Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Understanding Scottish voters – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    edited April 18
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

A Conservative peer laid into the government last night, saying the Tories had triggered their own “demise” by going ahead with Brexit.

Stuart Rose, current chairman of Asda and previously chairman of the official Remain campaign, said the decision to leave the EU when 48% of voters wanted to stay in the trading bloc was a “big mistake”.

Speaking to Sky News’ Sophy Ridge, Lord Rose said: “We are the architects of our own demise. 

“Our own demise started in 2016 when we made the ridiculous vote to come out of Europe. 

“Well, you would say, ‘you’re an old moaning Remoaner, Remainer,’ but of course, I am. 

“But if you look at the stats no one has yet convinced anybody that coming out of Europe was the right thing to do.

“And, you know, by setting the barrier so low at a 50% majority, most of those people – dare I say it – the one or two per cent who got them over the line to get us to do Brexit, have died, because they are mostly older people.”

He said neither business leaders nor young people were happy with the result.

“So we made a big mistake,” Lord Rose continued. “Everything we’ve done since then, apart from the one big factor which no one could have predicted – Covid – has a link back to what we did when we came out on Brexit.”

https://apple.news/ASK3GuMMORkaueA0OdUAMUg

He seems to be forgetting his own part in Remain's downfall.
    In fairness to Rose, he did say later he never had the skills to front the Remain campaign so should never have been appointed. I think Remain missed a big trick by not getting Jeremy Clarkson to do it.
    Alastair Campbell says that not running the back office end of the Remain campaign is his biggest regret.

I think he could have won it. He would at least have assessed the strengths and weaknesses of the Leave campaign dispassionately as a professional, and built the Remain campaign ruthlessly on them.
    New Labour had the chance to hold an EU referendum on the Euro, or on Lisbon.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    Comments are now open on the

New Thread

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

Jim Pickard 🐋
    @PickardJE
    ·
    5s
    the least successful prime minister in history has lunch with the FT, aka the “deep state”

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1780930641070080296

"She laughs a lot during the two hour lunch - although many across the UK and in her party do not see the funny side."

Actually, this is becoming the political equivalent of a Victorian freak show. I'm genuinely worried. Someone needs to make it end.
    The book promotion shite will be over very shortly and then she will be back to being ignored except in the outer reaches of planet whacko National Populist Conservatively Challenged or whatever they are called this week.
    You wrong the lady!

Liz Truss will be enthralling audiences of well-feed, over-paid US business-fakers & corporate hacks, who will no nothing about her except being told she was once (for about 15 minutes or thereabouts) Prime Minister of the (dis)United Kingdom. Which sounds WAY more impressive that it really was.

THEN she will be featured at Trump rallies (at least one) as one of the Great Statespeople of Great Britain. Where, instead of mistaking Nigel Farange for Benny Hill's love child, the MAGA-maniacs will think Liz Truss is a resurrected. rejuvenated Margaret Thatcher.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    edited April 18
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

I read the plot summary of James Joyce's Ulysses on Wiki last night and I thought it sounded deranged.

I've little to no interest in reading the rambling monologues of three individuals who happen to bumble around Dublin on one day in 1904, even if it does contain a handful of great quotes.

It's one book I'm confident I'll never read, and I don't think my life will be any the worse for it.

Ulysses is hard going and not for everyone. I would, however, recommend Dubliners, which has some of the most sublimely beautiful prose you’ll ever encounter.
    Sounds boring. I'm not particularly interested in fiction anyway, unless it's a very good Thriller, so it having some passages of sublimely beautiful prose doesn't attract me.

It's a bit like The Deerhunter, which people banged on for years was one of the best films ever made and a "must see", whereas I thought it awfully tedious and that the director had disappeared up his own arse.

It all gets a bit Emperors New Clothes where everyone knows they are expected to
    like it and appreciate it, so all say they do lest they come across like a philistine.
    Citizen Kane isn’t all that great…

I decided to watch some classics that I had never seen. Citizen Kane was one and I was very disappointed. Nothing special in my opinion. Another was the Godfather and I thought that brilliant.
    But what about Kane compared to other films of its time?
    I enjoy old films, but this did absolutely nothing for me. Ok my expectations were high, but I saw nothing special in it whatsoever. I just don't know what all the fuss was about. As I said, the Godfather, on the other hand, didn't fail to impress, as far as I was concerned. I really enjoyed it. I then watched the following 2 films also and enjoyed them, but not as much as the original. They certainly made me think about human nature. The phrase 'its only business' is now disturbing as far as I am concerned.