Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This polling trend doesn’t look good for ministers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited October 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

1.5 million who have been invited for their booster have not turned up

That's still fewer than the two million people eligible for booster jabs who have not yet been invited to make appointments.
    That's a massive fucking problem. Something else my university friend pointed out was that 6 months is a long gap even for an early programme like ours. A gap of 4.5 months would work better for the UK as almost all 32m people in groups 1-9 become eligible by the end of November rather than by the end of December. The efficacy difference for that extra wait will be "tiny" based on the trial data and evidence from Israel vs our own data.
    He also blames the JCVI for this, saying they've taken too lax an attitude to booster shots, especially for people aged 60+.

I liked his idea of making everyone eligible for a third dose and making three doses of vaccine a complete course.
    Austria has a time limit of 270 days on vaccinations. What happens when someone under 50 wants to go on holiday there ?
    Perhaps there should be a private option for healthy non-eligible under 50s as there is for flu now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

That suggests to me something has gone systemically wrong with the invitations.
    People ignoring them no doubt
    Email software classifying them as spam so they are never seen?
    Ours were by post and text follow ups
    But you live in Wales, land of Mark Drakeford, he has been awesome on the vaccine rollout.

You don't know how lucky you are to have him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57270903
    Are you saying England do not issue letters and follow up texts
    You are missing the point.

How can there be any follow up when the original invitation hasn't been sent, in any form?
    Maybe you should go online
    We have.

I mean I had my booster jab three weeks ago but I know people who are eligible for their jabs like now, they go online (or I on their behalf) and get told they aren't eligible then call 119 who are way too busy.

But you keep on defending this screw up.
    I thought you said you had not had your booster and actually before my 82 year old wife and I

JCVI were wrong on their delayed advice and I do not come at this from an anti HMG stance
    Big G the issue is that of the 7.5m eligible people for booster jabs only 5.5m have been added to the list. 2m people who are past their 6 months aren't able to book appointments because the government hasn't added their names to the list of people who can book. It's a big problem and I'm grateful that both of my parents were contacted but really worrying for those people who are still waiting and wondering whether they will get their chance.

I don't think it's an issue to acknowledge that this needs to be fixed ASAP so everyone can get their opportunity to be safe for the winter.
    Do we know of any pattern of who has or hasn't been added? Geography, age, health records, etc?
    No details, just that 2m people haven't been provisioned despite being eligible.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited October 2021
    Just in case you missed it, genius from Matt a day or two ago

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1449406515027263490
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

murali_s said:

moonshine said:

That suggests to me something has gone systemically wrong with the invitations.
    People ignoring them no doubt
    If 1.5 million people are ignoring them, something has gone wrong.
    4 million have received the booster so 5.5 million invitations issued

Just over 20% not taking it up
    How much of that 20% are health and social workers? And how many are because of the chaotic organisational skills of most gp surgeries?
    BigG won't have a bad word said against this competent and caring Government led by a titan of a PM. They are the bee's knees aren't they BigG?
    You obviously do not follow my posts where I have been very critical of the government and indeed I am not a member of the conservative party anymore

The problem for many of is that the other parties are worse
    I'm with you on that,

I've also left the party, a couple of months ago, but for the moment at least all the other party's appear even worse.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Lets hope so while there's still a country to save. If anyone can say that they've ever heard more concerted discontent with any government than they have with this one then they don't live in the UK.

Or they could live in one of the 28 European countries (including Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Greece) that rank lower down the "UN Happiness Index" than the UK:

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/non-economic-data/happiest-countries-europe

The only large European country ahead of the UK is Germany.
    Albeit, there are a lot of *small* European countries ahead of us. In order...

Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg, Austria, Germany and Ireland...
    Yes, but if you take countries with a population larger than 10 million and who don't have any territory in the Arctic circle, and who don't share a border with Belgium, then I think you'll find we're number 1.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited October 2021
    TimS said:

Interesting chat with a colleague today which shines a light on the challenge Labour are facing. Proper lefty, young and urban based, avowed remainer, "woke" in the various ways the anti-woke would bristle at...but commented in a chat today that, and I quote, "I think Boris understands what the public wants, and Labour just seem to want to lock us down forever" (dear reader: neither is true, but it's easy to see why he gets this impression) and "at least you can rely on Boris to deliver on his promises" (what?? has he been watching these last 2 years?? It turns out this last comment is based on him having delivered Brexit, and acted on his promise to break international law).

Then on the flip side there are people like me who a. would answer that yes, I think things in Great Britain are moving in the right direction, and b. would not vote for that rabble who call themselves a government if you paid me.

I can understand the frustration amongst the young and woke with Labour under Starmer. At least under Corbyn there was some excitement, a sense of being in a radical moment and on the cusp of some sort of societal change.

Starmer is like this ultra sensible, boring adult; who wants to appeal to an imagined cohort of sensible adult voters, overlooking the fact that the same people recently elected a clown as prime minister, plunging the country in to chaos, and all the polls show that they want more of the same.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

How many of that 1.5m have received the invitation but have not yet up for the jab... because the appointment is always going to be a week or two after the invite?

• Options
    @Sen_JoeManchin has told associates that he is considering leaving the Democratic Party. And he already has an exit plan.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1450872552914620424
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    edited October 2021

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Which of the following Prime Minister’s would you choose to have handled the Covid-19 outbreak?

Margaret Thatcher - 29%
    Tony Blair - 14%
    Gordon Brown - 10%
    Boris Johnson- 9%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1450843236474494977?s=20

Brown is too low there. He should be top on this one. Look how he coordinated the global response to the bank crash. The GLOBAL response, note.
    Hahahaha

HAHAHA
    Did I put the 'joke' symbol on that post? No, I don't think I did. So ...
    When the history of this era is written, I'm not sure that being associated with the decisions taken in 2008 (not to mention the regulatory framework in the preceding decade) will be seen as a positive.
    No need to wait, the verdict is in. The financial sector lost its marbles and politicians, regulators and central banks on both sides of the Atlantic were fooled or colluded. The co-ordinated crisis response by governments (which Brown played a key role in formulating) is about the only thing that will emerge with any credit from the whole shitshow. It is utterly astonishing (and dispiriting) to me that a scandal of such magnitude caused primarily by unfettered greed and incompetence in uber capitalist institutions which then had to be bailed out with the bill foisted on ordinary people led to a shift right in politics not left. Grrrr.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Another issue I'm having with the booster jab (and so are a few other people I've spoken to), the booster jab isn't showing in our vaccine record in the NHS App.

We were told at the time of the booster jab it would show in the NHS App within a week.

It's supposed to take 48 hours perhaps 72 Max to update once on the system. At our Hospital Hub we aim to get it on the National database that same day so the app can update as quickly as possible. So it all depends on when it was put on and then how quickly the software communicates with each each other.

On a separate note I have a sore arm from my booster this morning. But it's a happy ache in my eyes, so relieved to finally get my booster.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Which bunch of clowns do you prefer is the main question. As I post this I'm listening to Javid. Not inspiring.

I guess he's not so bad, but he is worse than Hancock.

Labour would of course be far, far worse.

LD's, Greens - they just don't have the people. The only good LD MP is Weira Hobhouse.

Wera Hobhouse is a nutjob who thinks 5G might have some connection to Covid.

The only good LibDem MP is Alistair Carmichael, if only because he winds @malcolmg up rotten.
    I was up in the Orkney islands this summer, (lovely place) which is Alister Carmichaels constituency, and by chance found myself standing outside of his constituency office, his name was in big letter, but id could not find a single bit that sead Labral Democrats anywhere. Nothing wrong with that, maybe sensible for him in that constancy, but I did think it was odd.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited October 2021

How many of that 1.5m have received the invitation but have not yet up for the jab... because the appointment is always going to be a week or two after the invite?

I do not know but that was the figure announced at the press conference

As they will have had both vaccines it seems reasonable to assume the letters were addressed correctly so either they are being ignored or people do not think the booster matters
  • Options

As they will have had both vaccines it seems reasonable to assume the letters were addressed correctly so either they are being ignored or people do not think the booster matters
    Oh my sweet summer child...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is it not ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is it not ?
    No, it's not.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is it not ?
    No, it's not.
    Why

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited October 2021
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Which bunch of clowns do you prefer is the main question. As I post this I'm listening to Javid. Not inspiring.

LD's, Greens - they just don't have the people. The only good LD MP is Weira Hobhouse.

The only good LibDem MP is Alistair Carmichael, if only because he winds @malcolmg up rotten.
    I was up in the Orkney islands this summer, (lovely place) which is Alister Carmichaels constituency, and by chance found myself standing outside of his constituency office, his name was in big letter, but id could not find a single bit that sead Labral Democrats anywhere. Nothing wrong with that, maybe sensible for him in that constancy, but I did think it was odd.
    The explanation is simple, AIUI. In Scotland, Holyrood constituency offices are paid for by the Scottish Parliament, and the MP is not allowed to use them for parrty advertising - in this case Liam McArthur MSP shares his with his fellow LD Mr Carmichael.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2021

Pulpstar said:

Is it not ?
    No, it's not.
    Why

Never assume. It makes an ass out of u and me.

Something could have gone wrong with the distribution of the letters. Something could be wrong with the database. Something could be wrong with the addresses on file.

Plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Relying on mail for this isn't very good.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

The explanation is simple, AIUI. In Scotland, Holyrood constituency offices are paid for by the Scottish Parliament, and the MP is not allowed to use them for parrty advertising - in this case Liam McArthur MSP shares his with his fellow LD Mr Carmichael.
    Thanks, That makes sense,
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited October 2021

Pulpstar said:

Is it not ?
    No, it's not.
    Why

Never assume. It makes an ass out of u and me.

Something could have gone wrong with the distribution of the letters. Something could be wrong with the database. Something could be wrong with the addresses on file.

Plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Relying on mail for this isn't very good.
    Fair comment and even email could default to junk but 1.5 million invites have not all gone astray by some distance and patient resistance must be a considerable factor
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    It seems the US is going to role out the vacine for 5-11 year olds.

https://hotair.com/headlines/2021/10/20/white-house-rolls-out-plan-to-vaccinate-kids-ages-5-to-11-against-covid-n423631

Don't know if its been commented on here before. but FWIW I think parents of kids should decide, and if if a parent feels they whish there kid to have it then they should regardless of age.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options

UK local R

Thanks for sharing all of there,

Do you mind me asking, haw are they sorted? id does not appear to be ether by alphabetical name, or numeric values.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2021
    Don't know if this has been posted yet:
    https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/nowcasting-and-forecasting-20th-october-2021/

Suggests the 'attack rate' amongst 5-14 year olds is about 76%. 76%! It can't be long until infections in that age group collapse.
  • Options

As I said in a previous thread I got both an invite via my GP and via NHS-Noreply. Now I've had an email invite as well despite having made my appointment via my GP survey. How the he'll do they know how many people have responded to which invite??
  • Options

As I said in a previous thread I got both an invite via my GP and via NHS-Noreply. Now I've had an email invite as well despite having made my appointment via my GP survey. How the he'll do they know how many people have responded to which invite??
    Surgery .... and hell. Bloody autocorrect.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    jonny83 said:

Another issue I'm having with the booster jab (and so are a few other people I've spoken to), the booster jab isn't showing in our vaccine record in the NHS App.

We were told at the time of the booster jab it would show in the NHS App within a week.

It's supposed to take 48 hours perhaps 72 Max to update once on the system. At our Hospital Hub we aim to get it on the National database that same day so the app can update as quickly as possible. So it all depends on when it was put on and then how quickly the software communicates with each each other.

On a separate note I have a sore arm from my booster this morning. But it's a happy ache in my eyes, so relieved to finally get my booster.
    I had my booster more than 3 weeks ago and it doesn't show.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/nowcasting-and-forecasting-20th-october-2021/

Suggests the 'attack rate' amongst 5-14 year olds is about 76%. 76%! It can't be long until infections in that age group collapse.

Every time I happen to pass a child in the street it seems they're sneezing, coughing and blowing their noses. I cross the road.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited October 2021
    BigRich said:

Newcastle should be relegated if their fans continue to engage in this shocking racism and bigotry.

Newcastle United have asked supporters to stop wearing tea towels and other home-made headdresses to matches as a way of celebrating the club’s takeover by the Saudi Arabian-funded consortium.

Hundreds of fans attended St James’ Park for Sunday’s defeat by Tottenham Hotspur dressed in fake Arabic-style clothing in what was the first match since the club were bought for £305 million by the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

The anti-racism group Kick It Out had planned talks with Newcastle after the decision of many fans to wear tea towels to mimmick the traditional keffiyeh headdress. The club has responded by urging supporters to refrain from dressing in “culturally inappropriate” clothes so not to cause offence.

“Newcastle United is kindly asking supporters to refrain from wearing traditional Arabic clothing or Middle East-inspired head coverings at matches if they would not ordinarily wear such attire,” the statement read.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newcastle-united-tell-fans-to-stop-wearing-culturally-inappropriate-head-coverings-as-saudi-tribute-qvgqd95mh

Do Saudis or other Arabs take offence at seeing people where such things?

In my limited experience, living in the Midal East for 7 months, some of my fronds took to wearing the big wight garment, that many Arabs where (sorry cant remember the name) mostly because of the heat, and nobody seemed offended.
    Do we get offended when Africans, Asians or Arabs wear business suits? No. But they are doing it to fit in, not to take the piss.

So I think context matters. In Yemen, I would often get home from the Embassy, take off my suit and dress shirt, and put on a futa (like a sarong) to wear around the house. Just because it was way more comfortable (and way less offensive to Yemenis than shorts).
  • Options

@Sen_JoeManchin has told associates that he is considering leaving the Democratic Party. And he already has an exit plan.

Wonder which Committee Chair McConnell has offered him ...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Evening all :)

If this has been mentioned already, apologies, but a number of polls from France are showing a Zemmour candidacy outpolling Marine Le Pen in the first round of voting.

This would be extraordinary if it happened - I've not seen any polling on a Macron-Zemmour runoff in round two. It seems to make little difference who the centre-right put up as a candidate - every option is behind Zemmour be it Pecresse, Barnier or Bertrand. The last named does the best at 14% in one poll, two points behind Le Pen and three points behind Zemmour.
  • Options
    Got to admire the Irish PM, he tells a member of the Dáil to shut the f up.

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1450843167020957703
  • Options
    BigRich said:

https://hotair.com/headlines/2021/10/20/white-house-rolls-out-plan-to-vaccinate-kids-ages-5-to-11-against-covid-n423631

Don't know if its been commented on here before. but FWIW I think parents of kids should decide, and if if a parent feels they whish there kid to have it then they should regardless of age.

Yes, with the proviso that it is tested safe for that age cohort and by 'regardless of age' we mean older than 6 months.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

The biggest news from that conference:

If not been contacted for a booster within a week of being eligible

Go online https://nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/book-or-manage-a-booster-dose-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/ or call 119 and book in.

Spread it around.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1450863057329131530?s=20

If you go that link it says you can only make the appointment if you have been sent an invite.

When my 6 months has expired I will try the link again and see whether it will allow me to make a booking.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    stodge said:

If this has been mentioned already, apologies, but a number of polls from France are showing a Zemmour candidacy outpolling Marine Le Pen in the first round of voting.

This would be extraordinary if it happened - I've not seen any polling on a Macron-Zemmour runoff in round two. It seems to make little difference who the centre-right put up as a candidate - every option is behind Zemmour be it Pecresse, Barnier or Bertrand. The last named does the best at 14% in one poll, two points behind Le Pen and three points behind Zemmour.

Macron seems a bit short (no pun intended :))
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

How many times has a governing party lost more than 50 seats at an election?

Since WWII.

2010, 1997, 1979, 1970, 1964, 1950, and 1945.

Edit - Honourable mention to the Lib Dems who lost 49 seats at the 2015 GE.
    Looking at those dates... Have we been looking at it the wrong way?

The orthodoxy is that the Conservatives are safe until 2028ish, because whoever heard of a governing party losing lots of seats.

Maybe the issue is that it's hard for a government to change without a lot of seats shifting.

(And on current polling, not enough seats are shifting... Yet. I wonder what a 1977/8 Politicalbetting, run on postcards maybe, would have said, though?)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2021
    Zemmour is a bizarre phenomenon, but also explicable in the age of trump. A deliberate provocateur seeking to break every taboo ; a jewish man seeking to revive the myth of Dreyfus's guilt ; with the aim of reviving the most toxic form of early twentieth-century french nationalism and catholic reaction.

I pray France has a lucky escape, and it does look as if Macron would easily beat him - one hopes.
  • Options

I handed seen that report, but I did post something similar on the last thread. according to ONS servay data, in the week ending 9 October 8.1% of 10-14 Year olds tested positive, and its gone up since them. If 76% have already had it, then less than 3 weeks at this rate till they have all had it it.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

UK local R

{Malmesbury's Big Ugly Table Removed}

Thanks for sharing all of there,

Do you mind me asking, haw are they sorted? id does not appear to be ether by alphabetical name, or numeric values.
    Sum the numbers on each row, sort highest to lowest. Bit crude... but puts the interesting stuff at the top
  • Options
    The coterie of amateur epidemiologists, virologists and immunologists who inhabit this site re-assured me last evening there was nothing to worry about as even after six months the efficacy afforded by two AstraZeneca vaccinations is still going to be adequate.

As my six months isn't up until the end of next month, I won't worry too much at this stage.

I am told by Mrs Stodge Japan is doing very well in case of case numbers and deaths - are they further ahead of us in terms of vaccinations or is their mask wearing culture helping to reduce transmission?

Interesting to read Sajid Javid's comments - there's a strong element of throwing it back to the public in terms of getting booster vaccinations and mask wearing. Anecdotally, I hear of more mask wearing again on public transport so clearly a frisson of anxiety is out there. OTOH, the politics of curtailing Christmas in any way, shape or form probably isn't something Johnson wants to think about.
  • Options
    Where's the "What will daily cases peak at" thread we had a while back ?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    TimT said:

BigRich said:

Yes, with the proviso that it is tested safe for that age cohort and by 'regardless of age' we mean older than 6 months.
    I wonder if Valneva might be the best vaccine for kids ?
    It doesn't give the nABs that Pfizer or Moderna do but it is inactived virus so the antibodies produced would be across the whole viral spectrum - which is one argument I could think of against the sole spike vaccines being used in younger kids (Might be a good idea for their bodies to see the whole virus at a young age, Valneva solves that).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TimT said:

Manchin would go from the most powerful Senator in the Senate to an irrelevance overnight.

It would be a wild move from him.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

Manchin would go from the most powerful Senator in the Senate to an irrelevance overnight.

He'd definitely hold WV in the GOP though. Independent would be just daft for him as a career move.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As mich as I bag on Andrew "there's chance of a second wave in London" Lilco he's probably right that we are close to cases saturating kids and as a result case numbers stabalising.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    stodge said:

The coterie of amateur epidemiologists, virologists and immunologists who inhabit this site re-assured me last evening there was nothing to worry about as even after six months the efficacy afforded by two AstraZeneca vaccinations is still going to be adequate.

As my six months isn't up until the end of next month, I won't worry too much at this stage.

I am told by Mrs Stodge Japan is doing very well in case of case numbers and deaths - are they further ahead of us in terms of vaccinations or is their mask wearing culture helping to reduce transmission?

Interesting to read Sajid Javid's comments - there's a strong element of throwing it back to the public in terms of getting booster vaccinations and mask wearing. Anecdotally, I hear of more mask wearing again on public transport so clearly a frisson of anxiety is out there. OTOH, the politics of curtailing Christmas in any way, shape or form probably isn't something Johnson wants to think about.

FFS. What sort of psychodrama is it where we have re-runs of "Boris fights to save Christmas" every year. Its even worse than "Love Actually".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

For what its worth My money is on 26th October, i.e. next Tuesday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

He'd definitely hold WV in the GOP though. Independent would be just daft for him as a career move.
    I'd back a QAnon Trumpster to Primary him.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

Interesting exchange at the end of this evening's press conference. Javid and the medics had repeatedly emphasised that government guidance was to continue wearing masks in busy, enclosed spaces - public transport and the like. He was asked why, in the HoC, those on the opposition benches were masked up, but those on the government benches weren't. To my surprise, he didn't shrug it off, but admitted that it was a fair point and that it didn't look good - he didn't quite say it was an example of 'do as I say, not as I do', but not far off.

Worth watching. It'll be interesting to see if an edict goes out to Tory MPs to mask up in the HoC in future.

The Commons chamber is a fairly big and airy space. Not sure it counts as an enclosed space.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

stodge said:

In what way?

I've neither seen a single poll where any other candidate gets near him on the second round nor a poll where he isn't leading the first round.

He beats Le Pen on every run off poll and I suspect he would beat Zemmour by a larger margin. The only hope for those opposed to Macron is for Bertrand perhaps to get past the warring Zemmour and Le Pen candidacies and snatch second - it's feasible.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

FFS. What sort of psychodrama is it where we have re-runs of "Boris fights to save Christmas" every year. Its even worse than "Love Actually".
    Quite so. Am I the only person in the country who finds all this talk of Christmas, starting in September, incredibly boring? It seems rather sad to spend months worrying about, or planning for, the big day, and Boris and the tabloids just fuel this. I don't have a problem with Christmas, but I don't really give it a thought until about 10 days before the big event (apart from ordering cases of wine for the grown-up kids, which takes about 10 minutes).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Zemmour is a bizarre phenomenon, but also explicable in the age of trump. A deliberate provocateur seeking to break every taboo ; a jewish man seeking to revive the myth of Dreyfus's guilt ; with the aim of reviving the most toxic form of early twentieth-century french nationalism and catholic reaction.

I pray France has a lucky escape, and it does look as if Macron would easily beat him - one hopes.

There are a couple of similarities to Trump's run during the primaries in that he has the ability to turn attacks to his advantage, and the media love to talk about him.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    stodge said:

Omnium said:

stodge said:

In what way?

I've neither seen a single poll where any other candidate gets near him on the second round nor a poll where he isn't leading the first round.

He beats Le Pen on every run off poll and I suspect he would beat Zemmour by a larger margin. The only hope for those opposed to Macron is for Bertrand perhaps to get past the warring Zemmour and Le Pen candidacies and snatch second - it's feasible.
    Zemmour is a pretty weak candidate, IMHO.

Macron is very lucky with his enemies.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Pulpstar https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3485783/#Comment_3485783
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Negative PCR but feeling awful again. This illness is very annoying.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

I suspect that he has leached this, as a way of saying to fellow Dems, don't presser me to much or I might jump.
  • Options

Interesting exchange at the end of this evening's press conference. Javid and the medics had repeatedly emphasised that government guidance was to continue wearing masks in busy, enclosed spaces - public transport and the like. He was asked why, in the HoC, those on the opposition benches were masked up, but those on the government benches weren't. To my surprise, he didn't shrug it off, but admitted that it was a fair point and that it didn't look good - he didn't quite say it was an example of 'do as I say, not as I do', but not far off.

Worth watching. It'll be interesting to see if an edict goes out to Tory MPs to mask up in the HoC in future.

The Commons chamber is a fairly big and airy space. Not sure it counts as an enclosed space.
    With hundreds of MPs it definitely fits the bill.
  • Options

Good you are negative but maybe rest as much as you can
  • Options
    Sajid: "My ambulance is about to crash, but I'm not going to apply Plan B for "brakes"."
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Well, it was absolutely heaving the other day for the tributes to David Amess (rightly so), and looked pretty enclosed to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    stodge said:

As an aside, Ms Le Pen has rather brought this on herself. She has moved so far to the centre that it's pretty easy for her to be outflanked.
  • Options
    We are in big trouble.

It is absolutely absurd masks are not being warn already by people on public transport and in shops. I continue to mask up.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

I suspect that he has leached this, as a way of saying to fellow Dems, don't presser me to much or I might jump.
    That makes sense. You may well be right.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

@Pulpstar https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3485783/#Comment_3485783
    "200,000 Friday 14th January, 2022."

I'm claiming a moral victory if restrictions are brought in over winter.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

That is my read too but I have no special knowledge.

He's doing incredible damage to the reconcilliation bill, making it a total mess. However from a Dem point if view he is absolutely vital in voting through their judicial appointments
  • Options

We are in big trouble.

It is absolutely absurd masks are not being warn already by people on public transport and in shops. I continue to mask up.

Good for you mate
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Sajid: "My ambulance is about to crash, but I'm not going to apply Plan B for "brakes"."

Nailed it Sunil! :)
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2021

We are in big trouble.

What terrible luck that we have this shower as a Government and this disingenuous clown as PM. Of course and as ever we, the people, are the architects of this clusterf*ck!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Could the Labour right be plotting to solve the Corbyn issue in lthe party ?

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1450884568744185866?s=21
  • Options

People may wish to adopt the brace position and put on seatbelts but we will not mandate it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

As an aside, Ms Le Pen has rather brought this on herself. She has moved so far to the centre that it's pretty easy for her to be outflanked.
    The fascinating thing is while Le Pen is down a little and Macron is stable at about 25%, the big victims of the rise of Zemmour have been LR and the Socialists. Bertrand is polling at 14% while Fillon got 20% in the first round last time and Pecresse and Barnier are polling at half and 40% of Fillon's numbers respectively.

Melanchon's numbers have slumped to 8.5% from 19.6% in 2017.

That "suggests" Zemmour isn't getting his support from Le Pen or perhaps that Le Pen has hoovered up some LR votes but not quite enough to compensate for those lost to Zemmour.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Those figures below are pretty frightening tbh.

I read earlier this evening that the new variant is concentrated in parts of the S West. And then you see the extraordinarily high R rates in your table all clustered in the M5 corridor from Bristol upwards, far above those in the rest of the country. Clearly that's the focal point of the new variant for now, and those rates mean that it's going to spread out very rapidly to the rest of the country. The new variant is far more virulent than it is being given credit for.

Government inaction today is absolutely breathtaking. Exhortations dont work. These are pleas to idiots who don't give a damn that their failure to do the right thing is going to plunge everyone back into the abyss. For goodness sake, do something effective to get the vaccination programme going again, fast.

UK local R

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

What if he ran for President as an Indie
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

I read earlier this evening that the new variant is concentrated in parts of the S West. And then you see the extraordinarily high R rates in your table all clustered in the M5 corridor from Bristol upwards, far above those in the rest of the country. Clearly that's the focal point of the new variant for now, and those rates mean that it's going to spread out very rapidly to the rest of the country. The new variant is far more virulent than it is being given credit for.

Government inaction today is absolutely breathtaking. Exhortations dont work. These are pleas to idiots who don't give a damn that their failure to do the right thing is going to plunge everyone back into the abyss. For goodness sake, do something effective to get the vaccination programme going again, fast.

UK local R

The rates in the south are not clear, due to the incorrect tests over the last 5 weeks. I think that a lot of people are getting retested and inflating the numbers, as those positives should have been picked up in the previous few weeks. We will see. It’s possible that the new variant is here too, but I think we need more data, and let the testing issue work it’s way through.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

He wouldn't win a single state.

Dems would hate him for being a rat whilst the Trumpites would scold him for being a Dem his entire life.
  • Options

UK local R

The Bristol "AYlright my lover 4.2" variant
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

UK local R

The extreme high rates of R are an artefact of re-testing lots of people in a short space of time after lab problems with false negatives.

It doesn't reflect the true progression of infection.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353

Onthread ...

It had to be bad for Ministers , it wouldn't have been thread had it been the other way round.
  • Options
    I still can’t fathom why the government didn’t put in place funding and up the numbers for places on nursing and other medical degrees in time for September. The nhs is fucked

Unless they did of course.
  • Options

Google (or bing) "super cold". There's a lot of it about, as doctors say.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

Unless he calculates that he cannot get reelected as a Democrat.
  • Options

Onthread ...

It had to be bad for Ministers , it wouldn't have been thread had it been the other way round.

Of course it wouldn’t be a thread without you complaining about it either.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

Unless he calculates that he cannot get reelected as a Democrat.
    Manchin is denying that he's going to leave the Democratic party https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog/reconciliation-biden-white-house-takes-shape?entry=1391488
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

TimT said:

I would love to see him try. or almost anybody other than Biden and trump.

The normal rule that 3rd party's get nowhere in US politics has proved accurate for a long time, and it may still be accurate but maybe Trump/Biden have broken that?

If I was to speculate on who could win as a 3rd party candonids I would say Mitt Romeny with Kyrsten Sinema as his VP. but maybe Manchin could?
  • Options
  • Options

Onthread ...

I'm still waiting for your pro-Government anti-Labour thread.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

No he wouldn't, he'd still be the swing vote either way.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

I still can’t fathom why the government didn’t put in place funding and up the numbers for places on nursing and other medical degrees in time for September. The nhs is fucked

Unless they did of course.

Medicine training places have increased a lot in recent years. It’s not entirely simple though as a lot of medical and indeed nursing training is on placement, and you need placements. And thus is made harder by Covid. We will have more doctors coming out of the factory in a few years time.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Google (or bing) "super cold". There's a lot of it about, as doctors say.
    One of my colleagues who actually has Covid right now was coming into work blissfully unaware for about 3 days. I'd describe her symptoms as "light cold" at worst. She's eligible for the booster too, so should have mega-immunity to further infection from now on.
    Wasn't too popular, particularly with those who had booked holidays coming up..
This discussion has been closed.