Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Johnson got it right clamping down on home working? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292

Scott_xP said:

This appears to be a major change. Now saying he’ll resign if the police say he breached rules, not just if he’s issued an FPN. https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1526172579958071296

Must be confident he isn't going to even get his wrist slapped.

I honestly though that was going to be the politically convenient fudge for everybody. Plod say looks like there was probably a minor breach, but even if they had known about it at the time, they would have just advised how to ensure better adherence to the rules. Then, Starmer gets to play man of integrity card.
    It could be that he is that that people believe is a rare thing in politicians - a person with genuine integrity. I think you can probably also list Brown, Major and Thatcher, and perhaps Cameron in that list. It is not as rare as apologists for Boris Johnson would like you to believe.
    Brown had integrity. You are having a laugh right. A man who knew nothing about 2 guys sitting right next to him organising disgusting smear campaigns.
    OK, strike him from the list. I was trying to have a bit of balance. Robin Cook then. Ugly fecker, but he had integrity.
    What about his dalliance with Gaynor?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,119
    Breaking: Sinn Fein’s @MaryLouMcDonald says they’ve had a “tough” meeting with the pm and clear that the British govt priority is not getting Stormont up and running. https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1526200658948497408/photo/1

She says “in the mind of Boris Johnson government here in the north” involves placating dup on protocol. “Our absolute dismay” that this is where we are at.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,025

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

I shot down a drone that some arsehole was flying over our property at the weekend so I am fully expecting a visit from the Old Bill at some point. If I disappear it's because the WiFi is shit in HMP Frankland. (MANPADS employed: Adler A110, 24" barrel, #5 steel shot)

Was it hovering or how much did you have to lead it?
    Hovering outside the kitchen fucking window. Mrs DA was out and knows nothing about it. It's going to be a lovely surprise for her.
    Has she not noticed the massive shotgun hole in the shattered kitchen window yet?

Anyway, good on you. What was it doing spying through your kitchen window. ****. 'em!
    I reckon it's some sort of semi-sophisticated rural burglary operation. Flying ISTAR missions to look for quad bikes, etc. to nick.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Scott_xP said:

This appears to be a major change. Now saying he’ll resign if the police say he breached rules, not just if he’s issued an FPN. https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1526172579958071296

I honestly though that was going to be the politically convenient fudge for everybody. Plod say looks like there was probably a minor breach, but even if they had known about it at the time, they would have just advised how to ensure better adherence to the rules. Then, Starmer gets to play man of integrity card.
    It could be that he is that that people believe is a rare thing in politicians - a person with genuine integrity. I think you can probably also list Brown, Major and Thatcher, and perhaps Cameron in that list. It is not as rare as apologists for Boris Johnson would like you to believe.
    Brown had integrity. You are having a laugh right. A man who knew nothing about 2 guys sitting right next to him organising disgusting smear campaigns.
    OK, strike him from the list. I was trying to have a bit of balance. Robin Cook then. Ugly fecker, but he had integrity.
    Alan Johnson is the obvious example.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic but am soo excited!

The first of my Himalayan poppies has flowered. Look at that exquisite blue. And there are more about to flower.

Plus the geums and clematis are really showing off.

Another reason to WFH. Nothing gives more joy than walking round your own garden in the sunshine - on a tea-break from work.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,555

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Apologies if I'm getting my scandals mixed up, but surely that won't wash since, I believe, plod were there?
    Yes. Security detail were at Partygate and Beergate. No one can get away with lying.

Except possibly the police.

“ looks like there was probably a minor breach, but even if they had known about it at the time, they would have just advised how to ensure better adherence to the rules.”

so what you thinking was the minor breach? Rules for mixing indoors not same as partygate, all they need to at currygate is isay they worked through takeaway and on afterwards, they don’t even have to prove it, it had to be proved they didn’t - sounds like they did or they didn’t, what can be a minor breach of those rules? Not keeping two poppadoms apart?
    It had to be reasonably necessary for work. They could, for example, have given everyone an hour to go to a takeout or eat alone outdoors at a pub etc. Inconvenient, but that's what the rest of us were stuck with.
    Hence they needed to be doing something as part of the 15 person meal workwise that required them to all be there.
    'It wouldn't have made sense to all go off on our own' is not an excuse.
    Which is the point- the rules he eagerly supported were complete bollocks
    Still doesn’t answer the question though, what exactly are you proving they did wrong, even for just an advisory note?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,075

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Government transparency latest. Cabinet Office refuses to reveal cost of taxpayer of "custom built" wardrobe in former Johnson aide's office.

Top scoop by @SophiaSleigh

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cabinet-office-refuses-to-reveal-price-of-custom-built-wardrobe-for-ex-johnson-aide_uk_624c3061e4b068157f7c4540

“Scoop” 😂😂😂😂
    I'm unable to report facts or figures, I'm a newshound!

I have a scoop - the cabinet office have not confirmed to me the price or colour of Boris Johnson's pants and whether they are tax payer funded
    If, as you imply, the wardrobe is unimportant, why is the government set on keeping it secret?
    I mean the story is already out. A custom built wardrobe was put in overnight. It's not going to be millions of public funds.
    Huff are hoping for a figure so they can do a full pearl clutch piece. They dont care what the figure is.
    Without a figure we can imagine all sorts going on. Just release the figure, not make it the Secret Wardobe scandal.
    I suppose the calculation is who exactly is going to be wasting much spleen venting on the great wardrobe Profumo affair, so they can afford to irritate the Huff
    Narniagate as Blanche said, there is something obviously special about this wardrobe. It’s had a portal installed, probably to the off license.
    Party wardrobe. Custom party out of touch food bank gate.
    Huff are on to them.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

I shot down a drone that some arsehole was flying over our property at the weekend so I am fully expecting a visit from the Old Bill at some point. If I disappear it's because the WiFi is shit in HMP Frankland. (MANPADS employed: Adler A110, 24" barrel, #5 steel shot)

Was it hovering or how much did you have to lead it?
    Hovering outside the kitchen fucking window. Mrs DA was out and knows nothing about it. It's going to be a lovely surprise for her.
    Has she not noticed the massive shotgun hole in the shattered kitchen window yet?

Anyway, good on you. What was it doing spying through your kitchen window. ****. 'em!
    I reckon it's some sort of semi-sophisticated rural burglary operation. Flying ISTAR missions to look for quad bikes, etc. to nick.
    Well shooting to he ****** down should be viewed as a civic duty, public service. Good work!
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Government transparency latest. Cabinet Office refuses to reveal cost of taxpayer of "custom built" wardrobe in former Johnson aide's office.

Top scoop by @SophiaSleigh

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cabinet-office-refuses-to-reveal-price-of-custom-built-wardrobe-for-ex-johnson-aide_uk_624c3061e4b068157f7c4540

“Scoop” 😂😂😂😂
    I'm unable to report facts or figures, I'm a newshound!

I have a scoop - the cabinet office have not confirmed to me the price or colour of Boris Johnson's pants and whether they are tax payer funded
    If, as you imply, the wardrobe is unimportant, why is the government set on keeping it secret?
    Wardrobegate. We demand answers.

First question. If they simply answered surely it would be a brief story quickly forgotten - by not answering the fools have erected a huge sign - LOOK HERE, LOOK AT THIS,
    I saw a man pushing a lion and a witch into a wardrobe. I asked him what he was doing, he said "Narnia business".
    Fantastic. 😀
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Amusing, but I suspect that will be their excuse to revoke your shotgun certificate.
    We've all seen footage of those drones dropping bombs in Ukraine. I was acting in self defence, your honour....
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Apologies if I'm getting my scandals mixed up, but surely that won't wash since, I believe, plod were there?
    Yes. Security detail were at Partygate and Beergate. No one can get away with lying.

“ looks like there was probably a minor breach, but even if they had known about it at the time, they would have just advised how to ensure better adherence to the rules.”

so what you thinking was the minor breach? Rules for mixing indoors not same as partygate, all they need to at currygate is isay they worked through takeaway and on afterwards, they don’t even have to prove it, it had to be proved they didn’t - sounds like they did or they didn’t, what can be a minor breach of those rules? Not keeping two poppadoms apart?
    It had to be reasonably necessary for work. They could, for example, have given everyone an hour to go to a takeout or eat alone outdoors at a pub etc. Inconvenient, but that's what the rest of us were stuck with.
    Hence they needed to be doing something as part of the 15 person meal workwise that required them to all be there.
    Still doesn’t answer the question though, what exactly are you proving they did wrong, even for just an advisory note?
    They need to show the meal and being 'gathered together we 15' was reasonably necessary for work purposes, or rather the police merely need to say they do not believe it was and a breach of the guidelines and law, technical or otherwise, has occurred

Edit - 15 people were not allowed to eat together indoors except where reasonably necessary for work. 15 people did, the onus is on them to show it was reasonably necessary
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Scott_xP said:

What about his dalliance with Gaynor?
    Forgotten about that. Power is a strange aphrodisiac. You would think it impossible for Robin Cook or John Prescott to find anyone to have a dalliance with, but apparently not.
  • Options
    Goldman Sachs to offer senior staff unlimited holiday
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61465605

But the dogs bodies down the chain, no extra days off for you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

When I was there, management always used to say that it was a better motivator to offer "aspirational pay". That is, people would work harder now for the opportunity to earn more money when they were more senior.

I was never completely convinced by the theory.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking: Sinn Fein’s @MaryLouMcDonald says they’ve had a “tough” meeting with the pm and clear that the British govt priority is not getting Stormont up and running. https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1526200658948497408/photo/1

She says “in the mind of Boris Johnson government here in the north” involves placating dup on protocol. “Our absolute dismay” that this is where we are at.

It is touch and go as to whether Corbyn would have been a worse Prime Minister, and he was a solid 0/10 rating for the role.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

When I was there, management always used to say that it was a better motivator to offer "aspirational pay". That is, people would work harder now for the opportunity to earn more money when they were more senior.

I was never completely convinced by the theory.
    Sounds like the drug dealer economy....corner boy on minimum wage, keeping them keen.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited May 2022

"Unlimited Holiday" as long as you don't take any...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    The Russian 'Lib Dems' ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1526200298343129090
    On April 20, Russian MP from the Liberal-Democratic Party Sergey Leonov suggested forcing the Ukrainian POWs to donate their blood.

His exact framing is very interesting:

"There is an offer for the Ukrainian POWs to become the compulsory (в обязательном порядке) blood donors"
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,532
    edited May 2022
    Foaming, madcap, swivel-eyed Remoanerism from the *checks notes* Associate Editor of the Daily Telegraph.

The FT article Warner’s commenting on, by Andrew Posen, is decidedly more punchy in tone than Warner’s tweet. I referenced a blog post pointing out the economic damage of Brexit a couple of weeks ago that was in turn referencing Posen, and got a scolding from Leon for my lack of understanding of economics.

Well, I happily concede I don’t understand economics. But I also don’t distrust experts. If the FT are happy to publish Posen and a senior member of staff from the DT agrees with the argument, that’s good enough for me.

• Options

It is touch and go as to whether Corbyn would have been a worse Prime Minister, and he was a solid 0/10 rating for the role.

BoZo really is going to have "breakup of the UK" as his legacy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

On April 20, Russian MP from the Liberal-Democratic Party Sergey Leonov suggested forcing the Ukrainian POWs to donate their blood.

"There is an offer for the Ukrainian POWs to become the compulsory (в обязательном порядке) blood donors"

Turns out Vampire Ed Davey was evil's kingpin
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881
    edited May 2022

Foaming, madcap, swivel-eyed Remoanerism from the *checks notes* Associate Editor of the Daily Telegraph.

The FT article Warner’s commenting on, by Andrew Posen, is decidedly more punchy in tone than Warner’s tweet. I referenced a blog post pointing out the economic damage of Brexit a couple of weeks ago that was in turn referencing Posen, and got a scolding from Leon for my lack of understanding of economics.

Well, I happily concede I don’t understand economics. But I also don’t distrust experts. If the FT are happy to publish Posen and a senior member of staff from the DT agrees with the argument, that’s good enough for me.

I looked at his twitter site just to make sure there wasn't a "/2 but it is still well worth it" tweet. But there doesn't seem to be. Instead, I found this ...

https://twitter.com/JeremyWarnerUK/status/1526134365759184897?cxt=HHwWgoC96dXH9a0qAAAA

'Best policy on the NI Protocol is not to pass a law to suspend it, which apart from threatening relations with the US is just political signalling of little immediate practical significance, but indefinite extension of grace periods, putting the ball firmly in the EU's court.'
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

They need to show the meal and being 'gathered together we 15' was reasonably necessary for work purposes, or rather the police merely need to say they do not believe it was and a breach of the guidelines and law, technical or otherwise, has occurred

Edit - 15 people were not allowed to eat together indoors except where reasonably necessary for work. 15 people did, the onus is on them to show it was reasonably necessary
    Shouldn’t be too difficult that? Top politicians in election campaign wouldn’t expect to be standard hours, and to make the most of all in one place opportunities for days wash up and planning. Especially as they passed police phone and server logs to prove they were working, can’t really leave police with much of a doubt?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I looked at his twitter site just to make sure there wasn't a "/2 but it is still well worth it" tweet. But there doesn't seem to be. Instead, I found this ...

https://twitter.com/JeremyWarnerUK/status/1526134365759184897?cxt=HHwWgoC96dXH9a0qAAAA

'Best policy on the NI Protocol is not to pass a law to suspend it, which apart from threatening relations with the US is just political signalling of little immediate practical significance, but indefinite extension of grace periods, putting the ball firmly in the EU's court.'
    ‘Taking back control.’
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Amusing, but I suspect that will be their excuse to revoke your shotgun certificate.
    We've all seen footage of those drones dropping bombs in Ukraine. I was acting in self defence, your honour....
    “FREE THE PB ONE” We are all behind you Ace! Even though you don’t know who we are.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Shouldn’t be too difficult that? Top politicians in election campaign wouldn’t expect to be standard hours, and to make the most of all in one place opportunities for wash up and planning. Especially as they passed police phone and server logs to prove they were working, can’t really leave police with much of a doubt?
    Well, given witnesses present have said no work was done and some of them were pissed there's clearly some doubt from some that it was necessary, dilligent work. And 'wash up and planning' do not require you to breach the rules on numbers indoors together. It can be done remotely, via zoom etc. 'Making the most of all in one place opportunities' was indeed explicitly against the guidelines for campaigning during Covid. In person meetings were to be minimized.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Though they will be required to take at least 3 weeks annual leave
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Compare and contrast:

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/1087521/manchester-city-apology-liverpool-hillsborough-fa-cup/amp/

Manchester City have issued an apology on behalf of the supporters who booed during the tribute to those affected by the Hillsborough disaster.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12614482/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-does-not-expect-man-city-to-drop-points-against-aston-villa

Klopp said: "Of course I have thoughts, but in these situations, I think the question is why does it happen?

"I maybe haven't been here long enough to understand the reasons for it. The majority of our supporters are wonderful people - really smart, go through lows and highs, suffer together.

"They wouldn't do it without reason, but it was not something I enjoyed."
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231

Carnyx said:

‘Taking back control.’
    This refers to grace periods on UK to NI exports, i.e the grace periods effectively allow smuggling into NI, which we don’t care about but the EU do. Your comment would make sense if it were in relation to the extension of grace periods on EU to UK export, at any border. That is a lack-of-taking-control on our part, arguably.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

‘Taking back control.’
    Hmm. We've got a majority in NI for Remain, a majority voting for parties not to scrap the NIP, business leaders of lots of kinds saying HMG is flat out lying it's bad for them, and now the DT is rowing back ... I know the DUP don't like dinosaurs, but the comparison with dinosaurs 65 and a bit million years ago is inevitably growing.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    tlg86 said:

Compare and contrast:

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/1087521/manchester-city-apology-liverpool-hillsborough-fa-cup/amp/

Manchester City have issued an apology on behalf of the supporters who booed during the tribute to those affected by the Hillsborough disaster.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12614482/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-does-not-expect-man-city-to-drop-points-against-aston-villa

Klopp said: "Of course I have thoughts, but in these situations, I think the question is why does it happen?

"I maybe haven't been here long enough to understand the reasons for it. The majority of our supporters are wonderful people - really smart, go through lows and highs, suffer together.

"They wouldn't do it without reason, but it was not something I enjoyed."

Actually I think Klopp has a point. It might be instructive to ask the supporters what is was, exactly, they were booing?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358

I wonder how many people working from home are aware of their right to claim part of their energy costs, council tax, etc, against their income tax?

Hasn’t WFH tax rebate already scrapped?
    No, but you now have to show that your employer requires you to wfh. People working hybrid don't get it any more.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    My experience of dealing with companies with large numbers of staff working from home mostly in financial services but also in travel related businesses is that their efficiency has fallen off a cliff. Covid disruption is no longer an acceptable excuse for poor service.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    @vonderleyen
    Dear Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, congratulations on your reelection today.

The EU faces unprecedented challenges.

I look forward to working together to ensure we can collectively address them successfully.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1526193863890706432

@eucopresident
    In these testing times, the EU’s unity and sovereignty are our main strengths.

Congratulations on your re-election dear Viktor Orban and looking forward to our continued cooperation at the European Council.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1526198093124886528
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Big deal.

Law of the land requires that, indeed significantly more.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

That is the entitlement - not the actual leave taken which can be shuffled between years eg for hols - but plainly the 3 week limit is not sustainable in the long term.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Shouldn’t be too difficult that? Top politicians in election campaign wouldn’t expect to be standard hours, and to make the most of all in one place opportunities for wash up and planning. Especially as they passed police phone and server logs to prove they were working, can’t really leave police with much of a doubt?
    Well, given witnesses present have said no work was done and some of them were pissed there's clearly some doubt from some that it was necessary, dilligent work. And 'wash up and planning' do not require you to breach the rules on numbers indoors together. It can be done remotely, via zoom etc. 'Making the most of all in one place opportunities' was indeed explicitly against the guidelines for campaigning during Covid. In person meetings were to be minimized.
    I believe the whistleblowers only went as far as saying some people didn’t do much work, treated it more as a social, and this has in turn been disputed. Can the police actually use that to prove guilt on anyone? Trusting so much on testimony of a whistleblower has caused police so much grief in other cases hasn’t it, they are bound to be cautious, or even have a different take direct from whistleblower witnesses than we have via the media?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,040
    Can an old man, long retired comment on the WFH; I've experienced most of the options.
    Mother, a self-employed retail pharmacist while I was small, ran her own pharmacy in one of those shops, once common, where the proprietor lived behind and over. Her sister was full-time caring (father was away; wartime). Mother could, and did pop into the living area sometimes.
    Later on I ran a pharmacy but lived elsewhere, so arrived 8.45 or so, left at 6.15 or so. Similar when I worked in a hospital..... go to work, stay until finishing time, go home.
    However I've also run a consultancy from home, where I had to go to site, come home and write up.

That was probably the best, quality of life-wise.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

That is the entitlement - not the actual leave taken which can be shuffled between years eg for hols - but plainly the 3 week limit is not sustainable in the long term.
    That's an entitlement rather than a requirement, though.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Carnyx said:

‘Taking back control.’
    This refers to grace periods on UK to NI exports, i.e the grace periods effectively allow smuggling into NI, which we don’t care about but the EU do. Your comment would make sense if it were in relation to the extension of grace periods on EU to UK export, at any border. That is a lack-of-taking-control on our part, arguably.
    Told you I don’t understand economics!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Turns out Vampire Ed Davey was evil's kingpin
    No. He was hiking at the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

That's a difference I did take into account. GS can't tell me to work 3 weeks one year and then turn round and say I can only have 3 weeks the next year and **** the carry over.

Edit: and if HMG says it is a right, that sounds like an entitlement to me.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

Given even first year junior analysts at Goldmans get £79,000 a year pretty good deal still in my view

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/02/goldman-sachs-raises-pay-for-junior-bankers-after-100-hour-week-complaints
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

Given even first year junior analysts at Goldmans get £79,000 a year pretty good deal still in my view

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/02/goldman-sachs-raises-pay-for-junior-bankers-after-100-hour-week-complaints
    Even so, simply flat out not following the law of the land is not a good look. For one thing, it doesn't help with industrial tribunals.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

That's a difference I did take into account. GS can't tell me to work 3 weeks one year and then turn round and say I can only have 3 weeks the next year and **** the carry over.

I think we're talking at cross purposes here.

The government says " you have the right to 28 days holiday" but doesn't set a minimum.

GS is saying "you must take at least 15 days including five consecutive" but (for senior staff) isn't setting a maximum.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,350
    edited May 2022

My experience of dealing with companies with large numbers of staff working from home mostly in financial services but also in travel related businesses is that their efficiency has fallen off a cliff. Covid disruption is no longer an acceptable excuse for poor service.

Absolutely, my experience of dealing with people working from home it that the work does not happen.
    Councils I deal with are still doing it, their huge offices remian empty and it is a nightmare as their systems are no longer followed and trying to get payment or an answer from them takes 10 times as long as before.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

The government says " you have the right to 28 days holiday" but doesn't set a minimum.

GS is saying "you must take at least 15 days including five consecutive" but (for senior staff) isn't setting a maximum.
    Beg to differ, this sets a clear minimum (but can include Bank Holidays - though these dont' amount to 13 days a year do they?)

"Most workers who work a 5-day week must receive at least 28 days’ paid annual leave a year. This is the equivalent of 5.6 weeks of holiday."
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

That 15 days is I suspect is for Americans who get sod all holiday usually...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Applicant said:

Banks and some other financial services companies are required by the regulator to ensure that employees have a minimum of a certain number of consecutive days' holiday annually. It's a bit of an oddity. The reason for it something to do with fraud being easier to cover up if a dishonest employee never takes holiday.
  • Options
    Great to see Finland and Sweden both formally confirming applications to join NATO.

In four months the Great Russian Bear has been humiliated by Slava Ukraini, pushed back first from Kyiv and then from Kherson and seen two nations famous for neutrality for decades now aligning with NATO.

And now NATO are talking openly about the possibility of Ukraine winning the war. If they do, they should join NATO themselves.

What a catastrophic humiliating screw up by Putin.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

Beg to differ, this sets a clear minimum (but can include Bank Holidays - though these dont' amount to 13 days a year do they?)

"Most workers who work a 5-day week must receive at least 28 days’ paid annual leave a year. This is the equivalent of 5.6 weeks of holiday."
    That's a clear minimum entitlement - it doesn't say anything about how many days an employee must actually take.
  • Options

Absolutely, my experience of dealing with people working from home it that the work does not happen.
    Councils I deal with are still doing it, their huge offices remian empty and it is a nightmare as their systems are no longer followed and trying to get payment or an answer from them takes 10 times as long as before.
    I think to sum up question in this thread header, No, most posts in reply a surprisingly on topic thread, we DONT think Boris Johnson has got it wrong, or out of step with public opinion on this.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

I believe the whistleblowers only went as far as saying some people didn’t do much work, treated it more as a social, and this has in turn been disputed. Can the police actually use that to prove guilt on anyone? Trusting so much on testimony of a whistleblower has caused police so much grief in other cases hasn’t it, they are bound to be cautious, or even have a different take direct from whistleblower witnesses than we have via the media?
    Well, we will see what they have gathered I guess but essentially if there's enough 'doubt' they can fudge it, say it looks like there may have been a breach, that they aren't issuing retrospective fines but have spoken to all concerned to ensure they are aware of their responsibilities 'should such a situation arise in future'. Or 'spoken to everyone about the importance of following the law in its entirety'
    And Starmer is left with a tricky choice.
    Also note there is no need to 'prove guilt' for a FPN, they just need to be reasonably sure it would hold up if taken to court in dispute.

Edit - and from a public perspective, it remains the case that we all had to jump through stupid hoops, so there is simply no valid reason from a fairness perspective for SKS to have sat down and had booze and supper with 14 other people indoors. It was simply unnecessary. Convenient, perhaps, but it would have been convenient for a lot of us to do a lot of things we couldn't
  • Options
    This could be a thing. 😟. Did UK government get its deal with RWANDA by promising to extradite people living in UK the Rwandan claim are criminals and up till now UK not handed over?

“British judges have blocked extradition on the grounds the suspects would not receive a fair trial in Rwanda.”
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776

Great to see Finland and Sweden both formally confirming applications to join NATO.

In four months the Great Russian Bear has been humiliated by Slava Ukraini, pushed back first from Kyiv and then from Kherson and seen two nations famous for neutrality for decades now aligning with NATO.

And now NATO are talking openly about the possibility of Ukraine winning the war. If they do, they should join NATO themselves.

An admission that his reason for the special military operation was bollocks from the start.

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1526175012096548864
    Putin today:
    NATO expansion is artificial. Russia has no problems with Finland and Sweden, so their entry into NATO does not pose an immediate threat. Russia's response to the entry of Finland and Sweden into NATO will depend on the expansion of the alliance's infrastructure...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Big day in Sweden, and a lot of politicians here are making memorable statements. The atmosphere is grave.

Our foreign minister Ann Linde just said on the SR P1 NATO special (think BBC R4 abandons whole schedule and dedicates channel to the NATO application):

- “… är det en ökad sårbarhet för Sverige. Det är helt klart.

… Därför så har vi också varit noga med och se till och fått säkerhetsförsäkringar från de stora länderna som USA, Frankrike, Tyskland, de nordiska länderna och så vidare, för att öka säkerheten.”

- ”… it is an increased vulnerability for Sweden. That's quite clear.

… Therefore, we have also been careful to ensure and receive security promises from the major countries such as the United States, France, Germany, the Nordic countries and so on, to increase security.”

Hmm… sorry Boris, when it comes to selling NATO to the Swedish people, there is one state nobody is boasting about. The “UK” is just an “etc”.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited May 2022
    Anyone listening to the governor of the Bank of England being questioned by the Treasury Select Committee would not be comforted by his comments, as the combination of the Ukraine war with it's effect on the supply of wheat to the world, to the likelyhood of oil and gas price hikes continuing for an inderminnate period as reliance on Russia as a supplier is sidelined, and the looming disaster of the effects of covid and China's zero covid policy, leaves them virtually powerless to mitigate the economic damage in a meaningful way
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An admission that his reason for the special military operation was bollocks from the start.

Putin today:
    NATO expansion is artificial. Russia has no problems with Finland and Sweden, so their entry into NATO does not pose an immediate threat. Russia's response to the entry of Finland and Sweden into NATO will depend on the expansion of the alliance's infrastructure...
    Also an admission that despite all his bellicose rhetoric about NATO expansion, the defanged Russian bear has been revealed to be utterly impotent and can't do anything about expansion. While they're comprehensively failing in a war with Ukraine, they're not going to open a second front in Finland.

Now is the perfect cover for any Eastern European nations who aren't under the umbrella of NATO protection to take the opportunity to do so, fast.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016

Anyone listening to the governor of the Bank of England being questioned by the Treasury Select Committee would not be comforted by his comments, as the combination of the Ukraine war with it's effect on the supply of wheat to the world, to the likelyhood of oil and gas price hikes continuing for an inderminnate period as reliance on Russia as a supplier is sidelined, and the looming disaster of the effects of covid and China's zero covid policy, leaves them virtually powerless to mitigate the economic damage in a meaningful way

Any excuse to avoid raising interest rates...

However, nothing he is saying there is incorrect but with interest rates set at current levels you would be insane not to maximise your borrowing...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,830
    O/T

Disaster in North Korea according to Dr John Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWxX68y19E
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Nigelb said:

Putin today:
    Also an admission that despite all his bellicose rhetoric about NATO expansion, the defanged Russian bear has been revealed to be utterly impotent and can't do anything about expansion. While they're comprehensively failing in a war with Ukraine, they're not going to open a second front in Finland.

Now is the perfect cover for any Eastern European nations who aren't under the umbrella of NATO protection to take the opportunity to do so, fast.
    Moldova and Austria are the only 2 left (Belarus is pro russian). Moldova vacillates between pro Russian and pro European and is very unlikely to join. Austria.... not sure they are bothered and is more central Europe anyway
    Serbia is an ally of Russia
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Big deal.

That's a clear minimum entitlement - it doesn't say anything about how many days an employee must actually take.
    Quite, and if they are sacked for taking their entitlement then they have a clear cut case for constructive dismissal.

Edit: what's so odd is that when one takes BHs into account there's not that much difference with the law, so they are obviously breaching that for not much margin.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917

Big day in Sweden, and a lot of politicians here are making memorable statements. The atmosphere is grave.

Our foreign minister Ann Linde just said on the SR P1 NATO special (think BBC R4 abandons whole schedule and dedicates channel to the NATO application):

… Därför så har vi också varit noga med och se till och fått säkerhetsförsäkringar från de stora länderna som USA, Frankrike, Tyskland, de nordiska länderna och så vidare, för att öka säkerheten.”

… Therefore, we have also been careful to ensure and receive security promises from the major countries such as the United States, France, Germany, the Nordic countries and so on, to increase security.”

Hmm… sorry Boris, when it comes to selling NATO to the Swedish people, there is one state nobody is boasting about. The “UK” is just an “etc”.

Commiserations. Looks like Ireland for you.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Wow! You posted all that just to get a pathetic dig in? I hope you're not WFH as well...
    Poor ole @StuartDickson

Must be all these strange Swedes he seems to knows. All the ones I've been in contact with seem to be pretty cool about the UK's approach to Ukraine and support for Swedish accession to NATO.
  • Options

I think I'm right in saying UK inflation was at 5% before the Ukraine crisis started, partly as a result of Bailey cranking up the money printing machine to bankroll Johnson and Sunak.

You would think the tory MPs would be grateful. Now they want to put Bailey in the dock. Imagine if Bailey had refused to keep printing at some point.
  • Options

Highly predictable comment from the most anti UK poster on this site

Many would reject this attitude not least with the current actions of Germany and France enabling Putin's war machine to continue

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/uk-signs-security-deal-with-sweden-and-finland-marking-steadfast-support-122051100990_1.html
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, we will see what they have gathered I guess but essentially if there's enough 'doubt' they can fudge it, say it looks like there may have been a breach, that they aren't issuing retrospective fines but have spoken to all concerned to ensure they are aware of their responsibilities 'should such a situation arise in future'. Or 'spoken to everyone about the importance of following the law in its entirety'
    Also note there is no need to 'prove guilt' for a FPN, they just need to be reasonably sure it would hold up if taken to court in dispute.

Edit - and from a public perspective, it remains the case that we all had to jump through stupid hoops, so there is simply no valid reason from a fairness perspective for SKS to have sat down and had booze and supper with 14 other people indoors. It was simply unnecessary. Convenient, perhaps, but it would have been convenient for a lot of us to do a lot of things we couldn't
    “ Starmer is left with a tricky choice.”. Tricky choice? I think he would declare himself exonerated if the outcome was as you described.

With Partygate, where there was no excuse to be socialising indoors with a beer, but they paid taxpayers money to a photographer to show them socialising indoors with a beer, open and shut case not likely to go to court. Anyone at beergate though, as it’s not so obvious to show wrongdoing, might feel aggrieved enough to take it to court, police will have to be very “reasonably sure” they wouldn’t lose in court.

“no valid reason from a fairness perspective for SKS to have sat down and had booze and supper with 14 other people indoors. It was simply unnecessary. Convenient, perhaps”. Absolutely right. But it’s not what they did though, they worked, grabbed takeaway whilst working. 100% smack bang in middle of rules at the time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Disaster in North Korea according to Dr John Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWxX68y19E

Very dangerous. If the populace get angry and rise, risk is Kim goes for the war distraction
  • Options
    Applicant said:

That's because we already have a security arrangement with Sweden independent of (if not entirely orthogonal to) NATO.
    Nope. The UK is just one among a very long list of states who have made the same independent interim security arrangements with Sweden. And the UK arrangement is not even deemed significant enough for the foreign minister to even mention it. She obviously doesn’t read PB.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

I think I'm right in saying UK inflation was at 5% before the Ukraine crisis started, partly as a result of Bailey cranking up the money printing machine to bankroll Johnson and Sunak.

You would think the tory MPs would be grateful. Now they want to put Bailey in the dock. Imagine if Bailey had refused to keep printing at some point.
    Nonsense. The government are not to blame for inflation, the bottom line is the Bank of England is INDEPENDENT.

An INDEPENDENT institution messing up its main job controlling inflation, and hypocrites trying to blame government for this.
  • Options

MISTY said:

Nonsense. The government are not to blame for inflation, the bottom line is the Bank of England is INDEPENDENT.

An INDEPENDENT institution messing up its main job controlling inflation, and hypocrites trying to blame government for this.
    So, you’re a “Lib Dem” are you?

You fail the duck test.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

“ Starmer is left with a tricky choice.”. Tricky choice? I think he would declare himself exonerated if the outcome was as you described.

With Partygate, where there was no excuse to be socialising indoors with a beer, but they paid taxpayers money to a photographer to show them socialising indoors with a beer, open and shut case not likely to go to court. Anyone at beergate though, as it’s not so obvious to show wrongdoing, might feel aggrieved enough to take it to court, police will have to be very “reasonably sure” they wouldn’t lose in court.

“no valid reason from a fairness perspective for SKS to have sat down and had booze and supper with 14 other people indoors. It was simply unnecessary. Convenient, perhaps”. Absolutely right. But it’s not what they did though, they worked, grabbed takeaway whilst working. 100% smack bang in middle of rules at the time.
    He declares himself a lot of things. Others will differ. And it will taint him in the eyes of many.

They did not 'grab a takeaway', the meal was pre-planned, it does not state on the plan that it is a working meal, some have said no work took place, others differ. Time will tell, but it's certainly impossible to conclude either it was legal or not at this stage as we weren't there, we can only believe what we believe to be the case.
  • Options

MISTY said:

So Bailey should have refused to bankroll furlough and bounceback beyond a certain point, on the pretext inflation would inevitably surge....?

hmmn....
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

He declares himself a lot of things. Others will differ. And it will taint him in the eyes of many.

They did not 'grab a takeaway', the meal was pre-planned, it does not state on the plan that it is a working meal, some have said no work took place, others differ. Time will tell, but it's certainly impossible to conclude either it was legal or not at this stage as we weren't there, we can only believe what we believe to be the case.
    Exactly. We’ll trust the police. 🙂

You know the meal wasn’t in the same room as the working?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,534

Nigelb said:

Putin today:

There are no European Countries left who would want to be in NATO - Serbia definitely wouldn't, Bosnia probably not. Austria is neutral by treaty, Switzerland relies on he fact that you'd have to fight all the way though NATO to get to them....

https://www.nato.int/nato-on-the-map
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

That's because we already have a security arrangement with Sweden independent of (if not entirely orthogonal to) NATO.
    Nope. The UK is just one among a very long list of states who have made the same independent interim security arrangements with Sweden. And the UK arrangement is not even deemed significant enough for the foreign minister to even mention it. She obviously doesn’t read PB.
    I don't think you can characterise a British Nuclear Warhead as an "etc", as much as you want to belittle the UK.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Applicant said:

Possibly she reads The Guardian? From 5 days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/11/johnson-security-assurances-sweden-and-finland-not-just-symbolic

"UK goes further than any other Nato country in Sweden and Finland pledge"

I should leave off @StuartDickson while you're still only a thousand miles behind.
  • Options

Applicant said:

No, they just had a press conference with the PM and personal visit from our PM to announce it rather than being part of a list of 'also starrings'
  • Options

Applicant said:

Your prejudice against UK and your comments will be warmly welcomed in the Kremlin and by Putin, not so much by Sweden and Finland
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Mr. Dean, remote working makes it much more viable to live in remoter, more rural areas (provided there's sufficient comms infrastructure). If you demand everyone goes into an office for vague and mystical reasons then that just returns to the pattern of cramming people into and near cities.

The internet might yet be the first thing in history that (through success rather than collapse) leads to cities diminishing and villages proliferating. But it needs remote working to happen.

Who wants to live in a fucking village? Inbred nerds
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mr. Dean, remote working makes it much more viable to live in remoter, more rural areas (provided there's sufficient comms infrastructure). If you demand everyone goes into an office for vague and mystical reasons then that just returns to the pattern of cramming people into and near cities.

The internet might yet be the first thing in history that (through success rather than collapse) leads to cities diminishing and villages proliferating. But it needs remote working to happen.

Who wants to live in a fucking village? Inbred nerds
    Anyone who wants to keep away from towny twats like yourself.
  • Options

@vonderleyen
    Dear Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, congratulations on your reelection today.

The EU faces unprecedented challenges.

I look forward to working together to ensure we can collectively address them successfully.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1526193863890706432

@eucopresident
    In these testing times, the EU’s unity and sovereignty are our main strengths.

Congratulations on your re-election dear Viktor Orban and looking forward to our continued cooperation at the European Council.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1526198093124886528

And your point is?
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

The video of him stood up drinking beer with people wondering around with no covid precautions being followed does not look good and such "work events" were not happening at that time.

I would be very surprised if Durham Police approve the event and make a statement to that effect. i think the minimum will be "it should not have happened"
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

The video of him stood up drinking beer with people wondering around with no covid precautions being followed does not look good and such "work events" were not happening at that time.

I would be very surprised if Durham Police approve the event and make a statement to that effect. i think the minimum will be "it should not have happened"
    You hope perhaps?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

MISTY said:

You fail the duck test.
    Oh dear you are having a terrible afternoon bulldozey, wrong with every post. Maybe you should log off log back in again to see if your posts can be any better. What I posted is 100% accurate - Bank of England independent, it’s main responsibility control inflation - unless you want to state Boris can move interest rates up an down?

In what persons mind are Lib Dems ever left wing? libdems is all right of centre stuff, individual choice individual freedom, and liberalism, in every way, life, love and money. Like all my posts 🙂
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

Exactly. We’ll trust the police. 🙂

You know the meal wasn’t in the same room as the working?
    I believe it was probably unnecessary to eat and drink booze together indoors and thus against the rules as I understand them.
    I don't believe what they did in the round was unreasonable, but it wouldn't have been unreasonable for me to host a wake for immediate family after my mother's funeral. It would have been illegal, though, so I didn't.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

At least we are arguing beergate again. I had missed it 😆
  • Options

Wow! You posted all that just to get a pathetic dig in? I hope you're not WFH as well...
    Dearie dearie me. So bitter. What happened to England’s infamous self-confidence? You’re all so insecure.

(And no, I only occasionally WFH, although I did an awful lot during Covid.)
  • Options
    Government vs themselves on the NI protocol latest: https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/eu-encouraged-by-downing-street-tone-on-northern-ireland-protocol

"When [Truss] puts her head on the pillow she thinks 'I voted Remain' so she believes she has to be true Brexit for the Brexiters. She's always talking to the ERG," a senior Tory told @adampayne26
  • Options

Applicant said:

Your prejudice against UK and your comments will be warmly welcomed in the Kremlin and by Putin, not so much by Sweden and Finland
    He has been sent there as a missionary by the SNP in the hope he can convert them to hatred of the English. Putin endorses his actions.
  • Options

MISTY said:

You fail the duck test.
    Oh dear you are having a terrible afternoon bulldozey, wrong with every post. Maybe you should log off log back in again to see if your posts can be any better. What I posted is 100% accurate - Bank of England independent, it’s main responsibility control inflation - unless you want to state Boris can move interest rates up an down?

In what persons mind are Lib Dems ever left wing? libdems is all right of centre stuff, individual choice individual freedom, and liberalism, in every way, life, love and money. Like all my posts 🙂
    Just don't try and build next door to you!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Applicant said:

Your contorted anguish is exquisite
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    I wonder what the weavers would have thought:

Oh dear me, the mill's gannin' fast
    The puir wee shifters canna get a rest
    Shiftin' bobbins coorse and fine
    They fairly mak' ye work for your ten and nine

Oh dear me, I wish the day was done
    Rinnin' up and doon the Pass it is nae fun
    Shiftin', piecin', spinnin' warp weft and twine
    Tae feed and clad my bairnie affen ten and nine

Oh dear me, the warld is ill divided
    Them that works the hardest are the least provided
    I maun bide contented, dark days or fine
    For there's nae much pleasure livin' affen ten and nine

You cannae weave jute from home, that's for sure. Or, sadly, in Dundee anymore.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Commiserations. Looks like Ireland for you.
    Huh? Very cryptic. I’d ask you for clarification, but life is too short.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Putin today:

There are no European Countries left who would want to be in NATO - Serbia definitely wouldn't, Bosnia probably not. Austria is neutral by treaty, Switzerland relies on he fact that you'd have to fight all the way though NATO to get to them....

https://www.nato.int/nato-on-the-map
    A Belarus that has overthrown its dictator and seen what happened to Ukraine might....
  • Options

Dearie dearie me. So bitter. What happened to England’s infamous self-confidence? You’re all so insecure.

(And no, I only occasionally WFH, although I did an awful lot during Covid.)
    I think you suggesting someone else's insecurity is one of the best bits of psychological projection I have seen since Malcolm last called someone "thick".
  • Options

Highly predictable comment from the most anti UK poster on this site

Many would reject this attitude not least with the current actions of Germany and France enabling Putin's war machine to continue

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/uk-signs-security-deal-with-sweden-and-finland-marking-steadfast-support-122051100990_1.html
    Stooey’s draft epitaph:

“He was the most anti UK poster on an obscure blog.”

Hmmm… needs some work. But cheers for the inspiration.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Scott_xP said:

At least we are arguing beergate again. I had missed it 😆
    I am surprised as SKS's confidence that the event was OK and in line with the Covid rules at that time.
This discussion has been closed.