Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Modi’s net zero in just 49 years is not a good sign – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Fr/UK relations are in bad shape

Senior French officials tell me Macron - who once thought he could establish chummy relations with Johnson - now regards him as a malevolent clown whose word can't be trusted

The Brits are more polite: Fr oversold fish deal - & is electioneering

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1455236274319724558?s=20

Macron might be seeking to win the adoration of the FBPE Twitter crowd with that childish language.

Not sure its going to achieve much else though.
    ....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Liz Truss sounding like Maggie's new tribute act

(.......and doesn't it sound dated?)
    I regret to inform PB that Roger, an elderly, esteemed and retired member of this parish, has returned to make a comment
    Surely old posters returning is a cause for celebration not regret?

I still live in hope of a messianic return of SeanT one day!
    He did a "piece" in the Spectator today. The usual predictable whingeing

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-if-wokeness-really-is-the-new-christianity-
    My god, I see what you mean. He's still wrapped up in his tiny little woke-obsessed world I see. No wonder he's got no time to post on PB.

"Have you had a conversation about The Wokeness recently?" Er, no... the only people who raise it are PB right-wingers. I literally have never heard anyone mention the word 'woke' in my ordinary life. Never.

Still it keeps the Spectatorate happy plotting their counter-revolutions and National Trust coups, I guess.
    We’ve been discussing at work. Last year I had some feedback on a cancer unit I teach asking if I could not use the terms men and women in reference to prostate and breast cancer FFS. Our homepage has an article about use of pronouns. A colleague specifically mentioned a black scientists ethnicity but did not mention others Jewishness in a recorded lecture.

It’s real, and it needs challenging. I dont want to upset anyone, but most of this crap is totally over the top.
    Leeds uni students have demanded all senior staff publish their pronouns apparently.

God knows what that means but it sounds woke to me.
    This never made sense to me. Surely you only need to display pronouns if they’re different to what people might assume?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Leon said:

Roger said:

Senior French officials tell me Macron - who once thought he could establish chummy relations with Johnson - now regards him as a malevolent clown whose word can't be trusted

Macron might be seeking to win the adoration of the FBPE Twitter crowd with that childish language.

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

I regret to inform PB that Roger, an elderly, esteemed and retired member of this parish, has returned to make a comment

There are those who claim he still walks amongst us, but I for one discount these rumours as the rantings of mystics.
    Is it too much to ask that Sean pens a Speccie piece on wild swimming?
    Not on wild swimming - on the middle class guardian reading obsession with wild swimming...
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-if-wokeness-really-is-the-new-christianity-
    My god, I see what you mean. He's still wrapped up in his tiny little woke-obsessed world I see. No wonder he's got no time to post on PB.

"Have you had a conversation about The Wokeness recently?" Er, no... the only people who raise it are PB right-wingers. I literally have never heard anyone mention the word 'woke' in my ordinary life. Never.

Still it keeps the Spectatorate happy plotting their counter-revolutions and National Trust coups, I guess.
    If I am ever fortunate enough to meet the great ex-PBer himself, I shall relay your earnest and worthy critiques. But I doubt I will be so lucky
    Sean will quite rightly ignore my critiques - he after all is the one getting paid for his words; mine have no market value whatsoever.
    Turn this comment into a NFT and some mug will buy it
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

QTWTAIN.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

So we've done all the developing and then we are upset when developing countries want to do their own developing.

If all the developing countries develop in the same way that we developed, we'll look like this in a few thousand years' time. Birmingham for the win!

I don't believe that.

Let's start with the fact that 70 meters of sea level rise is an awful lot, given that 71% of the earth is covered by water. (And it would presumably be more like 75% in the event of a 70 meter rise in sea levels.)

I think about it like this. What proportion of the earth is covered by glaciers today? Let's go wildly high and say 5%. That's saying almost a fifth of the the land on earth is covered by a glaciers. Now, let's assume that those glaciers are an average depth of 100 meters (which seems awfully high, but we'll go with it).

That means an increase of around 7 meters in sea level. And that's based on some pretty enormous assumptions about amount of earth covered by glaciers, and for their average thickness.
    That's an official USG estimate, from NOAA, so I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-would-sea-level-change-if-all-glaciers-melted?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products
    I'm surprised that rcs would rubbish the number without actually looking at any data. I remember arguing with an internet troll many years ago about whether there was enough ice on Greenland to raise sea levels by 7m (there is) and found out that the average depth of the ice sheet there is well over a kilometre.

The estimate of 100m on average is ludicrously bad.
    7m matches with rcs's estimate though.

The rest of the ice seems to be in the centimetres, its the Greenland ice that's troubling (though its also extremely unlikely to all go anyway).

But even if that all melted which is extremly unlikely, then that's only at rcs's 7m estimate - where is the other 63m supposed to come from?
    Antarctica. 70m is from all land ice melting.

It's absurd that we are here in 2021 disputing how much ice there is on land as though a few randoms will know more about it than people who study the stuff.

Tragic and pathetic.
    This is pb.com! Nothing to stop people being experts at everything from trains to trade deals to vaccines to cricket to the economy to geology and then back to trans.
    The reason I overreacted (sorry about that) is that I've come to trust rcs as a poster with a greater than normal connection to reality and an interest in facts that goes beyond twisting them to win an argument. He's one of the posters more likely to provide a corrective to me when I've allowed what I want to be true to obscure what is true.

And now I've found that he's one of the guys who will pull random numbers out of his arse to dispute an inconvenient truth.

Disappointed.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

So we've done all the developing and then we are upset when developing countries want to do their own developing.

If all the developing countries develop in the same way that we developed, we'll look like this in a few thousand years' time. Birmingham for the win!

I don't believe that.

Let's start with the fact that 70 meters of sea level rise is an awful lot, given that 71% of the earth is covered by water. (And it would presumably be more like 75% in the event of a 70 meter rise in sea levels.)

I think about it like this. What proportion of the earth is covered by glaciers today? Let's go wildly high and say 5%. That's saying almost a fifth of the the land on earth is covered by a glaciers. Now, let's assume that those glaciers are an average depth of 100 meters (which seems awfully high, but we'll go with it).

That means an increase of around 7 meters in sea level. And that's based on some pretty enormous assumptions about amount of earth covered by glaciers, and for their average thickness.
    That's an official USG estimate, from NOAA, so I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-would-sea-level-change-if-all-glaciers-melted?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products
    I'm surprised that rcs would rubbish the number without actually looking at any data. I remember arguing with an internet troll many years ago about whether there was enough ice on Greenland to raise sea levels by 7m (there is) and found out that the average depth of the ice sheet there is well over a kilometre.

The rest of the ice seems to be in the centimetres, its the Greenland ice that's troubling (though its also extremely unlikely to all go anyway).

But even if that all melted which is extremly unlikely, then that's only at rcs's 7m estimate - where is the other 63m supposed to come from?

It's absurd that we are here in 2021 disputing how much ice there is on land as though a few randoms will know more about it than people who study the stuff.

Tragic and pathetic.
    This is pb.com! Nothing to stop people being experts at everything from trains to trade deals to vaccines to cricket to the economy to geology and then back to trans.
    The reason I overreacted (sorry about that) is that I've come to trust rcs as a poster with a greater than normal connection to reality and an interest in facts that goes beyond twisting them to win an argument. He's one of the posters more likely to provide a corrective to me when I've allowed what I want to be true to obscure what is true.

And now I've found that he's one of the guys who will pull random numbers out of his arse to dispute an inconvenient truth.

Disappointed.
    An apology even more oafish and point- missing then the original offence. Try again
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,246
    Putin's entire speech at Valdai is worth reading, even if it has become known for these paragraphs and others

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66975

"We look in amazement at the processes underway in the countries which have been traditionally looked at as the standard-bearers of progress. Of course, the social and cultural shocks that are taking place in the United States and Western Europe are none of our business; we are keeping out of this. Some people in the West believe that an aggressive elimination of entire pages from their own history, “reverse discrimination” against the majority in the interests of a minority, and the demand to give up the traditional notions of mother, father, family and even gender, they believe that all of these are the mileposts on the path towards social renewal."

"The advocates of so-called ‘social progress’ believe they are introducing humanity to some kind of a new and better consciousness. Godspeed, hoist the flags as we say, go right ahead. The only thing that I want to say now is that their prescriptions are not new at all. It may come as a surprise to some people, but Russia has been there already. After the 1917 revolution, the Bolsheviks, relying on the dogmas of Marx and Engels, also said that they would change existing ways and customs and not just political and economic ones, but the very notion of human morality and the foundations of a healthy society. The destruction of age-old values, religion and relations between people, up to and including the total rejection of family (we had that, too), encouragement to inform on loved ones – all this was proclaimed progress and, by the way, was widely supported around the world back then and was quite fashionable, same as today. By the way, the Bolsheviks were absolutely intolerant of opinions other than theirs."

He is right. He is absolutely right

Read it all. This is the best, smartest, most wisely wide-ranging speech I have heard from any global political leader in a decade. And this is PUTIN
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

There are those who claim he still walks amongst us, but I for one discount these rumours as the rantings of mystics.
    He will surely return to save us all when the aliens land.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611
    ….
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I don't believe that.

Tragic and pathetic.

Disappointed.
    An apology even more oafish and point- missing then the original offence. Try again
    Well it's nothing to do with you, so piss off.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Andy_JS said:

Former LD MP Lembit Opik on GB News expressing sceptical views about climate change, if I've understood him correctly.

Climate denial on GB News? Are you sure?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    Leon said:

Putin's entire speech at Valdai is worth reading, even if it has become known for these paragraphs and others

"We look in amazement at the processes underway in the countries which have been traditionally looked at as the standard-bearers of progress. Of course, the social and cultural shocks that are taking place in the United States and Western Europe are none of our business; we are keeping out of this. Some people in the West believe that an aggressive elimination of entire pages from their own history, “reverse discrimination” against the majority in the interests of a minority, and the demand to give up the traditional notions of mother, father, family and even gender, they believe that all of these are the mileposts on the path towards social renewal."

"The advocates of so-called ‘social progress’ believe they are introducing humanity to some kind of a new and better consciousness. Godspeed, hoist the flags as we say, go right ahead. The only thing that I want to say now is that their prescriptions are not new at all. It may come as a surprise to some people, but Russia has been there already. After the 1917 revolution, the Bolsheviks, relying on the dogmas of Marx and Engels, also said that they would change existing ways and customs and not just political and economic ones, but the very notion of human morality and the foundations of a healthy society. The destruction of age-old values, religion and relations between people, up to and including the total rejection of family (we had that, too), encouragement to inform on loved ones – all this was proclaimed progress and, by the way, was widely supported around the world back then and was quite fashionable, same as today. By the way, the Bolsheviks were absolutely intolerant of opinions other than theirs."

Read it all. This is the best, smartest, most wisely wide-ranging speech I have heard from any global political leader in a decade. And this is PUTIN

He's not right, he's right-wing. No surprise you're a Putin admirer tbh.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

The water closed briefly around my head. I resurfaced and looked around me, cold water dripping from my hair. The Thames. Blue. I looked right, then further right. Tourists riding The Wheel. Bankers on the river banks. Hot young women. London is BACK.
    For some reason, it was the bankers on the riverbanks line that got me. It actually made me L.O.L.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I don't believe that.

A quick google says you’re wrong.
    http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/what-is-the-global-volume-of-land-ice-and-how-is-it-changing/

(average depth of Greenland ice sheet is c.1500m)
    RCS’s top of the head calcs do sometimes contain a gross error he’s overlooked. In this case it’s that a chunk of that “covered by water” percentage is sea ice, including much of the Arctic and Antarctica, which is where a lot of the extra water would come from.
    How's that an error?

If the ice in those areas gets turned into water rising the sea level then the sea level will rise there every bit as much as it rises anywhere else.
    Erm if sea ice is floating on water then melting it will cause no change in sea level whatsoever. A gent by the name of Archimedes worked that one out about 2000 years ago. It is already displacing the sea just by floating on it. (This does not quite apply if it is anchored to nearby land)
    A common fallacy which ignores the fact that Archimedes is about mass, not volume. Icebergs melting raise sea level by about 2.6%

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/345381/does-the-sea-level-increase-if-an-iceberg-melts

https://wobbly.earth/post/archimedes/

https://phys.org/news/2010-04-icebergs-sea.html
    Raises sea level by 2.6%?

Shouldn't it be expressed in meters or centimeters, because 2.6% is relative to what?
    Yeah, I don't get that number.

Archimedes is about displacement, not about melting.

The ratio of densities of ice to water is 0.92, so ice takes up 108.7% of the space that that amount of water would, or water takes up only 92% of the volume of the ice that melts.
    I think it is because salt water is 2.5% more dense than a fresh water iceberg.
    Interesting physics question. If you mix a solution of volume A with a quantity of a solvent volume B, is the resultant volume A+B or something else (presumably it would be less than or equal to, but not greater than)?

I do not know the answer to that.

Edit: My guess is that it would be A+B, because the soluant is dissolved fully within the volume of the solvent, so the volume of the solvent in the solution is A, and the total volume of the solvent will be A+B, and hence that will be the volume.
    This must be the article referred to:
    https://academic.oup.com/gji/article/170/1/145/2019346

It suggests that the answer to your question (Volume of solution A mixed with pure solvent B, at least in the water/salt case) is slightly less than A+B, but not by much.

It also explains why melting floating ice raises the sea level (by the ratio of the density of sea water to fresh water) better than we managed here, but does say that melting ALL the floating ice, including the (fresh water) ice shelves would only raise sea levels by 4cm, and that this might take as long as 1000yrs.

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I don't believe that.

Tragic and pathetic.

Disappointed.
    Well it's nothing to do with you, so piss off.
    You seem to be a very angry person, although your dominant trait is of course extreme stupidity. Chill.

Leon said:

I dislike Putin, generally. He kills his enemies. But then, so does the POTUS, with drones (and so does Boris). And sometimes your wiser enemies, or rivals, see you better then you see yourself. Putin nails this here. Wokeness is Bolshevism, right down to the determined destruction of the family unit

Putin is a fascinating character, worthy of respect, along with due wariness and preparedness. He is certainly not some mad aggressive autocrat, he is not Hitler. He actually thinks
  • Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Not on wild swimming - on the middle class guardian reading obsession with wild swimming...
    Bored of eating avocados in Hackney, the woke are hitting wild water before the sewage gets there.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Interesting article but of course Christianity spread amongst ordinary people.

I have yet to see wokeness spread much beyond university campuses and elite liberal leaning graduates and even while BME people do have some sympathy with the need for whites to atone for slavery few have much truck with the cancel culture and erasing all our history. Many are also strong supporters of the traditional family
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,618
    UK cases by specimen date

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

It's a streak of revanchist bearshit. Putin is just doing the normal Putin thing of projecting his own faults onto others. His country is the intolerant one, jailing and murdering journalists by the dozen, invading neighbours, pumping out homophobic and race-baiting propaganda, toying with fascist themes whilst accusing liberals, soclialists and Jews of being Nazis. Strafing mosques in Syria with fire and chemicals then saying that Merkel is to blame for the wave of refugees that flee the barrel bombs and missiles.

If you really buy into Putin's crap, you are lost in a spiral of darkness deeper and darker than I thought.
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

UK Local R

Farooq said:

Leon said:

It's a streak of revanchist bearshit. Putin is just doing the normal Putin thing of projecting his own faults onto others. His country is the intolerant one, jailing and murdering journalists by the dozen, invading neighbours, pumping out homophobic and race-baiting propaganda, toying with fascist themes whilst accusing liberals, soclialists and Jews of being Nazis. Strafing mosques in Syria with fire and chemicals then saying that Merkel is to blame for the wave of refugees that flee the barrel bombs and missiles.

If you really buy into Putin's crap, you are lost in a spiral of darkness deeper and darker than I thought.
    Yawwwwwn
    edited November 2021
    UK case summary

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    edited November 2021
    This is apparently a daily occurance in LA at the moment: "As soon as the train stops, thieves start opening containers. It is quite well organized. This is the main line."

https://twitter.com/adamhousley/status/1454654911249928194

UK hospitals

UK deaths

• Leon said:

Leon said:

I dislike Putin, generally. He kills his enemies. But then, so does the POTUS, with drones (and so does Boris). And sometimes your wiser enemies, or rivals, see you better then you see yourself. Putin nails this here. Wokeness is Bolshevism, right down to the determined destruction of the family unit

Putin is a fascinating character, worthy of respect, along with due wariness and preparedness. He is certainly not some mad aggressive autocrat, he is not Hitler. He actually thinks
    I sense your D’Annunzio hard-on is raising its ugly head again.
    Age related data

Age related data scaled to 100K

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

We’ve been discussing at work. Last year I had some feedback on a cancer unit I teach asking if I could not use the terms men and women in reference to prostate and breast cancer FFS. Our homepage has an article about use of pronouns. A colleague specifically mentioned a black scientists ethnicity but did not mention others Jewishness in a recorded lecture.

It’s real, and it needs challenging. I dont want to upset anyone, but most of this crap is totally over the top.
    Leeds uni students have demanded all senior staff publish their pronouns apparently.

Students do/say/demand stupid stuff. Has ever been thus.

Now, if the university agree, that's different...

As for pronouns, some of my colleagues have it on their email signatures and twitter handles; I don't. I figure most people can take an informed guess at my preferred gender from my name and picture. If they get it wrong, I'll gently correct them, probably. No big deal. I can't say I'm bothered by other people publishing their pronouns (and I'll call them by whatever they ask). But I don't think anyone should be forced to.

To be fair, neither do I think we should be forced to link to the university's email disclaimer, which effectively says if we've said something stupid, untrue, libellous etc then please don't sue the uni as we're all a bunch of fuckwits and not their responsibility. But I suck it up and put the link on my emails. If we we were asked by the uni to out our pronouns then I'd probably do that too.
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I am no Putin fan but Leon has some sensible points. Eastern Europe is largely still immune from wokeism and committed to traditional values and Putin encapsulates that. He also recognises climate change is real even if he wants to take action on it in a way that does not damage the Russian economy.

Remember too you can still legally be homosexual in Russia and not be arrested even if it does not have gay marriage, that is a long way from the situation in most of North Africa and the Middle East. It was also Putin's airforce which played a key role in helping Assad defeat ISIS which was of great benefit to us all
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Former LD MP Lembit Opik on GB News expressing sceptical views about climate change, if I've understood him correctly.

Climate denial on GB News? Are you sure?
    I was mostly referring to Lembit Opik, not GB News.
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Students do/say/demand stupid stuff. Has ever been thus.

Now, if the university agree, that's different...

As for pronouns, some of my colleagues have it on their email signatures and twitter handles; I don't. I figure most people can take an informed guess at my preferred gender from my name and picture. If they get it wrong, I'll gently correct them, probably. No big deal. I can't say I'm bothered by other people publishing their pronouns (and I'll call them by whatever they ask). But I don't think anyone should be forced to.

To be fair, neither do I think we should be forced to link to the university's email disclaimer, which effectively says if we've said something stupid, untrue, libellous etc then please don't sue the uni as we're all a bunch of fuckwits and not their responsibility. But I suck it up and put the link on my emails. If we we were asked by the uni to out our pronouns then I'd probably do that too.
    I'm hoping Charles III's first pronouncement will be that they wish to be called Their Majesty
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

It's commonplace in workplaces with younger staff, though usually optional. In your signature you indicate how you want to be called, e.g. Rottenborough (he/him). I don't bother with it myself, but most of my colleagues do, and nearly all the younger ones. The argument is that it's much like saying "call me Fred" or "call me Freddie" - why shouldn't people decide how they'd like to be addressed?

The only woke angle is that there's an implication that it's up to you, and all choices are equally acceptable. I don't have a problem with that.

Leon said:

Leon said:

I thought D’Annunzio was into the whole free-love thing, rather than a protector of the traditional family?
    Any predictions for the Virginia election?
  • Andy_JS said:

Sounds too close to call.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Same here. This is the only place I see it. Not sure if most people I know would actually know what it means. Seems a type of paranoia for some.
    Yes, likewise. I just used it myself, but only in reply to someone else.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Sounds nuts non gender specific gonads. The first one. The second seems fairly inoffensive to me, depending on content (maybe we have one too, can't remember the last time I saw the uni home page) and the third too - again, depends on context. Was it the mentioning black or not mentioning Jewish that was the problem?

Not an issue (wokeness) that I've come across. I would say we don't fuss about such nonsense in Yorkshire, but note the other comment about Leeds and didn't York have a pride zebra crossing (that seemed daft as it wasn't immediately clear that it was a zebra crossing, having completely different colours and even shapes, I think). Still, it was when there was actually no one there, in lockdown.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281

UK deaths

I'm afraid your deaths graph bears no resemblance at all to the data on the official site, eg:

29 Oct - Official site has 58, you have zero
    28 Oct - Official site has 133, you have just under 120

As far as deaths are concerned, I think the graph on the official site is far more meaningful - the 7 day average is properly centred and the 3 month and 6 month graphs give a far better feel for the position.
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

You're not an idiot, TUD. You and I disagree vehemently on Scottish Nationalism, but I believe we disagree on principled grounds. I do not want to see the UK dismembered, you believe Scotland has a national destiny which demands this. But we respectfully differ

Read Putin's speech and tell me he has not correctly identified sicknesses within the West. I believe he has
    Andy_JS said:

Youngkin to win, remember the last time the GOP won the Virginia governorship was in 2009 when Bob McDonnell won it in the first year of Obama's presidency.

Obama at the time had higher approval ratings than Biden does now
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I am no Putin fan but Leon has some sensible points. Eastern Europe is largely still immune from wokeism and committed to traditional values and Putin encapsulates that. He also recognises climate change is real even if he wants to take action on it in a way that does not damage the Russian economy.

Remember too you can still legally be homosexual in Russia and not be arrested even if it does not have gay marriage, that is a long way from the situation in most of North Africa and the Middle East. It was also Putin's airforce which played a key role in helping Assad defeat ISIS which was of great benefit to us all
    But does he make the trains run on time?

Andy_JS said:

Sounds too close to call.
    Certainly does. 538 has Youngkin ahead by 1%, 47.8% to 46.8%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/governor/virginia/

It's commonplace in workplaces with younger staff, though usually optional. In your signature you indicate how you want to be called, e.g. Rottenborough (he/him). I don't bother with it myself, but most of my colleagues do, and nearly all the younger ones. The argument is that it's much like saying "call me Fred" or "call me Freddie" - why shouldn't people decide how they'd like to be addressed?

The only woke angle is that there's an implication that it's up to you, and all choices are equally acceptable. I don't have a problem with that.
    Like you, I don’t bother. And nor do I care. People take one look at me and automatically call me him/he. If they wish to call me they/she/zi/latinx that’s fine with me. Yet no-one does.

• Leeds uni students have demanded all senior staff publish their pronouns apparently.

At work I’m normally addressed as “sir”…
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

For this "Welease Woger", much thanks.

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

....Childish language!

"We won't roll over...."

Same here. This is the only place I see it. Not sure if most people I know would actually know what it means. Seems a type of paranoia for some.
    Yes, likewise. I just used it myself, but only in reply to someone else.
    I'm a freelancer but I have a kind of boss. She has just had her THIRD compulsory 90 minute seminar and exam on "diversity awareness" in 18 months

She said this one was comparatively mild, but the first two were basically brainwashing. You HAVE to agree with some quite controversial statements (eg "race does not exist and is a social construct) or you fail, and then it all gets worse

God bless her Maj.

Brilliantly timed intervention.

Given that they keep telling everyone not to have any children to save the planet, I'm not sure how great an appeal it is to say we're doing this for "our children and our children's children."

If forced, I'll put mine as Dr/Dr's :wink:

A gender neutral singular would be handy. I've certainly found myself in situations talking about someone I've never met, with an unfamiliar name and not knowing the gender. Happens on here too, of course. When I don't know, I often use he/she, but that's ugly. 'they' also grates for one person.
  • New thread

• Selebian said:

If forced, I'll put mine as Dr/Dr's :wink:

A gender neutral singular would be handy. I've certainly found myself in situations talking about someone I've never met, with an unfamiliar name and not knowing the gender. Happens on here too, of course. When I don't know, I often use he/she, but that's ugly. 'they' also grates for one person.
    “They” was used by Jane Austin in that way, I seem to remember.

Having said that, I don’t want anyone saying he/him to me: my name, sir (if a student or some of the younger staff), or you. Who would you ever address in the third person?
    Andy_JS said:

God bless her Maj.

Brilliantly timed intervention.

Given that they keep telling everyone not to have any children to save the planet, I'm not sure how great an appeal it is to say we're doing this for "our children and our children's children."
    'Our child and our child's child'

This thread has been sent to Siberia for seditious promotion of non-traditional lifestyles

edited November 2021
    MikeL said:

UK deaths

I'm afraid your deaths graph bears no resemblance at all to the data on the official site, eg:

29 Oct - Official site has 58, you have zero
    28 Oct - Official site has 133, you have just under 120

As far as deaths are concerned, I think the graph on the official site is far more meaningful - the 7 day average is properly centred and the 3 month and 6 month graphs give a far better feel for the position.
    That's because I accidentally uploaded yesterdays, instead of todays. Thank you for noticing

As to which graph is more demonstrative.... well, they show different things I think....

This would be interesting (but sadly the Welsh data is not being provided)

https://i.imgur.com/DMIfzER.jpg

It's a link so that it doesn't kill the PB comments by slow loading
This discussion has been closed.