Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson on where LAB stands post confernence and his

Comments

• Options

Like others, I really can't see that Andy Burnham is the answer to any question Labour should be asking itself. There is no doubting, though, that he is very popular in the party, and ultimately that is what will determine the outcome if there is any leadership contest in the near future.

The odd thing is that this comradely affection for Andy Burnham didn't seem to be very evident in the 2010 leadership contest, where he came an ignominious 4th out of 5 and only a touch ahead of Diane Abbott. I rather think the electoral college were right then.

On the question of whether there is any realistic chance of Ed being defenestrated before the GE, I think Henry G is greatly over-stating it with his estimate of 10%; Nick P is closer to the mark with 0%. One thing I'm quite sure about is that there is one person in the Labour Party who has absolutely confidence in the leader's ability - and he's not going voluntarily.

Remembering Hugh Gaitskell and John Smith reminds us that being a Labour opposition leader is unhealthy, so Dr Palmer's 0% prognosis is untenable.
  • Options
    @Isam

Christ. I was only pulling your leg man.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    Socrates said:

There’s a rugby club-type song I recall from the 50’s, one verse of which ran

“My uncle’s a slum missionary
    He’s saving young maidens from sin
    He’ll save you a blonde for a shilling
    My God how the money rolls in!”

Which suggests, as Mr I A reports, that there was indeed widespread knowledge of abuse. Other scout troops scoutmasters were often matters of concern. Never, or at least in only one case of which I’m aware, one’s own, though!

I would have taken the opposite conclusion: that people can only joke about these things in a "wahey" sort of way, if they haven't seen the reality of what abuse is actually like.
    See what you mean. But how about “She was poor but she was honest”? That seems to have some awareness of the reality. Besides which, that was the 50’s and earlier and maybe attitudes were different. We’ve discussed here before whether one can judge actions in the past by the standards of today. Thomas Jefferson is a case in point.
  • Options
    Financier

I'd add to the list:
    The inability of democracies to address fundamental challenges in a sensible / structured / logical / scientific way - because the 'right' answers may not be popular. The challenge of 'I know what to do but not how to get re-elected if I do it'. We may be doomed to a cycle of decadent decline and extinction because it is not politically or electorally possible to deal with gorillas in corners.

In a certain sense the undemocratic nations have an advantage here. China sucks in many ways, for example - but they can decide just to get on with new nuclear or fracking or set economic policy without worrying too much how popular it is. It enables a pragmatic cause and effect approach to policy.

The answer cannot, of course, be to undermine democracy. But it must involve having honest and practical political discourse. Ed's speech and its apparent popularity and Eck's referendum campaign are clear evidence of how very very far away from that we are. It bodes ill.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Socrates said:

"One fancied leadership candidate has already taken to donating sizeable cheques to parliamentary candidates in winnable seats rather than donate directly to the party, which could be seen as an unspoken attempt to purchase future political loyalty and support with MPs."

Who do we think this is?

Ah the founders of the Labour Party would be so proud
  • Options

@Isam

Andy's mum is a seal. His father is Dale Winton. His grandad is Big Bird.

A couple more hours on PB and we'll have the whole family tree.

Andy Burnham is in fact Virgil Tracy. Go to google images for both and see if you can tell the difference!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

There’s a rugby club-type song I recall from the 50’s, one verse of which ran

“My uncle’s a slum missionary
    He’s saving young maidens from sin
    He’ll save you a blonde for a shilling
    My God how the money rolls in!”

Which suggests, as Mr I A reports, that there was indeed widespread knowledge of abuse. Other scout troops scoutmasters were often matters of concern. Never, or at least in only one case of which I’m aware, one’s own, though!

I would have taken the opposite conclusion: that people can only joke about these things in a "wahey" sort of way, if they haven't seen the reality of what abuse is actually like.
    See what you mean. But how about “She was poor but she was honest”? That seems to have some awareness of the reality. Besides which, that was the 50’s and earlier and maybe attitudes were different. We’ve discussed here before whether one can judge actions in the past by the standards of today. Thomas Jefferson is a case in point.
    Thomas Jefferson's rape of his slaves was an evil thing. Just because it was widely accepted by the society that he was in doesn't make it any less evil. Right and wrong are not relative things. If something is cruel to others, it is cruel to others, regardless of what others think.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

@Isam

Andy's mum is a seal. His father is Dale Winton. His grandad is Big Bird.

A couple more hours on PB and we'll have the whole family tree.

Andy Burnham is in fact Virgil Tracy. Go to google images for both and see if you can tell the difference!
    Ha ha! That I can see! :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Given the emphatic loss of primacy in Scotland and almost total lack of progress in Wales, it seems highly improbable that a majority is there for Ed.

Strange state of affairs when Labour's best hope is England.
  • Options
    This week's GE 2015 projection from Stephen Fisher, based on UKPR's latest polling average, shows the Tories and Labour as being neck and neck. Last week's figures are shown in brackets:

Con ............. 299 (-4 seats)
    Lab .............. 297(+5 seats)
    Lib Dems ....... 26 (unchanged)
    Others ........... 28 (-1 seat)

Total ............ 650
  • Options
    UKIP Conference Agenda:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29366275

I raised an eyebrow at today's 17.15 session.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 44s
    Burying bad news alert MT @davidbarrett Passport Office to be abolished, brought into direct ministerial control TMay announces
  • Options
    Great article (email?) Henry.

Yup, Ed Miliband isn't going anywhere. Labour are stuck with him. I'm more interested in the post-election positioning that's already going on, that tells you what the shadow cabinet et al really think about their chances.

The idea that defecting 2010 Lib Dems will carry them over the line is a myth. Labour will lose.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Dan Jukes ‏@DanJukes17 2m
    UKIP Defence Spokesman @Mike_Hookem: The people who deserve a round of applause are the people who serve this country pic.twitter.com/kSjFLhQpUV
    Embedded image permalink
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

The probability of leader change (short of falling under buses) for any party before may isn't 10%, or 5%, or 1%. It's zero.

Foxinsox on last thread expressing doubts on mansion tax:

Do you think Paxo wants his taxes going up? Janet Street Porter clearly does not.

We might LOSE the support of Paxman and Daily Express writer Janet Street-Porter? I want a bottle of what you were having... :-)

A more serious argument against the Mansion Tax is that it is effectively creating a ground rent, charged by the State, in perpetuity, for wholly owned property. This is a new class of tax. How long before it is moving down the scale of wealth? I'm wary myself of the long term consequences of this, although sympathetic to the impulse.
    Exactly, it implies all land is the property of the state rather than the citizenry who have title to it. A radical change in England's long history that undermines property rights that is the foundation of so much.
    I am not a fan of the mansion tax but not understand this argument. Conceptually how does it differfrom CCouncil Tax?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

UKIP Conference Agenda:

that's because your such a little englander Richard, you should get out more ;-)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Never been a militant atheist - more a pretty quiet one until I was about 17yrs old. I hugely resented being told to pray at school and all the stuff that went with it. I developed quite a taste for religious mockery in all its forms and still enjoy it hugely.

TBH, maybe things have changed a lot, but saying you're an atheist these days is hardly even noticed. Back when I was a youngster in the 70s/early 80s it was really frowned on. Like saying you didn't want kids.

I've several very religious/evangelical/baptist friends and wouldn't dream of maligning their beliefs. I make a lot of jokes about how they'll have the last laugh when I'm dragged down to Hell ;^ )

I think Dave Allen is by far one of the cleverest mickey takers in this respect. I loved his stuff. Very fond of Colin Bateman too re Irish sectarianism.
    isam said:

The probability of leader change (short of falling under buses) for any party before may isn't 10%, or 5%, or 1%. It's zero.

Do you think Paxo wants his taxes going up? Janet Street Porter clearly does not.

We might LOSE the support of Paxman and Daily Express writer Janet Street-Porter? I want a bottle of what you were having... :-)

I agree with what you said about religion on the last thread, ie the ugly child.

I was a militant atheist for a while and was definitely of the mindset that childish name calling of something dear to other peoples hearts ( "spaghetti monster" or "sky fairy" ) was oh so clever. Richard Dawkins was a bit of a hero, along with the likes of Dan Dennet, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris.

Now their hectoring tone reminds me of the people who resort to smearing and false accusations on here. Some atheists act as if they deserve a medal for figuring out that the re is no way of proving Gods existence, as if believers didn't know that already.

The same kind of mindset employs the double standard of saying so much of life is not black and white but subtle shades of grey yet being absolutely rigidly black and white on things they have strong opinions about, especially when it allows them to mock those on the other side of the argument (gay marriage is another subject on which I find free thinking liberals are extremely illiberal, opposition to mass immigration is another where refusal to agree with them is license to be called whatever extreme names they choose)
  • Options

UKIP Conference Agenda:

I see your eyebrow.. and I raise you an eyebrow
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

UKIP Defence Spokesman @Mike_Hookem: The people who deserve a round of applause are the people who serve this country pic.twitter.com/kSjFLhQpUV

— Dan Jukes (@DanJukes17) September 26, 2014
  • Options

UKIP Conference Agenda:

that's because your such a little englander Richard, you should get out more ;-)
    Mr McKenzie certainly does!
  • Options

UKIP Conference Agenda:

I'm looking forward to 9.45 tomorrow morning.

• Options

Good point!
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Andy Burnham originally a Blairite has apparently tacked left to boost his support within the party. Ditching your beliefs in order to curry favour is not a trait I admire. For me Mr and Mrs Balls are the obvious choices for Lab as leader and shadow chancellor if they not only want to win GE2015 but also face up to the serious problems on the deficit that they will be their lot afterwards. But a husband and wife team at No 10 and 11 seems unlikely. Now would not be the time for relative novices like Umunna and Reeves. So EdM will remain.
  • Options
    " Labour may still lose a general election some had mistakenly thought would fall in their lap"

Those final words from HenryG must have come as something of a shock to OGH.
  • Options
    Whilst I think Mr Galloway is a dangerous fellow, he's great box office.

His spleen at a panel of US senator types was hilarious viewing. I used to listen to his radio show on TalkSport occasionally and I really can't see why anyone would phone up. He just bludgeons them with soaring rhetoric.
    isam said:

On topic, Burnham is as much of a dud as either Miliband to me. I can't think of any impressive Labour MP, let alone potential leader.

Ed Balls at least has a bit of spunk about him I suppose. Frank Field, Alan Johnson, and Danczuk too.

It doesn't bother me who wins the next election, part of me is still willing Ed to succeed out of a combo of sense of loyalty and feeling sorry for him... But last nights This Week was a long piss take out of him, Andrew Rawnsleys clip about his speech was pretty devastating, he made Ed look an absolute chump of the highest order. I can't imagine him being PM

Galloway destroyed Jacqui Smith on there by the way... I thought she was going to start crying at one point. He has convinced me that we shouldn't go ahead with air strikes on ISIS

• Options

Good point!
    Anyone got a vid - or YouTube link - of his rant on BBC news during the night of the Scottish referendum count?

Hear it was a classic, but never saw it!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Norm said:

Now would not be the time for relative novices like Umunna and Reeves.

What a Dream Team. The Vanity Politician, and a Shadow Finance Minister who's clueless about pensions

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Looks like UKIP want tax at 35% up to £55k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29368838
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    typo in the UKIP conference schedule. Those scallywags at the BBC.

After Douglas Carswell's name they have put "prospective parliamentary candidate" instead of "prospective party leader".
  • Options
    Actually come to think of it UKIP have missed a trick. I see they've got several sessions titled 'Leaving Labour'. They should have got Winston McKenzie to do a wrap-up session titled 'Leaving Labour, the LibDems, Veritas, the Conservatives, Unity and the independents'
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

Think that is a vote winner (if a serious party introduced it).

• Options
    LOL

Actually come to think of it UKIP have missed a trick. I see they've got several sessions titled 'Leaving Labour'. They should have got Winston McKenzie to do a wrap-up session titled 'Leaving Labour, the LibDems, Veritas, the Conservatives, Unity and the independents'

• Options
    edited September 2014

Re bombing ISIS, last night you said that Farage was putting himself on the side of the beheaders by opposing air strikes... I think that's a bit strong, but anyway...

If we bomb them, aren't we going to kill our hostages anyway?

Collateral damage not much better than beheading in my book

Why not pay the ransom, get all our own that are taken hostage back, and leave it at that?
  • Options

This week's GE 2015 projection from Stephen Fisher, based on UKPR's latest polling average, shows the Tories and Labour as being neck and neck. Last week's figures are shown in brackets:

Total ............ 650

That would be a complete mess. With Sinn Fein not taking their seats Con+LD could just about scrape together a majority of 1. Or Lab+LD+SNP could scrape together a tiny majority. Nothing sustainable though. Would have to be Con minority for a few months then a fresh election.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

I think Farage thinks the same

"By pushing for this hard, I would not be surprised if one or more of these parties adopted this line and we helped to shift the agenda."
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, because that would mean giving millions of pounds to fanatical psychopaths whose hobbies include crucifying children, enslaving women and trying to wipe out religious minorities.
  • Options

Mr. Isam, because that would mean giving millions of pounds to fanatical psychopaths whose hobbies include crucifying children, enslaving women and trying to wipe out religious minorities.

So what?

If a family member of yours was in that predicament, and less than 0.01% of your wealth would save their head being chopped off would you refuse on point of principle?
  • Options

And ultimately would increase the number of kidnappings.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Re bombing ISIS, last night you said that Farage was putting himself on the side of the beheaders by opposing air strikes... I think that's a bit strong, but anyway...

Why not pay the ransom, get all our own that are taken hostage back, and leave it at that?

No, I didn't quite say that. I said there's a risk it will look like that, especially since Nigel Farage sounded rather flippant about it (to be fair, he's corrected that in his more recent remarks).

Paying ransoms has historically been ruled out by successive UK governments on the grounds that it encourages more hostage-taking. I think that is, sadly for the hostages and their families, the right policy.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

And sanity?
  • Options

Indeed. Once we start to do it, we'd have to do it every time, and it would just be a very good money-raising strategy for a very evil organisation.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

After Douglas Carswell's name they have put "prospective parliamentary candidate" instead of "prospective party leader".

Almost the only certainty following the election is that UKIP isn't big enough for both Farage and Carswell.

• Options
    Mr. Isam, I'm surprised to hear such an ardent UKIPper advocating appeasement.

The British state should not fund terrorism. I feel sympathy for the families of the kidnapped, and the victims themselves, but Cameron has made absolutely the right call on this.

Mr. Eagles, quite so. If we (using behaviourism as a template) reward bad behaviour, we encourage it, and there will be more.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

A more serious argument against the Mansion Tax is that it is effectively creating a ground rent, charged by the State, in perpetuity, for wholly owned property. This is a new class of tax. How long before it is moving down the scale of wealth? I'm wary myself of the long term consequences of this, although sympathetic to the impulse.
    Exactly, it implies all land is the property of the state rather than the citizenry who have title to it. A radical change in England's long history that undermines property rights that is the foundation of so much.
    Quite agree, good to see the insidious effect of the Mansion Tax proposal is sinking in at last.
  • Options

isam said:

No, I didn't quite say that. I said there's a risk it will look like that, especially since Nigel Farage sounded rather flippant about it (to be fair, he's corrected that in his more recent remarks).

Paying ransoms has historically been ruled out by successive UK governments on the grounds that it encourages more hostage-taking. I think that is, sadly for the hostages and their families, the right policy.
    Well we haven't paid them in the past.. and hostages are still being taken... and killed

So that hasn't worked

Our proposal seems to be to let them be kidnapped, refuse to pay the ransom, then kill them ourselves by bombing ISIL

• Options

Mr. Isam, I'm surprised to hear such an ardent UKIPper advocating appeasement.

The British state should not fund terrorism. I feel sympathy for the families of the kidnapped, and the victims themselves, but Cameron has made absolutely the right call on this.

Mr. Eagles, quite so. If we (using behaviourism as a template) reward bad behaviour, we encourage it, and there will be more.

Well what do you expect from the party led by Farage, supporter of Putin.

Appeasement is a generous term.
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

Quite agree, good to see the insidious effect of the Mansion Tax proposal is sinking in at last.
    Doesn’t much of the "property right” descend from the expropriation of the common land in the 18th C?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

TOPPING said:

Almost the only certainty following the election is that UKIP isn't big enough for both Farage and Carswell.

I'm not sure that I agree actually - My impression of Carswell is that he isn't leadership potential, and unusually for a politician is actually aware of that and is happy being a leading light advocating causes he's passionate about, without actually having to be leader. As I say, just an impression that I get so could easily be wrong...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Indeed. Once we start to do it, we'd have to do it every time, and it would just be a very good money-raising strategy for a very evil organisation.
    Theyre using weapons and machinery paid for by us anyway, why not cut out the middle man?

• Options
    PopulusPolls: Lab 37 (=), Con 33 (=), LD 9 (=), UKIP 13 (+1), Oth 8 (=).
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

I think Farage thinks the same

"By pushing for this hard, I would not be surprised if one or more of these parties adopted this line and we helped to shift the agenda."
    I doubt it will be Labour or the LDs.

Cons more likely to cut the 20p rate - triangulation and all that.
  • Options
    Labour fail to get a conference bounce. Ed is crap etc

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 37 (=), Con 33 (=), LD 9 (=), UKIP 13 (+1), Oth 8 (=). Tables here: http://t.co/7h74tBrXPO
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Theyre using weapons and machinery paid for by us anyway, why not cut out the middle man?

I'm assuming you're making this as a snappy comeback rather than something you've thought through.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not sure that I agree actually - My impression of Carswell is that he isn't leadership potential, and unusually for a politician is actually aware of that and is happy being a leading light advocating causes he's passionate about, without actually having to be leader. As I say, just an impression that I get so could easily be wrong...
    He is certainly ambitious though - hence his ship jumping when the local polls turned nasty.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I'm assuming you're making this as a snappy comeback rather than something you've thought through.
    We cant all be deep thinking know it alls on every subject, apologies.

I am just trying to articulate what I think.. seems mad to me to kill our own hostages, which is what is likely to happen, for the sake of small change
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Great article (email?) Henry.

Yup, Ed Miliband isn't going anywhere. Labour are stuck with him. I'm more interested in the post-election positioning that's already going on, that tells you what the shadow cabinet et al really think about their chances.

The idea that defecting 2010 Lib Dems will carry them over the line is a myth. Labour will lose.

The question is how many "defectors" will really vote Labour when the time comes. Some undoubtedly are basically Labour left wingers temporarily disillusioned by Iraq and its aftermath and voting LD in 2005 and 2010 in protest. They will continue to support Ed. Others might have been caught up in Cleggasm in which case I don't think Lab can rely on them in 2015. Perhaps a few are more motivated by anti Toryism than anything else and have always wanted their preferred party to pull out of coalition hence they're responding to pollsters as Lab voters. Will some of that protest vote fall away as the GE becomes imminent?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Total ............ 650

That would be a complete mess. With Sinn Fein not taking their seats Con+LD could just about scrape together a majority of 1. Or Lab+LD+SNP could scrape together a tiny majority. Nothing sustainable though. Would have to be Con minority for a few months then a fresh election.
    One problem with that is that the small majority would have to repeal the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, which prevents a General Election before May 2020, unless the Government loses a vote of confidence (which it can reverse within 14 days) or if the House resolves "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election”, which must have a two-thrids vote in favour.
  • Options
    Somali pirates seem to make a packet off it.
    Socrates said:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I am just trying to articulate what I think.. seems mad to me to kill our own hostages, which is what is likely to happen, for the sake of small change
    I wasn't being dismissive of you. I just know you're a bright guy that usually makes well-reasoned thoughtful arguments, so the argument that "well arms we're providing to other groups are getting into ISIS hands so there'd be no additional harm in giving them millions directly" seemed out of character.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

It used to be only "small change" for Somali pirates which the ship owners paid. Now it's a multi-million "industry".

Turn your arguments around: surely it is mad to create many more hostages because you hand over money for 1 or 2 now.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I wasn't being dismissive of you. I just know you're a bright guy that usually makes well-reasoned thoughtful arguments, so the argument that "well arms we're providing to other groups are getting into ISIS hands so there'd be no additional harm in giving them millions directly" seemed out of character.
    Maybe I should butt out of this one.. .instinctively I want harm to come to ISIL, and dontcare if they all die, but every time we go into these wars, we get more terrorism and extremism.. and is it really any of or business?

The hostages are going to die if we bomb them or if we don't...if we cant rescue them using the SAS, I would pay for their release & let the USA and other Arab countries continue bombing

• Options
    FPT (Bloomin iPad won't cut'n paste properly post iOS8!):

Some mixed news for Labour in the YOUGOV internals:

Wants the kind of society I want:
    Con: 27 (-)
    Łab: 31 (+4)

Led by people of real ability:
    Con: 22 (-1)
    Łab: 15 (+3)

Leaders prepared to take tough decisions:
    Con: 45 (+1)
    Łab: 12 (+3)

Seems to chop & change all the time:
    Con: 16 (-)
    Łab: 29 (+5)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

There does seem to be a vacancy for a low tax party.

I was disappointed UKIP didn't score higher in the 'cost of living' question in the recent Comres poll. They are the only party advocating lower energy costs, all the other parties want to increase the price of energy.

(p.13 of PDF)
    http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/ITV_News_Index_24th_September_2014.pdf
  • Options
    Joke from a non political friend

It's certainly been a bad week for fruit.

Blackberry's handset sales are down even further, Jason Orange leaves Take That, Apple's latest iPhone update goes pear shaped, and a giant plum forgets part of his speech at the Labour Party Conference.
  • Options
    DLT given a three month suspended sentence.
  • Options
    We had a bit of discussion here yesterday re the £8 Min Wage pledge from EdM during his speech.

This caught my eye in the DT
    Ed Miliband's planned minimum wage rise to £8 by 2020 would actually be 6p lower than the one that is on course to be delivered by the Low Pay Commission Steve Hawkes writes in the Sun, while, Sam Dunn reports in the Mail, his mooted mansion tax would raise less than planned according to the estate agent Savills. They estimate that the mansion tax would hit revenues on stamp duty and inheritance tax as the cost of housing fell, wiping out any revenue increases made by the tax.
    blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/stephenkb/100287806/morning-briefing-its-not-eu-its-me/
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Joke from a non political friend

It's certainly been a bad week for fruit.

Blackberry's handset sales are down even further, Jason Orange leaves Take That, Apple's latest iPhone update goes pear shaped, and a giant plum forgets part of his speech at the Labour Party Conference.

He's more a lemon, than a plum.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    All quiet on the defections front?

Ominous, Carruthers, ominous.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Updated UKPR average
    LAB 36 CON 32 LD 8 UKIP 14 GRN 5
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Maybe I should butt out of this one.. .instinctively I want harm to come to ISIL, and dontcare if they all die, but every time we go into these wars, we get more terrorism and extremism.. and is it really any of or business?

The hostages are going to die if we bomb them or if we don't...if we cant rescue them using the SAS, I would pay for their release & let the USA and other Arab countries continue bombing

I think that paying a ransom would only encourage more hostage-taking.

Our intervention abroad has both been successful on occasions (eg Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone) disastrous (Iraq) or somewhere in between (Afghanistan). IMO ISIL are like the Khmer Rouge of our time, and we should assist the Iraqi government to repel them.

• Options
    JohnO said:

They are waiting until my stint as guest editor ends.

No one wants to be labelled a traitorous pig dog in a PB thread header.
  • Options
    Saw a tiny bit of the Commons debate just now. That arse Hain was seemingly upset that Cameron said (quite rightly) that if urgent action were necessary he [Cameron] would authorise it without addressing the House, but then explain his reasoning to the Commons at the first opportunity.

Hain seemed put out by this, which is really quite odd.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

ISIL are clearly a group that has a deliberate strategy of inflaming anger in the West. They've done it to this point via beheadings and outrageous commandments to the population under their control. Do you really not think they would be willing to commit Lee Rigby style murders in Western cities? Giving them money to secure their power base to enable them to train people with Western passports before sending them back to London, Paris and Washington to do this would be a huge mistake.
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

It used to be only "small change" for Somali pirates which the ship owners paid. Now it's a multi-million "industry".

Turn your arguments around: surely it is mad to create many more hostages because you hand over money for 1 or 2 now.

I am not saying its perfect or there are no downsides

To my minf people who go do gooding in the middle East kind of know what the risks are.. but maybe we should do it once, tell British people not to go there anymore, and draw the line

All I can say is what we have done before didn't work, and it seems to me that is what we are doing again.

3rd time lucky maybe

I am no expert, it seems everyone else on here is, so lets bomb away, and so long Messrs Henning and Cantlie RIP
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

JohnO said:

What odds are available on Peter Bottomley defecting to UKIP?

• Options
    Plato said:

We had a bit of discussion here yesterday re the £8 Min Wage pledge from EdM during his speech.

It was always a soundbite.

- It's six years away
    - It's little more than 3% a year and that will be touch and go in terms of matching inflation
    - There is no mention of the tax free element.

It's often claimed that businesses use tax credits to subsidise wages, but what effect does 20% taxation plus 12% NI have on the wage?

Someone doing 40 hours of work on minimum wage (from 1 OCT) has the value of their wages reduced by nearly £1400 a year by state taxation.

Money in pocket would go up £26.38 a week (£104.31 a month) if the government stood aside.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Slightly less than Ken Clarke I suspect.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I think that paying a ransom would only encourage more hostage-taking.

Our intervention abroad has both been successful on occasions (eg Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone) disastrous (Iraq) or somewhere in between (Afghanistan). IMO ISIL are like the Khmer Rouge of our time, and we should assist the Iraqi government to repel them.

They are taking hostages because they don't want us to take action.

The ransom is neither here nor there - it's not like they are all subsistence farmers in Quetta.

They want to terrorise us into not retaliating.

The ransoms are a red herring.
  • Options
    Wonder if Sunil is off riding the Epping-Ongar railway today - they posted pics of diesel hauled train of Craven's tube stock on facebook. Apparently running all weekend to celebrate the original closure 20 years ago!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Sean_F said:

How much do we have to pay to make him go?

• Options
    Betting tip

Next Labour leader.. look for someone who votes against this motion today
  • Options
    isam said:

Betting tip

That didn't work last time!
  • Options
    From the (as ever) excellent Guardian Live Blog by Andrew Sparrow:

Andrew Bridgen, a Conservative, says this is another case, like the deficit, of the coalition clearing up the mess left by Labour.

Miliband says that intevention does him no credit.

Hard to disagree with Ed M on that one.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2014

Andrew Bridgen, a Conservative, says this is another case, like the deficit, of the coalition clearing up the mess left by Labour.

This is not the time to be partisan, very silly comment for Bridgen to make.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    Why introduce another tax band? Why not simply put the 'threshold' for 40% up by £10k? It would have exactly the same effect, but would cost much less to implement.

Remember: as regards tax, simplification is *always* better.
  • Options

isam said:

Betting tip

That didn't work last time!
    Ha!

Rule out those that do vote for it is what I should have said
  • Options
    Pickles idea has merit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/11122090/Rent-to-Buy-to-help-people-to-build-up-a-deposit.html

Tens of thousands of young people will be able to rent new homes at below-market rates with the opportunity to buy them at the end of their tenancy, Eric Pickles will announce this weekend.
    Housing associations and social landlords will be given £400million worth of cheap loans to build new homes.

Under a new “Rent to Buy” scheme, the associations and landlords will have to rent the new houses out at below market rates – capped at 80 per cent of local market value – for seven years. After this period, people will be given the opportunity to buy the homes.

The policy will be aimed at young people trying to build up a deposit to get on the housing ladder rather than those on benefits. The government claims 10,000 new homes will be built under the plans between 2015 and 2017.
  • Options
    House prices falling - is that good news ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11121726/House-prices-have-finally-started-to-fall-after-two-years.html

""Modest” price drops in the London market are to be expected to follow this month's 0.1pc decline, according to the latest Hometrack report, as buyers reject inflated prices and force vendors to slash their expectations."
  • Options
    Stephen Gallacher and Ian Poilter = The Two Eds
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited September 2014
    TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11121726/House-prices-have-finally-started-to-fall-after-two-years.html

""Modest” price drops in the London market are to be expected to follow this month's 0.1pc decline, according to the latest Hometrack report, as buyers reject inflated prices and force vendors to slash their expectations."

Can't be right.

For the last few years we were spammed here on a daily basis that Osborne was stoking a housing boom
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2014

Plato said:

I can't believe he's been their leader for so long. It's been years now and I'm struggling to think of much that he's actually achieved with his Party bar cheap-seat applause.

I'm beginning to really think Labour would be better off with Gordon in charge instead. And I didn't think I'd EVER say that.

I can't see Miliband going now. It's not like he was amazing for the last three years and suddenly became rubbish (hence the pb catchphrase 'Ed Miliband is crap').

Labour are also rubbish at axing leaders.

And would Miliband make it easy? He would've effectively ended his brother's political career and then failed to even contest the election.

EdM's biggest achievements are that he's kept his party together and secured and retained the support of a quarter to a third of 2010 LDs representing 5-7% of the electorate. While they stay on board it's hard to see any other outcome than an Ed victory.

That was my assumption until today but he just supported re-invading the middle-east. I know it's easier in opposition but can he hold the coalition together while doing that? Clearly the LibDems won't be doing any opposing either but maybe the combination of Green+UKIP+DNV could take a chunk?
  • Options

This is not the time to be partisan, very silly comment for Bridgen to make.

Someone ought to point out that Peter Hain has been equally partisan in his speech. Rambling and incoherent - but also deeply partisan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why introduce another tax band? Why not simply put the 'threshold' for 40% up by £10k? It would have exactly the same effect, but would cost much less to implement.

No extra band, is there?

20 = 20 (starts at £13500 instead of 10000 now)
    40 = 35 (starts at £44000)
    45 = 40 (starts at £55000)

Lowest rate kicks in later than now
    Middle rate is cut
    Top rate is cut.

It's a big tax cutting budget.
  • Options

That was my assumption until today but he just supported re-invading the middle-east.

No he didn't.
  • Options

Saw a tiny bit of the Commons debate just now. That arse Hain was seemingly upset that Cameron said (quite rightly) that if urgent action were necessary he [Cameron] would authorise it without addressing the House, but then explain his reasoning to the Commons at the first opportunity.

Hain seemed put out by this, which is really quite odd.

It renders him ineffective and the truth hurts!
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    TGOHF said:

Pickles idea has merit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/11122090/Rent-to-Buy-to-help-people-to-build-up-a-deposit.html

Tens of thousands of young people will be able to rent new homes at below-market rates with the opportunity to buy them at the end of their tenancy, Eric Pickles will announce this weekend.
    Housing associations and social landlords will be given £400million worth of cheap loans to build new homes.

Under a new “Rent to Buy” scheme, the associations and landlords will have to rent the new houses out at below market rates – capped at 80 per cent of local market value – for seven years. After this period, people will be given the opportunity to buy the homes.

The policy will be aimed at young people trying to build up a deposit to get on the housing ladder rather than those on benefits. The government claims 10,000 new homes will be built under the plans between 2015 and 2017.

Rubbish idea, has no merit at all.

How about this; ease up on the rules and regulations about planning permission.

More houses will be built, they will cost less and the taxpayer will not be £400m poorer.

• Options

Plato said:

I can't believe he's been their leader for so long. It's been years now and I'm struggling to think of much that he's actually achieved with his Party bar cheap-seat applause.

I'm beginning to really think Labour would be better off with Gordon in charge instead. And I didn't think I'd EVER say that.

I can't see Miliband going now. It's not like he was amazing for the last three years and suddenly became rubbish (hence the pb catchphrase 'Ed Miliband is crap').

Labour are also rubbish at axing leaders.

And would Miliband make it easy? He would've effectively ended his brother's political career and then failed to even contest the election.

EdM's biggest achievements are that he's kept his party together and secured and retained the support of a quarter to a third of 2010 LDs representing 5-7% of the electorate. While they stay on board it's hard to see any other outcome than an Ed victory.

That was my assumption until today but he just supported re-invading the middle-east. I know it's easier in opposition but can he hold the coalition together while doing that? Clearly the LibDems won't be doing any opposing either but maybe the combination of Green+UKIP+DNV could take a chunk?
    Bombing some terrorists from the air isn't an invasion.
  • Options
    Tim Aker MEP (@Tim_Aker)
    26/09/2014 11:45
    Today we announced long serving members of our forces will be guaranteed a job in the border force, police or prison service #UKIPConf14
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Because it would affect a different bunch of people?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

TGOHF said:

Can't be right.

For the last few years we were spammed here on a daily basis that Osborne was stoking a housing boom
    A slight readjustment matters little compared to the rises in London in the last 18 months. Stoking a housing boom nationwide is probably virtually impossible but government support for the market might be preventing the proper readjustment that should have taken place post 2008.
This discussion has been closed.