Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rubio the big betting gainer and Bush the big loser after a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rubio the big betting gainer and Bush the big loser after a week that saw the 3rd Republican nominee WH2016 debate

Because there is a general clampdown down in the US on online betting many US observers are having to look at what is happening on the UK markets in order to get a sense of the betting sentiment on the White House Race.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Rentool, 'pooled'?

Ha.

On-topic: I am mildly irked that my 50/1 bet on Rubio was for the preceding election. Morris Dancer = ahead of the times! [If Greening or Patel become the leader after next of the Conservatives I shall be very annoyed].
  • Options
    Jeb is running a truly dire campaign. You'd think Ed Miliband was his campaign chief.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'm seeing double.
  • Options

Jeb is running a truly dire campaign. You'd think Ed Miliband was his campaign chief.

There's been speculation in some newspapers that he doesn't actually want it. Just going through the motions for family reasons.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    I was reading something yesterday saying that Bush's support would entirely shift across to Rubio if he dropped out. Carson and Trump need to keep Bush in the race.
  • Options

The slogan was only the start of it
    He wrote it, and now he's a part of it
  • Options

DavidL said:

But this is an EU problem, not a Greek or Hungary or Italy problem and we will need to help to clean up the mess. As you say it is in our interests to do so.

It could come out of the aid budget, so it needn't mean a net increase in our spending.
    By the same token why cannot the EU take the money it needs from existing budgets, perhaps spend less in one area in order to increase spending in another? Why is it that the EU's seemingly only solution to any problem is to demand more cash from its members' taxpayers.
    The Common Agricultural Policy is 40% of the entire EU budget. I don't see how we can possibly justify taking money away from people suffering in Africa, yet still leave wealthy French farmers untouched.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    edited November 2015

Jeb'll fix it with an 8 foot 6 inch limestone policy obelisk.
  • Options

There's been speculation in some newspapers that he doesn't actually want it. Just going through the motions for family reasons.
    That would explain a lot.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    FPT. Charles.

Partly the way my post was formatted. I was mainly aiming at Max's "Lazy Pakis vote Labour-Hard working Hindus vote Tory". You just joined in....

The problem with this site when it becomes completely Tory is that conversations which would normally be 'entre nous' you feel emboldened to say out loud
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, 'entre nous'?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2015
    MD

Entre nous='between ourselves'
  • Options

Mr. Roger, 'entre nous'?

Between ourselves
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015

Mr. Roger, 'entre nous'?

'entre nous' - openly slagging off English waitresses when one thinks we're amongst like minded bigoted souls.
  • Options
    Cheers, Mr. Roger, Mr. Eagles, and Mr. 30.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2015

Ooooo! We should have a competition for best suggested inscription (or engraving?).

Having said that, I'm drawing a blank :blush:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    edited November 2015
    Would be interesting to hear what 'les indecideds' made of an Arron Banks funded film shown on the BBC that depicted a post EU Britain of social harmony, flourishing economy, zero crime and constant sunshine

• Options
    Anorak said:

Ooooo! We should have a competition for best suggested inscription (or engraving?).

I'm putting together a thread on the Edstone.

I describe the Edstone as the most important obelisk in human history, even more so than the obelisk at the start of 2001
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277
    To me, Rubio looks the obvious choice for the Republicans. I think he would have an excellent chance of beating Hillary.

But I am quite a long way from a republican voter, let alone the average republican voter, and find it very hard to judge their thinking. What I can't help thinking is that these markets are getting driven more by people like me (who thinks Trump is a joke, more so than Corbyn even) than the people who are actually going to vote.

Or to put it another way, the markets are running dangerously far ahead of the polling. They may be right, I think they probably are, but it assumes not just common sense but a common frame of reference and I think that is missing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Then, he turns to Jimmy Saville for inspiration.

I think Donald Trump, Herman Cain, or Christine O'Donnell would all make better candidates than Jeb.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Roger

Thank you
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited November 2015
    JEO said:

DavidL said:

But this is an EU problem, not a Greek or Hungary or Italy problem and we will need to help to clean up the mess. As you say it is in our interests to do so.

It could come out of the aid budget, so it needn't mean a net increase in our spending.
    By the same token why cannot the EU take the money it needs from existing budgets, perhaps spend less in one area in order to increase spending in another? Why is it that the EU's seemingly only solution to any problem is to demand more cash from its members' taxpayers.
    The Common Agricultural Policy is 40% of the entire EU budget. I don't see how we can possibly justify taking money away from people suffering in Africa, yet still leave wealthy French farmers untouched.
    Because the French will say "NON"

It is a "Little Europe" policy that is well past it's sell by date.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To me, Rubio looks the obvious choice for the Republicans. I think he would have an excellent chance of beating Hillary.

But I am quite a long way from a republican voter, let alone the average republican voter, and find it very hard to judge their thinking. What I can't help thinking is that these markets are getting driven more by people like me (who thinks Trump is a joke, more so than Corbyn even) than the people who are actually going to vote.

Or to put it another way, the markets are running dangerously far ahead of the polling. They may be right, I think they probably are, but it assumes not just common sense but a common frame of reference and I think that is missing.

My money's split between Rubio and Trump with some speculative bets from some time ago on Fiorina who, to my mind at least, s by far the best candidate.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @CycleFree

Mrs. Free, we spoke last night about cat food. Herself has just come home having done some shopping. Whilst helping to unpack (i.e. rummaging through the bags to see what goodies there are) I found a pack of frozen Crab Au Gratin. Naturally I made appreciative noises as a good husband should when his wife has bought him a treat. "Get off", she said, "Those aren't for you! They are for Thomas".

Good quality cat food is so expensive these days it is actually cheaper to feed the moggie on human food. A Waitrose roast chicken may not have the right mix of vitamins and minerals a cat needs but they only cost a fiver and when the moggie is over 18 years old does it matter.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FWIW, punditry here thinks it is essentially between Rubio and Cruz at this point with Rubio the clear front runner and Cruz really just the flag bearer for the angry and ultra conservatives. Christie and Kasich are seen, as I voiced before this became the received wisdom, as the back ups in case Rubio falters.

Interesting to see Kasich's numbers have improved significantly as Bush has fallen.

Feeling smug to have been saying all along (at least since he announced and did not assume a commanding lead) that Jeb would not get it.
  • Options
    F1: last time I'll put this up, but it was a bit late so you may have missed my post-race rambling about the Mexican Grand Prix, which went reasonably well:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/mexico-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options

I think that is re-writing history. Barbara Bush, who rules the family like an old-fashioned matriarch, was strongly opposed to Jeb running and had to be persuaded by him to give her blessing. He did not announce until he got it.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Why not some good old Bush family sayings:

"Read my lips - no new taxes"

and

"Mission accomplished"
  • Options

Anorak said:

I'm putting together a thread on the Edstone.

I describe the Edstone as the most important obelisk in human history, even more so than the obelisk at the start of 2001
    Tut! 2001 had a monolith; obelisks are tapering. And you claim to be a classicist...
  • Options
    JEO said:

FPT You keep on arguing against strawman arguments I haven't said, like the BBC bidding for EU grants, or the EU being involved creatively in the programme. Those things are irrelevant. The only things you need to believe for my statement to be true are points 1 through 3. And you openly admit you don't know at least two of those points. But despite not knowing the facts, you insult someone that does know the facts for the conclusion that results from them.

What rot. You sought to taint the BBC's neutrality with wild accusations and minimal evidence. If you don't want derision heaped on you, don't conjure up absurd conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    isam said:

Would be interesting to hear what 'les indecideds' made of an Arron Banks funded film shown on the BBC that depicted a post EU Britain of social harmony, flourishing economy, zero crime and constant sunshine

That it doesn't sound like compelling viewing. In other words, exactly what we made of the programme which JEO was getting so excited about.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My money's split between Rubio and Trump with some speculative bets from some time ago on Fiorina who, to my mind at least, s by far the best candidate.

I think you are wrong on Fiorina. She is not a good campaigner and has way too much baggage in the closet which has not yet been fully deployed because she has not really cracked into the top tier.

The natural politicians - those for whom it is 'easy' - in the GOP race are Rubio, Christie and Huckabee, although Huckabee could never get the nod.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Anorak said:

and

"Mission accomplished"
    I can't think of any way to get the Deliverance banjo music into words. Maybe just "squeal like a pig".
  • Options

DavidL said:

Fiorina should be a strong candidate, in the same way as Huntsman should have been the last time, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I think that once Trump starts falling it could be precipitous but I am conscious that I just found him ridiculous from day 1 and obviously many far more relevant Americans did not.
  • Options
    isam said:

We get the text version of that on pb every day.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Even if that were true, you criticise it!

But I don't really remember anyone suggesting any of that, it's normally that it wouldn't be much different, but we'd be in control

As I said yesterday, I'd rather Corbyn PM and open borders outside the EU ham the status quo. At least we could vote him out and he couldnt do the Cameron/May routine of blaming their hands being tied by some EU bureaucrat
  • Options
    edited November 2015

isam said:

That it doesn't sound like compelling viewing. In other words, exactly what we made of the programme which JEO was getting so excited about.
    It doesn't I agree, but it wouldn't get shown and that's the difference
  • Options
    On topic, the UK betting markets on the US seem to me to be lagging rather than leading.

I'd not be comfortable betting against Ted Cruz at present.
  • Options
    isam said:

... a post EU Britain of ... constant sunshine

Sounds like you subscribe to global warming.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It's very hard to see what the argument for Jeb Bush is. Not conservative enough to get the core vote enthused, has a last name which is toxic for swing voters, little charisma or likability to compensate for any of that.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

On topic, the UK betting markets on the US seem to me to be lagging rather than leading.

I think they are wholly unreliable. On average, I'd say that in political markets, people tend to bet on outcomes they want, rather than on what really will happen (of course, PB betters excepted). That is bad enough when the betters are voters. But when they are not even citizens of the country in which the election is to be held, and cannot have that gut feeling for elections that comes with living in the country, I'd strongly caution against placing much credence in them at all as predictors.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    antifrank said:

They've been ahead of the polls in forecasting Marco Rubio's rise.
  • Options
    Rubio is, perhaps, rightly favourite, but the current odds are too short. There are still many banana skins in his path. These include fundraising (he hasn't done much), organisation (he hasn't got much), relative inexperience, a patchy Senate record, and his position on immigration.

See here for a useful summary of his position and the field as a whole:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/republicans-2016-oct-28-debate/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

FWIW, punditry here thinks it is essentially between Rubio and Cruz at this point with Rubio the clear front runner and Cruz really just the flag bearer for the angry and ultra conservatives. Christie and Kasich are seen, as I voiced before this became the received wisdom, as the back ups in case Rubio falters.

Interesting to see Kasich's numbers have improved significantly as Bush has fallen.

Feeling smug to have been saying all along (at least since he announced and did not assume a commanding lead) that Jeb would not get it.

To this longtime Bush-sceptic, it is no surprise he's going nowhere but it still looks murky. It may be a mistake to treat Carson and Trump as the same. From the far side of the Atlantic, it looks like Carson has the religious and rural right who might have gone to Huckabee, whereas the ideologically uncertain Trump has NOTA and voters who might otherwise go to Cruz (and for that reason, Cruz might be worth a look as VP candidate to a centrist at the top).

The GOP Establishment has not jumped one way or the other. Bush remains in the race. Ryan as new Speaker might even make a difference if a more confrontational Congress pushes the candidates that way.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

MTimT said:

Anorak said:

and

"Mission accomplished"
    I can't think of any way to get the Deliverance banjo music into words. Maybe just "squeal like a pig".
    The Bushes are old money Kennenbunkport - true WASPs, for all their Texas and Florida connections. Deliverance is hardly their style.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Anorak said:

and

"Mission accomplished"
    "Some people call you the Elite. I call you my base"
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Roger said:

FPT. Charles.

Partly the way my post was formatted. I was mainly aiming at Max's "Lazy Pakis vote Labour-Hard working Hindus vote Tory". You just joined in....

The problem with this site when it becomes completely Tory is that conversations which would normally be 'entre nous' you feel emboldened to say out loud

Dear Bill,

Entre nous...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Bill

You are a Private Eye Reader from the 1980s, and I claim my five gold sovereigns.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

FPT You keep on arguing against strawman arguments I haven't said, like the BBC bidding for EU grants, or the EU being involved creatively in the programme. Those things are irrelevant. The only things you need to believe for my statement to be true are points 1 through 3. And you openly admit you don't know at least two of those points. But despite not knowing the facts, you insult someone that does know the facts for the conclusion that results from them.

What rot. You sought to taint the BBC's neutrality with wild accusations and minimal evidence. If you don't want derision heaped on you, don't conjure up absurd conspiracy theories.
    Once again, you completely fail to engage with my arguments or the facts of the debate. As soon as the argument paints you into a corner, where you're forced to either deny something obviously true or concede the argument, you just avoid answering and start insulting the other person.

I don't actually care if you deride me. There are a great number of informed voices on this board from all over the political shop, whose opinions I respect. But then there are a handful of individuals like yourself, Dair or malcolmg who allow emotion to overflow critical thinking, and when challenged start name-calling.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    FPT Charles, I always find Edith Cavell's story moving.

I think it's wrong to view her as victim and martyr, as wartime propaganda portrayed her; rather as a woman of exceptional courage and resourcefulness, who knew very well that she was gambling her life, in order to rescue her countrymen.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

But not funded with taxpayer's money.
  • Options
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

JEO said:

Once again, you completely fail to engage with my arguments or the facts of the debate. As soon as the argument paints you into a corner, where you're forced to either deny something obviously true or concede the argument, you just avoid answering and start insulting the other person.

I don't actually care if you deride me. There are a great number of informed voices on this board from all over the political shop, whose opinions I respect. But then there are a handful of individuals like yourself, Dair or malcolmg who allow emotion to overflow critical thinking, and when challenged start name-calling.
    Your "argument", as you choose to call it, is that EU funding tentacles into the BBC are tainting the debate. The evidence that you've produced? The production company of one film that ultimately appeared on the BBC may have received EU funding - though there's no evidence that it had anything to do with the content and the funding may well have been for entirely technical matters.

And you wonder why I deride you?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

antifrank said:

I think they are wholly unreliable. On average, I'd say that in political markets, people tend to bet on outcomes they want, rather than on what really will happen (of course, PB betters excepted). That is bad enough when the betters are voters. But when they are not even citizens of the country in which the election is to be held, and cannot have that gut feeling for elections that comes with living in the country, I'd strongly caution against placing much credence in them at all as predictors.
    That's really what I was saying. Just because Americans speak a kind of English we think we understand them much more than we do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

DavidL said:

Because the French will say "NON"

It is a "Little Europe" policy that is well past it's sell by date.
    This is why Cameron's renegotiation is so important. If we mange to get the critical reforms needed to the EU, it will show that an Anglo-German axis can overcome the historic Franco-German one.
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    DavidL said:

============================

I lived in America for 25 yrs in 8 western states and have followed US politics extensively
    RUBIO is indeed the obvious choice for the Republicans with at least a 50/50 chance of beating Hillary ..he's probably the only one who can beat her ; he's young , dynamic and ''Kennedy-esque ''and offers the best contrast to the aging establishment figure (Hillary) who has a smug and preening sense of entitlement that is sure to tempt fate
    He is in some ways a Republican Obama and Obama beat Hillary ...American politics are intertwined with Hollywood and Rubio looks and sounds like someone from the entertainment industry ...sounds like a recipe for success to me

• Options
    When does the renegotiation start btw ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

=========================

If Rubio fails then Cruz is the backup , but Cruz seems too provincial and Texan , too Elmore Gantry for the under 40 crowd in the swing states

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Cromwell said:

antifrank said:

=========================

If Rubio fails then Cruz is the backup , but Cruz seems too provincial and Texan , too Elmore Gantry for the under 40 crowd in the swing states

Rubio and Cruz are the same age !

I do like Cruz's plans for US space exploration tho ;p
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

DavidL said:

============================

I lived in America for 25 yrs in 8 western states and have followed US politics extensively
    RUBIO is indeed the obvious choice for the Republicans with at least a 50/50 chance of beating Hillary ..he's probably the only one who can beat her ; he's young , dynamic and ''Kennedy-esque ''and offers the best contrast to the aging establishment figure (Hillary) who has a smug and preening sense of entitlement that is sure to tempt fate
    He is in some ways a Republican Obama and Obama beat Hillary ...American politics are intertwined with Hollywood and Rubio looks and sounds like someone from the entertainment industry ...sounds like a recipe for success to me

Well that's good to hear but why is he not polling better, fundraising better and organising better?
  • Options
    I suspect that the Republicans will win Florida , Ohio , Iowa , Nevada and Colorado ...they could possibly even win Penn ...the Dems must win either Florida , Ohio or Penn
  • Options
    Rubio may not be the beneficiary if Bush withdraws. Someone like Kasich is more likely (imo) to pick up his support. Rubio and Bush may both come from Florida but that is where it ends, so far as I can see. Kasich is more like Bush politically, representing centrist pragmatism, so may pick up Bush voters and more importantly, Establishment and donor support.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    antifrank said:

Your "argument", as you choose to call it, is that EU funding tentacles into the BBC are tainting the debate. The evidence that you've produced? The production company of one film that ultimately appeared on the BBC may have received EU funding - though there's no evidence that it had anything to do with the content and the funding may well have been for entirely technical matters.

Sure, a fake documentary showing how the collapse of the EU caused catastrophe for Europe was funded by the EU for entirely technical matters.

I know why you deride me. You have a habit of deriding everyone that disagrees with you. It substitutes for critical thinking.
  • Options

Rubio may not be the beneficiary if Bush withdraws. Someone like Kasich is more likely (imo) to pick up his support. Rubio and Bush may both come from Florida but that is where it ends, so far as I can see. Kasich is more like Bush politically, representing centrist pragmatism, so may pick up Bush voters and more importantly, Establishment and donor support.

Kasich definitely seemed slightly to the left of Bush from what I could pick up in the debates.
  • Options
    On American politics I really like to read Chris Cillizza. This was his piece on Ryan becoming speaker: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ryan-has-a-lot-going-for-him-but-hes-still-unlikely-to-heal-a-broken-house/2015/11/01/6e73549a-80a9-11e5-9afb-0c971f713d0c_story.html

He says:

"A 2014 study by the Pew Research Center showed that 92 percent of Republicans are more ideologically conservative than the median Democrat, and that 94 percent of Democrats are more liberal than the mean Republican. Compare that with a 1994 Pew study that found that the median Democrat was to the left of 64 percent of Republicans, and the median Republican to the right of 70 percent of Democrats. There is just not much middle ground left in America anymore."

I think this is right and it gives more extreme candidates in both parties a considerable edge that they would not have with the population as a whole. Like antifrank, and for this reason, I would not rule out Cruz.
  • Options
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

Sure, a fake documentary showing how the collapse of the EU causing catastrophe for Europe was funded by the EU for entirely technical matters.

I know why you deride me. You have a habit of deriding everyone that disagrees with you. It substitutes for critical thinking.
    As I said previously, you're welcome to your conspiracy theories but I won't be subscribing to your newsletter.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, nonsense.

I also enjoyed this FIFA documentary:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Passions
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I think the reason why the BBC has lost so much in reputation is that they simply don't care about thruth in evidence. A dozen years ago the BBC Panorama team came to Bournemouth to cover a story on rough sleepers under one of the Bournemouth piers. They presented a 23 year old man as one of the rough sleepers - but he had a council flat, on benefits with alcholism - the BBC interviewed him in the road outside his flat and paid for the interview with bottles of vodka. The program made me question the BBC's honesty.

Whether or not there is/was a problem with rough sleepers in Bournemouth I don't know.
  • Options

Indeed, that already appears to be happening.

I'd still like to see a Kasich/Rubio ticket, but at this stage it is more likely to be Rubio at the top, and someone else on the bottom. Probably a woman.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Danny565 said:

It's very hard to see what the argument for Jeb Bush is. Not conservative enough to get the core vote enthused, has a last name which is toxic for swing voters, little charisma or likability to compensate for any of that.

The argument is unless the republicans pull out a candidate with a surname of Nixon then their amazing record will continue.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

The argument is unless the republicans pull out a candidate with a surname of Nixon then their amazing record will continue.
    Not sure I follow. Can you expand?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not really being serious but when was the last time the Republicans won a presidential election without a Nixon or Bush on the ticket?
  • Options
    Rubio has had a slow start due to the fact that he has been overshadowed by Jeb who has most of the financial support but the big donors are quickly losing confidence in Jeb and are about to abandon ship and support Rubio ..Sheldon Adelson is about to back Rubio
    Trump is just a lot of noise and bluster , while the hapless Carson seems like he is promoting his books ; neither have any real intentions of becoming President ...I suspect that Rubio will win New Hampshire
  • Options

Mr. JEO, nonsense.

I also enjoyed this FIFA documentary:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Passions

I'm sure FIFA chose to fund that documentary for technical reasons, and it was nothing to do with showing FIFA in a positive light.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not really being serious but when was the last time the Republicans won a presidential election without a Nixon or Bush on the ticket?
    Regan?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Indeed, that already appears to be happening.

I'd still like to see a Kasich/Rubio ticket, but at this stage it is more likely to be Rubio at the top, and someone else on the bottom. Probably a woman.
    That sounds about right , but it could be Rubio/Kasich as a way to win ohio

• Options
    edited November 2015
    A neutral look at what might happen if we leave

http://youtu.be/9ZLHi0bRkeU
  • Options
    Kasich makes sense as a VP due to his Ohio links.
  • Options

Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Regan?
    Reagan had George HW Bush as VP.
  • Options
    No Rod Crosby to tell us Rubio isn't eligible?
  • Options
    isam said:

A neutral look at what might happen if we leave

I'm trying to work out what technical aspects won the funds: the quality special effects of a toy plane or the sophisticated acting of a sighing Angus Deayton.
  • Options
    Don't know much about Rubio yet.
    He doesn't look too rabid, though.
    http://votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/1601/marco-rubio/#.VjjjQPnhDcs
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Appreciate it's a satirical question, but Herbert Hoover, 1928
  • Options

Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Regan?
    Reagan had George HW Bush as VP.
    Ah, sorry.
  • Options
    Ford/Rockefeller ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,277
    edited November 2015
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Herbert Hoover, 1928 (VP was Charles Curtis)

EDIT: got beaten to it!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Reagan didn't do too badly. I doubt Bush on the bottom of the ticket helped in the slightest.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

That turns out to be a smart question and as the answer shows, its getting on for 100 years
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Hillary Clinton Will Be The Forty Fifth President Of The United States.

HCWBTFFPOTUS
  • Options
    PAW said:

I think the reason why the BBC has lost so much in reputation is that they simply don't care about thruth in evidence. A dozen years ago the BBC Panorama team came to Bournemouth to cover a story on rough sleepers under one of the Bournemouth piers. They presented a 23 year old man as one of the rough sleepers - but he had a council flat, on benefits with alcholism - the BBC interviewed him in the road outside his flat and paid for the interview with bottles of vodka. The program made me question the BBC's honesty.

Whether or not there is/was a problem with rough sleepers in Bournemouth I don't know.

I agree with you, but I'm guessing part of the problem is the way the bbc farms its programmes out to independent production companies who have sensationalism as a motive.
    The BBC is also obsessed with ratings when it should not be. As a mega multi billion pound organisation with no requirement to make a profit the BBC is at leisure to pay itself very comfortable salaries indeed.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Reagan didn't do too badly. I doubt Bush on the bottom of the ticket helped in the slightest.
    Not sure that Nixon on the bottom of Eisenhower's ticket was really necessary to winning either...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

When does the renegotiation start btw ?

I thought they had. Do you think that when various bodies finally gather around the table they will not have actually sorted out the main points before hand?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2015
    OMG. Shock resignation of one of UKIP's leading and most valuable members:

Winston McKenzie

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-11-03/high-profile-ukip-member-quits-party/

The question is, who will he join next?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I think that is re-writing history. Barbara Bush, who rules the family like an old-fashioned matriarch, was strongly opposed to Jeb running and had to be persuaded by him to give her blessing. He did not announce until he got it.
    Jeb has greater hopes for his son than himself. The establishment persuaded him to run. When you look at the rag tag and bobtail if the other candidates you can see why.
    You also have to question why the GOP think it clever to line up a dozen or more prospective candidates, half of them self publicists, on national TV to make the party look stupid in public.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 31 mins31 minutes ago
    EU referendum poll:
    Remain: 44% (-1)
    Leave: 38% (-)
    (via ICM / Oct 30 - 01 Nov)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    chestnut said:

EU referendum poll:

All to play for.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

EU referendum poll:

Broken, sleazy Remain on the slide?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Hillary Clinton Will Be The Forty Fifth President Of The United States.

HCWBTFFPOTUS

Listen to your Arse, Jack. Your Hillary prediction is your Ass speaking. That ghastly woman will never be President.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

EU referendum poll:

Time for a sequel to the "Great European Disaster Movie"?

Maybe this time instead of race riots w Farage and Le Pen in charge of England and France they can make it even more scary

The Ghost of Adolf Hitler and Nick Griffin agree to increase Global Warming?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,963
    MP_SE said:

chestnut said:

EU referendum poll:

All to play for.
    Paraphrasing someone formerly of this parish: An utterly sensational poll for Leave. Their highest poll ever received by ICM on the first day of a month!

I'll get my coat.... :p