Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2023 looks a value bet for year of next general election – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,325
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Fair play to Starmer for calling out Stop the War. They are a bunch of Marxist Woke Quislings

I don’t like Starmer very much, but he is becoming increasingly sort-of-tolerable if you squint

Yes, that's what I think.
    And then I remember he voluntarily serves under Corbyn, and his people's vote stance, and the kneeling, and the jnots he tied himself in over the trans issue...
    So still some way to go before he can convince me. But more forward steps than backward ones.
    Also worth noticing that, whilst Starmer’s latest few PMQ appearances haven’t wowed the daily commentators, he’s been pressing the government on the economy, cost of living, and crime - areas where Labour has typically been considered weak against the Tories. That the clown’s responses have been so lacklustre is helping Starmer play the long game and map out some promising territory on which to take on the Tories in their own usually strong policy areas.
    As Karl Rove (GWB's guru) advocated, you need to attack your opponents on their strongest ground. For too long Labour has allowed the blue team free hits on crime, defence and the economy, despite their record being woeful.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

So... who replaces her?

No-one, with the Met receiving the RUC treatment?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    edited February 2022
    kinabalu said:

I hope this doesn't delay the partygate investigation.

I cannot see it delaying the investigation

Sky reporting there will be a transition
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,149

Leon said:

I'll be disappointed in the media if there's no 'The Wrath of Khan' headlines.

Does Khan have the power to hire and fire the Met CC?
    No de jure, but de facto, it's the trick Mayor Boris Johnson used when he got rid of Sir Ian Blair.

Just publicly withdraw confidence in the Commissioner and they are gone.
    Fair enough and thanks. And yes, she’s incompetent and uninspiring, and won’t be mourned in my corner of Sri Lanka
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332

kinabalu said:

I hope this doesn't delay the partygate investigation.

I cannot see it delaying the investigation
    It's not much of an investigation anyway, TBF.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,882
    Is Khan giving Dick the chop because of performance? Or is anyone going to argue for "skin in the game" being the motive? Do we think it'll make a vast difference to Boris's prospects of standing up firm against his recent troubles?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,254
    Is it overly naughty and suspicious to wonder after all her fuck ups over the years, why she’s lost her job just as the Met is about to report on potential breaches of criminal law at the heart of government?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,240
    Dyson in trouble. About time. The hypocrites hypocrite!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The consequence of having an in-out referendum on membership of the EU continue to be appalling; as I predicted at the time, it will dominate political discourse for years on end.

And I was right. Even six years after the event, it is still a dominant topic of conversation on a significant proportion of PB threads. Six ******* years. Can't people let go?

Well, it's been a long time, and so far it has been uniformly disastrous, but that's about to change now: at last, Jacob Rees-Mogg is going to tell us what all the wonderful new opportunities are. I can't wait.
    There are loads of opportunities for merchant bankers and the like. For other people however.... not so many
    Not in terms of access to the single market, it was low paid workers in the Redwall and pensioners who won it for leave to reduce unskilled immigration and regain sovereignty, most of the City, especially the established firms, voted Remain.
    Please see my earlier post of sovereignty. Please provide evidence of your certainty of your assertions.
    UK Sovereignty is kept in ancient ceremonial trunk (once used by King Alfred for bed linens) that sits directly below the speakers chair in a chamber beneath the House of Commons. When bits of it were brought back from Brussels in a helicopter after Brexit was confirmed, it was added to the rest of the sovereignty held in the trunk. Sure, when bits of it was held in Brussels it gave us frictionless trade with EU, same passports freedom of movement and other stuff, many of us feel better, we feel much more free of diktat now we know sovereignty is whole again in the box under the commons. Nearly whole, we obviously still got bits of it still held by NATO, and other unions and bodies. And bits of it was “shaved off” for trade deals, using a ceremonial knife thing, one of the biggest shavers in UK political history is actually current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss - before she moved on to bigger things like fronting the Stop The War coalition to achieve world peace.

It’s about time remainers stopped worrying about the vote and love the freedoms.
    Heart of the matter, I think. There are no *tangible* benefits of Brexit, it's all in the mind. Which is not to say not real. People say this & that about why they voted R or L but it boiled down to the presence or absence of a specific feeling. A deeply personal one. Yes, we were a sovereign nation inside the EU, this is a fact, but millions of people as they went about their daily lives nevertheless felt oppressed by 'Brussels', they felt 'we' were being bossed around by 'them' (foreigners), and these people voted to leave. Those of us who didn't have that feeling voted to remain.
    As my mother robustly put it at the time, it's all very well voting not to be bossed around by awful little men in Brussels but you're just swapping them for equally awful little men in Whitehall.

The counter to that was yebbut we can get our own politicians out, which you have to laugh about given the FLSOJ's continued tenure in no 10.
    Your Ma was acute there. Being governed by 'our own' has never looked a less appetizing proposition than right now.
    The FLSOJ will be gone in 8 weeks. Good luck trying to shift Ursula VDL.
    Mind you, you could say the same of Biden in the US or Macron in France. In those cases, they're there for the term.
    “ Good luck trying to shift Ursula VDL “

Done it. 🙂. Where would you like her dropped, in this big blue box?

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,907
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Fair play to Starmer for calling out Stop the War. They are a bunch of Marxist Woke Quislings

I don’t like Starmer very much, but he is becoming increasingly sort-of-tolerable if you squint

Yes, that's what I think.
    And then I remember he voluntarily serves under Corbyn, and his people's vote stance, and the kneeling, and the jnots he tied himself in over the trans issue...
    So still some way to go before he can convince me. But more forward steps than backward ones.
    He's won me over. Quite remarkable how quickly he has purged Corbynism.

And those supposed misjudgements - relative to Johnson they are minor. It's just signalling, in the end. Making the right noises to keep the base on board.
    Well I'm not sure, tbh. The not following his own rules thing is egregious - yes, he has to go - but would I rather have someone who behaves disgracefully but makes the big calls right or who behaves impeccably but gets the big calls wrong (like his criticisms of the government not throwing in its lot with the European vaccination procurement scheme, or habitual calls at every stage for more and harder lockdown?) I honestly don't know.
    And yes, that is signalling, but signalling is important.

Look, I rate SKS, he is clearly intelligent and he clearly lives in the real world at least some of the time. He's trying to return his party to the real world too. But on covid - which has been pretty much the only story over the last two years - he has got the big calls wrong pretty much every time.
    I don't want Boris in charge. But nor do I want someone like Kier right now. We're still fighting to free ourselves from all the rules we have placed upon ourselves over the last two years, and his instincts are always for adding more, not taking them away. In comparison with his predecessor he's a very attractive prospect. But look at what his legislative instincts actually are and he worries me.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120

HYUFD said:

The consequence of having an in-out referendum on membership of the EU continue to be appalling; as I predicted at the time, it will dominate political discourse for years on end.

And I was right. Even six years after the event, it is still a dominant topic of conversation on a significant proportion of PB threads. Six ******* years. Can't people let go?

Well, it's been a long time, and so far it has been uniformly disastrous, but that's about to change now: at last, Jacob Rees-Mogg is going to tell us what all the wonderful new opportunities are. I can't wait.
    There are loads of opportunities for merchant bankers and the like. For other people however.... not so many
    Not in terms of access to the single market, it was low paid workers in the Redwall and pensioners who won it for leave to reduce unskilled immigration and regain sovereignty, most of the City, especially the established firms, voted Remain.
    Please see my earlier post of sovereignty. Please provide evidence of your certainty of your assertions.
    UK Sovereignty is kept in ancient ceremonial trunk (once used by King Alfred for bed linens) that sits directly below the speakers chair in a chamber beneath the House of Commons. When bits of it were brought back from Brussels in a helicopter after Brexit was confirmed, it was added to the rest of the sovereignty held in the trunk. Sure, when bits of it was held in Brussels it gave us frictionless trade with EU, same passports freedom of movement and other stuff, many of us feel better, we feel much more free of diktat now we know sovereignty is whole again in the box under the commons. Nearly whole, we obviously still got bits of it still held by NATO, and other unions and bodies. And bits of it was “shaved off” for trade deals, using a ceremonial knife thing, one of the biggest shavers in UK political history is actually current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss - before she moved on to bigger things like fronting the Stop The War coalition to achieve world peace.

It’s about time remainers stopped worrying about the vote and love the freedoms.
    make sure you keep up that repeat prescription
    I love it when the site lets me have some of the cheek usually reserved for Leon or Bart 😆
    Come on. That excellent stream of consciousness was about 27 MilliLeons on the Outrageous Offence Scale.

Edit: 1 Leon is a unit a bit like the Farad. Too big to be practical in normal circumstances and frankly bloody dangerous.
    So it’s not true it’s kept in a trunk beneath the Palace of Westminster? 😕
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,463

Scott_xP said:

This would need verification from @trussliz and her team. Did she misunderstand the Q? Was something lost in translation?
    Surely our Foreign Secretary wouldn't risk making the UK look foolish on a matter of basic geography?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1491795152272195587
    https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1491771623497777159

Rostov, Voronezh, Dover, Calais. The problem is not that Liz Truss did not recognise Russian place names, but that she decided to bullshit anyway. And that she'd not bothered to glance at a map during Foreign Office briefings or on the flight over. Assuming, of course, we can rely on the Russian account.
    As alleged by a reporter for a Moscow based newspaper owned by one Alisher Usmanov afaics...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Have we done this?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/10/my-heart-is-broken-death-of-marine-life-is-devastating-englands-fishing-industry

A fascinating mystery. Encompassing fishing, levelling up and the "Brexit bonus".
    Not in dispute, something is causing it. Whitby will be devastated. A town doesn't survive on Goths alone.

It is a horrible story, tho blaming it on Brexit is a bit of a reach
    No one is blaming Brexit AFAICS. However. Dredging the Tees for a Freeport (something which could have been done at any time) but loudly proclaimed as a Brexit dividend, is up there with the list of suspects.
    Law of unintended consequences if so. There can be no "levelling up" without disbenefits elsewhere. However much folk try to pretend otherwise.
    Having said that. Storm Arwen was devastating on the NE coast. The number of trees down was astonishing. Who knows what was churned up?
    I was chatting to a fisherman, who doubles driving for funerals, at my mother in Laws funeral in October. Portsmouth was dredged to make room for the carriers, and a million tons of silt dumped south of the Island. A storm blew it all over the lobster area, filling in all the crevasses that lobsters live in. His catches dropped by more than 80%, and he reckoned that the beds may take decades to recover.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,044
    Roger said:

Cancelled

Again?

Join the Conservatives and you'll be fine
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

I hadn't realised how precise the cosplay was. Is there some kind of instruction manual?

Lol

https://www.indy100.com/viral/margaret-thatcher-nicola-sturgeon-photos-similarities-referendum-scottish-photo-7662596
    What greasy pole is Sturgeon trying to get to the top of?
    Your estimation that she's the best PM the UK never had is perhaps her last remaining target.
    If Uk voters were offered tomorrow the choice of Sturgeon or the baffoon to lead the whole country, I sincerely doubt that there’d be any good betting opportunities on the odds on offer.
    Ha ha - there is No Fucking Way I'd vote for Sturgeon. I'd rather have Corbyn.
    It's not a great choice between Sturgeon and Johnson.

One is a landslide election winner with a dodgy haircut, who subverts their own rules, manages the country in a narrow, selfish sectarian interest focussed on increasing hate and division, who stands accused of subverting the judicial process and not telling the truth, and cannot quite account for large sums of money donated for reasons that remain rather unclear.

And even worse, the other is Boris Johnson.
    Ha ha - indeed.

Boris at least, if he despises me, does so in private. And he isn't attempting to regulate my thoughts. If he's attempting to government via a cult of personality he's going about it oddly. And he isn't forcing me to wear masks pointlessly just to differentiate himself from his neighbour. And even Boris hasn't proposed anything as mad as cutting the bottom off doors.
    I hadn't realised that you lived in Scotland and the SG had control over your life.
    No, I don't. I live in England, which is governed by an unpredictable buffoon, which is, I think, still preferable to a hypothetical situation in which Nicola Sturgeon was in charge.
    So proxy whining then.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,934
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Have we done this?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/10/my-heart-is-broken-death-of-marine-life-is-devastating-englands-fishing-industry

A fascinating mystery. Encompassing fishing, levelling up and the "Brexit bonus".
    Not in dispute, something is causing it. Whitby will be devastated. A town doesn't survive on Goths alone.

It is a horrible story, tho blaming it on Brexit is a bit of a reach
    No one is blaming Brexit AFAICS. However. Dredging the Tees for a Freeport (something which could have been done at any time) but loudly proclaimed as a Brexit dividend, is up there with the list of suspects.
    Law of unintended consequences if so. There can be no "levelling up" without disbenefits elsewhere. However much folk try to pretend otherwise.
    Having said that. Storm Arwen was devastating on the NE coast. The number of trees down was astonishing. Who knows what was churned up?
    I was chatting to a fisherman, who doubles driving for funerals, at my mother in Laws funeral in October. Portsmouth was dredged to make room for the carriers, and a million tons of silt dumped south of the Island. A storm blew it all over the lobster area, filling in all the crevasses that lobsters live in. His catches dropped by more than 80%, and he reckoned that the beds may take decades to recover.
    As silver lining the island did at least get a superfast broadband connection cable to the mainland, courtesy of the MoD budget.
This discussion has been closed.