Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This could be suboptimal for the SNP in an election year – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561

NEW THREAD

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,538

It looks like the size and scope of the Israeli response is very limited.

Good news: Like the Iranian attack, it seems to be about saving face by having the last word. Compared with escalation, that's clearly good.

Bad news: it's literally impossible for both sides to have the last word.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,775
    edited April 19
    Extraordinary old school letching from The Spectator.

https://twitter.com/lea_ypi/status/1780875319735411088?t=gMy5X4EXw6O-UqJtLWNBnA&s=19

New thread BTW.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,409

Taz said:

Taz said:

Seems like a pissweak Israeli response if that's it.

Netanyahu is weak.

PB’s very own John Bolton is dissapointed.

Don’t worry Bart, it’s unlikely to be the only retaliatory strike.
    I think it will be. Netanyahu is weak and prefers sabre rattling to action.

Still not dealt with Hamas in Rafah. He'd rather let the war drag on and everyone suffer for longer than actually go and fight Hamas in Rafah. That this impotent response is all he's done is par for the course.
    What do you think his response to Israel should have been. I know little of this whole conflict to be honest but what I read from those who day it appears all,sides do not want an escalation. Be it israel.,the US, hezbollah or Iran. So how does he respond to save face but not escalate.
    Not everyone. I think there should have been an escalation.

Ideally striking Iran hard enough it leads to full regime change.

Failing that, at a bare minimum, striking and destroying all of Irans nuclear facilities and program.
    Has regime change ever been accomplished by aerial bombardment alone?

Has it ever been achieved by anything short of occupying the regime's capital?

How would you propose that Israel occupy Tehran?
    Yes, many times.

See the fall of Gaddafi for instance.
    There were rebel forces in Libya fighting against the regime. So the Western air strikes did not topple the regime alone. Where are the rebel forces fighting a civil war in Iran?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    kjh said:

Why? They are adults. They register where they want providing it is legal and that can be multiple addresses providing they only vote once. This is normal for children who have more than one residence eg my children were on the register elsewhere when they were students for instance as well as at our house (they can pick one or the other or both). If their parents have two houses between them then either or both are reasonable. And if both are in the same constituency what on earth is the issue as there is no motivation to pick one or the other (even though that would be both legal and normal)
    I seem to remember, back in the dim distant past, a policy from conservative headquarters which suggested that people with second homes should consider where they should register to vote.

The idea was that conservative voters should vote where they were most likely to benefit the conservative cause!

How the world changes!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,775

Taz said:

Taz said:

Netanyahu is weak.

Still not dealt with Hamas in Rafah. He'd rather let the war drag on and everyone suffer for longer than actually go and fight Hamas in Rafah. That this impotent response is all he's done is par for the course.
    What do you think his response to Israel should have been. I know little of this whole conflict to be honest but what I read from those who day it appears all,sides do not want an escalation. Be it israel.,the US, hezbollah or Iran. So how does he respond to save face but not escalate.

Ideally striking Iran hard enough it leads to full regime change.

Failing that, at a bare minimum, striking and destroying all of Irans nuclear facilities and program.
    Has regime change ever been accomplished by aerial bombardment alone?

Has it ever been achieved by anything short of occupying the regime's capital?

How would you propose that Israel occupy Tehran?
    Yes, many times.

See the fall of Gaddafi for instance.
    There were rebel forces in Libya fighting against the regime. So the Western air strikes did not topple the regime alone. Where are the rebel forces fighting a civil war in Iran?
    Libya may be suboptimal when looking for an example of regime change.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780

Taz said:

Taz said:

Netanyahu is weak.

Ideally striking Iran hard enough it leads to full regime change...
    Quite likely that would have the opposite effect.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

Netanyahu is weak.

It shows strength to deliver a calibrated response. You don’t always need to turn the dial to 11 immediately
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

For the nth time, people can register to vote at places other than their main address, or multiple addresses, including students for example. They merely need a reasonable connection to the address. If they were splitting their time between two addresses there is nothing wrong with one of them choosing address A and the other address B.

Now how do you feel about Menzies?
    Can you really register at the addresses in the same constituency? Students are a special case (not a Rayner point)

But all the evidence - circumstantial - points to most of her life being orientated towards her husband’s house.

I suspect that she tried to pull a fast one on PPR and got caught. That’s why she won’t reveal the advice - which she would presumably do if it exonerated her.

• Options

For the nth time, people can register to vote at places other than their main address, or multiple addresses, including students for example. They merely need a reasonable connection to the address. If they were splitting their time between two addresses there is nothing wrong with one of them choosing address A and the other address B.

Now how do you feel about Menzies?
    Can you really register at the addresses in the same constituency? Students are a special case (not a Rayner point)

But all the evidence - circumstantial - points to most of her life being orientated towards her husband’s house.

I suspect that she tried to pull a fast one on PPR and got caught. That’s why she won’t reveal the advice - which she would presumably do if it exonerated her.

The suggestion is that her legal advice contains a lot of sensitive information about her family, including her kids, and does not want that shared in the public domain.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Netanyahu is weak.

Antisemite!!!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Stock on Truss:

And just as she has no interest in arguing about why she is correct, when it comes to her ideological opponents — Leftists, educationalists, environmentalists, Tory wets, the legal establishment, the Westminster blob — she is equally uninterested in explaining why they are wrong. Everything she disagrees with is basically the fault of Michel Foucault, who she “discovered while taking a course in political sociology”.

https://unherd.com/2024/04/why-liz-truss-will-never-repent/

If Stock is desperate for evidence of that the leftists, educationalists, environmentalists, Tory wets, the legal establishment, the Westminster blob are wrong, perhaps she should leave the house. We are dealing with the economic and social consequences of an unbroken social democrat ascendancy as we speak.