Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For CON to have any chance the LAB share needs to erode. It

SystemSystem Posts: 11,728
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For CON to have any chance the LAB share needs to erode. It’s looking pretty solid.

The veteran pollster who founded the MORI company all those years ago, Bob Worcester, used to contact me in the early days of PB to give me a gentle admonishment whenever he thought I focused too much on polling leads. The important thing, he would always say, was to look at the respective party poll shares.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT -- Admin -- the top link in the links section is a comma which goes to Boylesports.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,032
    Good morning, everyone.

That's an interesting observation. I wonder how much of that is soft/protest vote, though. Of course, a protest vote could well remain until the election.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited August 2013

OT -- Admin -- the top link in the links section is a comma which goes to Boylesports.

thanks ,will inform site owner
  • Options
    OT - I keep having issues on iPhone/iPad in a long thread where if someone posts a long link it breaks the chat to filling the whole width of the window - while the links and adverts on the right are over the most recent posts. So the most recent posts end up partially under a banner advert and so unreadable.

This seems to only happen when a long link or something else is too wide. Can this be fixed?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

@Plato

All YouGov poll trackers can be found at:
    http://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?category=political-trackers

There are some very interesting trends
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    YouGov VI tracker shows that since March/April 2013, Cons have regularly gained a couple of points and Labour dropped a couple of points.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Morning all :)

Indeed but there are nuances. The Conservative/UKIP bloc is 46% with YouGov this morning but was only 43% with Populus yesterday if memory serves. The combined Labour/LD bloc is around 50% - for most of the Thatcher/Major years, the combined Labour/LD bloc was around 52-54%.

I agree too many people are looking at the current polling through the prism of past Parliaments when you had a large disillusioned anti-Government vote which would float off to the third party and then run back at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder. This is a different environment - 40-50% of the 2010 LD vote has cleaved to Labour and shows absolutely no sign of returning (and probably won't while a) Nick Clegg is leader and b) the Party is in coalition with the Conservatives). This bloc added to the core Labour vote potentially prevents a Conservative majority Government but doesn't mean a Labour majority Government.

A much smaller tranche of disillusioned Government supporters has gone off to UKIP and I suspect many of these will return when the real election campaign starts.

One of two things needs to happen for David Cameron to remain Prime Minister after 2015 (and thus be in a position to hold his much-vaunted EU referendum) - either UKIP needs to be squeezed back to somewhere near its 2010 GE level or the current Labour bloc of core Labour and angry ex-LD voters needs to be fractured. There are small signs that both things might be happening but they need to happen and a change in a lead from 6 points to 4 points because the Conservative vote is up two and the UKIP vote down two is of no material significance.

The economy is improving slowly at the macro level - no question - but we come back to the thorny question of how does it "feel" for the average voter ? For example, I found out yesterday my fares will once again rise well in excess of inflation (and any wage increase) next year. That doesn't make me "feel" better off. It's the small things like that which are part of the economic equation for most ordinary people - not neo-Stakhanovite propaganda on car production numbers.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Actually it's probably the Tory vote that is soft at this stage - it's only recently been on holiday with UKIP and a run of bad news of one kind or another will shake it again. The Labour vote did have a little bit of froth when it went over 40, but it's been in the 36-40 range for a very long time now, and that's basically the 2010 vote plus the anti-Government LibDems, neither of which IMO are going to be swayed by the economy bouncing to a fabulous 1.17% growth or whatever. The polls that measure certainty are quite consistent - the remaining UKIP vote is keenest, but all the rest are moderately keen too, except the LibDems.

Curiously, what Cameron really needs is a big bustup with Clegg that Clegg appears to "win" - that would pull back LibDems from Labour and put us in trouble.
  • Options
    UK Asset Resolution (UKAR), the government-owned company incorporating Northern Rock (Asset Management) and Bradford & Bingley, paid back £1.9bn to taxpayers in the first half of 2013.

It said the amount included £1.3bn of loan repayments in the first half of 2013.

The firm did not make any further provision for PPI mis-selling.

It also saw profits boosted by a drop in customers who had fallen behind on their mortgage payments.

Underlying profit before tax for the first half of 2013 increased from £481.4m in June 2012 to £528.8m this year.

UKAR said the main driver for this was lower arrears and, as such, a reduced loan impairment charge.

The company saw the number of mortgages three or more months in arrears fall by 17% to 21,332 since the start of 2013.

It now has almost 584,000 customers, with 565,000 mortgage accounts and 212,000 unsecured personal loan accounts.

The firm said the majority of these loans continued to perform well, with more than 90% of mortgage customers up to date with their mortgage payments.

"However, we do have a significant number of customers who are finding it difficult to meet their repayments," the company said.

"In those cases, we work closely with customers to offer a range of solutions to help them manage their circumstances."

The number of properties it repossessed fell from 3,871 in the first half of 2012 to 3,550 in 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23584839
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Doesn't history tell us that the opposition's poll share tends to fall in the approach to an election?

The tories were solidly over 40% before the election campaign and Blair well over 50%, so I don't see a drop of in the labour figure to 32-33% as particularly unlikely particularly if the economy continues to grow between now and the election.

WRT standards of living, what is relevent is what the alternative would have been and the tories need to paint a clear picture of what would have happened under a continuing Labour government and what is likely to happen under a future one.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    SeanT said:

The threader is also mendacious. A year ago, or so, Miliband was polling regularly in the 40s. Not any more. So Labour's polling is NOT solid over time.

Is it me, or have Mike's threaders become increasingly anti-Tory, and increasingly less intelligent (and therefore less interesting) in the last few months?

Some who no longer post here may have agreed with you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Conservative's biggest hope/chance is that the Lib Dems take votes off Labour in Con/Lab marginals.

As practically noone is going to vote Lib Dem in these seats as they are going to soft pedal them and only target holding ~45 existing seats or so, well this is why CON is stuffed under FPTP at the next election. There will be some swingback, but not enough.

Labour to gain a majority with a 1% lead or so.
  • Options
    Financier said:

FPT

@Plato

All YouGov poll trackers can be found at:
    http://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?category=political-trackers

There are some very interesting trends

Many thanx - looking at longer term trends rather than one picked to make a point using high water marks is much more interesting.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    SeanT said:

Is it me, or have Mike's threaders become increasingly anti-Tory, and increasingly less intelligent (and therefore less interesting) in the last few months?

I think it fair to say OGH is a "glass half empty" kind of guy when it comes to the Tories - but if that spurs the Tories on to greater efforts and instills complacency in Labour you'll hear no complaints from me.

The most striking number from YouGov today was the even split between "good" and "bad" for the economy on "the cuts" -41:41 - the last time the view was evenly split was November 2010
  • Options
    Schards said:

Doesn't history tell us that the opposition's poll share tends to fall in the approach to an election?

The tories were solidly over 40% before the election campaign and Blair well over 50%, so I don't see a drop of in the labour figure to 32-33% as particularly unlikely particularly if the economy continues to grow between now and the election.

WRT standards of living, what is relevent is what the alternative would have been and the tories need to paint a clear picture of what would have happened under a continuing Labour government and what is likely to happen under a future one.

Also, the vast debt bubble didn't come without a cost. I'd be interested in knowing the basis for Labour's claim that the average family is £6k worse off since 2010. That seems implausible.

I asked Jim Pickard of the FT who's pushing this line what the figures are from when the crash happened since 2010 wasn't Year Zero - reply came none. I do like his stuff but he's quite a lefty.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040

Curiously, what Cameron really needs is a big bustup with Clegg that Clegg appears to "win" - that would pull back LibDems from Labour and put us in trouble.

Clegg needs to 'storm' out of the coalition nearer to the time, as you imply it is the soft left Lib-Lab vote that will be key for the next election.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

Thanks for posting the information about the Charity salaries. From 1980 up to last year, we were paying a monthly standing order to 'Save The Children". We then discovered that the CE was being paid £162,000 pa, and I calculated that those thirty years of donations (with tax relief) had only paid a month of his salary. We now give it to a smaller charity.

Since we cancelled, we've had three phone calls from them spouting the usual guff about having to buy the best people, it's the "going rate" for the job. They didn't tell me that someone else on the staff was being paid even more.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

On economics, I may be an ignoramus, but I've been taking a few baby steps (probably up to a politician's level), The best way to think of the multiplier effect is to compare it with losing weight. If you cut say 500 calories from your intake, you don't see 500 calories of weight loss as your body adjusts the metabolism to a reduced intake. You may only see, say, 300 calories of benefit (why increased exercise as well is useful). In the same way, reducing spending only benefits you by a proportion because of the lost GDP.

The left, and BenM on here (congrats on the new arrival), see spending as a panacea. That surely is equivalent to saying that the way to lose weight is to eat more. Nice advice for fatties, but even they must have doubts.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

"Actually it's probably the Tory vote that is soft at this stage"

Pardon? Why? They're in HMG, have to justify what they actually do not burble about what the tooth fairy would do differently in 2yrs time.

I suspect you are whistling in the dark.
  • Options

Actually it's probably the Tory vote that is soft at this stage - it's only recently been on holiday with UKIP and a run of bad news of one kind or another will shake it again. The Labour vote did have a little bit of froth when it went over 40, but it's been in the 36-40 range for a very long time now, and that's basically the 2010 vote plus the anti-Government LibDems, neither of which IMO are going to be swayed by the economy bouncing to a fabulous 1.17% growth or whatever. The polls that measure certainty are quite consistent - the remaining UKIP vote is keenest, but all the rest are moderately keen too, except the LibDems.

@NickPalmer

Nick - your last para hypothesis is interesting, but cannot see it happening as Clegg would have to unravel too much.

On a more interesting point, and in view of their track record (especially economic), why should anyone vote Labour - is it just tribalism?

• Options
    CD13 said:

Thanks for posting the information about the Charity salaries. From 1980 up to last year, we were paying a monthly standing order to 'Save The Children". We then discovered that the CE was being paid £162,000 pa, and I calculated that those thirty years of donations (with tax relief) had only paid a month of his salary. We now give it to a smaller charity.

Since we cancelled, we've had three phone calls from them spouting the usual guff about having to buy the best people, it's the "going rate" for the job. They didn't tell me that someone else on the staff was being paid even more.

Quite. When you know you're giving your cash to a cause, and discover its been eaten by their CEO - what's the point? Given most donors are on fixed incomes or haven't had a big payrise in years - why give them your money at all?!
  • Options
    Plato said:

SeanT said:

The threader is also mendacious. A year ago, or so, Miliband was polling regularly in the 40s. Not any more. So Labour's polling is NOT solid over time.

Some who no longer post here may have agreed with you.
    The point is that it is Mike's site and if you don't like the content, please put up an article of your own to put the other perspective. Sean seems to have time to write for the Telegraph - I'm sure he'd be happy to contribute a guest article for PB.

There is a strong anti-Labour bias among the posters on here - that doesn't of course translate to a pro-Conservative bias.

Go back to 2011 in the polls and you'll find the Conservatives were doing better as well than they are now. It's a feature of incoming Conservative Governments that they hold their election support for longer than incoming Labour Governments and the fall-off usually happens in the 12-36 month period. It's no surprise on that basis to see the Conservative numbers rallying from their spring nadir.

• Options
    CD13 said:

On economics, I may be an ignoramus, but I've been taking a few baby steps (probably up to a politician's level), The best way to think of the multiplier effect is to compare it with losing weight. If you cut say 500 calories from your intake, you don't see 500 calories of weight loss as your body adjusts the metabolism to a reduced intake. You may only see, say, 300 calories of benefit (why increased exercise as well is useful). In the same way, reducing spending only benefits you by a proportion because of the lost GDP.

The left, and BenM on here (congrats on the new arrival), see spending as a panacea. That surely is equivalent to saying that the way to lose weight is to eat more. Nice advice for fatties, but even they must have doubts.

It's also very easy to eat a huge pizza with Coke and a dessert a couple of times - so that's 4000 calories or about twice what you will actually burn off in a day. To lose a pound in weight that's reducing your intake by about 3500 calories.

So that's not just denying yourself two pizza fests - but not eating anything instead. No wonder people don't like cutting spending as the denying phase is a genuine loss of pleasure/habit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I think the main question re the 38% for Labour is how much is simply protest - if the economy continues to recover the incentive to vote from this group could well diminish and some LDs may return to the fold. Plus - maybe a sending an Armada to Gibraltar could help Dave hoover up more of the kippers!!:))
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Thanks for that which was down to me trying to manage the links section on my phone. Now fixed.

• Options
    felix said:

I think the main question re the 38% for Labour is how much is simply protest - if the economy continues to recover the incentive to vote from this group could well diminish and some LDs may return to the fold. Plus - maybe a sending an Armada to Gibraltar could help Dave hoover up more of the kippers!!:))

The Spanish in an attempt to divert attention are handing Cameron/Hague a chance to grandstand back. All most peculiar.

Chris Bryant said the other day 'this could all be sorted out by breakfast'. Really? Well if we just gave Gib to Spain I'm sure that'd just fix things perfectly - not.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    edited August 2013
    If posters don't agree with Mike's header argue against it. Don't slink off or make silly veiled threats about people moving away. There are some really pathetic posters on here.

More interesting is that I think we got the first glimmer of Labour's strategy for the next election.

It is to argue that whatever happens to the economy only the living standards of the rich are improving. This correlates nicely with the polling that finds the Conservatives only care about people like them
  • Options
    On the economic question, the one thing which has aided many households since 2010 has been the very low interest rates and, as the economy recovers, the current low rate regimen can't be sustained. Businesses too must have enjoyed lower rates.

Mrs Stodge and I have benefitted hugely from this and, as many others, have paid down a lot of our outstanding mortgage debt. The worry for me is that after years of being encouraged to save, people now feel they can let go, start spending and start building up personal and consumer debt once again. When rates do go up, it will be a big shock for many who have known such a long period of relatively low rates.

I would like to think it's not deliberate policy to engineer a pre-election consumption-fuelled debt-based boom as we'll all have plenty of time to reflect on that after 2015.

I'd like to think that the next Government, of whatever stripe, will continue to see the alleviation of tax for the lower-paid as a priority and we'll see above-inflation rises in personal allowance figures.

My concern is that rising interest rates will act as a brake on economic growth and particularly when it comes to the Government getting money in which is where the public finances imploded so spectacularly in 2007-08 and later.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Roger said:

If posters don't agree with Mike's header argue against it. Don't slink off or make silly veiled threats about people moving away. There are some really pathetic posters on here.

More interesting is that I think we got the first glimmer of Labour's strategy for the next election. To argue that Whatever happens to the economy only the living standards of the rich are improving. This correlates nicely with the polling that finds the Conservatives don't understand how normal people live

Roger old bean, while I agree with what you say re labour's next plan, it's a bit of a flimsy one. I fully expect GO to throw more goodies at average families before the next GE ( probably a lift in tax thresholds ) and the data say the rich are paying more in tax than under Labour. That's a hard sell.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Blair give away half the rebate for nothing. Maybe Bryant wants us to surrender half the rock in return for the Spanish promising at an unspecified date to contemplate the possibility of thinking about perhaps negotiating something regarding fishing rights. Or not.

Mr. Roger, there will be probably be some struggle between the parties to pin 2007 or 2010 as the Year Zero for the debate. Similarly, both will want their lines to be shown to be true (or at least a valid opinion) in 2015. If living standards are rising or people feel like they are/will in the near future by then that would greatly aid the Coalition parties.
  • Options
    @Schards
    The swingback to the government theory didn't work ahead of the 2005 election. Maybe that was down to the Tories changing their leader in November 2003.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

@Schards
    The swingback to the government theory didn't work ahead of the 2005 election. Maybe that was down to the Tories changing their leader in November 2003.

So Labour should ditch Ed...
    “The Australians have changed their leader and have surged from -12 in the polls to plus 2,” said one former senior Miliband supporter.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

Labours last 3 GE's

40.7 % , 35.2 %, 29. %

Pop Vote

10.7 M , 9.5M, 8.6 M

Surely its nailed on that they will find 1.5M extra voters aka 9% down the back of the sofa ?

And if anyone can bring them back its Ed Milibamd.
  • Options
    And the good news... Where is Ed Balls? Labour's Marie Celeste team continues.

ONS @statisticsONS
    #Production up 1.1% and #Manufacturing up 1.9% between May and June, following 3 months of 0.0% growth: bit.ly/15xCRr7
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Plato said:

@NickPalmer

Pardon? Why? They're in HMG, have to justify what they actually do not burble about what the tooth fairy would do differently in 2yrs time.

You only have to look at the council by elections each week to see how soft the Conservative vote is . People may be telling pollsters that they would vote Conservative in a GE but they are not enthused enough to go out and vote for them now .

• Options
    Jess Brammar @jessbrammar
    RT @World_First Want broad based recovery? All 13 categories within manufacturing recorded increase in June. 1st time happened since June 92
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Without looking at sub-samples but taking today's YouGov as the basis, this is what I think has happened since GE2010.

LAB +9. [ 8 from LD, 2 from CON, 1 to UKIP ]

CON -4 [ 3 from LD, 5 to UKIP, 2 to LAB ]

LD -13: [ 8 to LAB, 3 to CON, 2 to UKIP [ protest ]

UKIP +8 [ 1 from LAB, 2 from LD, 5 from CON ]

I agree with Edmund in Tokyo. Taking the Brown votes from GE2010, add 8 from LD, Labour at 37 looks solid.

UKIP will end up at 6%, i.e. they will lose 5 points from above, possibly all reverting back to CON.

LD transfers to CON will probably come down to 1 points, also transfers to UKIP will also come down to possibly 0 giving LD 15%

So, in the zero sum game, this is my GE 2015 scenario:

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

There is a possibility that there could be some more Orange Booker transfer to the Tories.

That would be straight LD minus, CON plus. If LD finishes at 12/13%, the Tories will end up at 38/39%.

Thanks to FPTP, Labour biggest party but short of majority. Progressives, 50% or slightly more.
  • Options
    MD. Even if that happened I can't see it helping the 'coalition parties'. The Tories perhaps but certainly not the Libs
  • Options
    Peter Hoskins @PeterHoskinsSky
    Given big jumps in retail sales & industrial output it's arguably not best day for @UKLabour to launch attack on @Conservatives over economy

Clearly they're all out busy shopping with the money they don't have to spend...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Without looking at sub-samples but taking today's YouGov as the basis, this is what I think has happened since GE2010.

I agree with Edmund in Tokyo. Taking the Brown votes from GE2010, add 8 from LD, Labour at 37 looks solid.

UKIP will end up at 6%, i.e. they will lose 5 points from above, possibly all reverting back to CON.

LD transfers to CON will probably come down to 1 points, also transfers to UKIP will also come down to possibly 0 giving LD 15%

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

There is a possibility that there could be some more Orange Booker transfer to the Tories.

That would be straight LD minus, CON plus. If LD finishes at 12/13%, the Tories will end up at 38/39%.

Thanks to FPTP, Labour biggest party but short of majority. Progressives, 50% or slightly more.

All very neat - but you haven't factored in "Ed Miliband"

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Labour's share, like it's lead, will melt away like June snow as the election nears.

At this point in the cycle Labour really should be in the mid to high 40's with vote share and 20%+ in terms of lead.

They simply aren't doing well enough, but the truth is they haven't done consistently as good as they should since Tony Blair departed.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Might we ask Bob Worcester about President Kerry's term of office ?

The fact is that there is no one silver bullet for projecting elections ..... save of course for the outstanding outpourings of my ARSE.
  • Options
    PMI Prod in a chart image
  • Options
    surbiton said:

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

A reasonable analysis of today's Yougov but unfortunately incorrect . The movement from LD to Labour is 22 % of 2010 LD voters which is approx 5% in VI terms not the 8 you give . 29% of 2010 LD voters in this poll are saying WNV or DK .
  • Options
    OGH's article "is menadacious" writes SeanT. (Last time I agreed I was banned....)

I recognise that and others do, but I am happy that the lefties think that with the Yougov lead at 4, an ICM level and Populus halved that everything is Hunky Dory and heading for an EdM win and Lib Dems retaining 40+ seats.... Is a lad insane to think otherwise? This is not a Low point for me. Ed M may be one of their Pins Ups but he is not one of the voters Heroes.

(Paean to The Screaming Eagles)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:
    The big cats in charities get big rises:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/Exclusive-Aid-organisations-risk-bringing-charities-into-disrepute-over-pay-says-watchdog.html

While the ordinary worker feels helpless and is now worse off says Labour.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23580075

Not that it would be any better under them. Vote UKIP!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Financier said:

@NickPalmer

Nick - your last para hypothesis is interesting, but cannot see it happening as Clegg would have to unravel too much.

On a more interesting point, and in view of their track record (especially economic), why should anyone vote Labour - is it just tribalism?

No - at this stage people are mostly giving VI on general instincts rather than detailed policy analysis - we don't know the Labour policies for 2015-2020, but we don't know the Tory or LibDem policies either. The Labour voters' view is that the last government did well, on balance (that's why they voted to continue to 2010), and they want Labour back. The dissident LibDems' view is that coalition with the Tories absolutely sucks and they'll vote against it no matter what. A Government strategy to dissuade either element is not obvious.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Financier said:

@NickPalmer

No - at this stage people are mostly giving VI on general instincts rather than detailed policy analysis - we don't know the Labour policies for 2015-2020, but we don't know the Tory or LibDem policies either. The Labour voters' view is that the last government did well, on balance (that's why they voted to continue to 2010), and they want Labour back. The dissident LibDems' view is that coalition with the Tories absolutely sucks and they'll vote against it no matter what. A Government strategy to dissuade either element is not obvious.

From your last line: How about getting the economy fixed?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Plato said:

A chart that shows the impact of the global economic meltdown, recovery, and Osborne's Plan A austerity.
  • Options
    HopiSenHopiSen Posts: 48
    Couple of quick points: Labours vote share with YG has declined since start of year- but it's also true that since Ed's election as leader Labour has rarely dropped below 38% with ygov, and I think never scored a 36? Whether this represents a floor, I don't know, there's arguments on both sides. Certainly though Mike's overall point is right. I'd be more worried for Labour if we started scoring 35/36 on YG, whatever the lead, than if there was a run of polls like today.

Also, it's worth watching LD > Lab switchers over time.Today's YG was on the low side, but it had 29% of 2010 LD's as DK/won't vote, and 31% of the remaining voting Labour- that equates to a c4.5 points in the polls, and the Tories get about 1.5% from 2010 LDs too. now that's on the low side (populus gave lab 6.4% and Tories c 2.5 from 2010 LDs) but in YG at least the LD> Lab transfer has been reducing. Mostly to the benefit of UKIP in recent months. Again, this could be a floor, but I'd be keeping an eye on the 2010 LD splits in case it isn't.
  • Options

Plato said:

@NickPalmer

You only have to look at the council by elections each week to see how soft the Conservative vote is . People may be telling pollsters that they would vote Conservative in a GE but they are not enthused enough to go out and vote for them now .
    A soft vote? Contrast 1,500 Lib Dem cllrs lost since 2009 with 900 Conservative losses, net. Mark, traditionally the main party in power loses council by elections. What we are not seeing is a vast swing to Labour indeed they are struggling to gain seats such as the Anglesey and Kingston examples for instance. But if you believe that things are going the right way, and believe that Labour will become the largest party and the Lib Dems retaining 40+ seats after the GE then fine, be happy.
  • Options
    Plato said:

RT @World_First Want broad based recovery? All 13 categories within manufacturing recorded increase in June. 1st time happened since June 92

Must be another "terrribbbbllleee night for the Conservatives"?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

surbiton said:

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

A reasonable analysis of today's Yougov but unfortunately incorrect . The movement from LD to Labour is 22 % of 2010 LD voters which is approx 5% in VI terms not the 8 you give . 29% of 2010 LD voters in this poll are saying WNV or DK .
    My GE 2015 figures are based on my hunch. I think UKIP 6% is more or less given. I also think LD max is 15%.

Therefore, the increased 3% in UKIP votes will more or less come from the Tories [ defectors from Labour will come back ]. The question is what will be the split of the LD -8/9%, I think , in net terms, virtually all will go to Labour [ +10 -2 something like that ]. I am assuming DNV ends up as same as 2010.

Tories could add if LD falls below 15%. More or less all will go to them.

A good Tory split could be:

LAB, 37%

CON 39%

LD 12%

UKIP 6%

Those Tories who are dreaming of 42% have to explain where the additional votes will come from. Because, if fewer LD lefties come over to Labour, it would only mean more votes for LD's and not for CON.
  • Options

Financier said:

@NickPalmer

I suppose we're going to get more of Nick the politician now that Broxtowe nomination is out of the way. I don't see how Labour voters thought the last govt. did well on balance. Only 29% voted for labour in 2010 and that's pretty much down to Labour's tribal floor. Indeed given labour's campaign ran on scary tories, the base is probably closer to 25-27% not unlike the conservatives.
  • Options

@Schards

Good advice for Labour IMHO. I agree that Labour must not change their Leader. I thought the same about Gordon Brown in 2008.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Alanbrooke

I agree the Labour base is lower than the polled in 2010. As perverse as it may seem to many, Gordon Brown will have added a fair number of votes as the safe man who steered us through the crisis and understood the economic situation better than anyone. Safety and comfort with the experienced team would have given Labour a few % in 2010.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited August 2013

A Government strategy to dissuade either element is not obvious.

Really, Nick? Are you seriously saying that you, a very experienced ex-MP who will be trying to regain a key marginal for Labour in 20 months' time, can't see that there is a very simple and coherent strategy available to the Conservatives, which they show every sign of fighting hard on?

I don't know whether that strategy will be sufficient to overcome the wishful-thinking which sadly still leads people, despite all the experience of 1997-2010, to contemplate voting Labour, but it's very clear what the strategy will be, and it looks potent: "It's taken five hard years of slog to undo the damage, we're finally now beginning to see the benefits, don't let them ruin it again"
  • Options

I suppose we're going to get more of Nick the politician now that Broxtowe nomination is out of the way. I don't see how Labour voters thought the last govt. did well on balance. Only 29% voted for labour in 2010 and that's pretty much down to Labour's tribal floor. Indeed given labour's campaign ran on scary tories, the base is probably closer to 25-27% not unlike the conservatives.

Mr Brooke, I think Nick is saying the Labour voters thought they did a good job. If you were a public servant getting lots of money from you for interfering in somebody else's business and holding it back, you could be doing quite well out of it and think Labour were doing well.

Whether or not it is good for the country is a different point.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Plato is going Economics full time ! Surprisingly, I did not see her put up or even talk about PMI figures for the last three years.

I wonder could she tell us what is the size of the GDP today [ after such big growths ] relative to 2010 [ compared to say the USA in the same period ] and what are the real wages compared to 2010.

• Options

What we are not seeing is a vast swing to Labour indeed they are struggling to gain seats such as the Anglesey and Kingston examples for instance.

Among all examples you could have used, Kingston is probably not the right one. It's on par with "the Tories don't have councillors in Manchester"

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    surbiton said:

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

Your assumption that Labour won't leak votes back to the Lib Dems in the run up to 2015 is a big one (which is an understatement). I don't think all 6-8% will go back, but half of it will, especially in Con/Lib marginals. They key for Labour is to hold onto Lib Dems in Con/Lab marginals, that's where the election is going to be won, the 80-90,000 Lib Dem voters in Con/Lab marginals who are currently going to vote Labour, but could be wooed back if Nick Clegg was summarily dumped in favour of Vince who chimes much better with that particular set of voters. That would also help them in Lab/Lib marginals as well. I'm already on Clegg being out before 2015 so I do have a horse in this race...

I think Nick Clegg is the sticking point for many of the more leftist Lib Dems and without them they will get spanked by Labour in the north and if they can't hold their nose like you are suggesting, then they will get destroyed by the Cons in the south and we will end up with 320 for Lab and 300 for Con with just 10-20 Lib Dems in Parliament.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

My GE 2015 figures are based on my hunch. I think UKIP 6% is more or less given. I also think LD max is 15%.

Therefore, the increased 3% in UKIP votes will more or less come from the Tories [ defectors from Labour will come back ]. The question is what will be the split of the LD -8/9%, I think , in net terms, virtually all will go to Labour [ +10 -2 something like that ]. I am assuming DNV ends up as same as 2010.

Tories could add if LD falls below 15%. More or less all will go to them.

A good Tory split could be:

LAB, 37%

CON 39%

LD 12%

UKIP 6%

Those Tories who are dreaming of 42% have to explain where the additional votes will come from. Because, if fewer LD lefties come over to Labour, it would only mean more votes for LD's and not for CON.
    Every one of us on here can have and give hunches . Your original post stated as a fact that the Yougov poll showed 8 % in VI terms of 2010 LD voters moving to Labour . The correct figure is as I have given 22% of LD voters equal to 5% in VI terms .
    Looking at polls over the last few months ( mostly but not exclusively Yougov ) the % of 2010 LD voters moving to Labour has fallen from around 28-29% to around 23-24% and these voters have mostly moved to DK .

• Options

Plato said:

But its all the wrong sort of growth. Peston called it unbalanced in his blog. I mean really? All the big sectors are up and he tries to rubbish the rise on Retail sales as some weather related anomaly blip.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    @surbiton - You forgot the Don't knows/Won't bother to vote. It's not a zero-sum game.

In addition, voters are much less sticky than you think. They even transfer from the LibDems to UKIP, which in policy terms is pretty bonkers.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

On topic, Labours share is too solid for Cameron to keep his job at present, prompt for UKIP and the Tory vote is soft.

No surprise to see the posters who get elections wrong attacking Mike.

Retail sales data etc - Is Osborne still planning a taxpayer subsidised bout of house price inflation?

Doh! It is just past mid term in a parliament with one serious(?) opposition party.
  • Options

Plato said:

There is a belief that with the economy showing growth [ at last ], the Tories will reap the dividend.

Please remind us what happened in 1997 ? When real living standards are falling for all except the top 5% as they rake in more money thanks to a cut in the top rate of income tax, I am not sure peopel will look at GDP numbers.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    Did any PB poster actually get the Election right, absolutely spot on right..if not then everyone on PB got it wrong...
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

On topic, Labours share is too solid for Cameron to keep his job at present, prompt for UKIP and the Tory vote is soft.

Retail sales data etc - Is Osborne still planning a taxpayer subsidised bout of house price inflation?

Do you mean solid as 42-44% for most of last year and much of this, or solid as 36-39% for the last few months? Or maybe solid as 34-36% possibly by year end? Or solid 30-34% by this time next year? Ho, ho, ho... by May 2015?

• Options
    Miss Plato, you've clearly forgotten BBC economics:
    when there's a severe winter blaming the weather is an excuse by the Chancellor. When the weather's good it's only due to the favourable elements that growth was achieved.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    There is in fact much more potential for volatility in vote shares than might be apparent over a fairly short period of time. It's a bit like the price of a share or currency - 'stability' can be misleading. Over the past five years the Lab share has varied between the mid-20s and the low 40s; the Con share between the mid-20s and the mid-40s; the LD share between single figures and the mid-30s. This suggests that respondents to opinion polls in the mid-term are not being altogether serious.

Opposition vote shares do tend to fall prior to a general election, even when a change of government is imminent - 1964, 1970, 1979, 1997 and 2010 all demonstrate this.

When things start to move they can move very rapidly: the key factor is opposition credibility. Witness the collapse of large opposition poll leads and the resurgence of government fortunes prior to the 1959, 1983, 1987 and 1992 general elections when, faced with the reality of a choice, the electorate sensed a party without a serious alternative programme for government. This, I think, will be the fate of Ed Miliband in 2015.
  • Options

@surbiton - You forgot the Don't knows/Won't bother to vote. It's not a zero-sum game.

In addition, voters are much less sticky than you think. They even transfer from the LibDems to UKIP, which in policy terms is pretty bonkers.

If the turnout is the same, it is a zero sum game. Why would a Labour voter who voted in 2010 not vote this time. You could argue many Labour voters stayed at home in 2010.

Some Tory voters who would have stayed at home, will possibly vote UKIP.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

Plato is going Economics full time ! Surprisingly, I did not see her put up or even talk about PMI figures for the last three years.

I wonder could she tell us what is the size of the GDP today [ after such big growths ] relative to 2010 [ compared to say the USA in the same period ] and what are the real wages compared to 2010.

It's 2.2%, but the US hasn't had the same oil and gas slow down we have had, excluding oil and gas it's 3.2% which isn't bad given that our largest trading partner has decided to implode, and pretty much the same as the US if you exclude their shale gas boom, but those figures are difficult to quantify.
  • Options
    @Surbiton

"I wonder could she tell us what is the size of the GDP today [ after such big growths ] relative to 2010 [ compared to say the USA in the same period ] and what are the real wages compared to 2010."

A surprising chart. Unless I'm reading it wrongly the big return to growth was under Brown. What a pity he was stopped in his tracks. The Tories haven't improved things at all since
  • Options
    tim said:

It's nailed on Lab maj tim - add on a few % for the GE "President Ed" effect and it could be a landslide.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Poor young Surby.

I post many ONS stats - I can't recall you sharing them with us. You are of course perfectly able to do so.

Perhaps that's because Labourites don't like to take a longer view? How's that Triple Dip Recession going for you?

Given I've voted for all of the Big Three - I have no reason to pretend that any faults didn't exist before. Unlike those with amnesia from the Left.

Still, I'm apparently a racist, Tory, UKIP shill who some PBers create in their imaginations as a comfort blanket. Golly :^ )
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

• Options
    Many of the CON inclined posters here remind me of the Romney-backers in the US last November who seriously believed that their man was heading for victory because the polls were skewed.

Remember that great PB poster Stuart Truth.

Of course things can happen in the next 21 monhs and you need to revisit the analysis all the time.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,547
    I think people are still underestimating the rate of change in the economy. According to an article in the Telegraph yesterday Goldman Sachs have calculated that growth right now is equivalent to 4.8% on a yearly basis.

It seems unlikely that we will see that but a faster rate of growth in Q3 than in Q2 already looks nailed on. Employment is going to increase, unemployment will gently fall, real wages will start to rise again and the deficit is going to fall significantly. I will be astonished if the deficit this financial year is not below £100bn compared with the £118bn forecast. £90bn is not impossible.

Many have pointed out that the key to governments getting reelected is competence. It is a lot easier to look competent with a growing economy, especially one that is easily the fastest growing large economy in Europe.

Some Lib Dems will return home. But some 2010 Labour voters are up for grabs too. Floating voters scared by Mandy into voting for the devil they know. Those who think 29% was some sort of core or base for Labour are kidding themselves. Our politics is just not like that any more. Less tribal, less political theory, more focus on leadership and credibility. It is inevitable in an age when the real gap between the parties on policy is barely in the MOE.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

LAB 37%

CON 36%

LD 15%

UKIP 6%

Your assumption that Labour won't leak votes back to the Lib Dems in the run up to 2015 is a big one (which is an understatement). I don't think all 6-8% will go back, but half of it will, especially in Con/Lib marginals. They key for Labour is to hold onto Lib Dems in Con/Lab marginals, that's where the election is going to be won, the 80-90,000 Lib Dem voters in Con/Lab marginals who are currently going to vote Labour, but could be wooed back if Nick Clegg was summarily dumped in favour of Vince who chimes much better with that particular set of voters. That would also help them in Lab/Lib marginals as well. I'm already on Clegg being out before 2015 so I do have a horse in this race...

I think Nick Clegg is the sticking point for many of the more leftist Lib Dems and without them they will get spanked by Labour in the north and if they can't hold their nose like you are suggesting, then they will get destroyed by the Cons in the south and we will end up with 320 for Lab and 300 for Con with just 10-20 Lib Dems in Parliament.
    I broadly agree with you. Except both Labour and Tory will be 10 fewer and LD's will be around 40 seats.

It will be very similar to Feb 1974. Labour - Tory difference will be better for LAB compared to 1974 due to better Labour vote distribution.

• Options
    Roger said:

@Surbiton

"I wonder could she tell us what is the size of the GDP today [ after such big growths ] relative to 2010 [ compared to say the USA in the same period ] and what are the real wages compared to 2010."

A surprising chart. Unless I'm reading it wrongly the big return to growth was under Brown. What a pity he was stopped in his tracks. The Tories haven't improved things at all since

Shhhh ! Plato is new to this "economics" malarky. She is using an "L" plate ! Fitalass is the tutor.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

There is a belief that with the economy showing growth [ at last ], the Tories will reap the dividend.

Please remind us what happened in 1997 ? When real living standards are falling for all except the top 5% as they rake in more money thanks to a cut in the top rate of income tax, I am not sure peopel will look at GDP numbers.
    Just desperate stuff. The coalition has raised tax thresholds and taken the low paid out of tax. The wealthiest 1% are now paying more tax than 2009.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @surbiton : Even if turnout doesn't change, it's still not a zero-sum game in terms of direct transfer between parties. I posted this example a few days ago:

As a hypothetical example, you could construct a pretty big overall swingback out of the following changes (compared with what people are telling pollsters today):

Current Lab -> Con: 1%
    Current Lab->LD: 4%
    Current Lab->Won't vote: 2%
    Current LD->Con: 0.5%
    Current Don't Know/Won't vote -> Con: 2%
    Current UKIP -> Con: 4%

i.e. it doesn't have to be the exact same people crossing over to give the overall effect of a significant swing.

On the current UKPR polling average (32/38/10/12) the above shifts would give:

Con 39.5
    Lab 31
    LD 13.5
    UKIP 8
  • Options

Many of the CON inclined posters here remind me of the Romney-backers in the US last November who seriously believed that their man was heading for victory because the polls were skewed.

Of course things can happen in the next 21 monhs and you need to revisit the analysis all the time.

Mike, I'm sure you meant LAB inclined posters when you wrote that otherwise admirable post.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole

Discuss

RT @UKELECTIONS2015: Survation survey Scottish voting intentions
    SNP 35%
    Conservatives 29.7%
    Labour 27.4%
    UKIP 4.3%
    Lib Dems 3.5%
  • Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

But its all the wrong sort of growth. Peston called it unbalanced in his blog. I mean really? All the big sectors are up and he tries to rubbish the rise on Retail sales as some weather related anomaly blip.
    I am shocked, shocked, that the son of a Labour peer employed by the BBC would say that.
  • Options

The multitude of Romney backing Con inclined posters who have been filling this thread up with Con maj "nailed on" predictions based on the blues getting their boasting levels of 45-47% will rue the day....

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole

Discuss

SNP 35%
    Conservatives 29.7%
    Labour 27.4%
    UKIP 4.3%
    Lib Dems 3.5%

That's definitely a rogue...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

It's nailed on Lab maj tim - add on a few % for the GE "President Ed" effect and it could be a landslide.
    Of course it is and tim would be right to believe that.

After all Hopi Sen wrote the other day how Labour were NOT heading for victory... (Shurely shome mishtake in my logic)
  • Options

Miss Plato, you've clearly forgotten BBC economics:
    when there's a severe winter blaming the weather is an excuse by the Chancellor. When the weather's good it's only due to the favourable elements that growth was achieved.

Just a tad - that Peston tried to pull this stunt yet again despite every major indicator saying the opposite, quite irked me.

It's like *good news* - its either *unexpected and therefore an anomaly* or *news that's not good enough or the wrong sort*.

It's pathetic nit-picking. It reminds me of something my mother recounted about hers '98%, hmm - your handwriting should be clearer'...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole

Discuss

SNP 35%
    Conservatives 29.7%
    Labour 27.4%
    UKIP 4.3%
    Lib Dems 3.5%

That's definitely a rogue...
    But the funniest one for ages! I keep thinking of them as Starvation.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @ Alanbrooke

"and the data say the rich are paying more in tax than under Labour. That's a hard sell."

That's as may be but it's difficult to argue anything other than the rich have never had it so good.

The stock market is booming and for people with money very cheap credit has never been so easy to get.

I suspect many at Groucho's are left scratching their head at talk of austerity.

By contrast of course most ordinary people are just left dreaming of the halcyon days of Blair and Brown. What people see with their eyes is never a hard sell.
  • Options
    tim said:

"Labours share is too solid for Cameron to keep his job at present," Well the reality outside of your cheshire offie is that Cameron looks safe than a year ago and EdM looks more vulnerable than then. But I do accept that you have a different view on life.
  • Options
    So does this £1.9Bn NRK excess - which has arisen from the Conservative economic recovery - go towards paying down the deficit even further ?

• Options
    Incidentally, may I remind PBers that for much of late 2010 and 2011 this Tory-inclined poster was advising punters to buy Labour on the spreads? You did take my advice and clean up, didn't you?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,553

We are not saying that our man is heading for victory, we are observing the following:

1) The economy is in recovery
    2) Targeted spending can now occur
    3) We haven't shredded our credit rating in the process; debt service is manageable; interest rates will remain low for the foreseeable future
    4) The recovery will give GO many tools to entice the electorate prior to GE2015
    5) The Lab lead has narrowed and may narrow further
    6) The Lab vote share has declined over time and may decline further
    7) The opposition is not only absent but seems not to have a coherent narrative let alone policy (which latter we don't expect yet)
    8) Er...
    9) etc...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

So does this £1.9Bn NRK excess - which has arisen from the Conservative economic recovery - go towards paying down the deficit even further ?

Point of order, you can't pay down a deficit, you can pay down debt. A deficit can be reduced. The £1.9bn will be included in the PSNB rather than the narrower and more relevant PSNBex. The profits will go directly to the Treasury though, so that may be included in the next PSF figures and reduce the PSNBex deficit for July/August.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited August 2013

Mike, obviously if the polls are still showing Lab 38% Con 34% in May 2015 only an idiot would deny we're heading for a Labour government.

However, given still over 18 months away from the general election and Labour's lead and share is historically very poor compared to most other Parliaments at this point and given Ed Milibands own personal unpopularity against Cameron's relative popularity and given the recovering economy, and given the Lib-Dem's becoming much more "stable" in the past few months, I think it's very, very unlikely we're still be seeing Lab 38% Con 34% in May 2015.

Time will tell.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    funny .. Roger attempting to distance himself from the Groucho crowd, he must have gone over the road to Soho House, a much youngr class of drunk....
  • Options
    Roger said:

@ Alanbrooke

"and the data say the rich are paying more in tax than under Labour. That's a hard sell."

That's as may be but it's difficult to argue anything other than the rich have never had it so good.

The stock market is booming and for people with money very cheap credit has never been so easy to get.

I suspect many at Groucho's are left scratching their head at talk of austerity.

By contrast of course most ordinary people are just left dreaming of the halcyon days of Blair and Brown. What people see with their eyes is never a hard sell.

Sorry Roger that's London versus the sticks. Really the recovery is only starting to spread out here from about now and it won't reach some parts of the country for a while yet. London chappies however did have it better under Labour, lower taxes more loopholes and Mandy telling them to get filthy to be rich.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    As RichardNabavi mentioned earlier, these models for who is switching where don't take account of the fact that a significant percentage of the electorate switch for the oddest, or even no reason.

Anecdotally, speaking to my aged parents, they are switching from Labour to Tory and the best I could get by way of an explanation is they liked the vetogasm. My aged in laws live in Lincs and are switching from Lib Dem to UKIP due to not liking the large influx of Poles. All four seem to hate all politicians

Neither of these switches would be that forseeable IMHO
This discussion has been closed.