Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Alex Salmond has died – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,078
edited October 12 in General
Alex Salmond has died – politicalbetting.com

? BREAKING: Alex Salmond, the former first minister of Scotland, has died aged 69. He collapsed after delivering a speech in North Macedonia https://t.co/Z4L8Tjt3uU

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,773
    FPT:

RIP Ales Salmond.

I did not agree with some of his politics, but he fought tenaciously for his views. His successors are/were non-entities in comparison.

(If anyone can get in quick, Wiki's still not been updated...)
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,273
    Salmond was a serious player, fashioning not just an historical, cultural case for Scottish independence but more importantly the economic case that Scotland was a viable state.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,161
    Not an old man, a shocking situation.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,809
    Nothing on BBC website nor Guardian.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,390
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

Poland suspends the right of asylum

"Poland will “temporarily suspend the right to asylum”, announced
    @donaldtusk
    in a speech outlining a tougher new migration strategy aimed at “regaining control and ensuring security".

"I will demand recognition of this decision in Europe," he added"

https://x.com/notesfrompoland/status/1845062353865302380

"🇵🇱Polish Prime Minister has announced a migration strategy for Poland:

‘One of the elements of the migration strategy will be the temporary, territorial suspension of the right to asylum and I will demand the right to recognize this decision in Europe.’

‘We will not implement European ideas if we are certain that they harm our interests. And I am talking about the migration pact’

And this is "moderate" Donald Tusk

Asylum, migration and Schengen are breaking Europe into pieces

Schengen is generally popular : take Switzerland, they narrowly voted to join about 15 years ago, but polls now show support of 70:30.
    Less popular in Germany, where it has now been effectively suspended
    So you now need to show your passport at a border post when you cross?

And trains now have passport inspectors on them?

Or perhaps - to quote the German government page: "travelers within the Schengen Area may face random inspections when entering Germany"?

Which is why I said "effectively", not entirely
    So, 'effectively' means: 'not at all'.
    The whole point of Schengen is COMPLETE Free Movement, nothing at all stopping anyone moving from one Schengen country to another. That has been suspended, in effect, in Germany. Total Free Movement has ended. However they have not brought back the border guards and barbed wire. Yet
    Sure, sure.

That's what "effectively" means. Everyone agrees with you.

No, I'm with Leon on this point of extreme pedantry. Schengen meant no limitations to movement within the Schengen area. There now are limitations. So it's been suspended.
    Would that mean free movement in the UK was suspended if roadblocks were put up to catch an escaped criminal?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,733
    RIP
  • He was always impressive in his performances, a cheeky grin and then a ripping apart of the opposing argument.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,521
    A very talented politician, formidable in his prime. RIP.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,272
    Mcgobsmaked

I didint agree with him but could respect him as a principled politician.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 54,037
    Yes, I agree. A consequential figure, albeit flawed

Also very bright and had serious political talent. RIP

I met him just once, in a Biz Class Lounge at Heathrow T3, where he was - fittingly - knocking back the free champagne with great satisfaction
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 681
    Sky news is running tributes from various politicians to Salmond. BBC yet to report his death. I know the BBC is supposed to verify everything but it is appearing as hopelessly out of touch.
    SandraMc said:

Sky news is running tributes from various politicians to Salmond. BBC yet to report his death. I know the BBC is supposed to verify everything but it is appearing as hopelessly out of touch.

BBC just put it up on news website.

Saturday staffing I guess
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,273

Nothing on BBC website nor Guardian.

BBC has it now.
    SandraMc said:

Does a few minutes matter that much?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,011
    An important politician, brought low by his own party.

Be interesting to see what comes out now.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,135
    BBC Report:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8rd8z70pn8o

I think consequential is a good choice of word to describe his impact on this country.
    edited October 12
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk
    in a speech outlining a tougher new migration strategy aimed at “regaining control and ensuring security".

‘One of the elements of the migration strategy will be the temporary, territorial suspension of the right to asylum and I will demand the right to recognize this decision in Europe.’

‘We will not implement European ideas if we are certain that they harm our interests. And I am talking about the migration pact’

Schengen is generally popular : take Switzerland, they narrowly voted to join about 15 years ago, but polls now show support of 70:30.

Or perhaps - to quote the German government page: "travelers within the Schengen Area may face random inspections when entering Germany"?

The whole point of Schengen is COMPLETE Free Movement, nothing at all stopping anyone moving from one Schengen country to another. That has been suspended, in effect, in Germany. Total Free Movement has ended. However they have not brought back the border guards and barbed wire. Yet
    Sure, sure.

No, I'm with Leon on this point of extreme pedantry. Schengen meant no limitations to movement within the Schengen area. There now are limitations. So it's been suspended.
    Would that mean free movement in the UK was suspended if roadblocks were put up to catch an escaped criminal?
    Here's a professor of EU law calling it "a de facto suspension of Schengen", which is very close to my "effectively" -as in "indirectly"

"The way Europeans and residents of the EU live their lives is now at risk, and their governments and leaders are to blame

Great story on the de facto suspension of #schengen and imminent crumbling by ⁦
    @GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

https://x.com/alemannoEU/status/1842877857132957770

For this second meaning of "effectively" see here:

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb
    1 in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.
    "make sure that resources are used effectively"

2 indirectly; actually but not officially or explicitly.
    "they were effectively controlled by the people they were supposed to be investigating"
    Same age as Bowie.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,687
    edited October 12
    He was still moaning about what a bunch of arses Blair and Starmer are a couple of hours ago on Twitter.

Blimey, life is indeed short, nasty and brutish* (*ironically in this case autocorrected to "British")
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 681
    edited October 12
    kinabalu said:

SandraMc said:

Yes.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,393
    Enjoying the BBC's use of "took ill" rather than "became ill".
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,284
    69 isn't particularly young, is it?
  • dixiedean said:

In Scots years its actually 83.
    dixiedean said:

Any death under 75 is considered early now, I would think. Progress.
    dixiedean said:

It's not so young we'd be stunned but it's not so old as to be expected.
    edited October 12
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

Here's a professor of EU law calling it "a de facto suspension of Schengen", which is very close to my "effectively" -as in "indirectly"

"The way Europeans and residents of the EU live their lives is now at risk, and their governments and leaders are to blame

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

"they were effectively controlled by the people they were supposed to be investigating"
    Hmm. Good job the Ireland-UK border is not affected by Schengen. That would have been interesting.

And when Orban is in the Chair.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,767

An important politician, brought low by his own party.

Be interesting to see what comes out now.

I think it's fair to say he helped 'his own party' in bringing himself low...

But undoubtedly an extraordinary political talent.

@malcolmg will be sad.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,011
    kinabalu said:

SandraMc said:

Depends if you consider yourself a news service...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,452
    Sorry to hear Salmond has died. Saw him in the Commons once holding court and despite the accusations and case against him of which he was acquitted and the fact I disagreed with him on most issues he was a towering figure in not only Scottish but also UK politics.

The first SNP First Minister and who got Yes to 45% in the 2014 referendum which only happened due to the SNP majority he won in 2011.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,282
    edited October 12
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

What is suggests to me is that Germany has watered down Schengen. I can see why the professor is annoyed - it looks a bit slippery slopeish and not done. But a de facto suspension sounds like hyperbole to me.

The big thing with Schengen is the ability just to walk, cycle or drive over the border with nothing but a “welcome to country x” sign. I love it - one of the joys of European travel. Especially wonderful on the high Alpine passes, or on the Riviera where one second you’re in France, then it’s Monaco then mamma Mia you’re in Italy.

Switzerland, while a member, does rather spoil the effect by having erected lots of customs infrastructure and waving you over into a lane for inspection if they think you’re carrying contraband, or haven’t got your motorway tag for the year.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,810
    Hopefully Nicola Sturgeon wasn't on camera when she heard the news.

kinabalu said:

SandraMc said:

News doesn't require being first, though they'd prefer it if they can.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,731
    RIP one of The Big Beasts of U.K. politics

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

69 is bloody young. And for all his excess weight and love of a drink Salmond wasn’t exactly a wheezing geriatric struggling to make it to the shops, or a wobbling obesity stat. He was energetic, fully comps mentis, the sort who would bound along the corridors at high speed. I heard him on any questions recently - very much prime of life.

Events like these make you face your own mortality just that little bit more seriously.

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,687
    kinabalu said:

Same age as Bowie.

And as far as I am concerned (Rebel, Rebel excepted) a better singer and songwriter.

Once the dust settles I can explain what I really thought of the jury's verdict in his trial. #onlyinscotland
    TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

What is suggests to me is that Germany has watered down Schengen. I can see why the professor is annoyed - it looks a bit slippery slopeish and not done. But a de facto suspension sounds like hyperbole to me.

The big thing with Schengen is the ability just to walk, cycle or drive over the border with nothing but a “welcome to country x” sign. I love it - one of the joys of European travel. Especially wonderful on the high Alpine passes, or on the Riviera where one second you’re in France, then it’s Monaco then mamma Mia you’re in Italy.

Switzerland, while a member, does rather spoil the effect by having erected lots of customs infrastructure and waving you over into a lane for inspection if they think you’re carrying contraband, or haven’t got your motorway tag for the year.
    I like Schengen too, I love the freedom you describe

But in effect Schengen has been suspended, in purely legal terms. Absolute Free Movement is no more, on several frontiers

I hope new technology will mean an end to all international borders: it should do so, and it will be cool as fuck

Secutity will be done by robots, drones and cameras and the like, operating out of sight but much more effectively than any border guards or customs posts
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,253
    TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

Yes - it feels more like an evolution of schengen rather than its destruction. The reintroduction of border controls has been going on since pre covid years.
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

69 is bloody young. And for all his excess weight and love of a drink Salmond wasn’t exactly a wheezing geriatric struggling to make it to the shops, or a wobbling obesity stat. He was energetic, fully comps mentis, the sort who would bound along the corridors at high speed. I heard him on any questions recently - very much prime of life.

Events like these make you face your own mortality just that little bit more seriously.

Buy a smartwatch

kinabalu said:

SandraMc said:

Well ok. But I can't see the mad rush.
    MattW said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

Hmm. Good job the Ireland-UK border is not affected by Schengen. That would have been interesting.

Britain should have joined Schengen. It would have made Brexit so much easier. I would still have spare pages in my passport for a start.

You can be in Schengen without having free movement, a customs union or single market membership (much though I’d prefer all 3). And you don’t have to be in the EU. It doesn’t stop you catching and deporting illegal immigrants, checking vehicles for drugs or firearms or enforcing visa restrictions. But it does mean you could just rock up to St Pancras and hop on the train like you do the Thalys from Paris to Brussels.
    Leon said:

I met him just once, in a Biz Class Lounge at Heathrow T3, where he was - fittingly - knocking back the free champagne with great satisfaction

He was a champagne nationalist?
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

But in effect Schengen has been suspended, in purely legal terms. Absolute Free Movement is no more, on several frontiers

I hope new technology will mean an end to all international borders: it should do so, and it will be cool as fuck

Secutity will be done by robots, drones and cameras and the like, operating out of sight but much more effectively than any border guards or customs posts
    I expect the technology already exists to do exactly that, but bureaucratic inertia will leave us waiting several decades, unless there’s another reason (ie counterterrorist surveillance) why it becomes a priority.

Sturgeon was the Theresa May to Salmond's Scottish Boris
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,086
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Having an energetic and boisterous personality does not make up for the physical limitations that your organs can endure. People need to stop kidding themselves.

(We don't know how or why Salmond died)
    edited October 12
    I don't think Corbynites are warming to Starmer. Watching the news with a Corbynite relative and at the P&O story they said Starmer needs shooting (something they are fond of saying about Tories) and his dad should have worn a condom.

Also someone should drop a bomb on Israel. This may be a long weekend for me.
    HYUFD said:

Sturgeon was the Theresa May to Salmond's Scottish Boris
    Sturgeon is increasingly diminished as time goes by, Salmond seems ever more impressive - how close he came to winning in 2014
    Black voters drifting to Trump reports NY Times.

Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,668
    Shockingly sudden. Salmond could be said to a politician who ultimately fell victim to his own successes.

Turned Scottish independence from something slightly odd old men in draughty halls romanticised to a genuine possibility. Then had to honour a promise to resign when lost a referendum that was arguably only possible and close due to him (with a little help from Mel Gibson).

Realised the possibilities of pitching the SNP as a 'progressive' alternative to Labour - but then ultimately became persona non-grata for not being 'progressive' enough.

And of course though genial, could be politically brutal, and passed that on to a protege who then was fairly brutal in ostracising him when he was deemed a liability.

RIP.
    kle4 said:

I don't think Corbynites are warming to Starmer. Watching the news with a Corbynite relative and at the P&O story they said Starmer needs shooting (something they are fond of saying about Tories) and his dad should have worn a condom.

I would have thought Corbynites would hate P&O and what it did to workers.

I can't keep up with the looney left.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

I expect the technology already exists to do exactly that, but bureaucratic inertia will leave us waiting several decades, unless there’s another reason (ie counterterrorist surveillance) why it becomes a priority.
    It would require the guts to face up to the actual situation with regards to immigration and employment.

kle4 said:

They do hate P&O, they don't like Starmer cosying up to them.
    Nigelb said:

RIP indeed.
    The closest Scottish politics has come to producing a political giant. And heaven knows England hasn't had any in recent years.

Brown? Love or loathe him he's a huge figure.
    I see that the Youtuber Anna from Ukraine is now giving geography lessons about Russia, based on which part has just been blown up !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEXqsWZy0m0
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In related news, they are back on board with the £1bn investment.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,773
    Putting my tinfoil hat on, I hope Salmond gets a thorough autopsy considering where he died.

Though why the Russians would want him dead is another matter...

kle4 said:

I don't think this is evidence of lefty lunacy

Starmer is, simply, intensely easy to dislike. He has that kind of personality. Zero charm or humour, an excess of self regard, vanity, and entitlement, and he hates being criticised. He can barely handle it. This will doom him

I read this about him from Rosie Duffield in the Telegraph, and thought Yep

"Although, over the years, Starmer often claimed to be having conversations with her, this was simply not the case. She finally begged for a meeting just before the election. In the end she got 20 minutes with him. “It was utterly pointless,” she says. “He just looks like he does on television, utterly bewildered by being challenged, and affronted as well. He is astonished that anyone dares to question him. Friends in the legal profession will say to me, that’s his barrister head, because if you question a barrister, they believe you’re questioning their knowledge of the law and their absolute expertise on their subject. I was questioning him about the two-child benefit cap, and how it looked, and he just seemed baffled.

“He is a politician who has no political talent.""

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/08/rosie-duffield-interview-labour-sue-gray-women-misogyny/

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    18m
    Shocking news. Always thought he was one of toughest politicians to interview: smart, combative, ready to pounce if you made a misstep. And he turned the SNP into force it became. But very good company off camera
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,607
    Undeniably a canny politician and much smarter than most we see nowadays. Becoming an SNP First minister and getting 45% in the independence referendum were historic achievements. The latter might not seem like it until you remember that historic polling would not have predicted they would get near that. The casual attitude of unionists to the result and subsequent events remains disappointing.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Starmer is, simply, intensely easy to dislike. He has that kind of personality. Zero charm or humour, an excess of self regard, vanity, and entitlement, and he hates being criticised. He can barely handle it. This will doom him

"Although, over the years, Starmer often claimed to be having conversations with her, this was simply not the case. She finally begged for a meeting just before the election. In the end she got 20 minutes with him. “It was utterly pointless,” she says. “He just looks like he does on television, utterly bewildered by being challenged, and affronted as well. He is astonished that anyone dares to question him. Friends in the legal profession will say to me, that’s his barrister head, because if you question a barrister, they believe you’re questioning their knowledge of the law and their absolute expertise on their subject. I was questioning him about the two-child benefit cap, and how it looked, and he just seemed baffled.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/08/rosie-duffield-interview-labour-sue-gray-women-misogyny/
    Yet somehow he won the lab leadership, turned the party around and won a landslide.

Putting my tinfoil hat on, I hope Salmond gets a thorough autopsy considering where he died.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Lot of Russian "activism" in Balkans.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,748
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Irony being that the government is planning to do something about Fire and Rehire;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-unveils-most-significant-reforms-to-employment-rights

Which is the bit that the Corbynites and their mirror images on the right refuse to hear.

The first job of a politician is to win power. Otherwise, you're just a gob on a stick.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Thinking he should be shot is evidence of lefty lunacy. I doubt even most of them go that far!

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Yet somehow he won the lab leadership, turned the party around and won a landslide.
    He got extremely lucky: he was the last man standing with Corbyn, the Tories imploded, Covid and Ukraine speeded them on, and so on

What Starmer is good at is being a stroppy opposition player, he is competitive, and he was needling and persistent in the Commons. He probably accelerated the Tories' demise, to a modest extent

But the landslide is built on sand. 33.7% on a 60% turnout. Against one of the most unpopular governments in many decades. That shows how poor he is, in reality, and he's not going to get better
    MJW said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In related news, they are back on board with the £1bn investment.
    So the Government has totally failed to collapse AGAIN?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you :smile: !
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,995

This gets wheeled out at by the US media at every election then come the day the margins are similar . The NY Times might have endorsed Harris but they often sanewash what Trumps been upto .

White people are still the enemy:

https://x.com/billkristol/status/1844734512195928153

"If Trump wins on November 5, it will be because of his support from a majority of white America. As a white American, and a white American man to boot, I’ve got to say, in the immortal words of Pogo: We have met the enemy and he is us."

78% of Blacks still voting for Harris but less than the 90% who voted for Biden in 2020.

She needs to make use of the Obamas heavily in the final few weeks as Obama won 95% of the Black vote in 2008 and 93% of the Black vote in 2012. At the moment the only gains Harris has made relative to Biden in 2020 is amongst white college graduates. Yet while that will benefit her in a few swing states like North Carolina and Pennsylvania with lots of graduates it is not enough for her to win overall without Black voters turning out for her, especially as Trump has a big lead with white working class voters and has made inroads with Latinos
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/12/us/politics/poll-black-voters-harris-trump.html
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,459

He was a big bloke. That's probably the likeliest explanation. I never disliked him in the way that some did. I find it very sad that he died a long way from home and probably pretty much alone.

• HYUFD said:

78% of Blacks still voting for Harris but less than the 90% who voted for Biden in 2020.

She needs to make use of the Obamas heavily in the final few weeks as Obama won 95% of the Black vote in 2008 and 93% of the Black vote in 2012. At the moment the only gains Harris has made relative to Biden in 2020 is amongst white college graduates. Yet while that will benefit her in a few swing states like North Carolina and Pennsylvania with lots of graduates it is not enough for her to win overall without Black voters turning out for her, especially as Trump has a big lead with white working class voters and has made inroads with Latinos
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/12/us/politics/poll-black-voters-harris-trump.html
    That really weird (racist) grammar that capitalises Black but deliberately lower cases white. It's a style guide used throughout much of media.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

He got extremely lucky: he was the last man standing with Corbyn, the Tories imploded, Covid and Ukraine speeded them on, and so on

What Starmer is good at is being a stroppy opposition player, he is competitive, and he was needling and persistent in the Commons. He probably accelerated the Tories' demise, to a modest extent

But the landslide is built on sand. 33.7% on a 60% turnout. Against one of the most unpopular governments in many decades. That shows how poor he is, in reality, and he's not going to get better
    Indeed, there have been 5 A+ politicians in UK politics this century, Tony Blair, David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and yes also Alex Salmond. Starmer is not one of them, nor are Jenrick or Badenoch
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,078

dixiedean said:

Arsehole
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,607

This is the problem. The immediate reaction is to patronise not seek to understand. Frank Luntz has said again and again that Trump's appeal is due to immigration and inflation.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,346
    MJW said:

Nigelb said:

RIP indeed.
    The closest Scottish politics has come to producing a political giant. And heaven knows England hasn't had any in recent years.

Brown? Love or loathe him he's a huge figure.
    I'm unconvinced.

This is the problem. The immediate reaction is to patronise not seek to understand. Frank Luntz has said again and again that Trump's appeal is due to immigration and inflation.
    And Harris has been trying to hit hard on immigration. I think they do get the issue.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,995
    Not sure if it’s been posted yet but two new polls out from NY Times/Siena .

Good news for Harris and Trump .

Harris leads 50 to 47 in Pennsylvania

Trump leads 51 to 46 in Arizona
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,192
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Indeed, there have been 5 A+ politicians in UK politics this century, Tony Blair, David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and yes also Alex Salmond. Starmer is not one of them, nor are Jenrick or Badenoch
    Boris is not an “A+ politician”.
    While one cannot deny his charisma, he really barely rates on any ordinary political dimension. Though oftent touted for his campaigning, he doesn’t actually even do that. He’s essentially a television personality.

Your list omits Brown, Sturgeon, and perhaps Drake, perhaps Gove, perhaps Osborn.

He was a big bloke. That's probably the likeliest explanation. I never disliked him in the way that some did. I find it very sad that he died a long way from home and probably pretty much alone.

Hmm. 69 is far too young, of course, but if you gotta go a speedy heart attack is one of the best possible ways (if that is indeed what happened)

For me the sadness, if there is any, is that he didn't have kids. "Dying without issue" always strikes me as a terribly melancholy phrase

There could of course be any number of reasons for that, and he may never have wanted kids, so this is an entirely personal, subjective take
    edited October 12

Certainly not the Russians even if there was anything suspicious, he was a regular presenter on Russia Today
    malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

Arsehole
    A triple of the cask strength turnip juice…

Nothing in the man I would have voted for. Easy to see why many differed with me on that.
    TimS said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

Britain should have joined Schengen. It would have made Brexit so much easier. I would still have spare pages in my passport for a start.

You can be in Schengen without having free movement, a customs union or single market membership (much though I’d prefer all 3). And you don’t have to be in the EU. It doesn’t stop you catching and deporting illegal immigrants, checking vehicles for drugs or firearms or enforcing visa restrictions. But it does mean you could just rock up to St Pancras and hop on the train like you do the Thalys from Paris to Brussels.
    How would they count our three months? Or, are you suggested they'd let us have unlimited time - and live fully in another country - so long as we didn't work or claim benefits? Not sure that's allowed.

Is there a Schengen state without FoM?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,078

kinabalu said:

Same age as Bowie.

And as far as I am concerned (Rebel, Rebel excepted) a better singer and songwriter.

Once the dust settles I can explain what I really thought of the jury's verdict in his trial. #onlyinscotland
    The shits will be hoping that this ends his court case and saved their sorry arses.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,063
    darkage said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

Yes - it feels more like an evolution of schengen rather than its destruction. The reintroduction of border controls has been going on since pre covid years.
    Yes there have been so-called reintroductions of border controls between loads of Schengen countries going on for decades already. Leon only heard about it the other day so think it's something world-shatteringly new, and he also confuses Schengen repeatedly with Freedom of Movement, which is an entirely different thing.

I'm not patronising. I am simply bewildered.

He is an out and out white nationalist who is now openly ranting night after night about deporting huge numbers of non-white people out of the country as soon as elected.

That should override any thoughts about inflation.

No one cares about inflation when they are being manhandled onto a bus headed to the detainment camps.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

While one cannot deny his charisma, he really barely rates on any ordinary political dimension. Though oftent touted for his campaigning, he doesn’t actually even do that. He’s essentially a television personality.

Your list omits Brown, Sturgeon, and perhaps Drake, perhaps Gove, perhaps Osborn.
    Would we now have a Labour government committed to being outside the single market without Boris Johnson? He sits alongside Thatcher and Blair as someone who changed the opposition party.
    edited October 12

69 is a shockingly young age to die these days.

(Northern_Al, age 68).

For most, though Princess Di, Ayrton Senna, Charles Kennedy, John Smith, Rob Burrow and JFK and Elvis to name just a few celebs died younger
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,459

On the other hand, Trump is now regularly using fascist language and threatening to lock up and kill US citizens who he does not like. At some point, surely, we need to give people the agency to know that they are voting for a racist who does not believe in the rule of law and to not care.

kamski said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

@GuyChazan
    ⁩ ⁦
    ⁩ ⁦
    @FT"

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/
    adverb

Yes there have been so-called reintroductions of border controls between loads of Schengen countries going on for decades already. Leon only heard about it the other day so think it's something world-shatteringly new, and he also confuses Schengen repeatedly with Freedom of Movement, which is an entirely different thing.

Not an entirely different thing at all. One is nested within the other, and underlines the other, as the EU Commission official website succinctly says:

"Free movement of persons enables every EU citizen to travel, work and live in an EU country without special formalities. Schengen underpins this freedom by enabling citizens to move around the Schengen Area without being subject to border checks."

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/schengen-area_en#:~:text=Free movement of persons enables,being subject to border checks.

On the other hand, Trump is now regularly using fascist language and threatening to lock up and kill US citizens who he does not like. At some point, surely, we need to give people the agency to know that they are voting for a racist who does not believe in the rule of law and to not care.

Exactly.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,346
    You've got to laugh.

Eton among elite private schools set to cash in on windfall from new VAT rules
    VAT-registered schools will be able to claim refunds for tax paid on capital projects over past 10 years
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/oct/12/eton-among-elite-private-schools-set-to-cash-in-on-windfall-from-new-vat-rules
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,891

FPT:

RIP Ales Salmond.

I did not agree with some of his politics, but he fought tenaciously for his views. His successors are/were non-entities in comparison.

(If anyone can get in quick, Wiki's still not been updated...)

Just seen. Yes, well said. RIP. Too young to die. A titan of politics and the Scottish independence movement, whatever you think of his views.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Boris is an A+ politician, he delivered Brexit and won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher.

Brown and Gove are B- politicians, even Osborne and Sturgeon only A-

I'm not patronising. I am simply bewildered.

He is an out and out white nationalist who is now openly ranting night after night about deporting huge numbers of non-white people out of the country as soon as elected.

That should override any thoughts about inflation.

No one cares about inflation when they are being manhandled onto a bus headed to the detainment camps.
    Black Americans are among the biggest losers from recent mass immigration.

https://apnews.com/article/chicago-migrants-black-latino-biden-immigration-ab8d7f22eea423d86fb350665b9e66f6

The closure of Wadsworth Elementary School in 2013 was a blow to residents of the majority-Black neighborhood it served, symbolizing a city indifferent to their interests.

So when the city reopened Wadsworth last year to shelter hundreds of migrants without seeking community input, it added insult to injury. Across Chicago, Black residents are frustrated that long-standing needs are not being met while the city’s newly arrived are cared for with a sense of urgency, and with their tax dollars.

“Our voices are not valued nor heard,” says Genesis Young, a lifelong Chicagoan who lives near Wadsworth.

Chicago is one of several big American cities grappling with a surge of migrants. The Republican governor of Texas has been sending them by the busload to highlight his grievances with the Biden administration’s immigration policy.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,699

Undeniably a canny politician and much smarter than most we see nowadays. Becoming an SNP First minister and getting 45% in the independence referendum were historic achievements. The latter might not seem like it until you remember that historic polling would not have predicted they would get near that. The casual attitude of unionists to the result and subsequent events remains disappointing.

Salmond was like Stage One of the independence rocket. He blasted them up out of the UKs atmosphere (or so it seemed). A massive achievement. Problem was Stage Two failed to ignite (la Sturgeon) and they drifted back down to earth. They splashed down with Humza and Swinney is busy in the lifeboat.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,891
    Leon said:

I remember Jacob Rees-Mogg describing him as “an extraordinarily able man” - despite disagreeing with him on almost everything.

RIP.

HYUFD said:

That really weird (racist) grammar that capitalises Black but deliberately lower cases white. It's a style guide used throughout much of media.
    As a result of a collision in my hash tables, I always hear “Black” in this context as “Blik”, pronounced by the late Joss Ackland.
    edited October 12
    Leon said:

Hmm. 69 is far too young, of course, but if you gotta go a speedy heart attack is one of the best possible ways (if that is indeed what happened)

For me the sadness, if there is any, is that he didn't have kids. "Dying without issue" always strikes me as a terribly melancholy phrase

There could of course be any number of reasons for that, and he may never have wanted kids, so this is an entirely personal, subjective take
    He married a much older woman than him (who ironically survives him) so it was likely never on the cards even then. It didn't seem to bother him too much, every Pope of course dies without issue