Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Let’s stop this fetish over VI polling – these are the numbers that matter – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022

Quite an interesting point of view here, which I suspect we might hear more of at least some aspects of as the weeks go on, and which considers this all as part of a co-ordinated Russian-Chinese attempt to dethrone the dollar as the world's reserve currency .

https://3circleinvestments.substack.com/p/russia-isnt-attacking-ukraine-they

Unlikely. China has $3 trillion of FX reserves, mostly in USD. The USD has been strengthening over the last year and will likely strengthen even more if the shooting starts, as it tends to in a risk-off environment. The sell-off in US Treasuries reflects the Fed pivoting to a more aggressive hiking cycle rather than anything China or Russia is up to. China certainly wants the RMB to play a bigger role as a global reserve currency alongside the USD, and both Russia and China want to weaken the US as a global power, but for China especially taking down the USD would be a self-destructive act, even if it were within their power to do it.
    I tend to agree with a lot of that, but the dimension of Russian motivation, particularly with regard to energy, does look somewhat more interesting to me, in the respects the author is heading toward in the article. Putin is often preoccupied with various off-centre strategies, either informational or economic.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Cicero said:

Although the main news in Tallinn is the selection of the Estonian Eurovision entry,

Q. Who is Ukraine's entry for Eurovision this year?

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)
    It seemed funnier when you done this gag yesterday.

Are you here all week?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Am back briefly.

Anyone know if Leon did indeed board the flight back to a stormy UK this week? Or did he listen to his heart and stay out in his much-loved Sri Lanka?

Farooq said:

Aslan said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

The point about the West stoking up Putin is one I've made previously: poking the bear. It's not particularly smart.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10507761/Putin-doesnt-s-t-sanctions-Russian-ambassador-says-amid-Ukraine-invasion-fears.html

In Boris Johnson's case it would suit him if Russia invades. Remember: he will throw anyone or anything or any country under the bus if it helps save his skin. If you don't like this, you don't know Boris Johnson.

The Ambassador would be unlikely to say that Russia would back down in the face of sanctions.

Putin is acting like a bully in this case. We are not the one's poking him.
    He is, and that needs to be very clearly seen as the main issue. But we are poking as well, and some of it is disingenuous and aimed at domestic headlines. Reserving the option to move missiles up to the Russian border (why?), insisting that we might want to bring a former part of the country into NATO (when we clearly are not going to), and issuing predictions of invasion every week for months are all unhelpful, and many patriotic Ukrainians are fed up with it (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/13/ukrainians-in-kyiv-shrug-off-threat-of-russian-invasion).

This isn't to excuse Putin's sabre-rattling at all, and if it turns out to be worse than sabre-rattling, that will apply triply. But we have made the mistake many times of whipping up local fervour in a small country and then letting them down, and if we quietly reinforced Ukraine and made Nordstream completely and permanently dependent on no invasion, that would probably be more effective than the noisy public stuff.
    Sorry Nick, but that's bullshit. Pure and absolute bullshit. I feel bad using such language against you, but it needs saying.

Putin has invaded Ukraine twice - the first time capturing very valuable territory, and the second with his surrogates getting bogged down. Saying we are 'poking' them when they have this track record, and he has moved massive numbers of troops to the border, is ridiculous.

We have zero fault in this. The Russian supporters (or anti-western) people would see *anything* we said as 'poking'.

As for why we should support Ukraine,:
    *) They got rid of their nukes in return international agreement for their protection.
    *) The right to self-determination.
    *) The Holodmor. Russia's behaviour wrt Ukraine has never been good (indeed, the same goes for other countries against Ukraine as well.)

Russia is the aggressor here. Save your ire for them.
    100%. It just shows the level of hatred for the West that exists in pockets of left and right, that they bend over backwards to find ways to blame the West in what is a completely unambiguous case of Russian aggression. Parts of the left because they like to self identify as fighting the establishment, and parts of the right because they are angry the West is a less conservative society than in their idealized vision.
    Well done for spotting that this is an issue for both left and right.
    Add to that the political links Russia tries to forge with all parties. Conservatives and Labour have definitely both unwisely accepted donations from Russian-linked people. Doubtless other parties have also been vulnerable to this, and nobody should be complacent about it.
    I agree with you Farooq! except it’s worse than you say. The naivety of our political class in how they allowed themselves to be groomed and accepted the dirty money of the Chinese and Russians now means it’s not being properly dealt with or exposed because none of them want the truth to come out. 🤬

What is it about the UK mindset, it couldn’t see the reason why Chinese and Russian soft power was tickling the back of the neck and giving a shoulder massage?

There is a huge story here the MSM (as Mike writes in header or LSM to be accurate) need to put their political bias aside and expose for us.
    As someone unwisely encouraged me with a like, I’ll carry on.

If the Libdems didn’t have an MP exposed as being in bed with a spy, you could think it would be them to campaign on how the other parties have succumbed to the relentless grooming inside and outside the lobby - but Libdems are suspiciously quiet too on this!

And we shouldn’t stop at China and Russia buying our democracy and political decision making - some MPs, through stop the war, have clearly got themselves far too close to some foreign causes unable to take balanced view on Palestine whilst other MPs may well have succumbed to the soft power of Saudi Arabia or Israel as examples (that’s what Priti Patel was sacked for lying about wasn’t it? whilst with FA change of mind on Newcastle deal, was there any political lobbying for them to change their mind?).

Strong on defence also means having democracy, elections and lobby system robust against interference from soft power! Unless you think I am wrong about that?
  • Cicero said:

Although the main news in Tallinn is the selection of the Estonian Eurovision entry,

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?
    It would be a Crime-ea to miss it!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Heathener said:

Am back briefly.

Anyone know if Leon did indeed board the flight back to a stormy UK this week? Or did he listen to his heart and stay out in his much-loved Sri Lanka?

Welcome back.

I don't know.

Strange question to come back for.
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

Am back briefly.

Welcome back.

I don't know.

Strange question to come back for.
    :smiley:

I confess that I don't spend all that long on here: just dip in and out. I was intrigued as to whether he might have gone with his heart and decided to stay out there.

We're in for a wild week of weather, especially second half, so brace yourselves not just for storms but also for an awful lot of complaining from the direction Camden Town.
  • Are the trolls and shills still spinning that the govt is competent, Boris is wonderful and Brexit is such a success that the EU will disintegrate in jealousy later this week?

:)
    edited February 2022

Are the trolls and shills still spinning that the govt is competent, Boris is wonderful and Brexit is such a success that the EU will disintegrate in jealousy later this week?

:)

Yes, and the Greek and Italian economies are about to collapse entirely, everyone's clamouring to leave, and the French and Germans have had enough of each other, etc etc, ad infinitum.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    JACK_W said:

My fellow PBers let us all be thankful that OGH has rejected one particular fetish and he may further slim down others from his catalogue of Lib Dem vice and woes. :smiley:

Good to see you your Grace. I trust you are well and the pies continue to give satisfaction.
    Farooq said:

Cicero said:

Although the main news in Tallinn is the selection of the Estonian Eurovision entry, someone did ask me an interesting rhetorical question, namely "how much damage has already been done to the Putin regime ?"

The point is that Putin has given tacit approval to Kadyrov (the Chechen leader) to continue his murderous campaign against journalists and even his making threats to a former judge. https://cpj.org/2022/02/investigative-reporter-elena-milashina-flees-russia-after-threats-from-chechen-leader/

Meanwhile, there seems to be growing resistence to the idea of going into Ukraine from inside the Russian high command after the publication of a letter from retired General Ivashov who is the chairman of the All Russian officers assembly. In it he denies that NATO is a threat, that a war with Ukraine will destroy the standing of Russia and would be a criminal act, and he even calls on Putin to stand down.

http://ooc.su/news/obrashhenie_obshherossijskogo_oficerskogo_sobranija_k_prezidentu_i_grazhdanam_rossijskoj_federacii/2022-01-31-79-0-1 (in Russian, sorry).

So the evidence that Putin is in a trap of his own making is definitely growing. One model for thinking about the way the regime works is that instead of being a classic tyranny it is a power broking opreration between different mafia factions. However by letting Kadyrov persecute his enemies so brutally it has put two of the factions, Russian nationalists and Chechens at each other´s throats. The invasion of Ukraine could easily see a return of the "mothers" and significant protests if the war goes badly. I even heard someone who has just returned from Moscow suggest that Putin´s health might suddenly become "an issue" and there is slightly feverish talk of a possible coup.

So the short answer is that the regime is already under very heavy pressure. However the German sherpas, ahead of Scholz´s visit to Moscow are playing down expectations of any breakthrough. Nevertheless if the Kremlin does not take this last minute lifeline and actually enacts the detailed plans for an invasion that have been made public then I think that there is a real risk that the regime could face a terminal crisis within a matter of weeks or months.

Really interesting post, thank you.
    It seems to me a coup in Russia wouldn't be ideal, but may be preferable to the status quo, depending on who seizes the reins. Of course, the ideal would be a pivot towards democracy but it doesn't feel likely.
    Imagine that oaf Lavrov in charge. Would be like Johnson only without the sense of humour.
    Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?
    Putin was visiting a school in Moscow to promote the nations power on the world wide stage.
    The children were allowed to ask questions before lunch.

Little Alina speaks up and says to Putin...

“I have two questions”

“Why did Russia take Crimea?”

“And why are we sending troops to Ukraine?”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”
    but before he can say anything else the bell goes and the kids go for lunch.

When they come back to the classroom, there is room for more questions.

Natasha speaks up to Putin,

“I have four questions”

“Why are we sending troops to Ukraine?”

“Why did the bell go off 20 minutes early?”

“And where is Alina?”
    Plot twist: Alina and Natasha were regime stooges, and the aim of the questions was to help spread the idea that Crimea isn't Ukrainian as well. Putin's 6-dimensional judo is once again successful.

Plot twist twist: Alina and Natasha both end up sent to Siberia anyway.
    Don’t Russian girls have such gorgeous feminine names!
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682
    ydoethur said:

JACK_W said:

My fellow PBers let us all be thankful that OGH has rejected one particular fetish and he may further slim down others from his catalogue of Lib Dem vice and woes. :smiley:

Good to see you your Grace. I trust you are well and the pies continue to give satisfaction.
    Indeed so. Our range of "Party Pies" have been a roaring success to a particular group. Full of the finest bullshit and only available to the scatty of the Conservative Party. It's a huge market !! .. :smiley:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

Although the main news in Tallinn is the selection of the Estonian Eurovision entry, someone did ask me an interesting rhetorical question, namely "how much damage has already been done to the Putin regime ?"

The point is that Putin has given tacit approval to Kadyrov (the Chechen leader) to continue his murderous campaign against journalists and even his making threats to a former judge. https://cpj.org/2022/02/investigative-reporter-elena-milashina-flees-russia-after-threats-from-chechen-leader/

Meanwhile, there seems to be growing resistence to the idea of going into Ukraine from inside the Russian high command after the publication of a letter from retired General Ivashov who is the chairman of the All Russian officers assembly. In it he denies that NATO is a threat, that a war with Ukraine will destroy the standing of Russia and would be a criminal act, and he even calls on Putin to stand down.

http://ooc.su/news/obrashhenie_obshherossijskogo_oficerskogo_sobranija_k_prezidentu_i_grazhdanam_rossijskoj_federacii/2022-01-31-79-0-1 (in Russian, sorry).

So the evidence that Putin is in a trap of his own making is definitely growing. One model for thinking about the way the regime works is that instead of being a classic tyranny it is a power broking opreration between different mafia factions. However by letting Kadyrov persecute his enemies so brutally it has put two of the factions, Russian nationalists and Chechens at each other´s throats. The invasion of Ukraine could easily see a return of the "mothers" and significant protests if the war goes badly. I even heard someone who has just returned from Moscow suggest that Putin´s health might suddenly become "an issue" and there is slightly feverish talk of a possible coup.

So the short answer is that the regime is already under very heavy pressure. However the German sherpas, ahead of Scholz´s visit to Moscow are playing down expectations of any breakthrough. Nevertheless if the Kremlin does not take this last minute lifeline and actually enacts the detailed plans for an invasion that have been made public then I think that there is a real risk that the regime could face a terminal crisis within a matter of weeks or months.

It seems to me a coup in Russia wouldn't be ideal, but may be preferable to the status quo, depending on who seizes the reins. Of course, the ideal would be a pivot towards democracy but it doesn't feel likely.
    Imagine that oaf Lavrov in charge. Would be like Johnson only without the sense of humour.
    We can perhaps hope for a revolution then?

Also in Russia.
    Well, yes. Then @Malmesbury will make me Secretary of State for Education and I can fire the whole lot into the heart of the sun.

Unless somebody wants to make me a better offer.
  • Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?
    Putin was visiting a school in Moscow to promote the nations power on the world wide stage.

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”
    Plot twist: Alina and Natasha were regime stooges, and the aim of the questions was to help spread the idea that Crimea isn't Ukrainian as well. Putin's 6-dimensional judo is once again successful.

With an 'a' on the end? Don't other cultures have that too?
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

I've known three Russian women. Olga, Vera, and Tatyana. I'll let you judge for yourself whether those names are "gorgeous".

We used to call Tatyana "potato" behind her back. Don't feel bad for her, though. She was a raging antisemite.
    All those three are lovely. Tatyana is on the road to sounding sensual, if a playful sense.
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

We can perhaps hope for a revolution then?

Also in Russia.
    Well, yes. Then @Malmesbury will make me Secretary of State for Education and I can fire the whole lot into the heart of the sun.

Unless somebody wants to make me a better offer.
    Wait, who is being fired into the heart of the sun? Teachers? The department for education? The youth of today?
    I need to know what I'm signing up for before I vote for Malmesbury's benign dictatorship.
    The Department for Education. That was the very specific deal we struck.

Edit - and you don't exactly get 'votes' in dictatorships. Sometimes confirmatory ballots. But as we know, Malmesbury is one who does everything by the numbers.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

I've known three Russian women. Olga, Vera, and Tatyana. I'll let you judge for yourself whether those names are "gorgeous".

We used to call Tatyana "potato" behind her back. Don't feel bad for her, though. She was a raging antisemite.
    All those three are lovely. Tatyana is on the road to sounding sensual, if a playful sense.
    Natasha has to be one of the most beautiful names, especially if you pronounce it the Russian way with the emphasis heavily on the first syllable.
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Tatyana and Katya - two of the world's most beautiful names, I think.
    JACK_W said:

As always we exist here merely in hope of distinguished visits from your Grace. Not that we actually deserve any at all for our so many nefarious vices and Libdemisms. [insert curtsy emoji]

If anyone needs to surrender a fetish, I am more than happy to take it on for them, if it should be my burden, my only purpose here in PB metaverse. If you have any wearisome fetishes long passed usefulness, I would very much welcome the opportunity of relieving you of them, if it would make you happy, Your Grace.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Potato was not "sensual".
    Every time someone mentioned 9/11 she'd lean in and whisper "you know Israel did it?" Foot and mouth was Jews as well, if I recall. Those apartments that got blown up in Russia, when was that in about 2000?, that was a Zionist plot too.

A friend of mine slept with her, and he swears to us she checked he wasn't circumcised before, uh, proceeding. Absolutely barking mad.
    Her foreplay was checking foreskins? Kinky.

What if he'd had phimosis?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647
    Evening all :)

Back in the real world....

Counting has started in the Castile & Leon regional election. Looking like a good night for PP with the party perhaps closer to a majority than the last polls suggested.

A very early projection has PP on 37 seats in the 81 seat regional Cortes, PSOE on 25 and VOX on 13 with 6 for other parties. I wonder if PP would like to do a deal with a minor party rather than have to go to VOX as it would leave options open for the national election next year.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Natasha has to be one of the most beautiful names, especially if you pronounce it the Russian way with the emphasis heavily on the first syllable.
    Er I'm fairly sure the stress is on the second syllable. It is of course a diminutive of Natalya.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Defence Secretary Ben Wallace as Boris Johnson's successor?
    https://twitter.com/PigsAndPolling/status/1492927781134557188
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Every time someone mentioned 9/11 she'd lean in and whisper "you know Israel did it?" Foot and mouth was Jews as well, if I recall. Those apartments that got blown up in Russia, when was that in about 2000?, that was a Zionist plot too.

A friend of mine slept with her, and he swears to us she checked he wasn't circumcised before, uh, proceeding. Absolutely barking mad.
    What does Tatyana mean?
    fairy queen
    Origin
    Russian

She is a Fairy Queen Farooq! 🧚🏼‍♀️

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Er I'm fairly sure the stress is on the second syllable. It is of course a diminutive of Natalya.
    The diminutive that always amused me was Janet, which actually has more letters and syllables than Jane even jf it's shorter overall.

Also confuses the hell out of many English teachers, who form elaborate theories about why Rochester calls Jane Eyre 'Janet' all the time, without realising it's an affectionate diminutive.
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Ekatarina

As in Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Gringov.

Want to see something beautiful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvGHYdCxTM

NB This clip is only for people who have a soul
  • ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

The diminutive that always amused me was Janet, which actually has more letters and syllables than Jane even jf it's shorter overall.

Also confuses the hell out of many English teachers, who form elaborate theories about why Rochester calls Jane Eyre 'Janet' all the time, without realising it's an affectionate diminutive.
    Like Sally, originally a diminutive of Sarah, it has made it all the way to being considered an independent name.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

What does Tatyana mean?
    fairy queen
    Origin
    Russian

She is a Fairy Queen Farooq! 🧚🏼‍♀️
    Actually it's Sabine. Borrowed into Latin and popular in the East.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Back in the real world....

Counting has started in the Castile & Leon regional election. Looking like a good night for PP with the party perhaps closer to a majority than the last polls suggested.

A very early projection has PP on 37 seats in the 81 seat regional Cortes, PSOE on 25 and VOX on 13 with 6 for other parties. I wonder if PP would like to do a deal with a minor party rather than have to go to VOX as it would leave options open for the national election next year.

Interesting - if it pans out the PP will have exceeeded the polling by around 8 /9 points - indeed CIS - the national polling company had PSOE ahead as they do wrt national polling - so far out of line with the private polling companies that makes it really suspicious. On your substantive point I think at least one of the minor parties may get 2/3 seats which could take PP across the line. Interestingly it wil not be Citizens who have been obliterated.

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

It is of course a diminutive of Natalya.
    Always makes me think of Goldeneye

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Natalya_Simonova_(Izabella_Scorupco)

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

NA-tasha
    na-TAH-sha
    let's call the whole thing off.
    “Farooq is a common Arabic given and family name. Al-Fārūq literally means "the one who distinguishes between right and wrong."”

But you are nearly always wrong Farooq! 🤷‍♀️
    felix said:

Interesting - if it pans out the PP will have exceeeded the polling by around 8 /9 points - indeed CIS - the national polling company had PSOE ahead as they do wrt national polling - so far out of line with the private polling companies that makes it really suspicious. On your substantive point I think at least one of the minor parties may get 2/3 seats which could take PP across the line. Interestingly it wil not be Citizens who have been obliterated.

The numbers are still pitching around as the votes are counted.

With 20.5% counted, it's now PP 33, PSOE 26, VOX 14 and Others 8

It looks as though PP's options will either be a minority or a deal with VOX.
  • Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

The point about the West stoking up Putin is one I've made previously: poking the bear. It's not particularly smart.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10507761/Putin-doesnt-s-t-sanctions-Russian-ambassador-says-amid-Ukraine-invasion-fears.html

In Boris Johnson's case it would suit him if Russia invades. Remember: he will throw anyone or anything or any country under the bus if it helps save his skin. If you don't like this, you don't know Boris Johnson.

The Ambassador would be unlikely to say that Russia would back down in the face of sanctions.

He is, and that needs to be very clearly seen as the main issue. But we are poking as well, and some of it is disingenuous and aimed at domestic headlines. Reserving the option to move missiles up to the Russian border (why?), insisting that we might want to bring a former part of the country into NATO (when we clearly are not going to), and issuing predictions of invasion every week for months are all unhelpful, and many patriotic Ukrainians are fed up with it (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/13/ukrainians-in-kyiv-shrug-off-threat-of-russian-invasion).

This isn't to excuse Putin's sabre-rattling at all, and if it turns out to be worse than sabre-rattling, that will apply triply. But we have made the mistake many times of whipping up local fervour in a small country and then letting them down, and if we quietly reinforced Ukraine and made Nordstream completely and permanently dependent on no invasion, that would probably be more effective than the noisy public stuff.
    Like others who've responded I think that's utter bullshit and this is all 100% Putin's responsibility. No equivocation.

But I'm curious what you mean by "we might want to bring a former part of the country into NATO" - a former part of which country?

If you mean Crimea, that's still as far as we recognise it a part of Ukraine that's occupied by Russia it isn't a former anything, but I've not seen anyone propose that we invite Crimea into NATO.

If you mean former Soviet Republics being invited into NATO - if that is what they want, we should welcome them with open arms. Their decision and their free will. So long as they're willing to meet all relevant requirements and commitments of membership. But they're not a former part of any nation - unless like Putin seems to think, you view former Soviet Republics as errant former parts of Russia?
    stodge said:

felix said:

Yes I just saw on the TV - closer to the main polling but still above most forecasts for the right and centre right - awful for Citizens and pretty poor for the socialists PSOE too. VOX have a clear foothold in Spanish politics but they remain a clear minority on the right.
    felix said:

stodge said:

felix said:

Yes I just saw on the TV - closer to the main polling but still above most forecasts for the right and centre right - awful for Citizens and pretty poor for the socialists PSOE too. VOX have a clear foothold in Spanish politics but they remain a clear minority on the right.
    31% now counted - PP 33 PSOE 28 VOX 13 and others 7.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682

JACK_W said:

As always we exist here merely in hope of distinguished visits from your Grace. Not that we actually deserve any at all for our so many nefarious vices and Libdemisms. [insert curtsy emoji]

If anyone needs to surrender a fetish, I am more than happy to take it on for them, if it should be my burden, my only purpose here in PB metaverse. If you have any wearisome fetishes long passed usefulness, I would very much welcome the opportunity of relieving you of them, if it would make you happy, Your Grace.
    I have to inform you that fetishes do not exist within the Scottish aristocracy, as any such behaviour is entirely normal and accordingly would be of no use to you as a seasoned practitioner.

edited February 2022
    stodge said:

felix said:

stodge said:

felix said:

The province of Valladolid is interesting - it's where teachers say the best Spanish is spoken - the poshest if you will - and I notice the almost total dominance of the right wing parties there. :)

EDIT: Ooops misread the table - more like 50/50 left and right!
    Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Ekatarina

Hard to imagine ice dance any more perfect than that. It was beautiful.

If anyone has lost their soul, this should help them find it.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    JACK_W said:

Good to see you back Jack @JACK_W
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

I have to inform you that fetishes do not exist within the Scottish aristocracy, as any such behaviour is entirely normal and accordingly would be of no use to you as a seasoned practitioner.

Very well said your Grace.

I now shall busy myself ensuring all your posts have the requisite number of likes. [insert curtsy walking backwards through door emoticon]
    felix said:

stodge said:

felix said:

stodge said:

felix said:

The province of Valladolid is interesting - it's where teachers say the best Spanish is spoken - the poshest if you will - and I notice the almost total dominance of the right wing parties there. :)

EDIT: Ooops misread the table - more like 50/50 left and right!
    47% now counted - PP 32 PSOE 28 VOX 13 and others 8 so closer still to the final polls.
    Scott_xP said:
    Will they be returning the money from Len McCluskey as well?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's the connection?
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's the connection?
    It was a joke about McCluskey's admiration for the Soviet Union.
    Scott_xP said:
    Why would they give back money to Russia? Do Labour want them to invade poland as well?
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's the connection?
    It was a joke about McCluskey's admiration for the Soviet Union.
    Oh, I see.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Ekatarina

In pure ice dance, this is still the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-0BCSyWtc
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    Just back from seeing Belfast.

Superb, I thought.

Superb, I thought.

It is, it must be one of the best preserved warships and it's brilliantly presented.

Oh, sorry, did you mean the film?

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Ekatarina

Sorry, I can't resist being a pedant, but they were a figure skating pair rather than ice dancers like Torvill and Dean.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    edited February 2022

Superb, I thought.

What are your Oscar tips Mark? I've been told that Benedict Cumberbatch has got best actor all but sewn up. Also @Roger, what are your best guesses?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    ydoethur said:

Superb, I thought.

It is, it must be one of the best preserved warships and it's brilliantly presented.

Strictly speaking, wearing an anachronistic WW2 colour scheme in view of its present 1950s refit configuration - but who worries? A coat of paint can easily be changed next time the maintenance schedule comes round. And there is so much on the ship to see, including the Admiralty Fire Control Table (gunnery analogue computer), artificers' workshop, engine rooms, and so on and so forth.
  • Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Superb, I thought.

Strictly speaking, wearing an anachronistic WW2 colour scheme in view of its present 1950s refit configuration - but who worries? A coat of paint can easily be changed next time the maintenance schedule comes round. And there is so much on the ship to see, including the Admiralty Fire Control Table (gunnery analogue computer), artificers' workshop, engine rooms, and so on and so forth.
    And as I recall, a galley made by the Carron Company, who used to make the "smashers" for Nelson's navy
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1492912340072808448

A Ukrainian soldier on the Donbas front lines near Luhansk, with whom I’m in touch, reports that his unit's leaves have been cancelled & soldiers on leave have been recalled. His unit is under strict orders to obey the ceasefire and not shoot back “under any circumstances.”

“I think we are now in the final stages before the attack,” he said.

Overall, and based on other reports I'm receiving from Ukrainian troops, the Ukrainian armed forces are quietly preparing their defenses while also being incredibly cautious about not giving Russia a false flag pretense for escalation.

I don't get this false flag stuff. No one not an ally of Russia would believe it, and if they are they'd accept any pretext given anyway. These are the same people arguing NATO doing something 25 years ago is the escalation, not the build up of 100k troops.
  • MaxPB said:

Superb, I thought.

What are your Oscar tips Mark? I've been told that Benedict Cumberbatch has got best actor all but sewn up. Also @Roger, what are your best guesses?
    I've not seen many mentioning it but I'd like to see Encanto win one and I think Dos Orugitas is a good nominee for Best Original Song.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    kle4 said:

A Ukrainian soldier on the Donbas front lines near Luhansk, with whom I’m in touch, reports that his unit's leaves have been cancelled & soldiers on leave have been recalled. His unit is under strict orders to obey the ceasefire and not shoot back “under any circumstances.”

Overall, and based on other reports I'm receiving from Ukrainian troops, the Ukrainian armed forces are quietly preparing their defenses while also being incredibly cautious about not giving Russia a false flag pretense for escalation.

I don't get this false flag stuff. No one not an ally of Russia would believe it, and if they are they'd accept any pretext given anyway. These are the same people arguing NATO doing something 25 years ago is the escalation, not the build up of 100k troops.
    It is perhaps just a case that everyone has got wise to Russian tactics
  • kle4 said:

In a way NATO [not] doing stuff has created the opportunity for Russia to do this.

If there were tens of thousands of NATO troops stationed in Ukraine guaranteeing their freedom then Putin wouldn't dare attack.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    kle4 said:

It would be for internal consumption - it forces people to play along. After all, you don’t want to accuse the great leader of lying now do you? Because that would be a very career / life limiting move...

It works until it doesn’t of course.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    darkage said:

darkage said:

TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sorry Nick, but that's bullshit. Pure and absolute bullshit. I feel bad using such language against you, but it needs saying.

Putin has invaded Ukraine twice - the first time capturing very valuable territory, and the second with his surrogates getting bogged down. Saying we are 'poking' them when they have this track record, and he has moved massive numbers of troops to the border, is ridiculous.

We have zero fault in this. The Russian supporters (or anti-western) people would see *anything* we said as 'poking'.

*) They got rid of their nukes in return international agreement for their protection.
    *) The Holodmor. Russia's behaviour wrt Ukraine has never been good (indeed, the same goes for other countries against Ukraine as well.)

Sorry, but you're completely missing my point - as in a lot of dangerous situations, what we're seeing is people taking one side and not looking for a way through. I agree that Putin is the aggressor - whether he invades or not, but especially if he invades. I'm taking a sronger line than (I think) Biden, Johnson or Scholz on the concrete leverage of Nordstream, suggesting we should threaten *never* to authorise it if an invasion takes place. The current position appears to be that it won't be opened any time soon after an invasion, which is pathetic - you can guarantee it'll be quietly revisited after a year.

What I'm saying, though, is that we're mostly not handling it well - 90 parts hysteria to 10 points actual help for Ukraine and 0 points willingness to consider whether there are reasonable ways to facilitate a climbdown. Flipping the above, simply agreeing to open Nordstream if he buggers off, and closing it permanently if he ever tries it on again would be the route I'd suggest.
    Unless you are still connected to the backroom negotiations, Nick, I am not sure you can state that there is no attempt to find an acceptable climb down. There is the public theatre, which has to be where it is at atm, and then there is the real behind-the-scenes diplomacy.

I, for one, have no idea what that behind-the-scenes activity is, or where it stands.
    You can tell a lot from the public theatre, and the continuous humiliation the UK has experienced over the last decade. This article (below) is very good.

"...the fact that Lavrov is disrespectful and disagreeable is old news... Truss should have known all of this. Instead of offering empty language about rules and values, she could have started the press conference like this:

Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen of the press. I am delighted to join you after meeting my Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov. This time, we have not bothered to discuss treaties he won’t respect and promises he won’t keep. We have told him, instead, that an invasion of Ukraine will carry very, very high costs—higher than he has ever imagined. We are now planning to cut off Russian gas exports completely—Europe will find its energy supplies somewhere else. We are now preparing to assist the Ukrainian resistance, for a decade if need be. We are quadrupling our support for the Russian opposition, and for Russian media too. We want to make sure that Russians will start hearing the truth about this invasion, and as loudly as possible. And if you want to do regime change in Ukraine, we’ll get to work on regime change in Russia.

Truss, or Borrell before her, could have added just a touch of personal insult, in the style of Lavrov himself, and wondered out loud just how it is that Lavrov’s official salary pays for the lavish properties that his family makes use of in London. She could have listed the names of the many other Russian public servants who send their children to schools in Paris or Lugano. She could have announced that these children are now, all of them, on their way home, along with their parents: No more American School in Switzerland! No more pied-à-terres in Knightsbridge! No more Mediterranean yachts!"

https://www.anneapplebaum.com/2022/02/12/why-the-wests-diplomacy-with-russia-keeps-failing/
    So Anne Applebaum thinks that Liz Truss has control over energy supplies to Europe, schools in Switzerland, and *double checks* power over the sea. The woman is unhinged. Quite apart from the fact that what she's advocating is a foreign policy of flouncing around and pissing off your opponents for kicks, like an early Mussolini.
    Her condemnation is as much of Germany, as it is of the UK. The west have been too soft. She is right that the Russians will only respect hard power and definitive actions. Russia has already invaded part of Ukraine with no significant consequence, and the west have already effectively said that they can invade more and we will do nothing. So it will eventually continue, until such point as they are met head on.
    I agree with your main point - most strongly motivated behaviour only stops with the prospect hard consequences. However, you don't need to embellish that with dripping bile about personal stuff - that's just someone giving way to their visceral hatred of Russia, which is Anne Applebaum's fantasy, and shouldn't have any part in foreign policy. Always a mistake to hate your opponent.
    93% counted in Castile & Leon - PP 31 (+2), PSOE 28 (-7), VOX 13 (+12), Others 9

Just listening to the VOX leader who seems to be suggesting PP need VOX more than VOX needs PP - interesting.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Early on a Sunday morning, with Russia and its 100k army on the brink of invading Ukraine, I’m wondering where are all the anti war protesters in western capitals who hate imperialism so much? A striking absence of the present moment…

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/1492833930353033217

Wanking off over their Vladimir Putin pin-up calendars would be my guess. Here's a round-up of the latest articles from the website of our old friends the Stop the War Coalition:

"Keir Starmer's cynical embrace of NATO is a sad sight indeed"

"Watch: No war in Ukraine, stop NATO expansion" (NB: title artfully imposed over map of Ukraine with Crimea removed - clearly the whole thing about stopping wars doesn't apply when they are started by Russia)

"Deceitful activities: US expands its intelligence and military presence in UK"

"Amnesty is right: Israel is an apartheid state"

These people are not entirely without valid arguments to make, but being the far left they ruin everything by being so blatantly in love with any autocracy, however cruel, however corrupt, on the face of the planet that does anything to oppose the US and its allies. If Russian tanks do roll into Ukraine then I don't think any of us should hold our breath waiting for them to hold one of their demos outside the Russian embassy. They'll just invent excuses to blame the West for everything. Ditto if Comrade Xi decides to have a pop at Taiwan.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

It is perhaps just a case that everyone has got wise to Russian tactics
    Our beloved Negative Nationalists would suck it up.....

darkage said:

darkage said:

TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sorry, but you're completely missing my point - as in a lot of dangerous situations, what we're seeing is people taking one side and not looking for a way through. I agree that Putin is the aggressor - whether he invades or not, but especially if he invades. I'm taking a sronger line than (I think) Biden, Johnson or Scholz on the concrete leverage of Nordstream, suggesting we should threaten *never* to authorise it if an invasion takes place. The current position appears to be that it won't be opened any time soon after an invasion, which is pathetic - you can guarantee it'll be quietly revisited after a year.

What I'm saying, though, is that we're mostly not handling it well - 90 parts hysteria to 10 points actual help for Ukraine and 0 points willingness to consider whether there are reasonable ways to facilitate a climbdown. Flipping the above, simply agreeing to open Nordstream if he buggers off, and closing it permanently if he ever tries it on again would be the route I'd suggest.
    Unless you are still connected to the backroom negotiations, Nick, I am not sure you can state that there is no attempt to find an acceptable climb down. There is the public theatre, which has to be where it is at atm, and then there is the real behind-the-scenes diplomacy.

I, for one, have no idea what that behind-the-scenes activity is, or where it stands.
    You can tell a lot from the public theatre, and the continuous humiliation the UK has experienced over the last decade. This article (below) is very good.

"...the fact that Lavrov is disrespectful and disagreeable is old news... Truss should have known all of this. Instead of offering empty language about rules and values, she could have started the press conference like this:

Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen of the press. I am delighted to join you after meeting my Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov. This time, we have not bothered to discuss treaties he won’t respect and promises he won’t keep. We have told him, instead, that an invasion of Ukraine will carry very, very high costs—higher than he has ever imagined. We are now planning to cut off Russian gas exports completely—Europe will find its energy supplies somewhere else. We are now preparing to assist the Ukrainian resistance, for a decade if need be. We are quadrupling our support for the Russian opposition, and for Russian media too. We want to make sure that Russians will start hearing the truth about this invasion, and as loudly as possible. And if you want to do regime change in Ukraine, we’ll get to work on regime change in Russia.

Truss, or Borrell before her, could have added just a touch of personal insult, in the style of Lavrov himself, and wondered out loud just how it is that Lavrov’s official salary pays for the lavish properties that his family makes use of in London. She could have listed the names of the many other Russian public servants who send their children to schools in Paris or Lugano. She could have announced that these children are now, all of them, on their way home, along with their parents: No more American School in Switzerland! No more pied-à-terres in Knightsbridge! No more Mediterranean yachts!"

https://www.anneapplebaum.com/2022/02/12/why-the-wests-diplomacy-with-russia-keeps-failing/
    So Anne Applebaum thinks that Liz Truss has control over energy supplies to Europe, schools in Switzerland, and *double checks* power over the sea. The woman is unhinged. Quite apart from the fact that what she's advocating is a foreign policy of flouncing around and pissing off your opponents for kicks, like an early Mussolini.
    Her condemnation is as much of Germany, as it is of the UK. The west have been too soft. She is right that the Russians will only respect hard power and definitive actions. Russia has already invaded part of Ukraine with no significant consequence, and the west have already effectively said that they can invade more and we will do nothing. So it will eventually continue, until such point as they are met head on.
    I agree with your main point - most strongly motivated behaviour only stops with the prospect hard consequences. However, you don't need to embellish that with dripping bile about personal stuff - that's just someone giving way to their visceral hatred of Russia, which is Anne Applebaum's fantasy, and shouldn't have any part in foreign policy. Always a mistake to hate your opponent.
    Yes - this is airport novel fantasy diplomacy. In reality, being a arse in diplomatic negotiation is seen as being boorish and uncluttered.
  • ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Did mccluskey lend money to the tories?

:wink:
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    MaxPB said:

Superb, I thought.

I have seen very few of the movies this year. BAFTA have moved from a system of sending out DVD screeners to an online system this year - that has been quite a disaster. Our broadband speed is not able to cope (a common story).
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Superb, I thought.

It needs a new coat of paint.

Which reminds me - must find that chap who was trying to build a Dreyer Mk1 in his garage,,,,
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    I always love the summaries of the conversations between the leaders involved in the Russia-Ukraine stuff. Things like this, from the BBC article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60370541

"On Sunday, President Zelensky spoke for nearly an hour by phone with US President Joe Biden. The White House said President Biden reiterated US support for Ukraine, and that both leaders had agreed on "the importance of continuing to pursue diplomacy and deterrence".

Hopefully they spent an hour talking about more constructive things than "we support you" and "we keep trying diplomacy".
  • has the nuclear clock moved closer to midnight with this Russian impending invasion?
    UK cases by specimen date

UK cases by specimen date scaled to 100K

UK R

Case summary

Hospitals

Deaths

Age related data

COVID Summary

- Cases down. R falling. R segmented by age falling, R falling in all regions, apart from Scotland & Wales - where it is level.
    - Hospital admission down. R is solidly below 1
    - MV beds down.
    - In hospital down.
    - Deaths down. A lot.

• RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cicero said:

A. Crimea Wurst!

(I thank you!)

Are you here all week?

“I have two questions”

Putin responds
    “Good questions”

“I have four questions”

“And where is Alina?”

Ekatarina

In pure ice dance, this is still the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-0BCSyWtc
    The real test comes when he tries those lifts with Ann Widdecombe
This discussion has been closed.