Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Conservative Party’s Johnson problem – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited February 2022 in General
The Conservative Party’s Johnson problem – politicalbetting.com

Theresa May had also previously been more popular than her party, and substantially so. However, this was forever changed by the botched 2017 general election campaign, and thereafter she was generally seen in the same terms as her partyhttps://t.co/9cwH9Ak0uw pic.twitter.com/LDhhAxwlGR

Read the full story here

Comments

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Is there any data like this from previous in-government leadership switches? When the Tories dumped Thatcher and put in Major, or Blair gave up and handed over to Brown, did that change what people thought about their respective parties?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    edited January 2022
    "England Women need 54 runs to win"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/57192773
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    England women closing in on victory in Canberra.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    "Looking at the polling above you have to wonder if we might see a 2015 redux ..."

Surely you mean the opposite of redux?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Great thread TSE.

You also give me heart that if somehow the tories do get re-elected, they aren't all bad people.

Those who disagree with you like HYUFD should really read your thread carefully but I don't think they will. And therein lies your greatest peril. For as long as there are sufficiently large numbers, including writers at the Daily Mail, who believe Brand Boris is invincible then catastrophe awaits the party.

* And trying to tell them that he won anyway against an unelectable Jeremy Corbyn is like pushing water uphill
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10455119/Fulhams-clash-Blackpool-suspended-medical-emergency.html

Fulham announce death of fan who suffered a cardiac arrest in the stands during their Championship clash against Blackpool... and thank those who used flags to give the stricken supporter privacy when the match was stopped.

Something very odd is happening and I can’t work out what. From time to time you would hear that someone had died at a football match, but it was rare.

This season, not a match day goes by without a game being stopped because of someone being taken ill in the stands. Perhaps this always happened, and the players just played on but now that’s not considered acceptable. But it all seems very strange.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    And if you think Boris Johnson is unpopular in England, that ain’t nothing compared to the other 3 countries.

Boris Johnson - Net favourability

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

(Survation/Daily Mail; 25 January; sample size 1,117)
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Dickson, one country.

This talk of four nations or four countries is wrong, and not something the short-sighted buffoons of Westminster should encourage (obviously, I can see why a Scottish separatist would approve of such terms).
    - “… anyone but the Conservatives (ABC) tactical voting is back, Conservatives like myself remember how bad ABC voting was at the 1997 general election and subsequent elections until David Cameron stopped it being such an impediment.”

It only takes a tiny return to the traditional ABC voting behaviour of Scotland*, combined with rural SLD sympathisers drifting back ‘home’, for the Conservative & Unionist representation to be wiped out north of the border. Again.

‘Muscular Unionism’ has failed. Blame Gove.

(* in Scotland, it was Ruth Davidson rather than David Cameron who managed to temporarily slightly detoxify the brand.)
    That was a no ball. Typical cheating convicts.

Good morning, everyone.

This talk of four nations or four countries is wrong, and not something the short-sighted buffoons of Westminster should encourage (obviously, I can see why a Scottish separatist would approve of such terms).

HMQ
    HMG
    The Commons
    The Lords
    BBC (especially the BBC)

It is not difficult to find references to England, Scotland or Wales being nations or countries from Establishment figures and organisations. For the simple reason that they are. In a lot of ways they are all states too, as in distinct legal jurisdictions.

And that’s before you even get to us plebs and what we identify as. Statistics abound. DYOR.

It has always been one of the weirder attributes of Unionism that they love to howl at the moon. Howl all you like: the moon ain’t going anywhere.

British nationalists and British separatists have failed at lots of things, but their biggest failure has been their inability to eradicate England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and Englishness, Scottishness, Irishness and Welshness. They came very close in Wales, and Scotland wobbled during bits of the 18th century (the ‘North Britain’ thing did partially catch on for a while). But Victorian romanticism ended all such attempts: many iconic institutions, monuments etc which reinforce the 4 country identity were actually promulgated by the Victorian establishment. The current generation of Unionists can’t change any of that now. It’s far too late.
    edited January 2022
    England have lost 6 wickets for 26 runs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/57192773
    "England were cruising. They needed 45 from 60 balls with seven wickets left."
    tlg86 said:

convicts.

You always do this, using that term. You really are grotesque.

It's not funny, it's not clever, it's boorish.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    edited January 2022
    This National Insurance rise is going to be deeply unpopular once it starts to hit low income earners and the 'squeezed middle'. With rising inflation, fuel costs, food prices etc people are really going to feel it.

Sunak tried to distance himself from it recently but this joint piece in the Sunday Times today has him fully tied to it.
    Mr. Dickson, I'm from Yorkshire. I have no problem with various levels of identity. But UK politicians acting as if we already have international borders* between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (unless they actively want the UK to break up) is foolish.

*Yeah, the NI-GB trade border is dumb. Almost as if triggering Article 50 prematurely wasn't a clever idea, or making a peace deal that was contingent on us being in the EU forever wasn't terribly smart.
    Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

Don’t be such a snowflake.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    edited January 2022
    We might gather from the header that @TheScreamingEagles has been following Susie Dent's tweets.

Or someone else's retweets of her tweets. This paragraph is added solely to mollify Vanilla's broken formatting.

Good morning, everyone.

I can see why a Scottish separatist would approve of such terms).

I'm English and don't believe in the union. The four countries all have distinct histories and cultures and the union is an artificial device often used in subjugation and oppression.

I think each of the four nations should, if they wish, be separate.
    "Children aged seven to be taught that they are not ‘racially innocent’
    Brighton and Hove City Council accused of ‘indoctrinating’ children though five-year plan for anti-racist education system" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/29/children-aged-seven-taught-not-racially-innocent/
    Ms. Heathener, the approval of the terms by you and Mr. Dickson do suggest they're not necessarily in the interests of those who want the country to survive rather than splinter.
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

No it says a lot about you that you think it's okay to use derogatory terms of an entire nation and then label anyone disagreeing as a snowflake.

It's very disagreeable. Grow up and move on and stop tarring an entire nation with a silly, childish, outdated adjective.

Mr. Dickson, I'm from Yorkshire. I have no problem with various levels of identity. But UK politicians acting as if we already have international borders* between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (unless they actively want the UK to break up) is foolish.

*Yeah, the NI-GB trade border is dumb. Almost as if triggering Article 50 prematurely wasn't a clever idea, or making a peace deal that was contingent on us being in the EU forever wasn't terribly smart.

If I was a Unionist, I’d expend my time and effort imagining and implementing a better Union. I could be a terrific Unionist. I know exactly what is required. (For obvious reasons, I’m not going to expound my strategy here.)

But here’s a wee hint: it doesn’t involve banging on about Britain being “one country” (sic) or “one nation” (sic). That’s for the birds.
    Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

I'm English and don't believe in the union. The four countries all have distinct histories and cultures and the union is an artificial device often used in subjugation and oppression.

Do you consider the Barnett Formula to be oppressive?

FWIW I couldn’t care less about the Union. But first and foremost it is a currency union. Walk away from the union and you walk away from the pound.
    Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

No it says a lot about you that you think it's okay to use derogatory terms of an entire nation and then label anyone disagreeing as a snowflake.

It's very disagreeable. Grow up and move on and stop tarring an entire nation with a silly, childish, outdated adjective.
    It is a joke. I have no problem with POME or Le Rosbif either.
  • Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

They can but I see no recent evidence of subjugation and oppression. Of our recent Prime Ministers, for instance, Cameron is from a Scottish family, Blair was born and educated in Scotland, and Brown wholly Scottish. Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own legal systems and, as you say, cultures that have not been wiped out by centuries of colonial government.

Even impositions like the poll tax, which more than any other single factor set in train current movement to Scottish independence, hardly amounts to subjugation and oppression.
    Mr. Dickson, must beg to differ.

The foolish complacency (a hallmark of New Labour's approach to the UK) in establishing devolved political bodies everywhere that isn't England set up permanent political dividing lines. This naturally led to greater division. Likewise, using language that way promotes the idea of separation as if we're already parted.

As for 'banging on about it', well, you brought it up. And I disagreed with it. I know it's irksome when people disagree with one's view, but there we have it.

Given the complacency of previous politicians and the infantile, self-absorbed cretin currently squatting in Number 10, I'm not holding my breath for a great promotion of the union from those presently in power.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

And if you think Boris Johnson is unpopular in England, that ain’t nothing compared to the other 3 countries.

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

Those Welsh figures are quite bad, Scotland expectedly so, but Northern Ireland!
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

FWIW I couldn’t care less about the Union. But first and foremost it is a currency union. Walk away from the union and you walk away from the pound.
    HMQ might have opinions about it being first and foremost a currency union. Her realms were brought under one monarch in 1603, whereas the monetary union was implemented post-1707. She is monarch of many countries, few of which share a currency.

The Barnett Formula is a classic Whitehall “fix”: it’s implementation got rid of the annual squabbling.
  • Foxy said:

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

Those Welsh figures are quite bad, Scotland expectedly so, but Northern Ireland!
    Northern Ireland's voters do not expect politicians to dissemble or spin, let alone outright lie and bullshit. They can also spot a border down the Irish Sea despite Boris's repeated pledges that there would be none.

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

HMQ might have opinions about it being first and foremost a currency union. Her realms were brought under one monarch in 1603, whereas the monetary union was implemented post-1707. She is monarch of many countries, few of which share a currency.

The Barnett Formula is a classic Whitehall “fix”: it’s implementation got rid of the annual squabbling.
    She is monarch of many countries, few of which share a currency.

That completely undermines your point. An independent Scotland can keep HMQ as head of state. They can’t remain part of the pound currency union.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    tlg86 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10455119/Fulhams-clash-Blackpool-suspended-medical-emergency.html

Fulham announce death of fan who suffered a cardiac arrest in the stands during their Championship clash against Blackpool... and thank those who used flags to give the stricken supporter privacy when the match was stopped.

Something very odd is happening and I can’t work out what. From time to time you would hear that someone had died at a football match, but it was rare.

This season, not a match day goes by without a game being stopped because of someone being taken ill in the stands. Perhaps this always happened, and the players just played on but now that’s not considered acceptable. But it all seems very strange.

I think our attitude has probably changed. Gather tens of thousands of people together in one place and the chances of someone being taken seriously ill are quite high. In the past, we took the insensitive view that shit happens and the rest of us got on with our lives saying "at least he died doing something he loved".

We had a medical emergency at our parkrun last weekend. Doesn't happen very often but I'd guess at least once every year or so. And that's a few hundred relatively fit people.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    edited January 2022

Foxy said:

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

Northern Ireland's voters do not expect politicians to dissemble or spin, let alone outright lie and bullshit. They can also spot a border down the Irish Sea despite Boris's repeated pledges that there would be none.
    I'm pretty sure they do. After all, they vote for Sinn Fein and the DUP who continue to insist the IRA and UFF were jolly nice chaps who were forced to do some bad things due to the unfairness of a system.

What they didn't appreciate was being left in the very awkward limbo they've ended up in due to Boris Johnson's career-saving capitulation to the EU.

Foxy said:

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

Northern Ireland voters seem unusually naive in that case.

tlg86 said:

I think our attitude has probably changed. Gather tens of thousands of people together in one place and the chances of someone being taken seriously ill are quite high. In the past, we took the insensitive view that shit happens and the rest of us got on with our lives saying "at least he died doing something he loved".

We had a medical emergency at our parkrun last weekend. Doesn't happen very often but I'd guess at least once every year or so. And that's a few hundred relatively fit people.
    I think you may be right. I’ve noticed that it only happens in stands close to the pitch. I suspect if it happens in the upper tiers at the big grounds, the game will carry on.
  • Foxy said:

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

Northern Ireland voters seem unusually naive in that case.
    It was one of the complaints during the peace process that NI politicians could or would not string their constituents along in the hope of a better tomorrow.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    edited January 2022

England -30
    Wales -54
    Scotland -58
    N Ireland -77

The English figure is actually about the average UK figure for Prime Ministers over the last 45 years. And since in that time governments have generally gone on to be reelected and England is what matters, and Boris faces an uncharismatic opponent with no political judgement, I'm far from clear that things are as hopeless for Boris as many think.

That said, given the soft socialist policies he has implemented, the Party will be less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Good header.

In the age of covid and culture wars, on the verge of a major cost of living crisis, I’m not sure we’re going through a normal electoral cycle. The supplementaries in the polling certainly suggest that. However, given we now know how flawed the 2010-2015 polling was, I’m not clear when we last did go through what is regarded as a normal electoral cycle.

What’s more, I’d also argue that given the supine failure of all those Tory ministers and MPs, who know just how catastrophically bad Johnson is, to do anything about it, he probably is the best chance they have of turning things around.

My current sense is that we’re probably looking at a 2010-style GE result next time around, with Labour winning most seats but no majority. A propos other current discussions on here it would be interesting to see how the SNP plays that.
    Mr. Observer, if that happened, there could be a chance of a Lab-Lib coalition.
  • fox327fox327 Posts: 367
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I think you may be right. I’ve noticed that it only happens in stands close to the pitch. I suspect if it happens in the upper tiers at the big grounds, the game will carry on.
    We now live in a politically correct, squeamish culture. Being insensitive is a very serious social offence. I think the plunging birth rate is connected to this, but population decline takes decades and centuries so it is not yet a political issue. Population decline will take us back to a frontier society, in which the old values will return as the state shrinks.

The culture we live in today is very recent, and it has not stood the test of time. I am doubtful that it will survive.
  • Good morning, everyone.

No. We have one state - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The name of our state makes it perfectly clear we are not one country. We have devolved governments in several of the nations that make up the UK. We have separate legal systems in 3 of them, separate education systems, health systems, currencies. We play sports against each other, the "home nations".

So no, not one country.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

That completely undermines your point. An independent Scotland can keep HMQ as head of state. They can’t remain part of the pound currency union.
    What point? I made no point. I merely pointed out that HMQ might disagree.
  • tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

Little Englanders always say that.
    fox327 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

We now live in a politically correct, squeamish culture. Being insensitive is a very serious social offence. I think the plunging birth rate is connected to this, but population decline takes decades and centuries so it is not yet a political issue. Population decline will take us back to a frontier society, in which the old values will return as the state shrinks.

The culture we live in today is very recent, and it has not stood the test of time. I am doubtful that it will survive.
    At the moment, our population isn't projected to decline because immigration is expected to plug the gaps.

Russia, on the other hand, is currently going through an absolute horror show, where all the population declines of the last 70 years seem to be coming home to roost at once over Covid.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369

Good header.

In the age of covid and culture wars, on the verge of a major cost of living crisis, I’m not sure we’re going through a normal electoral cycle. The supplementaries in the polling certainly suggest that. However, given we now know how flawed the 2010-2015 polling was, I’m not clear when we last did go through what is regarded as a normal electoral cycle.

What’s more, I’d also argue that given the supine failure of all those Tory ministers and MPs, who know just how catastrophically bad Johnson is, to do anything about it, he probably is the best chance they have of turning things around.

My current sense is that we’re probably looking at a 2010-style GE result next time around, with Labour winning most seats but no majority. A propos other current discussions on here it would be interesting to see how the SNP plays that.

I suspect we’re heading to a 1992 result.

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

Out of interest, if somebody who wants Britain to leave the EU is a 'little Englander,' are supporters of Scottish independence (like yourself) 'little Scotlanders?'
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

Increased use of cocaine would explain a rise in heart attacks

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Point is, you don’t have to be in the union to have HMQ as head of state. You do have to be in the union to have the pound.

I’m sure HMQ would be upset if Scotland went independent. But it’s not a big concern of mine to be honest.

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

You don’t even have to criticise their country to be on the receiving end of the opprobrium. Last week I merely pointed out the an RAF base was located in England, and boy oh boy did they hit the roof.
  • Mr. Dickson, I'm from Yorkshire. I have no problem with various levels of identity. But UK politicians acting as if we already have international borders* between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (unless they actively want the UK to break up) is foolish.

That was always the elephant in the room and entertainingly still is. There is no United Kingdom trade zone any more - it used to encompass both the UK and the feudal Crown possessions like the Isle of Man and the two channel Bailiwicks. No longer - Boris abolished it.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    tlg86 said:

I know you’re the statistician not me… but often these things are reporting choices by the media and/or artificial patterns that the brain chooses to recall rather than anything more than anomalies in real life

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

I hope you appreciate the irony of the phrase little englander.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    EXC w/@cazjwheeler

Boris Johnson's PPS gave round-the-clock help to activists behind animal airlift from Kabul

She said she'd send docs to PM's office + even call Carrie Johnson to speed things up

Activist later texted Carrie thanking PM for his support
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/animal-activists-thanked-pm-and-wife-for-airlift-help-p8g0lv80j
    edited January 2022

tlg86 said:

I know you’re the statistician not me… but often these things are reporting choices by the media and/or artificial patterns that the brain chooses to recall rather than anything more than anomalies in real life
    No, something has changed. I don’t remember this happening before COVID. Now it’s happening every week.

EDIT: I’ve linked to a mail article, but I knew about it because the game was delayed for 30 mins. That’s how I know this is different.
    Mr. Pioneers, separate currencies?

I disagree with the rest of what you said as well, incidentally. Local laws do not a separate country make. Although the foolish dickery of constitutional tinkering inflicted on the UK by Labour has certainly deepened divisions.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    For those gloomy about this country and its government, or just generally because it's January, there's a really uplifting article in the Telegraph about the Hong Kongers who have started to pour in over the last year. Behind the paywall, but here are some sample sentences:

"Educated, motivated, often strongly Christian, with democratic ideals, good English and – importantly – not inconsiderable funds, they share a desire to make a new life and “not to be any trouble”...

Most now fleeing Hong Kong are bringing their money with them and are, as one technology company boss keen on employing as many as possible said last week: “Plug and play – they are ready to work, and work smartly, from day one. We have been hugely impressed.”...

There is another sub-theme, too; they are vocally grateful to Britain – and specifically to the Conservative Government – for letting them take refuge here and are patriotic towards their new country."

Somewhat to my surprise even the comments section is mostly in favour of letting them in so far.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/30/britain-attractive-thousands-fleeing-hong-kong/
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

No, something has changed. I don’t remember this happening before COVID. Now it’s happening every week.
    Do you know it didn’t happen pre-COVID? Or did the media just not report it?

I’m assuming you are talking about the medical incidents not that stopping of play
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

It can. A one-sided currency union in the short term is possible as we already have several of those. Understand that the "British Pound" is really the English Pound. Whilst the Bank of England is the central bank for the whole UK and dependencies, there are separate currency issues in Scotland, NI, Man, Jersey, Guernsey and Gibraltar.

As RBS, Ulster Bank et al have to lodge an equivalent value of gold / English banknotes with the Bank of England the defacto currency union works. Issue of paper currency is devolved out to the respective nations / dependencies.

As other - albeit smaller - non-UK nations manage to do this it is simply incorrect for you to state that not being a member of the UK means no sterling union. that already exists.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Do you know it didn’t happen pre-COVID? Or did the media just not report it?

I’m assuming you are talking about the medical incidents not that stopping of play
    I know because I watch a lot of football and look at the results. Yesterday I looked on my phone and saw that Fulham were only at 60 mins. This did not happen before COVID.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

tlg86 said:

Pat Nevin said the same on R5 yesterday. This has always happened, but only in recent times have we stopped the game, rather than getting the patient out of the way so they stop annoying everybody...
  • jonny83 said:

This National Insurance rise is going to be deeply unpopular once it starts to hit low income earners and the 'squeezed middle'. With rising inflation, fuel costs, food prices etc people are really going to feel it.

Sunak tried to distance himself from it recently but this joint piece in the Sunday Times today has him fully tied to it.

Yep. This is why I laugh at the "good old Boris has got through this now he powers onto victory" guff being spun by his remaining parrots. There is more shit to be thrown at him, he's become both a meme and a verb, and his policies are about to crap all over the aspirations of millions of Tory voters.

Note the attempt by Ravey Mikey Govey to give another £1.5bn in "brownfield" towns monies. Its money that's already been announced (cf Gordon Brown) and is on top of towns money that is already being criss crossed over many towns without actually being given. People are about to get reamed, and they aren't going to say thank you of course I will vote Tory again...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Morning all; glad to see you posting, Dr F. Are you feeling better?

Anyway, Yorkshire is 'different'. Fact. However my 'girl from Essex' eldest granddaughter prefers living there.
  • IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Increased use of cocaine would explain a rise in heart attacks
    If someone had a heart attack in olden times, there was not much to be done outside hospital. Now, defibrillators are ubiquitous; large clubs, with large crowds, have teams of medics on hand, not just the physio with his magic sponge.
    Fishing said:

For those gloomy about this country and its government, or just generally because it's January, there's a really uplifting article in the Telegraph about the Hong Kongers who have started to pour in over the last year. Behind the paywall, but here are some sample sentences:

"Educated, motivated, often strongly Christian, with democratic ideals, good English and – importantly – not inconsiderable funds, they share a desire to make a new life and “not to be any trouble”...

Most now fleeing Hong Kong are bringing their money with them and are, as one technology company boss keen on employing as many as possible said last week: “Plug and play – they are ready to work, and work smartly, from day one. We have been hugely impressed.”...

There is another sub-theme, too; they are vocally grateful to Britain – and specifically to the Conservative Government – for letting them take refuge here and are patriotic towards their new country."

Somewhat to my surprise even the comments section is mostly in favour of letting them in so far.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/30/britain-attractive-thousands-fleeing-hong-kong/

I have Hong Kong refugees living next door. I'm tempted not to say they are very nice people, as it sort of implies that I might think that people of some ethnicities are not very nice people - but they are. They are also not your usual sort of refugee, as they apparently paid a year's rent in advance and drive a new BMW.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127
    Intriguing trial balloon from Javid to nationalise General Practice. What do people think?

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

It can. A one-sided currency union in the short term is possible as we already have several of those. Understand that the "British Pound" is really the English Pound. Whilst the Bank of England is the central bank for the whole UK and dependencies, there are separate currency issues in Scotland, NI, Man, Jersey, Guernsey and Gibraltar.

As RBS, Ulster Bank et al have to lodge an equivalent value of gold / English banknotes with the Bank of England the defacto currency union works. Issue of paper currency is devolved out to the respective nations / dependencies.

As other - albeit smaller - non-UK nations manage to do this it is simply incorrect for you to state that not being a member of the UK means no sterling union. that already exists.
    I guess it depends on what Scotland aspires to post-independence.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Point is, you don’t have to be in the union to have HMQ as head of state. You do have to be in the union to have the pound.

I’m sure HMQ would be upset if Scotland went independent. But it’s not a big concern of mine to be honest.
    Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

All have a local pound. All are not part of the United Kingdom. You keep making this point which is simply wrong.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    rkrkrk said:

Intriguing trial balloon from Javid to nationalise General Practice. What do people think?

Somethings got to change with the GP system
    ydoethur said:

fox327 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

At the moment, our population isn't projected to decline because immigration is expected to plug the gaps.

Russia, on the other hand, is currently going through an absolute horror show, where all the population declines of the last 70 years seem to be coming home to roost at once over Covid.
    And from the excess deaths data, they may have lost up to 1% of their population to Covid. Even the official stats people say it is twice the "died with" figure of over 300,000 and it could be twice that again.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

All have a local pound. All are not part of the United Kingdom. You keep making this point which is simply wrong.
    Well, if that’s what an independent Scotland aspires to be...
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    rkrkrk said:

That part of the NHS is falling apart with the NHS already doing huge amounts of the work via the urgent care work that many A&E departments now offer to reduce demand on A&E staff and services.

Alongside that a lot of GP services are equally struggling to find GPS and being a Locum is easier and earns roughly the same if not more so it would surprise me if a fair number of GP services will happily sign up.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

EDIT: I’ve linked to a mail article, but I knew about it because the game was delayed for 30 mins. That’s how I know this is different.
    average premiership /championship attendance is (no idea really) about 25-30K ??? Average age of a spectator (again no idea really ) but say 40-45 (with a wide spread). I would guess the average health of a fan is slightly worse than average as very male orientated and not that physically active (they are watching sport not playing it in their spare time) . A human lives on average for about 30000 days so not that unexpected to get a death amongst a crowd that big at some game (maybe 20 games played over a weekend in the two leagues) quite frequently.

Same with a mass Marathon - somebody dies fairly frequently due to sheer numbers doing a slightly risky activity.

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Jonathan said:

Good header.

Instinctively I would agree, but the actual evidence for that is scant. The economy, for the voting public is going to be horrendous over the next two years unless I am very much mistaken.

The recent wallpaper and parties revelations in themselves are froth (although the misleading Parliament issues would have, in previous administrations had severe consequences) however taken in conjunction with repossessed homes, cars and the burgeoning use of food banks they might bite the Conservatives, under Johnson or anyone else.

Although, as the Johnsonians say on here "Boris is a lucky General"...
  • Mr. Pioneers, separate currencies?

I disagree with the rest of what you said as well, incidentally. Local laws do not a separate country make. Although the foolish dickery of constitutional tinkering inflicted on the UK by Labour has certainly deepened divisions.

Disagree all you like. You are confusing "nation" and "state". We are a multi-national state - made very clear with the AND in the title. With two completely separate legal, health and education systems in the Great Britain bit (itself a former multi-national state). With three other non-state micro nations in our territorial control.
    Mr. Pioneers, Scotland has a financial sector that is proportionally larger than England's.

Without a formal currency union they would require a massive sum in reserve assets to offset the potential for a banking crisis.

No British (ex-Scotland) politician is going to try and persuade the electorate south of the border that being on the hook for hundreds of billions, if not trillions, to support the recently departed Scotland's now rival financial sector is a clever idea.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

Certainly in the IOM and Gibraltar, which I have visited recently, their local pound seems to be freely convertible with the GBP at a 1:1 rate.

So they are not really independent currencies any more than a Bank of Scotland £10 note is.

tlg86 said:

Pat Nevin said the same on R5 yesterday. This has always happened, but only in recent times have we stopped the game, rather than getting the patient out of the way so they stop annoying everybody...
    The same A&E doctor has saved 2 lives this year at football grounds. I suspect the excitement is enough to trigger a heart attack. What I would want to know here is whether the ground had a defibrillator available as they aren’t exactly expensive in the scheme of things.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    edited January 2022

jonny83 said:

Yep. This is why I laugh at the "good old Boris has got through this now he powers onto victory" guff being spun by his remaining parrots. There is more shit to be thrown at him, he's become both a meme and a verb, and his policies are about to crap all over the aspirations of millions of Tory voters.

Note the attempt by Ravey Mikey Govey to give another £1.5bn in "brownfield" towns monies. Its money that's already been announced (cf Gordon Brown) and is on top of towns money that is already being criss crossed over many towns without actually being given. People are about to get reamed, and they aren't going to say thank you of course I will vote Tory again...
    Michael Gove's announcement in the House of Commons Mail on Sunday includes this line:
    Since 2015, because of an absurd set of rules I inherited, we have spent over £1.6 billion of public money on land and infrastructure for housing in the South East, and less than £150 million in the North East.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10455805/Michael-Gove-unveils-plan.html

From whom did Gove inherit this "absurd set of rules" in *checks notes aka wikipedia* September 2021? This is classic Borisism, running against Conservative predecessors.
  • Mr. Pioneers, Scotland has a financial sector that is proportionally larger than England's.

Without a formal currency union they would require a massive sum in reserve assets to offset the potential for a banking crisis.

No British (ex-Scotland) politician is going to try and persuade the electorate south of the border that being on the hook for hundreds of billions, if not trillions, to support the recently departed Scotland's now rival financial sector is a clever idea.

It would be a shit show - I'm not an advocate for it (an independent Scotland would need to join the Eurozone). My point was that when @tlg86 keeps saying "you have to be part of the UK to use the pound" it simply isn't true.

You do raise an interesting point though - Scotland does have a massive financial sector. The idea that Scotland would be an impoverished hell with no resources and no income now that oil is smaller than it was isn't true either.

I come back to basics - the union in its current form no longer works. We either remake it fit for the future of we will lose Scotland and NI and even the England still won't be happy with what is left. Balkanisation is not the way forward - partnership is. So lets remake the union into one where the 4 home nations are partners not 3 being supplicants to the 4th.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

I don’t believe Guernsey orJersey money is accepted in UK shops though, while Scottish and Ulster notes are. @CarlottaVance would know

There is a clear difference in status between the various pounds. My recollection is that the “Scottish” pound is purely a different physical printing of the same currency
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

Certainly in the IOM and Gibraltar, which I have visited recently, their local pound seems to be freely convertible with the GBP at a 1:1 rate.

So they are not really independent currencies any more than a Bank of Scotland £10 note is.
    Not at all independent - they are in a one-sided currency union. But to go back to my point - tlg said you can't use the pound if you're not in the UK. And yet here we are with non-UK nationlets using their own pound. Even Scotland and NI use their own pound - the English pund is freely usable in their nations but not in reverse.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

This debate over currency feels like most of the Brexit debates. It's not going to be as bad/good as either side claims, and it's hard to explain to people. Even people with a base in economics don't really get it (me included).

The bigger question is the border. It's tangible, proven to awkward as fuck by Brexit, and Scotland is hyper vulnerable to it (see the M74 closure during the Beast from the East).
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    edited January 2022

Jonathan said:

Good header.

Instinctively I would agree, but the actual evidence for that is scant. The economy, for the voting public is going to be horrendous over the next two years unless I am very much mistaken.

The recent wallpaper and parties revelations in themselves are froth (although the misleading Parliament issues would have, in previous administrations had severe consequences) however taken in conjunction with repossessed homes, cars and the burgeoning use of food banks they might bite the Conservatives, under Johnson or anyone else.

Although, as the Johnsonians say on here "Boris is a lucky General"...
    For Labour to win there has to be more than distrust and dislike of the Conservatives there has to be trust and enthusiasm for Labour. The Conservatives will ram a wedge into any doubts and if the economy is rocky, they will run on a safety first ticket. Labour needs a huge lead to withstand that.

In my view the events of the past month have made a victory possible, but Labour have a long way to go and a Gordian knot to untangle to avoid a close but no cigar result. How do they mitigate fear and stoke a bit of enthusiasm? They have just two years and are surrounded by enemies and have a Cobyniite fifth column who delight in failure.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Scottish Nationalists rarely talk about ending the Union of the Crowns, so it's natural to assume that when talking about The Union, one is talking about the Union of the Act of Union - the political and economic union.

The Barnett Formula is arguably the most misunderstood thing in British politics.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

One thing I don't get is why politicians (and presumably the public) are so down on telephone appointments...

Personally I find they are way more convenient. Is it just me?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

jonny83 said:

The Guardian blowing the whistle on this being a recycled money con. BBC reporting as per Government press release.

One or other is fake news
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

Yeah, Little Englanders always start the ‘you DO know the historical origin of the phrase don’t you?’ patter.

Hey man, it is a joke, don’t be such a snowflake.
  • IDS on Talking Pints with Farage.

IDS i always worth listening to as a conviction and dignified politician I feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUk7aQUqkQ
    Mr. Pioneers, that sounds like you support the creation of an English Parliament, with Westminster's Commons having an equal number of MPs from each constituent part?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911

Mr. Pioneers, Scotland has a financial sector that is proportionally larger than England's.

I agree with this in principle. But, in the short term, the UK Gov would face a massive problem.

Everyone in England will run on the "Scottish banks". There will be whispers about RBS taking down NatWest, and BoS taking out Lloyds/Halifax. These are UK institutions, but your gammony Englishman isn't going to think like that.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

convicts.

Yeah, Little Englanders always start the ‘you DO know the historical origin of the phrase don’t you?’ patter.

Hey man, it is a joke, don’t be such a snowflake.
    Good. Well, you’ll be pleased to know that i am very much a little englander in the traditional sense. :)

The odd thing is, I’m on your side - certainly in terms of wanting another sindy ref (even though I’m not bothered which way it goes). And yet, you don’t seem to be very pleasant to me. Why is that?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

If it's nationalised then it will be a bit easier to implement wholesale reform. So it's arguably a necessary first step.

jonny83 said:

The Guardian blowing the whistle on this being a recycled money con. BBC reporting as per Government press release.

The Government has shall we say form in treating unspent (heck slightly unfinished projects) as new money / projects so shall we just say they have previous form so I would trust the Guardian
    Mr. Eabhal, could be wrong but I was under the impression that Halifax/BoS was currently registered in Scotland rather than England.

Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but casual racism towards the English is not necessarily a fantastically persuasive approach. Unless you're trying to persuade people you really dislike Englishman, of course...
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

I don’t believe Guernsey orJersey money is accepted in UK shops though, while Scottish and Ulster notes are. @CarlottaVance would know

There is a clear difference in status between the various pounds. My recollection is that the “Scottish” pound is purely a different physical printing of the same currency
    The Scottish banks print their own notes but they are backed 1:1 by BOE issued currency. The Scottish notes aren't legal tender in England but IIRC the BOE ones aren't, either, it's not a concept that has legal meaning in England as I recall. I've never had any problem using Scottish money in London, FWIW.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited January 2022

It would be a shit show - I'm not an advocate for it (an independent Scotland would need to join the Eurozone). My point was that when @tlg86 keeps saying "you have to be part of the UK to use the pound" it simply isn't true.

You do raise an interesting point though - Scotland does have a massive financial sector. The idea that Scotland would be an impoverished hell with no resources and no income now that oil is smaller than it was isn't true either.

I come back to basics - the union in its current form no longer works. We either remake it fit for the future of we will lose Scotland and NI and even the England still won't be happy with what is left. Balkanisation is not the way forward - partnership is. So lets remake the union into one where the 4 home nations are partners not 3 being supplicants to the 4th.
    I'm sorry but this is my day job (and banking, financial services, and insurance after independence is something I've several years working on.)

Scotland's financial services sector will be utterly screwed by independence.

Now first of all there's issues of the lender of last resort which pretty fundamental there's also the issue that plenty in the independence movement have said is that an independent Scotland will walk away with no debt if it doesn't get a good deal, so if you think a sovereign nation's first act will be to not honour its debt and have the financial services sector to trust it is a courageous move.

We won't be living in the fantasy world of an independent Scotland telling the Bank of England what to do, even if it contradicts what is good for RUK, leaving aside the illegality of the BoE following instructions from someone other than HMG/The Chancellor.

A currency union in this scenario only works properly with the consent of everyone in it.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

These are minuscule bailiwicks. They can use sterling because (a) they're dependencies and, more to the point, (b) they're so tiny that their behaviour poses no conceivable risk to the financial stability of the United Kingdom. The comparison between the circumstances of, for example, St Helena (a remote rock in the South Atlantic with the population of a large village) and a sovereign Scotland (a significant European state about the size of Norway) is therefore risible.

Putting it succinctly, in the event of a split the English taxpayer will not be standing as backstop/milch cow/lender of last resort for Scotland. The prospect of a formal currency union after secession is nil.

To borrow a phrase, post-independence Scotland won't get to cherry pick all the parts of the dead Union that it still likes. Its options are to adopt somebody else's money (ours, the Euro, the Dollar, whatever) or to establish a central bank and print its own. To pretend otherwise is to adopt a Johnsonian attitude to obvious realities.
    edited January 2022

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

average premiership /championship attendance is (no idea really) about 25-30K ??? Average age of a spectator (again no idea really ) but say 40-45 (with a wide spread). I would guess the average health of a fan is slightly worse than average as very male orientated and not that physically active (they are watching sport not playing it in their spare time) . A human lives on average for about 30000 days so not that unexpected to get a death amongst a crowd that big at some game (maybe 20 games played over a weekend in the two leagues) quite frequently.

Same with a mass Marathon - somebody dies fairly frequently due to sheer numbers doing a slightly risky activity.

The only thing that has changed is that previously the incident would be left to the local St Johns Ambulance to deal with but now the appropriate thing is for the football teams trained medical staff to react to the heart attack. So they are news because the match is clearly delayed but they also end up being good news stories as most of the time the quick response results in the life being saved.
  • Eabhal said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

Good morning, everyone.

Isle of Man
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Bailiwick of Guernsey
    St Helena
    Gibraltar
    Falkland Islands

This debate over currency feels like most of the Brexit debates. It's not going to be as bad/good as either side claims, and it's hard to explain to people. Even people with a base in economics don't really get it (me included).

The bigger question is the border. It's tangible, proven to awkward as fuck by Brexit, and Scotland is hyper vulnerable to it (see the M74 closure during the Beast from the East).
    I'm a federalist hoping to remake a union fit for the future, not a secessionist. But I agree the border would be an issue now.

But...

As the border now is unworkable and will need to be changed, I work on the assumption that a hypothetical Eng / Sco border would use the same fized Border Operating Model as will be implemented between GB and EU.
  • jonny83 said:

Gove have already accepted it was a recycled annoucement.
This discussion has been closed.