Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

stodge said:

Morning all :)

I realise this won't be a popular view but I have serious qualms about the current vaccination programme.

The one thing I have no qualms about whatsoever is the vaccine itself - we should all be vaccinated and it's worrying to see such poor intended take-up in some communities and I'm pleased this is being addressed by religious and other community leaders.

My problem remains with the notion vaccinating a lot of people once is the way forward.

I disagree.

We should be doing this properly. There have been documented instances of individuals getting the first Pfizer vaccination and then contracting Covid and dying. Pfizer made it abundantly clear the maximum immunity is achieved one week after the second vaccination or four week in total after the first vaccination.

We should be proceeding on that basis - ensuring those who are most at risk are properly vaccinated with two vaccinations twenty one days apart. As far as I can see all the current available vaccines rely on two vaccinations - that may not be the case in time but it is now. We use booster vaccinations regularly - MMR and the annual flu vaccination for example.

It's my view getting a smaller number properly protected is preferable to providing a limited degree of immunity for a larger number. The Pfizer vaccination achieves 52% protection 12 days after the first vaccination - 95% is achieved seven days after the second vaccination.

Oxford-AZ is a little better with Moderna better still.

I think there are political reasons why the Government has taken the action it has and I think they are wrong. I want us all to be vaccinated but properly and effectively - we don't, after all, really know how long immunity will last and it may be we will all need further vaccination later in the year.

The figures suggest lock down is having the desired impact in reducing case numbers - ensuring those at risk are properly vaccinated to reduce deaths and hospitalisations seems the obvious way forward in conjunction with the maintenance of restrictions until all those over 50 are properly vaccinated (with two vaccinations).

One wonders if mass vaccination will become the country's new painting of the Forth Rail Bridge i.e. basically you start at the beginning again immediately after you've finished the last go.
    Until the disease burns itself out around the world I think we will be doing yearly (or even bi-yearly) vaccinations for years to come to combat new variations.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    ydoethur said:

I said 74 looked a long way away....

This is a pretty fierce test of Dan Lawrence. If he can dig England out of this he should be secure for the foreseeable.

Bairstow is yet again running like a lunatic.
    The thing is that Pope looks the real deal to me. That makes competition for the batting places severe apart from opening. There are 5 or 6 serious contenders for only 3 spaces 3-5. But Lawrence does look the part.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

This is a pretty fierce test of Dan Lawrence. If he can dig England out of this he should be secure for the foreseeable.

The thing is that Pope looks the real deal to me. That makes competition for the batting places severe apart from opening. There are 5 or 6 serious contenders for only 3 spaces 3-5. But Lawrence does look the part.
    What options for the future in the opening department? Because Sibley isn't the answer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,480
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

I realise this won't be a popular view but I have serious qualms about the current vaccination programme.

The one thing I have no qualms about whatsoever is the vaccine itself - we should all be vaccinated and it's worrying to see such poor intended take-up in some communities and I'm pleased this is being addressed by religious and other community leaders.

My problem remains with the notion vaccinating a lot of people once is the way forward.

I disagree.

We should be doing this properly. There have been documented instances of individuals getting the first Pfizer vaccination and then contracting Covid and dying. Pfizer made it abundantly clear the maximum immunity is achieved one week after the second vaccination or four week in total after the first vaccination.

We should be proceeding on that basis - ensuring those who are most at risk are properly vaccinated with two vaccinations twenty one days apart. As far as I can see all the current available vaccines rely on two vaccinations - that may not be the case in time but it is now. We use booster vaccinations regularly - MMR and the annual flu vaccination for example.

It's my view getting a smaller number properly protected is preferable to providing a limited degree of immunity for a larger number. The Pfizer vaccination achieves 52% protection 12 days after the first vaccination - 95% is achieved seven days after the second vaccination.

I think there are political reasons why the Government has taken the action it has and I think they are wrong. I want us all to be vaccinated but properly and effectively - we don't, after all, really know how long immunity will last and it may be we will all need further vaccination later in the year.

The figures suggest lock down is having the desired impact in reducing case numbers - ensuring those at risk are properly vaccinated to reduce deaths and hospitalisations seems the obvious way forward in conjunction with the maintenance of restrictions until all those over 50 are properly vaccinated (with two vaccinations).

It is controversial - but note the intention is still to vaccinate everyone twice. And certainly in the case of the AZN vaccine, the evidence suggests that delaying the booster might well increase the level of eventual immunity.

If infection levels (and death rates) weren’t at such a high level, there wouldn’t be a case for it, especially with the Pfizer vaccine, but it’s a balance of risks argument.

I think it’s wrong to think the decision was taken for political reasons - though it is a political call, taken on the advice of SAGE.
  • Options
    Australian Open: More players to quarantine after another positive Covid test on Melbourne flight - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/55695295
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

What options for the future in the opening department? Because Sibley isn't the answer.
    Burns is on paternity leave. But a traditional area of strength for England is not looking great at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,535

Australian Open: More players to quarantine after another positive Covid test on Melbourne flight - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/55695295

Ordinary Australians stranded in other countries are understandably annoyed about this tournament going ahead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I'm growing a little weary of US channels, especially CNN, bashing Britain. There have been a whole series of articles focused on what a cock-up the country now is. Brexit has been a particular source of derision. Here's CNN's latest:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/uk-travel-2021-crisis/index.html

And here was a real pre-Christmas piece of savage attack:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/21/uk/boris-johnson-covid-analysis-intl-gbr/index.html

I'm a left-leaner who voted Labour and campaigned vigorously for Remain. Even I'm getting irritated by this constant negativity. It's not only that it's a case of 'pot, kettle, black'. It's two other things which I am increasingly feeling.

1. Brexit has not (yet) been the disaster some were excitedly predicting. Yes there are teething issues but, frankly, it has gone quite smoothly so far. We have a trade deal and our vaccine rollout is undeniably faster thanks to shaking off the EU shackles.

2. The vaccine rollout is a STELLAR success so far. The UK is on course to be the global leader on mass vaccination of its citizens (Israel, UAE, Bahrain are doing well too with smaller populations). In a handful of months we will have the vast majority of the country vaccinated, the virus all but eliminated and our citizens able to travel the world as a result. It is absolutely clear that airlines in conjunction with the WHO are going to make vaccination the prerequisite for travel.

Yes there have been cock-ups and u-turns but Boris Johnson and Britain are doing alright.

And let's not forget the NY Times' article on the UK's "sputtering" vaccine roll out.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:
    Up from their previous 1%! The polls are not moving. The country is divided. It's very hard to see how that changes.

HYUFD said:
    Up from their previous 1%! The polls are not moving. The country is divided. It's very hard to see how that changes.

Unlike other pollsters Survation uses UK data. Add 1% to Con and Lab for the GB equivalent provided by other companies.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

I'm growing a little weary of US channels, especially CNN, bashing Britain. There have been a whole series of articles focused on what a cock-up the country now is. Brexit has been a particular source of derision. Here's CNN's latest:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/21/uk/boris-johnson-covid-analysis-intl-gbr/index.html

I'm a left-leaner who voted Labour and campaigned vigorously for Remain. Even I'm getting irritated by this constant negativity. It's not only that it's a case of 'pot, kettle, black'. It's two other things which I am increasingly feeling.

1. Brexit has not (yet) been the disaster some were excitedly predicting. Yes there are teething issues but, frankly, it has gone quite smoothly so far. We have a trade deal and our vaccine rollout is undeniably faster thanks to shaking off the EU shackles.

2. The vaccine rollout is a STELLAR success so far. The UK is on course to be the global leader on mass vaccination of its citizens (Israel, UAE, Bahrain are doing well too with smaller populations). In a handful of months we will have the vast majority of the country vaccinated, the virus all but eliminated and our citizens able to travel the world as a result. It is absolutely clear that airlines in conjunction with the WHO are going to make vaccination the prerequisite for travel.

Yes there have been cock-ups and u-turns but Boris Johnson and Britain are doing alright.

And let's not forget the NY Times' article on the UK's "sputtering" vaccine roll out.
    The NHS is vaccinating at the rate of 140 jabs a minute....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Nigelb said:

stodge said:

I disagree.

It is controversial - but note the intention is still to vaccinate everyone twice. And certainly in the case of the AZN vaccine, the evidence suggests that delaying the booster might well increase the level of eventual immunity.

If infection levels (and death rates) weren’t at such a high level, there wouldn’t be a case for it, especially with the Pfizer vaccine, but it’s a balance of risks argument.

I think it’s wrong to think the decision was taken for political reasons - though it is a political call, taken on the advice of SAGE.
    Yes, it doesn't seem to have a political call as much as stodge suggests. Having the biggest impact as soon as possible seems to have been the thinking.
  • Options

RobD said:

The NHS is vaccinating at the rate of 140 jabs a minute....
    Disaster.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    stodge said:

And your qualifications for this are ? Could you let is know what your scientific field of expertise is?

Believe it or not, there is a scientific literature on this that you have could have examined before setting yourself up as an expert.

Because the same problem with double dose vaccines has occurred before in other epidemics.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Nigelb said:

Culture War is pretty much all the government has
    https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1350756761368752129

The juxtaposition of “complex past” and “woke militants” requires a level of self delusion (or cynicism) which is quite impressive.
    When talking of a person who has just passed away, "complex" is often the word of choice to tip the wink that he or she had an unpleasant side but without going into details. I think the Telegraph is using it in that sense here, i.e. treating our history as something to be extra extra careful about in any way criticizing. For me this is a lazy wimp out. Whilst there is no such thing as the definitive objective truth about the past, this "patriotic" approach to it shows little interest in trying to gain a better understanding.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

No future for Scottish Labour if it remains Unionist, former minister says
    A FORMER Labour minister has said there is no future for Labour in Scotland if it continues to be a Unionist party.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday National in the wake of leader Richard Leonard’s resignation, Les Huckfield said that unless the party changed its stance on independence it was “never going to get anywhere”.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19017357.no-future-scottish-labour-remains-unionist-former-minister-says/

That former junior 1970s minister left Labour over the Iraq War and is an SNP member.

Labour is not going to win back Nat voters from the SNP, its best hope is to remain a Unionist Party and win Tory and LD tactical votes to beat the SNP
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

A FORMER Labour minister has said there is no future for Labour in Scotland if it continues to be a Unionist party.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday National in the wake of leader Richard Leonard’s resignation, Les Huckfield said that unless the party changed its stance on independence it was “never going to get anywhere”.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19017357.no-future-scottish-labour-remains-unionist-former-minister-says/

That former junior 1970s minister left Labour over the Iraq War and is an SNP member.

Labour is not going to win back Nat voters from the SNP, its best hope is to remain a Unionist Party and win Tory and LD tactical votes to beat the SNP
    I believe there are many voters who vote SNP for Holyrood who can be persuaded to support Labour for Westminster. The 2017 GE provided evidence of that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

James Bracey can open the batting, and is on tour as a spare wicketkeeper.

(I would keep Sibley ahead of Burns, btw.)
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    They should have tiled a big Union Jack onto its front. It is a bit anonymous as it is.
  • Options

stodge said:

And your qualifications for this are ? Could you let is know what your scientific field of expertise is?

Believe it or not, there is a scientific literature on this that you have could have examined before setting yourself up as an expert.

Because the same problem with double dose vaccines has occurred before in other epidemics.
    For me, and IANAE, it seems a remarkably pure utilitarian calculation. How do we reduce the pressure on the hospitals and the morgue fastest? I am content to accept the calculations of those who have far more data, knowledge and experience.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Florida, surely, but I won't be betting on it. More fitting would be if he vanishes for a short period and then turns up - Colonel Kuntz style - crazed and bloated in a deep jungle compound somewhere thousands of miles away, addressing the faithful through youtube, rambling still about stolen elections and being the real president, but with more sound & fury now, filters off, letting it all hang out: "Radical left, no ID, no ID, Patriots are coming, drain the swamp! release the kraken! all the beautiful babies ..." Until, one day, a tough and resourceful young man on a mission arrives. He carries a pair of scissors.

I predicted he would go quietly just before Christmas. Off to Florida and never return. That worked out well.

It is difficult to see what he can do now, but with all the potential civil cases (Dominion, IRS, being sued by people claiming rape, etc, etc) that could bankrupt him and all the potential criminal cases (Sedition, IRS again, etc, etc) that could send him to jail for life, then unless he does just think he is immune for some reason, why wouldn't he go all out for something spectacular in the last couple of days? Can't think what though. Martial law? Getting the nutters to take over the State senate buildings? Can't think of anything more rational he can do.
    It's possible he might. But I think it would have to be restricted to unofficial action via his supporters. I get the impression his (below average sized) hands are no longer on the POTUS levers. So, to take one example, he might wish to declare martial law but he would not be allowed to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Why do you think our vaccine rollout would have been any different if we'd been in the EU and the European Medicines Agency had still been in London?
  • Options
    Guernsey on last night's ITV evening news:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1350505712024219648?s=20
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

stodge said:

I disagree.

One wonders if mass vaccination will become the country's new painting of the Forth Rail Bridge i.e. basically you start at the beginning again immediately after you've finished the last go.
    Many experts from the beginning of this pandemic have suggested that your Covid shot could well become like the annual flu jab.
    Yes, but I mean distinguishing from the annual flu vaccine for the most vulnerable versus annually vaccinating the entire adult population (if not kids too).

Obviously it's not clear if that will be necessary, and will be easier if we only need one jab not too, but still, a different kettle of fish from the flu vaccine programme.
  • Options

Why do you think our vaccine rollout would have been any different if we'd been in the EU and the European Medicines Agency had still been in London?
    Because slow as they are, that's not the biggest problem with the EU's scheme.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Ordinary Australians stranded in other countries are understandably annoyed about this tournament going ahead.
    They should have spent more time practising their tennis.
  • Options

stodge said:

I disagree.

Many experts from the beginning of this pandemic have suggested that your Covid shot could well become like the annual flu jab.
    Yes, but I mean distinguishing from the annual flu vaccine for the most vulnerable versus annually vaccinating the entire adult population (if not kids too).

Obviously it's not clear if that will be necessary, and will be easier if we only need one jab not too, but still, a different kettle of fish from the flu vaccine programme.
    It's not even an order of magnitude bigger, maybe a factor of a couple. I wouldn't be worried at all about needing yearly vaccinations for it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Andy_JS said:

They should have spent more time practising their tennis.
    But to them, it must seem a complete racket.

Pause.

I do need to get my coat, as I'm off for a walk. Have a good afternoon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The EU's scheme is voluntary. We wouldn't have been 'shackled' to it, and it might not even have existed in that form if we had been part of the decision making process.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    I note we've motored away from the USA's death rate - previously we had a gap of around 40 deaths/1 million but we're up to 81 (1301 vs 1220)
  • Options

RobD said:

The EU's scheme is voluntary. We wouldn't have been 'shackled' to it, and it might not even have existed in that form if we had been part of the decision making process.
    So the EU's slow vaccine roll out is because of Brexit? :D
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

It's the European Commission, who on this issue have managed to make the UK government look well organised and competent, a rarity.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I believe there are many voters who vote SNP for Holyrood who can be persuaded to support Labour for Westminster. The 2017 GE provided evidence of that.
    The Left-Wing Indy supporters who voted SNP in 2015 and then Labour in 2017 attracted by Corbyn went back to SNP in 2019 and are not coming back.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

From my early schooling in America, John Paul Jones is recognised as the father of the US Navy.

And the Russian Navy.

I think Peter the Great would be surprised to hear that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,535

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Biden is planning on making the United Kingdom the site of his first trip outside of North America.

I seemed to.remember 100s of tweets about how Biden hates Boris so much he will blank him and the UK....

I'm sure the same thing has happened many times before, for example with Obama and which European leader he was going to phone first. Everyone said it wouldn't be the UK, and in the end it was.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Biden is planning on making the United Kingdom the site of his first trip outside of North America.

I seemed to.remember 100s of tweets about how Biden hates Boris so much he will blank him and the UK....

I'm sure the same thing has happened many times before, for example with Obama and which European leader he was going to phone first. Everyone said it wouldn't be the UK, and in the end it was.
    I'm now just waiting for the 100s of tweets about how where he visits first doesn't matter.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,635
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

The Left-Wing Indy supporters who voted SNP in 2015 and then Labour in 2017 attracted by Corbyn went back to SNP in 2019 and are not coming back.
    Especially after SKS and his pronouncements/votes on Brexit and indyref 2, I expect.
  • Options

RobD said:

Once you are round the negotiating table in Brussels, there is a powerful urge to be seen to be "communautaire", i.e. to sell out your country's interests for an illusory payback at the European level, while giving more and more power to the Eurocracy. So, in theory, we could have stayed outside the vaccine scheme if we hadn't left. In practice, we might not have done so. And we have probably saved thousands, or maybe tens of thousands, of lives as a result.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2021
    justin124 said:

One thing I have never seen -- though presumably it must exist -- is Labour's own explanation for the catastrophe that engulfed the Party in Scotland.

To go from holding 41 seats in 2010 (many with huge majorities and held continuously for many decades) to just 1 in 2015 does require more of an explanation than "we campaigned on the winning side with the wicked Tories in a referendum".

I would be moderately interested in whether Labour have inquired as to why the catastrophe happened & in the famous phrase of politicians -- what lessons were learned. 😉

How did they lose the hearts and minds of the working class voters in the Central Belt so suddenly and comprehensively?

I have my own hypothesis for this, based on examination of Labour's behaviour in its fiefdoms in Wales -- but I am interested in the Labour party's explanation.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Andy_JS said:

Biden has to come here for G7 in June. Doubt he will go anywhere else before then.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Guernsey on last night's ITV evening news:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1350505712024219648?s=20

I know you live there, but I like to imagine that you own vast quantities of shares in Guernsey PLC that rise a little in value every time you post a good news story about the place. It's charming.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

justin124 said:

One thing I have never seen -- though presumably it must exist -- is Labour's own explanation for the catastrophe that engulfed the Party in Scotland.

To go from holding 41 seats in 2010 (many with huge majorities and held continuously for many decades) to just 1 in 2015 does require more of an explanation than "we campaigned on the winning side with the wicked Tories in a referendum".

I would be moderately interested in whether Labour have inquired as to why the catastrophe happened & in the famous phrase of politicians -- what lessons were learned. 😉

How did they lose the hearts and minds of the working class voters in the Central Belt so suddenly and comprehensively?

I have my own hypothesis for this, based on examination of Labour's behaviour in its fiefdoms in Wales -- but I am interested in the Labour party's explanation.
    FWIW -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/15/labour-election-loss-down-to-lack-of-ideas-not-passion-says-jim-murphy
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/labours-problems-scotland-go-well-beyond-jim-murphy
    https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/04/29/has-any-labour-leader-ever-run-a-worse-campaign-than-jim-murphy/

Edit: of course, being FPTP with 3 competing parties (not counting the Greens and SSocs, perhaps unfairly) wouldn't help. But even so.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

I disagree.

Disagreed. The four Chief Medical Officer representing all 4 home nations, the JCVI and the MHRA and a lot of other scientific evidence unanimously say this is the right thing to do. Their logic seems to be unimpeachable.

Your number for Pfizer seems to be flawed, I'm not sure where you're suggesting 52% protection 12 days after the first dose came from. That seems to be a lower number by including the people who got the infection before the 12 days.

The JCVI reported that one dose alone was enough to give 70% protection after 12 days, rising to 95% a week after the second.

The easiest way to demonstrate it is with numbers, lets round to 14 million high risk people with an initial 14 million doses available.

Scenario 1: Vaccinate and give booster vaccination to half the people.
    7 million have 95% protection = 350k vulnerable
    7 million unvaccinated = 7 million vulnerable
    Total vulnerable: 7,350,000

Scenario 2
    : Vaccinate everyone once, wait for booster.
    14 million have 70% protection.
    Total vulnerable: 4,200,000

Scenario 1 has 75% more vulnerable people than scenario 2. No brainer.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

RobD said:

Once you are round the negotiating table in Brussels, there is a powerful urge to be seen to be "communautaire", i.e. to sell out your country's interests for an illusory payback at the European level, while giving more and more power to the Eurocracy. So, in theory, we could have stayed outside the vaccine scheme if we hadn't left. In practice, we might not have done so. And we have probably saved thousands, or maybe tens of thousands, of lives as a result.
    Doing ok:

• Options
    Fishing said:

RobD said:

It's a bit premature to talk about saving lives when we still have the worst death toll in Europe.

Surely as a British patriot you must look at it the other way round: if the EU had been able to benefit from the presence of a country with a superior model for the delivery of healthcare, then the scheme would have been planned differently, to the benefit of hundreds of millions of Europeans.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm now just waiting for the 100s of tweets about how where he visits first doesn't matter.
    It doesn't and never did, it's a desperate sign of neediness and quite unattractive of this country.

However, it is also true that various people act as though it matters and then change tune if we are near the top of the list, and those people cannot have it both ways.
  • Options

Fishing said:

RobD said:

It's a bit premature to talk about saving lives when we still have the worst death toll in Europe.

Surely as a British patriot you must look at it the other way round: if the EU had been able to benefit from the presence of a country with a superior model for the delivery of healthcare, then the scheme would have been planned differently, to the benefit of hundreds of millions of Europeans.
    The EU hasn't suddenly changed now that the UK has left. It is the same as it ever was.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

I’d flip that and ask why every EU member has chosen to go with the EU scheme. Critics will say - yes, we could have done what we’ve done in the EU - but there does seem to have been an overarching push for unity amongst the EU when it came to vaccines. Presumably the UK would have been under the same pressure
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

justin124 said:

It is very simple, a large proportion of Labour voters in 2010 were in favour of Independence.

In 2014 Labour repeatedly called Independence supporters Nazis.

What happened next followed logically from that.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Yes, it is fascinating. Even an explanation that it was reaching a tipping point and the referendum pushed them over the edge doesn't seem satisfactory for the scale of what happened.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

I’d flip that and ask why every EU member has chosen to go with the EU scheme. Critics will say - yes, we could have done what we’ve done in the EU - but there does seem to have been an overarching push for unity amongst the EU when it came to vaccines. Presumably the UK would have been under the same pressure
    We had so many opt outs. It’s quite possible this would have been one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The EU hasn't suddenly changed now that the UK has left. It is the same as it ever was.
    So you don't think the loss of the UK was a significant blow? Typical anti-British attitude.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

It is very simple, a large proportion of Labour voters in 2010 were in favour of Independence.

The Nazi bit was ironic really when you had SLAB coming out with stuff like this - dead serious in this case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBH55ZeZU4w
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,457
    RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Um. The medical regulatory system has changed in the staff / resources available to it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

So you don't think the loss of the UK was a significant blow? Typical anti-British attitude.
    No, I'm saying that blaming the EU's slow vaccine rollout on Brexit is utterly ridiculous.
  • Options

Yes, there was a good bit of thread after the US election in which it was claimed that Biden's personal loathing for Boris would lead to him and the UK being shunned and ostracized during his presidency. That thread ended in the breaking news that Biden's first phone call to other world leaders had been a long chat with Boris :wink:

And now that Biden's first overseas visit will be to the UK, we'll no doubt never hear another word on the subject again...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Especially after SKS and his pronouncements/votes on Brexit and indyref 2, I expect.
    Presumably Labours task is to convince ex lab - now SNP - voters that their aspirations in terms of social justice an fairness etc etc can be achieved within the UK without taking the perceived risk of independence.

We’ve not really got under the skin of those issues so far. I.e for all the issues with Scottish fishing now, what’s to say there wouldn’t be larger, more damaging issues with Indy (which is entirely a possibility considering rUK makes up approx of 60 bill worth of Scottish exports). I’ve not yet seen a convincing argument for that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,008
    edited January 2021
    Fishing said:

RobD said:

Thank goodness that the UK has 'probably saved thousands, or maybe tens of thousands, of lives' otherwise the UK might have the highest number of deaths in Europe.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

No, I'm saying that blaming the EU's slow vaccine rollout on Brexit is utterly ridiculous.
    If, say, Germany left, and then the EU made a mess of something, I'm sure people would be saying the problem was the lack of German expertise.
  • Options

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Thank goodness that the UK has 'probably saved thousands, or maybe tens of thousands, of lives' otherwise the UK might have the highest number of deaths in Europe.
    The UKs response to vaccines has been - world beating. We can give credit for that.

It’s response to the pandemic - has not.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849
    stodge said:

I'm going to be different and say with one important caveat, I'm fairly supportive of Robert Jenrick's proposals on statues. It should be up to local people to decide and the planning consultation process is as good a method as any.

Where I part company is the notion a Minister will have the final veto - this is grotesque centralisation typical of how this Government thinks and acts. This isn't about a 2,000 home development on farmland - this is about a local statue and it should be left to the elected local councillors to take the final decision.

Conservatives used to believe in decentralisation - now it seems every decision has to either go through No.10 or Whitehall.

Especially if it this venal halfwit making the decisions or some other Tory wrong 'un like him
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

Yes, there was a good bit of thread after the US election in which it was claimed that Biden's personal loathing for Boris would lead to him and the UK being shunned and ostracized during his presidency. That thread ended in the breaking news that Biden's first phone call to other world leaders had been a long chat with Boris :wink:

And now that Biden's first overseas visit will be to the UK, we'll no doubt never hear another word on the subject again...
    Um, that's because the G7 is here this year - I suspect you are reading more into it than I would be.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

From my early schooling in America, John Paul Jones is recognised as the father of the US Navy.

And the Russian Navy.

Yanks do have quite a droll British sense of humour about whom they choose as their heroes.

If I recall, JPJ succeeded in getting his own ship sunk in the engagement that made his reputation in the USA.

(Don't mention the earlier stuff, though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-jZ5qxlqjU
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

NHS chief executive Simon Stevens says a 24/7 vaccinations pilot will begin in 10 days' time

Too slow. Should have been setup by now.and quickly get a handle on if it will work.

Um, you need to find people to do it.
    They aren't struggling for people to rapidly expand the programme. The trials will be at supermarkets pharmacies who already have people working nearly 24hrs already.
    Yes a couple of shelfstackers filling in will do the trick.
    Some supermarket pharmacies are already open 18hrs a day. And the store are open 24hrs, with staff and security, so you send jabbers there with little extra hassle. Much easier than a civic centre that never nornally opens during those sort of hours.
    they are usually empty though, not many people will be interested after 10pm
  • Options
    edited January 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

If, say, Germany left, and then the EU made a mess of something, I'm sure people would be saying the problem was the lack of German expertise.
    What has this got to do with experience? It's all about bureaucracy and national self-interest with regards to vaccine production contracts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

It doesn't and never did, it's a desperate sign of neediness and quite unattractive of this country.

However, it is also true that various people act as though it matters and then change tune if we are near the top of the list, and those people cannot have it both ways.
    It’s a sign of our massively insecure national ego that we have such discussions at all. The insane handwringing in so many quarters about that freaking bust of Churchill that Bush Jr borrowed was, from any objective standpoint, childish in the extreme. Why should we care how a man decorates his office? I also remember the Daily Mail absolutely freaking out on its front page about Obama referring, quite accurately, to France as being their “oldest ally”. Mad. Quite mad.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Our model of subsidising domestic manufacturing was never going to be possible within the EU, it's the main reason we stayed out of it because our deal with AZ was based on a huge domestic manufacturing investment. In the EU that becomes an argument about who gets what subsidies and which companies in which countries get the resulting jobs, especially given that pharma is a high value industry where loads of European countries are lacking investment from private industry.

Ultimately the EU scheme is pants and we've done well to stay out of it. You need to be realistic and realise that one member out of 27 asking for a different way of doing things will end up making no difference. There's 30 years of evidence to support that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,008
    edited January 2021
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Tbf YBarddCwsc was wondering what Labour's own explanation was.

There are quite a few out there, mainly one faction blaming it on another faction, or occasionally uniting to blame it all on the demonic EssEnnPee. None of them take any personal responsibility, hence SLab are still Donald Ducked and will continue to be whoever gets Buggins' turn for the leadership next.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

If the EMA had still been in London it is quite possible that vaccine approval would have been faster - so the slower pace of vaccine roll out in the EU may indeed be a function of the EU's reaction to Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

What has this got to do with experience? It's all about bureaucracy and national self-interest with regards to vaccine contracts.
    And the UK was traditionally a successful voice for a free market approach rather than national self-interest.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    eek said:

Um, that's because the G7 is here this year - I suspect you are reading more into it than I would be.
    Is Air Force One short of jet fuel? If a US President were determined to visit somewhere else first, it wouldn't be hard to make it happen.
  • Options

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Biden is planning on making the United Kingdom the site of his first trip outside of North America..

In other words he’s not going to make any foreign visits until the G7 meeting.
    LOL, unionists will grasp at any straw for their inferiority complex of Global Britain
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The UKs response to vaccines has been - world beating. We can give credit for that.

It’s response to the pandemic - has not.
    What is interesting / different about the vaccine roll out isnthe sense of urgency. We need to do 350k/day, hmm seems like going some...oh we have hit that, right 500k/day by next week and we want to do 5m / week in 2-3 months time.

So many other aspects in handling of the pandemic have felt like the old stereotype of a Spanish workman, mañana.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

What has this got to do with experience? It's all about bureaucracy and national self-interest with regards to vaccine contracts.
    And the UK was traditionally a successful voice for a free market approach rather than national self-interest.
    Either it was a lone voice in that regards, in which case it wouldn't have mattered, or there are other countries with a similar voice, in which case it clearly had no effect on the final outcome.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

NHS chief executive Simon Stevens says a 24/7 vaccinations pilot will begin in 10 days' time

Too slow. Should have been setup by now.and quickly get a handle on if it will work.

Um, you need to find people to do it.
    They aren't struggling for people to rapidly expand the programme. The trials will be at supermarkets pharmacies who already have people working nearly 24hrs already.
    Yes a couple of shelfstackers filling in will do the trick.
    Some supermarket pharmacies are already open 18hrs a day. And the store are open 24hrs, with staff and security, so you send jabbers there with little extra hassle. Much easier than a civic centre that never nornally opens during those sort of hours.
    I think 18 hours a day is doable but 24? If nothing else I would like to see any premises being used as a temporary medical facility, with thousands of visitors, thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis.

• Options
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

And the Russian Navy.

Yanks do have quite a British sense of humour about whom they choose as their heroes.

If I recall, JPJ succeeded in getting his own ship sunk in the engagement that made his reputation in the USA.

BR wasn't 'his' ship or even US property - it was French Royal property. And he ended up with HMS Serapis as a prize. Net gain of prestige for the US and I expect dosh for JPJ though I don't know how the prize system worked in the Marine Royale.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    One group I hope the Gov't sticks to the original vaccination plan with are the immune suppressed, those are the most likely to have mutant & resistant strains evolve within themselves if the vaccination is half done.
  • Options

Fishing said:

RobD said:

In terms of death rate we're some way off highest:

https://twitter.com/redouad/status/1350748193592643584?s=20
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

It's actually the opposite, the UK took a statist approach of subsidies for manufacturing while the EU took the free market "let's get a big discount" one. They failed to factor in the opportunity cost of a 6-12 month delay to full national immunisation so they could save a few billion euros from the sticker price.

You need to admit to yourself that they fucked it up. The EU got it wrong. Deal with it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Either it was a lone voice in that regards, in which case it wouldn't have mattered, or there are other countries with a similar voice, in which case it clearly had no effect on the final outcome.
    As we were frequently told by Brexiteers, the UK was the equivalent of 19 member states, so carried some weight. If Brexit hadn't happened, we would have been the host of the medicines regulator, as well as having a central government with unique direct experience of operational issues because of the structure of the NHS. It's not much of a stretch to think that we would have had significant influence on what the EU did.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

And the Russian Navy.

Yanks do have quite a British sense of humour about whom they choose as their heroes.

BR wasn't 'his' ship or even US property - it was French Royal property. And he ended up with HMS Serapis as a prize. Net gain of prestige for the US and I expect dosh for JPJ though I don't know how the prize system worked in the Marine Royale.
    I think the whole thing is quite wonderful. :-)

Certainly an interesting man ... charlatan, buccaneer, killer, bit of a serial con-artist, underdog, hero ... and all the rest. Very 18th Century.

Quite appropriate that the ship named for him defeated an alien invasion in a feature film.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

As we were frequently told by Brexiteers, the UK was the equivalent of 19 member states, so carried some weight. If Brexit hadn't happened, we would have been the host of the medicines regulator, as well as having a central government with unique direct experience of operational issues because of the structure of the NHS. It's not much of a stretch to think that we would have had significant influence on what the EU did.
    We have 30 years worth of experience and evidence that suggests the opposite. You're delusional.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

We have 30 years worth of experience and evidence that suggests the opposite. You're delusional.
    More anti-British defeatism.
  • Options

Fishing said:

RobD said:

At some point in the next couple of years this pandemic will be declared over by the WHO (yes - honestly - it will) and it is at that point, or maybe shortly before, that we can discuss the success or otherwise of the approach of various countries. In the meantime no one is entitled to count their chickens. It’s a long way to run yet.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The location of the regulator is not at issue here, it's the procurement which has been a disaster. If the EU were so worried about a loss of experience, they could have bent the rules and kept the regulator in London. But we all know how much they like playing by the rules.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Lol. You lot tried this in 2016, it didn't work very well then either.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Presumably Labours task is to convince ex lab - now SNP - voters that their aspirations in terms of social justice an fairness etc etc can be achieved within the UK without taking the perceived risk of independence.

We’ve not really got under the skin of those issues so far. I.e for all the issues with Scottish fishing now, what’s to say there wouldn’t be larger, more damaging issues with Indy (which is entirely a possibility considering rUK makes up approx of 60 bill worth of Scottish exports). I’ve not yet seen a convincing argument for that.
    Arf Arf Arf , unionists need some new scare stories. Is that like how Ireland would be bankrupt. You guys have no clue whatsoever. We will do as Ireland does and trade with sensible countries in the EU.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    edited January 2021
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

What could change things quite radically is if in 2024 Starmer does well enough outside of Scotland to be invited to form a minority UK government and then puts forward a social-democratic programme that non-Tory voters in Scotland would generally have sympathy with, only for the SNP to bring down that government in the cause of secession. A second 2024 GE conducted in those circumstances would be interesting.

SNP supporters here, for all their bravado, prefer to gloss over what happened in a similar scenario in 1979.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

People like William never learn. I see he has glossed over his claims of a few years ago that we would never leave the EU. He is in complete denial about the flaws and failings of his beloved EU and sadly is beyond help.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The location of the regulator is not at issue here, it's the procurement which has been a disaster. If the EU were so worried about a loss of experience, they could have bent the rules and kept the regulator in London. But we all know how much they like playing by the rules.
    I don't think it's a sustainable position for the EU to have their regulators based in third countries, had we been offered an EEA style deal without free movement then I think as single market members they could just about have lived with it. As it stands they had to move it, but the manner in which they did it was pretty rubbish. An almost overnight move with employees (many of them from EU countries) were expected to just pick up their lives and move to Amsterdam and the EU plan was based on the majority saying yes. Unsurprisingly that didn't happen and the vast, vast majority refused and many of them transferred to the MHRA.

The ultimate failure was not securing a mutual recognition deal for pharmaceutical regulation so that the EMA could selectively recognise MHRA approval of pharmaceutical products and vice versa. Aiui the government offered it early on, but the idea was rejected out of hand because they thought they could capture UK jobs by refusing, which hasn't happened and is very unlikely to happen at any point in the future.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,150
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

It's actually the opposite, the UK took a statist approach of subsidies for manufacturing while the EU took the free market "let's get a big discount" one. They failed to factor in the opportunity cost of a 6-12 month delay to full national immunisation so they could save a few billion euros from the sticker price.

You need to admit to yourself that they fucked it up. The EU got it wrong. Deal with it.
    When HMG make a mistake I tend to criticise the individuals who made the defective decisions, or I might point the blame at the malfunctioning institutions and suggest reforms to improve them.

Uniquely when the EU is criticised it is its very existence that is blamed. This is unhelpful.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

At some point in the next couple of years this pandemic will be declared over by the WHO (yes - honestly - it will) and it is at that point, or maybe shortly before, that we can discuss the success or otherwise of the approach of various countries. In the meantime no one is entitled to count their chickens. It’s a long way to run yet.
    And yet it is consistently those looking to attack the UK Government who make the false claims about how the UK is the 'worst in Europe'. Why is your comments about counting chickens only ever seem to be in response to those defending the UK record?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Yes. We'll never know - and of course it's deeply jaundiced to "blame" Brexit for what has happened with the EU vaccine - but it's possible that if we were still a member many lives could have been saved.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    A Trump whacko on R4 saying trump won a landslide, no doubt. election was stolen.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Arf Arf Arf , unionists need some new scare stories. Is that like how Ireland would be bankrupt. You guys have no clue whatsoever. We will do as Ireland does and trade with sensible countries in the EU.
    Would be nice if you engaged in a debate every now and then, instead of spreading insults.

I’ve said this before - if that’s the type of nationalism you represent, then good luck to Scotland.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Fishing said:

RobD said:

If only Scotland could have opted out of the UK & into the EU scheme and waited several months more for the vaccine .....
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Given Carlotta is normally economical with the truth and exceedingly biased , I would seriously doubt any figures she gives in any event.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Given Carlotta is normally economical with the truth I and exceedingly biased would seriously doubt any figures she gives in any event.
    What's biased about these particular figures?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

People like William never learn. I see he has glossed over his claims of a few years ago that we would never leave the EU. He is in complete denial about the flaws and failings of his beloved EU and sadly is beyond help.
    He was partially correct at least given NI and Gibralter are still in EU.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

When HMG make a mistake I tend to criticise the individuals who made the defective decisions, or I might point the blame at the malfunctioning institutions and suggest reforms to improve them.

Uniquely when the EU is criticised it is its very existence that is blamed. This is unhelpful.
    I think the issue is the opposite, when the EU is at fault anyone making the criticisms is painted as anti-European and told to keep the peace while European leaders and politicians simply pass the buck to the EU which they have also made immune from criticism.
This discussion has been closed.