Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study of the Scottish IndyRef finds that the turnout le

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Why not keep it at 18 for everyone but allow it at a younger age for those who have 5 GCSEs at C or better?

Or weight vote by IQ ?
    No
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Isam: Tower Hamlets UKIP were due to select their candidates for both Poplar & Limehouse and Bethnal Green & Bow a few days ago, but I can't find any information online. Do you know who was selected for the constituencies?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Why not keep it at 18 for everyone but allow it at a younger age for those who have 5 GCSEs at C or better?

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Perhaps have votes proportional to how much tax you paid in the previous year?

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

Tricky, Mr. Isam, once you go down that road then one would face the idea that adults might need to have some basic education before they can vote.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Or how many years you have lived in the country ?

• Options
    Socrates said:

Bobajob_ said:

The furious opposition to votes at 16 among many on here is one of the most baffling themes ever on PB.

It's almost like some of them considered the choosing of the next government an important and serious matter! Silly fools! Everyone knows that it's just some flippant thing and the vote should be handed out to foreigners and kids to do. Stuff like the secret ballot doesn't matter - we should just allow people to add it to the end of their X factor voting texts!

It's up to Scots who votes in Scottish elections. Is there any evidence that 16 year olds voted flippantly in September or without engaging in the debate? Before 1969 you had to be 21 to vote. Times change.

• Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Or perhaps let everyone aged 16 and over vote.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Good lord no - If the voting age is to be introduced for 16 year olds, then it must apply to all 16 year olds equally, irrespective of an arbitrary criteria such as the number of GCSE gained. – that was is just a slippery slope for all sorts of 'future' nonsense imho.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Socrates said:

Bobajob_ said:

The furious opposition to votes at 16 among many on here is one of the most baffling themes ever on PB.

It's almost like some of them considered the choosing of the next government an important and serious matter! Silly fools! Everyone knows that it's just some flippant thing and the vote should be handed out to foreigners and kids to do. Stuff like the secret ballot doesn't matter - we should just allow people to add it to the end of their X factor voting texts!
    Suffice to say my 16 year old daughter took voting in the referendum very seriously and did lots of her own research before deciding how to vote. I've just let my her have a look through the thread, she just wanted to let you guy's know that she is deeply offended by some of the ridiculous comments coming from supposed "grown adults".

I think the inclusion of 16/17 year olds in the referendum was a successful experiment in improving our democracy. My daughter and many of her friends having shown no previous interest in politics, are now very engaged and I expect will do so for the rest of their lives. She had been thinking about joining the SNP - I think this might help her make up her mind !!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379
    MikeK said:

Bobajob_ said:

It's all perspective @Bobajob. When I was 16 I thought I knew everything and how I wanted the vote. It turns out that I knew nothing worth knowing and with respect that would be the position todays 16 year olds would find themselves in.
    But perhaps your 16-year-old self was right and your present self is mistaken? How do you know?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Isam: Tower Hamlets UKIP were due to select their candidates for both Poplar & Limehouse and Bethnal Green & Bow a few days ago, but I can't find any information online. Do you know who was selected for the constituencies?

I will try and find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one put their hand up... I know I didn't consider either for a moment, and they are two of the closest available to me
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

But why 16, Mr. Observer? Surely you are just shifting an arbitrary cut off. So what makes 16 the right age? Why not something younger?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,099
    edited December 2014

Danny565 said:

Bobajob_ said:

Danny - sadly those figures are no doubt born of pure ignorance. Most of the public have no grasp of what deficit means, thinking it in fact means national debt.

I wouldn't say ignorance so much as disinterest. It's never seemed very obvious to the "man on the street" why they should care about what some balance sheets say.

I still think the only reason people ever even grudgingly accepted the need for austerity was not because of the level of the UK's deficit itself, it was because it coincided with the Euro debt crisis -- that gave what looked like a very vivid example of the consequences of what could happen to us if we didn't "do something". But since the news has long since stopped being full of news about the markets turning on countries with high deficits, it's no longer clear why there's a need to cut spending no matter how high the deficit remains on paper.
    Mr. 565, you repeatedly post on this same subject and are repeatedly told that in this vale of tears nobody will lend money without getting something back in return - it is called interest. The more one borrows the more one has to pay in interest. As Mr. Ghost has pointed out the UK is currently paying £40bn a year just in interest payments, and that will over the next few years increase to more than £60 billion a year even at best estimates.

Now, please, before you again post that it would be a good idea for HMG to borrow even more than it does already, please, please explain what you think the long term effects of such borrowing will be.
    Mr Llama, reading you post made me wonder how Moslem countries, who are forbidden to pay or charge interest manage on global markets. I realise that Saudi Arabia probably doesn't have a problem, but not all Moslem countries have that amount of natural resources

How, by the way, is your neighbour doing?
  • Options
    It's happened. Brent Crude has gone below $60:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

I will try and find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one put their hand up... I know I didn't consider either for a moment, and they are two of the closest available to me
    Because of the threat of intimidation from certain quarters in the borough?
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    TGOHF

As I understand it there are no such proposals on the table to let 15 yrs and 364 day olds vote. Reminds me of the bullshit when gay marriage was proposed: "what about letting dogs marry?"

Well I could or could not be in favour of canine weddings, but as no party with any chance of power had proposed the measure it would have been impolite to filibuster the thread by raising it.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Predictable breaking news from the Hon Member for Falkishalk. Hic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30506509
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Bobajob_ said:

Danny - sadly those figures are no doubt born of pure ignorance. Most of the public have no grasp of what deficit means, thinking it in fact means national debt.

I wouldn't say ignorance so much as disinterest. It's never seemed very obvious to the "man on the street" why they should care about what some balance sheets say.

I still think the only reason people ever even grudgingly accepted the need for austerity was not because of the level of the UK's deficit itself, it was because it coincided with the Euro debt crisis -- that gave what looked like a very vivid example of the consequences of what could happen to us if we didn't "do something". But since the news has long since stopped being full of news about the markets turning on countries with high deficits, it's no longer clear why there's a need to cut spending no matter how high the deficit remains on paper.
    Mr. 565, you repeatedly post on this same subject and are repeatedly told that in this vale of tears nobody will lend money without getting something back in return - it is called interest. The more one borrows the more one has to pay in interest. As Mr. Ghost has pointed out the UK is currently paying £40bn a year just in interest payments, and that will over the next few years increase to more than £60 billion a year even at best estimates.

Now, please, before you again post that it would be a good idea for HMG to borrow even more than it does already, please, please explain what you think the long term effects of such borrowing will be.
    Mr Llama, reading you post made me wonder how Moslem countries, who are forbidden to pay or charge interest manage on global markets. I realise that Saudi Arabia probably doesn't have a problem, but not all Moslem countries have that amount of natural resources

I think the attitude of Muslim Governments and some Muslims to interest depends on circumstance. Rather similar to their attitude to booze and lots of other "forbidden" things (try flying first class from Saudi to London).

My neighbour is still very poorly and not likely to get any better but thanks for the info you sent yesterday, I have passed it on.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

The guy needs some serious help.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

But why 16, Mr. Observer? Surely you are just shifting an arbitrary cut off. So what makes 16 the right age? Why not something younger?

Indeed. But 16 is the age that was decided upon. And there is no evidence, as far as I know, that shows those who exercised their new found right did so with anything other than full attention. Maybe it will go lower at some point.

• Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Indeed. But 16 is the age that was decided upon. And there is no evidence, as far as I know, that shows those who exercised their new found right did so with anything other than full attention. Maybe it will go lower at some point.

There is no evidence that 14 year olds would be any less diligent. Or 12 year olds or 8 years olds or babes in arms. So why do you think that 16 years is the right cut-off?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,052
    JohnO said:

Have another look at it. No evidence of alcohol yet. at least in that.

• Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

There is no evidence that 14 year olds would be any less diligent. Or 12 year olds or 8 years olds or babes in arms. So why do you think that 16 years is the right cut-off?
    It is the age of consent, Mr Llama?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Neil said:

Danny565 said:

it's no longer clear why there's a need to cut spending no matter how high the deficit remains on paper.

If you are still having difficulty with the concept consider the cuts that would have to be imposed once noone is prepared to lend you any more money to pay for benefits or public services.
    Except "the bond markets" can't lend us money quickly enough even now when we still have a deficit.
    Wonga are also very keen to lend people money.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,099

Danny565 said:

Bobajob_ said:

I think the attitude of Muslim Governments and some Muslims to interest depends on circumstance. Rather similar to their attitude to booze and lots of other "forbidden" things (try flying first class from Saudi to London).

My neighbour is still very poorly and not likely to get any better but thanks for the info you sent yesterday, I have passed it on.
    It's not only first class, Mr Llama. What did for me, on a Gulf Airline was the icon, in the thing which tells you where you are etc, in front of our seat which always pointed to Mecca. Went berserk, spinning round and round, when we came into land at Hong Kong!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

It is incumbent on the people who are advocating lowering the voting age to make the case for it. Not to say "we've decided to do it lower and it's everyone else that has to justify keeping it at the same age".
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624

Danny565 said:

Bobajob_ said:

I don't get this thing Dan has with not paying the money back - I think he wants us to default, which itself isn't wholly beyond the realms of possibility, but would entail no more borrowing for the UK, so a permanent end to credit card socialism, which I don't think he does want.

• Options
    Well Hurst there is certainly evidence that babes in arms are less diligent than 16-year-olds as, with the exception of that 1-year-old who featured on the front page of the Sunday Sport after completing the Observer crossword, they cannot read.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Consent for sex but not for marriage without the parents permission. As with all the other examples, the law effectively says that at 16 there are things you can do that we can't really do much about even if we wanted to but most things that require state approval and involve a larger degree of responsibility are prevented until you are 18. Marriage with parents permission, fighting for your country, driving, buying firearms, alcohol or cigarettes and of course voting - all have a minimum age of 18.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

isam said:

Good lord no - If the voting age is to be introduced for 16 year olds, then it must apply to all 16 year olds equally, irrespective of an arbitrary criteria such as the number of GCSE gained. – that was is just a slippery slope for all sorts of 'future' nonsense imho.
    Some of the inane arguments raised on here against lowering the voting age to 16 on this and previous threads show a strong and valid case for removing voting rights from those who made them .
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624

isam said:

Some of the inane arguments raised on here against lowering the voting age to 16 on this and previous threads show a strong and valid case for removing voting rights from those who made them .
    It would appear that broadly speaking it's the left wingers here in favour, primarily as a way of swelling their flagging numbers of voting fodder with the fresh hordes of teenage socialists who've never paid a bill.
  • Options

isam said:

It would appear that broadly speaking it's the left wingers here in favour, primarily as a way of swelling their flagging numbers of voting fodder with the fresh hordes of teenage socialists who've never paid a bill.
    Ms Fitalass would not be pleased to be described as a leftie! Her comments did impress me, as did Mr Calum's. I had been agnostic or mildly positive but am now duly converted.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

isam said:

And as with all the major reforms throughout the 20th and 21st century it is right wingers opposed to any reform whatsoever .
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

Plus a large number of potential Labour voters are 16 year olds at schools that will will teach them who to vote for and whose fathers already help their mothers "decide" how to vote in some parts of the country #110%turnout
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

Ms Fitalass would not be pleased to be described as a leftie! Her comments did impress me, as did Mr Calum's. I had been agnostic or mildly positive but am now duly converted.

I also think DavidL would be surprised to be described as such. It seems that the rightwingers who have experience of votes at 16 have changed their view - which might be a salutary lesson about life experience and liberality in general...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
    Why?
  • Options
    What a grim day.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

UKIP are very careful. As you may know the candidate for South Basildon was selected but not announced for quite a few days. It was referred to UKIP HQ for approval first. After all UKIP wanted to make sure that they did not select an absolute crazed loon by mistake.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2014
    Front page of the London Evening Standard tonight

"Gift for shoppers: Prices at new low. Inflation down and fuel down"

How's that cost of Living crisis going Ed?

Ed? ..... Hello Ed? ....... Anyone there?

Ed's a total dud and so is Labour with there sound bites.

• Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Calum, the debate about voting age isn't about your daughter, it's about the general notion of letting all 16-17 year olds vote. There are some 12 year olds who would take voting very seriously. That does not mean the law should be changed for everyone.
  • Options
    F1: 20 of the 60 stolen Red Bull trophies have been found in a lake:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30503589
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm puzzled as to why EVEL can apparently go through parliament toot suite but new powers for Scotland must wait 240,000,000 months before being introduced.
  • Options

isam said:

And as with all the major reforms throughout the 20th and 21st century it is right wingers opposed to any reform whatsoever .
    So that would be why the main Right Wing party had both the first Jewish PM and the first Woman PM?

Your inane and fatuous comments continue unabated I see.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    So we are led to believe that 16 year olds in Scotland are in some obscure way more mature than their peers in the rest of Europe.

Even the dimmest leftie could recognise a greater maturity of thought if they bothered to compare arguments made by GCSE and GCE A2 candidates.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

MikeK said:

Bobajob_ said:

It's all perspective @Bobajob. When I was 16 I thought I knew everything and how I wanted the vote. It turns out that I knew nothing worth knowing and with respect that would be the position todays 16 year olds would find themselves in.
    But perhaps your 16-year-old self was right and your present self is mistaken? How do you know?

Sixth form, university, graduate school, service in HM Forces, fatherhood and 60 years life experience, perhaps?

But if you feel so strongly, Nick, perhaps you should step down in favour of a 16-year-old candidate in Broxtowe?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
    Why?
    Why not.

OK, I can see where this is going so... I had hoped the jaundice in my remark may not have gone unnoticed.
    The starting remark by somebody said, given the lack of evidence why not lower it to 14. The ripost was that this 'was the age of consent' - another arbitrary age. So if that is the criterion then lower that if you want a lower voting age.

I can see that over time a sort of voting age arms race might arise and all parties might end up being pressurised to lower it. I hope it can be resisted and kept to the legal age of maturity, whatever that is set at.

• Options
    I would contend that the only acceptable solution if we are to allow voting at 16 would be to also reduce the age of responsibility for all other acts both public and private. So that list I mentioned earlier should also be adjusted to 16 years of age. Buying cigarettes, alcohol and firearms, driving, marrying without parental consent, leaving education (which is just being raised to 18) and fighting for ones country should all be reduced to 16 as well by the same logic being applied here.

After all we are apparently claiming that young people are responsible enough to exercise one of the most important functions in society so why should we consider them too immature to have all the other responsibilities as well?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I see Jeb Bush is to "explore White House bid". Probably old news to regulars here.

He is 4.4-5.5 for the nomination with Betfair and 4.5 with Betfair Sportsbook

He is 7.6-8.6 for next POTUS with Betfair and 9.0 with Ladbrokes.

Anyone on him or think he's value at current prices?
  • Options
    It is quite funny to watch the Labour Party, which if nothing else believes in equality above all else, and shouts it from the rooftops, turning intellectual contortions to try and prevent equality of legislative powers between constituent countries in the UK because it would disadvantage their party.
  • Options
    Local plodsters in Avon and Somerset are trying to run a name and shame policy, so are we to believe that all those charged with drink driving are automatically guilty?
  • Options
    Judging by the replies to this tweet, it seems OGH has perfected his recipe for political catnip

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    15h 15 hours ago
    Since Osborne's Autumn statement all the pollsters bar YouGov have had LAB leads

• Options
    Mr. Isam, it's a cleverly worded tweet.
  • Options

isam said:

So that would be why the main Right Wing party had both the first Jewish PM and the first Woman PM?

Your inane and fatuous comments continue unabated I see.
    Mr D wasn't Jewish by religion, was he? Though I don't know whether Mr Gladstone, as a young man, clove to the Presbyterian rigour of his forebears.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Kerry Smith probably comes from a rougher part of Essex than I do, but I can imagine he is telling the truth here, and speaking for many people who others like to look down upon

("Mr Kerry?!")

"Speaking to The Telegraph Mr Kerry said: "I have every faith in Nigel [Farage, the Ukip leader] to resolve this. I think Nigel will make sure that the right person is put in Basildon and Thurrock for the right reasons. I'm working class, I am not politically correct and the language I used you would probably find on Del Boy.

"Let's be perfectly straight and honest about this, I am not politically correct. I am a bit rough around the edges, I am not going to deny that, I come from a council estate.

"It was never meant to offend. Where I grew up if you use PC words you got bashed." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11297144/Former-Ukip-candidate-My-rant-was-no-worse-than-you-would-hear-from-Del-Boy.html
  • Options
    Interesting stuff - especially the chart

http://may2015.com/ideas/is-ukip-hurting-labour/
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
    Why?
    Why not.

OK, I can see where this is going so... I had hoped the jaundice in my remark may not have gone unnoticed.
    The starting remark by somebody said, given the lack of evidence why not lower it to 14. The ripost was that this 'was the age of consent' - another arbitrary age. So if that is the criterion then lower that if you want a lower voting age.

I can see that over time a sort of voting age arms race might arise and all parties might end up being pressurised to lower it. I hope it can be resisted and kept to the legal age of maturity, whatever that is set at.

But 16 is the current age of consent. I do NOT think this should be lowered.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Calum, the debate about voting age isn't about your daughter, it's about the general notion of letting all 16-17 year olds vote. There are some 12 year olds who would take voting very seriously. That does not mean the law should be changed for everyone.

I think most parents of 16/17 year olds (my wife and I included) were at first sceptical about extending the vote to this group. However, my view altered once I saw my daughter and her friends start to really engage in the process. What would be interesting to monitor is whether this group of voters are more (or less) likely to vote in the future, than those 16/17 year olds in the rest of the UK who did not have this opportunity.
  • Options
    isam said:

Kerry Smith probably comes from a rougher part of Essex than I do, but I can imagine he is telling the truth here, and speaking for many people who others like to look down upon

("Mr Kerry?!")

"Speaking to The Telegraph Mr Kerry said: "I have every faith in Nigel [Farage, the Ukip leader] to resolve this. I think Nigel will make sure that the right person is put in Basildon and Thurrock for the right reasons. I'm working class, I am not politically correct and the language I used you would probably find on Del Boy.

"Let's be perfectly straight and honest about this, I am not politically correct. I am a bit rough around the edges, I am not going to deny that, I come from a council estate.

"It was never meant to offend. Where I grew up if you use PC words you got bashed." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11297144/Former-Ukip-candidate-My-rant-was-no-worse-than-you-would-hear-from-Del-Boy.html

I don't think I ever heard Delboy using racial slurs.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

("Mr Kerry?!")

Reeaally????
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

DavidL, hardly a left-winger, also came out in support this morning. Does anyone in Scotland of whatever persuasion now believe it was a bad idea?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    edited December 2014

I would contend that the only acceptable solution if we are to allow voting at 16 would be to also reduce the age of responsibility for all other acts both public and private. So that list I mentioned earlier should also be adjusted to 16 years of age. Buying cigarettes, alcohol and firearms, driving, marrying without parental consent, leaving education (which is just being raised to 18) and fighting for ones country should all be reduced to 16 as well by the same logic being applied here.

After all we are apparently claiming that young people are responsible enough to exercise one of the most important functions in society so why should we consider them too immature to have all the other responsibilities as well?

Presumably Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits would also stop on reaching 16.

How on earth can it be consistent to pay Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits for 16 and 17 year-olds if they aren't considered to be children?

The other one to remember is Jury Service - I wonder how many people charged with something they didn't do would want a 16 year-old deciding their fate?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Oh - it seems that Ireland may not be having a referendum on lowering the voting age to 16 next year as the Taoiseach only confirmed referendums on gay marriage and lowering the age for contesting Presidential elections (to be held in May 2015).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/same-sex-marriage-vote-to-be-held-in-may-says-kenny-1.2039936
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

("Mr Kerry?!")

Reeaally????
    "You 42-carat plonker!" :)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

It is incumbent on the people who are advocating lowering the voting age to make the case for it. Not to say "we've decided to do it lower and it's everyone else that has to justify keeping it at the same age".

My case would be that it worked perfectly well in Scotland.

• Options
    stjohn said:

I see Jeb Bush is to "explore White House bid". Probably old news to regulars here.

He is 4.4-5.5 for the nomination with Betfair and 4.5 with Betfair Sportsbook

He is 7.6-8.6 for next POTUS with Betfair and 9.0 with Ladbrokes.

Anyone on him or think he's value at current prices?

Yep, I am on Bush for POTUS. I've posted on PB about this before. Even if he just decides to run the odds will come down and potentially allow some laying off.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Local plodsters in Avon and Somerset are trying to run a name and shame policy, so are we to believe that all those charged with drink driving are automatically guilty?

Presumably if they are found not guilty the local ratepayers may end up forking out for libel damages?
  • Options
    ...and what a fight Jeb versus Hilary will be.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

dr_spyn said:

Presumably if they are found not guilty the local ratepayers may end up forking out for libel damages?
    Are they not named and shamed after conviction?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

I don't think it is the "right cut-off". But after seeing what happened in Scotland I think it is a perfectly acceptable one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    Looks like they may have found life on Mars... same can't be said for the Red Planet!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11297326/Life-on-Mars-Nasa-finds-first-hint-of-alien-life.html
  • Options

Carnyx said:

isam said:

DavidL, hardly a left-winger, also came out in support this morning. Does anyone in Scotland of whatever persuasion now believe it was a bad idea?

The kippers - not the Mallaig kind but the David Coburn variety? They were agin it, IIRC, but I am not sure if they have followed the Tories and changed their minds.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,539
    edited December 2014

...and what a fight Jeb versus Hilary will be.

A Bush or Clinton has run for President or VP at every US Presidential election between 1980 and 2008.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Both The BBC & The Bristol Post report that naming and shaming is going ahead, regardless of guilt or innocence.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Police-Bristol-shame-drink-drivers-Christmas/story-25400682-detail/story.html

Then again this is the Force which leaked stuff re Chris Jefferies.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379

Well, in principle it's easy to imagine that different things need different levels of maturity or experience. About 40 sounds right for firearms. For elections, since your probability of deciding the outcome is small but the impact on your life may be huge, it makes sense to involve you early on.
    Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Bobajob_ said:

Sixth form, university, graduate school, service in HM Forces, fatherhood and 60 years life experience, perhaps?

But if you feel so strongly, Nick, perhaps you should step down in favour of a 16-year-old candidate in Broxtowe?
    No, but I wouldn't object to a 16-year-old opponent on grounds of age. One of the Conservative candidates for the council and a vociferous critic is 17 (he'll be 18 by May, I assume). It's good to see him getting stuck into the debates.

• Options
    calum said:

Good evening, everyone.

I think most parents of 16/17 year olds (my wife and I included) were at first sceptical about extending the vote to this group. However, my view altered once I saw my daughter and her friends start to really engage in the process. What would be interesting to monitor is whether this group of voters are more (or less) likely to vote in the future, than those 16/17 year olds in the rest of the UK who did not have this opportunity.
    Serious question Mr Calum, would you be happy to see your daughter and her friends able to marry without your permission and legally buy cigarettes, alcohol and firearms?
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, that would indeed be worth monitoring.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
    Why?
    Why not.

Which bit of 'jaundice' do you not recognise? Perhaps I should have said 'sarcasm'. I don't think the age of consent should be lowered either. But to limit the voting age because of the age of consent is a pretty pointless criterion.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Nick Clegg is on Leaders Live now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnjdVOOeM-E

Why did you lie on tuition fees etc.
  • Options

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

My case would be that it worked perfectly well in Scotland.

So you're basing the franchise in the entire country on a single referendum? By the way, what would need to have happened in Scotland for you to consider it not working well?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    Universal age of adulthood.

Choose 16 or 18 or whatever, but make it so criminal responsibility, ability to vote, marry, die for your country, etc all happen at the same time.
  • Options

calum said:

Good evening, everyone.

Serious question Mr Calum, would you be happy to see your daughter and her friends able to marry without your permission and legally buy cigarettes, alcohol and firearms?
    Why shouldn't two people above the age of consent be able to marry without their parents' permission?
  • Options
    I've just been reading about Eric Joyce.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Joyce

Suffice to say, I do hope the media will apply the same standards to Labour candidate selection as they have to UKIP.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

calum said:

Good evening, everyone.

Errr, they can already marry without his permission.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Or weight vote by IQ ?

Lower that then.
    Why?
    Why not.

Which bit of 'jaundice' do you not recognise? Perhaps I should have said 'sarcasm'. I don't think the age of consent should be lowered either. But to limit the voting age because of the age of consent is a pretty pointless criterion.
    That's a relief - I was worried you might be another Tory pervert (note sarcasm!).
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2014
    Parents are expected to support their children through university which is usually 5 years after they turn 16. An adult should be someone who is capable of supporting themselves and can act and think independent of parental pressure. Dropping the voting age to 16 an age when people are still very dependent on others does seem to me to be out of line of the principle that voters should be an individual adult. But I guess that it is the same as people dependent upon the state and not net contributers to the state. Why not have the 16 and 17 year olds vote in higher income taxes which they do not have to pay.....
  • Options
    Just as there should be no tax without representation there should be no voting without taxation on them...
  • Options

No, but I wouldn't object to a 16-year-old opponent on grounds of age. One of the Conservative candidates for the council and a vociferous critic is 17 (he'll be 18 by May, I assume). It's good to see him getting stuck into the debates.

Aha! So the law considers that you have to be 18 to stand in an election?

That sound you heard was the votes-for-16-year-olds argument crashing and burning.
  • Options
    Given that our current politics are unhealthily geared to the concerns of those post-retirement at present, bringing that back slightly towards a younger demographic would be no bad thing.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, someone might want to remind the police that an allegation isn't the same as guilt.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    Ninoinoz said:

Aha! So the law considers that you have to be 18 to stand in an election?

That sound you heard was the votes-for-16-year-olds argument crashing and burning.
    Until recently, the law held you could vote at 18 but had to be 21 to be a candidate.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Ladbrokes have cut the price of Jason Zarodny being the next leader of the Lib Dems from 100/1 to 50/1. Now there's a betting opportunity!
  • Options
    O/T - I believe he is ex Tory, BNP, left UKIP, joined the English Democrats and rejoined UKIP, but still it is a valid excuse as any

@NorseFired A #UKIP activist blames @LFC's poor form on God punishing them for sponsoring a Gay Pride event. via @edlnews

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4_qDOmIUAAOkiE.jpg
  • Options
    Dan Hodges:

"England won't put up with Scotland's behaviour for long
    Do the people and politicians of Scotland honestly think they can continue demanding a series of referendums in perpetuity? "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11296689/England-wont-put-up-with-Scotlands-behaviour-for-long.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

("Mr Kerry?!")

Only Fools & Horses had many many racial and homophobic slurs, with whole episodes being based on mockery of foreigners, different races, sexes & sexual preferences

The episodes wouldn't be shown in their entirety now, indeed, they are edited to remove the un PC language

It was a product of the tv standards of its time, but it probably still is very similar to real life many areas, and I would guess Basildon is one of them
  • Options
    New poll: half of Britons (53%) support #EVEL 23% oppose it.

40% support English parliament, 30% oppose. @itvnews

http://comres.co.uk/poll/1352/itv-news-evel-poll.htm
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, interesting stats, bit the figures for what the English alone want matter more.

Mr. Isam, sadly, the DVD version (in my edition, anyway) of A Blackadder Christmas Carol has cut out the bit about nailing the dog to a cross [a dog playing Jesus in a nativity play beforehand]. Pisses me off when people cut bits from DVDs.
  • Options

O/T - I believe he is ex Tory, BNP, left UKIP, joined the English Democrats and rejoined UKIP, but still it is a valid excuse as any

@NorseFired A #UKIP activist blames @LFC's poor form on God punishing them for sponsoring a Gay Pride event. via @edlnews

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4_qDOmIUAAOkiE.jpg

Someone should tweet that to Mario Balotelli. Though that would be like giving a child a flick-knife.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Universal age of adulthood.

Choose 16 or 18 or whatever, but make it so criminal responsibility, ability to vote, marry, die for your country, etc all happen at the same time.

And be expected to fund themselves.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 43s43 seconds ago
    Hot news from @edballsmp Xmas party. He passed his Grade 4 piano exam. V high score on sight reading.
This discussion has been closed.