Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Sunak still be PM at the general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The state of Britain today:

Hundreds queue at new NHS dental practice in Bristol hoping for treatment

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/05/queue-new-nhs-dental-practice-bristol-st-pauls

I've mentioned this before, but it bears reading by anyone interested who hasn't seen it. Like the lack of public toilets, it's affecting more and more folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/30/pliers-abscesses-and-agonising-pain-britains-dental-crisis-as-seen-from-ae
    Labour should put that picture on their campaign posters.
    Who was it on PB who coined 'enshittification' for the ongoing process of decline? MattW? I'm afraid I forget but it's spot on.
    "Tories aren't drilling or filling."

Except oil or pockets.
    Only their own and their fellow public school mates and the bloke from the pub who does PPE.
    Ha! I'd forgotten the pub landlord story!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

A confused Trump forgets the name of the person interviewing him, appears to refer to Dan Bongino as “Joe”
    https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1754597786786451702

Haley/Pelosi … easily confused, too.

We have another eight-months of this "no, you're more senile than me!' sh*t to look forward to. At least we just have a short useless guy vs a grey mist.
    It isn't strong ground for the Biden campaign; they've been silly to rise (or sink) to Trump's mockery. Trump certainly seems to have some senior moments and be highly prone to stream of consciousness rants. But he has vigour and aggression, and seems fairly fit. Biden by contrast looks and acts like something you'd find in a sarcophagus.

Going aggressive with Trump is always applauded and has just never been a good idea. Wrestling with a pig springs to mind.
    Trump seems mentally more deficient, Biden seems physically more deficient (he may actually be in decent shape for his age, but he looks and sounds his age in a way Trump, at least at his events, does not).
    Is that the case? We've had two recent examples of Trump getting someone's name wrong - the Haley example being a real shitter (calling an interviewer Joe when they're called Dan isn't exactly going to set the world on fire). Biden on the other hand seems to have whole speeches of complete incoherence.
    Anyone claiming that either candidate is fully mentally there is deluded.

Look at Trump in 2014, when he started his campaign last time around. He was extremely sharp and articulate. Whatever you thought about his politics or celebrity, he was clearly extremely switched on.

Trump of 2024 is not like Trump of 2014. And that shouldn't be a surprise. People do a lot of ageing between 68 and 78.

Biden, likewise. Back in 2008, he was a plodding but competent Senator and VP candidate. He navigated the Obama White House fine.

Now he's clearly past his prime. He does have occasional flashes of off the cuff humour that demonstrate he's not completely lost it.

But he's obviously not the same intellect as a decade either.

Sure. But I don't think I'm being unfair (nobody can be truly fair) to say that there is a difference. Trump has aged, possibly a lot. But with Biden, as I've always said, it isn't age, it's infirmity. There's an insistence of people saying 'Biden is showing his age' - he isn't; plenty of others are his age and are fine. The Queen at his age had well over a decade of good reigning in her. He is showing that is in unwell, suffering from a form of dementia, and would benefit from being out of politics to live out his remaining years.
    They are both suffering from cognitive decline, and that's a one way street.

And I doubt there's more than a year between then in terms of travel.

The inevitable debates, which were shockingly poor in 2020, are going to be even more depressing this time around.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

A confused Trump forgets the name of the person interviewing him, appears to refer to Dan Bongino as “Joe”

We have another eight-months of this "no, you're more senile than me!' sh*t to look forward to. At least we just have a short useless guy vs a grey mist.
    It isn't strong ground for the Biden campaign; they've been silly to rise (or sink) to Trump's mockery. Trump certainly seems to have some senior moments and be highly prone to stream of consciousness rants. But he has vigour and aggression, and seems fairly fit. Biden by contrast looks and acts like something you'd find in a sarcophagus.

Going aggressive with Trump is always applauded and has just never been a good idea. Wrestling with a pig springs to mind.
    Trump seems mentally more deficient, Biden seems physically more deficient (he may actually be in decent shape for his age, but he looks and sounds his age in a way Trump, at least at his events, does not).
    Is that the case? We've had two recent examples of Trump getting someone's name wrong - the Haley example being a real shitter (calling an interviewer Joe when they're called Dan isn't exactly going to set the world on fire). Biden on the other hand seems to have whole speeches of complete incoherence.

Look at Trump in 2014, when he started his campaign last time around. He was extremely sharp and articulate. Whatever you thought about his politics or celebrity, he was clearly extremely switched on.

Trump of 2024 is not like Trump of 2014. And that shouldn't be a surprise. People do a lot of ageing between 68 and 78.

Biden, likewise. Back in 2008, he was a plodding but competent Senator and VP candidate. He navigated the Obama White House fine.

Now he's clearly past his prime. He does have occasional flashes of off the cuff humour that demonstrate he's not completely lost it.

Sure. But I don't think I'm being unfair (nobody can be truly fair) to say that there is a difference. Trump has aged, possibly a lot. But with Biden, as I've always said, it isn't age, it's infirmity. There's an insistence of people saying 'Biden is showing his age' - he isn't; plenty of others are his age and are fine. The Queen at his age had well over a decade of good reigning in her. He is showing that is in unwell, suffering from a form of dementia, and would benefit from being out of politics to live out his remaining years.

The inevitable debates, which were shockingly poor in 2020, are going to be even more depressing this time around.
    I think Trump is declining more rapidly, although that may just be wishful thinking.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/05/queue-new-nhs-dental-practice-bristol-st-pauls

I've mentioned this before, but it bears reading by anyone interested who hasn't seen it. Like the lack of public toilets, it's affecting more and more folk.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/30/pliers-abscesses-and-agonising-pain-britains-dental-crisis-as-seen-from-ae
    Who was it on PB who coined 'enshittification' for the ongoing process of decline? MattW? I'm afraid I forget but it's spot on.
    It originated as something to do with the decay in quality of online services, but it also seems a handy descriptor of our process of national decay. Paying more and more to both government and businesses and receiving less and less in return, resulting in a process of ongoing material impoverishment that affects most people bar the usual suspects (owner-occupier pensioners with old-fashioned final salary pension schemes, and the properly rich who just keep getting richer with no effort at all in almost any circumstances.)

Why anyone thinks that this is going to change at all, given that the Labour Party gives itself over entirely to appeasing the City of London and reassuring the olds that the Triple Lock is safe - whilst insisting that there is no money left to pay for anyone or anything else - is quite beyond me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

I think Trump is declining more rapidly, although that may just be wishful thinking.
    He is under more stress, which is weird considering Biden is President after all. All the legal issues and his paper thin skin which means he seems to get furiously enraged even just at people not paying him enough homage may do that.

But I fear he will outlive us all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

He is under more stress, which is weird considering Biden is President after all. All the legal issues and his paper thin skin which means he seems to get furiously enraged even just at people not paying him enough homage may do that.

But I fear he will outlive us all.
    That's the advantage of a Presidential nuclear bunker.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,946
    pigeon said:

Government publishes disability action plan.

LOL.

Meanwhile, DWP hammer the disabled every single day of the week with crap service, appalling tests, mindless hurdles and forms and ridiculous paperwork.

Same as with the plague of collapsing school buildings, the death of NHS dentistry, the implosion of local government and much else besides: it's the near total lack of willingness to fund anything except for the state pension, because the only sections of the electorate who have any leverage, or in whom the politicians have any interest, are 1. The extremely rich (who need tapping periodically for campaign funds) and 2. Wealthy homeowning pensioners, who are the dominant voter bloc and whom nobody dare oppose about anything.

Old people's handouts, low taxes for the rich, house price inflation and the preservation of property wealth: these are the priorities of our useless leaders. They don't care about anyone or anything else.
    pigeon said:

LOL.

Meanwhile, DWP hammer the disabled every single day of the week with crap service, appalling tests, mindless hurdles and forms and ridiculous paperwork.

Same as with the plague of collapsing school buildings, the death of NHS dentistry, the implosion of local government and much else besides: it's the near total lack of willingness to fund anything except for the state pension, because the only sections of the electorate who have any leverage, or in whom the politicians have any interest, are 1. The extremely rich (who need tapping periodically for campaign funds) and 2. Wealthy homeowning pensioners, who are the dominant voter bloc and whom nobody dare oppose about anything.

Old people's handouts, low taxes for the rich, house price inflation and the preservation of property wealth: these are the priorities of our useless leaders. They don't care about anyone or anything else.
    Have you forgotten about the Small Boats? They care about those. In a way.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    REAL question re: Fucker Carlson's upcoming gabfest with Putin, is whether or not he'll ask Mad Vlad comment on ongoing/emerging conspiracy between Joe Biden, Taylor Swift and the National Football League.
  • Options

REAL question re: Fucker Carlson's upcoming gabfest with Putin, is whether or not he'll ask Mad Vlad comment on ongoing/emerging conspiracy between Joe Biden, Taylor Swift and the National Football League.

An evolving conspiracy, since I believe at first it was about her taking down the Chiefs after years of success, and now it is about helping them to win again to take advantage of that.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

"Do you have concerns about getting to see a dentist or doctor? Rishi Sunak doesn't."
    If any of the press had the gumption they'd be checking all over California for Rishi getting private dentistry.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

An evolving conspiracy, since I believe at first it was about her taking down the Chiefs after years of success, and now it is about helping them to win again to take advantage of that.
    The best thing about conspiracies is that they don't require any kind of internal consistency.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited February 5

LOL.

At CA we're seeing a lot of this:

Apply for PIP, declined, appeal, 12 month delay - win the appeal at Tribunal - PIP awarded, DWP request a PIP review a year later, declined, appeal... rinse and repeat.

DWP rely very heavily on claimants not having the strength or the wherewithal to appeal.
    And compare to Scotland, for which these benefits are devolved. We have a much friendly process by design, which means average payments and uptake are higher.

Given the huge increase in spending on these types of benefits across the UK since the pandemic , this might not be entirely sensible from a fiscal POV.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Skin cancer, presumably.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,009

I still can’t get my head around this Taylor Swift thing. What is behind it all? She seems like the most innocuous, bland pop-wallah to me. Makes daft jingles for teenage girls, unless I have somehow missed her being a subversive radical?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

LOL.

At CA we're seeing a lot of this:

Apply for PIP, declined, appeal, 12 month delay - win the appeal at Tribunal - PIP awarded, DWP request a PIP review a year later, declined, appeal... rinse and repeat.

DWP rely very heavily on claimants not having the strength or the wherewithal to appeal.
    And compare to Scotland, for which these benefits are devolved. We have a much friendly process by design, which means average payments and uptake are higher.

Given the huge increase in spending on these types of benefits across the UK since the pandemic , this might not be entirely sensible from a fiscal POV.
    We have the decency to die a good 10yrs earlier though. So a net cost-saving.
  • Options

I still can’t get my head around this Taylor Swift thing. What is behind it all? She seems like the most innocuous, bland pop-wallah to me. Makes daft jingles for teenage girls, unless I have somehow missed her being a subversive radical?
    Has she every eaten pizza? Or ordered that foreign-sounding furniture that was code for child-smuggling? I think we should be told!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

How far loopy-right has williamglenn drifted to be defending Tucker Carlson defending Putin.

True colours, I guess.

We are now on to the fourth or fifth update of the Glennbot. The earlier versions include a left-liberal Eurocrat federalist, a Neobrexiteer rightwinger and several other incarnations. It is a spoof account.
    No, in 2016 he was a rabid europhile, but supported Trump.

People are allowed to be inconsistent.
    Yes, and was a spoof account then, too. A good one, I should add.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips
    ·
    1h
    I mean didn't Rishi Sunak make his money betting on the misery of others? Not sure why he'd stop now.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    edited February 5
    Andy_Cooke said: "From recollection, snow machines only work when the outside temperature is consistently below freezing - which isn't all that frequent and long-lasting around here (Oxfordshire). You'd only be able to run them overnight on a couple of weeks in January or February."

It depends on the temperature and the humidity.
    "To start a snowmaking system a wet-bulb temperature of −2.5 °C (27.5 °F) is required. If the atmospheric humidity is very low, this level can be reached at temperatures slightly above 0 °C (32 °F), but if the air humidity is high, colder temperatures are required. Temperatures around freezing point are referred to as borderline temperatures or limit temperatures."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmaking

Snow machines are sometimes used indoors, where the temperature can be controlled, as it often is for ice skating.

And there are now "dry ski slopes" made from materials that mimic snow:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ski_slope

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    ohnotnow said:

pigeon said:

LOL.

Have you forgotten about the Small Boats? They care about those. In a way.
    That is, as we all appreciate, performative nonsense for the benefit of the reactionary old git vote. Bashing the boat people is a convenient screen for a total disinterest in stemming actual mass immigration, which has several valuable effects for the favoured client groups (most notably in helping to underpin the stratospheric value of the residential housing market, and of rental incomes.)
  • Options

I don't really get why some people however talented, including Taylor, become megastars in the first place (is Beyonce that amazing for instance?), but I really don't get why people would froth at the mouth out of fear that a megastar would come out against their politics. She hasn't even done it yet!

At least wait until then before shitting in fear I'd say.
  • Options

LOL.

Meanwhile, {branch_of_government} hammer the {people_they_theoretically_serve} every single day of the week with crap service, appalling tests, mindless hurdles and forms and ridiculous paperwork.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

Skin cancer, presumably.

Dunno. Would have thought more likely to be something hidden, spotted in his bloods after extensive tests.

Or in his plumbing. Bladder wouldn't be good news.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't really get why some people however talented, including Taylor, become megastars in the first place (is Beyonce that amazing for instance?), but I really don't get why people would froth at the mouth out of fear that a megastar would come out against their politics. She hasn't even done it yet!

Is that what it is? Trump thinks she will endorse Biden but actually she hasn’t endorsed anyone? Utterly crackers
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

LOL.

Meanwhile, {branch_of_government} hammer the {people_they_theoretically_serve} every single day of the week with crap service, appalling tests, mindless hurdles and forms and ridiculous paperwork.
    Or in case of Post Office - {people_that_work_for_them}

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

IanB2 said:

Skin cancer, presumably.

Dunno. Would have thought more likely to be something hidden, spotted in his bloods after extensive tests.

My Dad had bladder cancer in late 2019 and reckons he wouldn’t have even known he had it!
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Has she every eaten pizza? Or ordered that foreign-sounding furniture that was code for child-smuggling? I think we should be told!
    The point about Swift is I think being missed by the media.

It is yet another illustration of how incredibly thin-skinned Donald Trump is.

He literally cannot stand it if someone is against him or argues back or objects or whatever. He can't cope. He has to lash out and start a 'war' etc etc.

Obviously this happens in spades when the person actually has more viewers than he ever will.

But even if his milkman expressed a doubt about him being president we would get tweets saying "NEVER BUY MILK. IT IS POISON. MILKMEN ARE DANGEROUS".
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Spokesman for Starmer: “A LOTO spox said: “Keir oversaw the first ever prosecution of senior members of Al-Qaeda, the jailing of the airline liquid bomb plotters and the deportation of countless terrorists. The PM can only dream of having such a record of serving his country.”

https://x.com/kevinaschofield/status/1754547323831500829
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest at all in the fevered speculation on the specifics of the King's cancer. Pure guesswork anyway, a private matter, and none of my business.

The fucker has had an entire life of privilege and deference from the British state so it's a legit target of morbid curiousity from the slines. See also: Paul's MND on the Street.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

He literally cannot stand it if someone is against him or argues back or objects or whatever. He can't cope. He has to lash out and start a 'war' etc etc.

Obviously this happens in spades when the person actually has more viewers than he ever will.

But even if his milkman expressed a doubt about him being president we would get tweets saying "NEVER BUY MILK. IT IS POISON. MILKMEN ARE DANGEROUS".
    It's why that many people think he is tough is so strange - he's so easy to goad, and he cannot stand even a failure to praise him enough, let alone criticism.

It cannot be denied it has been very effective for him, but tough it is not.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Spokesman for Starmer: “A LOTO spox said: “Keir oversaw the first ever prosecution of senior members of Al-Qaeda, the jailing of the airline liquid bomb plotters and the deportation of countless terrorists. The PM can only dream of having such a record of serving his country.”

https://x.com/kevinaschofield/status/1754547323831500829

And apparently he gave his staff all the credit when things went well, whilst taking full responsibility when things went wrong.

Or so he said.

Doesn’t seem like it in reality though
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Re Tucker Carlson, if the Russians were clever they'd release Evan Gershkovich and give Carlson the kudos of bringing him home.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Is that what it is? Trump thinks she will endorse Biden but actually she hasn’t endorsed anyone? Utterly crackers
    As I understand it the big conspiracy now is she has hooked up with a major Football star in order to appeal more to the (I guess?) more Trump leaning male vote than her own base, and together they will then either endorse Biden or just do a voter registration campaign without endorsing, but it being pretty obvious who she would prefer people vote for.

It's pretty crackers, but the GOP believe far loonier things. Heck, she might even do those things, just not as some vast conspiracy.
  • Options
    edited February 5

ohnotnow said:

Also, judging by how many of his Cabinet have spoken openly about his failings and how he should not be President again I think it is pretty clear a lot of people in US politics thought that sort of thing was an act he put on, that he couldn't possibly be that vain and sensitive, and were stunned to discover that no, he may play it up for the cameras but that really is how he is.

No one there can claim ignorance this time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As I understand it the big conspiracy now is she has hooked up with a major Football star in order to appeal more to the (I guess?) more Trump leaning male vote than her own base, and together they will then either endorse Biden or just do a voter registration campaign without endorsing, but it being pretty obvious who she would prefer people vote for.

It's pretty crackers, but the GOP believe far loonier things. Heck, she might even do those things, just not as some vast conspiracy.
    So Trump is mad at Taylor for dating an NFL player and hypothetically running a voter registration campaign of an indeterminate nature at an undefined point in the future? Okay.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So Trump is mad at Taylor for dating an NFL player and hypothetically running a voter registration campaign of an indeterminate nature at an undefined point in the future? Okay.
    Yes. And Fox News and others have been ranting about Taylor for weeks because of it.

It really does seem like US politics exists solely to make ours look sensible and decent.

Christ, it makes Northern Ireland politics look reasonable.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Ok, I think Netflix are on firmer grounds here than the Cleopatra documentary from the looks of it. It took 8 minutes?

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, look how berserk our right-wingers go over footie players who dare to disagree (the last few years passim, including such things as their objecting to contractors starving schoolchildren). More crackers than a Jacobs Biscuits factory if you ask me.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

DavidL said:

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien

I’m still dumbfounded how easy it was for Putin to coopt the Republican Party through Trump. This is extraordinary. One of the two ruling parties of the most powerful country in the world, doing the bidding of a genocidal dictator. Don’t really know how to process this.

It is truly bizarre. Tucker Carlson is in Moscow and may well be interviewing Putin: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/2/5/2221635/-Tucker-Carlson-goes-to-Moscow-to-root-for-Russia-in-person?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=top_news_slot_1&pm_medium=web

I mean, what the hell? The party of Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan promoting the interests of Russia against those of the United States? It is genuinely incomprehensible.
    Would any major US TV journalist have turned down an interview with the head of the Soviet Communist Party during the Cold War?
    But Walter Cronkite or Dan Rather wouldn't be blowing smoke up Brezhnev's ass now would they?

Tucker on the other hand...
  • Options
    edited February 5
    kle4 said:

Ok, I think Netflix are on firmer grounds here than the Cleopatra documentary from the looks of it. It took 8 minutes?

That long? Just wait till the wokehunters read some more about Hellenic culture, never mind Theban* military history. All those naked gymnasium sessions. Hell, 'gymnasium' *means* 'where you go around in your birthday suit'.

* The Boeotian one, not the Egyptian one. No idea what the latter got up to.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes. And Fox News and others have been ranting about Taylor for weeks because of it.

It really does seem like US politics exists solely to make ours look sensible and decent.

Keen to hear @williamglenn ’s take on Swiftgate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Just wait till the woekhunters read about Hellenic culture, never mind Theban military history.
    Stop. I’m getting all hot and bothered just thinking about it.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

DougSeal said:

Such awful news for our Royal Family and the whole country. 😦

The country has to rally together now. Politics and division has to stop.

The opinion polls sure to show a Rally to the Flag bounce for the Government, exactly the same as when covid broke out.

Indeed. Awful news for the Royal Family and the nation did wonders for Liz Truss’ ratings after all.
    Liz Truss saved the nation from Boris Johnson leading the tributes to HMQ EII.
    It has been reported Boris had been working on his Elizabeth the Great speech years before she died. We were saved from Jacob Rees-Mogg carrying the sword.
    Surely Rees-Mogg's page would have carried it for him?
    ...or his Nanny?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Keen to hear @williamglenn ’s take on Swiftgate.
    You could just ask ChatGPT. I suspect the result will be uncannily accurate.

Spoiler alert: It won't favour T. Swizzle.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,678
    "Kevin Maguire
    @Kevin_Maguire

Two-in-every-five cancer patients urgently referred by a GP do not start treatment within the NHS two-month target.

I wish King Charles a full recovery but there should be no ignoring that many others are not as privileged or fortunate.."

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1754598737005998267
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien

I’m still dumbfounded how easy it was for Putin to coopt the Republican Party through Trump. This is extraordinary. One of the two ruling parties of the most powerful country in the world, doing the bidding of a genocidal dictator. Don’t really know how to process this.

It is truly bizarre. Tucker Carlson is in Moscow and may well be interviewing Putin: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/2/5/2221635/-Tucker-Carlson-goes-to-Moscow-to-root-for-Russia-in-person?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=top_news_slot_1&pm_medium=web

I mean, what the hell? The party of Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan promoting the interests of Russia against those of the United States? It is genuinely incomprehensible.
    Would any major US TV journalist have turned down an interview with the head of the Soviet Communist Party during the Cold War?
    Or indeed Lord Hawhaw's interviews with senior Nazis.
    That is really rather a clever retort.

Just one like! How did it pass the good Burghers of PB by? A deficient historical education or a disturbing sense of humour shortfall.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    As we seem to be talking about disease in the elderly can I add my pennyworth. Just before I set out on my current cruise I was diagnosed with cancer. Luckily it is basal cell carcinoma and I have an appointment fixed up for mid-March for excision.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    slade said:

As we seem to be talking about disease in the elderly can I add my pennyworth. Just before I set out on my current cruise I was diagnosed with cancer. Luckily it is basal cell carcinoma and I have an appointment fixed up for mid-March for excision.

All the best!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    All the best to @Big_G_NorthWales for his operation in the morning. 👍
  • Options
    edited February 6

IanB2 said:

Skin cancer, presumably.

I thought bladder or bowel initially but either of those would see them doing an operation as the first course of treatment, where- as from the statement is sounds like KCIII is going to be have regular treatment as an outpatient which implies either chemo or radiotherapy?

So if it is a tumour, say in his bladder, it's very advanced and not operable (at least without neoadjuvant treatment to shrink it first) or it's perhaps more blood or lymph related as suggested by Dr @Foxy and showed up in his bloods which they would have taken before, during and after his prostate op. If something sinister was spotted in his bloods that would tie in with the extra day he spent in hospital, too.

Either way I have a feeling KCIII is probably a very unwell man, even if he didn't know he was until the past few days
  • Options
    slade said:

If you're going to get cancer, basal cell is one of the best to get as it can't metastasize. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. 👍
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    GIN1138 said:

slade said:

If you're going to get cancer, basal cell is one of the best to get as it can't metastasize. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. 👍
    A friend of mine had it in the back of the neck and was told that, if not treated, it could interfere with the nerves. But generally, yes, it’s not to be worried about.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,678
    To see Nicholas Witchell's first reaction on BBC News, go to 10 mins on this video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001w30x/bbc-news-at-six-05022024
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

slade said:

A friend of mine had it in the back of the neck and was told that, if not treated, it could interfere with the nerves. But generally, yes, it’s not to be worried about.
    Mine is on my chest so the scar will not normally show.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    dr_spyn said:

Nottingham scandal grows. Watch this one kids.

"Millions of pounds strictly intended for council housing and tenants had been wrongly and unlawfully transferred to the authority’s general fund over a series of years."

https://nottstv.com/secret-report-on-nottingham-city-council-finances-describes-missing-millions-and-cash-cow-approach-to-parking-and-roads-fines/

BBC implied that Notts had also taken c. 6 months to answer in brief FOI requests for the full Ernst Young report on finances, obstruction and delay, ruled until Information Commissioner's Office became involved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68211920?
    Point of accuracy, not that I'm overly beloved of Notts county council but it's Nottingham City council, not notts (Nottinghamshire) under the pump here.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Re Tucker Carlson, if the Russians were clever they'd release Evan Gershkovich and give Carlson the kudos of bringing him home.

More likely they're holding him to exchange for Assange.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Deep state, innit ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, look how berserk our right-wingers go over footie players who dare to disagree (the last few years passim, including such things as their objecting to contractors starving schoolchildren). More crackers than a Jacobs Biscuits factory if you ask me.
    I'm just surprised it's not Travis whatsisname they're cancelling, for dating someone who (tepidly) endorsed Biden last time around.
  • Options
    It's very important to him that nothing is done about the border crisis.

Trump says border bill ‘very bad’ for Lankford’s career
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4449600-trump-border-bill-very-bad-lankfords-career/
    Former President Trump on Monday railed against the bipartisan border agreement and took aim at Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.), a key negotiator, for his role in brokering the deal.
    In an interview on “The Dan Bongino Show,” Trump denied endorsing Lankford’s candidacy in 2022 — despite doing so publicly — and did not rule out endorsing a primary opponent when Lankford is up for reelection in 2028.
    “I think this is a very bad bill for his career, especially in Oklahoma,” Trump said about Lankford when asked whether he would back a primary challenge to the senator...
  • Options
    That's a lot of pardons.

Yoon grants special pardons to 450,000, including ex-defense minister, ex-presidential chief of staff
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=368324
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Nigelb said:

So refusing that offer is a win/win. No Carlson and no Assange sounds a fantastic deal.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Hope the King can make a full and speedy recovery.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

So refusing that offer is a win/win. No Carlson and no Assange sounds a fantastic deal.
    Gershkovich for Assange is the likely deal, so there's no good way to achieve your desired result.
    Sadly.
  • Options
    Clearly sad Charles has cancer. But the way the media fawn over it, “public shock” etc is ridiculous. I highly doubt most people even care.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Rishi's 1k bet... he's perfectly entitled to do it, and I doubt he's broken any rules.

But the optics... he's either politically naive or doesn't care about how things look.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409

Clearly sad Charles has cancer. But the way the media fawn over it, “public shock” etc is ridiculous. I highly doubt most people even care.

They probably do care and care or not, it is still a shock. However, you can at least take comfort that searches for prostate cancer symptoms have shot up, and in the coming days, the adequacy of cancer treatment for ordinary people will come under the spotlight.

Where I will agree with you is that news broadcasts quickly become boring as reporters endlessly and repetitively spin out the two or three facts at their disposal. The newsreader tells us what has been announced; the Royal reporter tells us what has been announced and adds that the rest of the RF will be under pressure; the Political editor tells us what has been announced and tells us Sunak tweeted and Starmer tweeted; and so on ad nauseam.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Anyway, only a couple of days before the Supreme Court declare despite being a violent traitor that it's perfectly OK for Trump to run to be President. Arguments coming this Thursday - scheduled for 80 minutes, but likely in the real world to last several hours.

Summary of the main points put forward by both sides here:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/02/supreme-court-to-decide-whether-insurrection-provision-keeps-trump-off-ballot/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686

They probably do care and care or not, it is still a shock. However, you can at least take comfort that searches for prostate cancer symptoms have shot up, and in the coming days, the adequacy of cancer treatment for ordinary people will come under the spotlight.

Where I will agree with you is that news broadcasts quickly become boring as reporters endlessly and repetitively spin out the two or three facts at their disposal. The newsreader tells us what has been announced; the Royal reporter tells us what has been announced and adds that the rest of the RF will be under pressure; the Political editor tells us what has been announced and tells us Sunak tweeted and Starmer tweeted; and so on ad nauseam.
    It does rather bring into focus that about 40% of times the 62 day NHS cancer treatment target is missed.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm just surprised it's not Travis whatsisname they're cancelling, for dating someone who (tepidly) endorsed Biden last time around.
    Would be funny if Swift trolled them by saying 'There's been some speculation about who I will endorse in the presidential election. Obviously, as a woman, now that I am dating a real man, I will wait for him to tell me what to think about things like politics'
  • Options

Rishi's 1k bet... he's perfectly entitled to do it, and I doubt he's broken any rules.

But the optics... he's either politically naive or doesn't care about how things look.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rishi's bet also hides the perhaps more interesting story that he told Piers MPs might in future need bodyguards.
  • Options
    expressing anti-Zionist views is a 'philosophical belief and a protected characteristic' under the 2010 Equality Act
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13049063/Zionist-tribunal-University-Bristol-professor-Islamophobia.html

That was unexpected.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rishi's bet also hides the perhaps more interesting story that he told Piers MPs might in future need bodyguards.
    A way more interesting story - once again lost in a bit of point scoring.

I really don't think Piers is that great a journalist..
  • Options

Cancer is awful. But “public shock?” We need public shock at the absurd notion that people won’t get a pension til they are 71. I don’t say “will have to work”. So many won’t be capable of doing their current job til 71, and if they did there would be major unemployment issues as we don’t have enough jobs. But apart from that it’s a top idea.

Let’s have more public shock aimed at the things we should be shocked about. To arise public anger and thus force political solutions. Old man has cancer shock is not one of them.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The complaint from the SNP was as absurd as the bet itself.

Quite frankly it was not the most embarrassing part of the interview. That was the appalling inference that SKS is a terrorist sympathiser/soft on terrorism.

I worry that the GE campaign will be full of SKS was soft on Savile, SKS is a terrorist sympathiser, and this will have some impact.
  • Options
    A key ally of Liz Truss who was set to speak at the launch of a new right-wing Tory group has pulled out at the 11th hour, saying that he will instead campaign from the “common ground”.

Ranil Jayawardena, who served as environment secretary under Truss, had been billed as one of the four senior speakers when the Popular Conservatism group was announced last month, alongside Truss, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Sir Simon Clarke.

However, he said on Monday: “I won’t be there tomorrow. I’ll keep making the positive case for growth from the common ground of British politics.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-ally-pulls-out-one-day-before-popular-conservatism-launch-363hz6lkn
  • Options
    Taz said:

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The complaint from the SNP was as absurd as the bet itself.

Quite frankly it was not the most embarrassing part of the interview. That was the appalling inference that SKS is a terrorist sympathiser/soft on terrorism.

I worry that the GE campaign will be full of SKS was soft on Savile, SKS is a terrorist sympathiser, and this will have some impact.
    This SNP?

• Options
    The public are not enthused by the prospect of either Rishi Sunak or Sir Keir Starmer as prime minister after the next election, new polling suggests.

Despite a substantial Labour lead of 21 points over the Conservatives, the YouGov survey found less than a quarter of voters would be “delighted” to see Starmer in Downing Street. But even fewer voters are strongly in favour of Sunak, with just 11 per cent saying that they would be delighted if he won, according to new polling by YouGov, undertaken for Times Radio.

Voters were asked a series of key questions on how suitable both men are to run the country, including whether they appear statesmanlike, are able to lead the country in a war and speak like a normal person. In each of these nine questions, “neither” or “don’t know” came out on top, before both Starmer and Sunak...

...The polling showed that Labour is still the most popular party with a significant 21 point lead over the Conservatives on 23 per cent. The Liberal Democrats are on 9 per cent, behind Reform UK on 12 per cent, with the Greens on 6 per cent...

...But the polling hints that a deeper dissatisfaction is also evident among supporters of each of the main political parties. Just over half of people planning to vote Labour (59 per cent) would be delighted by a win for Starmer. For the Conservatives, 57 per cent of those who back the party would be delighted if they win.

Marginally more people (47 per cent) say they are clear about what Sunak stands for than said the same of Starmer (40 per cent).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/election-poll-b9w9c0q9s
  • Options
    edited February 6

Cancer is awful. But “public shock?” We need public shock at the absurd notion that people won’t get a pension til they are 71. I don’t say “will have to work”. So many won’t be capable of doing their current job til 71, and if they did there would be major unemployment issues as we don’t have enough jobs. But apart from that it’s a top idea.

Let’s have more public shock aimed at the things we should be shocked about. To arise public anger and thus force political solutions. Old man has cancer shock is not one of them.
    It is not that they won't get one til 71. That is currently only a proposal from one group. Others are available and the next review will take place up to 2 years into the next parliament.

I rarely agree with Zoe WIlliams but she is right, we need to be more like France on this.

Of course scrapping the triple lock to make it more affordable for future generations, those currently paying, like you and I, does not even come into the mix.

Even if this does not happen the pension age will go up after the next GE. Effectively we work longer to keep the Tories client bases pensions where they are.

Another reason not to vote for them.
  • Options
    The Telegraph's slightly gleeful coverage of the slide of French IT services giant Atos misses the point that as well as powering much of the French state, Atos is also heavily engaged in this here United Kingdom.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/06/unravelling-national-champion-blow-french-prestige/ (£££)
  • Options

A key ally of Liz Truss who was set to speak at the launch of a new right-wing Tory group has pulled out at the 11th hour, saying that he will instead campaign from the “common ground”.

Ranil Jayawardena, who served as environment secretary under Truss, had been billed as one of the four senior speakers when the Popular Conservatism group was announced last month, alongside Truss, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Sir Simon Clarke.

However, he said on Monday: “I won’t be there tomorrow. I’ll keep making the positive case for growth from the common ground of British politics.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-ally-pulls-out-one-day-before-popular-conservatism-launch-363hz6lkn

Popcorn for Popcon.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

This has been the result of instant news unfortunately. Got to fill those schedules and webpages.

I wish the King well. I think people do care, though most probably do not in a deferential way. Cancer has touched the lives of everyone in some way, and most people are aware of the pain, upset and anxiety a diagnosis brings, so there will be a lot who empathise today.
  • Options

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As usual Rishi has a good story to tell and decides to be a prat instead. He’s a muppet.
  • Options
    Recent CNN poll.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/24408299/cnn-poll-most-americans-want-verdict-on-trump-election-subversion-charges-before-2024-vote.pdf
    Three quarters of respondents think Trump would seek to repeal the Affordable Care Act; direct the DOJ to investigate his political rivals; pardon himself of any and all federal crimes; fire any federal workers who oppose his policies; pardon most Jan 6ers.
    Around two thirds of respondents oppose all those things.

And half of respondents say it's essential that verdicts are reached on his indictments before the election. Only 11% say they should be delayed until after the election.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Trump at least has less far to fall.
  • Options
    Calls for the govt to legislate to prevent a "Taxi Tax" which would see a 20% addition to Taxi journeys and the negative impact it would have on the hospitality industry which is already under the cosh.

We certainly go out less than we used to and one of the reasons is the cost of the Taxi home.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/warning-new-taxi-tax-could-lead-to-five-million-fewer-trips-to-restaurants-and-pubs-a-year/ar-BB1hOUaw?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=01dca64159d6481a9c7d0f7d56ec27b2&ei=11
  • Options
    Taz said:

It is not that they won't get one til 71. That is currently only a proposal from one group. Others are available and the next review will take place up to 2 years into the next parliament.

I rarely agree with Zoe WIlliams but she is right, we need to be more like France on this.

Of course scrapping the triple lock to make it more affordable for future generations, those currently paying, like you and I, does not even come into the mix.

Even if this does not happen the pension age will go up after the next GE. Effectively we work longer to keep the Tories client bases pensions where they are.

The triple lock is a red herring. The greater scandal is higher rate tax relief on pension contributions means that those well-off MPs and pundits calling for an end to the triple lock are benefiting twice as much as ordinary people. The better-off can also use salary sacrifice to increase their pension contributions and hence tax relief, reduce income tax and keep child benefits so crucial to families on £100,000 a year.
  • Options

This has been the result of instant news unfortunately. Got to fill those schedules and webpages.

I wish the King well. I think people do care, though most probably do not in a deferential way. Cancer has touched the lives of everyone in some way, and most people are aware of the pain, upset and anxiety a diagnosis brings, so there will be a lot who empathise today.
    ITV news had an hour of it from 6PM last night. Way OTT especially as so little is known.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Taz said:

Calls for the govt to legislate to prevent a "Taxi Tax" which would see a 20% addition to Taxi journeys and the negative impact it would have on the hospitality industry which is already under the cosh.

We certainly go out less than we used to and one of the reasons is the cost of the Taxi home.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/warning-new-taxi-tax-could-lead-to-five-million-fewer-trips-to-restaurants-and-pubs-a-year/ar-BB1hOUaw?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=01dca64159d6481a9c7d0f7d56ec27b2&ei=11

I assume the industry will find a way around this - presumably by making clear that the driver the one who the contract is with, with the firm as an agent/intermediary.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    Two important things to understand about the MAGA Taylor Swift conspiracy:

1. Her football playing boyfriend once did an ad encouraging people to get their COVID jab. This damned him in the eyes of many MAGAts.

2. Swift is richer than Trump (and she made the money herself rather than by inheriting it). This is supremely upsetting and has to be denied.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,981
    Good morning @TSE , did you see the Eurovision news last night?
  • Options

Taz said:

The triple lock is a red herring. The greater scandal is higher rate tax relief on pension contributions means that those well-off MPs and pundits calling for an end to the triple lock are benefiting twice as much as ordinary people. The better-off can also use salary sacrifice to increase their pension contributions and hence tax relief, reduce income tax and keep child benefits so crucial to families on £100,000 a year.
    Triple Lock is not really a red herring, it does need to be reformed/removed, but I do agree about higher rate tax relief needing to be scrapped too. Both need addressing.

The problem with the current approach of just continually increasing the age at which people get the pension is it penalises the poor, the ill and the most vulnerable while preserving benefits for those who do not need them.

Also Labour re-introducing the lifetime cap would be a good thing.
  • Options

This ‘popular conservatism’ is like ‘military intelligence’, right?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Good morning @TSE , did you see the Eurovision news last night?

Mrs Axelrod to present this year's Eurovision?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Good morning everyone!

Can I strike a positive note on cancer? At separate times, I’ve had two diagnosis of cancer; bowel and prostate. And recovered from them both.
    My present inconveniences are the result of something else.

May you make it a hat-trick of recoveries.
This discussion has been closed.