Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How long before re-join the EU becomes a serious movement? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited August 2023 in General
How long before re-join the EU becomes a serious movement? – politicalbetting.com

UK (GB), YouGov poll:EU Membership ReferendumRejoin: 63% (+2)Stay out: 37% (-2)+/- vs. 13-14 July 2023Fieldwork: 8-9 August 2023Sample size: 2,101? https://t.co/7gcpMz8djk pic.twitter.com/JABRkqLtiv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2023
    Test. I do this to ensure that the comments system is working OK
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    The problem for Brexiteers is the growing perception seen in this poll that leaving the EU has had a negative impact on the UK’s financial prospects, especially in comparison to other countries.
    This works now because the Brexiters are in charge of the UK. But then we miss this window and Labour will be in charge, after which either the economy will get better, which releases the pressure, or it'll get worse and people will be mad at Labour as well as Brexit.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited August 2023

This works now because the Brexiters are in charge of the UK. But then we miss this window and Labour will be in charge, after which either the economy will get better, which releases the pressure, or it'll get worse and people will be mad at Labour as well as Brexit.

Or it'll continue stagnating and the deadlock will continue.

I think that's the likeliest outcome for the next few years at least, until the cross-party Brownite tax-and-waste consensus runs out of road, like the similar postwar consensus did in the 1970s.
  • Options
    We can't keep going in and out of the EU every decade or two on a 52-48 referendum. Nor can Scotland keep popping in or out of the union. These things should be decided on something like a minimum of 60-40. If Scotland leaves the Union then it should not be allowed back on a 52-48 vote. And the same for Nirthern Ireland - I would love to see a 32 county United Ireland but I don't know whether it's a good idea on a very narrow vote.
  • Options

We can't keep going in and out of the EU every decade or two on a 52-48 referendum. Nor can Scotland keep popping in or out of the union. These things should be decided on something like a minimum of 60-40. If Scotland leaves the Union then it should not be allowed back on a 52-48 vote. And the same for Nirthern Ireland - I would love to see a 32 county United Ireland but I don't know whether it's a good idea on a very narrow vote.

Don't worry, the next generation isn't going to Brexit again.

If Scotland tried independence and it turned out not to work like they expected it seems sensible to let them reverse it. Government wanting to do something, plus the voters voting for it, is a reasonably high hurdle. The weird thing about Brexit was that the government ran a referendum on something they thought was a stupid idea, but nobody's going to be making that mistake again.
  • Options
    Brexit is done, history now.

I will eat my hat if rejoin the EU ever becomes a serious movement.

There's a world of difference between responding to a prompted poll, and actually bringing up an issue unprompted or taking an issue seriously.

Even the Opposition have moved on from Brexit now. They (quite rightly) don't want the voters blaming Brexit for their ills, they want them blaming the Tories.

When Labour win, Brexit isn't going to magically revive as an issue, because its not one anymore. The Government will have its own priorities, and doing the EU Hokey Cokey and wasting many more years on that is not going to be one of them.

As time goes on Brexit will be forgotten about as an issue. Because it isn't one anymore, anymore than foxhunting is an issue. Its just for the column inches and history books now.
  • Options
    Women's World Cup: Kylie Minogue voices BBC's opening film ahead of England v Australia semi-final

Kylie Minogue voices a special rendition of 'I Should Be So Lucky' to mark England's semi-final match against Australia at the Women's World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66516698

Kick-off 11am.
  • Options

Don't worry, the next generation isn't going to Brexit again.

If Scotland tried independence and it turned out not to work like they expected it seems sensible to let them reverse it. Government wanting to do something, plus the voters voting for it, is a reasonably high hurdle. The weird thing about Brexit was that the government ran a referendum on something they thought was a stupid idea, but nobody's going to be making that mistake again.
    Yes but we have had pro-Brexit Conservative governments and prime ministers since then. Relying on governments not to do stupid things is optimistic.
  • Options
    Going off the last thread, how long before rejoin Leon becomes a serious movement.

#JeSuisLeon
  • Options
    Rejoin? No. Realign and reopen free trade? Yes. Very soon.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    A while - but it's quite likely unless the UK economy is notably successful.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if the LibDems do grasp the nettle ahead if the next election.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Thanks for this Mike.

It's just one of the reasons why the Conservatives are facing a meltdown at the General Election.

I'm currently back to thinking < 100 seats.
  • Options

Going off the last thread, how long before rejoin Leon becomes a serious movement.

#JeSuisLeon

Has he been banned again?
  • Options

There's a world of difference between responding to a prompted poll, and actually bringing up an issue unprompted or taking an issue seriously.

Even the Opposition have moved on from Brexit now. They (quite rightly) don't want the voters blaming Brexit for their ills, they want them blaming the Tories...

There is no difference between those two things, for now.

What happens if the LibDems do go with rejoin, and the next five years under Labour continue to be economically painful ?

Make sure you have a soft hat.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Once people get used to a Labour Gov't that is competent, I see no reason why in, say, their second term they shouldn't raise the idea of rejoining.

They can offer it as a midterm referendum, thus uncoupling themselves from the GE. And by that time c. 7 or 8 years after the Conservatives lost power the latter will probably be back to their senses and trying to regain the middle ground. So there would be plenty of sensible tories campaigning to rejoin.

Brexit was not an economic decision. It was a political one, driven by ideologues on the Right.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

I'm afraid you live in a fantasy or your own echo chamber here.

Brexit is VERY much an issue. I hear people talking about it a LOT. Business people I know are fuming still. I know one guy whose entire business is now all but ruined. And, as Mike says, there's immense annoyance at what it has done to travel.

So I'm afraid if you think this is a non-issue this is wishful thinking on your part, which was of course the whole point of Brexit. It was never driven by people who understand economics but by those who, like Boris, wanted to "fuck business."

We will rejoin. It's 100% inevitable. It's simply a question of when. As you say, you may not live to see it, but be assured it will happen.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    edited August 2023
    Because Brexit is Starmers policy too. Stagnation under Labour will only heighten Rejoin as an issue.

The LD policy for the next GE is clear, Rejoin the SM and other institutions, with the ultimate goal of full Rejoin.

It isn't going away as an issue, though neither major party will support it yet.

• Options
    Heathener said:

#JeSuisLeon

Has he been banned again?
    No no, the latest Svetlana sock puppet seemed obsessed with him before she was banned.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, because Brexit is Starmers policy too. Stagnation under Labour will only heighten it as an issue.

The LD policy for the next GE is clear, Rejoin the SM and other institutions, with the ultimate goal of full Rejoin.

It isn't going away as an issue, though neither major party will support it yet.

The problem for Brexiteers is the growing perception seen in this poll that leaving the EU has had a negative impact on the UK’s financial prospects, especially in comparison to other countries.

I don't think Starmer has a policy on Brexit. He just wants it as a non-issue, that thing in the past which drove a million LLLLLLLLLL voters to go Tory.

Once they have all voted him in, and the true extent of just how fucked those voters have been is made clear, then he can look at options. But even then I think our initial realignment will be driven by delivery of his 5 missions, not because of any relaunched internationalist zeal.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Thanks for this Mike.

It's just one of the reasons why the Conservatives are facing a meltdown at the General Election.

I think < 150 but they are going to reap a whirlwind.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Because Brexit is Starmers policy too. Stagnation under Labour will only heighten Rejoin as an issue.

When you put it like that I start to think Quickie Rejoin could be a thing. KS comes up a bit short, LD require a referendum as a condition for support, KS either gets back in the EU, which he wants, or the UK or EU says no which shuts the box for a bit, which he also wants.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Foxy said:

When you put it like that I start to think Quickie Rejoin could be a thing. KS comes up a bit short, LD require a referendum as a condition for support, KS either gets back in the EU, which he wants, or the UK or EU says no which shuts the box for a bit, which he also wants.
    The EU "problem" was largely caused by successive governments refusing to hold a referendum on deeper membership. Which if theyd done it at he time they most likely would have won. Proposing to go back to a policy which caused Brexit in the first place just means Nigel Farage will be on our screens eternally.

And at some point he will win again.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,565
    edited August 2023

Rejoiners dont know why theyd rejoin, except for a Trump like sulk that they lost an election, they think they should have won.

It's not a mystery. People under the age of 50 want their free movement rights back, and people who believe in conventional economics want the economy to be better.
    Amongst people known to me, I don't see much reduction in movement.

We need a decade from Brexit to see how it beds in.

For me, better market links, such as EFTA, make sense. But re-engaging in the political structures that we have escaped from would be loopy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Rejoiners dont know why theyd rejoin, except for a Trump like sulk that they lost an election, they think they should have won.

Although on these numbers, there are a fair few people suffering Bregret.

Personally, I think the EU/Brexit is used by all and sundry as an excuse.

2015: Britain is struggling with austerity, and wages are below 2008 levels. It's the fault of the EU.
    2023: Britain is struggling to get back to pre-Covid highs. It's the fault of Brexit.
  • Options

It's not a mystery. People under the age of 50 want their free movement rights back, and people who believe in conventional economics want the economy to be better.
    You mean people want the good sruff but to ignore all the bad stuff thatcomes with it,

People want the ability to move but dont want the immigation and higher bills that come with it, the additional pressure on houses, services and infrastructure, Its a trade off.

• Options
    Anyone who believes the Conservatives are going to be sub-150 (or even 100) seats at the next General Election is going to be able to make a killing on the individual seats market.

(On those numbers, the Conservatives would be losing Salisbury and maybe even Stratford-Upon-Avon.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

2015: Britain is struggling with austerity, and wages are below 2008 levels. It's the fault of the EU.
    2023: Britain is struggling to get back to pre-Covid highs. It's the fault of Brexit.
    I agree RCS, our politicians are having a moan and seeking a magic bullet to put things right instead of getting on with the hard graft of putting the economy right.

• Options

You mean people want the good sruff but to ignore all the bad stuff thatcomes with it,

People want the ability to move but dont want the immigation and higher bills that come with it, the additional pressure on houses, services and infrastructure, Its a trade off.

Life's like that: different people have different priorities, and that's OK.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Amongst people known to me, I don't see much reduction in movement.

We need a decade from Brexit to see how it beds in.

For me, better market links, such as EFTA, make sense. But re-engaging in the political structures that we have escaped from would be loopy.
    Indeed: the fudge is relatively easy.

A relationship like the Swiss-EU one, and where there are "soft" restrictions on low-skilled immigration, such as the Swiss have with their healthcare.

Most people would be happy with that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

People want the ability to move but dont want the immigration and higher bills that come with it, the additional pressure on houses, services and infrastructure, Its a trade off.

Ah yes the famous control over immigration the government has attained since leaving the EU
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Life's like that: different people have different priorities, and that's OK.
    Of course, but this simply makes the point I have raised before thtat with 7 years out the population in general have forgotten some of the daft things the EU does to make itself unpopular. We had a glimpse of that when VdL tried to block vaccines during Covid,

A campaign would simply bring this all back in to the public consciousness and shift the numbers more to staying out. Would it be enough to say stay out ? I dont know I still think the thing is finely balanced so couldnt call it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anyone who believes the Conservatives are going to be sub-150 (or even 100) seats at the next General Election is going to be able to make a killing on the individual seats market.

(On those numbers, the Conservatives would be losing Salisbury and maybe even Stratford-Upon-Avon.)

Outer London looks like it'll fare better than average for the Tories due to the unpopularity of Sadiq Khan there.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I agree RCS, our politicians are having a moan and seeking a magic bullet to put things right instead of getting on with the hard graft of putting the economy right.

Reducing trade frictions with our nearest trading nations will help that lot out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Not much market on numbers yet. A very thin one on Smarkets, but even there sub 200 is the lowest band.

I haven't seen any individual seats markets yet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

People want the ability to move but dont want the immigration and higher bills that come with it, the additional pressure on houses, services and infrastructure, Its a trade off.

Ah yes the famous control over immigration the government has attained since leaving the EU
    They havent, theyre still as useless as ever.

Bur then we arent sending ministers to Brussels to discuss how many refugees we have to take because the Germans dont want them. Or how much money we need to send to the Med to help Greece and Italy deal with their boat problem.

So which ever way you look at it immigration is a problem for Europe continent wide and being in or out of a club just determines which tools are available to deal with it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Outer London looks like it'll fare better than average for the Tories due to the unpopularity of Sadiq Khan there.
    Yes, but that is priced into the numbers in the polling. It just means the Tories will do even less well elsewhere.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Reducing trade frictions with our nearest trading nations will help that lot out.
    The best way to improve performance is to be self sufficient in energu and to make more of the things we use on shore.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    Nigelb said:

Even the Opposition have moved on from Brexit now. They (quite rightly) don't want the voters blaming Brexit for their ills, they want them blaming the Tories...

What happens if the LibDems do go with rejoin, and the next five years under Labour continue to be economically painful ?

Jo Swinson tried that in GE2019.

She lost her seat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

To be fair, EU immigration has completely disappeared. And HMG has decided its open season on non-EU migration - no-one else.

The problem is that the economy and NHS (at present) simply wouldn't go anywhere at all without a high level of immigration, and the latter problem isn't as much of a political problem as the former.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

She lost her seat.
    A lot has changed since. The next election will not be a re-run of 2019.
  • Options

It's a question of when, not if.

I cannot wait for Ode To Joy to be our national anthem and a member of the Euro, it will make my job so much easier.

Back in 2016 I did warn you all that the Brexiteers were Juncker's fifth columnists.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-brexiteers-junckers-fifth-columnists/

Der Sieg wird unser sein
  • Options
    The Times are speculating that as part of the reshuffle Kemi Badenoch and Gillian Keegan will have a job swap.

Kemi Badenoch in charge of education is frightening.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,455
    edited August 2023
    Hurrah, inflation down to 6.8% in July, down from 7.9% in June.

Shame it is more than treble the government's target.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

The Times are speculating that as part of the reshuffle Kemi Badenoch and Gillian Keegan will have a job swap.

Kemi Badenoch in charge of education is frightening.

Athough if she actually did something practical to Ofsted, like abolished it out of spite for them rejecting her views, she would have done some good.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

To be fair, EU immigration has completely disappeared. And HMG has decided its open season on non-EU migration - no-one else.

The problem is that the economy and NHS (at present) simply wouldn't go anywhere at all without a high level of immigration, and the latter problem isn't as much of a political problem as the former.
    With high immigation it wasnt going anywhere either. We need a new economic model and the current only works for a minority of people,
  • Options

I cannot wait for Ode To Joy to be our national anthem and a member of the Euro, it will make my job so much easier.

Back in 2016 I did warn you all that the Brexiteers were Juncker's fifth columnists.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-brexiteers-junckers-fifth-columnists/

Der Sieg wird unser sein
    The Brexiteers used to sing das Morgen gehört uns, not anymore.
  • Options
    On topic, we used to get many threads like this about 10-15 years ago - sometimes off the back of high polling scores for Leave - but focused on Ipsos-MORI issues trackers that argued that "no-one cares about Europe".

Now, we seem to have the opposite argument.

Will this be a primary driver of voting intention? And do people really want to go through all this all over again (it would take years) and pay the political price for that? Or is it measuring Bregret/EUostalgia, fatigue, disillusionment with this government and the economy, and some general annoyance?

If it's the latter, and people are realists who know we can't go back to how it was 8-10 years ago and pretend it all never happened, then closer alignment would seem to me to be what happens over time, possibly through some new associate institutional architecture.
  • Options

Der Sieg wird unser sein
    The Brexiteers used to sing das Morgen gehört uns, not anymore.
    morgen ( tomorrow ) not Morgen ( morning )

and since we won morgen is now heute and you are enjoying it as never before.
  • Options
    Family defrauded Royal Mail out of £70m, court told

A family defrauded Royal Mail out of more than £70 million by running a “dishonest scheme to line their own pockets” for more than a decade, a court has been told.

Parmjeet Sandhu, 56, and his nephew Balginder Sandhu, 46, gave misleading declarations about the quantity, weight, class and destination of mail to make money from Royal Mail and other postal services, it is alleged.

From May 2008 to May 2017 the prosecution said the pair — and a third man, Lakhwinder Sekhon, 42, who is not a relation — manipulated docket spreadsheets for “thousands of items” posted through several logistic companies in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire.

The men worked under Narinder Sandhu, Parmjeet Sandhu’s brother, who was the “architect” of the fraud through his company Packpost International Ltd (PPIL) and has already pleaded guilty, the jury was told.

Appearing at Southwark Crown Court, Parmjeet Sandhu, Balginder Sandhu, both of Slough, and Sekhon, 42, of Isleworth, west London were charged with conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Ellis Sareen said: “These men and their companies joined Narinder and PPIL in their fraud and profited from it.

“Businesses who regularly send a lot of mail don’t have to put stamps on their letters or take their parcels to the Post Office. Royal Mail will come with trucks to their premises and pick up their mail from their premises.

“All the business has to do is to log into a section on the Royal Mail’s website and enter accurate figures about the mail they have sent that day. They then get a bill, based on the figures they have entered. It is a self-declaration system.

“Like almost any self-declaration system, it is vulnerable to fraud. The fraud was carried on principally, but not solely, by a company called Packpost International Ltd and its owner and director Narinder Sandhu.”

At one stage Packpost International Ltd, the company owned by Narinder Sandhu, was sending three articulated lorries of post every working day.

“The fraud lasted over ten years and resulted in a loss for Royal Mail and other operators of tens of millions of pounds,” the prosecution said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/family-defrauded-royal-mail-out-of-70m-court-told-c2g9rnv6t
  • Options
    Labour is “breathing down the SNP’s neck” ahead of the next general election despite Humza Yousaf receiving a belated popularity bounce as first minister, a new poll has found.

Sir Keir Starmer, who was campaigning on Tuesday in Rutherglen ahead of October’s bellwether by-election in the seat, will be buoyed by his party narrowing the gap on the nationalists to just four points.

Research by YouGov put the SNP on 36 per cent, down a point since April, when the company last polled voting intentions in the general election. Labour’s vote share increased by four points over the same period to 32 per cent.

Analysis of the results by Sir John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University, suggested these figures would see Starmer win 22 seats in Scotland under the current boundaries. The party has just one at the moment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-snp-general-election-humza-yousaf-03qfhp9bn
  • Options
    Support for independence nudged up to 42 per cent, an increase of three points since April. The proportion of people who said they would vote to retain the Union fell by one point to 44 per cent with 8 per cent undecided, 3 per cent saying they would not vote and 2 per cent refusing to express their view.

However, secession slipped one place to seventh on people’s list of priorities with just 17 per cent of people saying it should be a key aim for the Scottish government. It came behind health, the economy, education, climate change, housing and social care.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

With high immigation it wasnt going anywhere either. We need a new economic model and the current only works for a minority of people,
    We do, but that's a 15-20 year project- at least.

In the short-term I think it really does grind the economy to a halt if NHS/social services can't be staffed, no-one drives lorries, works on farms or in factories and abattoirs.

They are hard jobs for low pay. We don't want to do them. We don't (can't?) want to pay more for them. We don't seem to be willing to do more/fund more on welfare reform to make it more attractive.

So until AI comes along, better skills/education training of our workforce to move into higher end jobs that pay more, which will require investment, or our culture of expectation changes, we're sort of stuck.
  • Options
    The poll also suggested that there would be another pro-independence majority after the next Holyrood election, with the SNP winning 57 seats and the Greens ten. Labour would return 38 MSPs to comfortably overtake the Conservatives whose representation at Holyrood would almost halve, to 16 MSPs. The Liberal Democrats would win eight seats under this scenario.

YouGov interviewed 1,086 people aged 16 and older in Scotland between August 3 and 8.
  • Options

Every silver lining has a cloud.
  • Options

Is that a slightly larger fall than expected ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We do, but that's a 15-20 year project- at least.

In the short-term I think it really does grind the economy to a halt if NHS/social services can't be staffed, no-one drives lorries, works on farms or in factories and abattoirs.

They are hard jobs for low pay. We don't want to do them. We don't (can't?) want to pay more for them. We don't seem to be willing to do more/fund more on welfare reform to make it more attractive.

So until AI comes along, better skills/education training of our workforce to move into higher end jobs that pay more, which will require investment, or our culture of expectation changes, we're sort of stuck.
    We cant really afford the "i dont want to approach" eventually well run out of cash and then well have to,
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,354
    Heathener said:

Thanks for this Mike.

Well you would wouldn't you.... Rational thinking about the Tories eludes you, its just a regular daily dose of bile that leads your thinking.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Our pensions will still go.up a lot....hurrah
  • Options
    "Also the extra hassle for Brits when traveling in Europe is not helping" says OGH.

I've made three trips to Europe in past 18 months and haven't found any hassle. Mobile phone works as in UK at no extra cost; no additional queues at borders etc. The impression I got last week was that the Spanish were tripping over themselves to welcome Brits.

What is driving these polls is anti Conservative feeling; the economic situation and blame everything on Brexit, just as pre-Brexit everything was blamed on EU.
  • Options

Labour is “breathing down the SNP’s neck” ahead of the next general election despite Humza Yousaf receiving a belated popularity bounce as first minister, a new poll has found.

Sir Keir Starmer, who was campaigning on Tuesday in Rutherglen ahead of October’s bellwether by-election in the seat, will be buoyed by his party narrowing the gap on the nationalists to just four points.

Research by YouGov put the SNP on 36 per cent, down a point since April, when the company last polled voting intentions in the general election. Labour’s vote share increased by four points over the same period to 32 per cent.

Analysis of the results by Sir John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University, suggested these figures would see Starmer win 22 seats in Scotland under the current boundaries. The party has just one at the moment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-snp-general-election-humza-yousaf-03qfhp9bn

What fun.. a Lib Lab pact or a lib tory.lab pact to keep the SNP out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

She lost her seat.
    There were plenty of people who wanted to stop it in its tracks before it happened in GE2019, including on this board, as the last chance saloon. Indeed, that's why she adopted it as a policy in the believe she'd reap a strong electoral dividend.

She went backwards. And that's when the choice was Corbyn v. Johnson and there should be have been a big ready market for her.

This simply isn't a primary motivator for most voters and, indeed, could turn them off; "I never want to go through that again" is one of the most common things I hear.

What we're seeing here today is a lot of wishful thinking from the faithfull.
  • Options
    Yousaf may not be useless.

Curtice said that Yousaf has started making progress at winning over voters but pointed out that only 52 per cent of people who voted SNP in 2019 think he is doing well, well behind the levels enjoyed by Nicola Sturgeon when she was in post.

Ross and Anas Sarwar, the Scottish Labour leader, also received boosts. The Scottish Conservative boss increased his score by eight points to -36 while Sarwar became the only party leader to return a positive rating, of +4, after adding seven points to his popularity.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Better than expected. Add in the nominal wage increases yesterday and real pay will now start to grow very sharply but I expect most people will think that they have a lot of catching up to do so the wage pressure on inflation is not going away any time soon.
  • Options

Curtice said that Yousaf has started making progress at winning over voters but pointed out that only 52 per cent of people who voted SNP in 2019 think he is doing well, well behind the levels enjoyed by Nicola Sturgeon when she was in post.

Ross and Anas Sarwar, the Scottish Labour leader, also received boosts. The Scottish Conservative boss increased his score by eight points to -36 while Sarwar became the only party leader to return a positive rating, of +4, after adding seven points to his popularity.

At this rate Stuart Dickson will be popping in
  • Options
    I'll say it again, we have the world's best spies, MI5 and the SIS have no rivals in the world.

Agents of the British state have “captured and controlled” the SNP government after successfully infiltrating the party, a former MSP has claimed.

Campbell Martin, who represented the nationalists at Holyrood and worked in its whips office, alleged that security service assets have risen through the ranks of the SNP to positions where they can shape policy.

Martin, 63, claims the party’s focus on “gender policies” is being pushed by infiltrators in a bid to make it unelectable and discredit the idea of breaking up the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-agents-infiltrated-and-controlled-snp-government-msp-claims-2qtxwcwxd
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, there were stories in the papers at the weekend that the Treasury and BoE were worried inflation would go up last month.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Worth asking what the EU position on this is. What does rejoin look like in practice?

It's a credible possibility. But probably not in a Ctrl+Z sort of way.

And politicians should be wary of complacency. For a long time it was assumed by many (including me) that Remain would win at a canter. Incredibly incompetent campaigning helped to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

The poll also suggested that there would be another pro-independence majority after the next Holyrood election, with the SNP winning 57 seats and the Greens ten. Labour would return 38 MSPs to comfortably overtake the Conservatives whose representation at Holyrood would almost halve, to 16 MSPs. The Liberal Democrats would win eight seats under this scenario.

YouGov interviewed 1,086 people aged 16 and older in Scotland between August 3 and 8.

The Nats are a resilient bunch. I think Labour will probably win Rutherglen, but glad I backed SNP at 16, I think it will be close.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Worth asking what the EU position on this is. What does rejoin look like in practice?

And politicians should be wary of complacency. For a long time it was assumed by many (including me) that Remain would win at a canter. Incredibly incompetent campaigning helped to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It'll be the easiest deal in history, we hold all the cards.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,630

"Also the extra hassle for Brits when traveling in Europe is not helping" says OGH.

I've made three trips to Europe in past 18 months and haven't found any hassle. Mobile phone works as in UK at no extra cost; no additional queues at borders etc. The impression I got last week was that the Spanish were tripping over themselves to welcome Brits.

What is driving these polls is anti Conservative feeling; the economic situation and blame everything on Brexit, just as pre-Brexit everything was blamed on EU.

Is anti-Conservative feeling driving support for rejoin, or is anti-Brexit feeling driving opposition to the Conservatives?
  • Options

My "prediction" (or completely unsubstantiated guess) that Labour might pick up 20 seats from the SNP looks pretty good on that polling.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954

Incredibly incompetent campaigning helped to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The campaign of facts was unable to overcome the avalanche of bullshit from BoZo and Cummings.

Once again you blame the people who didn't want it, advocate it, campaign for it or vote for it, for the ensuing clusterfuck.
  • Options

I'll say it again, we have the world's best spies, MI5 and the SIS have no rivals in the world.

Agents of the British state have “captured and controlled” the SNP government after successfully infiltrating the party, a former MSP has claimed.

Campbell Martin, who represented the nationalists at Holyrood and worked in its whips office, alleged that security service assets have risen through the ranks of the SNP to positions where they can shape policy.

Martin, 63, claims the party’s focus on “gender policies” is being pushed by infiltrators in a bid to make it unelectable and discredit the idea of breaking up the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-agents-infiltrated-and-controlled-snp-government-msp-claims-2qtxwcwxd

So we are saying that Nicola was better at spying than she was at being FM then?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Incredibly incompetent campaigning helped to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The campaign of facts was unable to overcome the avalanche of bullshit from BoZo and Cummings.

Once again you blame the people who didn't want it, advocate it, campaign for it or vote for it, for the ensuing clusterfuck.
    Without in any way wishing to endorse Johnson and Cummings, if you think the Remain campaign was based on 'facts' I have a bridge to sell you.

It was a thoroughly dispiriting and unedifying campaign and totally dishonest on both sides.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

She lost her seat.
    Yep, from the Tory Brexiteers...

I think a strong Rejoin movement is some years away, but anti-Brexit sentiment is going to be a strong driver of the ABC vote next year. Brexit will be an albatross around the neck of the Tory Party for at least another decade.

• Options

Sure, keep telling yourself that.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Heathener said:

Thanks for this Mike.

Well you would wouldn't you.... Rational thinking about the Tories eludes you, its just a regular daily dose of bile that leads your thinking.
    Ha! Pot, kettle etc.
  • Options

Is anti-Conservative feeling driving support for rejoin, or is anti-Brexit feeling driving opposition to the Conservatives?
    Both.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So we are saying that Nicola was better at spying than she was at being FM then?
    Yes.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The complicated part about this is that there's no EU position, there are 28 different EU positions, multiplied by various parliament/senate/president veto points, plus one per EU institution.

I think for them to be resolved in any reasonable timeframe implies one of two schelling points: The standard menu with no special UK exceptions, and ctrl+z. I wouldn't quite rule out a quickie ctrl+z if UK support holds because this isn't just EU housekeeping, it's also *geopolitics*: Brexit seems to have been kind-of a Russian op, the EU is kind-of at war with Russia, the next UK government will probably be less coy than the current one about what it knows about the extent to which Brexit was a Russian op, and uniting to undo a Russian op would be fun.
  • Options
    Stokes to miss out on getting his knee fixed to be in World Cup Squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66512823

Seems a very bad move to me, so he's probably making the smart choice.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sure, keep telling yourself that.
    LOL

I look forward to your manifesto
  • Options

People are being told daily that the UK's poor economic performance is down to Brexit, thus ignoring the fact that our economic performance is no worse than the EU as a whole and much better than, say, Germany. There is a certain irony here in that everything bad got blamed by the Brexit nutters on the EU when we were in and now is blamed on Brexit by the rejoin nutters. Sauce for the goose I suppose but neither are true.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

She lost her seat.
    There were plenty of people who wanted to stop it in its tracks before it happened in GE2019, including on this board, as the last chance saloon. Indeed, that's why she adopted it as a policy in the believe she'd reap a strong electoral dividend.

She went backwards. And that's when the choice was Corbyn v. Johnson and there should be have been a big ready market for her.

This simply isn't a primary motivator for most voters and, indeed, could turn them off; "I never want to go through that again" is one of the most common things I hear.

The polling was the other way around in 2019.
    Wishful thinking from you to pretend otherwise.

Do you think it would hurt the LibDems electorally if they decided to run on rejoin at the next election ?
    I think that's unlikely.

It won't win them the election, and they won't pretend that it will, but it could well win them votes.

• Options
    DavidL said:

His suggestion that senior party figures, right up to cabinet level, have been passing information to the British intelligence services may appear incredible. However, other senior SNP figures have told The Times they believe that MI5 has a longstanding policy of using agents to penetrate and monitor the independence movement.
  • Options
    COVID-19 baby bump in the US: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2222075120
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stokes to miss out on getting his knee fixed to be in World Cup Squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66512823

Seems a very bad move to me, so he's probably making the smart choice.

Watching the hundred last night (ok, I will go to Conhome next (does it still exist?)) seeing the way that both Jacks and Sam Curran played made me seriously wonder if England actually need Stokes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

She lost her seat.

The polling was the other way around in 2019.
    Wishful thinking from you to pretend otherwise.

Do you think it would hurt the LibDems electorally if they decided to run on rejoin at the next election ?
    I think that's unlikely.

It won't win them the election, and they won't pretend that it will, but it could well win them votes.

Indeed, and in 2019 there was a popular majority for parties supporting a further referendum. It was only FPTP that gave a
    Parliamentary majority against.
  • Options
    We’ll probably rejoin at some stage. You cannot fight geography forever. But the EU will look very different when we do. That will be as a result of how it is reorganised in order to accommodate Ukraine. But it won’t happen for many years, like Ukraine joining the EU.

If the Tories want to prevent this, they need to come up with a way to deliver the prosperity that the Leave campaign promised us in 2016. They show no signs of being able to do so currently.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Of course.
    But what if that's still the case in 2028 ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes.
    You've been reading too many of the loons below the line on Wings. They are way funnier than anything at the Fringe, as we established yesterday, but you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

People are being told daily that the UK's poor economic performance is down to Brexit, thus ignoring the fact that our economic performance is no worse than the EU as a whole and much better than, say, Germany. There is a certain irony here in that everything bad got blamed by the Brexit nutters on the EU when we were in and now is blamed on Brexit by the rejoin nutters. Sauce for the goose I suppose but neither are true.
    The UK is not Germany. Whether the German economy is doing worse or better than the UK’s doesn’t tell us whether the UK economy would be doing worse or better were we still in the EU.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course.
    But what if that's still the case in 2028 ?
    And that is really quite likely.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The UK is not Germany. Whether the German economy is doing worse or better than the UK’s doesn’t tell us whether the UK economy would be doing worse or better were we still in the EU.
    Oh I agree but it is pretty difficult to sustain the argument that our economic performance is being damaged by Brexit when we are doing the same as the rest of Europe. Doesn't stop people trying though.

Most of this came from predictions that proved consistently pessimistic but that doesn't stop them either. Will they at some point recognise that Brexit is not in fact having the impact predicted by either side for good or ill and accept that our performance depends upon the quality of our own economic management? I am not holding my breath.
  • Options

Yes.
This discussion has been closed.