Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While the nation has been enjoying Sunak’s half price food dea

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While the nation has been enjoying Sunak’s half price food deal he’s been knocked backwards in the PM v Chancellor polling

We’ve now had the initial three day session of the extraordinary half price meal deal announced by Chancellor Sunak last month and from my totally unscientific findings it has certainly grabbed the public’s attention. Just about everybody I’ve meet over the first three days is talking about it and certainly participating cafes and restaurants seemed to have been full.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I normally don't do this but it's been over 2 hours so.. 1st!
  • All the PB Brits bloated from their Rishi-roni discount blowouts. Personally think going to crowded restaurants for discount grub can be problematic at the best of times, let alone during raging pandemic.

Though you can take precautions. Such as asking for extra leeks in you soup.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088
    Yes, I actually overhead people wandering around town yesterday evening moaning that they’d been turned away from everywhere they tried to go for a meal.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    We had a fairly stressful day yesterday....... some roofing problems, all of which were sorted....... so at 5.30 when everyone had gone I rang three of our favourite eating places to see if we could have a table. All fully booked outside. Never mind, at least they were taking money, which they haven't been since March.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Seizing control is all very well. Sometimes forgotten is that power is useful only when you have a notion of what you want to do with it. Boris Johnson has stumbled upon this truth during an ill-starred year in 10 Downing Street. Mr Johnson’s personal ambition never looked beyond becoming prime minister. With his hands finally on the levers of power, but lacking anything resembling a prospectus, he has been lost.

Initially, he seemed to think Brexit — “taking back control” as the Brexiters call it — would be purpose enough. In the event, his premiership is being shaped by coronavirus. Here, all the decision-making has belonged to No 10 from the outset, with no one in Brussels to gainsay British politicians. The policy and communications strategy have belonged to the prime minister and his special adviser Dominic Cummings. The result has been a shambles.

https://www.ft.com/content/f029ebf7-557c-46cc-81ca-ae94202d5229
    Scott_xP said:

Seizing control is all very well. Sometimes forgotten is that power is useful only when you have a notion of what you want to do with it. Boris Johnson has stumbled upon this truth during an ill-starred year in 10 Downing Street. Mr Johnson’s personal ambition never looked beyond becoming prime minister. With his hands finally on the levers of power, but lacking anything resembling a prospectus, he has been lost.

Initially, he seemed to think Brexit — “taking back control” as the Brexiters call it — would be purpose enough. In the event, his premiership is being shaped by coronavirus. Here, all the decision-making has belonged to No 10 from the outset, with no one in Brussels to gainsay British politicians. The policy and communications strategy have belonged to the prime minister and his special adviser Dominic Cummings. The result has been a shambles.

https://www.ft.com/content/f029ebf7-557c-46cc-81ca-ae94202d5229

Thought-provoking post. What is the Government going to do next year, apart from deal with the continuing problem of coronavirus?
    The answer has to be sort out trade agreements with everyone, and protect, so far as possible, the British economy. The trouble is that none of that is likely to be dramatic and eye-catching.

The answer has to be sort out trade agreements with everyone, and protect, so far as possible, the British economy. The trouble is that none of that is likely to be dramatic and eye-catching.

Oh, there will be eye-catching drama...

https://twitter.com/steverichards14/status/1291256678239932417
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Anyone handing out free money is bound to be popular. I wonder what will happen to his ratings when he wants the money back?
    Scott_xP said:

See what you mean! In other words, yes, there will be eye-catching drama, but with PM Johnson having to explain himself. And there won't be a fridge in which to hide.
    One wonders, how many old-fashioned Conservatives there still are in the House; who put honour and reputation above fortune, or perchance, becoming a Lord.
  • Anyone handing out free money is bound to be popular. I wonder what will happen to his ratings when he wants the money back?

Look beyond the "free money" crack (and of course for many people, furlough is a forced pay cut, not free money). Just compare the demeanour at briefings of the various ministers. Boris looks shambolic; Matt Hancock like a deer caught in headlights; and so on until you get to Rishi who seems confident and in command of his brief. Rishi looks like he belongs. That is why he might well succeed Boris.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Scott_xP said:

A nice little earner when Bozo was spaffing money about.

Ear loop masks are OK in offices etc, but not good enough in hot zones.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    I would guess that the chancellor's problem is less that he's out of the limelight and more that even if their job is safe, most people read in the news about wave after wave of redundancies, probably know someone who has been made redundant, or whose business is on the edge. And wonder how safe their job is.

And his answer to this is a government sponsored Meerkat Meal. Amateur hour.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Scott_xP said:

See what you mean! In other words, yes, there will be eye-catching drama, but with PM Johnson having to explain himself. And there won't be a fridge in which to hide.
    One wonders, how many old-fashioned Conservatives there still are in the House; who put honour and reputation above fortune, or perchance, becoming a Lord.
    It will be buried and never heard of again.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_xP said:
    Tried but Failed to help Desmond avoid £40m in CIL
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Scott_xP said:

None.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Anyone handing out free money is bound to be popular. I wonder what will happen to his ratings when he wants the money back?

Look beyond the "free money" crack (and of course for many people, furlough is a forced pay cut, not free money). Just compare the demeanour at briefings of the various ministers. Boris looks shambolic; Matt Hancock like a deer caught in headlights; and so on until you get to Rishi who seems confident and in command of his brief. Rishi looks like he belongs. That is why he might well succeed Boris.
    That's basically how Cameron got the gig, although that was in opposition. Personally I think Hancock has performed well in front of the press over the last six months. I know some on here think he's done a bad job, which might be the case, but in a way all that matters is, as you say, do they look the part.
    edited August 2020

You do not think that the "Eating Out" scheme is "free money"? If I can eat a meal for £20 or the same meal for £10, surely the second variation makes me £10 better off?
    edited August 2020

All the PB Brits bloated from their Rishi-roni discount blowouts. Personally think going to crowded restaurants for discount grub can be problematic at the best of times, let alone during raging pandemic.

Though you can take precautions. Such as asking for extra leeks in you soup.

It will be interesting what Track and Trace starts to pick up, or more likely local Public Health*. Are we going to see a repetition of the Aberdeen pub crawl?

I suspect in much of the country eating in is low risk, but low risk is not zero risk. With thousands of restaurants participating, even places like Leicester and Blackburn, it surely is just a matter of time.

*Local councils are proving far more effective at tracing on a fraction of the budget:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/04/english-councils-with-highest-covid-rates-launch-own-test-and-trace-systems?__twitter_impression=true
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

You do not think that the "Eating Out" scheme is "free money"? If I can eat a meal for £20 or the same meal for £10, surely the second variation makes me £10 better off?
    No! You ARE financially 10 pounds worse off. Had you not used the offer you would have been 20 pounds worse off.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088

Not if you weren't planning to eat out on a Monday evening in the first place!
    Foxy said:

It will be interesting what Track and Trace starts to pick up, or more likely local Public Health*. Are we going to see a repetition of the Aberdeen pub crawl?

• eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2020
    IanB2 said:

Even if she was planning to eat out on a Monday in the first place, she would still be financially worse off.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    edited August 2020
    eristdoof said:

No! You ARE financially 10 pounds worse off. Had you not used the offer you would have been 20 pounds worse off.
    Depends on what you were planning to eat instead.

If it was Pot Noodles, then yes, you would be £10 worse off. Plus you would be worse off still as you would eat something horrible and then probably throw it up.

If you had bought rump steak to cook at home with potatoes, maybe not.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    tlg86 said:

That's basically how Cameron got the gig, although that was in opposition. Personally I think Hancock has performed well in front of the press over the last six months. I know some on here think he's done a bad job, which might be the case, but in a way all that matters is, as you say, do they look the part.
    The problem for Hancock was that anything related to health was made his responsibility. When the PM was out of action that left him with responsibility for about 60% of what was important at the time, whilst most cabinet members had responsibility for less than 2% of priority tasks. I dont believe that anyone on the planet would have done well in that scenario so the fault for his work lies with the PM and Raab, the acting PM.

Gove and Milling, in the cabinet without any departmental responsibilities, should have stepped up to help, test, track and trace could have been led by the Home Secretary, care homes by the Communities Secretary, sourcing PPE could have been the responsibility of the Business and Industrial Strategy, leaving Hancock to focus on the NHS.

Given the hand he was dealt by his managers I would agree he has done well, but in terms of overall effectiveness it was poor because he was trying to do much, and therefore could only focus on firefighting daily issues.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

You must really hate the polls at the moment. All the effort you put in with your mind numbing retweeting and the Tories have gone up in the polls.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Scott_xP said:

This thread tells us exactly why Johnson/Cummings are so keen to emasculate judicial review. Without it, it gets much easier to throw public money at their mates.

Sounds like libel to me. Hope you have deep pockets.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Jenrick defending his bonkers planning rule changes on R4.

Or should I say Cummings's plans.

edited August 2020
    Jenrick saying very few people get involved when there is a planning application near or next to them.

Of course they don't as there are very few grounds you can complain about. People look up the list of reasons you can object and there is usually sod all.
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Even if she was planning to eat out on a Monday in the first place, she would still be financially worse off.
    Is this the Ebeneezer Scrooge school of economic thought? Earn as much as possible and spend as little as possible?

No doubt gruel will be fine whilst sitting up at night polishing your groats and shekels...

(BTW - there are no pockets in a shroud)

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Is this the Ebeneezer Scrooge school of economic thought? Earn as much as possible and spend as little as possible?

No doubt gruel will be fine whilst sitting up at night polishing your groats and shekels...

Plenty of space in a coffin though.
    Robinson now hammering Jenrick over Westferry.

Gove and Milling, in the cabinet without any departmental responsibilities, should have stepped up to help

Speaking as somebody who has met Amanda Milling a number of times and quite likes her as a person - she really, really shouldn’t. You think things are bad now? Let her loose on them and she’ll find a way to make them worse.

As for Gove...
  • eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

If you think you can’t take it with you, go and look at the Sutton Hoo exhibits at the British Museum for how our ancestors viewed the subject.
  • Jenrick defending his bonkers planning rule changes on R4.

It is time for real change to planning and as far as I can see it is vested interests including architects who are complaining most at the threat to their fee base

As long as building regulations are followed and enforced this is a long overdue change
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

No there isn't.....
  • Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

You must really hate the polls at the moment. All the effort you put in with your mind numbing retweeting and the Tories have gone up in the polls.
    Nerve, touched.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Gove and Milling, in the cabinet without any departmental responsibilities, should have stepped up to help

Speaking as somebody who has met Amanda Milling a number of times and quite likes her as a person - she really, really shouldn’t. You think things are bad now? Let her loose on them and she’ll find a way to make them worse.

As for Gove...
    I have hardly heard her speak let alone met her so cannot have a view. But again, the fault lies with the PM for his cabinet choices and delegated roles and responsibilities, not Hancock for failing to succeed on an impossible job.
  • Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.
    Quite. Scott seems pretty rattled at the moment.
  • ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

No there isn't.....
    Did you never watch Time Team?
  • Scott_xP said:

This thread tells us exactly why Johnson/Cummings are so keen to emasculate judicial review. Without it, it gets much easier to throw public money at their mates.

On what basis is it libel?

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Rishi's dishies seem to be a real hit. As some targeted expenditure to help a particularly vulnerable industry it is a clever piece of work and may well save some employment that would otherwise have been lost.

I would say he and the Treasury have had the best crisis of any government department by a distance but whether Rishi can avoid opprobrium during the more difficult days ahead remains to be seen.
  • Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.
    The closer 1st January comes the more Scott posts anti Boris/ Cummings/ HMG tweets and it is almost 24/7

However, there is little evidence they are having any effect

Boris is chaotic and mistakes are being made.

I am neutral at present over Conservative v Labour but it's certain that Starmer, or indeed anyone else, would be making multitudes of errors and really there is nobody in labour, outside of Starmer, who is recognisable by the public or gives confidence they would know what they are doing

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

If you think you can’t take it with you, go and look at the Sutton Hoo exhibits at the British Museum for how our ancestors viewed the subject.
    Our ancestors? They were East Angles.

Mine are Cruithin with likely some Pict.

It is time for real change to planning and as far as I can see it is vested interests including architects who are complaining most at the threat to their fee base

As long as building regulations are followed and enforced this is a long overdue change
    We’ll see how this one plays out. Tory areas will be most affected.

Scott_xP said:

Indeed there is a pattern:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1291264253874380800?s=19

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1290727606640357378?s=09

The closer 1st January comes the more Scott posts anti Boris/ Cummings/ HMG tweets and it is almost 24/7

On the contrary.

The number of my fans who whine incessantly about the posts is increasing steadily

You guys seem nervous about something
  • DavidL said:

Rishi's dishies seem to be a real hit. As some targeted expenditure to help a particularly vulnerable industry it is a clever piece of work and may well save some employment that would otherwise have been lost.

I would say he and the Treasury have had the best crisis of any government department by a distance but whether Rishi can avoid opprobrium during the more difficult days ahead remains to be seen.

It’s a smart gimmick. I’ve seen plenty of queues of people waiting to get into places down here in Cornwall, so it should save some jobs for a while. As you say, though, the real test for Brand Sunak is still to come.

To be honest that should not be the factor and this ripping up of red tape is long overdue, but of course building regulations must remain in place and be enforced

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

No there isn't.....
    Have you ever seen a dead body laid out in a coffin at the undertakers?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited August 2020
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The pattern here is too upset the elite/ establishment and it is working
  • ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

No there isn't.....
    Have you ever seen a dead body laid out in a coffin at the undertakers?
    I have on several occasions unfortunately
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited August 2020

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Our ancestors? They were East Angles.

Mine are Cruithin with likely some Pict.
    I was being a bit facetious, but you might be interested in this:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/visit/object-trails/death-memory-meaning

It shows that “taking it with you” is a common idea across a large part of history and pre-history.
  • Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The pattern here is too upset the elite and it is working
    The elite is loving it. This government of the elite is handing over public money left, right and centre to very wealthy, immensely privileged people. What’s to get upset about?

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    HMS Enterprise is on her way to Beirut; doubtless to provide support to the city's prostitutes and allied trades.

Echo class was always considered a plum draft in the RN due to the (relative) luxury of the crew accommodation and the unlikelihood of ever having to do any hard graft.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

The number of my fans who whine incessantly about the posts is increasing steadily

Well if they didn’t do anything wrong then There would be nothing to post would there?
  • Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The elite is loving it. This government of the elite is handing over public money left, right and centre to very wealthy, immensely privileged people. What’s to get upset about?

It has gone on in politics in all parties since politics began

I am not condoning it but am indicating that even beyond that the elite/establishment are seeing change that is driving them near insane.
  • Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

I don't see the point. No-one on this forum has any power to change anything
  • Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

But by your own logic the amount that you “whine” about the government must mean that you are nervous about something!

There is probably a technical term for the “you are complaining about something therefore I must be right” logical fallacy, but it does get a bit tedious whichever side is doing it.
  • Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

Maybe your mental health
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.
    Just stating a fact.

As can be seen by my posts about masks I most certainly do not agree with everything the Government does.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Jenrick saying very few people get involved when there is a planning application near or next to them.

Of course they don't as there are very few grounds you can complain about. People look up the list of reasons you can object and there is usually sod all.

Oh it doesnt stop them, believe me. The only area people complain with less justification if upset is rights of way modifications.

As previously observed fundamentally theres a disconnect at work here. The public want planning policies and procedures to work to say no to things, the government want policies and procedures to work to say yes to things. And in the middle you have developers messing about even if the policies are not what is holding them up.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

I am not condoning it but am indicating that even beyond that the elite/establishment are seeing change that is driving them near insane.

Johnson is the very definition of establishment elite and he is using his government's power to enrich other members of the establishment elite.

As the forum's soi disant paladin of probity I am surprised you are so sanguine about it. But, hey, 80+ majority and all that. Enjoy it while it lasts.

To be honest that should not be the factor and this ripping up of red tape is long overdue, but of course building regulations must remain in place and be enforced
    Tory cllrs going bananas is definitely going to be a factor.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Hmm, I think national lockdowns are about to become a thing in a lot of European countries again. I'm surprised that Spain hasn't already implemented a full national lockdown the figures are very bad, they are looking at 4-6k new cases per day at the moment. Only the UK and Italy look like a second wave might not be as bad, it could be because both had such publicly awful initial outbreaks that tourists are avoiding them or people are too scared to travel.
  • Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

How are Cummings, Johnson and co not part of the elite/establishment? They run the country!! They are currently in the process of centralising power and removing scrutiny. Where this ends is anyone’s guess, but up to now they are following the Orban/Erdogan playbook almost to the letter. If you don’t find that concerning, so be it - but let’s not pretend that when democracies break down it’s the existing elites that suffer.

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.

I am neutral at present over Conservative v Labour but it's certain that Starmer, or indeed anyone else, would be making multitudes of errors and really there is nobody in labour, outside of Starmer, who is recognisable by the public or gives confidence they would know what they are doing
    I think having a Shadow Chancellor with zero cut through is a particular problem for SKS. Labour remains suspect in how they would manage the economy and need both credibility and substance there.

I am sure that I have kept my disdain for Brown well hidden over the years and you may not have picked up on it but even I would accept that he had considerable substance and was a key part of the Blair proposition in 1997. SKS needs a Brown, ideally without the accompanying psychosis, and I think he will struggle until he gets one. It's very unfortunate that Ed Balls is no longer in the Commons. I think he could do worse than Ed Miliband myself.
  • MaxPB said:

Hmm, I think national lockdowns are about to become a thing in a lot of European countries again. I'm surprised that Spain hasn't already implemented a full national lockdown the figures are very bad, they are looking at 4-6k new cases per day at the moment. Only the UK and Italy look like a second wave might not be as bad, it could be because both had such publicly awful initial outbreaks that tourists are avoiding them or people are too scared to travel.

Spain’s outbreaks remain very localised. Why shut down Extremadura if most of the problems are hundreds of miles to the north-east?

edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

While theres no point in people objecting to your personal style, supernaturally divining the hidden meaning behind their doing so seems equally pointless. It's like Corbynites saying the reason Tories attacked him was they feared him winning.

Sure it was a possible motivation, but there were clearly other possible motivations which were more likely, and theres risks in presuming an attack is for the reason you want than the reason people give.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

I am reminded of Farmer Tupaq....
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Who on earth is this phantom “elite” you keep talking about? @Scott_xP ? Come on...

Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

But by your own logic the amount that you “whine” about the government must mean that you are nervous about something!

There is probably a technical term for the “you are complaining about something therefore I must be right” logical fallacy, but it does get a bit tedious whichever side is doing it.
    Yes, it goes along with the 'this upsets the right people' fallacy.

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.
    Just stating a fact.

As can be seen by my posts about masks I most certainly do not agree with everything the Government does.
    And, maybe I've misread this, but do you not also have some minor reservations about their Brexit strategy (as does @Scott_xP of course)?
    Also I've been looking into the city consensus for GDP next week, I think our estimates are much more pessimistic, the range is -10% to -14% with most coming in the upper tier at close to -10%, that would take the peak to trough drop to -16%, July has been pencilled in for +6% and August for something like +4% and I'm sticking in +3% for September. If the economy performs anywhere near that, we'd be up to 95% of peak GDP by the end of September. I have to say last night felt like things were closer to normal than most people realised.

Brining in flight restrictions from hot zones is an absolute must. People should not be allowed to arrive into the UK from any of the current red listed countries at all even if it means pissing off giant baby Trump and the airlines. The last thing we need is a bunch of irresponsible people going to India and Pakistan in October after monsoon season ends and coming back infected in December setting off a whole new wave.
  • Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Who on earth is this phantom “elite” you keep talking about? @Scott_xP ? Come on...
    The remain establishment and the liberal metropolitan elite who cannot accept brexit or change
  • Once judicial review is emasculated, there’ll be more of this, but we won’t get to know about it ...
    https://twitter.com/peter_tl/status/1291278120117469185?s=21

MaxPB said:

Spain’s outbreaks remain very localised. Why shut down Extremadura if most of the problems are hundreds of miles to the north-east?

Well there are a variety of reasons, not least of which is the ease of internal movement. I can understand why local lockdowns have become a thing again, the economics give us no choice, but I really thought that we had established as early as March from the Italian experience that they just did not work and facilitated the spread of the virus to other areas.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The remain establishment and the liberal metropolitan elite who cannot accept brexit or change
    You’re starting to sound like a conspiracy nutcase Big G. That entire comment was vacuous and without meaning.
  • Anyway it is a lovely day and time to do some outside painting

Have a good day folks, too nice not to be out and enjoying the weather

MaxPB said:

All of the recent European increases* are localised - at least that I am aware of. UK, France, Germany, Spain etc.

So local lockdowns are the pattern....

In the rush of positive/negative nationalism, it is often useful to step back and ask yourself - what is happening elsewhere?

*Not sure that "second wave" is the right term for "Increase on the tail end of epidemic curve". Like this -

• DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.

I think having a Shadow Chancellor with zero cut through is a particular problem for SKS. Labour remains suspect in how they would manage the economy and need both credibility and substance there.

I am sure that I have kept my disdain for Brown well hidden over the years and you may not have picked up on it but even I would accept that he had considerable substance and was a key part of the Blair proposition in 1997. SKS needs a Brown, ideally without the accompanying psychosis, and I think he will struggle until he gets one. It's very unfortunate that Ed Balls is no longer in the Commons. I think he could do worse than Ed Miliband myself.
    I couldn’t tell you who the Shadow Chancellor is at the moment without looking them up, and I’ve been on this site most days since a long time before Sir Kier became Labour Leader.

One of my abiding memories of Election night back in December was seeing the Ed B and George O double act on ITV and wishing that both were still senior members of their respective parties.
    edited August 2020

MaxPB said:

Because people move about and have probably already done so. Someone who went to Barcelona comes back to Birmingham, infects someone else because who gives s fuck about quarantine when the threat of consequences are zero, that person travels to Majorca and infects people there. I'm sure incidences such as these have taken place multiple times, just replace Birmingham for Madrid, Munich or Oslo.
    MaxPB said:

Also I've been looking into the city consensus for GDP next week, I think our estimates are much more pessimistic, the range is -10% to -14% with most coming in the upper tier at close to -10%, that would take the peak to trough drop to -16%, July has been pencilled in for +6% and August for something like +4% and I'm sticking in +3% for September. If the economy performs anywhere near that, we'd be up to 95% of peak GDP by the end of September. I have to say last night felt like things were closer to normal than most people realised.

Brining in flight restrictions from hot zones is an absolute must. People should not be allowed to arrive into the UK from any of the current red listed countries at all even if it means pissing off giant baby Trump and the airlines. The last thing we need is a bunch of irresponsible people going to India and Pakistan in October after monsoon season ends and coming back infected in December setting off a whole new wave.

And what do we do about the thousands of foreign students due to return over the next few weeks? Having worked so hard to limit the incidence of the virus in our own community this is an obvious and incredible risk. The Scottish government says it does not have the capacity to test them all. God alone knows why not. It should be mandatory if they are to attend classes.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

And what do we do about the thousands of foreign students due to return over the next few weeks? Having worked so hard to limit the incidence of the virus in our own community this is an obvious and incredible risk. The Scottish government says it does not have the capacity to test them all. God alone knows why not. It should be mandatory if they are to attend classes.
    That's easy, make them arrive two weeks before the start of term, test them on arrival and put them in forced quarantine if they have it. Students are very easy to track because of visa requirements.

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nerve, touched.

I couldn’t tell you who the Shadow Chancellor is at the moment without looking them up, and I’ve been on this site most days since a long time before Sir Kier became Labour Leader.

One of my abiding memories of Election night back in December was seeing the Ed B and George O double act on ITV and wishing that both were still senior members of their respective parties.
    Absolutely, they were excellent and clearly really liked each other.
    Interesting. Not in the manifesto? I thought FPTP protected us from policies not in the manifesto? Clearly not.
    Scott_xP said:
    I think that first point is perfectly right, but I wonder if they truly have the guts to push it further when the effects become clear.
  • DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Well there are a variety of reasons, not least of which is the ease of internal movement. I can understand why local lockdowns have become a thing again, the economics give us no choice, but I really thought that we had established as early as March from the Italian experience that they just did not work and facilitated the spread of the virus to other areas.
    Ease of internal movement is an issue, for sure. It’s very tough to get from NE Spain to SE Spain without being able to fly. It is not a regular journey. Spain is a very big country with a lot of empty bits between population centres away from the coasts and Madrid. At this stage, it’s hard to see the case for a national lockdown.

• Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

Maybe your mental health
    Ouch.

Scott_xP said:

On the contrary.

Fysics Teacher and Ydoethur do, by instilling ambition and inspiration into young minds.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

The plans protect the green belt, they simply ensure planning permission is granted to individual schemes in zones approved for planning permission under council local plans
    MaxPB said:

What do you think of -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53675467

??
This discussion has been closed.