Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Battle of Trafalgar – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited October 2020 in General
The Battle of Trafalgar – politicalbetting.com

So… I spent 30 minutes on the phone this morning with Robert Cahaly, the Head of The Trafalgar Group which PBers will recall as the pollster who called Michigan, Pennyslvania and Wisconsin correct back in 2016.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    First?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Also, very interesting, Robert. I'm still not sure I buy the idea that they conduct polls themselves, as you say it seems very time consuming for just one person.
  • Options
    It sounds more like an email focus group than a poll.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,474
    (FPT)
    Someone was asking about the possible legal consequences for Trump should he lose.
    Here’s a long (but almost certainly not exhaustive) list:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/trump-election-legal-reckoning/index.html
  • Options
    Well I am not going to get egg on my face as I am purposefully not making a prediction. My credibility with certain people (or all?) is already low so I am not sure my contribution would be valued or respected anyway.

But I wonder if those who do get it wrong, will have it brought up 10 times a day or will they be ignored? Will they pretend they never made those predictions? Who knows, only time will tell.
  • Options
    Youtube's recommendation algorithm has just thrown me a video making some very bizarre allegations about what President Trump has on Hunter Biden. The Big Tech conspiracy to protect the Dems seems oddly inefficient.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,124
    An excellent piece of work.

Trafalgar, or Mr Cahaly to be precise sounds completely bogus as a pollster. He applies about as much scientific analysis as is associated with completing the football pools. So in reality it is little more than a finger in the air test. Like the football pools every few weeks one might get two or three draws right and on a very lucky week, four, and if one is especially fortunate, once in a blue moon five.
  • Options
    I saw the first of those "get ready" adverts this evening, absolutely dreadful. No detail of what it is we're getting ready for
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    538 and The FT don't do polls themselves but average out all the other pollsters polls even ranking them by competence. Do they take account of Trafalgar?
  • Options
    Roger said:

538 and The FT don't do polls themselves but average out all the other pollsters polls even ranking them by competence. Do they take account of Trafalgar?

I believe 538 rank Trafalgar as a "C-" pollster, which presumably means they're not given much weight.
  • Options

Well I am not going to get egg on my face as I am purposefully not making a prediction. My credibility with certain people (or all?) is already low so I am not sure my contribution would be valued or respected anyway.

But I wonder if those who do get it wrong, will have it brought up 10 times a day or will they be ignored? Will they pretend they never made those predictions? Who knows, only time will tell.

Pish. Trump is going to lose, and probably lose quite badly. It's almost a mirror image of 2019: there's one issue that voters are thoroughly sick of, and want to get done - Brexit/coronavirus; there's one candidate who is considered too crazy and dangerous to elect - Corbyn/Trump; there's one line on the polling charts that is rock-solid and will not move downwards for love nor money- Tory vote share / Biden vote share. Only the Supreme Court or a Biden obitus can save Trump now.

Go bold, or go home :wink:
    Indeed besides their supposed difference the similarities between Corbyn and Trump are uncanny, only the Electoral College allowed Trump to win in 2016 rather than lose as he would have with our electoral system like Corbyn did in 2017.

2020 will be like 2019 barring a shock. Even with a late shock it may still be like 2019 given the volume of voters already going to the polls.
  • Options

Pish. Trump is going to lose, and probably lose quite badly. It's almost a mirror image of 2019: there's one issue that voters are thoroughly sick of, and want to get done - Brexit/coronavirus; there's one candidate who is considered too crazy and dangerous to elect - Corbyn/Trump; there's one line on the polling charts that is rock-solid and will not move downwards for love nor money- Tory vote share / Biden vote share. Only the Supreme Court or a Biden obitus can save Trump now.

Indeed besides their supposed difference the similarities between Corbyn and Trump are uncanny, only the Electoral College allowed Trump to win in 2016 rather than lose as he would have with our electoral system like Corbyn did in 2017.

2020 will be like 2019 barring a shock. Even with a late shock it may still be like 2019 given the volume of voters already going to the polls.
    There are almost no similarities between Corbyn and Trump. There are many parallels between Boris and Trump but they are of no obvious help for betting on the election in a fortnight.
  • Options

There are almost no similarities between Corbyn and Trump. There are many parallels between Boris and Trump but they are of no obvious help for betting on the election in a fortnight.

No similarities between Corbyn and Trump?

- Think they are outsiders but are actually just a bit bonkers
    - Have completely taken over a political party which was hostile to them
    - Repeated dodgy views and behaviours on racial issues
    - Attracted a cult of fanatical loyalists but increasingly disgust moderate swing voters
    - Old white men who were born into wealth but like to pretend they are "of the people"
    - Lost the popular vote (can shortly add "twice" to this)
    - Both supported by Piers Corbyn and (intermittently) David Duke
    - Interfere in the selection/primary process in attempt to remake party in their image
    - Incapable of admitting when they are wrong, or have failed
    - Claim evidence of their wrongdoing is "fake news" or "smears" even when it has been photographed or taped

I'd say there are a few similarities.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited October 2020
    I'm curious about the data sets available from consumer/market research agencies Can you buy such un-anonymised data freely in the USA? Surely GDPR in the EU would prevent polling strategies like this?

What would the cost of such a large up to date/contactable data set even be? Cos you're gonna need a big block to over come the response rate And why is such a data set from a specific company not skewed in the first place it must have come from some where?

And

Why do the polled have to be any more truthful than to traditional polling companies?
    What is the methodology difference from the perspective of the chronically untruthful? Isn't their reaction to one polling agency on the phone much the same to any other? Why does Trafalger put such cynical voters at ease does Robert tell each pollee that their phone call is a safe space?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

- Attracted a cult of fanatical loyalists but increasingly disgust moderate swing voters
    - Old white men who were born into wealth but like to pretend they are "of the people"
    - Interfere in the selection/primary process in attempt to remake party in their image
    - Claim evidence of their wrongdoing is "fake news" or "smears" even when it has been photographed or taped

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/04/04/the-british-trump-the-similarities-between-the-president-and-the-leader-of-the-opposition/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/04/04/the-british-trump-the-similarities-between-the-president-and-the-leader-of-the-opposition/
    Thanks - I forgot "in Russia's pocket" :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

And for theoldpolitics as well yes it is the Horseshoe theory: the far left and far right have more in common with each other than the centre. Not that either will ever admit it.
  • Options
    I'm amused CHB if it wasn't a misclick you have liked both John's claim that there are no similarities between Corbyn and Trump and Cyclefree's link to her very good article explaining the similarities between Corbyn and Trump.

As a recovering former Corbynite (if I may call you that) can you recognise now the similarities between Corbyn and Trump that have been pointed out? And the similarities between his hardcore followers which you now distance yourself from and Trump's hardcore followers?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited October 2020

Let it go. You keep referring back to it. We are all wrong sometimes.
    Would be better if everyone focussed on my tip of Labour majority in NZ...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Trump is has found the perfect metaphor for his campaign.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1317979259764461568?s=21
  • Options
    Thanks and kudos to Robert for his report!

Think "it was all about how to make it as anonymous as possible" is excellent way to describe way Mr Cahaly conducts his business. Sub rosa save for the PR. Right out of the Lee Atwater playbook.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I like the bullshit or brilliance line by Robert S in his discussion piece - sounds like BJ on a good day. I am not sure how the John Sentamu row over a peerage has allowed to happen... you would have thought such an obvious topic that someone would have headed it off.... or is it a deliberate 2nd front in the culture war?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited October 2020
    Interesting piece, Robert.

If you put on a blindfold and turn around, every once in a while you will still pin a tail on a donkey in the correct place. If you take 100 pollsters and try the same thing, one of them will pin it on correctly and you forget the 99 who didn't. It's like today's Daily Mail front cover reporting on the astrology who 'predicted' the Covid pandemic but neatly forgetting the 99 who didn't.

It's a popular misconception that the 2016 polls got it wrong. In fact the final 2016 result with Clinton winning the popular share by c. 2% was pretty much within the margin of error of final polls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2016_United_States_presidential_election#Polls_conducted_in_2016

A few overstated her lead but by and large they weren't far out.

But, besides, the 2016 meme was totally different. Trump was galvanising disaffected rust-belt voters. Much like the disaffected white working class in this country on the Brexit vote: it was about outsiders taking back control.

This time the reverse is happening. Trump is the swamp. There's no miracle this time around for him.

Furthermore, as Mike has noted, there is an unprecedented early voter turnout going on.
  • Options
    As an aside, Mike & Robert is there any chance of some threads also on individual Senate battles? I mean, one at a time? There are some fantastic and fascinating battles going on.

I know a lot of people over here don't go deeper than the Presidential race but we should do: it's really interesting as well as kind-of vital to the next four years.
  • Options

There are many parallels between Boris and Trump but they are of no obvious help for betting on the election in a fortnight.
    They will be a lot of help on betting on the 2024 General Election.

The world is changing. The flirtation with right-wing bombast has come to an end.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited October 2020
    It’s a good lesson in polling to consider the agenda of whoever it is that commissioned the poll. In this case it is blindingly obvious; although Robert does his best to avoid jumping to conclusions, anyone reading the lead is going to see what is going on here.

Not least because this one guy is the one making the phone calls, and he clearly can’t stick to a topic without demonstrating his bias.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It’s a good lesson in polling to consider the agenda of whoever it is that commissioned the poll. In this case it is blindingly obvious; although Robert does his best to avoid jumping to conclusions, anyone reading the lead is going to see what is going on here.

Not least because this one guy is the one making the phone calls, and he clearly can’t stick to a topic without demonstrating his bias.

Explains how he might pick up more shy Trumpers, though... :smile:
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Don’t Trafalgar just serve a useful purpose in that if Trump wins through nefarious reasons, he can brush it off by pointing to the “polls that everyone chose to ignore”?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,909
    Nevada ballot by party return rates, which do mean... something are looking hideous for Trump right now
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DocJeffD/status/1318048024359137280

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6498/1422.full
    Aerosol transmission of viruses must be acknowledged as a key factor leading to the spread of infectious respiratory diseases. Evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 is silently spreading in aerosols exhaled by highly contagious infected individuals with no symptoms. Owing to their smaller size, aerosols may lead to higher severity of COVID-19 because virus-containing aerosols penetrate more deeply into the lungs (10). It is essential that control measures be introduced to reduce aerosol transmission. A multidisciplinary approach is needed to address a wide range of factors that lead to the production and airborne transmission of respiratory viruses, including the minimum virus titer required to cause COVID-19; viral load emitted as a function of droplet size before, during, and after infection; viability of the virus indoors and outdoors; mechanisms of transmission; airborne concentrations; and spatial patterns. More studies of the filtering efficiency of different types of masks are also needed. COVID-19 has inspired research that is already leading to a better understanding of the importance of airborne transmission of respiratory disease.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Pulpstar said:

Nevada ballot by party return rates, which do mean... something are looking hideous for Trump right now

Interesting. Trump’s defeat in 2016 was only the second time Nevada didn’t pick the EC winner since 1908 (the other being Ford instead of Carter in 1976) and Clinton held it very narrowly. So if he’s doing badly there that’s another straw in the wind.
  • Options
    With 20% of votes already cast and early in-person voting opening this week across a slew of states, the polling right now and for the next 7 days matters as much as that taken in the final days.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/18/politics/what-matters-october-18/index.html
  • Options
    How is this different from “joking”, in front of a crowd of thousands, about lynching one of your political opponents ?

Lara Trump defends president's rhetoric after 'lock her up' chants about Whitmer at rally: 'He was having fun'
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/521585-lara-trump-defends-presidents-rhetoric-at-rally-after-lock-her-up
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

They don’t seem particularly shy.

More likely, his approach generates shy democrats, particularly those living in republican areas who are continually bombarded with the sort of rubbish I was listening to on the Mike Gallagher show when I was in the US last year.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    alex_ said:

Don’t Trafalgar just serve a useful purpose in that if Trump wins through nefarious reasons, he can brush it off by pointing to the “polls that everyone chose to ignore”?

It's not just Trump.
  • Options

Roger said:

I believe 538 rank Trafalgar as a "C-" pollster, which presumably means they're not given much weight.
    Yes they are a C- polling company, but when I pointed this out on Friday, I was laughed out of town by one very pro-Trafalgar PB contributor for basing my evidence on 538.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Yes they are a C- polling company, but when I pointed this out on Friday, I was laughed out of town by one very pro-Trafalgar PB contributor for basing my evidence on 538.
    Because that one contributer if it is whom I am guessing doesn't understand probability.

538 did very well in 2016 and were within margin of error for the result. In multiple states Trafalgar were simply not.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

How is this different from “joking”, in front of a crowd of thousands, about lynching one of your political opponents ?

Lara Trump defends president's rhetoric after 'lock her up' chants about Whitmer at rally: 'He was having fun'
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/521585-lara-trump-defends-presidents-rhetoric-at-rally-after-lock-her-up

Aren't "football hooligans" destroying everything in sight also "having fun"?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    Good morning everyone. Useful piece; a reminder to always look twice at 'evidence'.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Fascinating investigation. Has a traditional journalist done this? A deep dive into the many polling organizations out there would be fascinating...
  • Options
    Thanks Robert for the conducting the interview and sharing it with us.

A point add to the many other comments sceptical of Trafalgar's methods. Lets suppose that Trafalgar has hit on a great new polling method, a method which turned out to accurately predict results in the swing states in 2016. If this new polling method is based on a sound new methodology, then how come none of the other polling companies have switched to using it? These are private companies most of whom want to be judged on their presidential election polling accuracy. That they stick with other methods suggests that the Trafalgar methodology is very shaky.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1318048830256865281?s=19

Ralston is the man who knows Nevada and early voting. When Ralston calls the state his word is law.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Because that one contributer if it is whom I am guessing doesn't understand probability.

538 did very well in 2016 and were within margin of error for the result. In multiple states Trafalgar were simply not.
    Not only does he not understand probability, he refuses to accept that he has a deficit in this area and makes no attempt to learn.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,192
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Ralston is the man who knows Nevada and early voting. When Ralston calls the state his word is law.
    But the fact that Democrats are voting early really doesn't prove much in itself. You might get the odd extra one who might not have actually managed to vote on the day or, more likely, would have been prevented from voting by voter suppression techniques, but they still only get to vote once.

The polling looks really good for Biden, not least in its consistency, but I think reading through the entrails of early voting returns tells you very little.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

He might and I'm all for a Biden win, indeed I'm on him financially to win big.

But I'm afraid early voting returns need to be taken with a pinch of salt. It reminds me of the morning of 12th December when we were told, and shown pictures of, a massive youthquake.

I expect Joe to win Nevada handsomely but the conservative Trump Rump will still show up on the day.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But the fact that Democrats are voting early really doesn't prove much in itself. You might get the odd extra one who might not have actually managed to vote on the day or, more likely, would have been prevented from voting by voter suppression techniques, but they still only get to vote once.

The polling looks really good for Biden, not least in its consistency, but I think reading through the entrails of early voting returns tells you very little.
    I'm reading nothing into the early voting. But when Ralston make his call I will listen. He's called the winner of the state based on early voting 100% of the time.

But much like Old North State politics blog for North Carolina I thought people would appreciate a local expert who does election analysis.

Use at your own risk.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Maybe it's more like Push Polling?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm reading nothing into the early voting. But when Ralston make his call I will listen. He's called the winner of the state based on early voting 100% of the time.

But much like Old North State politics blog for North Carolina I thought people would appreciate a local expert who does election analysis.

Use at your own risk.
    Early voting patterns have to be huge misleading in the election, when circumstances render past comparisons useless. Could it even be, perversely, that in some cases larger (R) early voting numbers could be positive for the Democrats because it may indicate Republican switchers? Early voting indicates concern about Coronavirus, which is more likely to be found in anti-Trump Republicans that pro-Trump ones.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

People grasp for it as the only information we have during the increasingly febrile runup to a critical election.

We see the same at UK election time, with endless posts about snippets of information supposedly derived from postal vote verifications, which are always rubbish.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 Wait, What?

There is no post collection weighting of results, which seems odd, because given admittedly low response rates, it would seem necessary. There’s also no “spiral of silence” type adjustment.

But the end of their 2016 polling they said

Survey results undergo a weighting process to ensure the sample is comparable to the demographic breakdown of 2012 Colorado general election participants. Final results are based on these weights in order to address non-response bias. In addition, the final published ballot test is a combination of survey respondents to both a standard ballot test and a ballot test gaging where respondent's neighbors stand. This addresses the underlying bias of traditional polling, wherein respondents are not wholly truthful about their position regarding highly controversial candidate

They both cannot be true.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

While those are optimistic numbers it's not reasonable to say 44k Dem lead is it? Since we know more R voters self identify as registered independents than Dems do?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yes but the effect is scaled down because of their low rating.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

People grasp for it as the only information we have during the increasingly febrile runup to a critical election.

We see the same at UK election time, with endless posts about snippets of information supposedly derived from postal vote verifications, which are always rubbish.
    Sorry but that's a nonsense. Ralston knows his onions in Nevada
  • Options
    Never mind the King in the North securing cash for Tier 3, the big battle will be cash for Tier 2. As local rag reports over the weekend pointed out, the inability to go to the pub or restaurant with friends combined with the curfew has killed trade for businesses supposedly free to stay open.

Which if you think about it is the same fiasco as we saw in March. Don't go to the pub spake the ministers. "what about our livelihoods" say the hospitality trade. "what about it" says the government.

Fuck business vote Tory. Again. How is it they haven't learned a single thing from the first phase of this pandemic?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,192
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

According to RCP there has not been a single poll in the campaign where Biden wasn't ahead. Clinton won the State narrowly but Obama won it handily, twice. Nevada has been trending Democratic for a long time now and it would be a major shock if Biden didn't win it.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

While those are optimistic numbers it's not reasonable to say 44k Dem lead is it? Since we know more R voters self identify as registered independents than Dems do?
    Nevada has a pretty firm link between registered Dems/GOP and final votes cast.

The GOP ratio keeps to a narrower band than the Dems, Clinton had a particularly poor ratio in 2016 and still won even with Trump hitting the top end of the GOP ratio.

Nevada doesn't have a "Southern Democrat" problem when it comes to voter reg analysis
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

Yes and no.

In Texas nearly half of 2016's turnout has already voted. That's not insignificant. Sometimes people can read to much into it, or see what they want to see, but it's not necessarily useless.

I think as a rule electoral returns reports mean more when people start getting downbeat about their own prospects from them rather than seeing or saying what they want to see.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

Never mind the King in the North securing cash for Tier 3, the big battle will be cash for Tier 2. As local rag reports over the weekend pointed out, the inability to go to the pub or restaurant with friends combined with the curfew has killed trade for businesses supposedly free to stay open.

Which if you think about it is the same fiasco as we saw in March. Don't go to the pub spake the ministers. "what about our livelihoods" say the hospitality trade. "what about it" says the government.

Fuck business vote Tory. Again. How is it they haven't learned a single thing from the first phase of this pandemic?

This happened near me. Quite a small and compact bar, in a hipster area forced to close by tricksters.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/businesses-threatened-by-council-breaking-4617328

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

I live in Las Vegas and have followed Ralston for years.

Everyone defers to him on his knowledge of races. He called Harry Reid winning when everyone was sure he was a goner. Reid did win against the tide in 2010, the only bright spot for the Democrats that night.

If there are any betting markets on Nevada EC votes, you'd be mad to go against Ralston.
  • Options
    On current voter registration figures, assuming Trump and Biden convert as well as Trump and Clinton did then Biden wins by 1%.

But that is based on September registration figures. I need October's before I make by (Ralston willing) call.
  • Options
    I see the clerics in the Lord's are sticking their noses into the Brexit debate. Farcical in 2020 Britain that they get a role within the legislature. If someone wants to listen to Priests they should go to Church not Parliament.

The unelected Lords should have their say but after ping pong respect the elected Commons decision.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Why should they they were the world beaters in the last wave so no need to learn anything.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,144
    alex_ said:

Yes, that's an argument I've made before. Though, there are so many State polls, with such small sample sizes, that they don't push the envelope of polling that far to Trump's advantage.

For example, Pennsylvania. Latest Trafalgar is Biden +2, but there's also an Insider Advantage poll with a sample size of 400(!) which is only Biden +3.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

On current voter registration figures, assuming Trump and Biden convert as well as Trump and Clinton did then Biden wins by 1%.

But that is based on September registration figures. I need October's before I make by (Ralston willing) call.

Is this if everyone turns out ?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,207
    If those Nevada numbers are anything like, then it is not a close race.

The polls and now quite a bit of anedotal evidence are suggesting a shellacking for the GOP on a scale rarely- if ever- seen before. Even allowing for a hard core of Republicans voting solidly in the red states, we can`t be looking at more than a third of the EC going Trump, and there could be some big name casualties in the Senate.

It´ll be interesting how Trafalgar explain that ex post facto. Probably have to rename the dog to Villeneuve...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    Cicero said:

If those Nevada numbers are anything like, then it is not a close race.

The polls and now quite a bit of anedotal evidence are suggesting a shellacking for the GOP on a scale rarely- if ever- seen before. Even allowing for a hard core of Republicans voting solidly in the red states, we can`t be looking at more than a third of the EC going Trump, and there could be some big name casualties in the Senate.

It´ll be interesting how Trafalgar explain that ex post facto. Probably have to rename the dog to Villeneuve...

Apart from widespread fraud, 'twill be interesting to see how Trump explains that post-facto, too!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,504
    edited October 2020
    "Traditional pollsters reach voters by either having an on-line panel (YouGov, for example) or by calling people, with either automated voice response or a real human".

Just a question. I'm sure online panels work as a polling process, but I am puzzled as to how. Is it not inevitable that online panels are biased towards the sorts of people who like being on online panels, biased towards those who have some sort of interest in politics and also skewed by the fact that just being on a panel may affect how much attention you give to the issues as compared with a constantly changing random sample.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293
    edited October 2020
    Thanks Robert for an exceptionally fascinating piece. Would that our investigative journalists operated with such enterprise and knowledge of the subject.

This is not a proper polling operation. If it gets anywhere near the right answer it will be by a fluke. It wouldn't change the nature of polling because his results could not be copied, not least because nobody can really know exactly what he is doing. For betting purposes I would do pretty much as 538 does - chuck the figures in the mix but give them less weight than the other proper firms.

As for the betting, once more we have an overnight shortening of Trump's odds, which makes me think much of the support is from abroad. They tend to ease back during the day. It may be someone priming the odds; that's happened before. I suspect however it is simply over-exuberant Trump supporters unacquainted with or dismissive of the facts.

There were relatively few polls over the weekend and the most recent, IBD and CBS (who are decent pollsters, no doubt), did suggest a slight weakening of Biden's support. We will know soon the extent to which other pollsters confirm this. If they do, I would attribute it to the kind of tightening of the polls near election day which is common in elections around the world. I would not attribute it to Trafalgar knowing something others do not.

Finally, early voting returns do not tell you everything but they do say something. They're a bit like 'runs on the board' in cricket. You don't know how good they are until both sides have batted, but on balance you'd sooner have them than not. I think they are encouraging for Biden, but no more than that.

Right, gotta walk the dog. Catch you all later.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm not entirely convinced Sophia has not missed the point.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Nevada has a pretty firm link between registered Dems/GOP and final votes cast.

The GOP ratio keeps to a narrower band than the Dems, Clinton had a particularly poor ratio in 2016 and still won even with Trump hitting the top end of the GOP ratio.

Nevada doesn't have a "Southern Democrat" problem when it comes to voter reg analysis
    When you say ratio isn't that the same point I was making? It isn't a 1:1 registered voter ratio is it?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    It's taken me a week to realise that Hunter Biden is Biden's son and doesn't relate to a scandal involving Biden and hunting.

I have my finger on the pulse.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    On topic, well done Robert. Fascinating conversation and thank you for going above and beyond.

Only you with your fantastic politeness and patience could have pulled this off.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Not only does he not understand probability, he refuses to accept that he has a deficit in this area and makes no attempt to learn.
    "A 25% chance should come off about one time in four."

--- "I'm sorry, you've lost me there..."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Great header. Really interesting stuff.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Maybe it's more like Push Polling?
    That did occur to me.
    Perhaps a combination of that and glorified focus group to test Republican lines or target electoral groups ?
    Like Robert, I'll believe they are some kind of pollster should they end up right again. You can get lucky once; twice in the same manner is unlikely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Based on the ratio of Registered-Dems-To-Clinton Vote and similar for Trump

In 2016 there were 577,679 Registered Dems and Clinton got 539,260 votes
    488,861 Registered GOP and Trump got 512,058 votes

Registered
    Year Dem Rep
    2016 577679 488861
    2012 526,986 436,799
    2008 531,317 430,594
    2004 429,808 434,239
    2000 365,593 366,431

Votes
    Year Dem Rep
    2016 539,260 512,058
    2012 531373 463567
    2008 553736 412827
    2004 397,190 418,690
    2000 279,978 301,575

Ratios
    Year Dem Rep
    2016 0.93 1.05
    2012 1.01 1.06
    2008 1.04 0.96
    2004 0.92 0.96
    2000 0.77 0.82
    Gore was not popular in Nevada!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

it's not exactly rubbish to note the massive early voting in some states.

And the figures for this will be very interesting:
    States brace for surge of voter registrations as deadlines near
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/18/voter-registration-deadlines-online-glitches-429632

Anyone betting on turnout ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

Everyone defers to him on his knowledge of races. He called Harry Reid winning when everyone was sure he was a goner. Reid did win against the tide in 2010, the only bright spot for the Democrats that night.

If there are any betting markets on Nevada EC votes, you'd be mad to go against Ralston.
    Welcome Martin. Your views from the ground are much appreciated here.

In a lightly traded market, Biden is favorite to win Nevada at odds of 2/5.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Nigelb said:

Like Robert, I'll believe they are some kind of pollster should they end up right again. You can get lucky once; twice in the same manner is unlikely.

It will be interesting to see HYFUD's reaction to the header :D
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree.

Welcome Martin. Your views from the ground are much appreciated here.

In a lightly traded market, Biden is favorite to win Nevada at odds of 2/5.
    I personally wouldn't bet on Nevada either way at current prices.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Why should they they were the world beaters in the last wave so no need to learn anything.
    I detect a touch of irony there.
    Just to reinforce the point, in terms or raw outcomes (deaths & economic hit), we are near the worst in the world.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1317924980659785728
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    It may not inspire confidence, but at least it is honest...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,403
    algarkirk said:

"Traditional pollsters reach voters by either having an on-line panel (YouGov, for example) or by calling people, with either automated voice response or a real human".

Just a question. I'm sure online panels work as a polling process, but I am puzzled as to how. Is it not inevitable that online panels are biased towards the sorts of people who like being on online panels, biased towards those who have some sort of interest in politics and also skewed by the fact that just being on a panel may affect how much attention you give to the issues as compared with a constantly changing random sample.

Re point 2, I believe that you get recruited to a panel to answer all kinds of questions, not specifically to a political questions panel.

Regarding the first point, I expect that weighting is done by comparing the results of those recruited to online panels compared to those polled in other ways, so any systematic differences in those who would like to be in online panels can be accounted for.

The third point is interesting, would be fascinating to see whether people in online panels become more aware of the things they are asked about over time. Again I expect you can compare new and old recruits/panels to tease out these differences, although that may be too subtle to have been done so far. Intellectually, that third question is intriguing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,599

Very very interesting Robert.

Certainly don't seem plausible. Besides potentially getting lucky with 2 states in 2016 which seems to get focused on by their fans, most of their predictions were very, very wrong but those get ignored.

An old story: make a dozen outrageous predictions, when one comes true claim to be a sage because you predicted that one, ignore everything else you predicted that was wrong.

The Ming Campbell school of recession prediction....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,599
    Not just the U.K. with work to do on BREXIT prep.

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1318084481241223170?s=20
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The first is probably the greater issue. YouGov seems to try hard to avoid bias by those motivated by political interest. Their VI Qs usually come at the end of long survey on some retail topic, for example, so you can't sign-up and just do political surveys
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    edited October 2020
    Good to see Robert had a chat with Trafalgar's head man and can give us a bit more detail about their methods.

Though in 2016 while they were the only pollster to correctly have Trump ahead in Michigan and Pennsylvania not a single pollster had Trump ahead in Wisconsin but he won all 3 ( Trafalgar did not poll Wisconsin then and is this time as even Trafalgar did not expect Trump to have a chance in Wisconsin in 2016, yet Trump won it by the largest margin of the 3).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,124

Shortage of frozen chips on the cards?
  • Options

The 85% is something of a semi-attached figure though. More relevant is that 9% of Belgium's exports go to the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

I detect a touch of irony there.
    Just to reinforce the point, in terms or raw outcomes (deaths & economic hit), we are near the worst in the world.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1317924980659785728
    Looks like Belgium, Spain and Mexico are worst on that graph considering deaths and loss of economic growth, South Korea, Vietnam and China best overall in terms of minimal deaths per head and minimal economic damage (though China's figures are a bit dubious). Clearly then mass mask wearing crucial as well as track and trace and lockdown's only when absolutely necessary eg New Zealand does well on low deaths but has a loss in gdp of at least average
This discussion has been closed.