Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » MEMO to CON MPs who think that an EU referendum is the magi

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Interesting poll. Farage also comes a close second to Cameron with Ipsos Mori (35% to 39%).

I think that May 22nd will turn out very well for UKIP.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    RodCrosby said:

Apparently, the "rules" say a LibDem Lord's whip can't be removed without ratification by his fellow-peers.

And the word is - they won't ratify.

Spot the politicians who dont rely on votes for their position in parliament.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Yet another tramadol poll.
    He,he. UKIP continues it's upward march, and the election season hasn't even started yet.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Sean_F said:

As you correctly pointed out, the law on this issue is intellectually incoherent. It was unlawful for the Bulls to deny a double bed to an unmarried gay couple; but it is lawful for Hamilton Hall in Bournemouth to deny a double bed to a heterosexual couple.

It may well be the case, if the courts apply the ratio of Bull v Hall to its full extent, that even after the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2014 enters into force, it will remain unlawful to refuse an unmarried homosexual couple a double room, but lawful to refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple a double room.
    Bonkers lol.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

I havent read the opinion and I didnt listen to the interview. I find Farron's statement (which was surely seen in advance by Webster given that it was released with his) bizarre if Webster had indeed found that. If that is the case then the Lib Dems have done a much better hatchet job against Rennard than I originally gave them credit for (as I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been left with this impression when the story first came out).

As Alex Carlile points out, the LibDem's resort to secret justice is at odds with party policy, or at least until they voted for the Justice and Security Act 2013!
  • Options
    UKIP with a bit of luck and a following wind could get 1/2 the vote % that Labour gets, but 1/300ths of the seats.

Or less !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Baxtering:

Con 245
    Lab 356
    Lib Dem 21
    UKIP 0

Although I think UKIP will get some seats on 19%.
    Baxtering = rubbish in the new 4 party system.
    'Course it may revert to 3 parties if the Lib/dems are demolished in enough seats.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    Dr Sox

I have definitely been enthused by Ed's championing of consumers in their battles with mega-monopolies.

I am just this moment writing to Brewers Green to suggest that Labour's banking and energy restructuring policies are next applied to the Fire Service.

Competing privatised Fire Stations with payment being made to the company who first arrives on scene would definitely improve customer service and help with the cost of living crisis.

If Ed were to go with my idea it would have the added bonus of making Labour appear less allied to the big unions and producer interests.

I was rather taken by your idea of expanding Milibands Idea of breaking up banks, to breaking up the NHS by selling off branches to private companies.

Except that it does sound rather too Blairite for Miliband Junior. The wheel turns full circle.

AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Time to split Labour up and create two new challenger parties, compouter.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Baxtering:

Con 245
    Lab 356
    Lib Dem 21
    UKIP 0

'Course it may revert to 3 parties if the Lib/dems are demolished in enough seats.
    That is yet to be seen, UKIP's stronghold in the East is not reflected though.

A poor result in Sale and Wythenshawe could be a good one as it will indicate uneven distribution of vote...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,083

Carnyx said:

If Scotland votes for independence, will its government confiscate the estates of English landowners? The SNP is talking about a tenants’ “right to buy” – three such innocuous little words! – even if the landowners don’t want to sell. As my colleague Charles Moore pointed out in The Spectator, “one great independence leader who played this issue politically was Robert Mugabe”.

Cue shrieks from cybernats, the digital wing of the SNP, masters of coordinated outrage.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100255404/alex-salmond-the-snp-and-fascist-scotland/

Coordinated? Like the identical news reports on different newspapers issued by Better Together?

As for the reaction - it's more boredom and resignation that we get this nonsense all over again, like Scotland on Sunday digitally airbrushing a swastika onto a photo of some unfortunate Scots with a Saltire flag. The SNP is a very strange fascist party - bang in the middle of the political midstream and with a fair proportion of incomers from England. For heaven's sake, if anyone was a fascist around here it was the Unionist MP who got banged up in prison during WW2. I don't know why I amk bothering to write this, anyway, except that I'm sitting waiting for the chicken stew to cook ...

The right to buy would not be not anti-English, anyway, unless this DT writer is falling into the assumption that all land in Scotland is owned by the southerners. And I don't recall the DT being against right to buy when it was applied to Labout council property.

Carnyx, I'm sure some of your best friends are English.

Oh, they are. One was talking only the other day about the implications of the indy referendum and about UKIP. But what on earth does that have to do with it? We're not a bunch of xenophobic maniacs.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

As you correctly pointed out, the law on this issue is intellectually incoherent. It was unlawful for the Bulls to deny a double bed to an unmarried gay couple; but it is lawful for Hamilton Hall in Bournemouth to deny a double bed to a heterosexual couple.

It may well be the case, if the courts apply the ratio of Bull v Hall to its full extent, that even after the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2014 enters into force, it will remain unlawful to refuse an unmarried homosexual couple a double room, but lawful to refuse an unmarried heterosexual couple a double room.
    Bonkers lol.
    There are hotels that market themselves as "gay only" (as opposed to "gay friendly"). Provided they are single-sex hotels, they can lawfully deny accommodation to heterosexual couples.

This is very much a small niche in the market, but then so was the Bulls' establishment.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Looks like it's the only chance this side of 2020 that I will be able to get rid of your polling crossover goalposts. You still haven't told me you want me to place them in the future..... for future removal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Baxtering:

Con 245
    Lab 356
    Lib Dem 21
    UKIP 0

That is yet to be seen, UKIP's stronghold in the East is not reflected though.

A poor result in Sale and Wythenshawe could be a good one as it will indicate uneven distribution of vote...
    A poor result for whom?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Meh. Beware of people selling their books, their shares or their polls.
  • Options

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Well said.
  • Options

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

The fact that Rentatool didn't go overboard on it should have told people that the headline figure wasn't going to be bad for Labour.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think it a good one, but I am sure that giving autonomy to different military regiments would be a logical extension. Regiments having a quiet time after the ends of mideast wars could let off steam by hiring themselves out as guns for hire.

English mercenaries were once very feared in Tuscany, so there is precedent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hawkwood

And with the reintroduction of privateering and Admiralty Prize Money, our Navy could soon show those Somali amateurs how it is done!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prize_money
    AveryLP said:

Dr Sox

I have definitely been enthused by Ed's championing of consumers in their battles with mega-monopolies.

I am just this moment writing to Brewers Green to suggest that Labour's banking and energy restructuring policies are next applied to the Fire Service.

Competing privatised Fire Stations with payment being made to the company who first arrives on scene would definitely improve customer service and help with the cost of living crisis.

If Ed were to go with my idea it would have the added bonus of making Labour appear less allied to the big unions and producer interests.

I was rather taken by your idea of expanding Milibands Idea of breaking up banks, to breaking up the NHS by selling off branches to private companies.

Except that it does sound rather too Blairite for Miliband Junior. The wheel turns full circle.

AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,218
    Off-topic:

I can't remember it being discussed on here, but we've just come back from seeing "The Duck House" at the Vaudeville Theatre. For those who don't know, it's a farce based on the expenses scandal in 2009, with a Labour MP (Ben Miller) wanting to move over to the Conservatives just as the scandal breaks. The only problem is that he's bought just about everything in his house on expenses (including the eponymous duck house), and he has to impress a Conservative bigwig who is coming to visit.

It was very, very funny if you like farces; real put-brain-into-neutral-and-laugh stuff. MPs and politics don't come too well out of it, though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,083
    edited January 2014
    You'd need to reintroduce the purchase system for the army (but not navy) officers. The existing Ruperts might beel a bit aggrieved if they had to buy their current posts! Not sure about the RAF ...

http://www.sfu.ca/~allen/army.pdf

I think it a good one, but I am sure that giving autonomy to different military regiments would be a logical extension. Regiments having a quiet time after the ends of mideast wars could let off steam by hiring themselves out as guns for hire.

And with the reintroduction of privateering and Admiralty Prize Money, our Navy could soon show those Somali amateurs how it is done!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prize_money

AveryLP said:

Dr Sox

AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and I have to say some journalists must drop their marmalade very easily. Nothing terribly exciting about this poll. I wonder if we will get crossover between Ed and Nick for 4th place in the popularity stakes. It would be interesting if the Leader of the Opposition goes into the General Election campaign as least popular leader. If Labour wins in such circumstances, that would be truly noteworthy if somewhat disastrous for most of us.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921

Off-topic:

I can't remember it being discussed on here, but we've just come back from seeing "The Duck House" at the Vaudeville Theatre. For those who don't know, it's a farce based on the expenses scandal in 2009, with a Labour MP (Ben Miller) wanting to move over to the Conservatives just as the scandal breaks. The only problem is that he's bought just about everything in his house on expenses (including the eponymous duck house), and he has to impress a Conservative bigwig who is coming to visit.

It was very, very funny if you like farces; real put-brain-into-neutral-and-laugh stuff. MPs and politics don't come too well out of it, though.

Mrs Stodge and I went on Tuesday evening and to be honest I thought it was patchy at best full of clichés and the farce was fairly average. Once you got past the basic premise there was very little to it in truth and if you want to do is laugh at hapless politicians fine but I'd like to have had a shade more depth.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Baroness/Jenny Tonge counts as someone without the Lib Dem whip but still a member of the Lib Dems as a member doesn't she?

Jenny Tongue resigned the whip and sits as an independent Liberal Democrat, and remains a member of the party.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,218
    stodge said:

Off-topic:

Mrs Stodge and I went on Tuesday evening and to be honest I thought it was patchy at best full of clichés and the farce was fairly average. Once you got past the basic premise there was very little to it in truth and if you want to do is laugh at hapless politicians fine but I'd like to have had a shade more depth.
    Yep, fair comments; a big problem is that the second half was certainly weaker than the first. But we laughed much more than I expected to, especially in the first half, and the clichés didn't grate too much for me. Mrs J loved it, but then she's been exposed to less of this sort of stuff (although Turkish politics makes ours look positively sane and sensible).

It won't be a classic, but I didn't begrudge the money or time, either.
  • Options
    @Dr Sox
    I am sure that giving autonomy to different military regiments would be a logical extension. Regiments having a quiet time after the ends of mideast wars could let off steam by hiring themselves out as guns for hire.

Italian cities concentrated on trade and hired mercenaries instead of forming standing armies. Hawkwood often played his employers and their enemies against each other. He might get a contract to fight on one side and then demand a payment from the other in order not to attack them. He also could just change sides, keeping his original payment. Sometimes one party hired him so that he would not work for their enemies.

You and Ed Miliband are on to a winner here, Dr. Sox.

Can you not take your salary from the NHS and then demand a payment from your patients to assure a successful operation?

A free competitive private sector market really is the answer to all our ills.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

Looks like it's the only chance this side of 2020 that I will be able to get rid of your polling crossover goalposts. You still haven't told me you want me to place them in the future..... for future removal.
    I am too worried about the impact Labour being on 35% is having on the cost of living crisis to have time to answer your question, compouter.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921

stodge said:

Off-topic:

Yep, fair comments; a big problem is that the second half was certainly weaker than the first. But we laughed much more than I expected to, especially in the first half, and the clichés didn't grate too much for me. Mrs J loved it, but then she's been exposed to less of this sort of stuff (although Turkish politics makes ours look positively sane and sensible).

It won't be a classic, but I didn't begrudge the money or time, either.
    Oddly enough, my friend, Mrs Stodge loved it and your comments about Mrs J would apply to her as well. I thought if it had been a shade less manic and a shade more insightful it would have worked better for me.

I didn't begrudge the money either but then Mrs Stodge paid for the tickets.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

ComRes VI

Voting intention:

Con 30% +1
    Lab 35% -1
    LibDem 8% ±0
    UKIP 19% +1
    Other 8% -1

I am too worried about the impact Labour being on 35% is having on the cost of living crisis to have time to answer your question, compouter.

I see Daves 30% campaign is going really well, however, he must keep an eye on the purples or he may get stuck in the twenties.
This discussion has been closed.