Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We have a by election in Wakefield – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2022 in General
We have a by election in Wakefield – politicalbetting.com

pic.twitter.com/RBtTJjGFVT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First like Labour.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited April 2022
    Likely Labour gain
    Something like:

Lab 50 (+10)
    CON 40 (-7)
    Yorkshire Party 5 (+3)
    LD 2 (-2)
    Others 3

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    third as in it doesn't matter who wins the people come third
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hard to imagine a worse context for the government to fight a by election. Disgraced MP. Disgraced PM. Disgraced Chancellor. Economy heading down the toilet. Taxes up. Costs up. NHS on its knees.

Lab gain
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    I wonder if the soon to be former MP will now appeal or just accept the verdict.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Hard to imagine a worse context for the government to fight a by election. Disgraced MP. Disgraced PM. Disgraced Chancellor. Economy heading down the toilet. Taxes up. Costs up. NHS on its knees.

Lab gain

Perhaps that doyenne of labour Ms Pidcock could run
    You have a wicked sense of mischief.
  • Options
    Is George Galloway expected to stand?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Interesting! And, without knowing anything about the case, fair enough - he didn't have to stand down and is forfeiting a chunk of salary by doing so. As TSE says, Labour will be favourites to win it.

On another subject, listening to PM, I was impressed by Yolande Mkole (sp?), the Rwandan spokeswoman - poised, fluent, mildly witty, she really didn't put a foot wrong. I don't see the programme working, and the numbers are very small (a few thousand over 5 years), but she put a spirited case for her country. What is her role, exactly? - I don't see her in the Rwandan cabinet.

By contrast, Priti Patel, broadcast earlier in the programme on the previous "push back the boats" scheme, sounded totally fake.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Resigning because he has disgraced himself

Might set a precedent
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Lab gain

Perhaps that doyenne of labour Ms Pidcock could run
    You have a wicked sense of mischief.
    Well I can only imagine are lords and masters are selected on the basis of making most of us go "really 68 million people to choose from and you put her/him/it up for electing" and that goes for all parties
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Taz said:

I wonder if the soon to be former MP will now appeal or just accept the verdict.

Maybe (re-)read the header, and you might stop wondering.
  • Options
    Taz said:

He is appealing but has resigned notwithstanding his appeal
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    The last time Labour didn't win Wakefield before 2019 was 1931.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    tlg86 said:

He would have to spend his entire life disclaiming he was a Russian fool so while it would be sensible to skip this election I suspect he will stand...

A better question is who will the Yorkshire Party candidate be?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Jonathan said:

Lab gain

FPT: It could be worse if Labour had a leader who was popular and had some policies, but probably not much.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    tlg86 said:

Without looking at the demographics, but with a bit of an impression of the seat, I'd imagine it much less promising a seat for Galloway than next door Batley & Spen ever was.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    There's going to be a "dry run" of the by-election on 5th May, because local elections are being held for Wakefield council.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Taz said:

I’m having to access via vanilla so it’s not ideal
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Jonathan said:

Lab gain

If Labour cannot win Wakefield in the current circumstances, Starmer is an even worse Labour leader than Corbyn
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    No Tory poll leads now for FOUR months and 8 days...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited April 2022
    TOPPING said:

@Dura had it right. It is just a giant elephant trap for Lab and Lab are almost sure to fall into it.

The problem with the Rwanda gimmick, or if you will the genius of it, is that it is so wrong for so many reasons. There is no one objection that people will hold onto.

* and one of the ways it is wrong is that it is meant to be an elephant trap. There is no other purpose for it.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    This will be a deeply unpleasant by-election given that the Tories are going to focus solely on culture war as they have nothing else to offer. Labour are obviously favourites, but will need to be very careful with candidate selection.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    fpt
    Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

The Rwanda gimmick consists of the UK government paying a foreign government extortionate amounts (probably billions not millions) to mistreat a small number of people so that it can make a political point.

That's all you need to know about it. There is no intention of it doing anything worthwhile apart that political point.

You object to levelling up a poorer country? While I agree in the case of our current government it is probably intended to be performative. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if done properly.
    "Levelling up" in this case is somewhat in the "Arbeit macht frei" category of spin for what is paid thuggery (at extortionate rates).

I have no objection to levelling up poorer countries. This isn't it.
    There is no reason if we had detention camps in rwanda we couldn't have them under proper supervision and insist on the same sort of conditions as they would have in a detention centre in Kent. We don't have to let Rwandans exploit them as slave labour.
    If they could be the same as the ones in Kent then why not put them up in ones in Kent.

Then deport them to Rwanda after that if that is your wish.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Taz said:

I feel a sense of unease about this.
    Everyone has come to their own conclusions about him... but what happens if he wins his appeal?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    Taz said:

Endillion said:

Taz said:

I’m having to access via vanilla so it’s not ideal
    Just follow the "Read the full story here" link on every header.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Taz said:

I feel a sense of unease about this.
    Everyone has come to their own conclusions about him... but what happens if he wins his appeal?
    He seems to have had it with politics
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

Interesting! And, without knowing anything about the case, fair enough - he didn't have to stand down and is forfeiting a chunk of salary by doing so. As TSE says, Labour will be favourites to win it.

On another subject, listening to PM, I was impressed by Yolande Mkole (sp?), the Rwandan spokeswoman - poised, fluent, mildly witty, she really didn't put a foot wrong. I don't see the programme working, and the numbers are very small (a few thousand over 5 years), but she put a spirited case for her country. What is her role, exactly? - I don't see her in the Rwandan cabinet.

By contrast, Priti Patel, broadcast earlier in the programme on the previous "push back the boats" scheme, sounded totally fake.

A few thousand people over 5 years makes sense of the £100 million-ish cost being spoken of.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense of the "stop the Channel boats" rhetoric. A few thousand people is, what, a week or two?

So who's having their leg pulled, and by who?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

@Dura had it right. It is just a giant elephant trap for Lab and Lab are almost sure to fall into it.

The problem with the Rwanda gimmick, or if you will the genius of it, is that it is so wrong for so many reasons. There is no one objection that people will hold onto.

* and one of the ways it is wrong is that it is meant to be an elephant trap. There is no other purpose for it.
    Yep.

Costs, far away, far away African country of now much-improved but previously dubious human rights record, logistics, illogicality.

Nothing that you can drop on your foot.

They appear to be about to be sent to detention centres rather than be allowed to roam free while their cases are being processed. So I continue to ask why not detain them in the UK then send them home to Rwanda.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

The Rwanda gimmick consists of the UK government paying a foreign government extortionate amounts (probably billions not millions) to mistreat a small number of people so that it can make a political point.

That's all you need to know about it. There is no intention of it doing anything worthwhile apart that political point.

You object to levelling up a poorer country? While I agree in the case of our current government it is probably intended to be performative. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if done properly.
    "Levelling up" in this case is somewhat in the "Arbeit macht frei" category of spin for what is paid thuggery (at extortionate rates).

There is no reason if we had detention camps in rwanda we couldn't have them under proper supervision and insist on the same sort of conditions as they would have in a detention centre in Kent. We don't have to let Rwandans exploit them as slave labour.
    If they could be the same as the ones in Kent then why not put them up in ones in Kent.

Because the cost for example of a detention centre worker in kent is probably 500£ a week and the cost of a detention centre worker in Rwanda is more like 50£ a week.....add on for other costs a similar reduction.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    TSE tweet absolutely correct. If LAB don't win, and win well, then it would be a shocker for LAB.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Lab gain

If Labour cannot win Wakefield in the current circumstances, Starmer is an even worse Labour leader than Corbyn
    That would only be in terms of getting votes. Corbyn is in a class of his own in terms of unsuitability to be PM but temporarily whipped up some voting enthusiasm. Hopefully some of those enthused are a bit ashamed in the light of Ukraine.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Lab gain

That would only be in terms of getting votes. Corbyn is in a class of his own in terms of unsuitability to be PM but temporarily whipped up some voting enthusiasm. Hopefully some of those enthused are a bit ashamed in the light of Ukraine.
    If lefties had shame they wouldn't march under the hammer and sickle. They don't so they do
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

A few thousand people over 5 years makes sense of the £100 million-ish cost being spoken of.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense of the "stop the Channel boats" rhetoric. A few thousand people is, what, a week or two?

The theory is that it will do what happened with Australia and their immigrant smugglers.

Dumping people on the tropical coast of Australia went out of fashion very quickly, when the ultimate destination became Nauru.

This has meant a massive reduction in the diet variety of the salt water crocs in the area, though.
  • Options
    So what odds would labour be to be value ? They will be favourites
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Should be a Lab gain but I think I'd rather have a by-election that shouldn't be. This one needs a clear win to support my new core betting assumption of Lab winning power in 24.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    Maybe the Conservative party will do itself a favour and actually pick a local candidate.
    I wonder if Labour will pick a candidate who has a fully functioning brain and the courage to meet voters and the media etc?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Maybe the Conservative party will do itself a favour and actually pick a local candidate.
    I wonder if Labour will pick a candidate who has a fully functioning brain and the courage to meet voters and the media etc?

Who will they pick though? Anthony Calvert who said unpleasant things about Mary Creagh or Khan's 2019 agent who has colourful comments history on the Vote UK forum and has also said stuff about Mary Creagh.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    I think on the Rwanda thing, if they can pull it off, even vaguely - against howls of outrage from Labour.... then the tories will be re-elected in the next GE. It is the same golden ticket as ending free movement.
  • Options

It will be interesting. SKS's strategy so far seems to be to say and do as little as possible and try to win by default. It's possible to use that macro strategy on a by-election scale, so we'll have to see if they do, and if so how effective it will be.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

It will be interesting. SKS's strategy so far seems to be to say and do as little as possible and try to win by default. It's possible to use that macro strategy on a by-election scale, so we'll have to see if they do, and if so how effective it will be.
    That strategy worked for Blair..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Well, while I don't generally approve of sexual assault, I am a big fan of by-elections. So, good on Imran Khan.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Applicant said:

That strategy worked for Blair..
    Blair at least had vision and some policies. And was popular.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.

Costs, far away, far away African country of now much-improved but previously dubious human rights record, logistics, illogicality.

They appear to be about to be sent to detention centres rather than be allowed to roam free while their cases are being processed. So I continue to ask why not detain them in the UK then send them home to Rwanda.
    She claimed not - said they would be housed in hostels or hotels while their asylum applications were considered, and that they had huge numbers of refugees (from DRC and Libya) so were used to processing them. Asked if gay people would be welcome, she said, "People - any people - will be welcome." Asked about human rights, she agreed that problems arose, but so they did in other countries, including Britain, no?

As I said, impressive. But note that she said Rwanda would be paid approximately the same amount that processing the case in Britain would cost - so we won't actually save any money (but Rwanda will make a profit). And if their applications for asylum in Rwanda fail, I wasn't clear what happens then.

The main angle for Labour to latch onto is the trivial number of cases agreed. That makes it simply an expensive gimmick.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Lab gain

Standard Red Wall presumption going on here, but on the boundaries in play now, it is more classic West Yorkshire marginal than pure red wall, despite proximity to coal fields.

My impression, mainly from occasional drive throughs and short visits.

Ossett seems a fairly working small town on driving through, Horbury is a bit nicer, West Bretton and Wakefield Rural could be any Tory shire anywhere, and the 3 (of 4) Wakefield proper wards are a mix: sizeable council estate areas West of the city, but not unremitting, a city centre high street that was a bit ragged last time I looked, but boosted by its good London connections and not, to my impression, on the sort of downswing of many Northern places of similar size.

And less than you'd expect of the small ex-mining place still bearing the scars of that decline (that's more Castleford / Normanton).

Still, Labour ought to be gaining this on current politics.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Doing it over many years has lots of advantages.

You can announce it every year (updates and tweaks can be presented as new policy) and get the desired political reaction each time as they have been doing with the navy patrolling the channel.
    At each obstacle those in favour will see it is the system, judges, and liberal elite blocking this good scheme. The medicine for the system? Boris, of course.
    You cannot be seen to have failed by the time of the GE, this is only a pilot anyway.
    You don't have to properly fund it.

It is genius, not a flaw. (Genius politically, it won't make any positive difference to the refugee issues).

Boris et al are not incompetent buffoons, just very good at the most cynical of political delivery and spin, with absolutely zero interest in improving things, either for us or refugees.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    59% of Conservative voters and 35% of voters overall back sending asylum seekers to Rwanda to have their claims processed

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1514590981085179909?s=20&t=a-lbK2bibld8KG5obH4g-g
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Who will they pick though? Anthony Calvert who said unpleasant things about Mary Creagh or Khan's 2019 agent who has colourful comments history on the Vote UK forum and has also said stuff about Mary Creagh.
    "LabourList understands that Jack Hemingway, deputy leader of Wakefield Council, is considered the frontrunner among the possible candidates that the Labour Party could pick to contest the seat if a by-election is held."

Labour List

(written a couple of weeks ago mind)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

59% of Conservative voters and 35% of voters overall back sending asylum seekers to Rwanda to have their claims processed

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1514590981085179909?s=20&t=a-lbK2bibld8KG5obH4g-g

You were elected by conservative voters....really tells us all we need to know about them
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    No doubt Rwanda will be asking for the money up front, and won't be offering any refunds.
  • Options
    Aren’t the people telling us that the Rwanda plan won’t deter channel crossing refugees the same people who told us that only 20,000 immigrants would come from Poland when we almost uniquely allowed unrestricted immigration on their accession to the EU?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Because the cost for example of a detention centre worker in kent is probably 500£ a week and the cost of a detention centre worker in Rwanda is more like 50£ a week.....add on for other costs a similar reduction.
    So it's a cost thing. Gotit.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

To what extent do you think we can "supervise" and "insist on" things in a faraway country of which we know little, short of sending Sanders of the River out there at a cost of £££ and with no effect whatever?
  • Options

No doubt Rwanda will be asking for the money up front, and won't be offering any refunds.

"Go to Rwanda. Go directly to Rwanda. Do not pass Dover. Do not collect any housing benefit."
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Ladbrokes

Labour 1/7
    Conservatives 9/2
  • Options
    Artist said:

Ladbrokes

Labour 1/7
    Conservatives 9/2

I think I’d want 4/6 on labour before I was tempted.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

To what extent do you think we can "supervise" and "insist on" things in a faraway country of which we know little, short of sending Sanders of the River out there at a cost of £££ and with no effect whatever?
    Well for a start if we are paying for them we can insist on the senior staff being uk and them having their role defined as making sure there is no abuse with spot inspections to check.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

This will be a deeply unpleasant by-election given that the Tories are going to focus solely on culture war as they have nothing else to offer. Labour are obviously favourites, but will need to be very careful with candidate selection.

Ed Balls.

Your party needs you.
    Starmer doesn't!

Get real. He would veto it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Well for a start if we are paying for them we can insist on the senior staff being uk and them having their role defined as making sure there is no abuse with spot inspections to check.
    You applying for the job?

• Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.

She claimed not - said they would be housed in hostels or hotels while their asylum applications were considered, and that they had huge numbers of refugees (from DRC and Libya) so were used to processing them. Asked if gay people would be welcome, she said, "People - any people - will be welcome." Asked about human rights, she agreed that problems arose, but so they did in other countries, including Britain, no?

As I said, impressive. But note that she said Rwanda would be paid approximately the same amount that processing the case in Britain would cost - so we won't actually save any money (but Rwanda will make a profit). And if their applications for asylum in Rwanda fail, I wasn't clear what happens then.

The main angle for Labour to latch onto is the trivial number of cases agreed. That makes it simply an expensive gimmick.
    So not a cost thing then. No it would be ridiculous to pick Rwanda out of a hat to save a few quid.

It is of course a trap for Lab and as to latching onto the number of cases agreed that might be the way ahead for them. I fear it is quite a watertight case for the government because it puts Lab in the position, effectively, of criticising the govt for not sending more asylum seekers to sub-Saharan Africa.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Why would I want the job I don't want to work in the public sector. I have a work ethic so wouldn't fit in
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Aren’t the people telling us that the Rwanda plan won’t deter channel crossing refugees the same people who told us that only 20,000 immigrants would come from Poland when we almost uniquely allowed unrestricted immigration on their accession to the EU?

No idea. I haven't asked them all - have you?

What do we do about Rwandans seeking asylum btw.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Why would I want the job I don't want to work in the public sector. I have a work ethic so wouldn't fit in
    You would be surprised re the public sector.

As for the private sector - this IS going to be a private sector thing anyway so straight up your street. Contracted out left right and centre.

Edit: like jails, workhouses, orphanages, Army regiments, etc. before the mid-Victorian reforms.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Lab gain

Standard Red Wall presumption going on here, but on the boundaries in play now, it is more classic West Yorkshire marginal than pure red wall, despite proximity to coal fields.

My impression, mainly from occasional drive throughs and short visits.

Ossett seems a fairly working small town on driving through, Horbury is a bit nicer, West Bretton and Wakefield Rural could be any Tory shire anywhere, and the 3 (of 4) Wakefield proper wards are a mix: sizeable council estate areas West of the city, but not unremitting, a city centre high street that was a bit ragged last time I looked, but boosted by its good London connections and not, to my impression, on the sort of downswing of many Northern places of similar size.

And less than you'd expect of the small ex-mining place still bearing the scars of that decline (that's more Castleford / Normanton).

Still, Labour ought to be gaining this on current politics.
    I took a stroll through Wakey city centre a couple of months ago. Other than the cathedral it all seemed grim and rundown.

We need to make the right choice of candidate. Somebody in tune with the issues that matter to the voters.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

As the Twitter label party?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    darkage said:

I think on the Rwanda thing, if they can pull it off, even vaguely - against howls of outrage from Labour.... then the tories will be re-elected in the next GE. It is the same golden ticket as ending free movement.

Not a very popular one, though, according to the poll cited by HYUFD. Only 20% strongly support it (indeed only 39% of Tories) and overall people lean against by 42-35.

I think it's one of those things that could be sold be a popular PM, but in current circumstances will be dismissed by most as a gimmick designed to distract.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

As for the private sector - this IS going to be a private sector thing anyway so straight up your street. Contracted out left right and centre.
    I worked in the public sector for a couple of years when young so no wouldn't be surprised. Never met such a bunch of workshy misfits and jobsworth in my whole life.

If its private sector and the pay was right and I wasn't being asked to do something I consider immoral yes would do it
  • Options

Surely they will ask for it via some intermediaries, so that both sets of politicians and hangers on can get some of the cake?
  • Options

darkage said:

Not a very popular one, though, according to the poll cited by HYUFD. Only 20% strongly support it (indeed only 39% of Tories) and overall people lean against by 42-35.

I think it's one of those things that could be sold be a popular PM, but in current circumstances will be dismissed by most as a gimmick designed to distract.

I was quoting Ms Rea of the Staggers's morning email earlier:

"The government is [...] is less comfortable with is being challenged on its own terms, over whether a gratuitously expensive, cruel immigration approach will reduce the number of Channel crossings.

While many people may react viscerally to the human cost of the Rwandan offshoring policy, the most politically effective approach may be to point out its absurdity."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Who will though? Anthony Calvert who said unpleasant things about Mary Creagh or Khan's 2019 agent who has colourful comments history on the Vote UK forum and has also said stuff about Mary Creagh.
    Saying nasty things about Mary Creagh shows very sound judgment, surely?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited April 2022
    Weird to contemplate he's actually done what amounts to the decent thing in this one instance at least.

Easy Lab gain. Even without the circumstances of the case it would be ripe for reversal.

But please no more retreading politicians (unless NickP wants another go in his old patch).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.

No to the "there are problems in other countries" question, given Kagame's habit of murdering political opponents.

As to being gay, she would say that. But

https://www.refworld.org/docid/527b54c14.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Rwanda

Parliament debated criminalising homosexuality and punishing it with 5-10 years in 2009, but decided not to

Not great
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    HYUFD said:

So perhaps not the political catnip supposed. Performative cruelty is perhaps not as popular as some think, though we await a lot of detail in the scheme.

Useful dead cat today though to distract from partygate fines and record waiting lists.
  • Options
    Catching up on some other stuff, like this Rwanda move, there are many issues where I find myself uncertain about what is actually the right move to deal with a given issue, yet I feel very much more confident about what amounts to the wrong move.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Presumably the goal is to discourage asylum seekers, as they know there is a high likelihood of them being chucked on a plane to Africa.

Whether that works or not is another matter altogether. We can reasonably assume that people smugglers will not be pointing it out.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Labour should announce that we support the Rwanda policy, but we will be keeping a close eye on the government to ensure they deliver it properly because they tend to screw up most things, especially when it comes to immigration.

Focus on competency and leave the bleating and handwringing to the Twitterati.

Remember Comrades, the by-election is in Wakefield, not Wokefield.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Bullshit jobs, and an ethos to match, is traditionally thought to be purely public sector but I really don't think the experiences of a great many bear that out.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Send them to Burundi??
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Of course I’ve asked every single one. What have you been wasting your time with?

Our very own Nick Palmer was part of the governing party that opened up the way for Poles to come unrestricted into this country; I’m quite sure he voted for it. On this very thread he’s made a comment that strongly implies that he doesn’t believe that the Rwanda plan will make any difference to the numbers trying to make the treacherous journey across the Channel. Either that or he doesn’t understand the economics of it.

On Rwandans seeking asylum.. who knows? Maybe they could go to a processing centre in Ukraine. They seem to have some colours in common 🇷🇼 🇺🇦
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

I worked in the public sector for a couple of years when young so no wouldn't be surprised. Never met such a bunch of workshy misfits and jobsworth in my whole life.

If its private sector and the pay was right and I wasn't being asked to do something I consider immoral yes would do it
    Rather an unkind way to describe the teachers, university workers and medics on PB and elsewhere.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

The Rwanda wheeze is not too expensive a potential white elephant though is it? The value of planning for just two Garden Bridges.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Genius level point. Which also applies to any refugee who has no papers on him and claims to be Rwandan
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    darkage said:

That's precisely why the forces of the Left will mobilise to do everything possible to stop it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Genius level point. Which also applies to any refugee who has no papers on him and claims to be Rwandan
    Just ask them a few questions in Kinyarwanda or Kiswahili.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Bullshit jobs, and an ethos to match, is traditionally thought to be purely public sector but I really don't think the experiences of a great many bear that out.
    Certainly bullshit jobs in the private sector too its not a public sector monopoly by any means also some workshy....just my experience tends to be they get weeded out over time whereas in the public sector it seems more endemic. An example is when I was in the public sector people almost seemed to see the sick day allowance as extra holiday and they all made sure they used it up every year, my experience in the private sector is you start having hr talking to you long before you get near it ostensibly to see if there is a problem they can help with.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Are you posting from a golf club bar?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Um..... no.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Blair_ministry
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Certainly bullshit jobs in the private sector too its not a public sector monopoly by any means also some workshy....just my experience tends to be they get weeded out over time whereas in the public sector it seems more endemic. An example is when I was in the public sector people almost seemed to see the sick day allowance as extra holiday and they all made sure they used it up every year, my experience in the private sector is you start having hr talking to you long before you get near it ostensibly to see if there is a problem they can help with.
    You were in the public sector for 2 years a long time ago?

I can tell you that when I worked in the public sector 20 years ago and more we had to fill in 4 forms for each sick absence and HR were hounding us if thje cumulative total for the running year was more than 5 [edit] days or so with formal interviews for 10 days' total.
  • Options
    Someone should ask Starmer, "if channel crossings fall substantially, will you consider this scheme a success?"
  • Options

Who will though? Anthony Calvert who said unpleasant things about Mary Creagh or Khan's 2019 agent who has colourful comments history on the Vote UK forum and has also said stuff about Mary Creagh.
    Saying nasty things about Mary Creagh shows very sound judgment, surely?
    I am not a particular fan of Creagh and it is good she is not standing again. More a comment on the Wakefield Tories selection procedures etc, Calvert also said much worse, racist things.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.

If it stops the boat crossings (which is a very big if) then it will prove popular.

If Labour want to outflank the Tories on this then they need to find a better solution that achieves the same thing.

The mnemonic "safe and legal routes" just reads as let in anyone who wants to come to most people.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Just ask them a few questions in Kinyarwanda or Kiswahili.
    A rather John Buchan solution, and deaf and dumbness is easy to feign and hard to disprove
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

?? Presumably they can just go straight to the processing centre? It's the most convenient country to do it from.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    rcs1000 said:

Presumably the goal is to discourage asylum seekers, as they know there is a high likelihood of them being chucked on a plane to Africa.

Whether that works or not is another matter altogether. We can reasonably assume that people smugglers will not be pointing it out.
    A few thousand over several years isnt a high likelihood of being sent to Rwanda.

It does mean deporting after people have set foot in Britain, and thereby potentially registered an asylum application. It might be simpler to just revoke our signature on the Refugee convention, as article 31 prevents punishment of refugees for illegal entry.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Um..... no.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Blair_ministry
    You don’t think Lammy, Gardiner and Cooper will echo Nick Palmer’s views on the matter? Ok..
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

The Rwanda wheeze is not too expensive a potential white elephant though is it? The value of planning for just two Garden Bridges.
    It's a drop in the bucket of the global aid budget.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.

If it stops the boat crossings (which is a very big if) then it will prove popular.

If Labour want to outflank the Tories on this then they need to find a better solution that achieves the same thing.

The mnemonic "safe and legal routes" just reads as let in anyone who wants to come to most people.
    The obvious answer is to fund the judiciary properly and create a framework that deals with appeals very quickly, I would suggest a target of within 3 months for 90% of cases.

Not funding the judiciary creates the backlogs in the system that drive high costs, illegal employment, exploitation and ill will.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

A few thousand over several years isnt a high likelihood of being sent to Rwanda.

It does mean deporting after people have set foot in Britain, and thereby potentially registered an asylum application. It might be simpler to just revoke our signature on the Refugee convention, as article 31 prevents punishment of refugees for illegal entry.
    Oh, the necessary abrogation will be a positive bonus for the Tories.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Are you posting from a golf club bar?
    Wow you think the likes of me would be allowed in a golf club, might be allowed to beg outside it if I am lucky
This discussion has been closed.