Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 65 years of Tory Prime Ministers – their educational backgroun

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Excess deaths not a huge surprise. I think it was pretty clear wed be near the top in Europe if not the top.

What's impressive is that the ONS have got the figures disaggregated to quite a detailed level. The outbreak in Spain is mainly on the plain.
    Although you'd think ONS was UK-wide, it seems that here in Scotland we have our own stats, so does the disaggregation you refer to extend north of Hadrian's wall?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2020
    Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

The influence of Eton is more concerning than that of Oxford Uni. Hopefully "Boris" Johnson is the last of this dismal breed to realize their 'born to misrule' destiny.

Why would he be the last when the public has been shown as perfectly willing to elect Old Etonians? If anything recent performance from Cameron and Boris will make more Old Etonians realise such a destiny, after a long time without one as PM.
    I fear you are right. The egalitarian spirit is not at this present time in the ascendancy.
    Why should the public saddle themselves with worse Prime Ministers with all that means just because of the school they went to? Being Prime Minister is such an important job that you want the best person for it, regardless of irrelevant considerations.

On this, as so often, the masses are much more sensible than those who want to be their spokesmen.
    Eton has a very specific culture among public schools, though. Its higher quality of teaching in some areas isn't just a neutral consideration of the highest possible quality of input for potential prime ministers. It carries a very strong assumption, transmitted right through its history and ethos, of the right to rule.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

The dominance of Eton in Tory PMs is even greater when one remembers that PMs Thatcher and (possibly, in terms of admitting females to the sixth form at the time?) May were disqualified from Eton anyway by being girls.

Stonking point. Thus of the last 7 eligible Tory PMs, FIVE (!) went to Eton. A scandal really when you stop to think about it. How on earth can this be?
    Because the public voted for them?
    The public voted for them once the choice had been narrowed down to 2.

The dominance of Eton would be fine if it was a school where you got in by virtue of your own intelligence but an Eton education frequently gets people into positions that they would never achieve on merit.
    You have to pass an entrance exam to get into Eton and they also provide scholarships
    Is that questions on how many peers in the family and/or how large is your parents bank book, how many country homes do you have
    The child of a former Dean of Faculty allegedly suffered ribbing at Harrow because he lived in a house with a street number. It was actually one of poshest streets in Scotland but it availed him not.

Social equality in action.
    The north side of my cul-de-sac is all named and not numbered..
    There's probably a cream you can get for that.
    There is a street near us with a section with all names. You wonder whether one person gets a name and they feel they all have to. Some of the names are quite tacky though like "Being There"
    My house (my first) is 'umble number 42. I've passingly wondered about 'naming it' but wondering if they just let you do away with the number? Not sure it's that simple and must be extremely annoying from a postal perspective.
    Our whole street is named on the original title deeds. Changing from a number to a name must piss posties off royally.
    Did a Christmas on the post while in the Vith Form. Really enjoyed it. But streets with just names were a pain until you learned the sequence.
    I think it was Evelyn Waugh who pointed out that the archetypical English address took the form "Aspens, Much Grumbling, Blankshire". To need to specify a street is the epitome of social disgrace. Adding a name ("Dungambling"?) only draws attention to it.
  • Options

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

The influence of Eton is more concerning than that of Oxford Uni. Hopefully "Boris" Johnson is the last of this dismal breed to realize their 'born to misrule' destiny.

Why would he be the last when the public has been shown as perfectly willing to elect Old Etonians? If anything recent performance from Cameron and Boris will make more Old Etonians realise such a destiny, after a long time without one as PM.
    I fear you are right. The egalitarian spirit is not at this present time in the ascendancy.
    Why should the public saddle themselves with worse Prime Ministers with all that means just because of the school they went to? Being Prime Minister is such an important job that you want the best person for it, regardless of irrelevant considerations.

On this, as so often, the masses are much more sensible than those who want to be their spokesmen.
    Eton has a very specific culture among public schools, though. Its higher quality of teaching in some areas isn't just a neutral consideration of the highest possible quality of input for potential prime ministers. It carries a very strong assumption, transmitted right through its history and ethos, of the right to rule.
    Not so much the "right to rule" but the obligation to serve, I think.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    DavidL said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

I think a more interesting question is what is about an Etonian education that makes you suitable for the role of PM? Cameron describes his time at Eton only briefly but what I think is obvious from his and other accounts is that it is designed to develop strong traits of self confidence, self starting, the ability to think for yourself and a desire to find something that you are genuinely good at.

Which makes it a bit of a shame that so many of them are obsessed with politics really. I sure that they could have done great things in the sciences, for example. But other schools, state and private, should give some thought as to what they can learn from this.
    But that's the beauty of politics. You don't need any formal qualifications.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    geoffw said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

From my own view, I don't see much sense of obligation in Boris Johnson, or in fact even in Rees-Mogg, but I do see plenty of entitled confidence.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

The dominance of Eton in Tory PMs is even greater when one remembers that PMs Thatcher and (possibly, in terms of admitting females to the sixth form at the time?) May were disqualified from Eton anyway by being girls.

Stonking point. Thus of the last 7 eligible Tory PMs, FIVE (!) went to Eton. A scandal really when you stop to think about it. How on earth can this be?

The dominance of Eton would be fine if it was a school where you got in by virtue of your own intelligence but an Eton education frequently gets people into positions that they would never achieve on merit.
    You have to pass an entrance exam to get into Eton and they also provide scholarships
    Is that questions on how many peers in the family and/or how large is your parents bank book, how many country homes do you have
    The child of a former Dean of Faculty allegedly suffered ribbing at Harrow because he lived in a house with a street number. It was actually one of poshest streets in Scotland but it availed him not.

There is a street near us with a section with all names. You wonder whether one person gets a name and they feel they all have to. Some of the names are quite tacky though like "Being There"
    My house (my first) is 'umble number 42. I've passingly wondered about 'naming it' but wondering if they just let you do away with the number? Not sure it's that simple and must be extremely annoying from a postal perspective.
    Our whole street is named on the original title deeds. Changing from a number to a name must piss posties off royally.
    Did a Christmas on the post while in the Vith Form. Really enjoyed it. But streets with just names were a pain until you learned the sequence.
    I think it was Evelyn Waugh who pointed out that the archetypical English address took the form "Aspens, Much Grumbling, Blankshire". To need to specify a street is the epitome of social disgrace. Adding a name ("Dungambling"?) only draws attention to it.
    PS. I might add that when a young man Waugh would walk up the hill from his father's house in NW5 to post letters in NW3 to secure the cachet of a superior postmark.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

and Focus deliverers.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

In the 21st century with online deliveries as well as post etc I can't understand why anyone would want a street with names rather than numbers. Its ineffective nonsense.

Names as well as numbers fair enough. But all homes should have a number, street name and a postcode.

That is hugely redundant, all you need is postcodes at the individual house level rather than the current postcode area level. And the relevant technology is already there, houses can be accurately identified by google maps pins, or what3words.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    edited July 2020
    Nigelb said:

Covid-19 infections leave an impact on the heart, raising concerns about lasting damage
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/
    Two new studies from Germany paint a sobering picture of the toll that Covid-19 takes on the heart, raising the specter of long-term damage after people recover, even if their illness was not severe enough to require hospitalization.

One study examined the cardiac MRIs of 100 people who had recovered from Covid-19 and compared them to heart images from 100 people who were similar but not infected with the virus. Their average age was 49 and two-thirds of the patients had recovered at home. More than two months later, infected patients were more likely to have troubling cardiac signs than people in the control group: 78 patients showed structural changes to their hearts, 76 had evidence of a biomarker signaling cardiac injury typically found after a heart attack, and 60 had signs of inflammation.

These were relatively young, healthy patients who fell ill in the spring, Valentina Puntmann, who led the MRI study, pointed out in an interview. Many of them had just returned from ski vacations. None of them thought they had anything wrong with their hearts...

There's scope for a sci-fi novel here. Covid-19 being released by aliens to soften us up: not bad enough to get us to truly lock down enough to get rid of it, but affecting enough of us to make us very vulnerable to the next infection.

Step 1 - "You probably won't die of Covid if you're not too old - unless you've got co-morbidities"
    Step 2- Instead, you recover and end up with co-morbidities ... for the next illness...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

I submit that one cannot contemplate the current occupant and conclude with any degree of confidence that we tend to get the best person for the job.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

So literally about crowd control, then ?
    Or, alternatively, crown control.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    geoffw said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

At it's best maybe. Of course, many who think they are born to rule might justify it to themselves as us plebs being so lucky as to be 'served' by them.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

In the 21st century with online deliveries as well as post etc I can't understand why anyone would want a street with names rather than numbers. Its ineffective nonsense.

Names as well as numbers fair enough. But all homes should have a number, street name and a postcode.

Today's Libertarian Update.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

He was, of course, the most frightful snob.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Morning all,

Feels like grim news on the plague this morning. Ten days isolation, warnings that in two weeks we could have another surge etc etc.

:-(

I do wish this Government would move away from the notion that part of being an aspirational Tory is the requirement to travel abroad several times a year for your holidays. Firstly, it buggers the balance of payments. Secondly, in current circumstaces it buggers the health of the nation.

Currently the wider world is still full of Covid. The UK is not - at a high cost to get there. We should be taking a wide range of measures to ensure that the two systems do not achieve equilibrium.

That will require some very hard-nosed decisions on stopping travel from the sub-Continent. It will be tagged by the usual suspects as "racism". It isn't. It is protecting the most at risk in our community - which evidence shows to include those of sub-continent heritage.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

So that's what U2 were on about...
    I want to run, I want to hide
    I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside
    I wanna reach out and touch the flame
    Where the streets have no name
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

He was, of course, the most frightful snob.
    Endearingly so.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Excess deaths not a huge surprise. I think it was pretty clear wed be near the top in Europe if not the top.

What's impressive is that the ONS have got the figures disaggregated to quite a detailed level. The outbreak in Spain is mainly on the plain.
    Although you'd think ONS was UK-wide, it seems that here in Scotland we have our own stats, so does the disaggregation you refer to extend north of Hadrian's wall?
    Why exclude most of Newcastle? @Gallowgate would be very upset I am sure.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Failed with Boris, then.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

As the economic consequences of lockdown and project fear come home to roost and the medicine of furlough starts to wear off, I sense this morning that the mood is turning against the government.

Hostile articles on normally supporting sites, and plenty of angry comments.

Meanwhile Yahoo reports 11,000 job losses in the car industry in the tory midlands

This is just the start. Winter is coming.

Winter is here.

But the white walkers are elsewhere. We are coming out of lockdown while nations that haven't squished the virus as well as we have (like the USA) are struggling more. Will be interesting to see in 12 months time where our economy is compared to theirs.
    aka doing the So Far shuffle.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    But guess I could make a PBTory shitpost and chase some ambulances. Could.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Personal choice is one reason.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

True, and one of the worst things New Labour did was to abolish the assisted places scheme, under which the talented but poor had their fees paid for by the state.
    Tokenism to provide a fig leaf for the nakedly indefensible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

And when the houses are named without a number on the original title deeds ?!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Why exclude most of Newcastle? @Gallowgate would be very upset I am sure.
    You’re right there. I live north of Hadrian’s Wall, and there’s another 60 miles of England north of me.
  • Options

But guess I could make a PBTory shitpost and chase some ambulances. Could.

What's the meaning of "ambulance chasing" in this context, please? It's cvome up today and I can't make head or tail of it (I do know the US accident liability lawyer meaning).
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    edited July 2020
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

I doubt it. Rich people dont like talking about money I'm told, its gauche.
    The correct answer is surely a spirited defence of private property, a mild admission of the wrongs of slavery/feudalism whilst being careful to note we shouldn't judge by the moral standards of today, a nod and a wink to the idea that you too believe the rich and wealthy to come from superior stock.

Then round off by saying that you feel that because you are in a privileged position you have a duty to *serve* the public by putting your talents at their disposal in a leadership position.

Bonus marks for any polo/cricketing metaphors used along the way.

;)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited July 2020
    geoffw said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Yes serve their own interests, they should blow the place up or hand it over to Slough and incorporated into the local education system
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

I see no scandal. It simply shows that Eton is a good school and should be encouraged to be as good as it can be so that the public sector can learn from it.
    Hilarious trolling.
    I dunno. If teachers were paid double what they are in the state sector and had a 1:7 SSR (without checking) I think many of our educational problems would disappear.
    Is that a policy you support then - you being paid double?
    I’d settle for that SSR myself.

I’ve seen a lot of my colleagues head off to the independent sector over the years. Possibly half of the ones that don’t leave by retirement.
    Maybe not double (salary) but I will launch myself into your good books by saying that imo the transformation of teaching into a high status high pay profession to rank with law and medicine is my silver bullet along with 100% comps, no privates, resource skewed towards disadvantaged areas.

"Mum, I've decided to become an investment banker."

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

"You don't seem pleased."

"It's not that. It's just that you're so bright and everything - me and your father were rather hoping you might aim a little higher than that. Try and get into teaching even."
    Unless you make all comps outstanding that is never happening, middle class parents will not touch inadequate or requires improvement comps with a bargepole
    They will need to elevate and keep their eyes on the prize.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

42; the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. According to the late Douglas Adams.
    It's why Sanjeev Bhaskar went for 42:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kumars_at_No._42
    All sixes and sevens.

Sixes and nines.

With regard to teaching, the biggest problems start well before secondary school. My mother was a teacher in a local primary school a good number of years ago now. A fight in the playground was broken up and an enquiry was made as to what the fight was about.

The answer? "His Dad shot my Dad"

What can you do?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Or have a differenty number for original lot and street address. A friend had to send out change of address cards when his new estate was renumbered within months of moving in. Why, I do not know.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    slade said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

and Focus deliverers.
    And political foot-soldiers delivering targeted literature. The postcode can get you so far, but in rural Devon that seems to cover quite a wide area sometimes.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    In the pre-Thatcherite days, Eton did produce a fair few tory wets with a strong obligation to serve, to go with the assumption of power. A problem is that more recent changes in culture can supercharge a concept of individual entitlement rather than service at institutions like Eton.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Andy_JS said:

Personal choice doesn't explain why you'd want it. I could choose to stick my head in a fully heated oven too but I can't understand why anyone would want to do that either.

The purpose of an address isn't for you to find your own home, you presumably already know where you live. The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.

Do some people choose not to have a post code either?
  • Options
    I once very successfully chatted up a girl by breaking the ice by quipping that me and her might be the only people in the class without a house with a name. Turns out her house had a name.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    We've been hit hardest in Europe by Covid-19 because of a combination of high population density and an unhealthy population. The Netherlands is more densely populated but they're healthier than we are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Did those homes have a post code on their original title deeds? Do they have one now?
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Why are all the other public (i.e. private) schools so unsatisfactory that they can't rustle up a Tory PM between them?

Am I right in thinking that the state comprehensive system (widely in place since about 1967) has yet to produce a PM?

Gordon Brown was at Kirkcaldy High School.

Theresa May’s school became a comp while she was there. However, she was probably still in a de facto legacy grammar school.
    Wiki says Brown was fast streamed, which doesn't sound especially comprehensive to me.
    It sounds like a decent comprehensive to me - I don't know of any comprehensive that wouldn't have (at the very least) streamed maths and english lessons. Especially in maths where the A-C grade paper was entirely different to the C-G grade paper.
    I went to a comp and we had streaming. What defines a comp is intake by catchment area rather than interview and exam.
    Also the absence of state selective education options, the moment you introduce a grammar school the comp effectively becomes a secondary modern
    Yes. Which is the problem. Streaming within schools - with flexibility through to at least age 15 - is very different to streaming between schools with a momentous pass/fail fork in the road at 11.
    I am so with you on this through personal experience. I failed my 11 plus (although have no memory of taking it. What is more I was streamed in the secondary modern in a class that would be expected to leave without qualifications and in hindsight that was a fair assessment.

However I blossomed by the 3rd or 4th year. When taking the exams to decide whether you took O levels, CSEs or nothing I came top in the school in all subjects except English (in which I did OK).

I went on to the local grammar school where I was fast tracked taking A levels early and went on to Manchester to do a degree in Mathematics.

So what is the problem you may ask. Well because of the split at 11 I had no opportunity to do languages, English Literature, Music, etc, however I did useless stuff for me namely metalwork, woodwork, etc (I am useless at practical stuff). Equally when I went to the Grammar school there were boys there who had no option to do the practical stuff, but could study Russian, German, etc.

Why oh why split at 11. Stream as you go along.
    So you escaped (sort of) but that was a close shave for you. I think I agree with @rkrkrk that the hankering to bring back grammars and the 11+ is not common amongst under 50s. I hope that's the case anyway. To me it seems an absurd and borderline cruel way to carry on, getting 11 year olds to sit a single formal exam with binary outcome, the serious consequences of which will be with them for life - a life that has at that point barely started.
    I escaped by luck because it was maths. If I was talented in languages, music etc I would have been stuffed. Equally I saw lots of grammar school boys drop out because of lack of opportunity on their side for practical stuff.

It was also notable that those of us who transferred seemed to be above average for the group taking A levels at the Grammar school. In my case I was fast tracked with 3 other boys (albeit all from the Grammar school). I concluded that it would absurd to assume we were better (after all the 11 plus will generally be accurate) but that many who were slightly less talented than those who transferred, but still capable of making the transfer, had been conditioned by the Secondary school ethos to go and get a job and missed the opportunity.

And as another point of reference (which will mean anyone who can be arsed will be able to find out a lot about me) - One boy in my year went on to win a Nobel prize! He was not fast tracked and went on to a pretty average Uni. I would like to say I knew him well, but have no memory whatsoever of him.
    Just tell us , no time for detective work
    I assume you mean him and not me. Nobody is interested in me.

Kazuo Ishiguro

Apologise to anyone who went to the same Unis. I'm sure they are great.
    omg - Never Let me Go.
    Glad your impressed but I should repeat that I have absolutely no recollection of him whatsoever. I might as well have been at school with Mother Teresa (at least I would probably have remembered her)
    It's a fascinating and original novel. I wonder if it was germinating whilst he was there. Slightly worrying if something about the school triggered the idea for that story!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

In the pre-Thatcherite days, Eton did produce a fair few tory wets with a strong obligation to serve. One of the problems is that more recent changes in culture can supercharge a concept of individual entitlement rather than service at institutions like Eton.

All Etonian Tory PMs bar maybe Home were on the left of the party. The only other public school Tory PM since WW2 was Churchill who was Harrow which has the reputation of being less soft than Eton, Baldwin was also Harrow.

2 Labour post war PMs went to public school, Attlee to Haileybury and Blair to Fettes
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Personal choice doesn't explain why you'd want it. I could choose to stick my head in a fully heated oven too but I can't understand why anyone would want to do that either.

The purpose of an address isn't for you to find your own home, you presumably already know where you live. The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.

Philip, some (My) house doesn't have a number !!

People should stick to whatever comes up in here https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode, but if people want to change give out a false name or number to Amazon or whoever that's up to them at the cost of potentially missed deliveries and so forth.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

I see no scandal. It simply shows that Eton is a good school and should be encouraged to be as good as it can be so that the public sector can learn from it.
    Hilarious trolling.
    I dunno. If teachers were paid double what they are in the state sector and had a 1:7 SSR (without checking) I think many of our educational problems would disappear.

I’ve seen a lot of my colleagues head off to the independent sector over the years. Possibly half of the ones that don’t leave by retirement.
    Maybe not double (salary) but I will launch myself into your good books by saying that imo the transformation of teaching into a high status high pay profession to rank with law and medicine is my silver bullet along with 100% comps, no privates, resource skewed towards disadvantaged areas.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

"It's not that. It's just that you're so bright and everything - me and your father were rather hoping you might aim a little higher than that. Try and get into teaching even."
    Unless you make all comps outstanding that is never happening, middle class parents will not touch inadequate or requires improvement comps with a bargepole
    By sending their children private to a grammar or by buying a house in an outstanding comp or academy catchment area or going to church more often to get a vicar's note to get into one
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

People should stick to whatever comes up in here https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode, but if people want to change give out a false name or number to Amazon or whoever that's up to them at the cost of potentially missed deliveries and so forth.
    I agree that some don't have one, but I do think that giving all homes a number shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

I presume you've been given a post code already despite the fact that your original title deed didn't have one?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

An interesting table, but I think the really interesting questions about Oxford's dominance are, why and does it matter? On why, does Oxford take good students and form them in some way so that some of them become particularly ambitious for, and suited to, a political career? Or are intelligent 18-year-olds who want a political career most likely to choose Oxford? Or does having "Oxford" on your CV give you a particular advantage in UK politics?

I’ll go for option 3.

A few years ago, I was interviewing three candidates for a teaching post. I reported back to the director with a candid assessment of each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses.

One of them was at Oxford. I put him bottom of the three because he was a nice guy and obviously very bright but also muddled, inefficient and had no administrative experience.

He got the job, and the director admitted it was because this candidate was at Oxford. He wanted the prestige of that degree as part of what he was offering.

And until I left the following year, all his colleagues (and later his manager) commented ‘lovely guy. But...’ before detailing some cockup he had made through his lack of sense.

So it does make a huge difference to future career prospects. Not necessarily because the graduates of Oxford are better, although I have no doubt many of them are but because they are guaranteed a hearing and people tend to see what they expect, not what is there.
    Teaching is largely about crowd control, certainly until A Level, so while an Oxford degree might improve your skills as a commercial lawyer or academic it does not make much difference in the classroom
    Crowd control? I thought it was about teaching.
    You cannot teach teenagers without having crowd control first
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree that some don't have one, but I do think that giving all homes a number shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

I presume you've been given a post code already despite the fact that your original title deed didn't have one?
    Perhaps if you have a moment you could set out the UK's house numbering and recognition system and let us all know so that we can amend accordingly.

This is in, what, Chapter 5 of the Libertarian's User Guide?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

What difference does it make if the house has a number or not to whether or not a delivery driver can find it or not? If the number is not displayed, it’s pretty much irrelivent.

Also you cannot always rely on one side of street being even, other being odd, and counting. Sometimes they just go up in 1s.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    HYUFD said:

In the pre-Thatcherite days, Eton did produce a fair few tory wets with a strong obligation to serve. One of the problems is that more recent changes in culture can supercharge a concept of individual entitlement rather than service at institutions like Eton.

All Etonian Tory PMs bar maybe Home were on the left of the party. The only other public school Tory PM since WW2 was Churchill who was Harrow which has the reputation of being less soft than Eton, Baldwin was also Harrow.

2 Labour post war PMs went to public school, Attlee to Haileybury and Blair to Fettes
    I would say nearly all of the prominent post-1980s products of Eton in modern politics have shown signs of a culture of individual entitlement. Cameron, Johnson, Rees-Mogg and others. One of the only exceptions I would note, for me, is Jo Johnson.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

Maybe the government should do something about inadequate or requiring improvement comps then.
    It does, it makes them academies and brings in new heads
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

You're proposing a massive beaurocratic exercise assigning every house outwith a number on https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode to be assigned a number instead of sticking with the original Postal Address File name ?!
    And you call yourself a libertarian ?!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

By sending their children private to a grammar or by buying a house in an outstanding comp or academy catchment area or going to church more often to get a vicar's note to get into one
    The left a) imagines a perfect society where everyone does what they are "supposed" to; and b) always forgets human nature.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Today's Libertarian Update.
    Just personal preference, not suggesting anything should be compelled by law. Is it illiberal to have personal preferences?

When I was younger I worked with a delivery business and those have become ubiquitous in the 21st century. Finding a house with a name on a long street is a PITA, and frequently involved calling and disturbing the person I was trying to drive to in order to find out where on the street their address is, something that numbers eliminate.

Maybe it wasn't an issue in prior centuries when anyone who needed your address might know the entire street well but in the year 2020 it is frankly bonkers not to use numbers in my personal opinion. It makes as much sense to me as refusing to give a postal code.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.
    That hasn't been true at any time this century.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

You're proposing a massive beaurocratic exercise assigning every house outwith a number on https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode to be assigned a number instead of sticking with the original Postal Address File name ?!
    I don't think giving addresses a number is that massive or bureaucratic.

You keep referring to that postcode website but don't answer my question. Originally addresses didn't have postcodes either. Postcodes were an addition because they were logical. So too are numbers.

Did your original title deed have a post code? Yes or no?
    Does your address today have a post code? Yes or no?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    geoffw said:

SandraMc said:

My husband often laughs at me for watching TV quiz shows but I say they are a useful guide to public perception. At least 3 times I have seen a contestant answer the question: "Name a Post-War British Prime Minister who didn't go to university" with "Harold Wilson". Wilson was one of the most academic Prime Ministers we have had and yet the public perception of him is that he was an ordinary bloke.

Academics are ordinary blokes too. Well, some of them.

Wilson carefully cultivated his "ordinary bloke" image, pipe and pint in public, brandy and cigar in private.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

You keep referring to that postcode website but don't answer my question. Originally addresses didn't have postcodes either. Postcodes were an addition because they were logical. So too are numbers.

But what’s the benefit? You’re better off just using co-ordinates.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

No one is a perfect libertarian, socialist, conservative or something else
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

Maybe the government should do something about inadequate or requiring improvement comps then.
    And still they fail calling them academies changes bugger all.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

What difference does it make if the house has a number or not to whether or not a delivery driver can find it or not? If the number is not displayed, it’s pretty much irrelivent.

Also you cannot always rely on one side of street being even, other being odd, and counting. Sometimes they just go up in 1s.
    It makes a massive difference.

When I was younger I had a job that involved doing part time deliveries in the evenings and weekends and it took me seconds driving on a street to be able to be able to easily spot whether it was an odds & evens street or a linear number street.

Secondly even if not every address has an easily viewable number those that do can help you rapidly find the right address. If you're able to figure out the numbers are odds and evens and you can see a sign saying 71, 69 and are looking for number 35 you need to go much further. If you can see 37 then pull over because you're there. If you're looking for address Aardvark and can see property Giraffe that gives you no clue whatsoever as to whether the property you're looking for is next door or thirty houses away.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Certainly, changing your address without officially changing your 'Postal Address File' (thanks @Nichomar) would be silly, and I don't think anyone here is proposing that.

The purpose of me adding a name would be to lend my homestead some 'olde worlde' charm. It wouldn't be entirely unwarranted - it is listed. Ideally the name would relate to the building's original purpose, which I think was commercial.

WRT dropping the number, that would just lend a lick of supposed authenticity to the whole exercise. But would need to be balanced with the possible drawbacks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

No, the number or name almost invariably came with the house. And properties are known by that on the Postal address finder. It'd confuse everyone, particularly the postman, if we switched to numbers on my street.
    If someone really can't find me I can what3words the address.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

When I was younger I had a job that involved doing part time deliveries in the evenings and weekends and it took me seconds driving on a street to be able to be able to easily spot whether it was an odds & evens street or a linear number street.

Secondly even if not every address has an easily viewable number those that do can help you rapidly find the right address. If you're able to figure out the numbers are odds and evens and you can see a sign saying 71, 69 and are looking for number 35 you need to go much further. If you can see 37 then pull over because you're there. If you're looking for address Aardvark and can see property Giraffe that gives you no clue whatsoever as to whether the property you're looking for is next door or thirty houses away.
    So you’re going to legally mandate that houses have to visibly display numbers?

These days you can just put the full address into Google Maps.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.
    Which part?

That the purpose of an address isn't to help others find your home?
    Or that number, name and postcode is the best way of doing so?

Its not the only way, but it is the best way.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

No I never said legally mandate.

I said I can't understand why people want it. No more than that.

Why do some people think anyone expressing a personal preference wants their own preference enforced by law? The law doesn't have to get involved to enforce everyone's personal preferences, that's very illiberal.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Why do some people think anyone expressing a personal preference wants their own preference enforced by law? The law doesn't have to get involved to enforce everyone's personal preferences, that's very illiberal.
    If you don’t legally mandate that people display numbers, the whole concept is a waste of time. You can have a whole street of houses that numbers, but none of them are displayed, or used, so they are pointless.

Everyone uses sat-navs these days. Just use lat/longitude if you want to use a number system.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Andy_JS said:

How about a compromise in the name of freedom?

People will have the freedom not to bother with a number for their house.
    Posties and delivery companies will now have the freedom not to bother to deliver to a house without a number.

Maximum freedom for all.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

If you don’t legally mandate that people display numbers, the whole concept is a waste of time. You can have a whole street of houses that numbers, but none of them are displayed, or used, so they are pointless.
    That's completely not the case!

No as I even said in the post that you quoted if you can only see some of the numbers then the few that you can see give valuable insight into where in the street that you are. You don't need to be able to see every number so long as you can count! If I'm looking for number 69 and I can see numbers 71 and 67 then I don't need to see number 69's number.

Names aren't sequential, numbers are. I like numbers.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    El ministro de Sanidad indica en el Congreso que se han registrado 527 brotes de coronavirus y que en la actualidad hay 412 focos activos. Ver detalles en el mapa:

Flourish logoA Flourish map
    There was supposed to be a map there but it hasn’t copied.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

No as I even said in the post that you quoted if you can only see some of the numbers then the few that you can see give valuable insight into where in the street that you are. You don't need to be able to see every number so long as you can count! If I'm looking for number 69 and I can see numbers 71 and 67 then I don't need to see number 69's number.
    But Google Maps running on my phone is already taking me directly to the door of “Sunshine View”, so who cares?

Besides, my example concerns whole streets without numbers.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

And still they fail calling them academies changes bugger all.
    Not always

https://governorsforschools.org.uk/blog/the-journey-from-inadequate-to-outstanding/
    https://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news/formerly-inadequate-newark-school-rated-good-by-ofsted-9084618/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

No, the number or name almost invariably came with the house. And properties are known by that on the Postal address finder. It'd confuse everyone, particularly the postman, if we switched to numbers on my street.
    "Collect House Burglary" would work.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Posties and delivery companies will now have the freedom not to bother to deliver to a house without a number.

Maximum freedom for all.
    :)

I never suggested to anyone that anything should be enforced. But I somewhat suspect that the companies will still take orders and expect their staff to deliver to them even if people don't bother trying to make it easier for others.

If you intend to live as a hermit then do as you please. But if you want deliveries then not bothering with making a property easily identifiable but still placing orders is IMO simply selfish. Being selfish is of course and should remain entirely legal.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Can you explain what3words is please saw it on news yesterday never heard of it before
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Which part?

It's like googling things. You no longer have to drill hierarchically down to find a bit of information, you go straight to it. If you want to know who was king of france in 1453 you just search that, you don't have to go library > history > europe > France > 15th century. Similarly every house already has multiple searchable unique identifiers (lat/long, google pin, what3words) so you don't have to drill down town>street>postcode (a ludicrous 20th century fudge) >number.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Can you explain what3words is please saw it on news yesterday never heard of it before
    It’s crap because its proprietary, and if you have enough phone signal to find what your “what3words” are, you have enough signal to send somebody your exact GPS location anyway.
  • Options
    @Andy_Cooke , @AndyJS What number would I even use though - neither of my neighbours have a number and the even numbered houses aren't 'opposite' ! There'd be absolubtely no benefit to me assigning myself say the number 11 rather than keeping the name.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Andy_JS said:

Maximum freedom for all.
    What a childish comment.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

But Google Maps running on my phone is already taking me directly to the door of “Sunshine View”, so who cares?

Its been a long time since I worked in the industry, which was the early days of Google Maps. But then at least the sat navs were far from perfect at taking directly to the door - very frequently taking to wrong part of the street.

Even still sat navs are not perfect, if I get Google to direct me to my parent's address then it takes me to the wrong end of the street - I know where they live so find it easily enough, I just use the sat nav in case of traffic issues on the motorway etc, but even still the address is simply wrong part of the street on the satnav.

As for your hypothetical example of a whole numbered street without any visible numbers - well in making thousands of deliveries when I was younger I never once saw that hypothetical example actually happen. I did waste much time struggling to find named properties, I did spend tiny amounts of time trying to identify a property based on nearby visible numbers, but never an entire street without any visible numbers.
  • Options
    Good blog post on why what3words is crap: https://blog.ldodds.com/2016/06/14/what-3-words-jog-on-mate/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    @Philip_Thompson Should we replace street names with numbers and have purely numeric postcodes?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Its been a long time since I worked in the industry, which was the early days of Google Maps. But then at least the sat navs were far from perfect at taking directly to the door - very frequently taking to wrong part of the street.

Even still sat navs are not perfect, if I get Google to direct me to my parent's address then it takes me to the wrong end of the street - I know where they live so find it easily enough, I just use the sat nav in case of traffic issues on the motorway etc, but even still the address is simply wrong part of the street on the satnav.

As for your hypothetical example of a whole numbered street without any visible numbers - well in making thousands of deliveries when I was younger I never once saw that hypothetical example actually happen. I did waste much time struggling to find named properties, I did spend tiny amounts of time trying to identify a property based on nearby visible numbers, but never an entire street without any visible numbers.
    Just make the UK address database open source so that Google Maps/Apple Maps/Open Street Map can integrate better. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Andy_Cooke , @AndyJS What number would I even use though - neither of my neighbours have a number and the even numbered houses aren't 'opposite' ! There'd be absolubtely no benefit to me assigning myself say the number 11 rather than keeping the name.

Have you been assigned a post code? Who did that?

There is absolutely 100% benefit if the whole street goes for getting a number.

Your postie may know your street houses by name if he regularly does deliveries but does every Amazon driver? Every Domino's driver? Every Hermes, DPD, Just Eat, Deliveroo, whatever driver you get to go to your home?

What harm is done by the whole street opting for getting a number and putting it out to be displayed? Or do you never expect anyone to find your address?
  • Options
    Another reason why what3words is crap is because it lacks all sense of spacial awareness. There’s no way to tell whether XXX is close to YYY, or on the other side of the world.
  • Options
    Absolutely loving the contradictory statements about reasons for barring people from being candidates in HK to no deprivation of basic rights. Barred for objections in principle to the security law. Freedom.

They just dont give a shit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53593187
  • Options

@Philip_Thompson Should we replace street names with numbers and have purely numeric postcodes?

I see no advantage to that whatsoever.

Finding a street is not difficult, finding an address on a street can be. And letters within postcodes are extremely, extremely useful.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:

Have you been assigned a post code? Who did that?

There is absolutely 100% benefit if the whole street goes for getting a number.

Your postie may know your street houses by name if he regularly does deliveries but does every Amazon driver? Every Domino's driver? Every Hermes, DPD, Just Eat, Deliveroo, whatever driver you get to go to your home?

What harm is done by the whole street opting for getting a number and putting it out to be displayed? Or do you never expect anyone to find your address?
    Does the industry actually care about this, or is this all based upon your experience as a paper boy 20 years ago?

In my experience delivery drivers these days just blindly follow where there phones tell them to go.

We should therefore make our address system better work electronically. Rather than mess around with displayed numbers.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Which part?

It's like googling things. You no longer have to drill hierarchically down to find a bit of information, you go straight to it. If you want to know who was king of france in 1453 you just search that, you don't have to go library > history > europe > France > 15th century. Similarly every house already has multiple searchable unique identifiers (lat/long, google pin, what3words) so you don't have to drill down town>street>postcode (a ludicrous 20th century fudge) >number.
    That's just not true. Not one of those are used for deliveries. Never in my life have I placed an order on a website and been asked for, or given, my longitude and latitude. Never when I worked in the industry did I ever be given someone's longitude and latitude. Google pins etc work for businesses which make much more sense going by name (if I want to get to Morrisons I can easily see Morrisons name, no need for a number) but that's different to houses.

You may wish we went for longitude/latitude but we don't. How many deliveries have you personally made to a house with that identifier?
  • Options
    Must say I am amazed at the visceral reaction to philip Thompsons suggestion on postal addresses, I didn't know people cared so much.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Must say I am amazed at the visceral reaction to philip Thompsons suggestion on postal addresses, I didn't know people cared so much.

Especially since I said I have no desire to see anything compulsory, its just personal preference. Seems to have really touched a nerve though, I wonder why?
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson this is so unlike you. You’re normally all for modern innovative solutions. This is a side show.

If you want to make delivery easier, the Post Office/OS needs to have an open source API to allow Map providers to integrate exactly to where all properties are with lat/long on the back end.

It then doesn’t matter what number or name somebody’s house is - the Hermes driver app will bring them directly to the door.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Especially since I said I have no desire to see anything compulsory, its just personal preference. Seems to have really touched a nerve though, I wonder why?
    I live at number 21, I don’t have any “skin” in this game.

I just think it’s a waste of time.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Growing up I lived in a house with neither number nor street name; that is fairly common for farms though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Absolutely loving the contradictory statements about reasons for barring people from being candidates in HK to no deprivation of basic rights. Barred for objections in principle to the security law. Freedom.

They just dont give a shit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53593187

Wow. These reasons, WTAF this is how democracy is meant to work.

* expressed "an objection in principle" to the imposition of the national security law by central authorities in Beijing

* expressed "an intention to exercise the functions of a LegCo Member by indiscriminately voting down" any legislative proposals introduced by the Hong Kong government, "so as to force the government to accede to certain political demands"
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

@Philip_Thompson this is so unlike you. You’re normally all for modern innovative solutions. This is a side show.

If you want to make delivery easier, the Post Office/OS needs to have an open source API to allow Map providers to integrate exactly to where all properties are with lat/long on the back end.

It then doesn’t matter what number or name somebody’s house is - the Hermes driver app will bring them directly to the door.

You clearly don't know how much money the Post Office makes off the monopoly it hold on post code information.

It's worth multiple millions for them based on what I have to pay...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Go for a name AND a number?

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
  • Options
    eek said:

You clearly don't know how much money the Post Office makes off the monopoly it hold on post code information.

It's worth multiple millions for them based on what I have to pay...
    I did know it was lucrative, but is that appropriate for the 21st century? I’d say not.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
    Bish bash bosh job done. What's hard about that?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Andy_JS said:

Many people prefer a house name to a number precisely because it makes it harder for just anyone to find your home. Addresses are for the post, and parts of the address are used by couriers.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
    Bish bash bosh job done. What's hard about that?
    Because it’s a waste of time, for marginal advantage.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Maximum freedom for all.
    :)

I never suggested to anyone that anything should be enforced. But I somewhat suspect that the companies will still take orders and expect their staff to deliver to them even if people don't bother trying to make it easier for others.

If you intend to live as a hermit then do as you please. But if you want deliveries then not bothering with making a property easily identifiable but still placing orders is IMO simply selfish. Being selfish is of course and should remain entirely legal.
    Sorely tempted to pause your Cancellation and add value here - but will resist.

Review scheduled for 10 am tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.