Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

No Sh*t, Sherlock! – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Not sure we are going to win the World Cup now 😡
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,266
    I give up. Fuck off Southgate
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,782

0 faith in Southgate’s tactics. Turgid

That's what you need for cup competitions, I'm afraid. See Unai Emery.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Is Southgate even awake?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Way too may corners conceded....

Is Southgate even awake?

It's his players who need to wake up.
    Leon Posts: 28,453
    8:08PM
    The last ten minutes will be England desperately holding out for a 0-0 draw

Way too may corners conceded....

It became obvious the system wasn’t working in the first half. So no idea why it takes so long to change things
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Plucky England holding off the mighty USA.
    edited November 2022
    DavidL said:

Completely O/T but today I was offered and accepted the post of being an Advocate Depute in Scotland. It is a full time post so my days of being an independent advocate are at an end. I am really honoured by the appointment. It is a real responsibility to be a public face of Crown Office in prosecutions but it is also an opportunity to act in the public interest.

I may well have to be even more boring and measured in my comments come January but I am really looking forward to it.

Congrats!
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,770
    DavidL said:

Completely O/T but today I was offered and accepted the post of being an Advocate Depute in Scotland. It is a full time post so my days of being an independent advocate are at an end. I am really honoured by the appointment. It is a real responsibility to be a public face of Crown Office in prosecutions but it is also an opportunity to act in the public interest.

I may well have to be even more boring and measured in my comments come January but I am really looking forward to it.

Congratulations!
    DavidL said:

Gratz!
  • Leon said:

I give up. Fuck off Southgate

Tbf giving up was your default position up until c.4 days ago. Good to see you going back to basics.
    Would say bring on the subs, but that is tempered by Iran scoring twice once we did....
    DavidL said:

Congrats on the appointment.

• DavidL said:

Well done David 👍
    England plunging down the betting

They were second favourite at one point (insanely - this is still a team coached by Gareth Southgate)

Down to fourth and falling. No way this team gets in the Final

Eabhal said:

England have no midfield. Need Henderson on.

Eabhaldamus
  • Not sure we are going to score
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,804
    DavidL said:

Now I know who to go to if I need my advocacy deputed! Hurrah!

Though seriously - congratulations!

Not sure we are going to score

Zero penetration
  • DavidL said:

Meala-naidheachd! Which translates to . . . Mazel tov!

Question - So if (or rather when) a fellow PBer becomes "tired and emotional" anywhere north of the Border, to the point of being "restrained" by the forces of order, we should demand they contact YOU so you can go our bail.

OR better yet, order our immediate and unconditional release, along with due indemnity & compensation for our trouble(s)!
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhaldamus
    I have yet to see a problem to which Henderson is the answer. Surely Foden if England want a win?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

Zero penetration
    It's on ITV. Barely any point even watching. It's not just that England don't get the results, they play much worse.
    I opted to watch the Lego Movie 2 with my younger daughters instead.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    DavidL said:

👍🎉
    Praps they don't want a win after all. They want to come second in the group. Cunning.
    England will get slaughtered by the first real quality team they play. And their much-praised attack has been completely nullified by the team ranked by FIFA at 16
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Zero penetration
    It's on ITV. Barely any point even watching. It's not just that England don't get the results, they play much worse.
    Mind you, no pont watching on BBC either because Lineker's smug face makes me want to put my foot through the telly.
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhaldamus
    I have yet to see a problem to which Henderson is the answer. Surely Foden if England want a win?
    I went to a Liverpool game at St James' a few years ago and you could here him screaming at people all the way through. What England need when it's all a mess like this.

DavidL said:

Question - So if (or rather when) a fellow PBer becomes "tired and emotional" anywhere north of the Border, to the point of being "restrained" by the forces of order, we should demand they contact YOU so you can go our bail.

OR better yet, order our immediate and unconditional release, along with due indemnity & compensation for our trouble(s)!
    Err....
  • Like Spurs, England will win nothing with Kane on the pitch…
    It says everything about this England performance that Harry Maguire has been their best player.
    DavidL said:

It says everything about this England performance that Harry Maguire has been their best player.

England are clueless and harmless
    The subs have been .. odd. Where’s Foden?
    Commentator: the key thing here is that England don't lose this now.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    DavidL said:

Ah. Congratulations.
  • Is Southgate even awake?

He's very woke.
    geoffw said:

Commentator: the key thing here is that England don't lose this now.

As I predicted. We are holding out for a draw, if we can. Against the USA
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,773
    Let's not forget, England has only scored once in three previous competitive fixtures against the US.

England is just performing as they always do against the US.
  • Leon said:

Zero penetration
    Are you talking about the football? Or your personal life?

The subs have been .. odd. Where’s Foden?

Reminds me of the Sven days. Bring Phil Neville on to shore up the midfield defensively, regardless of the situation of the game.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Zero penetration
    Mind you, no pont watching on BBC either because Lineker's smug face makes me want to put my foot through the telly.
    I often don't agree with his trousers but I like him as a broadcaster.
  • DavidL said:

Congratulations David.
    Both sides want the draw
    If it stays like this, England will equal their best ever result against the US.
    Leon said:

Wouldn't say we're desperately holding on.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Wouldn't say we're desperately holding on.
    We are now
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    Rubbish game.
    Pathetic from England
    Boos.
  • Bring on the rugby
  • First time we haven't conceded v USA in World Cup 👍
    Job done. Platform erected. Energy conserved.
    England equal their best ever result against the US. Could we ask for more?
    Curse of ITV strikes again.
  • What has Southgate got against Foden? We need more creativity, everybody on except Foden. Grealish who hasn't played well for Man City in ages on instead of Foden who has been a world beater over the past 2 seasons.
    Also, we've generously left the door open to the Welsh: if they beat us by four, they stand a chance of qualification.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    darkage said:

Why would anyone go in to the police?
    The starting salary in the Met, advertised on tube trains or whatever is under £30k, the minimum wage is now £20k.
    So how are you expected to pay off your student loan, buy a house in the south east, etc?
    Why are you going to expose yourself to so much risk and danger to do such a job?

The minimum wage job doesn't come with a decent pension, nor one that only requires 25 years service to qualify for (most of the rest of the public sector - teachers and nurses etc. have to do 40 years).
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    rcs1000 said:

Let's not forget, England has only scored once in three previous competitive fixtures against the US.

have, are, please.
    Well that's certainly punctured my optimism

England will qualify, scrape a nervy win in the 2nd round, and go out tamely in the quarters

You CAN bookmark this
  • Not sure we are going to score

Surely a sentiment practically every English lad out on a Friday night can relate to :)
  • That game was the polar opposite of Brazil last night.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    Any predictions for Iran vs USA?
  • Bring on the rugby

Bring on Masterchef.
  • Who are PBers supporting in the USA v Iran game?

I think I want Iran to win
  • Andy_JS said:

Tasty game given geo-political tensions....
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    Dismal England performance . Painful to watch and the USA were the better side. I doubt France will be losing any sleep if they do end up meeting them in the QFs if of course England get that far .

rcs1000 said:

have, are, please.
    England is a team, singular.
    Andy_JS said:

That is now set to be a brilliant game. Both sides can go through: Iran or USA. Both will need and want to win

THE SHOWDOWN
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Meh. Really reminiscent of the second group game last year against Scotland.

Almost through to the knockout phase. Can't be too upset by it. Especially with the ITV factor.
  • DavidL said:

So you get to prosecute Nicola Sturgeon if she tries something dodgy in pursuit of Scottish independence?

Congrats by the way.
    edited November 2022
    Was this covered earlier? Another Tory 'hope for the future' can read the writing on the wall.

Dehenna Davison to stand down as Bishop Auckland MP at election

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-63759992
  • Carnyx said:

As one of those who earnestly laboured at Glasgow University some years ago to teach Nicola Sturgeon Scots law, I have to admit that we failed miserably in making our classes on democracy understood. Following this week’s Supreme Court rejection of her government’s plea to be allowed to hold a second independence referendum, she has been pontificating about democracy being denied because our law won’t allow her to keep holding referendums as regularly as she wants.…..

But I take comfort from the words of the traditional Scots legal apprenticeship indenture, where it states that we, the qualified professionals, need only teach the young ones “insofar as they are capable of learning”.

https://www.scottishlegal.com/articles/alistair-bonnington

Given that the relevant legislation didn't exist then ...

The point was about democracy…which he expands upon:

It should be remembered that Scotland has no history of being a democracy at its own hand. The Scots have a clear track record of backing the dictatorial Stuart kings in the War of the Three Kingdoms. They fought against Cromwell’s republican army at Dunbar in 1650 – despite the Lord Protector’s offer of peace if they would just “think again”. Having backed the wrong horse, the Scots then abolished their own corrupt Parliament in 1652 and began returning Scottish MPs to Westminster, only to opt out of that democratic (for its time) system again after 1660. Democracy has always been very much “law from over the Border” for Scotland. Perhaps that history might explain Ms Sturgeon’s failure to grasp what democracy actually means today.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088

You lot have all missed The One Show (featuring a chat with Cliff Richard!!!), followed by a repeat of a documentary about showmen travellers in East Anglia, AND an old episode of Celebrity Antiques Road Trip on BBC2, by the way. I am yet to recover from the excitement.
  • kinabalu said:

Ever thought about going into politics......reminds me of politicians reaction on tv shows during local election counts.
  • After a decade of pandering to an increasingly ineffective Rooney, we are now expected to share in the fantasy that Kane is anywhere near international class…
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

have, are, please.
    That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

have, are, please.
    Well, that's contentious for a start.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Well, at least I can adjust my hopes

This England team isn't getting further than the Quarters

I'm really encouraged that you think that.
    But, I could be using the God given power of THE CURSE OF THE MIGHTY LEONDAMUS to organise the result that benefits my wagers
    Obviously it isn’t going to work if you have bet against yourself. You are only wrong when you mean to be right.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022
    The big problem England have is every time they come up against a team who are highly organised and disciplined they just dont have any idea how to break them down. Its pray for a corner and hope slab head gets on the end of it.
  • I presume this means the status quo on James Corden?
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Err....
    "Fetch me Depute Davey from 'eL! And be quick about it!! Or he'll have your badge AND your bagpipes!!!"
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    I can never reconcile the real achievements of England under Southgate's management with the way they play so badly at times. It's remarkable. A team that is as dismal as this should never have made it to a semi and final.
  • The big problem England have is every time they come up against a team who are highly organised and disciplined they just dont have any idea how to break them down. Its pray for a corner and hope slab head gets on the end of it.

Same as it ever was. We will probably win the group. I don't think Iran will beat USA. We will beat Senegal or Ecuador. Then lose QF.

kinabalu said:

Ever thought about going into politics......reminds me of politicians reaction on tv shows during local election counts.
    I am a skilled reader of international tournament football.
  • I think we're bigger underdogs against SA than we were against NZ

I hope I can watch some of it. I've got three days of post to deliver tomorrow so could be late
  • The big problem England have is every time they come up against a team who are highly organised and disciplined they just dont have any idea how to break them down. Its pray for a corner and hope slab head gets on the end of it.

Same as it ever was. We will probably win the group. I don't think Iran will beat USA. We will beat Senegal or Ecuador. Then lose QF.
    I highly doubt the likes of France and Brazil are losing any sleep over prospect of ever having to play England....
    glw said:

I can never reconcile the real achievements of England under Southgate's management with the way they play so badly at times. It's remarkable. A team that is as dismal as this should never have made it to a semi and final.

Suggests a highly talented squad that is badly coached and often lacking in confidence

Which, we all know, kinda
    pigeon said:

You lot have all missed The One Show (featuring a chat with Cliff Richard!!!), followed by a repeat of a documentary about showmen travellers in East Anglia, AND an old episode of Celebrity Antiques Road Trip on BBC2, by the way. I am yet to recover from the excitement.
    Does he have a Christmas single for us this year?
  • Did Foden f**k Southgate's daughter? Would explain a lot.
    Final whistle has been blown on this thread
  • Put it this way, Cyclefree and myself would have a field day with this.

HSBC froze bank accounts linked to Tory peer Baroness Michelle Mone and her husband Douglas Barrowman during an investigation that examined possible corruption in securing government contracts.

An internal HSBC report, seen by the Financial Times, traces money transferred by PPE Medpro, which received £202mn of government orders for personal protective equipment in the pandemic, to accounts that benefited Barrowman and Mone.

PPE Medpro’s bid to supply the UK government in 2020 was placed in a “high-priority lane” after lobbying from Mone even as she maintained that she had no involvement in the company. Barrowman has also previously denied being an “investor” in PPE Medpro.

HSBC unfroze the accounts in November 2020 after assurances from Barrowman, only to immediately raise fresh red flags over “discrepancies” in information provided by the businessman and his wife, according to its report.

Barrowman assured the bank that neither he nor his wife had any role advising UK government officials on PPE procurement and that Mone had no involvement in the business activities of PPE Medpro, the report says.

However, Mone told the bank that she and Barrowman advised government ministers on procurement and complained that the frozen accounts were damaging PPE Medpro, “indicating [she] may indeed have had an interest” in the supplier, HSBC found.

The Guardian this week first revealed the existence of the HSBC report, including that accounts linked to Mone received profits from PPE Medpro. This article contains new details about HSBC’s findings and the responses from Barrowman and Mone.

• The government came under heavy criticism last year when it emerged that in the early months of the pandemic it had awarded two contracts — for £80mn and £122mn — to PPE Medpro after Mone lobbied then ministers Michael Gove and Lord Theodore Agnew using their personal email addresses.

The largest part of the order, about 25mn surgical gowns, was ultimately deemed unfit for purpose.

The HSBC probe found that £65mn in profits from PPE Medpro were transferred to The Warren Trust, whose beneficial owner was Barrowman and registered in the Isle of Man, £45.8mn of which was then transferred to Barrowman’s personal account.

A sum of £28.8mn was then transferred to The Keristal Trust, whose beneficiaries were Mone and her children, the documents show.

Barrowman said the transfers were made for “tax efficiency reasons” and that he sent money to Mone and her children in “his personal capacity”, the document said.

More than £700,000 was also transferred to the account of Mone’s eldest daughter Rebecca, as well as £3mn to another account Mone held with the private bank Coutts, the report states.

It is not clear from the documents why Barrowman — who has repeatedly distanced himself from PPE Medpro — received or disbursed profits from the company....

...HSBC subsequently dropped the couple as clients, according to people familiar with the matter.

https://www.ft.com/content/147d662b-d492-400d-a07c-c5b336bad6af
  • As an Ignorant (and Ugly) American, am I wrong to think today's match was at least as disappointing for US fans as it was (based on PB commentary) for England fans?

The few times I glanced at the game, USA always appeared to be on the verge of scoring. Yet never did.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Evening all! Totally off topic, of course, I do I asked for a rehab bed closer to my home, then Ipswich and I have been sent 50 miles further south to the banks of the Thames.
    The positive is that I can understand the locals!

For everyone complaining about the England result what about those of us who support Wales?
    Of course, Bale & Co will probably carve the USA to bits!
    Driver said:

Meh. Really reminiscent of the second group game last year against Scotland.

Almost through to the knockout phase. Can't be too upset by it. Especially with the ITV factor.

But England do need to overcome the ITV factor if they arr to ever get anywhere. You simply can't win a tournament if you're terrible every other game.
  • Put it this way, Cyclefree and myself would have a field day with this.

Yourself should learn to refer to yourself with a reflexive pronoun for yourself when it's appropriate for yourself

Otherwise yourself sounds like a moron
This discussion has been closed.