Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Raab: “No leadership challenge next week” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

You know where hasn’t attracted many migrants? Scotland.

Some of the consequences of that may be seen in the latest SNP budget.

It's actually a big problem. Scotland's demographic profile is pretty bleak. And Scot Nattery doesn't help as it definitely puts off investors worried about potential loss of access to UK market.
    I haven't looked through all the replies, but I posed the question earlier: what's the net non-rUK immigration rate to Scotland, and how does it compare to the overall UK rate?

The figures I found were:
    20,000 to Scotland (population 5.45 million)
    239,000 to UK (population 65 million)

Those rates are exactly the same.

Have I got my numbers wrong? Or is the idea that immigrants don't come to Scotland a lie?
    I think London & SE skews the figs somewhat; I believe eg Glasgow and Newcastle's non UK born residents are similar. It's a problem for sure though. Unionists would rather bore on about how crap Scotland is as a destination than give 'the most powerful devolved administration in the world' a modicum of control over immigration.
    Is the most powerful devolved administration in the world a genuine tagline?
    Apologies, on checking it was one of the most powerful devolved administrations in the world, author one David Cameron.

Edit: though the Tele reports in another speech he said "In Scotland our plans are to create the strongest devolved government anywhere in the world, with important powers over taxation."
    I know what you're thinking: did he hold two referendums or only one?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Going unnoticed on here is Tory Mp Tobias Ellwood’s push for the UK to rejoin the Single Market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/01/britain-should-rejoin-eu-single-market-ease-cost-living-crisis/

Exactly as I was discussing the other night (last night?) and I was much pooh-poohed. Yet I am right. If a Tory is gunning for this then you can be sure a Labour govt under 2nd vote Starmer will actively pursue it

Indeed it may be the way Starmer buys off the SNP and LDs to get a functional NOM govt

Rejoining would be the 21st century answer to the Restoration of 1660. Discuss.
    Well, we've had the plague. When do you expect London to burn to the ground?
    How soon can you set light to it?
    That would be a monumental error
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Ukraine ahead.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    Sounds like Depp is winning in the trial that has kept the tabloids busy this past two weeks.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Going unnoticed on here is Tory Mp Tobias Ellwood’s push for the UK to rejoin the Single Market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/01/britain-should-rejoin-eu-single-market-ease-cost-living-crisis/

Exactly as I was discussing the other night (last night?) and I was much pooh-poohed. Yet I am right. If a Tory is gunning for this then you can be sure a Labour govt under 2nd vote Starmer will actively pursue it

Indeed it may be the way Starmer buys off the SNP and LDs to get a functional NOM govt

Most monuments we have are stone and would survive ydoethurs arson attempts
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, you can get exceptional supermarket food in the US. But you will pay through the absolute nose for it. Erewhon - here in Los Angeles - is craptacularly expensive, but they have outstanding bread, salami, cheese etc.

Bloody hell, I've just looked at some of their produce and it makes Waitrose look cheap.
    Also: NOT EVEN THAT GOOD

I confess i am geekily obsessed with charcuterie, cheese, breads, picnic fruits and veggies, and wine, but anyway, they are quite a good way of judging a food culture (at least in the west)

That insane posho LA supermarket has moderately pleasant cheese and rather average salami and it costs about five trillion dollars
    It actually has very good cheese, very good salami, and excellent fresh meat.

But it is insanely expensive. Like 3-4x the price of Tesco or Sainsbury's.
    That website is mad, the more I look at it the worse it gets. Genuinely incredible prices.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

If opposition to Boris is associated with rejoinery then I'd say that helps Boris with his backbenches.

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

Bournemouth East trending leftwards, predicted Labour gain by electoral calculus.
    Gosh. So is Bournemouth West too. When did that happen?
    If you'd asked, and I know nowt about the area. Haven't even been there, I'd have said 15 to 20 k Tory majorities.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    dixiedean said:

Ukraine ahead.

Russia TV pundits now screaming nuke Hampden now???

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, you can get exceptional supermarket food in the US. But you will pay through the absolute nose for it. Erewhon - here in Los Angeles - is craptacularly expensive, but they have outstanding bread, salami, cheese etc.

Bloody hell, I've just looked at some of their produce and it makes Waitrose look cheap.

I confess i am geekily obsessed with charcuterie, cheese, breads, picnic fruits and veggies, and wine, but anyway, they are quite a good way of judging a food culture (at least in the west)

That insane posho LA supermarket has moderately pleasant cheese and rather average salami and it costs about five trillion dollars

Wow.

I will say for Waitrose and MS they do do very good food.

I don't think it's worth the premium they charge over what I can get from other supermarkets. Because they also do some very good food. And if I want genuinely premium stuff I'll buy from a farm shop.

But to be more expensive than Waitrose and the implication being comparable to Tesco in quality? That's mad. When I was in America I thought how cheap everything was, but clearly it's changed!
    Despite @Leon's rabid ragings, Erewhon is very good. If I don't want to go all the way to an actual butcher, and I want to get a really good piece of meat, I'll go there. If I want great organic eggs, or truffle salami, or great cheese, then I'll go to Erewhon.

What I won't do is buy milk, or avocados, or bananas, or washing powder.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

We like to wallow in despair in the UK but our food is actually quite cheap, compared even to many European countries, and the variety and range of produce on offer exceptional in a highly competitive market.

We've got a lot to be thankful for.
    Yep. Plenty of supermarket choice too. At the high, middling and cheap ends, too.
    We have delivery as standard as well.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    fitalass said:

Twitter - John Stevens@johnestevens
    🚨 Sir Graham Brady just seen walking out of Parliament… does this mean the 54 letter are in or does it indicate absolutely nothing?

Hi Fitalass. Is Johnson as much of a problem for the Scottish Tories as we're led to believe?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Didn't save St Paul's or Baynard's Castle in 1666.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,785
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Sturgeon's woes with the railways

The train drivers' union Aslef has rejected the latest 4.2% pay deal from ScotRail. The union's national executive said it would ballot for industrial action unless ScotRail offered further talks.
    Many drivers have been refusing to work overtime or on rest days during the pay dispute.
    The driver shortage has led to the now-nationalised train operator cutting a third of services under a temporary timetable.

Transport Scotland said it was disappointed that Aslef had rejected a deal which it described as "both fair and affordable".

Scotland's Transport Minister Jenny Gilruth had said earlier this week she was hopeful the 4.2% pay offer would resolve the dispute. However, it was turned down by a meeting of Aslef's national executive committee on Wednesday.

Scottish organiser Kevin Lindsay said: "Aslef wants to negotiate a fair deal for our members, we are once again calling on ScotRail to return to the talks, so we can negotiate a fair pay offer that we can put to our members."

ScotRail introduced an emergency timetable last month to give customers a degree of certainty about services after being hit by numerous cancellations.

But the timetable involved almost 700 fewer services a day, with many later trains no longer running.

I look forward to you personally blaming Boris Johnson for the rail strikes in England, some of which involve also nationalised operators (and Railtrack of course).
    Railtrack?!!!
    Quite: cerebral eructation: I meant Network Rail. Apologies.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,270

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Wow.

I don't think it's worth the premium they charge over what I can get from other supermarkets. Because they also do some very good food. And if I want genuinely premium stuff I'll buy from a farm shop.

But to be more expensive than Waitrose and the implication being comparable to Tesco in quality? That's mad. When I was in America I thought how cheap everything was, but clearly it's changed!
    Isn't part of this just the weakness of Sterling? If we were still getting $1.80 for every £1 then the prices in American shops wouldn't look as high as they do at the moment?

It's a measure of how much poorer we've become as a result of the weakness of the currency.
    But, Sterling is an automatic stabiliser.

If it weakens in value it makes our exports more competitive and makes us a more attractive investment destination and thus staves off recession.
    Yes, in the short term it's useful as you say. But in the long-term it reflects a weakness in the economy.

If we keep on devaluing the currency to be able to sell our exports that's a sign that our competitiveness is declining and we can only compete by cutting the value of our pay by devaluing the currency it's paid in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Wow.

Despite @Leon's rabid ragings, Erewhon is very good. If I don't want to go all the way to an actual butcher, and I want to get a really good piece of meat, I'll go there. If I want great organic eggs, or truffle salami, or great cheese, then I'll go to Erewhon.

What I won't do is buy milk, or avocados, or bananas, or washing powder.
    Cos you can't then afford them?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Is that you confessing to being guilty for that fire too? Are you a vampire?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited June 2022
    Roger said:

fitalass said:

🚨 Sir Graham Brady just seen walking out of Parliament… does this mean the 54 letter are in or does it indicate absolutely nothing?

Hi Fitalass. Is Johnson as much of a problem for the Scottish Tories as we're led to believe?
    Hes so toxic now you can ignore local, regional and national impact. Its all bad, all the time
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Roger said:

fitalass said:

Hi Roger, yes, Boris is absolutely politically toxic for the SCons.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Johnny Depp wins his defamation case.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

The train drivers' union Aslef has rejected the latest 4.2% pay deal from ScotRail. The union's national executive said it would ballot for industrial action unless ScotRail offered further talks.
    Many drivers have been refusing to work overtime or on rest days during the pay dispute.
    The driver shortage has led to the now-nationalised train operator cutting a third of services under a temporary timetable.

Transport Scotland said it was disappointed that Aslef had rejected a deal which it described as "both fair and affordable".

Scotland's Transport Minister Jenny Gilruth had said earlier this week she was hopeful the 4.2% pay offer would resolve the dispute. However, it was turned down by a meeting of Aslef's national executive committee on Wednesday.

Scottish organiser Kevin Lindsay said: "Aslef wants to negotiate a fair deal for our members, we are once again calling on ScotRail to return to the talks, so we can negotiate a fair pay offer that we can put to our members."

ScotRail introduced an emergency timetable last month to give customers a degree of certainty about services after being hit by numerous cancellations.

But the timetable involved almost 700 fewer services a day, with many later trains no longer running.

The SNP won 48 seats at the last UK General Election.

What do we think about next time - higher or lower?
    Much lower as Scottish voters hand the SNP Gov at Holyrood a very negative midterm report card.. The SNP failures/scandals have been piling up in a holding pattern for the last year, now its all starting to unravel as we move on from the Covid pandemic. The ferry scandal was finally cutting through, but the impact of the Scotrail chaos has been immediate across the country with no sign of it improving anytime soon.
    The Scottish electorate is not noted for delivering negative reports of the performance of the SNP. I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

I reckon there's a good chance they make fifty again next time. Cumulative effect of continuing Labour weakness with its old core vote, and Ross wrecking his credibility through his vacillation over Boris Johnson.
    It will come down to getting the vote out. That will prove the SNPs biggest challenge after running the shop since 2007 up there and a lot will hang on where any referendum proposal is at. If no referendum has been achieved, nationalist turnout will drop off, they wont be able to campaign on a 'give us all the seats and we give you a referendum' style ticket again.
    That being said, labours recovery will be limited but visible i think and the Tories will struggle compared to 17 and 19, probably retreating from their comparative upturn in central areas etc under Ruth and they are in full retreat in Edinburgh. They might cobble together 20 or 21% if Boris goes.
    I can see something like 40 SNP 28 Lab 20 Tory. Labour gaining back 4 or 5, Tories holding borders plus a couple in the NE, LDs holding the northern islands, maybe Caithness, SNP get the rest although i think Ayrshire will be very interesting.
    I think the LDs hold O&S, Edinburgh West and (probably) North East Fife. I doubt they'll hold on to the successor of the Caithness seat. Indeed, I doubt they'll even be particularly close.
    I think NE Fife is SNP, edinburgh W yeah they may keep that, i find Edinburgh very hard to predict though.
    Initial thoughts only, and ive been struggling with fatigue all day so my spider senses may be a bit off
    The LDs absolutely smashed it out the park in Edinburgh at the locals, grabbing a bunch of seats. Although Christine Jardine is a very average MP, Edinburgh West is becoming the biggest LD stronghold in Scotland.

NE Fife is a harder call (not least because the student population of St Andrews completely changes every four years), but the LDs did pretty well in the locals this year as well. In St Andrews itself, they managed to get position 1 and 2 in the STV voting. So, sure, the LDs will be reliant on tactical voting (and English students) to see their MP re-elected. But I think it's a better than 50% shot for them.

(In Fife - admittedly the whole council area - the LDs almost doubled their number of councillors in 2022, which is pretty impressive for a PR election.)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Is that you confessing to being guilty for that fire too? Are you a vampire?
    Don't be silly. Vampires wouldn't like the weather in Wales. It's dragons that live...oh, FFS.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

You know where hasn’t attracted many migrants? Scotland.

Some of the consequences of that may be seen in the latest SNP budget.

It's actually a big problem. Scotland's demographic profile is pretty bleak. And Scot Nattery doesn't help as it definitely puts off investors worried about potential loss of access to UK market.
    I haven't looked through all the replies, but I posed the question earlier: what's the net non-rUK immigration rate to Scotland, and how does it compare to the overall UK rate?

The figures I found were:
    20,000 to Scotland (population 5.45 million)
    239,000 to UK (population 65 million)

Those rates are exactly the same.

Have I got my numbers wrong? Or is the idea that immigrants don't come to Scotland a lie?
    I think London & SE skews the figs somewhat; I believe eg Glasgow and Newcastle's non UK born residents are similar. It's a problem for sure though. Unionists would rather bore on about how crap Scotland is as a destination than give 'the most powerful devolved administration in the world' a modicum of control over immigration.
    Is the most powerful devolved administration in the world a genuine tagline?
    Apologies, on checking it was one of the most powerful devolved administrations in the world, author one David Cameron.

Edit: though the Tele reports in another speech he said "In Scotland our plans are to create the strongest devolved government anywhere in the world, with important powers over taxation."
    I know what you're thinking: did he hold two referendums or only one?
    'Devolved' is, of course, a weasel word. Another rabid Unionist said that 'Power devolved is power retained'.
  • Options

So where's the decider going to be held?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,303

Roger said:

fitalass said:

Hes so toxic now you can ignore local, regional and national impact. Its all bad, all the time
    83% disapproval rate should scare conservative mps and show him the doorn next week
  • Options

Roger said:

fitalass said:

83% disapproval rate should scare conservative mps and show him the doorn next week
    But it's Scotland with only 5 MPs, sorry 5 Tory MPs, so it doesn't count.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I look forward to you personally blaming Boris Johnson for the rail strikes in England, some of which involve also nationalised operators (and Railtrack of course).
    Railtrack?!!!
    Quite: cerebral eructation: I meant Network Rail. Apologies.
    Fairly soon of course to be Great British Railways.

Which has somehow so far given the impression of being an even worse mess than the current one!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Roger said:

fitalass said:

I will second that.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

Much lower as Scottish voters hand the SNP Gov at Holyrood a very negative midterm report card.. The SNP failures/scandals have been piling up in a holding pattern for the last year, now its all starting to unravel as we move on from the Covid pandemic. The ferry scandal was finally cutting through, but the impact of the Scotrail chaos has been immediate across the country with no sign of it improving anytime soon.
    The Scottish electorate is not noted for delivering negative reports of the performance of the SNP. I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

I reckon there's a good chance they make fifty again next time. Cumulative effect of continuing Labour weakness with its old core vote, and Ross wrecking his credibility through his vacillation over Boris Johnson.
    It will come down to getting the vote out. That will prove the SNPs biggest challenge after running the shop since 2007 up there and a lot will hang on where any referendum proposal is at. If no referendum has been achieved, nationalist turnout will drop off, they wont be able to campaign on a 'give us all the seats and we give you a referendum' style ticket again.
    That being said, labours recovery will be limited but visible i think and the Tories will struggle compared to 17 and 19, probably retreating from their comparative upturn in central areas etc under Ruth and they are in full retreat in Edinburgh. They might cobble together 20 or 21% if Boris goes.
    I can see something like 40 SNP 28 Lab 20 Tory. Labour gaining back 4 or 5, Tories holding borders plus a couple in the NE, LDs holding the northern islands, maybe Caithness, SNP get the rest although i think Ayrshire will be very interesting.
    I think the LDs hold O&S, Edinburgh West and (probably) North East Fife. I doubt they'll hold on to the successor of the Caithness seat. Indeed, I doubt they'll even be particularly close.
    I think NE Fife is SNP, edinburgh W yeah they may keep that, i find Edinburgh very hard to predict though.
    Initial thoughts only, and ive been struggling with fatigue all day so my spider senses may be a bit off
    The LDs absolutely smashed it out the park in Edinburgh at the locals, grabbing a bunch of seats. Although Christine Jardine is a very average MP, Edinburgh West is becoming the biggest LD stronghold in Scotland.

NE Fife is a harder call (not least because the student population of St Andrews completely changes every four years), but the LDs did pretty well in the locals this year as well. In St Andrews itself, they managed to get position 1 and 2 in the STV voting. So, sure, the LDs will be reliant on tactical voting (and English students) to see their MP re-elected. But I think it's a better than 50% shot for them.
    Fairy nuff.
    Im planning on looking at it all again once the Boris situation resolves and whether that impacts the unionist splits. I've also exceeded my limit in looking at Electoral Calcs seat changes so thats impacting my ability to play with ideas. Harumph.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I meant Monumental error
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I meant Monumental error
    Your Fleet effort didn't save you.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Johnny Depp wins. No surprise there
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

Unless Douglas does a double reverse ferret with pike then zero effect.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    For more data on food prices in the US, here's the weekly ad for a local chain, which is somewhat more expensive than Fred Meyer's (although both are subsidiaries of Kroger): https://www.qfc.com/weeklyad

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

It speaks to a wider issue especially with Wales much the same that he has to go
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

I'm losing count with his changes - almost as bad as keeping up with Slab leaders.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I meant Monumental error
    Hmmm you say that but.....

most companies would go on as they are geared up to homeworking due to covid

Insurance payouts for burnt property would give a fiscal stimulus directly into the econonmy

Levelling up would happen as people worked from home as spent money in their home community

All those russian assets in london would become charred ash and the insurance payouts blocked by sanctions

It would in otherwords have some upsides
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

Fairy nuff.
    Im planning on looking at it all again once the Boris situation resolves and whether that impacts the unionist splits. I've also exceeded my limit in looking at Electoral Calcs seat changes so thats impacting my ability to play with ideas. Harumph.
    Electoral calculus currently has it as 53% chance SNP gain, 47% chance LD hold. I'd probably spin those around.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I meant Monumental error

Insurance payouts for burnt property would give a fiscal stimulus directly into the econonmy

Levelling up would happen as people worked from home as spent money in their home community

All those russian assets in london would become charred ash and the insurance payouts blocked by sanctions

Plus we could rebuild London properly, unlike Charles II's rather feeble efforts.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Roger said:

"This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!"
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

I think the LibDem MP for NE Fife, Wendy Chamberlain, is quite highly regarded. I imagine she'll be actively digging herself in. So long as they can suppress Tory vote think they would be OK.
  • Options
    Will Depp winning the case effect the culture wars at all or do people think it'll pretty much have no impact?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Roger said:

None, once her legal team chose not to cross-examine him.
  • Options

Will Depp winning the case effect the culture wars at all or do people think it'll pretty much have no impact?

Since facts have no relevance whatsoever to either side in the culture war, it will have zero impact.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

I'm losing count with his changes - almost as bad as keeping up with Slab leaders.
    Reversing his position was a big mistake. This 'not in wartime' garbage is a cop out. He reversed because the numbers he expected up front werent there and he panicked. He looks weak when he had, briefly, looked principled and taking a stand and a lead. That just makes his current weakness, well, weaker.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,239

I honestly have no idea what has gone on here. Rich people able to sue each other for telling lies about the other one as they divorce. meh.
  • Options

From what I read, neither party came out looking like super nice people. Don't think it will have much impact on anything else, except Mr Depp's career may restart better than hers.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Half-time

Ukrainian forces capture Hampden Park.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

Fairy nuff.
    Electoral calculus currently has it as 53% chance SNP gain, 47% chance LD hold. I'd probably spin those around.
    Ah ok thank you. In my head i'd been thinking about 60/40 SNP/LD so will look again once fallout from Boris has occured.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Incidentally on the subject of railways, the new headquarters of Great British Railways (OK, I'm back and I didn't puke too much) is being decided. The first part of the process is shortlisting the likely spots, which is announced in the next 2-3 weeks.

Could be some value in the following being on it:

Crewe
    Darlington
    Derby
    Swindon
    York

It does depend a bit on what the government want to achieve and what they hope to announce.

Personally, I would have said the obvious place for any railway based HQ is Crewe. But that means it probably won't get it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Or Notre Dame rather more recently.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

It speaks to a wider issue especially with Wales much the same that he has to go
    I was looking at the new boundaries in Wales before i ran out of free looks with EC. The Tories might have a big big problem winning much at all in the new 32.
  • Options
    Two for Ukraine.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

I meant Monumental error

Plus we could rebuild London properly, unlike Charles II's rather feeble efforts.
    We had the chance to do that in 1945. Look how well that worked out.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

If opposition to Boris is associated with rejoinery then I'd say that helps Boris with his backbenches.

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

Bournemouth East trending leftwards, predicted Labour gain by electoral calculus.
    If you'd asked, and I know nowt about the area. Haven't even been there, I'd have said 15 to 20 k Tory majorities.
    It's probably associated in the minds of many with well-to-do old people, but actually Bournemouth is, as best I can make out, a city of about 200,000 people which is only middling economically and has a substantial student population. It's not nearly as Tory friendly as, for example, neighbouring Christchurch (which was one of only two Conservative gains in the 1997 General Election, and the only one not recaptured from a defector.)

Ellwood has a majority of just under 9,000 and his seat is listed as Labour target 106 with a 9% swing needed to capture. Assuming UNS, if his unseating were Labour's high water mark it would get them well into largest party territory, though still about 30 short of a majority.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Leon said:

Rejoin is for the moment not going to occur. But completely consistent with the Brexit decision is a sane two stage process, which should have occurred post 2016, namely that the UK joins EFTA and the EU agrees at the same time to allow derogation from FOM in exactly the same sort of move as allowed a permanent opt out from the Euro.

If parliament and the EU had both acted sensibly after 2016 the populists and extremists of all colours would have been all side lined, Brexit would have been honoured and the world would still be spinning round. Yes, there would still be a debate going on. That's democracy.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Wow.

Tesco Finest is often better than Waitrose in my experience.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Lol

Scotland 0-2 Ukraine
  • Options
    Looks like we'll be spared a repeat of the failure to beat Iran.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Can someone explain in two sentences or less why Johnny Depp lost in London but has won in America?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Or Notre Dame rather more recently.
    Well, actually it did. If the ceiling hadn't been stone, the whole lot could have gone, instead of just the roof.

But - that was a fire *in* the roof. Not one coming at it from all directions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally on the subject of railways, the new headquarters of Great British Railways (OK, I'm back and I didn't puke too much) is being decided. The first part of the process is shortlisting the likely spots, which is announced in the next 2-3 weeks.

Crewe
    Darlington
    Derby
    Swindon
    York

It does depend a bit on what the government want to achieve and what they hope to announce.

Personally, I would have said the obvious place for any railway based HQ is Crewe. But that means it probably won't get it.

The obvious place is Birmingham, which *should* be the UK’s logistics capital.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited June 2022

Yes.

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1532081904601669632
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Scotland are terrible.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Crewe
    Darlington
    Derby
    Swindon
    York

Both Rugby and Stafford would have better claims than Birmingham. And I don't think either should be listed ahead of those five.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited June 2022

ydoethur said:

Crewe
    Darlington
    Derby
    Swindon
    York

Won’t be Darlington - we already for treasury north.

However, if GBR wants to get money it would make since to ignore the advice and head there

York already has a number of Network Rail people there so would make sense.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Wow.

Waitrose ready meals are very bland for some reason.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

It's probably associated in the minds of many with well-to-do old people, but actually Bournemouth is, as best I can make out, a city of about 200,000 people which is only middling economically and has a substantial student population. It's not nearly as Tory friendly as, for example, neighbouring Christchurch (which was one of only two Conservative gains in the 1997 General Election, and the only one not recaptured from a defector.)

Ellwood has a majority of just under 9,000 and his seat is listed as Labour target 106 with a 9% swing needed to capture. Assuming UNS, if his unseating were Labour's high water mark it would get them well into largest party territory, though still about 30 short of a majority.
    A lot of the south coast is moving quite quickly to Labour, for some reason. Worthing is the classic (from 0 seats to control in a few years), but Portsmouth, Southampton and as you say Bournemouth fit the pattern, and Brighton and Hove would too if there wasn't a more left-wing alternative.

I'm not sure why. They don't all have big universities!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

I was looking at the new boundaries in Wales before i ran out of free looks with EC. The Tories might have a big big problem winning much at all in the new 32.
    That doesn't last long btw.
    Not sure exactly how long. But days not months.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Wow.

What "experience" was this?

Did you have Covid at the time?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

More interesting is Vardy v Rooney, where it is outstandingly obvious who should win on the merits but less obvious by what evidential route the judge will get to the destination.

• Options
    Ukraine playing Scotland off the park at present
  • Options

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

A lot of the south coast is moving quite quickly to Labour, for some reason. Worthing is the classic (from 0 seats to control in a few years), but Portsmouth, Southampton and as you say Bournemouth fit the pattern, and Brighton and Hove would too if there wasn't a more left-wing alternative.

Brexit effects on ferries and trade? But that doesn't fit either so far as I am aware.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426

Pulpstar said:

Watching Top Gun, first time my other half has seen it :D

nearly 40 years ago now. I wasn’t around in the eighties. Did all the Homo Eroticism cause a stir?

Must have been groundbreaking Gay Film for it’s time. Top Gun still a bit of a ground breaking Gay film today.
    There were quite a few jokes at the time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Crewe
    Darlington
    Derby
    Swindon
    York

Both Rugby and Stafford would have better claims than Birmingham. And I don't think either should be listed ahead of those five.
    I think Derby makes the most sense.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,196
    2-0 🇺🇦 👍
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Wasn't St Paul's covered in wooden scaffolding at the time?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

More interesting is Vardy v Rooney, where it is outstandingly obvious who should win on the merits but less obvious by what evidential route the judge will get to the destination.

Given the way the judge in the pretrial hearing interpreted the law, which to put it mildly was counter-intuitive, I'm intrigued as to how you think the answer can be obvious.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Wasn't St Paul's covered in wooden scaffolding at the time?
    And was literally full of books.
  • Options

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

I wonder if Cumbria on the new boundaries could go from Tories 5, LD1 to a Lab/LD clean sweep next time.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

Yes. They are pretty dire with even a moderate swing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    ydoethur said:

Since facts have no relevance whatsoever to either side in the culture war, it will have zero impact.
    Well..

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1532081904601669632?s=20&t=fW2lfL87JTwX3oIY58bFTg
  • Options

Can someone explain in two sentences or less why Johnny Depp lost in London but has won in America?

Preparation. He didn't prepare in London and was slaughtered.

In the US, he was massively (and brilliantly) prepped by a team of lawyers and PR people. Every facial expression, every gesture, every off the cuff remark was tested and honed.

Heard, on the other hand, was complacent. She thought that it would be a repeat of the London trial. Which is an extremely expensive error for her - both in terms of damage to her reputation, damage to her bank balance and damage to her prospects.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

Even Monmouth gets a fat chunk of Newport. They might hold Montgomery and Brecon and Preseli looks better than Monmouth now but the rest..... nah
  • Options
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

Yeah. Don't think I've ever been to Dorset.
    Folk just have stereotypes about places.
    I was astonished at the makeup of Tunbridge Wells council too.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

Central Bournemouth has a young population nowadays, and age is a great predictor of voting.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

fitalass said:

Even Monmouth gets a fat chunk of Newport. They might hold Montgomery and Brecon and Preseli looks better than Monmouth now but the rest..... nah
    Newport is trending Tory, more so now the tolls on the Severn Bridge have been abolished. Both seats were only narrow holds for Labour last time.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

Baxter concurs. He gives the SLDs a 19% chance of winning the new Highland North seat.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In the US, he was massively (and brilliantly) prepped by a team of lawyers and PR people. Every facial expression, every gesture, every off the cuff remark was tested and honed.

Heard, on the other hand, was complacent. She thought that it would be a repeat of the London trial. Which is an extremely expensive error for her - both in terms of damage to her reputation, damage to her bank balance and damage to her prospects.
    Guess it's fortunate she didn't donate that $7 million after all.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

fitalass said:

pigeon said:

Baxter concurs. He gives the SLDs a 19% chance of winning the new Highland North seat.
    I think even 19% is pushing it; I wouldn't be surprised to see the LDs 20% behind there. (And I'm quite fond of old Jamie. Or maybe that's just by comparison to his colleagues.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

Central Bournemouth has a young population nowadays, and age is a great predictor of voting.

Is that other young hotspot not Bovington Camp near Wool?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @dixiedean - you’ve never been to Dorset? I reckon the biggest town/city in Britain that I’ve never been to is Bristol (I’ve stood on Temple Meads station during a locomotive change, but that doesn’t count).

As for counties, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Herefordshire and I don’t know Shropshire (been through it on the train).
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

At risk of sounding cynical, 36 year old actresses in Hollywood who have no particular talent for acting (and rather a lot who do) have few prospects anyway.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    LOL

Cutting through Scotland like they're a Russian armoured convoy that took a wrong turn.

https://twitter.com/DavidDPaxton/status/1532089064937209858

and more LOLS

The National tomorrow: 'Scotland's World Cup dream dashed by Westminster-funded Ukraine'.

https://twitter.com/trivet1806/status/1532090494087577600
  • Options
    Have we noted the Met's latest diplomatic triumph?
    Though they seem to have let Kate Middleton get away with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/01/sarah-everard-vigil-met-to-prosecute-six-for-allegedly-breaching-covid-rules
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No costs award in US cases usually so it's just the 15m.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,460

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Poor move by Ellwood.
    Looks at constituency.

London effect?

Brighton has looked towards the capital for ages- in particular, the funky lefty version not the city. After all, it's close and on a (by south east standards) super whizzy train line.

Now Brighton is unaffordable, the same demographic is moving out- either to nearby Worthing, or similar but less convenient south coast resort cities, like Portsmouth (especially the Southsea end) or Bournemouth.

As with some Conservative gains in the north, that Brecht line about politicians choosing a new electorate is kind of coming true.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@dixiedean - you’ve never been to Dorset? I reckon the biggest town/city in Britain that I’ve never been to is Bristol (I’ve stood on Temple Meads station during a locomotive change, but that doesn’t count).

If you set foot on the platform, it DOES count!
This discussion has been closed.