Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Pew Research finds that none of the WH2016 contenders a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Pew Research finds that none of the WH2016 contenders are inspiring voters and negative reactions are high

The above chart has just been published by the excellent Pew Research and is in many ways a US equivalent to the “good PM” ratings that we see in the UK.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Not comparing like with like. Considering how tested she has been, Clinton is doing well IMO. The rest benefit from the doubt. Especially Sanders.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    So the two biggest numbers on the chart, excluding 'don't know' for the also-rans, are the 'Terrible' scores for Trump and Clinton. And who are the favourites to contest the election? Trump and Clinton. Says it all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

If the Conservatives elect a dud as leader, we might see similar contempt for UK leaders.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12111086/Jeremy-Corbyn-is-getting-crushed-at-PMQs...-and-theres-no-hope-in-sight.html
    Anyway: this is it. This is PMQs for the next four years, or however long Mr Corbyn remains Labour leader. Any question he asks the Prime Minister, on any topic (today: the abolition of student maintenance grants), will be met with an onslaught of jeers about Trident, trade unions, terrorism, Marxism, patriotism, pacifism, the Falklands, Hamas, Stop the War, Nato, Paris, Syria and Hilary Benn. Helplessly scrambling to shield themselves, the Labour party will be unable to advance an inch.

I glanced down to where Mr Corbyn was sitting. All I could make out was a forlorn smudge of beige.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNewsnight: SDP founders see prospect of another Labour breakaway https://t.co/Pm5I1PSse7 #newsnight https://t.co/yfBxJfaSo9

@jimfugol: @BBCNewsnight @Maomentum_ we could call ourselves the Gang of 4.5%.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    The person deepest underwater is Jeb.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,160
    Clinton v Trump would be a case of which candidate voters dislike least, that works to Hillary's advantage
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Wanderer said:

America has just spent 8 years cleansing itself of the memory of President George W. It's a couple of decades yet before the Bush brand is electable.
  • Options
    Trump's negative score is quite a lot worse than Hillary's. Worse in total (only candidate over 50% poor/terrible) and worse in that most of it is "terrible".
  • Options

Wanderer said:

America has just spent 8 years cleansing itself of the memory of President George W. It's a couple of decades yet before the Bush brand is electable.
    Do they have a third-generation candidate?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12111086/Jeremy-Corbyn-is-getting-crushed-at-PMQs...-and-theres-no-hope-in-sight.html

Anyway: this is it. This is PMQs for the next four years, or however long Mr Corbyn remains Labour leader. Any question he asks the Prime Minister, on any topic (today: the abolition of student maintenance grants), will be met with an onslaught of jeers about Trident, trade unions, terrorism, Marxism, patriotism, pacifism, the Falklands, Hamas, Stop the War, Nato, Paris, Syria and Hilary Benn. Helplessly scrambling to shield themselves, the Labour party will be unable to advance an inch.

I glanced down to where Mr Corbyn was sitting. All I could make out was a forlorn smudge of beige.
    and its not a partisan piece, it just reflects what actually happened. I didn't hear the Beatles jokes as I was working, I only heard the initial exchanges, but its extremely painful to listen to .
    How long Labour MP's will tolerate this is the burning question of the day.
  • Options
    Has anyone watched this? I'm about to try...

ICYMI: Video: Jeremy Corbyn pledges to "win trust of the British people" in new broadcast https://t.co/wnLzef3NYs https://t.co/OaJBpPFSWC
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    edited January 2016

and its not a partisan piece, it just reflects what actually happened. I didn't hear the Beatles jokes as I was working, I only heard the initial exchanges, but its extremely painful to listen to .

25th March 2020.
  • Options
    I rewound chunks of PMQs just to check it was as painful as it first seemed. Jezza's grumpy teacher mode is failing to control the classroom.

They'd be throwing paper planes if Bercow wasn't watching.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Clearly the Hillary & Donald show - both polarising (Donald worse) and both with low 'average' (trans 'don't care much one way or the other?') scores - unlike the rest - some of whose 'average plus don't know' is nearly half the electorate - who I guess may sensibly be thinking 'I'll not have to worry about most of these chancers'......
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: V experienced Lab sources react to Neale Coleman's decision to quit as Corbyn's policy chief https://t.co/wFgiRXvikL https://t.co/Nbpw3IhUtV
  • Options
    Hardly a surprise - but given the last 'Labour Leader in Salmond's Pocket' cost £900, I suspect the Tories could find funds for another.....or perhaps Putin's pocket?

SNP would ally with anti-Trident Labour MPs on vote, says Salmond

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/811169/snp-would-ally-with-anti-trident-labour-mps-on-vote-says-salmond/
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2016

I rewound chunks of PMQs just to check it was as painful as it first seemed. Jezza's grumpy teacher mode is failing to control the classroom.

As well as his London-centric base, he now has another group that he constantly mentions - circular students.

These are people who must have a grant for their new course because they already have a loan for their last course that apparently led nowhere in terms of a career.

These are the product of the 50% university graduate plan.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, unsurprising indeed. The alliance-that-must-not-be-spoken between SNP and Conservatives to crush Labour worked wonderfully for both parties last time.

I do wonder if this might somewhat backfire. Only on a small scale, but could it help the blues in Scotland win a couple of seats?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Miss Vance, unsurprising indeed. The alliance-that-must-not-be-spoken between SNP and Conservatives to crush Labour worked wonderfully for both parties last time.

I do wonder if this might somewhat backfire. Only on a small scale, but could it help the blues in Scotland win a couple of seats?

MD, don't be silly
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132
    Wanderer said:

Trump's negative score is quite a lot worse than Hillary's. Worse in total (only candidate over 50% poor/terrible) and worse in that most of it is "terrible".

Trump is new to politics so his big negatives could dissolve over the course of a long campaign. The 'terribles' for him may be even more volatile than the 'poors' as a lot of these people will just be registering a knee-jerk aversion to someone like him being President.

Once the race gets down to two there will be different dynamics.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    More trouble at mill... Matt Chorley The times

abour infighting claims Comrade Coleman
    There is trouble in Team Corbyn.

Last night The Times broke the news that Neale Coleman, one of Jeremy Corbyn's top aides, was quitting over feuding in the Labour leader's office.Coleman is head of rebuttal and a former aide to both Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson.

He resigned after a row with Seumas Milne, the Labour leader's media and political adviser.

One senior Labour source said Milne had repeatedly briefed against Coleman and wanted him gone. The insider said: "Seumas thinks he's head of strategy, head of communications, head of policy and chief of staff all in one."

Kate Hoey, the Labour MP, tweeted that it was a "big loss" if Coleman had left, describing him as "someone who can see the wood from the trees".
  • Options

As the old saying goes 'every little helps' - but I doubt Nuclear weapons are a big enough issue to shift votes majorly - even if only 35% of Scots (vs 19% OA UK) believe in Britain giving them up completely.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/oqslggwc4a/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-110415.pdf
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906

That's quite an inditement of Tory MPs. There is something about that chamber that causes grown men and women to strop and shout like three year olds.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,347
    Moses_ said:

Last night The Times broke the news that Neale Coleman, one of Jeremy Corbyn's top aides, was quitting over feuding in the Labour leader's office.Coleman is head of rebuttal and a former aide to both Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson.

He resigned after a row with Seumas Milne, the Labour leader's media and political adviser.

One senior Labour source said Milne had repeatedly briefed against Coleman and wanted him gone. The insider said: "Seumas thinks he's head of strategy, head of communications, head of policy and chief of staff all in one."

Kate Hoey, the Labour MP, tweeted that it was a "big loss" if Coleman had left, describing him as "someone who can see the wood from the trees".

Morning all,

"Seumas thinks he's head of strategy, head of communications, head of policy and chief of staff all in one." - that would fit with his alleged Stalinism then :-)
  • Options
    Mr. G, a morris dancer is never silly.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Not the least of the reasons that the position of LOtO is far too big for JC is that he's easily led, having few political (as opposed to ethical) convictions of his own. For example, he doesn't know whether he believes in Parliamentary democracy - he's certainly never been much good at debate. Perhaps he should do a job swap with Julian Welby?

• Options
    Opinion in the cafe where I'm having breakfast in my corner of rural England: strongly anti-Trump; view that he should not be banned from the country but ignored if he turns up; connection drawn between his immigration policy and dispossession of Native Americans. VI is 100% Con, 0% Lab, 0% LD, 0% DK.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Curiously enough the Guardian had a different slant on the story from other outlets (including left wing ones) - something about him 'wanting to spend more time with his young family' and he's past it nearly sixty.....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

A quick on-topic poll.

Who do you think will win the White House in 2016?

https://www.nojam.com/post/434

• Options
    chestnut said:

As well as his London-centric base, he now has another group that he constantly mentions - circular students.

These are people who must have a grant for their new course because they already have a loan for their last course that apparently led nowhere in terms of a career.

If they want him to stay until 2020 perhaps the Tories would be wise to tone it down a bit and give Jezza a break?
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, disagree. Got to keep working to define Corbyn as the lunatic he is. The Conservatives were very effective with Miliband, although it must be the said the bacon-thwarted monolith-enthusiast didn't exactly help himself.
  • Options

A quick on-topic poll.

Who do you think will win the White House in 2016?

https://www.nojam.com/post/434

50:50 after two entries. I went for Clinton.
  • Options

MD , predicting Tory surges in Scotland is for the fairies , you do not get anything sillier. Let us say less than accurate at best.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Curiously enough the Guardian had a different slant on the story from other outlets (including left wing ones) - something about him 'wanting to spend more time with his young family' and he's past it nearly sixty.....
    I wonder where they got that story from...
  • Options
    I'm amazed that Milne tried this line of attack. It's so crass.

Moses_ said:

I wonder where they got that story from...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Jonathan said:

That's quite an inditement of Tory MPs. There is something about that chamber that causes grown men and women to strop and shout like three year olds.

No side is better than the other when it comes to PMQs. Whenever someone tries to make it seem as though one is it is just silly. The Tories are louder now, but at other times labour are, end of.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Wanderer said:

Opinion in the cafe where I'm having breakfast in my corner of rural England: strongly anti-Trump; view that he should not be banned from the country but ignored if he turns up; connection drawn between his immigration policy and dispossession of Native Americans. VI is 100% Con, 0% Lab, 0% LD, 0% DK.

I know several places like that. What is interesting is they are often full of just the sort of people who pollsters are struggling to get hold off: builders, small business owners, early 30s Mums whose husbands work in the private sector.

Safe havens from the tentacles of the Grauniad and stern geography teachers.

Perhaps pollsters should start doing face to face interviews?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2016
    Head of second Oxford college vetoes renaming computer room

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12111523/Cecil-Rhodes-row-head-of-second-Oxford-college-vetoes-renaming-computer-room.html

Good. Now tell these ignorant f##kers to get on with doing some learning, for instance to start with why the computer room is called Rhodes i.e The Univ Rhodes Computer Room, off the Main Quad, was set up in 1983 after donations from a group of Univ’s former Rhodes Scholars to mark the 80th anniversary of the founding of the Rhodes Trust.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,707
    On those numbers:

Draft Biden!

Draft Palin!

Draft Bloomberg!
  • Options
    Mr. G, two seats out of 58 [NB wins, not retention, hence 58 rather than 59] is not a surge.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Given none of us can think of a way to oust Corbyn, I suspect the Tories are now exploiting Jezza's weakness to rubbish Labour entirely. It was oft repeated at PMQs.

They've got until at least May to clobber Labour. If Corbyn survives longer, it's more free popcorn.

chestnut said:

If they want him to stay until 2020 perhaps the Tories would be wise to tone it down a bit and give Jezza a break?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

you do not get anything sillier. Let us say less than accurate at best.
    Would you describe $110 oil as 'less than accurate' too?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Only at PMQs though.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

When Boris won London Mayoral election, Coleman was the one Red Ken placeman they kept, because they saw him as actually quite good at his job. Tells you all you need to know about why Team Corbyn have fell out with him, he isn't a total and utter numpty...wonder how many times he has been told to just f##k off and join the Tories?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Very Cyclops of you. Labour MP's are just as bad
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12111523/Cecil-Rhodes-row-head-of-second-Oxford-college-vetoes-renaming-computer-room.html

Good. Now tell these ignorant f##kers to get on with doing some learning, for instance to start with why the computer room is called Rhodes i.e The Univ Rhodes Computer Room, off the Main Quad, was set up in 1983 after donations from a group of Univ’s former Rhodes Scholars to mark the 80th anniversary of the founding of the Rhodes Trust.

Good.

I do wonder if the Rhodes scholarship has disciplinary procedures - are the protesters bringing the fund into disrepute with their antics?

Would be quite poetic if the leader had his funding withdrawn after being so vocal.
  • Options

chestnut said:

What they are trying to do is tar the Labour Party with the Corbyn brush. That won't be so easy.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

malcolmg said:

I would call the loyalist governments $142 even more 'less than accurate' and Cameron's $200 Billion the biggest LIE of all. Given their traits Tories are unable to call anyone out on even alleged whoppers given they are the champions at lying.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

chestnut said:

What they are trying to do is tar the Labour Party with the Corbyn brush. That won't be so easy.

Agreed - but it is becoming easier with each sensible Labourite who resigns.

Drip, drip, drip feeding the notion that Corbyn is nothing more than the leader of a hopeless group of malcontents.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Mr. Borough, disagree. Got to keep working to define Corbyn as the lunatic he is. The Conservatives were very effective with Miliband, although it must be the said the bacon-thwarted monolith-enthusiast didn't exactly help himself.

Like it or not, personal abuse of the Labour leader has been part of the Tory playbook since at least Gordon Brown and that is not going to change when Corbyn is replaced, and if David Miliband had beaten Ed, replace bacon with bananas, and the attacks on their father would have been exactly the same.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

I know several places like that. What is interesting is they are often full of just the sort of people who pollsters are struggling to get hold off: builders, small business owners, early 30s Mums whose husbands work in the private sector.

Safe havens from the tentacles of the Grauniad and stern geography teachers.

Perhaps pollsters should start doing face to face interviews?
    What always strikes me when I talk about politics with my neighbours is how far removed they are from clichés about rural conservatives. Right now the conversation has moved on to what a beautiful country Libya is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

No side is better than the other when it comes to PMQs. Whenever someone tries to make it seem as though one is it is just silly. The Tories are louder now, but at other times labour are, end of.
    It's a fairly good rule of thumb that you can tell which side thinks it's winning by who's making most noise at PMQs.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    From CIF: Labour the party of well off patronisers

"A more truthful headline would be 'Rupert Murdoch owns the Guardian as it is impossible to manipulate democracy from behind a paywall '.

The Scott Trust LIMITED has been infiltrated by a neo con. Called Rupert."
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Whereas Corbyn ...
  • Options

Moses_ said:

When Boris won London Mayoral election, Coleman was the one Red Ken placeman they kept, because they saw him as actually quite good at his job. Tells you all you need to know about why Team Corbyn have fell out with him, he isn't a total and utter numpty...wonder how many times he has been told to just f##k off and join the Tories?
    Seamus Milne, the gift that keeps giving. From the Guardian to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Mr. L, personal abuse?

Pointing out what Corbyn has actually said is far from that. It wasn't an evil Tory who made him say he wasn't happy at the idea of shooting dead would-be suicide bombers.

For personal abuse, it would be an absolutely bloody brilliant idea to compare like with like.
  • Options

Like it or not, personal abuse of the Labour leader has been part of the Tory playbook since at least Gordon Brown and that is not going to change when Corbyn is replaced, and if David Miliband had beaten Ed, replace bacon with bananas, and the attacks on their father would have been exactly the same.
    The Tories were following Labour's footsteps.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1355000/images/_1359332_wig_lab300.jpg

And

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40779000/jpg/_40779079_howard_watch203.jpg
  • Options

.. err I think that's Labours' fault,.. Brown really was bonkers, Ed was useless and unelectable, then along came Corbyn who is bonkers , useless and unelectable..

Quite a trick that , choosing someone with all three of the worst possible characteristics for leader..
  • Options
    Seumas is another CCHQ mole. Has a day passed when Labour weren't in the press for negative reasons?
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

chestnut said:

Agreed - but it is becoming easier with each sensible Labourite who resigns.

Drip, drip, drip feeding the notion that Corbyn is nothing more than the leader of a hopeless group of malcontents.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,707

Turning that comment on-topic: I wonder if there will be a job for David Miliband in Hillary's White House?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Good.

I do wonder if the Rhodes scholarship has disciplinary procedures - are the protesters bringing the fund into disrepute with their antics?

Would be quite poetic if the leader had his funding withdrawn after being so vocal.
    Just because people make a bad argument don't mean they should have their funding cuts. I might not support what they say but I'll defend to death their right to say it!!
  • Options
    :smiley:
    chestnut said:

From CIF: Labour the party of well off patronisers

"A more truthful headline would be 'Rupert Murdoch owns the Guardian as it is impossible to manipulate democracy from behind a paywall '.

The Scott Trust LIMITED has been infiltrated by a neo con. Called Rupert."

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

.. err I think that's Labours' fault,.. Brown really was bonkers, Ed was useless and unelectable, then along came Corbyn who is bonkers , useless and unelectable..

Quite a trick that , choosing someone with all three of the worst possible characteristics for leader..
    What about 'Demon Eyes' Blair?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/leaked-draft-savile-scandal-report-reveals-bbc-staff-are-still-afraid-speak-out-about-wrongdoing
    Smith reportedly notes in the report that while the BBC has introduced policy to protect whistleblowers, "there is still a widespread reluctance to complain about anything or even for it to be known that one has complained to a third party.

"I found that employee witnesses who were about to say something to the review that was even mildly critical of the BBC were extremely anxious to maintain their anonymity.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2016

You seem to have forgotten Labour and it's supporters stream of personal attacks on Cameron over the death of his son, and the NHS. And the torrent of filth that poured forth from the very centre of Downing Street, before McBride and his 'chums who didn't see anything from the desk opposite' were rumbled.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995

Flying pig Howard.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Colour me surprised:

"Putin 'probably' behind Litvinenko murder"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35370819
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Anybody else out there worried about the way that freedom in the UK &Europe is increasingly being reduced every year by Totalitarians in the disguise of political correctness.How about somebody starting a website that tries to name the totalitarians out there starting with the half a million people who petitioned for Trump to be banned from UK .(I don`t know how to create a website)
  • Options
    LabourPaul
    I like that the entire history of the Bolshevik Party 1917-1940 is being played out in a suite of offices in SW1.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I would call the loyalist governments $142 even more 'less than accurate' and Cameron's $200 Billion the biggest LIE of all. Given their traits Tories are unable to call anyone out on even alleged whoppers given they are the champions at lying.
    The shorter reply was funnier...the edited longer rant just illustrates your insecurity.....
  • Options
    Mr. Metatron, it's concerning. Covering up mass sexual assault and rape for political reasons is dystopian.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    LambethMomentum attendee last nt: "Like the worst Lab Party meeting ever. 1hr arguing then decision to do a street stall + join RMT picket"
  • Options

Accurate, just about 10 years ahead of its time.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Richard Nav is constantly asking outers to describe what the alternative is .

Daniel Hannan has done just that .

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/what-brexit-would-look-like-for-britain/

"What Brexit would look like for Britain - Life outside the EU could be very good for us"
  • Options
    Neale Coleman, Jeremy Corbyn’s director of policy and rebuttal, had quit the top team. Why does this matter? Well, Coleman is one of the few highly experienced operators in the inner circle, having run the Olympics for Boris and worked closely for Ken Livingstone for years in City Hall before that. A key ally of Ken and of chief of staff Simon Fletcher, Coleman had clashed with comms chief Seumas Milne over Corbyn’s speech last Saturday.

What hasn’t helped matters overnight is what looks like a Milne briefing to the Guardian pointing out that Coleman is 60 and has young kids and may just want a new role with more family friendly hours. Steve Hawkes of the Sun has some nice intel with his Tweet that Fletcher spent a long time at party HQ yesterday "sorting Neale Coleman pay off on his own".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/21/the-waugh-zone-january-21_n_9037268.html
  • Options

Colour me surprised:

"I find that the FSB (Russian Security Service) operation to kill Mr Litvinenko was probably approved by Mr Patrushev and also by President Putin" the report concludes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-35370717
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2016
    TGOHF said:

"What Brexit would look like for Britain - Life outside the EU could be very good for us"

Not specific enough unfortunately. Every tiny detail is required.
  • Options
    Good morning.
  • Options

No mention of Bullingdon . top hats or pigs?

How very un-selfaware..

Glass houses and stones come to mind..
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    McDonnell wanted to give evidence defending “the benefits of direct action”, yet District Judge Deborah Wright deemed what he had to say irrelevant:

http://order-order.com/2016/01/21/judge-rules-mcdonnell-irrelevant/

Another week, and McMao is supporting another lot of nutters. An update on McMao decision to support CAGE protest, as well as well known Jahadi Begg, it seems others in the photo were the Tipton Taliban.

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/01/11/john-jihad-mcdonnell/
  • Options

Colour me surprised:

"I find that the FSB (Russian Security Service) operation to kill Mr Litvinenko was probably approved by Mr Patrushev and also by President Putin" the report concludes.

This is a difficult one for the government.

It should not be a difficult one for the Labour front bench, but given their current behaviour ...
  • Options

Good morning.

You play Colchester in the next round, which was the scene of a Tory gain at the general election, I think this calls for you to rewatch the BBC's election night coverage
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

TGOHF said:

Not specific enough unfortunately. Every tiny detail is required.
    Is 'free movement of Labour' a 'tiny detail?

It's not clear what Dan thinks would happen - he elides with 'we'd stay out of Schengen of course' - not that anyone is proposing we join it......
  • Options

Colour me surprised:

Cue LuckyBoy1983 in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...
  • Options

Neale Coleman, Jeremy Corbyn’s director of policy and rebuttal, had quit the top team. Why does this matter? Well, Coleman is one of the few highly experienced operators in the inner circle, having run the Olympics for Boris and worked closely for Ken Livingstone for years in City Hall before that. A key ally of Ken and of chief of staff Simon Fletcher, Coleman had clashed with comms chief Seumas Milne over Corbyn’s speech last Saturday.

What hasn’t helped matters overnight is what looks like a Milne briefing to the Guardian pointing out that Coleman is 60 and has young kids and may just want a new role with more family friendly hours. Steve Hawkes of the Sun has some nice intel with his Tweet that Fletcher spent a long time at party HQ yesterday "sorting Neale Coleman pay off on his own".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/21/the-waugh-zone-january-21_n_9037268.html

Hold on. The Head of Olympic Deliverance has quit? Life imitates art, or 2012.
  • Options
    Bless

JeremyCorbyn4PM
    Absolutely!
    Good job we have such a talented bunch doing all this work 4 Labour with @jeremycorbyn @johnmcdonnellMP https://t.co/qygHnSwlQw
  • Options

Colour me surprised:

This is a difficult one for the government.

It should not be a difficult one for the Labour front bench, but given their current behaviour ...
    It should be perfect for the Opposition - demanding Something Must be Done! then complaining that its Not enough!!! or TOO MUCH!!! when the cheesed off Russians stop cooperating on Syria......they really shouldn't be able to lose.....

I expect the SNP will have most fun with this....they've got the appropriate combination of brass neck and naked opportunism (and why not?)
  • Options

How very un-selfaware..

The posh stuff perhaps, to a point, but most of the Eton and all of the pigs stuff came from the Conservative side.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467

Colour me surprised:

Some people will believe anything, barely credible. Embarrassing actions from the government again, we simply can't allow our foreign policy with major or not nations to be dictated by fugitive criminals like Boris Berezovsky, William Browder and Mikhail Khodorkovsky spreading their largesse through the political media class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388237/Its-murder-mystery-causing-political-shockwaves-London-Moscow-But-radioactive-Russian-spy-killed-bungling-MI6-agents.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,132

This slogan might be a good one to recycle against Corbyn at some point:

http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2011ET/2011ET3732.jpg

You can see in the small print that the poster was made by a collective led by Billy Bragg - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wedge
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

Colour me surprised:

Some people will believe anything, barely credible. Embarrassing actions from the government again, we simply can't allow our foreign policy with major or not nations to be dictated by fugitive criminals like Boris Berezovsky, William Browder and Mikhail Khodorkovsky spreading their largesse through the political media class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388237/Its-murder-mystery-causing-political-shockwaves-London-Moscow-But-radioactive-Russian-spy-killed-bungling-MI6-agents.html
    Is that your government in Moscow, 'London' Bob?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

How very un-selfaware..

The posh stuff perhaps, to a point, but most of the Eton and all of the pigs stuff came from the Conservative side.
    Come off it. The Bullingdon / Flashman attack on Cameron was tried again and again and again. The likes of Muckguire couldn't do a tv appearance without banging on about it, we had Marr do the dirty tricks approach where he had the infamous image flashed up mid interview and there was even a tv special commissioned about Cameron / Boris time involved with Bullingdon which ran in the run up to the GE.

But for whatever reason, the public just don't seem to care that much.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/21/france-overhaul-secularism-teaching-anti-radicalisation-paris-attacks
    “We have to reappropriate the concept of laïcité [secularism] so we can explain to our young pupils that whatever their faith, they belong to this idea and they’re not excluded. Secularism is not something against them; it protects them,” she said

France is a secular republic built on a clear separation of church and state, intended to foster equality for all private beliefs. The state remains neutral in terms of religion but must safeguard everyone’s freedom to practise their own faith. In 2004, France banned girls from wearing Islamic headscarves in state schools – along with banning all other religious symbols such as crosses or turbans – arguing schools must be free of all religion.
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

Colour me surprised:

Some people will believe anything, barely credible. Embarrassing actions from the government again
    The government havent done anything

This is the result of an inquiry....which hasnt pulled punches some were expecting it to do under government pressure

and Putin wont like this being repeated:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZPDzYrWkAA-iPv.jpg
  • Options

How very un-selfaware..

Come off it. The Bullingdon / Flashman attack on Cameron was tried again and again and again. The likes of Muckguire couldn't do a tv appearance without banging on about it, we had Marr do the dirty tricks approach where he had the infamous image flashed up mid interview and there was even a tv special commissioned about Cameron / Boris time involved with Bullingdon which ran in the run up to the GE.

But for whatever reason, the public just don't seem to care that much.
    Kevin Maguire still goes on about the 'Bullerboy' at every other mention of Cameron. And the Eton stuff is in Labour's blood. They can't help themselves.
  • Options

Good morning.

You play Colchester in the next round, which was the scene of a Tory gain at the general election, I think this calls for you to rewatch the BBC's election night coverage
    Ah Colchester, very close to where I used to live, and yet I called it a safe LibDem hold.

My biggest ever betting loss, although it hasn't been called in. Yet(!)
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    the public just don't seem to care that much.

Perhaps they are just more grown up than the Labour Party
This discussion has been closed.