Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

1931 in reverse grows closer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    TimS said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

'Mark Menzies called an elderly local party volunteer at 3.15 a.m. in December last year saying he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death.” '

These sleaze allegations are getting ever weirder. I mean Angela Rayner's hypothesised tax bill is rather ordinary in comparison.

That's a classic scam isn't it? Call an elderly person, pretend to be someone they know, say you need money urgently.

I'd be extremely surprised if it was actually him.

[Absent transaction logs, of course]
    It's a scam which is becoming distressingly easy - and evermore effective. Microsoft have just revealed (released?) some voice cloning tech which is ASTONISHING. They can take a few moments of audio, and one photo, and turn it into an almost-entirely-convincing video of you - of anyone - saying what the "user" wants them to say. So you might get completely convincing VIDEO CALLS from, say, one of your children, begging for immediate money or they will die, and are you really going to say No? Are you going to wait and run the video through high-tech fake-detection software?

Honestly, it is terrifying in its implications
    It would be ironic if the technology gets so advanced that people start treating all electronic communications as suspect and revert to a pre-internet, or even pre-TV, mentality where everything that matters is done in person.
    That is possibly what will happen. It also means the end of WFH maybe? It certainly means the end of a lot of important stuff done over the phone or by video., you won't be able to trust it

But really, there are so many incredible implications of this tech - some dazzling some disastrous - it is impossible to really predict. It truly is an Event Horizon. the metaphor is beyond apt
    Yep:

And politics is going to become a complete cesspit of faked videos.
    It absolutely is. Indeed politics might become impossible, as you won't be able to trust ANYTHING, any speeches, any broadcasts, any TV interviews, any TV debates, so how will they do it?

Here is that Microsoft Technology (you've probably seen it)

"VASA-1: Lifelike Audio-Driven Talking Faces Generated in Real Time"

"We introduce VASA, a framework for generating lifelike talking faces of virtual charactors with appealing visual affective skills (VAS), given a single static image and a speech audio clip."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/vasa-1/

You can have fake newsreaders, fake actors, fake anyone-on-TV, you won't have to pay Gary Lineker £6m, you can take one photo of him and then AI-it, and sack the real Lineker

Honestly, you just need to look at these videos for a few moments, and extrapolate ahead two years, and.... fffffffuck

This is VASA 1. It is almost perfect, there are still some tiny glitches sometimes, when you do suspect, but wow. So now what will VASA 2 be like? Remember how images went from rubbish to flawless in one year
    The upside, if you have a famous face and a very marketable or trusted public profile is that you could sell your image rights to AI programme makers to have you front their programme without you having to actually do any work.

So, for example, Fiona Bruce could do a load of TV programmes, some history documentary, a travel show and a politics review all in the same week without actually needing to leave the house.
    The most obvious application for that is Attenborough’s voice. Instant immortality. He’d still be doing the voiceover for nature documentaries in 2150.
    And in 250 million years time he could present the programme on them digging up his own fossilised remains.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,690
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Something to cheer us all up

"Brussels proposes return to pre-Brexit free movement for UK and EU young people
    European Commission to seek approval from leaders to start talks with UK on visa-free exchanges for 18- to 30-year-olds"

I never had a problem with FoM (I accept many did, and respect that choice)

So, from me, YAY

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/18/brussels-proposes-return-to-pre-brexit-free-movement-for-uk-and-eu-young-people?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Could be viewed as a political move to split UK opinion along age lines even more than it already is.
    They should make it 18-60 years olds. That would really do it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    Leon said:

"Brussels proposes return to pre-Brexit free movement for UK and EU young people
    European Commission to seek approval from leaders to start talks with UK on visa-free exchanges for 18- to 30-year-olds"

So, from me, YAY

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/18/brussels-proposes-return-to-pre-brexit-free-movement-for-uk-and-eu-young-people?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

School parties would be an obvious start. Apparently Britain has lost a great deal of this business because intra-EU travel does not need the children to have passports, and after Brexit, coming here does.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Andy_JS said:

148grss said:

I'm surprised more people aren't looking at the Conservative collapse in Canada in 1993 as an analogy; going from 156 seats to 2 and having a massive voter realignment after bad economic conditions seems to fit quite well here. I don't think Tory seat numbers will fall that low, but they could be under 100, which would be extremely poor. And political parties rise and fall - and die. There is no reason to imagine the Conservatives are immune to that - they have arguably been in their death throes since Thatcher / Major (with New Labour just adopting a lot of Thatcherism, and the Tories only have brief moments of governing majorities since Major).

I don't think they'll go below 150, although that would still be their worst ever performance.
    You'll be fine Andy, don't worry. At the very worst it's going to be low 200s.

I am less confident of my 20 seat Tory majority prediction than I once was, but remember 1992!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,219
    Nigelb said:

I hadn't realised this witness was still a senior PO lawyer.
    Dealing with their victims.

Incredible.

..Former sub-postmaster Lee Castleton has called for Rodric Williams to be "removed" from the process of administering compensation.

Williams is currently a Head of Legal in the Post Office’s Remediation Unit. The remediation unit handles appeals from sub-postmasters, compensation and redress...

As I was saying upthread. It is an appalling conflict of interest and I simply do not understand how the Business Department can possibly permit this.

Well, I do in the sense that they have no sense of integrity at all. But you know what I mean.

This is a level of corruption - not in the sense of taking bribes - but in the sense of corruption of all standards of integrity, honesty and fair dealing that would embarrass Italians or the Chinese.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

An asteroid is hurtling towartds the Tories. We could actually witness the death of the Conservative Party. If so: good. This country needs a proper right wing alternative to pallid , high tax, high spend social democracy with extra Wokeness, which is what Starmer and Sunak do and will provide

Millions of people would vote for a party of the centre right which was low tax, low spend, low debt, low borrowing, sane regulation, with added free speech, free trade, personal responsibility, sound defence, sound on the nature and role of the family and other small platoons, Burkean about change and respectful of our history and culture.

What we need urgently (if the Speccie could help here I might start reading it again) is a rigorous and costed programme of how we would get there, what would stay and what would go, the finances thereof and the political route to it.

Secondly this new party could do with a new name. Con, LD, Reform, Respect, Reclaim, UKIP, Brexit, and Change are all tainted by the failure to produce the 5 pages of A4 explaining how it is done in such a way as to both win an election and be successful.

For now the closest to this (though not very close) is called Labour.
    They will certainly 'labour' to achieve that which is a very sensible objective
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,219
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

An asteroid is hurtling towartds the Tories. We could actually witness the death of the Conservative Party. If so: good. This country needs a proper right wing alternative to pallid , high tax, high spend social democracy with extra Wokeness, which is what Starmer and Sunak do and will provide

Well you have all that with Reform. You may garner 10% at the election, 15% at most but you will have no seats. That kind of thinking, to which you are (currently) aligned will always sit out on the extreme in Britain.

By contrast there will always be a place for a centre-right low taxation AND socially caring party, which is sadly not where the current Conservative party have taken themselves with their esoteric psychotic obsessions about things which are of little concern to the vast majority of this country.
    "with their esoteric psychotic obsessions about things which are of little concern to the vast majority of this country."

Please, can we not talk about Trans, again
    You mean, necklaces?
    I've noticed that she is wearing that necklace all the time now. So she clearly doesn't care that everyone now knows, because she really means it

eg it's in the "official" photo on her Wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Truss

Here in the Telegraph yesterday

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/non-fiction/ten-years-to-save-the-west-review-liz-truss-memoir/

Here in the Spec three days ago

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-five-revelations-from-trusss-first-book-interview/

I kind of admire her chutzpah, even if she was a disaster as PM. Which she absolutely was
    Everyone doesn't know. Hardly anyone knows. I suspect most here only know because you told us the meaning of it. I have mentioned what you have posted to a few people and everyone I mention it to are gobsmacked and don't believe it and think it is a conspiracy, although I imagine they went home and googled it so it will spread. I appreciate we are looking at the wrong type of social media stuff, but that will be the case with most people surely.

I could be wrong, but I wonder how many people here would be aware if you hadn't said.
    True. I am open to messages of gratitude
    You certainly aim to dominate the threads.

Is that the sort of gratitude you're looking for?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    edited April 18

Leon said:

So, from me, YAY

School parties would be an obvious start. Apparently Britain has lost a great deal of this business because intra-EU travel does not need the children to have passports, and after Brexit, coming here does.
    The timing is very interesting. This offer is a gimme for Starmer, his party will love it, he will seize on it eagerly. For Sunak it's a bit of a poisoned chalice, I'm sure he will personally approve but he will have Brexity MPs who will instantly mistrust it, so the Tories will be even more divided (as @AndyJS implies)

So it's helpful for Starmer at just the right time, a few months before the UK election. Not that he needs help
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Well you have all that with Reform. You may garner 10% at the election, 15% at most but you will have no seats. That kind of thinking, to which you are (currently) aligned will always sit out on the extreme in Britain.

By contrast there will always be a place for a centre-right low taxation AND socially caring party, which is sadly not where the current Conservative party have taken themselves with their esoteric psychotic obsessions about things which are of little concern to the vast majority of this country.
    "with their esoteric psychotic obsessions about things which are of little concern to the vast majority of this country."

You mean, necklaces?
    I've noticed that she is wearing that necklace all the time now. So she clearly doesn't care that everyone now knows, because she really means it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/non-fiction/ten-years-to-save-the-west-review-liz-truss-memoir/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-five-revelations-from-trusss-first-book-interview/

I kind of admire her chutzpah, even if she was a disaster as PM. Which she absolutely was
    Everyone doesn't know. Hardly anyone knows. I suspect most here only know because you told us the meaning of it. I have mentioned what you have posted to a few people and everyone I mention it to are gobsmacked and don't believe it and think it is a conspiracy, although I imagine they went home and googled it so it will spread. I appreciate we are looking at the wrong type of social media stuff, but that will be the case with most people surely.

I could be wrong, but I wonder how many people here would be aware if you hadn't said.

lol. Clever. PB needs a safe word?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Whatever he gets is food to him.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Do you suppose that numbered amongst the many millions of people who had no clue about the "meaning" of that necklace is one Liz Truss.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Do you suppose that numbered amongst the many millions of people who had no clue about the "meaning" of that necklace is one Liz Truss.
    Given the info - not rumours, info - that has since emerged, No.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,778
    edited April 18
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

So, from me, YAY

Could be viewed as a political move to split UK opinion along age lines even more than it already is.
    Perhaps, but not from me. My BIGGEST regret about Brexit was the loss of FoM. It was the one thing that very nearly tipped me to Remain. I knew Brexit would be initially damaging and cost money, but I thought the gains in sovereignty and freedom from silly Brussels laws made it just about worth it

But if we can have Brexit AND FoM for young people? Yay. Then bring it in for everyone else. Sorted
    Talking of freedom of movement, a few weeks ago I flew from the US to UK via Dublin. Guess where the only passport check was? On leaving Boston, MA airport. No checks in Dublin, no checks on arrival in the UK. Dublin obviously assumed the flight was okay because it had left Boston, and the UK assumed it was okay because it was coming from Ireland.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Liz Truss was at Oxford between 1993 and 1996 along with one D. Seal Esq. My problem with this is only that I'm reasonably sure she wasn't at the Piers Gaveston Ball of summer 1995. TBF the Piers Gaveston Ball of summer 1995 was distinctly underwhelming when it came to any sort of kink. Plush sofas, cross dressing, some sort of Moulin Rouge tribute act on stage, fucking awful techno and a disappointing absence of random shagging. So maybe she was where the real action was...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    boulay said:

FF43 said:

'Mark Menzies called an elderly local party volunteer at 3.15 a.m. in December last year saying he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death.” '

These sleaze allegations are getting ever weirder. I mean Angela Rayner's hypothesised tax bill is rather ordinary in comparison.

That's a classic scam isn't it? Call an elderly person, pretend to be someone they know, say you need money urgently.

Wasn’t the corollary to the story that Menzies’ office repaid the money to the elderly person from party funds? Seems awfully generous of them if it was a scam (that is a scam by someone other than Menzies).
    A former colleague ran up a huge tab whilst pissed in a Geneva cabaret (a mix between a lap dance club and brothel they have there) and had to call me in the middle of the night to send him money otherwise he was going to be horribly beaten - I didn’t get repaid from company funds.

That’s the difference between someone being a drunken coked up prick and blowing money on things they shouldn’t be and someone being locked in a flat by bad people and needing urgent rescue when the police aren’t available by phone at that time of the morning.
    Is it ?
    The significant difference seems to me rather than you didn't get repaid. Probably correctly from the company's POV ?

Whether the rest of the facts are different, or not, is still to be determined, I think ?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Nigelb said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Wasn’t the corollary to the story that Menzies’ office repaid the money to the elderly person from party funds? Seems awfully generous of them if it was a scam (that is a scam by someone other than Menzies).
    A former colleague ran up a huge tab whilst pissed in a Geneva cabaret (a mix between a lap dance club and brothel they have there) and had to call me in the middle of the night to send him money otherwise he was going to be horribly beaten - I didn’t get repaid from company funds.

That’s the difference between someone being a drunken coked up prick and blowing money on things they shouldn’t be and someone being locked in a flat by bad people and needing urgent rescue when the police aren’t available by phone at that time of the morning.
    Is it ?
    The significant difference seems to me rather than you didn't get repaid. Probably correctly from the company's POV ?

Whether the rest of the facts are different, or not, is still to be determined, I think ?
    I was repaid by my colleague, I was just musing on situations where people might need money urgently in the middle of the night and noting that the Menzies case is clearly not going to be anything like my colleague’s situation.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Menzies having to disturb the old lady, if only the police worked 24 hours a day he could have called them for help instead.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Millions of people would vote for a party of the centre right which was low tax, low spend, low debt, low borrowing...
    How many would vote for massive cuts in every government service ?

You'd need to cut around 7% of TOTAL expenditure to tick the "low borrowing" box; more if you want to make progress towards "low debt", and more still for "low tax".

Otherwise you're just saying that millions would vote for a nice fantasy, or not to start from here.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Incredible.

..Former sub-postmaster Lee Castleton has called for Rodric Williams to be "removed" from the process of administering compensation.

Williams is currently a Head of Legal in the Post Office’s Remediation Unit. The remediation unit handles appeals from sub-postmasters, compensation and redress...

As I was saying upthread. It is an appalling conflict of interest and I simply do not understand how the Business Department can possibly permit this.

Well, I do in the sense that they have no sense of integrity at all. But you know what I mean.

This is a level of corruption - not in the sense of taking bribes - but in the sense of corruption of all standards of integrity, honesty and fair dealing that would embarrass Italians or the Chinese.
    If, having listened to his public evidence today, they don't suspend him tomorrow, then they're effing insane.

Or complicit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

How about what three safe words?

please. desist. leon
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,778
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Liz Truss was at Oxford between 1993 and 1996 along with one D. Seal Esq. My problem with this is only that I'm reasonably sure she wasn't at the Piers Gaveston Ball of summer 1995. TBF the Piers Gaveston Ball of summer 1995 was distinctly underwhelming when it came to any sort of kink. Plush sofas, cross dressing, some sort of Moulin Rouge tribute act on stage, fucking awful techno and a disappointing absence of random shagging. So maybe she was where the real action was...
    Interesting name for a university ball, naming it after Edward II's best friend who died by having a red hot poker shoved up his backside in 1325.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,703
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

I was doing a Master's at Oxford 1995/6. I do not recall meeting Liz Truss, but then mixing with undergraduates was a kink too far.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Given the info - not rumours, info - that has since emerged, No.
    Soz but you simply don't have any info.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Is it ?

I was repaid by my colleague, I was just musing on situations where people might need money urgently in the middle of the night and noting that the Menzies case is clearly not going to be anything like my colleague’s situation.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Menzies having to disturb the old lady, if only the police worked 24 hours a day he could have called them for help instead.
    That is to very generously assume his story is essentially true in its details. Perhaps that is indeed the case.
  • Options
    If anyone else is like @TOPPING and harbouring doubts about the necklace (they shouldn’t; it’s true) look at the necklace she is wearing HERE

She’s practically an extra from “The Story of O”
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Interesting name for a university ball, naming it after Edward II's best friend who died by having a red hot poker shoved up his backside in 1325.
    That was the point. If you'll excuse the pun. It's a society of 12 male self-selecting toffs that has an (in)famous annual party. It's where the Cameron incident with a pig is alleged to have occurred but I have doubts.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If anyone else is like @TOPPING and harbouring doubts about the necklace (they shouldn’t; it’s true) look at the necklace she is wearing HERE

With the earring too, perhaps she's just going for an Olympics look ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

You mean, necklaces?

Not a ball, but a society, ISTR. The ball is the society's, so to speak. It has previously attained political prominence in recent years:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-boris-johnson-s-piers-gaveston-porkies/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Still you have no facts. You are adding 2 + 2 and coming to 3.7.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I've heard friom multiple sources that it is true. One of them right here on PB. I am not going to embarrass them or trouble the mods with legal things by saying any more

Feel free to disbelieve if you want! Now I must go and have a drink in beautiful Highgate
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Leon said:

That's hardly the sort of conclusive proof James Daly would present to Greater Manchester Police. If you confirm you have pictures of her strapped Anastasia Steele-style to Christian Grey's dungeon wall you might have a point.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I've heard friom multiple sources that it is true. One of them right here on PB. I am not going to embarrass them or trouble the mods with legal things by saying any more

Feel free to disbelieve if you want! Now I must go and have a drink in beautiful Highgate
    Enjoy. "Multiple sources" doesn't equal facts. It equals multiple sources.

Like who was it (Dorothy Parker?) said the definition of a secret is malicious gossip told to one person at a time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Incredible.

If, having listened to his public evidence today, they don't suspend him tomorrow, then they're effing insane.

Or complicit.
    As with numerous PO witnesses, Williams seems to be playing some sort of passive nullity, with the whole horrible affair somehow just happening around him, without his intervention or knowledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-68841039
    ..Still on the handwritten document, Beer asks Williams why he was discussing if Fujitsu IT employee Gareth Jenkins may be a "tainted witness" with another lawyer, given that he is not a criminal law expert.

"I don't know," Williams initially replies, before saying that he remembers why - that one of the outcomes of the Second Sight report was dealing with Fujitsu and that he had been asked to help with that.

Beer follows up by asking what happened as a result of a discussion over what the Post Office had done to instruct Jenkins?

"I don't think any actions were taken," replies Williams.

Beer presses further, asking whether there was "any introspection" by the Post Office about its responsibility following the revelations about Jenkins.

Williams says he "would think so", adding that he would have asked for advice on what to do next.

Asked next what was done to take the issue forward, he says he is not aware of anything...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

i can send you a PM if you want, I don't want to get banned on PB, I am trying to be well behaved
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

i can send you a PM if you want, I don't want to get banned on PB, I am trying to be well behaved
    Well obviously I'm not going to say n(o ring) to that offer. Send away.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Oh and btw. It's not *that* place in Highgate you're going to, is it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I can’t because you’re profile is private?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    edited April 18
    Jury selection in Trump Trial:

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    It doesn't look like the Rothschild trope in Truss' book is being picked up as a story by anyone.
    Options:
    1. It isn't in the book. Person on Twitter made it up.
    2. It is in the book, but Truss is getting a pass for being dim rather than malevolent.
    3. Every media outlet has repeated the "quote" at least once, and so has seen their position in relation to glass houses before picking up the stones.
    4. Anti-Semitism just isn't important anymore.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    Savanta with the narrative spanner

🚨NEW West Mids Mayoral Voting Intention for @TheNewsAgents

📉Narrow 2pt Andy Street lead

🌳Con 40 (-9)
    🌹Lab 38 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 7 (+5)
    🔶LD 6 (+2)
    🌍Green 5 (-1)
    ⬜️Independent 5 (NEW)

1,018 in WMCA, 11-17 April

(chg vs 2021 result (1st prefs))
  • Options
    Peter Murrell arrested
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    edited April 18
    Off topic, but of interest to anyone wondering about US support for Ukraine. Mark Thiessen begins by noting that most of the US aid to Ukraine is being spent in the US, and then gives the details: "With a team of researchers at the American Enterprise Institute, I have catalogued the weapons systems being produced in the United States for Ukraine, identifying the congressional districts where they are being made and how House members voted on the funding. We analyzed contracts and news releases and spoke to defense industry experts, diplomats and Pentagon officials to determine where U.S. tax dollars end up. We found that our military aid is providing a major cash infusion to 122 defense production lines in 65 congressional districts across the country that directly benefits American workers — and that doesn’t count all the suppliers that provide these contractors with parts or all the shops, restaurants and other businesses that support the factories rolling out weapons in these districts."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/18/ukraine-map-districts-weapons/

He is promising a follow-up: "In a forthcoming essay, I will let you know who voted for — and against — defense jobs in their districts."
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@benatipsos

More evidence of #change #Elections2024 - @Keir_Starmer now well ahead of
    @RishiSunak on best Prime Minister rating. And the person in the lead normally wins.

Scott_xP said:

@benatipsos

More evidence of #change #Elections2024 - @Keir_Starmer now well ahead of
    @RishiSunak on best Prime Minister rating. And the person in the lead normally wins.

Does Rishi like skiing?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Ah ok well thanks - I'll have to live without it. Enjoy your drink.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

It doesn't look like the Rothschild trope in Truss' book is being picked up as a story by anyone.
    Options:
    2. It is in the book, but Truss is getting a pass for being dim rather than malevolent.
    3. Every media outlet has repeated the "quote" at least once, and so has seen their position in relation to glass houses before picking up the stones.

She did write it

The purported quote is all over the place - even the Economist has printed it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

There must be a way for us to communicate discreetly. I am happy to provide evidence for you!
  • Options
    The reporters at the Trump trial have been admonished for reporting too much information about the jurors (who are supposed to be anonymous) which might identify them.
  • Options
    Peter Murrell re-arrested.
  • Options

🌳Con 40 (-9)
    🌹Lab 38 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 7 (+5)
    🔶LD 6 (+2)
    🌍Green 5 (-1)
    ⬜️Independent 5 (NEW)

He'd have been b******* if FPTP hadn't been implemented for this election.
  • Options

Options:

She did write it

She says this about it which shows a certain ingenuousness if not editorial rigour:

"A spokesman for Truss said: “Liz came across the quote and thought it was a useful way of illustrating a point about the Bank of England. Numerous online sources have stated that it was attributed it to Rothschild, so she attributed it thus.”"
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

So is yours.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Do you not have a burner email address or social media account? Most do. I do

I’m happy to send evidence there, if so
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Do you not have a burner email address or social media account? Most do. I do

I’m happy to send evidence there, if so
    PM'd you
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 572
    edited April 18

Options:

It's not a trope. Irony is a trope. Synecdoche is a trope.
  • Options
    edited April 18

🌳Con 40 (-9)
    🌹Lab 38 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 7 (+5)
    🔶LD 6 (+2)
    🌍Green 5 (-1)
    ⬜️Independent 5 (NEW)

He'd have been b******* if FPTP hadn't been implemented for this election.
    Indeed so! And may still be.
    Just for fun based on this poll , if the Tories had Streets brand and could hold to a 3.5% W Mids swing they'd win 39 seats to Labour's 20. He's way way ahead of them. Will it hold them a few at GE??
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    Peter Murrell re-arrested in SNP investigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68850088
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

Looking at politics and in particular the conservative party it is a complete embarrassment and a GE is urgent

There is no love for Starmer but if I had my way he would be installed in no 10 this summer so we can all move on

I do think Sunak is better than any other conservative option, I believe he is intelligent and doing the right thing economically for the country but he is terrible at politics

I would just add the SNP climb down on climate change targets is unexpected but inevitable and the future of EVs is in doubt with todays falling sales figures in Europe

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Weak-EV-Market-Dragged-Down-European-Car-Sales-in-March.html#:~:text=In the EU, new electric,to 9,750 units last month.

They've done what???

[quick Google]

Daft bastards. And even worse, the Scottish Greens have gone full GDR and are crowing about their new plan to deliver in 2045. No mention of the delay...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

So is yours.
    Indeed. Honestly, there is no need for private profiles on PB given everybody is using an anonymised ID anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 18

Options:

She did write it

Indeed - in 2012:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2012/09/29/monetarists-anonymous

I have no idea whether he said it or not.

Incidentally the famous story about another Rothschild at the London Stock Exchange after the battle of Waterloo has been cancelled.

How times change.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

Popcorn on standby
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

🌳Con 40 (-9)
    🌹Lab 38 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 7 (+5)
    🔶LD 6 (+2)
    🌍Green 5 (-1)
    ⬜️Independent 5 (NEW)

Legendary modesty klaxon.

Did I just not tip this yesterday at 4?
  • Options

Looking at politics and in particular the conservative party it is a complete embarrassment and a GE is urgent

There is no love for Starmer but if I had my way he would be installed in no 10 this summer so we can all move on

I do think Sunak is better than any other conservative option, I believe he is intelligent and doing the right thing economically for the country but he is terrible at politics

I would just add the SNP climb down on climate change targets is unexpected but inevitable and the future of EVs is in doubt with todays falling sales figures in Europe

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Weak-EV-Market-Dragged-Down-European-Car-Sales-in-March.html#:~:text=In the EU, new electric,to 9,750 units last month.

They've done what???

[quick Google]

Daft bastards. And even worse, the Scottish Greens have gone full GDR and are crowing about their new plan to deliver in 2045. No mention of the delay...
    The world of politics gets more bizarre as each day passes
  • Options

The Scottish play becomes funnier.

Please can Nicola not be re-arrested this weekend or Mon to Wed of next week as I have plans/work.
  • Options

Popcorn on standby
    I have some ready for once, to go in the microwave.

I can recommend M&S popping corn, too.
  • Options

🌳Con 40 (-9)
    🌹Lab 38 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 7 (+5)
    🔶LD 6 (+2)
    🌍Green 5 (-1)
    ⬜️Independent 5 (NEW)

Legendary modesty klaxon.

Did I just not tip this yesterday at 4?
    CON GAIN Coventry lunacy. Trembling in Smethwick, diarrhea in Ladywood and Perry Barr
    Andy Street for PM
  • Options

Off topic, but of interest to anyone wondering about US support for Ukraine. Mark Thiessen begins by noting that most of the US aid to Ukraine is being spent in the US, and then gives the details: "With a team of researchers at the American Enterprise Institute, I have catalogued the weapons systems being produced in the United States for Ukraine, identifying the congressional districts where they are being made and how House members voted on the funding. We analyzed contracts and news releases and spoke to defense industry experts, diplomats and Pentagon officials to determine where U.S. tax dollars end up. We found that our military aid is providing a major cash infusion to 122 defense production lines in 65 congressional districts across the country that directly benefits American workers — and that doesn’t count all the suppliers that provide these contractors with parts or all the shops, restaurants and other businesses that support the factories rolling out weapons in these districts."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/18/ukraine-map-districts-weapons/

He is promising a follow-up: "In a forthcoming essay, I will let you know who voted for — and against — defense jobs in their districts."

Sounds fun. Representatives love a bit of pork barrel they can't be criticised for - and can be for voting against.

It's been clear from the outset that US weapons supply to Ukraine has largely involved sending systems approaching obsolescence (or beyond it), and that the largest single item in the aid package (and in the previous one) is to buy new replacements for the US arms inventory.

The most publicly obvious example were the HIMARS missiles with cluster munition warheads, which were otherwise scheduled for destruction.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/18/us-foreign-aid-bills-what-is-speaker-mike-johnson-plan-for-ukraine-and-israel-and-will-congress-pass-them
    ..Aid to Ukraine would total about $61bn, but more than a third of that amount ( around $23bn ) would be dedicated to replenishing weapons and ammunition systems for the US military*.

The $13.8bn provided to Ukraine for the purchase of weapons from the US is roughly the same as the previous Senate bill.

The main difference between the two packages is that the House bill provides more than $9bn in economic assistance to Ukraine in the form of “forgivable loans”. The Senate bill included no such provision seeking repayment..

(*As required by current US law. Though awkward types have been quibbling over the details of the allocation.)
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

It's a scam which is becoming distressingly easy - and evermore effective. Microsoft have just revealed (released?) some voice cloning tech which is ASTONISHING. They can take a few moments of audio, and one photo, and turn it into an almost-entirely-convincing video of you - of anyone - saying what the "user" wants them to say. So you might get completely convincing VIDEO CALLS from, say, one of your children, begging for immediate money or they will die, and are you really going to say No? Are you going to wait and run the video through high-tech fake-detection software?

Honestly, it is terrifying in its implications
    But would you pay £500 per month for protection?

Things have been going downhill since the massification of the internet and the mass 24/7 carrying of microwave trackers.

Here's a Chinese response:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/20/the-last-generation-young-chinese-people-vow-not-to-have-children
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Leon said:

So, from me, YAY

I had a huge problem with it, to the extent that it’s the only reason I voted Leave, but suggested something like this on here the other day
  • Options

Peter Murrell arrested

Nigelb said:

Peter Murrell re-arrested.

Did he escape?
    Repeatedly, apparently.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Please can Nicola not be re-arrested this weekend or Mon to Wed of next week as I have plans/work.
    Any chance of Boris being arrested for something? That’d take the heat off the Murrell/Sturgeons.

Note; it’s just been announced that a former Army officer is to stand against Truss at the GE. No idea for what or why. Yet!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Incredible.

Or complicit.
    My vote goes to the "complicit" option.

Remember that this team was - a few years ago - voted by the Law Society as In-House Team of the Year.

Beer's withering contempt for Williams is quite the spectacle. Williams is a disgrace to his profession. He disgraces us all, I'm sorry to say.
    A similar comment, allowing a fraction more time for practicality, applies to the Business Minister, if he's allowed to stay in post.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Judge struggling to find 12 jurors in the Trump case.

Hoping to start actual trial by Monday but lost two jurors this afternoon.
  • Options
    Well...

Labour destroyed documents that could have revealed Rayner’s living arrangements

Party says selection papers from deputy leader’s candidate application ‘disposed of’ in line with ‘data protection requirements’

Labour destroyed documents that could have revealed where Angela Rayner claimed to be living when she applied to be a parliamentary candidate.

Ms Rayner, the deputy Labour leader, is being investigated by police over claims that she broke electoral law by registering the wrong address as her permanent residence on the electoral register between 2010 and 2015.

She was registered at her own house in Vicarage Road, Stockport, for those five years, while her husband at the time lived about a mile away at a house in Lowndes Lane. They married in 2010.

Neighbours have claimed that she actually lived at Lowndes Lane and that her brother was living in the Vicarage Road property.

Labour has previously said it would not reveal which address she included on internal selection papers in 2014. Now it has emerged that the papers have been “disposed of”, which a Labour spokesman said was carried out in line with data protection laws.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/18/labour-destroyed-key-documents-angela-rayner/
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Options:

She did write it

Indeed - in 2012:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2012/09/29/monetarists-anonymous

I have no idea whether he said it or not.

Incidentally the famous story about another Rothschild at the London Stock Exchange after the battle of Waterloo has been cancelled.

How times change.
    Well at least Truss didn't include that "Benjamin Franklin" quotation about "Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". Somehow one imagines that would appeal to her these days.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    An interesting thread on lithium-ion battery recycling on a large scale.:
    https://twitter.com/tsrandall/status/1780981627872587926

As an aside, there's a large lead-battery recycling place on a hillside in the Peak District. It's there because the area used to be a lead mining area. The mining ended, but the processing continued.
  • Options
    "This is so bizarre," the next potential juror begins, as she starts to answer the questionnaire.

She came to New York with dreams of making it big in theater, but ended up in the legal field.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you may land among the lawyers.

https://twitter.com/TylerMcBrien/status/1780997802769748459
  • Options

Well...

Labour destroyed documents that could have revealed Rayner’s living arrangements

Party says selection papers from deputy leader’s candidate application ‘disposed of’ in line with ‘data protection requirements’

Labour destroyed documents that could have revealed where Angela Rayner claimed to be living when she applied to be a parliamentary candidate.

Ms Rayner, the deputy Labour leader, is being investigated by police over claims that she broke electoral law by registering the wrong address as her permanent residence on the electoral register between 2010 and 2015.

She was registered at her own house in Vicarage Road, Stockport, for those five years, while her husband at the time lived about a mile away at a house in Lowndes Lane. They married in 2010.

Neighbours have claimed that she actually lived at Lowndes Lane and that her brother was living in the Vicarage Road property.

Labour has previously said it would not reveal which address she included on internal selection papers in 2014. Now it has emerged that the papers have been “disposed of”, which a Labour spokesman said was carried out in line with data protection laws.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/18/labour-destroyed-key-documents-angela-rayner/

'Personal data should be kept for no longer than is necessary'

It would appear they have a fair, if convenient, defence.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Any chance of Boris being arrested for something? That’d take the heat off the Murrell/Sturgeons.

Note; it’s just been announced that a former Army officer is to stand against Truss at the GE. No idea for what or why. Yet!
    A local landowner, apparently, former High Sheriff of Norfolk. Objects to the phrase ‘Turnip Taliban’.
  • Options

Well...

Snicker. Memory holes are useful but have a voracious appetite.
  • Options

A local landowner, apparently, former High Sheriff of Norfolk. Objects to the phrase ‘Turnip Taliban’.
    Bagge. He might save his deposit
  • Options

Well...

Difficult to see how such information couldn't be barred from disclosure by the Data Protection Act without Rayner's consent.
  • Options

Well...

The guidance would appear to be on their side.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/data-protection-principles/a-guide-to-the-data-protection-principles/the-principles/storage-limitation/
    At a glance:

You must not keep personal data for longer than you need it.
    You need to think about – and be able to justify – how long you keep personal data. This will depend on your purposes for holding the data.
    You need a policy setting standard retention periods wherever possible, to comply with documentation requirements.
    You should also periodically review the data you hold, and erase or anonymise it when you no longer need it.
    You must carefully consider any challenges to your retention of data. Individuals have a right to erasure if you no longer need the data.
    You can keep personal data for longer if you are only keeping it for public interest archiving, scientific or historical research, or statistical purposes.
  • Options

Well...

Indeed.

They could release her legal/financial advice though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well...

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/data-protection-principles/a-guide-to-the-data-protection-principles/the-principles/storage-limitation/
    At a glance:

You need to think about – and be able to justify – how long you keep personal data. This will depend on your purposes for holding the data.
    You need a policy setting standard retention periods wherever possible, to comply with documentation requirements.
    You should also periodically review the data you hold, and erase or anonymise it when you no longer need it.
    You must carefully consider any challenges to your retention of data. Individuals have a right to erasure if you no longer need the data.
    You can keep personal data for longer if you are only keeping it for public interest archiving, scientific or historical research, or statistical purposes.
    Legitimacy and good fortune are bedfellows this time
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460

Options:

On behalf of pb, I've just spent £10 on the Kindle edition of Liz Truss's book and there is no mention of Rothschild. It is possible the publisher has edited the Kindle version so if anyone wants to spend £22 on the hardback edition, be my guest.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well...

At a glance:

Seems incredible to me that there won’t be something available that states her address from 2010-2014 or whenever it was.
  • Options
    For the Luddites, Apple are awesome, utter lifesaver.

Apple Watch fall detection helps rescue cyclist after crash during downpour

https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/18/apple-watch-fall-detection-helps-rescue-cyclist-after-crash-during-downpour/
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well...

Difficult to see how such information couldn't be barred from disclosure by the Data Protection Act without Rayner's consent.
    Well if it was still extant that choice would no doubt depend on what it said.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

So, from me, YAY

I had a huge problem with it, to the extent that it’s the only reason I voted Leave, but suggested something like this on here the other day
    Not 18-30 though. Perhaps an upper limit of 25 at a push
  • Options

Chris said:

Well...

Personal information, potentially bearing on criminal activity?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Options:

On behalf of pb, I've just spent £10 on the Kindle edition of Liz Truss's book and there is no mention of Rothschild. It is possible the publisher has edited the Kindle version so if anyone wants to spend £22 on the hardback edition, be my guest.
    It appears in the Google Book search

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    edited April 18
    The final poll (lowest government approval by PM) is interesting. It looks like we get steadily harsher and more unhappy with our governments and PMs as we go along?

Amazing that Eden's lowest point (which presumably is around or just after the Suez debacle?) is a reasonably high 31%!

Wonder what accounts for governments/PMs getting more unpopular over time? Increased news/awareness? 24hr rolling news? Or maybe the quality of the politicians?

HMQ started with Sir Winston Churchill and 70 years later ended with Elizabeth Truss. The decline of a nation right there, perhaps?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The final poll (lowest government approval by PM) is interesting. It looks like we get steadily harsher with our governments and PMs as we go along.

Amazing that Eden's lowest point (which presumably is around or just after the Suez debacle) is 31%.

Wonder what accounts for governments/PMs getting more unpopular over time? Increased news/awareness? 24hr rolling news? Or maybe the quality of the politicians?

HMQ started with Sir Winston Churchill and 70 years later ended with Elizabeth Truss. The decline of a nation right there, perhaps?

We were more deferential to PMs then.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

Judge struggling to find 12 jurors in the Trump case.

Hoping to start actual trial by Monday but lost two jurors this afternoon.

They got 7 on the first day of proper jury selection, lost two of those, but called something like 500 people down for potential selection. Even with 50% self selecting out first up they will manage to get 12 jurors and 6 alternates, even if goes in to next week (which many legal people had been predicting in the first place).
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Well...

Personal information, potentially bearing on criminal activity?
    If such information still existed and put an end to the matter it would seem prudent to release it. Ergo it either no longer exists or is not useful in ending the matter would seem right
  • Options
    edited April 18
    The husband of former First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has been re-arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into the finances of the Scottish National Party.
    Peter Murrell, 59, was previously arrested as a suspect on 5 April 2023 before being released without charge.
    He was taken into custody at 09:13 on Thursday and is being questioned by Police Scotland detectives.

• Options

Well...

Indeed.

They could release her legal/financial advice though.
    She could.