Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Monday’s going to be a big day for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited January 2022 in General
imageMonday’s going to be a big day for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Clearly this is a period of high danger for Johnson. With CON MP’s returning to Westminster they will be able to report on the reaction in their constituencies to what came out before the weekend. My guess is that a collective view will emerge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Streaming - who can be bothered faffing around with a bloody computer/device?

I love my Virgin Cable multiroom. Proper tellies in various spots around my house, can search for everything or watch live.

Proper remote controls, loads of dedicated storage that each box shares with the other. All the sports in one place, iPlayer, Netflix and Prime in a single hub.

That is called Sky Glass TV...not even a separate box, just plug in and off you go. All tellies have or will go this way.
    No, Sky are onto a huge money loser with Glass. The TVs are shite and people want their Samsung, Sony and LG OLED TVs and there's no way the big three bother with a custom firmware for the UK, Ireland, Germany and Italy. The cost for Sky per unit would be massive and there's also no chance that the major manufacturers will allow Sky to customise their software aftermarket.

They need an all internet box of their own like Apple or Amazon but to also not completely devalue their offering. A TV that people don't want because it's a rebadged Hisense with Sky Q as the software interface isn't going to cut it.
    They won't need custom firmware, surely just have an app in the same way as every other service like Netflix. They are all running andriod underneath.

I don't see why your tv just becomes an internet capable device same as an ipad and you stick your entertainment apps on. Amazon Firestick already is this.
  • Options
    Second like the Tories
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    EXCL: Our @benglaze reveals that Boris Johnson attended yet another No 10 leaving bash in run-up to Christmas 2020 - that of defence adviser Steve Higham, now captain of Britain’s biggest warship. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/new-no10-party-revealed-boris-25962670
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I love my Virgin Cable multiroom. Proper tellies in various spots around my house, can search for everything or watch live.

Proper remote controls, loads of dedicated storage that each box shares with the other. All the sports in one place, iPlayer, Netflix and Prime in a single hub.

That is called Sky Glass TV...not even a separate box, just plug in and off you go. All tellies have or will go this way.
    No, Sky are onto a huge money loser with Glass. The TVs are shite and people want their Samsung, Sony and LG OLED TVs and there's no way the big three bother with a custom firmware for the UK, Ireland, Germany and Italy. The cost for Sky per unit would be massive and there's also no chance that the major manufacturers will allow Sky to customise their software aftermarket.

They need an all internet box of their own like Apple or Amazon but to also not completely devalue their offering. A TV that people don't want because it's a rebadged Hisense with Sky Q as the software interface isn't going to cut it.
    They won't need custom firmware, surely just have an app in the same way as every other service like Netflix. They are all running andriod underneath.
    That's not really something people are going to pay £70 a month for though. An Android TV app competes with £8/m Disney+ and £12/m Netflix.
    That's why i said I thought Sky were in trouble long term on the last thread. My point was more you tv isn't an over the air device, its will be an internet device that has all your entertainment needs all contained in the single "box". No extra satellite dish / decoder box plus an amazon firestick or google chrome. Just a single internet capable tv.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    If Higham goes, surely Johnson goes as well.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    edited January 2022

MaxPB said:

I don't see why your tv just becomes an internet capable device same as an ipad and you stick your entertainment apps on. Amazon Firestick already is this.
    The issue is how the different companies restrict us loading apps or updating versions. For example, the Amazon Firestick is good but you cannot stream Sky Sports through it because Sky wants to control the ecosystem. If you've bought the ability to view content then you want to be able to view/cast it to any device and load any apps you like on the hardware you've bought. They need to work out the digital rights management so this is possible.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Our @benglaze reveals that Boris Johnson attended yet another No 10 leaving bash in run-up to Christmas 2020 - that of defence adviser Steve Higham, now captain of Britain’s biggest warship. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/new-no10-party-revealed-boris-25962670

I heard that some time ago to be honest
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Scott_xP said:

In the Mirror, no Tories read the Mirror anyway
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Scott_xP said:

So he's getting the armed forces pissed as well?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    geoffw said:

"defeating the discredited figures of Livingstone and Corbyn is perhaps not such a big deal."
    Déjà vu all over again. This repeats a statement in the header which was discussed a week or two ago. Livingston was not "discredited" when first defeated by BJ.

Indeed, Boris is the only Tory ever to win the London Mayoralty and the only Tory alive to have won a UK general election with a majority over 50.

Dispensing with him must only be an absolute last resort and even then only if it is certain Sunak will replace him
  • Options
    edited January 2022

The issue is how the different companies restrict us loading apps or updating versions. For example, the Amazon Firestick is good but you cannot stream Sky Sports through it because Sky wants to control the ecosystem. If you've bought the ability to view content then you want to be able to view/cast it to any device and load any apps you like on the hardware you've bought. They need to work out the digital rights management so this is possible.

Yes, but i don't think that approach will hold for Sky. Bt have given in on their blockade. There is Now TV which is owned by Sky and available as an app. Sky are trying this Glass approach instead to try and tie people in, but not sure that will work.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

"defeating the discredited figures of Livingstone and Corbyn is perhaps not such a big deal."
    Déjà vu all over again. This repeats a statement in the header which was discussed a week or two ago. Livingston was not "discredited" when first defeated by BJ.

Indeed, Boris is the only Tory ever to win the London Mayoralty and the only Tory alive to have won a UK general election with a majority over 50.

Dispensing with him must only be an absolute last resort
    It is an absolute last resort...
  • Options
    FPT (commenting on Eabhal's comment, that BBC screwed up a very simple bit of authenticity re: show about Duke of Argyll divorce, so that - I paraphras - if they couldn't bother to get it right, they deserved to be sold off.)

Surely NOT too high a standard for the BBC? Surely NOT for those of us admirers and consumers!

For Americans of a certain age, it's an abbreviation that immediately summons to mind - freedom, integrity and the best of British.

> A free people with free institutions (warts and all) with high standards of reliability & responsibility.
    > Broadcasting truth (or a reasonably facsimile) to the world, including men and women huddled in front of their radios, listening under threat of arrest or worse for the word in a bit of code ("berce mon coeur d'une langueur monotone") to go out into the night to strike another blow for freedom versus tyranny.
    > And doing it in a classically British way; indeed, for us perhaps THE definition of what "British" is all about (beyond red coats, powdered wigs and warm beer that is).

Totally romantic crap. And very positive, appealing crap we are loath to abandon, even if we could.

One reason for the great success of British content on PBS most notably in the early days (1960-70s) "Masterpiece Theater" which BTW was probably my mother's favorite TV series of all time (next to "I Love Lucy"). And also for making Monty Python and Doctor Who huge hits with the next generation(s).

NOTE that for most Americans (even those who know better) "BBC" means anything British that's broadcast. Like saying generic use of coke (as in the beverage) or the way you say "hoover"

Brits have every right - and apparently many good(ish) grounds - for criticizing-abusing-denouncing the Beeb. But do NOT be shocked when it rolls like Malvern water off a mallard's back.
  • Options
    What have they sprinkled on that turd in the pic to make it palatable?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited January 2022
    Just for you @HYUFD

Robert Syms, the conservative mp for Poole is considering joining those who have submitted letters telling the Telegraph

'Like my colleague, Tim Loughton, I am considering whether or not I aught to put in a letter'

He added

'I have had e mails from what I would call Christian, decent, honest, honourable types of conservative voters who say they feel embarrassed about voting conservative with Boris Johnson'

Why aren't you embarrassed
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@HYUFD
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Dispensing with him must only be an absolute last resort and even then only if it is certain Sunak will replace him
    At last you are on board with Rishi
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    "Christian, decent, honest, honourable types of conservative voters.'
    Good grief.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The Mirror story by the standards of the rule breaking and partying going on is very weak. Bloke left, Boris said a few words in company of a small group. Doesn't sound like a party as such, certainly no suggestion it was DJ Big Dog on the decks.

Its obvious more ignoring their own rules, but doesn't move the story on.

They real deal sealer is the Big Dog photoed absolutely shit faced at one of these parties.
  • Options

Yes, but i don't think that approach will hold for Sky. Bt have given in on their blockade. There is Now TV which is owned by Sky and available as an app. Sky are trying this Glass approach instead to try and tie people in, but not sure that will work.
    It won't work. I know one of the Sky project managers and argued with him about this. I told him that I want to control the apps on all my devices and was told that I was niche and would have to accept what I was given. My guess is that he's wrong in the medium to long term.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Good grief.

The consciences of Christian, decent, honest, honourable Tories know nothing of such wordly things as polls of course.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I think it's a still from next year's "I'm a Celebrity"
  • Options
    edited January 2022

It won't work. I know one of the Sky project managers and argued with him about this. I told him that I want to control the apps on all my devices and was told that I was niche and would have to accept what I was given. My guess is that he's wrong in the medium to long term.
    They will be going bust then....Sky lose the footie and they are in big trouble anyway, and its totally in the power of the EPL to decide to bring it in house and go streaming. There are lots of hurdles to this, but other sports are edging that way, and the upside to cutting out the middle man is potentially enormous.

As Max says if they are going streaming and you have to have their second grade telly lots of people aren't going to be happy with that. They paid £5k for a OLED or QLED telly and now you say I can't watch Sky unless I buy another telly and £100 a month. Tough sell.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
  • Options
    edited January 2022

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

The consciences of Christian, decent, honest, honourable Tories know nothing of such wordly things as polls of course.
    Of the potential leadership candidate alternatives to Boris (a Roman Catholic), as far as I can see only Hunt and Raab are Christians (and Raab is half Jewish). Both are Church of England.

Sunak is Hindu, as is Patel and Javid is Muslim and Truss does not seem to have any religion at all, at least in terms of active participation in it
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Second like the Tories

Fourth or fifth at this rate :D
  • Options
    With respect to the Gray Report, my impression is that

> If she tries to, as Sarah Palin used to say (remember her?) "put lipstick on a pig", many Tory MPs are quite prepared to call the report a whitewash, or at very least less than fully persuasive. OR are in process of girding their loins to do so.

> On the other hand, if she documents and provides a convenient summary of Dumb and Dumber in Downing Street, then same MPs will be delighted or relieved but certainly willing and able to cite it as reason for parting ways with the PM.

More importantly, Nick P made very cogent points at end of previous thread, re: backlash versus too much piling on.

Certainly think MPs and other spokespeople for Labour and other opposition parties are advised to be very circumspect in their reactions and rhetoric: think before you speak - and speak as little as possible.

Let the Tories do the talking. Leave the chatter from peanut galleries to likes of the rest of us on PB & etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    When it comes to sports streaming, Disney is sitting there already owning ESPN and they bought the tech company who ran all of MLB streaming network, and have more money then god to buy rights if they want to.

In the US they already offering triple play, ESPN+, Hulu and Disney+ streaming package. So you get the sports, the kids content and growns up telly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    dixiedean said:

Good grief.

I was wondering why he focuses on such a small subset of them, myself?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Interesting case of the Last Resort being compelled by the Last Chance Saloon?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Good job they can read about it on here, then.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

Of the potential leadership candidate alternatives to Boris (a Roman Catholic), as far as I can see only Hunt and Raab are Christians (and Raab is half Jewish). Both are Church of England.

Sunak is Hindu, as is Patel and Javid is Muslim and Truss does not seem to have any religion at all, at least in terms of active participation in it
    Javid is an atheist ISTR albeit from a Muslim background.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

He says he now no longer practices his religion actively, as far as I can see he has never said he is an atheist
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

Re: Truss, what about the Church of What's Happening Now?

Flip Wilson Show - The Church Of What's Happening Now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJati2W7uA
  • Options

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

The Last Resort may have a beach to get washed up on...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

He says he now no longer practices his religion actively, as far as I can see he has never said he is an atheist
    Looking it up, it seems to be between those two poles. He says he doesn’t practice any religion, implying he doesn’t have a religion. Although, as you say, he hasn’t actually said he is an atheist.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

"Boris (a Roman Catholic)"

Genuine LOL.

I guess his only problem with the catholic church he joined in order to get married is that you only get to offload your sins at confession once a week whereas he would prefer an hourly option.
  • Options

LOL.

But no, even the z list celebs are actually technically celebs rather than utter social pariahs.
  • Options
    Who in Whitehall gave Bozza the moniker Big Dog?

Was it the Bozzatron himself perchance?
  • Options

Perhaps Carrie after a night of passion?
  • Options

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

The John Stonehouse solution?

I suppose it might come to that.
  • Options

LOL.

But no, even the z list celebs are actually technically celebs rather than utter social pariahs.
    Lord Brocket, Christine Hamilton, Carol Thatcher, even Nadine have appeared on that show
  • Options

The Mirror story by the standards of the rule breaking and partying going on is very weak. Bloke left, Boris said a few words in company of a small group. Doesn't sound like a party as such, certainly no suggestion it was DJ Big Dog on the decks.

Its obvious more ignoring their own rules, but doesn't move the story on.

They real deal sealer is the Big Dog photoed absolutely shit faced at one of these parties.

I'm coming to the view that the now near mythical grassy knoll photo doesn't matter now. The damage is so deep and so visceral with the voters that he is done. If you disrespect the Queen to that level then you are toast.

Just a matter of when not if.
  • Options
    UK plans to drop law which requires people to self-isolate after catching COVID-19 - The Telegraph
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379

I don't know, but he's eating a drumstick!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL.

Lord Brocket, Christine Hamilton, Carol Thatcher, even Nadine have appeared on that show
    None of them as hated as Johnson is now.

I doubt he will be able to properly appear in public again in years without being boo-ed and chanted at.

I really don't think you see the anger out here in middle england.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps Carrie after a night of passion?
    Cheeky!

(Actually, hasn't one of his lady friends nicknamed him Alexander the Great? Can't remember- and really don't want to try- if it was Carrie or the Fruity American Lady.)
  • Options

LOL.

From my POV, at least I would have actually heard of him, which is more than I can say for many of the I’m A Celeb contestants.
  • Options

UK plans to drop law which requires people to self-isolate after catching COVID-19 - The Telegraph

Now that IS a big story.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    One interesting thing will be the reaction, if they happen, to the mooted moves to sack staff. I think the Operation Big Dog team may be underestimating quite what a bad look sacking the help over your own mistakes is. Certainly if the reaction is negative and he looks like he's ratting on his mates, he's in even more trouble.

It's a bit like with late-period Gordon Brown when people had decided he'd lost it and even moves that would have gone down well from a generic Labour politician came across as desperate flailing because most people had made their minds up that they disliked him - despite having thought him a strong leader less than a year earlier and a very good chancellor for much of the previous decade.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Good grief.

That such good folk naturally curdle the creams in your tea of many of us allergic to Toryism is natural, but immaterial

Correctly me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the heart and (dare I say?) soul of the Conservative base vote?

Personally am quite sure the lion's share of UK Conservatives, like US Republicans, are indeed decent, honest and honorable. Including Evanglicals, which I think are what the guy (mostly) meant by Christian.

Of course they often get misled & used by less-commendable types. As observed by Abraham Lincoln.
  • Options
    Labour need to get all over this. Who is their culture spokesperson?

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h
    'Vote Conservative to end the BBC' doesn't sound like an election-winning slogan, does it?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Boris to use the Navy to stop border crossings of migrants and ban boozing at No 10 and fire failing advisers as he begins a relaunch. Growth will also be turbocharged across the North and Midlands

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17344129/boris-johnson-royal-navy-migrant-channel-crossings/https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17344129/boris-johnson-royal-navy-migrant-channel-crossings/

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

I don't know, but he's eating a drumstick!
    Ouch, but lol.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited January 2022

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h
    'Vote Conservative to end the BBC' doesn't sound like an election-winning slogan, does it?

Lucy Powell. She's pretty good, and she's already responded briefly:

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1482798166806249473?cxt=HHwWgoCy4fLE-pMpAAAA
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

Except that isnt the suggestion, it is just the current unenforceable licence fee won't be the funding model. There is plenty of scope for sustainable and innovative funding models that isn't you must buy this licence otherwise pinky promise you don't watch live telly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

LOL.

None of them as hated as Johnson is now.

I doubt he will be able to properly appear in public again in years without being boo-ed and chanted at.

I really don't think you see the anger out here in middle england.
    Across the country not just middle England
  • Options

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

The John Stonehouse solution?

I suppose it might come to that.
    Believe the Last Resort beach referred to, is the one on the Jersey shore, where Justice Kavanaugh so enjoyed throwing his beach balls around during his summer break?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

Boris to use the Navy to stop border crossings of migrants and ban boozing at No 10 and fire failing advisers as he begins a relaunch. Growth will also be turbocharged across the North and Midlands

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17344129/boris-johnson-royal-navy-migrant-channel-crossings/https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17344129/boris-johnson-royal-navy-migrant-channel-crossings/

So he is planning to hang on at No.10? What excellent news! I am all in favour of the Donkey of Downing Street igniting a Tory civil war in the party.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

I think it great pic. He’s eating a snow topped pine cone and some string, just to prove, if any Tory MPs are wavering, Boris is barking mad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL.

Drowning man flails around in the water, yelling 'call in the army' as the waves go over his blonde head.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

BTW - what will the Navy's orders be? To ignore SOLAS regulations and force migrants to stay at sea until they die or drown?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He won't be there to do it
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1482798166806249473?cxt=HHwWgoCy4fLE-pMpAAAA
    Problem for labour is ending the licence fee is popular
  • Options
    Where did you see the isolation story Francis? I can’t see it on the front page of the Torygraph.
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

"Never stop your enemy when they are making a mistake"
    - N Bonaparte
  • Options
    MJW said:

One interesting thing will be the reaction, if they happen, to the mooted moves to sack staff. I think the Operation Big Dog team may be underestimating quite what a bad look sacking the help over your own mistakes is. Certainly if the reaction is negative and he looks like he's ratting on his mates, he's in even more trouble.

It's a bit like with late-period Gordon Brown when people had decided he'd lost it and even moves that would have gone down well from a generic Labour politician came across as desperate flailing because most people had made their minds up that they disliked him - despite having thought him a strong leader less than a year earlier and a very good chancellor for much of the previous decade.

Downfall.

Hitler: "Our generals are the scum of the German people! Not a shred of honour! They call themselves generals. "
  • Options

Where did you see the isolation story Francis? I can’t see it on the front page of the Torygraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/16/self-isolation-law-set-scrapped-favour-move-towards-learning/
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

How exactly is he going to turbo charge growth?

How is the Navy going to stop migrants?

Please explain
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

Effectively promising again on promises he has failed to deliver, with still no indication how he plans to deliver them?

When political parties concentrate on explaining the issues and their policies, educating the electorate, it makes for stronger elections stronger democracy. That has to be a political parties first priority, putting the country and our democracy first, before anything else.

So not this Prime Minister. Not this bullshit.
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

Yeah, but I doubt fundamentally changing the BBC is.
  • Options

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/16/self-isolation-law-set-scrapped-favour-move-towards-learning/
    Thanks
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He won't be there to do it
    Well, he will be there to fire advisors as he plans to do that in next couple of days by sound of things. But the rest of it is not going to happen.

He is done. Never was a flush more busted.
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

I expect it is popular from the young to the retired in a changing media world and a £159 tax to watch the BBC is unsustainable
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Please explain
    Apparently by collecting them and sending then to Rwanda for consideration of their application
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Boris to end Plan B and the requirement of vaxports for nighclubs and large events on January 26th and will also end wfh guidance. The need to take a lateral flow test by travellers on their 2nd day in the UK will also be ended. Those who catch Covid will also no longer be legally required to self isolate.

Only the requirement to wear facemasks in shops or on public transport will stay
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

I expect it is popular from the young to the retired in a changing media world and a £159 tax to watch the BBC is unsustainable
    Whatever the merits one way or other it aint, by a million miles, an important issue at the moment.

It's a desperate, desperate attempt to be seen by backbenchers to be doing something as this administration comes to an end.
  • Options
    The Torygraph story about removing isolation rules is weak, it’s just speculation about some undefined point in the future.

Meanwhile, it has this:

However, a requirement to wear face masks on public transport, in shops and in other settings is likely to stay beyond January 26.

Looks like the masks are staying…
  • Options
    Why are masks staying ffs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris to end Plan B and the requirement of vaxports for nighclubs and large events on January 26th and will also end wfh guidance. The need to take a lateral flow test by travellers on their 2nd day in the UK will also be ended. Those who catch Covid will also no longer be legally required to self isolate.

Only the requirement to wear facemasks in shops or on public transport will stay

Does this now mean I will be able to get into the basement of Downing Street without a vaxport?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

The Torygraph story about removing isolation rules is weak, it’s just speculation about some undefined point in the future.

Meanwhile, it has this:

However, a requirement to wear face masks on public transport, in shops and in other settings is likely to stay beyond January 26.

I don't see the logic of saying you can all go into nightclubs with no vax passport and everybody back to the office, but you have to wear that mask in a shop.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Good grief.

Sounds like Javid's personal religious belief could be akin to Abe Lincoln's, with a Koranic twist?

As for Boris Johnson, doubt his conversion to Catholicism is as politically OR personally significant as, say, that of James II.

Which is NOT same as saying that it's insincere, or may become so. Whatever happens, he's going though some heavy stuff right now. Whatever faith he's got, in something bigger than himself (which clearly ain't the Conservative Party) could well be a blessing for him as a person, if not a politico, now and beyond.

Maybe even both IF truly the age of miracles is not yet past.
  • Options

Haven't you heard, they make you look more attractive? Certainly true for yours truly

But no doubt YOU are a handsome devil, sick and tired of having a freaking face rag cramping your style!
  • Options

Let's see what actually happens in a week or so.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Meanwhile, it has this:

I don't see the logic of saying you can all go into nightclubs with no vax passport and everybody back to the office, but you have to wear that mask in a shop.....
    I'm dubious about the logic too, but I suppose you can argue that the more vulnerable elderly are unlikely to be in nightclubs and may have retired from work, but still go shopping and travel on public transport.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Scott_xP said:

Can I strike that one down as a "doesn't count"?
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    ·
    5h

It is for people who used to get it buckshee but now have to pay. I can't say it's ever been an issue for me.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Please explain

T23 puts a Pacific 24 in the water that turns the migrants' boat around by threatening them with an FN MAG or other assorted small arms.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

HYUFD said:

Please explain
    Apparently by collecting them and sending then to Rwanda for consideration of their application
    Border Force could do that today if that were a viable solution. Why does it need the RN?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris might not even be Prime Minister by Jan. 26.
  • Options

Meanwhile, it has this:

I'm dubious about the logic too, but I suppose you can argue that the more vulnerable elderly are unlikely to be in nightclubs and may have retired from work, but still go shopping and travel on public transport.
    Everyone I know in Seattle is upping their mask to (at least) US or Korean N95, at least for going to grocery and other stores. Or on crowded or semi-busy sidewalks.

Personally have gone the entire time so far being pretty cautious, and have zero problem keeping it up for the duration. Realize the odds of coming down with some form, at least a mild case, at some point are somewhat high. But would like to postpone as long as possible! Certainly while the health care system is jammed, both by dealing with patients AND lack of staff due to their illness, or lack of child care or other knock-off effects.

Yesterday took my first (at home) COVID test. And failed . . . meaning a negative result!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    @IshmaelZ

Re your questions from the previous thread
    "1. Yes. The external regulator is part of the legal blob too.

2. Don't be patronising with the "Believe me - I know" stuff. I have conducted a lot of big ass Commercial Court litigation.

3. Explain: how would it take more than a couple of hours, given access to the email accounts of all recipients of the invite (which is expressly mandated by the terms of ref), to establish what we want to know, which is: did BJ know the party was a party?"

Apologies - was travelling. So no time to respond.

I too have done lots of big ass Commercial Court litigation. But I am not being patronising when I say that you are missing the point. Investigations are NOT like Commercial Court litigation even though a lot of lawyers wrongly assume they are and that any litigation lawyer or lawyer can do them.

They can't. Some lawyers can become good investigators. But you need particular skills to do good investigations. Far fewer lawyers have these skills than they like to think.

Investigations and Commercial Court litigation are very different. Wanting shortened litigation as in civil courts tells you little about how a fact-finding investigation needs to be done.

You are also assuming a very narrow remit. You need to establish the following (IMO)

1. The relevant laws and guidelines at all the applicable times.
    2. All internal instructions that were given, by whom and to whom, both written and verbal.
    3. What proof there was of people having received them.
    4. All the communications relating to social events - when sent, by whom, to who copied etc and all responses, both written and verbal.

Just getting all those emails and chats and any that were deleted and making sure you have a complete set takes more than a couple of hours.

5. Any other electronic or other records relating to the events.
    6. Interviews of all those involved

and so on.

That is how I'd approach something like this if I wanted to do a complete and accurate fact-finding investigation with a view to determining whether people had broken internal rules and/or lied about what they had done ie as a basis for an internal disciplinary proceeding.

That takes more than a few hours.

It is not even clear that Ms Gray has the authority to obtain the necessary material to do any meaningful interviews.

If you want a quick and dirty take we have that already, as I've said.

But what we have already would not allow anyone to be disciplined. Or sacked. Not fairly anyway. Nor would it be sufficient to say that a criminal offence had potentially occurred.

If I wanted to collect evidence for possible use in criminal proceedings (and I've done plenty of these as well) then the requirements become even more onerous.

Whether it is sufficient to allow MPs or the public to make a political judgment is quite another matter but that is not dependant on a detailed fact-finding investigation.
  • Options

Meanwhile, it has this:

Everyone I know in Seattle is upping their mask to (at least) US or Korean N95, at least for going to grocery and other stores. Or on crowded or semi-busy sidewalks.

Personally have gone the entire time so far being pretty cautious, and have zero problem keeping it up for the duration. Realize the odds of coming down with some form, at least a mild case, at some point are somewhat high. But would like to postpone as long as possible! Certainly while the health care system is jammed, both by dealing with patients AND lack of staff due to their illness, or lack of child care or other knock-off effects.

Yesterday took my first (at home) COVID test. And failed . . . meaning a negative result!
    The lack of clear information about N95 / FFP3 masks in the UK is mad. I genuinely don't think many people really have any idea their cloth one is massively inferior to a "proper" one.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

Meanwhile, it has this:

So basically Boris:
    -Put in place a set of pointless Plan B restrictions to be in place until Jan 26.
    -Was talked out of a lockdown.
    -Won't actually unroll all the Plan B restrictions on 26th Jan.

This is his fightback pitch?

This discussion has been closed.