sadly yes.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787

I don't understand the controversy about this and there seems to be a lot of misinformation going around.
    You can already get 'lifetime' mortgages in old age to release equity; why not just have a longer repayment period when you take out the mortgage? Surely pension income is just as secure as employment income.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortgage has its origin in the term death debt.
    If banks gave 50 year mortgages to people in their early 20s then it would be fine surely? Most would live to pay it off.

I confess I don't know: but was there anything actually stopping banks doing this already?

I accept that a key argument against it is it just adds to house prices.
  • Options

Confused.
    In my book being a feminist means objecting to a load of patriarchs telling you what to do with your own body.

Bit 1970s I guess.

Sorta guessing she's heard your argument before, and gotten pretty skilled at handling it, at least to her satisfaction.

In my experience, today's youth, whatever their opinions, are quite unpersuaded by having boomers telling then how they SHOULD think.

What a strange generation!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Holding Georgia would be an interesting one, given how dramatic everything was for the run offs.

Black versus Black add interesting twist.

Esp. in state where Jimmy Carter's immediate predecessor as governor, Lester Maddox (also Lt Gov at same time JC was Gov) who first came to fame by chasing Blacks out of his Atlanta restaurant with an ax-handle.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I don't understand the controversy about this and there seems to be a lot of misinformation going around.
    You can already get 'lifetime' mortgages in old age to release equity; why not just have a longer repayment period when you take out the mortgage? Surely pension income is just as secure as employment income.
    The trouble is that it feels like yet another attempt to ignore the fundamental problem.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Alistair said: "And often raging hypocrites: they will one day be picketing and abortion clinic, the next day they will bring their teeneage child to the clinic to get and abortion and then turn up the following day to picket it again."

Science fiction writer Larry Niven has a thought for you: "There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it." To which I would add, or hypocrite.

But for those who think they can prove a generality by an example, I'll give you two, one on each side: The late Nat Hentoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Hentoff
    And the late Hugh Hefner, who had very practical financial reasons for favoring abortion, just like Boris Johnson.

I don't think either Hentoff or Hefner was hypocritical in his beliefs about abortion. (As it happens, there are pro-life members of my family -- and none of them fit your caricature, though I don't doubt that it is possible to find a few people that do, human beings being imperfect.)

• Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

darkage said:

The trouble is that it feels like yet another attempt to ignore the fundamental problem.
    It also fucks those its marketed to help, with more leverage leading to higher prices. Thus current first time buyers have to spend significantly more future income than those buying before the 50 year rules are introduced.

Shall we mention the potential for being in negative equity for 10+ years...
  • Options
    I agree with the analysis in Robert's post. which is similar to that made recently by the FiveThirtyEight crew: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-republicans-are-favored-to-win-the-house-but-not-the-senate/

Two stray thoughts: Right now, naitonally the enthusiasm gap is definitely in the Republicans favor.

Here in Washington state, our senator, Patty Murray, is running expensive TV ads, both positive and negative, even before our primary. Why, I have no idea. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Murray )
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Nigelb said:
    No, I was exchanged from 1998 to 2002. Got an extra year because the RN couldn't find a replacement. (F-14 exchangees had to be QFIs which were very thin on the ground in the RN by that stage.)

In the FAA we "railed" plenty of other ships in a similar manner though. The only one who ever complained was a Canadian Halifax class in the Atlantic so we went round and did it again.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited July 2022
    Is Vance expected to win in Ohio? I think my preferred outcome would be 50-50 in the Senate with Vance being elected.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

darkage said:

No one really wants to fix the problem - see the LibDems running to Nimbyism the moment they think it will help their electoral chances.

Anyone who says the situation can be fixed by other than building lots of houses is a liar.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited July 2022

If that's NET dissatisfaction and 20% are satisfied, then the total poll is 104%.
    Lib Dem poll !

No, that would be 204% .
  • Options

I agree with the analysis in Robert's post. which is similar to that made recently by the FiveThirtyEight crew: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-republicans-are-favored-to-win-the-house-but-not-the-senate/

Two stray thoughts: Right now, naitonally the enthusiasm gap is definitely in the Republicans favor.

Here in Washington state, our senator, Patty Murray, is running expensive TV ads, both positive and negative, even before our primary. Why, I have no idea. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Murray )

Patty Murray is hitting the airwaves early
    > to boost her showing in upcoming August primary
    > because polling released by her likely general election opponent, virtually unknown Republican Tiffany Smiley, show Murray at 48, Smiley at 43, a lead for incumbent (first elected 1992) of just one percentage-point above the poll's margin of error.

Poll paid for by Smiley, but they Murray is doing her own polling - obviously.

Patty is long both in seniority (five terms, first elected 1992) and tooth (age 77) but she's still got most of her marbles, and all her desire to win re-election.

In her last mid-term election, versus well-known but hard-right Dino Rossi (who only lost 2004 governor's race by 133 votes statewide) Patty got 52% of the vote. She won 59% in 2016, but note her Republican opponent that year was a Never-Trumper which alienated part of the GOP base who skipped the race.

So it's possible that, in a less-than-stellar mid-term year for Democrats, a fresh face MIGHT (emphasis on conditional) give Patty are real run for her political life.

Maybe someone like Smiley, who is 41 and a veterans advocate whose been caregiver to her husband (wounded by suicide bomber in Iraq) and other wounded vets at Walter Reed Hospital and in eastern WA. Yet to be seen how she'd do on the campaign trail OR on the TV screen, but we should find out very soon. Clearly the Evergreen State GOP establishment (or what passes for it these days) is putting it's support (for what that's worth these days) behind Tiffany Smiley.

This in same election year that Republicans are loaded for bear to recapture the 9th congressional district (distinct possibility post-redistricting) and will almost certainly supporting a declared Nonpartisan independent for Secretary of State. AND in which thousands of Democrats will be voting for a Republican who supported Trump's impeachment for US House (Herrera Beutler or Newhouse) in two districts where they will face pro-Trump Putinist Republicans this Fall.

So Patty's has a BIG early ad buy. Anticipate seeing WAY more from now through November 8!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2 - Thanks for the info. Before I saw all those TV ads, I would have said she had less than 1 chance in 100 of losing. Now, I am not so sure what the odds should be. (In Washington state, as almost everywhere in the US, the crime issue is going to hurt Democrats, and I was interested to see that she is trying to reduce the losses from the issue in her ads, already.)

You and I may disagree on this, but I don't think most observers here would call Dino Rossi "hard-right". If I recall correctly, Clint Didier, who could be called "hard-right", did not endorse Rossi after the primary.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Slightly annoyed by this piece- it's excellent but I was writing one on the same topic.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    kle4 said:

Blake Masters, who worked for Peter Thiel as head of his foundation, and while undoubtedly smart, seems to lack the normal range of human emotions and facial expressions

Ah Peter Thiel. Who had some (ahem) interesting views on rape, and who believes that 'competition is for losers'.

"Instead of seeking to win through competition, founders of new companies should build monopolies."

It's coming to the stage where I'm starting to want to see Musk brought down a level or three. And Thiel with him.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    Police let 22,000 suspects roam free: Fugitives accused of murder, rape and violence fail to attend court, but officers 'are too busy' to arrest them
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10978527/Police-let-22-000-suspects-roam-fail-attend-court.html

The party of law and order! Boris would no doubt bluster that this is why they are recruiting more police, forgetting to mention who cut the police in the first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

Ah Peter Thiel. Who had some (ahem) interesting views on rape, and who believes that 'competition is for losers'.

"Instead of seeking to win through competition, founders of new companies should build monopolies."

It's coming to the stage where I'm starting to want to see Musk brought down a level or three. And Thiel with him.
    One factor that traditionally helped American business is the sheer size of the country which means it is comparatively easy to build local and regional monopolies. Few will drive for two hours just to visit a rival furniture store.
  • Options
    SAS BANS offensive nicknames such as 'Doris, 'Ruperts' and 'Crabs'
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sas-bans-offensive-nicknames-doris-27383545

The Mirror reports SAS top brass have outlawed:-
    Crabs = RAF — as pb will know, thanks to @Dura_Ace
    Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

The Mirror adds that:-
    It is understood the ruling came after an Intelligence Corps soldier complained about the nickname Green Slime, in reference to the Corps’ beret colour.

He said he felt “humiliated” after, “Anything from green slime?” was said at a briefing.

Last year, SAS officers were banned from calling the SBS the ‘Shaky Boats Service’.

The MoD does not comment on the special forces.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: what a splendid race. Must be said the new regulations continue to work very well in allowing closer racing.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: what a splendid race. Must be said the new regulations continue to work very well in allowing closer racing.

Or yet another race decided by the safety car.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Really? I’m surprised given it was such a short comment.

If you fall into commas over that you’ve got a condition that sounds worse than a life sentence.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Teach medieval history in schools or we will 'lose our past'
    Focusing on Hitler and Henry VIII is too narrow, warns Tory MP Alexander Stafford

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/03/much-focus-hitler-henry-viii-school-history-curriculum-mp-warns/ (£££)

ETA later today there will be an Adjournment debate on this subject in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

If you fall into commas over that you’ve got a condition that sounds worse than a life sentence.
    Probably a punctuated lung?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, best to remain in punctuated equilibrium.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sas-bans-offensive-nicknames-doris-27383545

Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

It is understood the ruling came after an Intelligence Corps soldier complained about the nickname Green Slime, in reference to the Corps’ beret colour.

He said he felt “humiliated” after, “Anything from green slime?” was said at a briefing.

Last year, SAS officers were banned from calling the SBS the ‘Shaky Boats Service’.

I'd reading Roland White - Phoenix Squadron at the moment and didn't realise FAA did exchanges with Miramar in the early 70s.

But, unlike the Americans who tended to adopt callsigns like Viper and Maverick the ones the Brits went for included Alien, Dogbreath, Cholmondley and Spastic.
  • Options
    RAF's flagship drone squadron has no drones
    216 Squadron RAF also has just four full-time personnel

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/04/rafs-flagship-drone-squadron-has-no-drones/ (£££)
  • Options
    Good article on how Congress might limit the powers of the Supreme Coirt.
    How the Founders Intended to Check the Supreme Court’s Power
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/07/03/dont-expand-the-supreme-court-shrink-it-00043863

Probably some ways off Democrats having the votes, but I think it will happen this decade.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/04/rafs-flagship-drone-squadron-has-no-drones/ (£££)

You really should listen to the latrest Perun video, if you think our military's got it bad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDUVtUA7rg

tl;dl: the German military is screwed atm. They spend vast amounts and get very little for it. And there might not be much appetite to fix its problems.
  • Options

Teach medieval history in schools or we will 'lose our past'
    Focusing on Hitler and Henry VIII is too narrow, warns Tory MP Alexander Stafford

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/03/much-focus-hitler-henry-viii-school-history-curriculum-mp-warns/ (£££)

ETA later today there will be an Adjournment debate on this subject in the House of Commons.

He is right. One of the highly unfortunate side effects of the new GCSE and A-level is that while they were intended to widen the history curriculum the way they were designed has ended up narrowing it considerably, by leaving only about five or six viable combinations.

It wasn’t I think deliberate, the people designing it were just, surprise surprise, totally incompetent.

Whether a Tory MP will have the guts to actually say this is another question.
  • Options

You really should listen to the latrest Perun video, if you think our military's got it bad:

tl;dl: the German military is screwed atm. They spend vast amounts and get very little for it. And there might not be much appetite to fix its problems.
    Listening now, but meanwhile:-

Troop cuts will leave the Army at breaking point, says Lord Dannatt
    Government’s decision to shed 10,000 soldiers is ’madness’ as Britain faces resurgent threat from Russia, says retired general

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/03/troop-cuts-will-leave-army-breaking-point-says-lord-dannatt/ (£££)
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    darkage said:

The point of very long term mortgages isn't to make it easier for more people who don't already own a house to buy one. It's to increase competition for the limited stock of property available and, therefore, to make the assets of existing homeowners more valuable.

The housing market is custom rigged to inflate demand and constrict supply, so as to make older voters who are already owner-occupiers feel richer, and enable them to pass on a vast trove of wealth to their children when they die. The grey vote has the politics of the country in a choke hold, its main priorities are boosting the value of pensions and house prices, so that's what happens.

It's no wonder that this country has such a problem with lack of productivity and business investment when so much of the national wealth is locked up in dead piles of bricks that do nothing, save for enabling banks and landlords to bleed the finances of mortgage payers and renters white. If housing costs for most people of working age were reasonable rather than extortionate, average disposable incomes would be much higher, levels of deprivation much lower, and the economy would be transformed accordingly. But no, we must have stupidly expensive homes because this suits existing owners, hence the fact that virtually any attempt to build new ones is (a) punished at the ballot box and (b) fought tooth and nail by hordes of furious nimbies.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Nice bright morning again!
    Major weekend of sport behind us; similar week ahead from the looks of it!

What sort of a mess, though, have our politics become? Will Durham police announce 'no case to answer' for the LOTO, or will the PM be able to wriggle out of his problems again?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    Off topic - saw the Stones last night, they were incredible.
  • Options
    Advice sought from PB boozers on plonk problem:-

Is still pink wine supposed to be chilled like white wine or left out like red wine?
  • Options
    F1: bad news, there's sprint race bullshit at Austria.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Mr. JohnL, you negative Nancy.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

Is still pink wine supposed to be chilled like white wine or left out like red wine?

Chilled.
  • Options
    Wouldn't Kyrgios vs Norrie be absolute showbiz.
  • Options

Will come as no surprise to PBers. I mentioned a short while ago that SKS was a regular visitor to TB at the latter's London home.
  • Options

Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

I'd reading Roland White - Phoenix Squadron at the moment and didn't realise FAA did exchanges with Miramar in the early 70s.

But, unlike the Americans who tended to adopt callsigns like Viper and Maverick the ones the Brits went for included Alien, Dogbreath, Cholmondley and Spastic.
    We didn't (normally) have individual callsigns in the FAA/RAF although the practice is creeping now. The callsigns were generally derived from the squadron's identity and then had a number appended to them. Sea Harriers were usually Vixen, Satan or Fist.

In the USN you get your callsign from the instructors at the end of RAG/FRS or from the other crew in the first posting to the fleet. You don't get to choose it but the CO has a veto.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

We didn't (normally) have individual callsigns in the FAA/RAF although the practice is creeping now. The callsigns were generally derived from the squadron's identity and then had a number appended to them. Sea Harriers were usually Vixen, Satan or Fist.

In the USN you get your callsign from the instructors at the end of RAG/FRS or from the other crew in the first posting to the fleet. You don't get to choose it but the CO has a veto.
    Fist, eh?
  • Options

Government’s decision to shed 10,000 soldiers is ’madness’ as Britain faces resurgent threat from Russia, says retired general

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/03/troop-cuts-will-leave-army-breaking-point-says-lord-dannatt/ (£££)
    Time elapsed from Johnson promising no further reduction to the army and the 10,000 troop cut: 16 months.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Time elapsed from Johnson promising no further reduction to the army and the 10,000 troop cut: 16 months.
    Really? An unusually long delay by his standards. Are you sure he didn't repeat his pledge a week or so ago?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    TOPPING said:

Will come as no surprise to PBers. I mentioned a short while ago that SKS was a regular visitor to TB at the latter's London home.
    Personally, a SKS government under the control of ‘The Master’ is an altogether more attractive proposition. Sign me up!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

The former. Indeed red isn’t supposed to be ‘left out’ - cellar temperature is lower than room temperature and this can be simulated by half an hour in the fridge.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

I think this was a bit before your time?

Unless you are 70+ years old.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The former. Indeed red isn’t supposed to be ‘left out’ - cellar temperature is lower than room temperature and this can be simulated by half an hour in the fridge.
    Brits typically drink white wine too cold and red wine too warm but of course it's up to individual taste.

A mildly amusing party trick is to see if, unseen, people can tell the difference between red and white wine at room temperature. (They can't.)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    rkrkrk said:

Slightly annoyed by this piece- it's excellent but I was writing one on the same topic.

With the same conclusion?
  • Options

Surely No.39 are the "flagship" drone squadron. They've got 10 x MQ-9 Reapers and used them to kill "terrorists" in Iraq last week. And they all get live in Nevada.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

He's actually quite like Theresa May; they were both crap at decision-making.

She took ages to reach a decision and then split the difference whereas he makes a really crap decision quickly and then it takes ages before he relents and does some of what he should have done in the first place.
  • Options

Army numbers should return to 100-105k like they were in the noughties under Blair. This would allow 15-20k to be deployed to the continent permanently as a fully fledged warfighting division, and supplementable/sustainable in times of war.

However, to do that and re-equip properly would probably take a 60% uplift in the Army's budget (maybe an extra £10-12bn a year, every year) and 3-4 years to achieve so I don't expect it anytime soon.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    Morning all! The problem with "just build a lot more houses" is that the developers build for profit rather than need. The country does not need another exclusive development of executive homes. It needs apartment blocks in towns with communal facilities like restaurants and open spaces.

London seems to manage to build these - albeit at "market rates" which means the price is stupid. But little anywhere else. Doesn't help that post Grenfell nobody trusts the industry or the government not to build death traps for profit.

As I have said before the solution is to spin out Housing Associations to commercially build these snazzy apartment blocks who h are never ever up for sale. Increase supply of property people need at prices they can afford, take the lunacy out of the market and rebalance things so that renting - at same prices that don't pay someone else's mortgage - becomes normal as it is in places like Germany.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

darkage said:

The point of very long term mortgages isn't to make it easier for more people who don't already own a house to buy one. It's to increase competition for the limited stock of property available and, therefore, to make the assets of existing homeowners more valuable.

The housing market is custom rigged to inflate demand and constrict supply, so as to make older voters who are already owner-occupiers feel richer, and enable them to pass on a vast trove of wealth to their children when they die. The grey vote has the politics of the country in a choke hold, its main priorities are boosting the value of pensions and house prices, so that's what happens.

It's no wonder that this country has such a problem with lack of productivity and business investment when so much of the national wealth is locked up in dead piles of bricks that do nothing, save for enabling banks and landlords to bleed the finances of mortgage payers and renters white. If housing costs for most people of working age were reasonable rather than extortionate, average disposable incomes would be much higher, levels of deprivation much lower, and the economy would be transformed accordingly. But no, we must have stupidly expensive homes because this suits existing owners, hence the fact that virtually any attempt to build new ones is (a) punished at the ballot box and (b) fought tooth and nail by hordes of furious nimbies.
    UK house prices relative to average earnings don't seem markedly different to anywhere else in Europe to my untutored and ignorant eye. Is any country doing it right? Accepting that right means affordable houses to buy for young people in places they actually want to live.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Doris = lady soldiers
    Ruperts = officers

Fist, eh?
    Traditions of the Navy, as enunciated by one Churchill WS?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited July 2022
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Brits typically drink white wine too cold and red wine too warm but of course it's up to individual taste.

A mildly amusing party trick is to see if, unseen, people can tell the difference between red and white wine at room temperature. (They can't.)
    My late father in law did a wine quiz at a family party once, including blind tasting of two white wines. We had to name the grape, and determine which was the French and which the New Zealand one.

Most got that the grape was Sauvignion Blanc, but the question of origin was more perplexing. Uncle Baxter claimed both were French, while most of us picked A or B.

Baxter was right though, my FiL had indeed accidentally wrapped two of the same wine...
  • Options
    EXCL: Rebel Tories believe Pincher scandal bolsters their efforts to oust Johnson via 1922 elections

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-scandal-revitalises-rebel-plot-to-topple-boris-johnson-jdtx6lbn0 https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1543851370649886720/photo/1

One "compromise" plan gaining currency: instead of removing Johnson's 1 year immunity from another vote, you introduce a new rule saying that a new confidence vote can be triggered by letters from 25% of Conservative MPs (that's currently 90)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-scandal-revitalises-rebel-plot-to-topple-boris-johnson-jdtx6lbn0
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.