Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is the most popular politician in Britain – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,678
    Spin is being warmed up as we speak. 10 minutes to hot takes!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,715
    Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    59m
    The government argued, when making their visa changes, that not allowing care workers to bring dependents would only cause a drop in dependents, not care workers.

First month suggests that's very much not true and, on their own analysis, is a big problem.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1786121267898200178
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    My prediction for tonight for local elections

Conservatives -550
    Labour +300
    Lib Dem +100
    Green +100
    Others +50
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,648
    OnboardG1 said:

An old mate of mine told me today the Leeds Tories are bricking it. There’s a good chance their group leader will be unseated by a Green challenger. The ward is Wetherby, a formerly rock solid Tory, affluent market town in leafy, rural-ish NE Leeds. He’s a former mayor of Wetherby and is well known and is hoping incumbency helps, but a Green was elected last time and apparently it’s all a bit squeaky bum time. They expect all the other Tories up for re-election to lose, some of those from formerly rock solid Tory wards too.

Blimey. If Wetherby falls then the Tories are in even more shit than their dire polling suggests.
    'Wetherby Has Fallen' could be the new 'Were You Still Up For Portillo?'
    These Gerard Butler movies are getting sillier with every sequel.
    I'd be queuing up outside the Odeon for that one.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,177
    edited May 2
    TimS said:

While we wait, here’s Britain’s finest comedy sketch on local government:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xu2ib2r5aDw

Still accurate in Tower Hamlets probably. But great ending to the sketch.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

Interesting chat to the polling office staff this morning; they felt it was a long day but decent money for sitting at a desk.

Checking up it is about £20 per hour.

Today being £230 + 20% extra for running two polls + £30 for a training session.

Given that ours are PCC and D2N2 Mayor with notalot of voters, I can see the attraction.

That's nearly 2 weeks of basic state pension.

You can volunteer to be on the list. You probably won't get it as priority will almost certainly go to current or former local authority staff, but people always drop out as the date approaches and some venues are tough to fill, so you never know.
    Friend of mine, in his student days topped up his income by working as a polling clerk. Long time ago now, of course.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,329
    "A former soldier said he was left “gutted” today when he was denied a vote at the polling station, as his Veteran ID was turned down as a valid form of photo identification.

Under the Tory government’s new draconian voter ID rules, his photo ID did not qualify as a valid document required in order to cast a vote in the local elections today.

Former soldier Adam Diver wrote on X: “I’m not one for complaining but I am gutted! I spent 27 years in the Army and today I was going to vote in my local elections. “I was sadly turned away at the door as my Veteran ID was not allowed as formal ID. “I will be fighting for this “special ID” to be “more” formal.” The Electoral Reform Society said the case showed the “arbitrary nature of voter ID rules” in which the government gets to decide what counts, and what doesn’t.

Tory MP Johnny Mercer replied to the veteran with an apology and said he’d try to update the list of valid IDs before the general election. The MP for Plymouth Moor View said: “I am sorry about this. The legislation on acceptable forms of ID came out before the veterans ID cards started coming out in January this year. I will do all I can to change it before the next one.” "

https://leftfootforward.org/2024/05/tory-mp-apologises-to-veteran-denied-vote-at-polls-over-valid-photo-id/
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,909
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

Interesting chat to the polling office staff this morning; they felt it was a long day but decent money for sitting at a desk.

Checking up it is about £20 per hour.

Today being £230 + 20% extra for running two polls + £30 for a training session.

Given that ours are PCC and D2N2 Mayor with notalot of voters, I can see the attraction.

That's nearly 2 weeks of basic state pension.

You can volunteer to be on the list. You probably won't get it as priority will almost certainly go to current or former local authority staff, but people always drop out as the date approaches and some venues are tough to fill, so you never know.
    Bank tellers used to be popular choices to count the votes but .. CASH!

[runs and hides]
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 93

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

Do people ever wonder what people from abroad make of those declarations when you have characters like Count Binface etc on the stage .

They struggle to comprehend it.

I'll tell you an anecdote on these lines.

Back in circa 2011 Barack Obama rang to speak to David Cameron, he was genuinely perplexed to learn that David Cameron was out delivering leaflets/canvassing in his constituency of Witney and that Dave would call him back in an hour or so as the mobile reception in West Oxfordshire was bad.
    Think how fab things would be if he had acknowledged his limitations and stuck to leafletting.
    It's comments like this that lead to me using that Nigel Farage photo in thead headers. #CollectivePunishmentForInsultingDave
    No out of context photo will ever trump Corbyn dressing up for the Last Leg in a tuxedo, fur coat and a Bentley.
    Farage came sickeningly close to revealing his Last Leg in the photo we’re being threatened with.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562
    Andy_JS said:

"A former soldier said he was left “gutted” today when he was denied a vote at the polling station, as his Veteran ID was turned down as a valid form of photo identification.

Under the Tory government’s new draconian voter ID rules, his photo ID did not qualify as a valid document required in order to cast a vote in the local elections today.

Former soldier Adam Diver wrote on X: “I’m not one for complaining but I am gutted! I spent 27 years in the Army and today I was going to vote in my local elections. “I was sadly turned away at the door as my Veteran ID was not allowed as formal ID. “I will be fighting for this “special ID” to be “more” formal.” The Electoral Reform Society said the case showed the “arbitrary nature of voter ID rules” in which the government gets to decide what counts, and what doesn’t.

Tory MP Johnny Mercer replied to the veteran with an apology and said he’d try to update the list of valid IDs before the general election. The MP for Plymouth Moor View said: “I am sorry about this. The legislation on acceptable forms of ID came out before the veterans ID cards started coming out in January this year. I will do all I can to change it before the next one.” "

https://leftfootforward.org/2024/05/tory-mp-apologises-to-veteran-denied-vote-at-polls-over-valid-photo-id/

How hard is it to check the suitable list of IDs? Are people doing this on purpose? And as for the government getting to decide what counts and what doesn’t, that might be because governments pass legislation…
  • Options
    It is done. Let the spin commence
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    Tory losses <500 now in front of >=500 at Betfair: 2.04 to 1.96. There's probably money to be made here by those with quick fingers.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,329
    edited May 2
    10pm. Welcome to election night. 😊
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

How hard is it to check the suitable list of IDs? Are people doing this on purpose? And as for the government getting to decide what counts and what doesn’t, that might be because governments pass legislation…
    Yes indeed. I didn't and don't support the changes, I regarded them as unnecessary even if not quite the outrageous idea in principle that some have suggested, but that's a particularly dumb way of attacking it.

Perhaps its arrogance, but I do sometimes find myself thinking I could do a better job crafting opposing arguments for things I don't even oppose, than the people actually opposing them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,850
    edited May 2

Andy_JS said:

It has dawned me that both my driver's license and passport renewal windows are October/November time this year and that I need to make other plans to vote.
  • Options
    Happy John Curtice Night, everyone!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,428
    @BritainElects
    ·
    45s
    NEW | Our 2024 local election forecast:

Net change in council seats for...
    -478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,552

An old mate of mine told me today the Leeds Tories are bricking it. There’s a good chance their group leader will be unseated by a Green challenger. The ward is Wetherby, a formerly rock solid Tory, affluent market town in leafy, rural-ish NE Leeds. He’s a former mayor of Wetherby and is well known and is hoping incumbency helps, but a Green was elected last time and apparently it’s all a bit squeaky bum time. They expect all the other Tories up for re-election to lose, some of those from formerly rock solid Tory wards too.

Blimey. If Wetherby falls then the Tories are in even more shit than their dire polling suggests.
    'Wetherby Has Fallen' could be the new 'Were You Still Up For Portillo?'
    I should add, if you’re tempted to stay up for such an epochal event, counting in Leeds doesn’t start until 11am. So it will be a very long night indeed.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,982
    Let me be the first....

It's going to be a terrrrrrrrrrible night for the Tories...
  • Options
    edited May 2

Andy_JS said:

It's fucking ridiculous that there's any kind of confusion about what you need to do at the polling station to be able to vote. I think yes, someone is indeed doing it on purpose.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,893
    edited May 2
    OK, didn't come on for that.

The locals: can anyone truly be arsed to kick the Tories this time out?

What change of direction would you hope to enact? They've changed leaders time and again and still they circle the drain. They are gone, gone, gone. And kicking them will make them run from a GE all the more.

OK, I didn't vote for them, but I didn't burn to hurt the Tories or send them any kind of message this time out. They are irrelevant. And I think that will limit the scale of their losses.

So today was two polls, the local ward and the metro mayor. I went down to the golf club at lunch and cast for the incumbents, the Green councillor who stands in every single election I vote in and Tracy (above the Green councillor option).

I reckon about a quarter of the names were crossed off on the street names alphabetically close to me - not sure if that includes those signed up for postal votes or actually represented decent turn out. One sizeable street seemed to be putting on a good show.

An old Carribbean lady was being helped around forms of identification by the station assistant having been turned away.

And that was that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,987

Andy_JS said:

It has dawned me that both my driver's license and passport renewal windows are October/November time this year and that I need to make other plans to vote.
    I've already requested a postal vote for you - no ID required.
  • Options
    edited May 2

These results show it is time for Sunak to go or the Tories will be wiped out in the GE/Labour have not won over the people yet.
  • Options
    Britain Elects forecast

-478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other

Would be very bad but not quite Wellingborough bad for the Tories
  • Options
    kle4 said:

These results show it is time for Sunak to go or the Tories will be wiped out in the GE/Labour have not won over the people yet.
    People UP and DOWN the country innit
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,347
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes indeed. I didn't and don't support the changes, I regarded them as unnecessary even if not quite the outrageous idea in principle that some have suggested, but that's a particularly dumb way of attacking it.

Perhaps its arrogance, but I do sometimes find myself thinking I could do a better job crafting opposing arguments for things I don't even oppose, than the people actually opposing them.
    I think it's entirely reasonable to make that argument. Governments have a political incentive to fiddle with the forms of ID required. Tory governments can skew it to ID forms held by older voters. Labour can skew it away from them and so on. If you're going to do ID (and it's unnecessary and an obvious attempt at voter suppression) then the government should not be the ones deciding on what ID is valid. It should be devolved to an independent organisation.
  • Options
    Only anecdotal, but from my various electoral acquaintances, in the smaller elections to date there has been not as much fuss about the ID rules as they were expecting, so it will be interesting if there has been more now, of it is remains at the level of minor irritation.

Because if it is the latter, Labour may only bother to tweak the rules, not get rid of the requirement.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,260
    Went to vote for the West Mercia PCC at 9pm. Very quiet as expected.

These elections will be disproportionately influenced by turnout in places where there are local elections. In Shropshire I expect turnout to be very low.
  • Options
    bobbobbobbob Posts: 9

Andy_JS said:

Don’t think the ID needs to be valid? You used to be able to use expired uk passports to prove right to work

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,347

Britain Elects forecast

-478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other

That's within the MOE of the 500/300 that was expected assuming it plays out. Probably enough for Sunak to keep the wolves away from the door. Just.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it's entirely reasonable to make that argument. Governments have a political incentive to fiddle with the forms of ID required. Tory governments can skew it to ID forms held by older voters. Labour can skew it away from them and so on. If you're going to do ID (and it's unnecessary and an obvious attempt at voter suppression) then the government should not be the ones deciding on what ID is valid. It should be devolved to an independent organisation.
    Can't say I agree with that one. Farming things out to independent organisations is not always a solution.

Regardless, many will persuasively argue against the principal of requiring ID even if it was or had been devolved to an independent organisation. The types of ID which are permitted is not the main objection, so quibbling over what counts and who gets to decide is just a distraction and a pretext for just arguing the whole thing is wrong.

I would suggest the government would not mind having that argument, it is one they can make concessions on, whilst entrenching the overall principal.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    kle4 said:

Only anecdotal, but from my various electoral acquaintances, in the smaller elections to date there has been not as much fuss about the ID rules as they were expecting, so it will be interesting if there has been more now, of it is remains at the level of minor irritation.

Because if it is the latter, Labour may only bother to tweak the rules, not get rid of the requirement.

If you're postal voting, you only supply the ID at application, I dropped off the parental votes for Andy Burnham and I had to fill in a form but not provide ID. The oldies are generally quite organised on this score. Its younger people without driving licences who generally don't have ID to hand.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,305
    Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

It's fucking ridiculous that there's any kind of confusion about what you need to do at the polling station to be able to vote. I think yes, someone is indeed doing it on purpose.
    I voted without any photo ID today. The lady in front of me was asked, but I wasn’t. They seemed to be happy with my polling card (which I don’t think qualifies under the Tories’ crazy new rules?)
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

I voted without any photo ID today. The lady in front of me was asked, but I wasn’t. They seemed to be happy with my polling card (which I don’t think qualifies under the Tories’ crazy new rules?)
    No, it doesn't.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,987
    bobbob said:

Andy_JS said:

Don’t think the ID needs to be valid? You used to be able to use expired uk passports to prove right to work

Good point:

Out of date photo ID
    You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you.
    The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id
  • Options

bobbob said:

Andy_JS said:

Good point:

Out of date photo ID
    You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you.
    The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id
    People will use this as justification for dying their hair and awful attempts at combovers - necessary to ensure they still look like themselves.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,850

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kle4 said:

Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

No, it doesn't.
    The feeling is that we are living in a historically short-lived transitional epoch before digital really kicks in and the authorities know where everyone is at all times and so questions of verification of identity won't arise.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,396
    edited May 2
    Willing to bet on zero SNP gains, but also zero losses. Anyone?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,106

That surprises me because my call is Conservatives doing okay in North Yorkshire when it comes to Mayor election, it will be a third Tory win with Street and Houchen. North Yorkshire overall will always be Tory. For ever and ever.
    Wasn't there a poll putting Labour ahead in NY?
    No, I think Biden will win NY.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

The confusion is the idiots who can’t take a minute to check what’s needed. No matter if you agree with the need for ID or not, make your vote count and follow the rules.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,067

Britain Elects forecast

-478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other

I have a feeling in my bones the Tories will do better than that. Based on recent council by-elections where they’ve had a few surprising holds and even a couple of gains, and based on the fact the mystical 10-15% Reform vote (which is just disgruntled Tories) has nowhere to go today except back home.

Con -300
    Lab +140
    LD + 90
    Green +30
    Other +40
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 90
    edited May 2
    Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

What even a former Prime Minister and in power when the law was passed? Actually thinking on it is exactly the sort of caper he would do on purpose. Gets him in the papers and rubbing his successor’s nose in the mess of the overnight results.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,022

Andy_JS said:

I was checked twice.

On the door "have you got ID".
    At the desk "please show me your ID".

We had a discussion whilst I was voting about the precedent of using a penis as a mark, whilst also talking about volunteering etc.

The suggestion was made that were I to volunteer I should not ask that of the interviewer as my first question.

Six candidates for mayor, incidentally.

One thing often forgotten about Mr Political Job in Nottinghamshire Ben Bradley is that he is only 34.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,580
    edited May 2
    TimS said:

Britain Elects forecast

-478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other

I have a feeling in my bones the Tories will do better than that. Based on recent council by-elections where they’ve had a few surprising holds and even a couple of gains, and based on the fact the mystical 10-15% Reform vote (which is just disgruntled Tories) has nowhere to go today except back home.

Con -300
    Lab +140
    LD + 90
    Green +30
    Other +40
    That's awful for Labour and excellent for Rishi. It looks like game-on!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Donkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

No, it doesn't.
    Would have been under my version of the system. I’d require either the polling card or if you don’t present that, then you must prove who you are with ID.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Had an interesting 9 hours on the doorstep knocking up in Cowley (Oxford) (we don't have local elections in my patch this year). A totally different feel to the anti-Government sentiment that dominates my area - in Cowley, Labour and the LibDems are seen as the parties in power at City and County level, and there's a substantial backlash against the LTNs being put in by the (LD) County Council. The Tories were barely on the field, but "independent" anti-LTN candidates were hoovering up the usual Tory vote and peeling votes off all the other parties too. I don't think any national party will do well there, though it probably doesn't have much significance in national terms.
  • Options
    edited May 2

OK, let me start a subject. For whatever party you are aligned to - what is your ideal batting line up to spin the party line on election night?

For my money - get Jonathan Reynolds on first, don't want to fall asleep for the bulk of the results so don't put him in the middle of the night, Lucy Powell in the lully bit that needs some general vacuity, Ashworth to be combative for the early meat, then Pat McFadden for the wry summing up.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,446
    Foxy said:

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

Do people ever wonder what people from abroad make of those declarations when you have characters like Count Binface etc on the stage .

They struggle to comprehend it.

I'll tell you an anecdote on these lines.

Back in circa 2011 Barack Obama rang to speak to David Cameron, he was genuinely perplexed to learn that David Cameron was out delivering leaflets/canvassing in his constituency of Witney and that Dave would call him back in an hour or so as the mobile reception in West Oxfordshire was bad.
    Think how fab things would be if he had acknowledged his limitations and stuck to leafletting.
    It's comments like this that lead to me using that Nigel Farage photo in thead headers. #CollectivePunishmentForInsultingDave
    No out of context photo will ever trump Corbyn dressing up for the Last Leg in a tuxedo, fur coat and a Bentley.
    He scrubbed up quite well as I remember. Derek Guy would approve I am sure.

Starmer needs to read his twitter. He needs better fitting jackets or to shed a few stone.
    How many stone does Streeting weigh?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,678
    I was watching the football tonight. Knock on the door. Sorry to trouble you. Have you and Mrs Al voted today?
    It was my MP. Quite impressed, as the election here was just for the PCC and a single councillor by-election.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 263

TimS said:

Britain Elects forecast

-478 | Conservative
    +273 | Labour
    +129 | Lib Dem
    +52 | Greeen
    +24 | Other

Con -300
    Lab +140
    LD + 90
    Green +30
    Other +40
    That's awful for Labour and excellent for Rishi. It looks like game-on!
    Judging from the expresserati the reform voters would rather stay home than vote "consocialist' since it is a "status quo" party that "betrayed brexit".
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,342

I was watching the football tonight. Knock on the door. Sorry to trouble you. Have you and Mrs Al voted today?
    It was my MP. Quite impressed, as the election here was just for the PCC and a single councillor by-election.

Leverkusen extending their unbeaten run in all competitions!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,707

That surprises me because my call is Conservatives doing okay in North Yorkshire when it comes to Mayor election, it will be a third Tory win with Street and Houchen. North Yorkshire overall will always be Tory. For ever and ever.
    And not even close. But completely against the narrative.

I was wrong in Rochdale, the narrative was right. Trust the narrative more than difficult to do mayor polls?
  • Options

And not even close. But completely against the narrative.

I was wrong in Rochdale, the narrative was right. Trust the narrative more than difficult to do mayor polls?
    The NY mayoral includes York which will be about 1/3 of the total weight, right?
This discussion has been closed.