Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer has better than a 13.9% chance of being next PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Alistair said:
    That's a reduction.....i remember a reading a previous estimate that it was 10x....rather than 6x.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,616
    OK I have opened the Tawny Port and it tastes ok. Not being a connoisseur I can't tell you if it is any good, but it tastes of port which is about all I was after and a plus after the comments that it might be ruined.

Now if anyone comes back and tells me I should have kept it I'm going to be mightily miffed.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    TimS said:

It’ll be fascinating to see how the world responds to the next novel respiratory virus. Possibly an avian flu, or another zoonotic coronavirus, or altogether something else.

You’d think we’d be better prepared and would act more quickly, certainly on the vaccines front, but would we end up taking the wrong lessons from Covid (or applying Coronavirus wisdom to an influenza outbreak).

There seems to be little or no new concerted effort to regulate human contact with wild animals for a start.

And when will the next big one be? 10 years? 20? 50? 5?

There'll certainly be pushing on an open door to generate panic. I expect we'll have a few over-reactions post covid, just as covid was under-reacted to after the multiple damp squibs that preceded it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

What do we think Scott Morrison will do about Djokovic? I suspect he'll let him stay now and hope he gets knocked out in the 1st round.

Let’s ask our Aussie election expert HY. 🙂

So if the Morrison government don’t pull rank now and deport the worlds greatest Tennis player, is this going to prove very damaging to the government in your opinion HYUFD?
    I expect the Immigration Minister will deport him
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The Tories need to "do a Theresa" and get rid of Boris asap.

I suspect his mps will wait until the results of the enquiries are published and just how Boris is damaged before moving on this, but I do not see Boris leading into GE23/24
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why? The Tories are still polling mid 30s, roughly where they were under Cameron midterm. Under May by midterm in 2019 the Tories were polling well under 30%.

There is no poll showing any alternative Tory leader getting the Tories back to 40%+
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

Because there is always an expert on here on everything here is a question about port. I have 2 bottles I have had for a long time that I have never got around to drinking and wondered whether they were worth anything significant now or whether I should just down them (I don't think I could appreciate a really expensive bottle so it would be wasted on me so would be inclined to sell if worth a lot):

Croft 20 yr old Tawny Port bottled in 1988 (so I assume 1968).

Dow 1995 Late Bottle Vintage Bottled in 2000.

Not worth anything special. Only vintage port (not including late bottled vintage) improves in the bottle
    I'd be surprised if the Tawny Port is drinkable. That is VERY old for non vintage
    Not sure, 20-year old tawny port is already rather special (better than nearly all vintage port in my experience). Dunno how well it would last in bottle, but there's an easy way to find out!
    Fortified wines will often last a pretty long time. I remember drinking an '08 Madeira.

That's 1908.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    GIN1138 said:

Who could be the Tories' Mother Teresa. Penny Mordaunt perhaps ?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,151

Leon said:

Still have to pick at the word "lockdown". Even during the first "you must stay at home" mandate you didn't have to stay at home. You could go out and exercise and go and shop without someone from the government* telling you that you couldn't. Out running in those first few weeks, or bobbing into town to pick up takeaway was very very odd - but not lockdown.

So only China actually does ‘lockdown’?

Bollocks. If I can’t meet friends indoors, or in a pub, and people are working from home, that’s a lockdown. A total perversion of normal human life
    If you can meet people OUTSIDE, you are not "locked down", are you? FFS!
    Back in the day, the term ‘staycation’ was coined for holidays in your own home, but taking day trips to local attractions. I liked it. Trouble is it got perverted and came to mean a holiday in the UK, which I had always called ‘a holiday’.
    That battle has been lost sadly.
    In 2020 various countries around the world imposed strict restrictions on their populations lives and freedoms. Every country had differences. Some were. Very severe, such as China, where some were welded into their homes. Some governments required you to get official permission to go shopping. In the U.K. it was pretty lax, by those standards, but even here you were able to take exercise once a day, and shop for food without asking.
    All of these countries measures were called ‘lockdown’.
    As with this, it’s become an abused phrase, so that the restrictions in Scotland can be called lockdown, when they really shouldn’t be.
    That said, we should acknowledge that having any restrictions at all is remarkable interference in people’s lives.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007

kjh said:

Thanks everyone for the advice on port. Really appreciated. Looks like I should have asked the question 30 years ago. Fingers crossed the Tawny is ok. How about the LBV? I assume you only keep Vintage? I really know nothing about them other than liking the taste.

In terms of looking after it - probably not well. They lie on their sides in my garage. They get turned occasionally.

Thought about it because of my 2 visits to Portugal last year where I had port after every single meal (I don't eat breakfast) and it reminded me to open them.

I am not sure where @Leon got the 'turn regularly' idea from. Move as little as possible was always my understanding.
    I think you’re right. I was definitely told in Oporto it should be turned. But the only reference I can find is here - which is a guy saying (near the end) - that it’s bollocks. Don’t turn

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/458362/could-old-port-be-worth-a-lot

Happy to yield to the evidence
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,637
    Is Johnson going 'lose' more staff than Trump did while in office?

On which topic, having watched Don't Look Up last night, the way the Head of NASA had to take the hit and resign when President 'Streep' decided to use the comet as a dead cat, was one of many nice touches. Sure the film is a bit ott but we thought it was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,258
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Why? The Tories are still polling mid 30s, roughly where they were under Cameron midterm. Under May by midterm in 2019 the Tories were polling well under 30%.

There is no poll showing any alternative Tory leader getting the Tories back to 40%+
    You miss the point that Boris is associated with sleaze and ignoring rules together with lying and sooner rather than later he will be a negative for the conservatives and a real threat to many conservative mps seats

This is not sustainable no matter who may be his replacement
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Isn't Cummings also supposed to have another video from the press conference room, with his advisers talking about Boris's own private foibles ? He's really spacing these out.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    I am fascinated by the network of connections in the party gate scandal.

We have Paul Brand and Pippa Crerar who are getting most of the scoops, both married to people who work in government. Also the Paul Brand, Peston, Stratton connection.

Then we have Big Dom, who got Dishy Rishi his job.

I feel like we need one of those spider web things you see in the detective movies.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

eek said:

Has Reynolds resigned yet?

From Twitter
    Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes
    Martin Reynolds should get a cardboard box and start packing his desk.

And Tim (formerly of this Parish) seems to think that Starmer has managed to get Boris to lie to Parliament about this party...
    Nothing will be done about Johnson lying to Commons.

But yes Reynolds should be phoning uber about now.
    It takes your breath away at the utter stupidity and lack of awareness

I did say to @MoonRabbit wallpapergate will not see Boris go but if he was there then this is getting uncomfortably close to him,
    and his mps may soon need to take action

Perilous times for Boris

My son said a day or two ago Carrie will be his downfall with her extravagant tastes and love of partying and many will no doubt concur
    You did Big G. 🙂

I know what you are saying, if Boris says he didn’t send the email, it’s his culture and leadership, to keep taking bottles out to gatherings at the same day his government telling rest of us we can’t do that.

However the wallpaper cash for access and exhibitions is the sort of corruption to get someone resigned or vonked. The parliamentary commissioner we saw with Paterson suspension has real teeth. When it comes It’s a low key news headline, commissioner to investigate wallpapergate, but soon as we hear it, Boris is gone in weeks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

You miss the point that Boris is associated with sleaze and ignoring rules together with lying and sooner rather than later he will be a negative for the conservatives and a real threat to many conservative mps seats

If Labour was 10% ahead and polling showed Sunak getting the Tories back in front you might have a point.

As it is Labour are less than 5% ahead midterm and no polling shows Sunak getting the Tories back in front either and other alternative leaders do worse than Boris
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,533
    Given the vast amount of money that property developers donate to the good cause of the Conservative Party, it's brave of Gove to threaten them in the way he has.

So I suspect they won't have to cough up in the end. Or if they do, it will be in such a way as to not affect their grotesque profits.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited January 2022
    This BYOB party is actually jaw-dropping. What were they thinking of? At least Cummings had some kind of excuse.

And add. They are really lucky this didn't come out two years ago during the lockdown. GIven the numbers involved, I am surprised it didn't.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    GIN1138 said:

One thing they did not do with Theresa was move asap.
  • Options

I am fascinated by the network of connections in the party gate scandal.

We have Paul Brand and Pippa Crerar who are getting most of the scoops, both married to people who work in government. Also the Paul Brand, Peston, Stratton connection.

Then we have Big Dom, who got Dishy Rishi his job.

I feel like we need one of those spider web things you see in the detective movies.

And the biggest players hollowing out and bringing down Boris? Rishi’s spin twins.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

This BYOB party is actually jaw-dropping. What were they thinking of? At least Cummings had some kind of excuse.

And add. They are really lucky this didn't come out two years ago during the lockdown. GIven the numbers involved, I am surprised it didn't.

That they were above the law. Simple really.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Thanks everyone for the advice on port. Really appreciated. Looks like I should have asked the question 30 years ago. Fingers crossed the Tawny is ok. How about the LBV? I assume you only keep Vintage? I really know nothing about them other than liking the taste.

In terms of looking after it - probably not well. They lie on their sides in my garage. They get turned occasionally.

Thought about it because of my 2 visits to Portugal last year where I had port after every single meal (I don't eat breakfast) and it reminded me to open them.

I am not sure where @Leon got the 'turn regularly' idea from. Move as little as possible was always my understanding.
    I think you’re right. I was definitely told in Oporto it should be turned. But the only reference I can find is here - which is a guy saying (near the end) - that it’s bollocks. Don’t turn

Admitting your wrong twice in one day that has to be a record for anyone on PB. Anyway didn't matter as it only got turned about once a year as the whim took me and it tastes ok anyway. Posts will get slurred later tonight.

Thanks again for your advice. Really appreciated.

For the last 2 years I have been making sloe gin, which is another reason I thought of it. Being super mean, as the sloes were obviously foraged, I was loathed to throw them away so I then made liqueur chocolates with them after bottling.

I also made Elderflower champagne the year before last from my garden. Tasted of dishwater, but surprising it turned it into a fantastic sorbet, otherwise it was down the drain. Marmalade next. Nothing like homemade marmalade.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    FF43 said:

That he wanted to lock down in a house with a garden and was too dim both to see this might be problematic and to think up a vaguely plausible pretext is not really an 'excuse.'
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    FF43 said:

I think as long as Cummings was on board, they were unlikely to. Note that all the most significant tranches of leaked information have stopped in December 2020, so far.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

Because there is always an expert on here on everything here is a question about port. I have 2 bottles I have had for a long time that I have never got around to drinking and wondered whether they were worth anything significant now or whether I should just down them (I don't think I could appreciate a really expensive bottle so it would be wasted on me so would be inclined to sell if worth a lot):

Croft 20 yr old Tawny Port bottled in 1988 (so I assume 1968).

Dow 1995 Late Bottle Vintage Bottled in 2000.

Not worth anything special. Only vintage port (not including late bottled vintage) improves in the bottle
    I'd be surprised if the Tawny Port is drinkable. That is VERY old for non vintage
    Not sure, 20-year old tawny port is already rather special (better than nearly all vintage port in my experience). Dunno how well it would last in bottle, but there's an easy way to find out!
    Fortified wines will often last a pretty long time. I remember drinking an '08 Madeira.

That's 1908.
    The process of oxidation is complete with Madeira, so it can last very well when open. Port less so.

Madeira goes very well with rich puddings like Christmas puds.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Admitting your wrong twice in one day that has to be a record for anyone on PB. Anyway didn't matter as it only got turned about once a year as the whim took me and it tastes ok anyway. Posts will get slurred later tonight.

For the last 2 years I have been making sloe gin, which is another reason I thought of it. Being super mean as the sloes were obviously foraged, I was loathed to throw them away so I then made liqueur chocolates with them after bottling.

I also made Elderflower champagne the year before last from my garden. Tasted of dishwater, but surprising it turned it into a fantastic sorbet, otherwise it was down the drain. Marmalade next. Nothing like homemade marmalade.
    I the full realisation I will come to regret asking:

How do you know what dishwater tastes like?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

If Labour was 10% ahead and polling showed Sunak getting the Tories back in front you might have a point.

As it is Labour are less than 5% ahead midterm and no polling shows Sunak getting the Tories back in front either and other alternative leaders do worse than Boris
    As a church-goer, you must feel offended by Boris's lack of moral compass?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,533
    kjh said:

OK I have opened the Tawny Port and it tastes ok. Not being a connoisseur I can't tell you if it is any good, but it tastes of port which is about all I was after and a plus after the comments that it might be ruined.

Now if anyone comes back and tells me I should have kept it I'm going to be mightily miffed.

You should have kept it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

He is not running for Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What do we think Scott Morrison will do about Djokovic? I suspect he'll let him stay now and hope he gets knocked out in the 1st round.

So if the Morrison government don’t pull rank now and deport the worlds greatest Tennis player, is this going to prove very damaging to the government in your opinion HYUFD?
    I agree. They basically now have no choice. It seems they would have preferred the court to have backed them, the judiciary to have deported him, how do you understand what went wrong with governments case in court?

It seems to me the Aussie people don’t like one rule for us one rule for VIP, like this country with No 10 parties, and the Federal government thought they could profiteer from that feeling, especially as Victoria let him in. But the judiciary saw it other way around, Federal government exercising powers indiscriminately and inconsistently and unfairly? And that’s becoming the damaging attack the government’s opponents are using that can only be trumped by the deportation.

Like I said this morning, if federal government were more proactive with Victoria and tennis leaders month ago, none of this circus need have happened. However this missing the main point - reason Scott Morrison loses election is his governments border and covid policies have lacked clarity for long time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

HYUFD said:

I agree. They basically now have no choice. It seems they would have preferred the court to have backed them, the judiciary to have deported him, how do you understand what went wrong with governments case in court?

It seems to me the Aussie people don’t like one rule for us one rule for VIP, like this country with No 10 parties, and the Federal government thought they could profiteer from that feeling, especially as Victoria let him in. But the judiciary saw it other way around, Federal government exercising powers indiscriminately and inconsistently and unfairly? And that’s becoming the damaging attack the government’s opponents are using that can only be trumped by the deportation.

Like I said this morning, if federal government were more proactive with Victoria and tennis leaders month ago, none of this circus need have happened. However this missing the main point - reason Scott Morrison loses election is his governments border and covid policies have lacked clarity for long time.
    Tennis Australia were informed by letter twice that a prior infection was not a valid excuse. It seems that they are to blame for this fiasco.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

kjh said:

You should have kept it.
    Worth its weight in bitcoins.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Still have to pick at the word "lockdown". Even during the first "you must stay at home" mandate you didn't have to stay at home. You could go out and exercise and go and shop without someone from the government* telling you that you couldn't. Out running in those first few weeks, or bobbing into town to pick up takeaway was very very odd - but not lockdown.

Bollocks. If I can’t meet friends indoors, or in a pub, and people are working from home, that’s a lockdown. A total perversion of normal human life
    If you can meet people OUTSIDE, you are not "locked down", are you? FFS!
    Yes you are. You're quibbling with semantics Sunil.
    "Now you're talking semantics. What if I told you insane was working a 50-hour week for 50 years, at the end of which they tell you to piss off. Ending up in some retirement village, hoping to die rather than suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time. Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Flip it around.

Lots of people have known about this for ages, but it didn't leak until now. It's a smart bit of mutually assured destruction kompromat. So:

1 Whose idea was the party? (I'm sure the PM will blame the Civil Servants... Chinny reckon, but he'd probably get away with it.)
    2 Who knew? (Lots of people, but who?)
    3 When did they know? (At the time.)
    4 Why did they keep shtum for so long?
    5 Are we bothered that the PM hasn't told us the truth about this? Or more relevantly, is anyone who doesn't already dislike the PM bothered?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Leon said:

You fucked off to South Wales. Hardly a lockdown.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,151

I still can't decide whether Russia is getting stronger or weaker. The pundits seem split, here's Gideon Rachman's take in the FT:

"Putin’s threats disguise a weakening position"

https://www.ft.com/content/aceeaeb4-f687-41f8-858e-b3b60cd21324

Since Putin took over he has done a lot to modernise Russia's armed forces, and improve the basic competence and organisation of the Russian state. The Trump Presidency did a lot to bolster Russia's international prestige (see for example Syria) and to weaken NATO.

But the economic fundamentals are moving against Russia in many ways, particularly with the increasing pace of efforts to move away from fossil fuels. In many ways, therefore, now is the best chance Putin has to establish new realities to defend Russia's standing as it's petro-economy declines. If Russia can seize the Ukrainian Black Sea coast, then he heads off the risk of a naval competitor arising in the Black Sea. If Russia can show that NATO, and particularly the US, does not have the resolve to stand against Russian expansionism, then it might encourage some politicians in Eastern Europe to seek an accommodation.

Or he might simply be trying to create a bit of panic as leverage in having Nordstream 2 brought into operation.

That's one of the problems with dealing with a dictatorship. The key debates happen in private in the dictator's head, rather than in the open, so it's really hard to know what the objectives are and the costs willing to be incurred to reach those objectives.

It's more than a little unreal that we're at the stage where the press is wondering what invasion routes the Russians might use to encircle Kiev.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

So what's the point of going to church if you can support such a dodgy, shady character as our PM?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

But given that BoJo's CV has been all about failing upwards, Pope is one of the few roles available to him that might count as further promotion.

Though the celibacy thing might be a problem.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

But given that BoJo's CV has been all about failing upwards, Pope is one of the few roles available to him that might count as further promotion.

Back to the Borgias again. Fat old bloke bonking someone young enough to be his daughter.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,878

Surely the Pope can rewrite the rules of celibacy? Or just claim he is...
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Tennis Australia were informed by letter twice that a prior infection was not a valid excuse. It seems that they are to blame for this fiasco.
    it not true Under Morrisons government federal law in immigration and battling covid is just not clear and consistent enough like the judiciary keep ruling? Novak circus, like in this court, this case is now illuminating that the federal government should support states with clarity as regards covid and border policies - which they haven’t been doing. Federal government haven’t got involved in clarity, but criticise decisions of others.

The federal government have made their own failings the issue. And probably worse for rest of us, emboldened and boosted the anti vaxxers. And Farage. 😕
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Cookie said:

Just think - in the week prior to Christmas it was being confidently briefed that we were looking at a post-Christmas lockdown of some sort. Rule of six. Children's birthday parties to be illegal. Schools staying open if we were lucky.
    And we had that weird day where whatever was being proposed couldn't get through cabinet and then wasn't announced - much to the fury of many in the media and sage.

In the counterfactual world (aka: Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) where the cabinet lost its nerve, we'd now be in week one or two of a second winter lockdown, with government sources confidently telling us that cases were starting to fall because of the tough measures they'd put in place.

Of course, you've still got Jason Leitch saying it's the restrictions wot's making the difference...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59936338

Not entirely sure that points to the SG removing everything they added recently, but I wouldn't put it past them to argue the two contradictory points.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,463
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

TimT said:

TimS said:

COVID summary

Cases - Are rising (some missing data from the regions), but R is plunging towards 1.0. North East is still seeing more of the wave, but that is beginning to fade as well.
    Admissions - Are bouncing around, but R is heading downward. North East is the area seeing a definite rise still - but is the only region in England to do so.
    MV beds - level(ish)
    Death - rising slowly.

I suspect the deaths picture is still very skewed by Christmas reporting lags because the underlying trend, smoothed over a couple of weeks, has definitely been down (from around 130 per day to closer to 80-90). I also suspect - though can't be sure - that a lot of the reported deaths will be Delta still.

The stats on Omicron severity as well as the ventilated patient data suggest to me that deaths should continue to fall as Delta patients leave the system.
    What happens if you redo the curve to eliminate 'died with' and chart only 'died of'?
    Does such data even exist?
    Not really. Death certificates will list COVID in the "causes" section - but may well have multiple causes. Medically it is very hard to tell, often, exactly what of bunch of different conditions was a *singular cause*. As opposed to several things that happened all at once....
    Would "was on the way to the covid test centre, when run over by a bus" be a covid mention on the death certificate? (Asking for a friend...) :D
    Would a positive COVID test be recorded against such a death? - down to the doctor filling in the death certificate. Probably wouldn't put it under causes.... But the deaths are counted for certificates "mentioning" COVID...
    I still don't understand this.

From questioning this issue before *I think* what is on the death certificate is a different matter to what is included in the Covid death stats. Foxy confirmed that someone dying of Covid would be listed as such on the death certificate whether or not death happened within 28 days of a positive test. E.g a death OF Covid 100 days after a positive test would be given as Covid on the death certificate but would NOT be included in the Covid death stats.

I think that must be right or what would be the point of the 28 days?
    We have two measures of COVID deaths, deaths within 28 days and deaths mentioning COVID on the death certificate.
    Why are we still pursuing with the 28 days thing? Why not just report Covid deaths as per the death certificate?
    It'd be honest, but make the UK look worse than it actually is.
    I would have thought it would break the other way but I'm far from sure.
    Isn't 28 days the international standard in practice?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kjh said:

You should have kept it.
    Worth its weight in bitcoins.
    Looks like it time to buy some more shovels.....
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Surely the Pope can rewrite the rules of celibacy? Or just claim he is...
    They generally can't go against precedent aiui.

Rather like RC divorce being a pretence that the marriage never really happened.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

For the last 2 years I have been making sloe gin, which is another reason I thought of it. Being super mean, as the sloes were obviously foraged, I was loathed to throw them away so I then made liqueur chocolates with them after bottling.

I'm now trying to work out where the idea you should turn the bottle comes from. You did it, I was told it (in Portugal!), that guy online with his proud cellar of vintage port does it as well, yet it seems to be nonsense. No one else advises this

A weird little meme that came from where and has survived how?

Odd

As for sloe gin: top tip, it goes REALLY well with dry champagne or dry English fizz. A brilliantly easy to make a heady and delicious cocktail

EDIT: I see it has been named "the sloegasm"! Very apt

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/christmas/christmas-drinks/a551248/sloegasm-cocktail/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

it not true Under Morrisons government federal law in immigration and battling covid is just not clear and consistent enough like the judiciary keep ruling? Novak circus, like in this court, this case is now illuminating that the federal government should support states with clarity as regards covid and border policies - which they haven’t been doing. Federal government haven’t got involved in clarity, but criticise decisions of others.

The federal government have made their own failings the issue. And probably worse for rest of us, emboldened and boosted the anti vaxxers. And Farage. 😕
    Opening up just as Omicron hit.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    NZ had 27 Covid (Delta) cases today. Some calls for them to close schools until more kids can be vaccinated. Crazy.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-epidemiologist-warns-government-to-delay-school-return/PJTNJDQYOSMBPBSVZMVHM6TXZQ/
  • Options

FF43 said:

Flip it around.

Lots of people have known about this for ages, but it didn't leak until now. It's a smart bit of mutually assured destruction kompromat. So:

1 Whose idea was the party? (I'm sure the PM will blame the Civil Servants... Chinny reckon, but he'd probably get away with it.)
    5 Are we bothered that the PM hasn't told us the truth about this? Or more relevantly, is anyone who doesn't already dislike the PM bothered?
    It's a good set of questions but I think we can cut to the chase with question no 4. The people knowing about the party would include, I presume, journalists. Why weren't they interested, particularly as it would be even more explosive than Cummings' exploits rolling out at the same time?

On the whose idea/knew/is bothered questions, anyone with the slightest awareness would have klaxons going off and would make sure they were nowhere near the garden of 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

I'm now trying to work out where the idea you should turn the bottle comes from. You did it, I was told it (in Portugal!), that guy online with his proud cellar of vintage port does it as well, yet it seems to be nonsense. No one else advises this

A weird little meme that came from where and has survived how?

Odd

As for sloe gin: top tip, it goes REALLY well with dry champagne or dry English fizz. A brilliantly easy to make a heady and delicious cocktail

EDIT: I see it has been named "the sloegasm"! Very apt

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/christmas/christmas-drinks/a551248/sloegasm-cocktail/
    I'm not sure I count. I had no idea what I was doing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Let's establish some simple rules shall we:

Lockdown means a general restriction on people to meet with who they like, when they like, where they like.

So a curfew is a form of lockdown.

Mask mandates on public transport, by contrast, are not lockdowns.

That is a restriction, but not a lockdown.

Likewise, requirements to show vaccination status before going to a mass gathering are a restriction, not a lockdown.

And, for the record, mask mandates in shops and public transport do not count as "Christmas cancelled" (for the benefit of @MISTY/@Contrarian).
    Yes, we went through this, and yes I agree with you

The idea we didn't have "a lockdown" last winter "because we were still allowed to exercise and to shop" is insulting piffle

Maybe they aren't on "real lockdown" in Xi'an, given that one member of every household is still allowed out once every three days? Those Chinese, so pathetically feeble, can't do proper lockdowns
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

Given the vast amount of money that property developers donate to the good cause of the Conservative Party, it's brave of Gove to threaten them in the way he has.

So I suspect they won't have to cough up in the end. Or if they do, it will be in such a way as to not affect their grotesque profits.

Expect to pay a hidden "cover historic costs" fee of £5000 in all new house sales for the next few years.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,125

FF43 said:

Flip it around.

Why wait till now too ?

This has been sat on for quite a while.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

For the last 2 years I have been making sloe gin, which is another reason I thought of it. Being super mean as the sloes were obviously foraged, I was loathed to throw them away so I then made liqueur chocolates with them after bottling.

Only imagination I'm afraid. Wish the answer could have been more exciting.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184

When your hotel room has a kitchenette, the hotel wants to be covid-safe, but didn’t get the memo about aerosol importance. That’s really a toaster wrapped in clingfilm. The cutlery is similarly wrapped.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lockdown means a general restriction on people to meet with who they like, when they like, where they like.

Likewise, requirements to show vaccination status before going to a mass gathering are a restriction, not a lockdown.

And, for the record, mask mandates in shops and public transport do not count as "Christmas cancelled" (for the benefit of @MISTY/@Contrarian).

The idea we didn't have "a lockdown" last winter "because we were still allowed to exercise and to shop" is insulting piffle

Maybe they aren't on "real lockdown" in Xi'an, given that one member of every household is still allowed out once every three days? Those Chinese, so pathetically feeble, can't do proper lockdowns
    In spring 2020 I was locked down. You went on holiday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Well yes, we can further subdivide lockdown into: Diamond, Platinum and Gold variants. (Gold being a lot less hard than diamonds or platinum.)

In the Diamond variant (as practiced in Xi'an), you basically 'aint leaving your house/apartment except on your designated day and then one household member and then only to shop.

Etc. etc.
  • Options
    Was @RishiSunak really NFI? Find it hard to believe the Chancellor has so few mates
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1480638326537342979
  • Options
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Only imagination I'm afraid. Wish the answer could have been more exciting.
    I had visions of you downing a sinkful for a bet...
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Only because he wasn't invited to the Rose Garden drinks party...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    carnforth said:

When your hotel room has a kitchenette, the hotel wants to be covid-safe, but didn’t get the memo about aerosol importance. That’s really a toaster wrapped in clingfilm. The cutlery is similarly wrapped.

Looks like a breakdown or a practical joke. Is the stapler set in jelly?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

MattW said:

Applicant said:

Any reason why England only legislation can’t be conducted on Monday and Tuesday, with UK wide legislation conducted on Wednesday, Thursday on Friday?

Having an English parliament using the HoC facilities? It's possible, but you'd still have to elect a separate load of Members of the English Parliament (yeah, that needs a better acronym) otherwise the Scottish separatists would endlessly whinge about their MPs being second class.
    TimT said:

Applicant said:

Any reason why England only legislation can’t be conducted on Monday and Tuesday, with UK wide legislation conducted on Wednesday, Thursday on Friday?

Having an English parliament using the HoC facilities? It's possible, but you'd still have to elect a separate load of Members of the English Parliament (yeah, that needs a better acronym) otherwise the Scottish separatists would endlessly whinge about their MPs being second class.
    What about using Westminster Hall?
    How about the UK government meets 4 days a week in HoC. Monday or Friday is for the English only MPs, who also serve as England's UKMPs. No additional elections or facilities required.
    I think the neat solution, and desirable as it requires fewer politicians, is to make all the devolved Parliaments - including the English one - meet for 1-2 days a week and consist of the national contingents from the UK Parliament.

Imagine the resources that could be saved.

The devolved Parliaments are a bit of a dog's breakfast that needs significant reform, anyway.

Align powers / responsibilities at the same time.

Though I don't see BJ getting a round tuit.
    Why would he? There is no interest in England, beyond theoretical discussions amongst politics geeks, in constitutional reform, and there's no political benefit to be had for the Prime Minister or his party in obsessing over the minutiae of the devolved settlements.
    My point exactly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Were we allowed out "once every three days"?

No. So we we weren't locked down. Some of us even went as far as Penarth...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

How’s flu hospitalisationz this year Foxy, average?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184

carnforth said:

Looks like a breakdown or a practical joke. Is the stapler set in jelly?
    Oh no, they are completely serious. In Portugal, 80% of people are wearing masks on the street, even though there is no rule making them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

How’s flu hospitalisationz this year Foxy, average?
    Very low. Indeed good evidence that people are being more careful.

In my hospital we have 260 covid cases, 6 with either Flu or RSV.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the car crash Suella Braverman interview on Channel 4 about who is members of the ERG?

I mean the Channel 4 interviewer was a bit of a dick, but she was appallingly inarticulate.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    AlistairM said:

NZ had 27 Covid (Delta) cases today. Some calls for them to close schools until more kids can be vaccinated. Crazy.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-epidemiologist-warns-government-to-delay-school-return/PJTNJDQYOSMBPBSVZMVHM6TXZQ/

This may have more to do with Omicron. Some of the NZ boffins are crapping themselves at the thought of Omicron getting loose in the country before they've boosted all the elderly and jabbed all the primary school kids. They think that'd result in a slaughter.

Relative to how well they've dodged deaths so far, of course, it probably would feel like a slaughter. However, unless they never allow another human being to set foot in the country from overseas again, they're not going to save all the people who can't have vaccines or don't respond to them very well forever. The variant will get in, and it will go about its lethal business. Adjusting to that fact may prove rather difficult for the country when it happens.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, it's interesting how small the gap is between Johnson and Sunak compared to Starmer in best PM polling, Starmer is 1% ahead of Johnson but Sunak is only 3% ahead of Starmer in today's poll.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,646
    edited January 2022

eek said:

Love to know who ITV News' source is

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1480596421766176769

EXCL: Email obtained by
    @itvnews
    proves over 100 staff were invited to drinks party in No 10 garden at height of lockdown to “make the most of the lovely weather”.

We’re told PM and his wife attended, with staff invited to “bring your own booze!”

https://itv.com/news/2022-01-10/email-proves-downing-street-staff-held-drinks-party-at-height-of-lockdown

·
    8m
    Replying to
    @PaulBrandITV
    Email was sent by the PM's Principal Private Secretary Martin Reynolds. 30-40 staff attended, eating picnic food and drinking in the garden.

Less than an hour earlier, Oliver Dowden had told the public at the daily press conference to stick to meeting in pairs outdoors.

This is the party Cummings was going on about, isn't it?
    It's perfectly possible that the source is someone who isn't Dom.
    Whomever is leaking is unaware of the mantra that snitches get stitches.
    'Whoever'?
    I'm blaming autocorrect.

I've already used a grocer's apostrophe the other day.
    Whomsoever ... or Whosoever if one wants to be a teensy bit archaic.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939
    Leon said:

All credit to Leon and Ben for admitting they got it wrong lockdowns. A rare sight on PB.

The likes of Chris should take note.

I got it wrong for a different reason tho. I said lockdowns were useless from about mid-December, it was obvious Omicron was way too infectious. I don't think we should have even gone to Plan B. We fucked hospitality for no reason, and Whitty and Co should be ashamed

But I didn't expect HMG to show so much backbone. Good for them! They proved me wrong

I am now feeling very very very very cautiously optimistic about this. We are nearly halfway through winter. Yes January is bumpy but no it is not apocalyptic

Is this 2 year shitshow finally coming to an end? Barring another variant (please God, spare us) then it looks that way

*genuflecting to the angry demon of Covid Hubris*
    Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that you were wrong for a different reason.

Still, kudos for saying so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, it's interesting how small the gap is between Johnson and Sunak compared to Starmer in best PM polling, Starmer is 1% ahead of Johnson but Sunak is only 3% ahead of Starmer in today's poll.

Is Johnson the problem or are the Conservatives the problem? A lot hangs on the answer to that question. If Johnson is the problem, he can be replaced. Starmer will be keen to make the Conservatives the problem, precisely because Johnson might be replaced.
  • Options

The “we were never locked down” cliche. Absolute garbage. It was illegal to have guests in your own home at one point. All schools and pubs were forcibly closed by the government.

Get real.
  • Options
    Johnson attended ‘bring your own booze’ event in Downing St https://on.ft.com/3GfhukW

Didn't take his own fucking bottle though...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Absolutely. Risible nonsense from Rochdale, I’m afraid.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Love to know who ITV News' source is

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1480596421766176769

EXCL: Email obtained by
    @itvnews
    proves over 100 staff were invited to drinks party in No 10 garden at height of lockdown to “make the most of the lovely weather”.

We’re told PM and his wife attended, with staff invited to “bring your own booze!”

https://itv.com/news/2022-01-10/email-proves-downing-street-staff-held-drinks-party-at-height-of-lockdown

·
    8m
    Replying to
    @PaulBrandITV
    Email was sent by the PM's Principal Private Secretary Martin Reynolds. 30-40 staff attended, eating picnic food and drinking in the garden.

Less than an hour earlier, Oliver Dowden had told the public at the daily press conference to stick to meeting in pairs outdoors.

This is the party Cummings was going on about, isn't it?
    It's perfectly possible that the source is someone who isn't Dom.
    Whomever is leaking is unaware of the mantra that snitches get stitches.
    'Whoever'?
    I'm blaming autocorrect.

I've already used a grocer's apostrophe the other day.
    Whomsoever ... or Whosoever if one wants to be a teensy bit archaic.
    Whomever is correct if in the oblique (accusative/dative case). "Leaking to whomever..."
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Johnson attended ‘bring your own booze’ event in Downing St https://on.ft.com/3GfhukW

From the article - so the person responsible is being shifted rather than fired or resigning.

Reynolds, who previously served as Johnson’s private secretary at the Foreign Office, is expected to be moved to a new position in the civil service. One official said he was being lined up for an ambassadorial role.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

One issue for Tory plotters is that while Sunak outposts Starmer at present, it may just be a case of the grass is greener. The problematic practical issue is that it would be Sunak and AN Other, and the Tory membership may well prefer that AN Other.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    pigeon said:

AlistairM said:

This may have more to do with Omicron. Some of the NZ boffins are crapping themselves at the thought of Omicron getting loose in the country before they've boosted all the elderly and jabbed all the primary school kids. They think that'd result in a slaughter.

Relative to how well they've dodged deaths so far, of course, it probably would feel like a slaughter. However, unless they never allow another human being to set foot in the country from overseas again, they're not going to save all the people who can't have vaccines or don't respond to them very well forever. The variant will get in, and it will go about its lethal business. Adjusting to that fact may prove rather difficult for the country when it happens.
    To be fair, New Zealand's vaccination numbers look pretty strong given they started months after the UK and Israel.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data#total-vaccinations

They have only just started the boosters but have already got to half a million people.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,637
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

From the article - so the person responsible is being shifted rather than fired or resigning.

Reynolds, who previously served as Johnson’s private secretary at the Foreign Office, is expected to be moved to a new position in the civil service. One official said he was being lined up for an ambassadorial role.
    ...which presumably involves hosting lots of parties.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Serbia would seem appropriate.
  • Options
    You know that test journalists apply (certainly political hacks) to work out if something has cut through? I just hopped in the shower and came out to 28 WhatsApp messages - every single one about ‘bring your own booze’, most from Tory voters. None repeatable.
    https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1480643268664827906
  • Options
    carnforth said:

That's insane genius levels of crazy covid WTAF
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

One issue for Tory plotters is that while Sunak outposts Starmer at present, it may just be a case of the grass is greener. The problematic practical issue is that it would be Sunak and AN Other, and the Tory membership may well prefer that AN Other.
    I suspect that's the thing behind the current haste - unless things move quickly AN Other may actually be a person with a reputation behind it rather than candidate b.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If you invited the PN to a BYO you'd expect him to turn up with a case of something decent. No wonder people are leaking.
  • Options

The “we were never locked down” cliche. Absolute garbage. It was illegal to have guests in your own home at one point. All schools and pubs were forcibly closed by the government.

Get real.
    You get real. Being allowed out for unlimited exercise or to go shop is not locked down. We had restrictions - a lot of them. But the door was not locked with the police saying you can't go out.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all. The sort of fellow who finds he has left his wallet at home when it's his turn to buy a round.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Naah. Lord Brownlow had one sent for him.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

In spring 2020 we were all locked down, and yet nearly all of us went on holiday. A surreal holiday of zero work, silent streets, and endless, glorious, unearthly sunshine....

I will remember that first lockdown until I die. I shall do my living utmost to forget the other two
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

You know that test journalists apply (certainly political hacks) to work out if something has cut through? I just hopped in the shower and came out to 28 WhatsApp messages - every single one about ‘bring your own booze’, most from Tory voters. None repeatable.
    https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1480643268664827906

USing Whatsapp = Bad Idea :smile:
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893

Get real.
    You get real. Being allowed out for unlimited exercise or to go shop is not locked down. We had restrictions - a lot of them. But the door was not locked with the police saying you can't go out.
    Go shop?!?!

Your idea of lockdown would've led to mass starvation.

I think my definition still stands: if you have to meet your friends in a freezing Scottish park then you are locked down.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Absolutely- no doubt some people will try to argue that however. Many of us were at breaking point during the winter lockdown. It was utter hell for many. Yet according to ‘Rochdale Pioneers’, the bloke on the internet, it was not a lockdown.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Catholicism.
    Protestants keep their toasters in the cupboard.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,256
    I'm not sure Johnson's going to survive this
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,646
    Eabhal said:

Get real.
    Go shop?!?!

Your idea of lockdown would've led to mass starvation.

I think my definition still stands: if you have to meet your friends in a freezing Scottish park then you are locked down.
    What's wrong with freezing Scottish parks? It's good for you. None of this nasty UV skin cancer shite.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If you invited the PN to a BYO you'd expect him to turn up with a case of something decent. No wonder people are leaking.
    One would have thought that a lack of drink would have meant that people didn't need to leak.

(Yes, I did want to be Bernard Woolley when I was younger. What gave it away?)
  • Options

Get real.
    You are in a lunatic minority of about one, on this point. Everyone else thinks that shut pubs, shut restaurants, working from home, schools closed, etc etc etc, is a lockdown. Even if the government generously allows us out for "unlimited exercise"

Give up, you come across as bonkers, which is a shame, as I don't think you are
  • Options
    Tweets that have not been deleted, yet...

Dom Cummings followed the guidelines and looked after his family. End of story.
    https://twitter.com/OliverDowden/status/1264221876374646786
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,969
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

I hope the person dispensing the cling film didn’t have Covid.
This discussion has been closed.