Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly a by-election possibility in CON-held Newark comes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly a by-election possibility in CON-held Newark comes into the frame. A chance for UKIP?

The Sunday Times is reporting this morning that the CON MP for Newark, Patrick Mercer could be on the point of quitting which would force a by-election over a cash for questions scandal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2014
    The seat borders Lincolnshire which is widely held to be one of UKIP's best areas. Boston & Skegness is separated from Newark by one constituency, (Sleaford & North Hykeham).
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited April 2014
    Are there any recent local election results in the seat? Looks a bit much on paper for either Lab or Ukip to gain this, but if it's expenses related and within a week of the Euros then maybe anything could happen?
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Are there any recent local election results in the seat? Looks a bit much on paper for either Lab or Ukip to gain this, but if it's expenses related and within a week of the Euros then maybe anything could happen?

Yes, in last year's county council elections the Conservatives won every seat apart from Collingham which was won by and independent with the Tories in second place.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGxoSGFQaWg1V2tyYklHcXFkTm9LTXc&pli=1#gid=0
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The boundaries of the CC divisions don't match up tidily with the constituency, but these are basically the ones that comprise the Newark constituency:

Bassetlaw: Tuxford.
    Newark & Sherwood: Balderton, Collingham, Farndon&Muskham, Newark East, Newark West, Southwell&Caunton.
    Rushcliffe: Bingham.
  • Options
    Thanks, excellent. Ukip didn't do very well in those divisions, even if they've moved on a lot even since this time last year. The local Tory party might actually be organised there.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Votes, Newark, 2013 CC elections:

Con: 10,750 (8/8 contested)
    Lab: 5,153 (8/8)
    UKIP: 3,520 (7/8)
    LD: 3,028 (7/8)
    Ind: 1,846 (2/8)

Total: 24,297

Percentages:

Con: 44.2%
    Lab: 21.2%
    UKIP: 14.5%
    LD: 12.5%
    Ind: 7.6%

Changes from the 2010 general election:

Con: -9.7%
    Lab: -1.1%
    UKIP: +10.7%
    LD: -7.5%
    Ind: +7.6%

Not completely accurate because a small portion (in terms of population) of the Radcliffe on Trent CC division is included in the Newark constituency, although most of it is in Rushcliffe.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Millsy said:

Thanks, excellent. Ukip didn't do very well in those divisions, even if they've moved on a lot even since this time last year. The local Tory party might actually be organised there.

They didn't do spectacularly, but they did get a swing from the Tories of about 10% compared to the general election.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Labour recently selected a candidate for Newark earlier in April, the Conservatives selected a candidate last year, but UKIP have yet to do so.

This sort of thing makes a difference at the margins, and I suspect that it will mean the majority is too large for either Labour or UKIP to bridge. They are too far behind and have not had enough time with an installed candidate to close some of that ground.

Definitely a wasted opportunity given the time they have had to make a selection given that Mercer resigned the Conservative whip almost a year ago. Suspect that the Conservatives would be able to manage at least just over a third of the vote in the by-election, and thus hold what would be a relatively close three-way contest.
  • Options
    If today's YouGov Euro poll is anything to go by, there will be a big difference in turnout - with 68% of Ukip supporters saying they are certain to vote compared to 52%, 51% & 47% for LD, Lab, Con.

When YouGov filter for this the result becomes:

Ukip 36%
    Lab 28%
    Con 16%
    LD 7%
    Gr 9%
  • Options
    Millsy said:

If today's YouGov Euro poll is anything to go by, there will be a big difference in turnout - with 68% of Ukip supporters saying they are certain to vote compared to 52%, 51% & 47% for LD, Lab, Con.

When YouGov filter for this the result becomes:

Ukip 36%
    Lab 28%
    Con 16%
    LD 7%
    Gr 9%

The turnout at the 2009 European elections was just 34%, so there are a lot of people telling porkies to YouGov. No idea if there are differential rates of telling porkies, though...
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Labour recently selected a candidate for Newark earlier in April, the Conservatives selected a candidate last year, but UKIP have yet to do so.

This sort of thing makes a difference at the margins, and I suspect that it will mean the majority is too large for either Labour or UKIP to bridge. They are too far behind and have not had enough time with an installed candidate to close some of that ground.

Definitely a wasted opportunity given the time they have had to make a selection given that Mercer resigned the Conservative whip almost a year ago. Suspect that the Conservatives would be able to manage at least just over a third of the vote in the by-election, and thus hold what would be a relatively close three-way contest.

Yep, two candidates selected so far. Robert Jenrick for the Tories and Michael Payne for Labour.

Both of them seem to be pretty young, which might create an opening for a more seasoned campaigner for UKIP:

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/11/robert-jenrick-chosen-for-newark.html
    http://michaelpayne.org.uk/about-me/
  • Options
    Do you think the UKIP posters are or are not racist?

Are racist 25
    Are not racist 66
    Don't know 9

And do you think Nigel Farage, the leader of UKIP, is or is not racist?

Is racist 27
    Is not racist 50
    Don't know 23

Do you think Nigel Farage is or is not behaving in a hypocritical way by employing his German wife in this way?

Is behaving in a hypocritical way 44
    Is not behaving in a hypocritical way 40
    Not sure 16

(From YouGov)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Labour candidate Michael Payne is 27 or 28, and Tory Robert Jenrick is 31 or 32. Jenrick contested Newcastle-under-Lyme in 2010.

http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Candidate-reveals-three-priorities
    http://conservativehome.blogs.com/goldlist/2008/11/robert-jenrick.html
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    The media response to UKIP has been nonsensical from both right and left. For these elections their best response would have been silence. They are currently been fed by the oxygen of publicit and will surely win on May 15. I continue to be very sceptical about how much of their support will be retained much beyond then.
  • Options
    "Nigel Farage is a phoney. Scrutinise him and he'll crumble
    Instead of tearing into the preposterous Ukip leader, Britain's famously aggressive media have made him a celebrity"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/26/nigel-farage-phoney-scrutinise-him-ukip
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AndyJS said:

Instead of tearing into the preposterous Ukip leader, Britain's famously aggressive media have made him a celebrity"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/26/nigel-farage-phoney-scrutinise-him-ukip

Posters racist? – YES (25%) – NO (66%)

Farage racist? – YES (27) - NO (50%)

On the basis of these findings, the liberal elite are going to have to rethink their attack plan on Farage. - I would not be surprised if he became the poster boy for every person in the UK who loathes the PC consensus that has stifled the immigration debate for the past decade.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited April 2014
    Jenrick stood for the Broseley East Division of Bridgnorth DC in 2007. This was then the neighbouring Division to me. Lost to the two established Councillors. An Independent and a LD.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358

Jenrick stood for the Broseley East Division of Bridgnorth DC in 2007. This was then the neighbouring Division to me. Lost to the two established Councillors. An Independent and a LD.

I was in Bridgnorth on Wednesday (Severn Valley Railway!), then Doha airport on Thursday. And since Friday, I've been in Calicut in southern India! Greetings to all PBers from the Malabar Coast. Very hot, but yesterday narrowly avoided getting drenched in a thunderstorm when visiting Kappad, the reputed landing site of Vasco da Gama in 1498. Hope to upload pics to Twitter in due course. Election already held in Kerala's 20 parliamentary seats, my family are mostly Congress supporters. No real BJP presence in the state, straight fight between Congress and the out-and-out Left here :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    YouGov asks the "should Cameron resign"

Net resign (Con)
    Next year & let someone else take over: -17 (-82)
    If Con#3 behind UKIP /Lab in Euros: -5 (-61)
    If Scotland votes Yes: -23 (-81)

So the introduction of a "Scotland Yes" reduces the propensity of people to think Cameron should resign vs "go next year (cause unspecified)"

Even the Scots don't think he should resign (-9) if they vote yes (they do think he should go on the Euros question +11)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/pjvdg1r9fz/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-140525.pdf
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2014
    The concentration should be the poorly thought out programme, and the amateurishness of UKIP.

The rather crass poster campaign, featuring the Irish actor, the pretense that the party worker was an ordinary member of the public, and the offensive remarks by the Zimbabwean decorator all point to there being no one at UKIP head office with an eye for detail. The laughably quixotic 2010 manifesto shows that there is no real leadership.

Combine this with an absence of policies apart from the panacea of EU exit (though even this is unclear in how we would relate to international bodies like EFTA afterwards) and the astonishingly poor and inept actions of the 2009 UKIP MEPs, and there is plenty of scope for exposing the vacuity of Farage as a serious politician.
    felix said:

The media response to UKIP has been nonsensical from both right and left. For these elections their best response would have been silence. They are currently been fed by the oxygen of publicit and will surely win on May 15. I continue to be very sceptical about how much of their support will be retained much beyond then.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 907
    Not good, Patrick Mercer went to my old school - King's School Chester.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

You omit the question immediately preceding the posters one:

UKIP are:
    Serious party with workable policies: 20
    Protest party without realistic policies: 57
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

AndyJS said:

UKIP are:
    Protest parties have won seats in the past.
  • Options
    A final YouGov on 2015 GE debates:

Should there be:
    Duet: Cameron/Miliband: 13
    Three-way: Cameron/Miliband /Clegg: 19
    Foursome: Cameron/Miliband/Clegg/Farage: 50

While the foursome is obviously most popular among UKIP VI (92) it also leads for Con (53) and Lab (42), while LibDems prefer a three-way (49).
  • Options

So the introduction of a "Scotland Yes" reduces the propensity of people to think Cameron should resign vs "go next year (cause unspecified)"

That's interesting.

I would certainly have expected that it would tip a few people into thinking he should resign, because the Union would have broken-up on his watch, so it's thought-provoking to have that assumption challenged by the opinion poll.

My first thought as to why my assumption was wrong is that more people would view the post-YES vote situation as something of a crisis for the rest of the UK, during which they would want stable leadership, rather than blaming Cameron for failing to preserve the Union. This is the sort of reaction that occurs in the immediate aftermath of many disasters/wars/etc where there is a tendency to "rally to the flag" - provided the incumbent government are not obviously at fault.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"there is plenty of scope for exposing the vacuity of Farage as a serious politician."

The problem is that being a serious politician means you're a hypocrite, liar and expenses cheat. Is that really a plus?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

AndyJS said:

UKIP are:
    20% seems like quite a good figure for UKIP.

They will surely get some votes from people who don't think they are a serious party with workable policies - but really want to send a message about leaving the EU - so 20% as a base who take them seriously is quite something to play with.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I saw the URL and thought their might be a twist to that story whereby Lenny Henry was a member of UKIP. Such is the importance of punctuation.
  • Options

My first thought as to why my assumption was wrong is that more people would view the post-YES vote situation as something of a crisis for the rest of the UK, during which they would want stable leadership, rather than blaming Cameron for failing to preserve the Union. This is the sort of reaction that occurs in the immediate aftermath of many disasters/wars/etc where there is a tendency to "rally to the flag" - provided the incumbent government are not obviously at fault.
    I suspect it's simpler than that, it would be viewed as

I) a pity, not a disaster and
    II) not Cameron's "fault".

Despite what some of our more excitable posters would wish to believe....

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and certainly a by-election will get the PB juices flowing. If I was involved at Tory high command I would see how the Euros actually turn out. Let's see if UKIP get over 20% given the likely turnout. I wonder whether it will turn out to be Cleggasm Mark II. At the GE the LibDems were going to do fantastically well. The debates had been a triumph for Clegg and the polls seemed to agree but oops we know what happened when the votes were counted. PB chickens and all that.
  • Options
    By your measure the UKIP MEPs have been some of the most serious politicians in history...
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"there is plenty of scope for exposing the vacuity of Farage as a serious politician."

The problem is that being a serious politician means you're a hypocrite, liar and expenses cheat. Is that really a plus?

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    AndyJS said:

Millsy said:

Yes, in last year's county council elections the Conservatives won every seat apart from Collingham which was won by and independent with the Tories in second place.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGxoSGFQaWg1V2tyYklHcXFkTm9LTXc&pli=1#gid=0
    That independent was a former Tory as well who had fallen out with the party as she had opposed local development in the Town.
  • Options

Morning all and certainly a by-election will get the PB juices flowing. If I was involved at Tory high command I would see how the Euros actually turn out. Let's see if UKIP get over 20% given the likely turnout. I wonder whether it will turn out to be Cleggasm Mark II. At the GE the LibDems were going to do fantastically well. The debates had been a triumph for Clegg and the polls seemed to agree but oops we know what happened when the votes were counted. PB chickens and all that.

UKIP have surged at each of the past two Euro elections, and since 2010 have outperformed their poll ratings at every contest. They got over 16% in 2009 and are vastly more popular now. The idea that they are polling near 30% but will get less than 20% is ludicrous, and I'll happily put money on it if you are the wagering type.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:
    I saw the URL and thought their might be a twist to that story whereby Lenny Henry was a member of UKIP. Such is the importance of punctuation.
    A local election UKIP candidate has suggested that British comedian Lenny Henry should emigrate to a "black country".
  • Options
    It is also a matter of timing. Why would Cameron resign immediately? It may be one reason that he would resign post defeat in 2015, but that would be on the cards anyway.

What would be the purpose of a snap resignation in September?

• Options

AndyJS said:

[snip]

UKIP are:
    Good morning Miss Vance - Not surprised by those findings in the least, the popularity of a ‘protest party’ du jour is not entirely based of rationality or realistic and achievable aims, I’m surprised the figure for ‘workable policies’ is as high as 20% to be honest.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    YouGov

36/31
  • Options
    Quincel they are polling near 30% with the pogo pollsters. ICM shows a very different story. I am sure they will improve on 2009 but let's just wait and see how well. If they are so popular, how come they haven't held on to a single council ward they have defended this year at a by-election?
  • Options
    None. Unless you are a drama queen like David Davis, fond of le grand geste.....

• Options
    Been reading the posts on Conservative Home on the topic of whether David Cameron should resign if Scotland votes YES. Haven't read so much naval gazing tosh in ages. Cameron and other Westminster politicians can only have a negative effect when they get involved in the IndyRef. It is only Scottish politicians who can prevent a YES but sadly SLAB is full of numpties and Gordon Brown.

Wonder how many PBers stand to make a few quid when Scotland votes YES?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

[snip]

UKIP are:
    Good morning Miss Vance - Not surprised by those findings in the least, the popularity of a ‘protest party’ du jour is not entirely based of rationality or realistic and achievable aims, I’m surprised the figure for ‘workable policies’ is as high as 20% to be honest.
    Good Morning mr StClare - that 20% splits in ways that will not help UKIP win Lab voters - only 10% of them (and 13% of 2010 Lab) see it as serious. The Tories 20% (28% of 2010) should be a cause for concern, as should the 21% of UKIP VI who see it as a protest party...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    As I said on the last thread, I think it'd be a 3-way fight but the Tories should just hold on - very hard to predict the dynamics of a by-election, though, especially if it's held separately from the Euros.

Interesting YouGov secondaries. One battery of questions that people haven't mentioned is the ones on "would you vote for a party who you disagreed with about ... if you thought other issues more important?" That essentially measures salience. The NHS is top but even there 22% will tolerate disagreement. The economy and education are important, on most others there are a lot of voters who will put up with disagreement - e.g. 45% of Labour voters say they'd accept disagreement of immigration, 43% of Tories could accept disagreement on pensions.

And yes, the certainty to vote is what may clinch the Euros for UKIP - a clear edge 10-point in determination there over all the others. Against that, the other parties have stronger GOTV machines in place. But will they be getting out the right voters? HALF the 2010 Tories planning to defect (and 1/6 of 2010 Labour), while both Lab and LibDems are being nibbled at by the Greens.

• Options

Been reading the posts on Conservative Home on the topic of whether David Cameron should resign if Scotland votes YES. Haven't read so much naval gazing tosh in ages. Cameron and other Westminster politicians can only have a negative effect when they get involved in the IndyRef. It is only Scottish politicians who can prevent a YES but sadly SLAB is full of numpties and Gordon Brown.

There's a shocker! Cameron haters still hate Cameron!

Fortunately the electorate seem to be a lot calmer.....

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Full YouGov is

Lab 36
    Con 31
    Kip 15
    Lib 9

I think...
  • Options
    Your dichotomy is false. More likely the noblesse oblige would mean that he would feel a sense of duty to sort out the mess.

Devomax was a mirage, it could not have been offered without a discussion of what it actually meant to the rest of the country, unlike independence. That would have taken longer than Salmond would have waited, and would also just be a further step in the direction of independence.

The tightening of the polls for the Indyref will concentrate minds as it will lead to more discussion of what Indy Scotland would look like. There may be a certain amount of sobering up before September 18!
    SeanT said:

It is also a matter of timing. Why would Cameron resign immediately? It may be one reason that he would resign post defeat in 2015, but that would be on the cards anyway.

It's a matter of honour. He would be the prime minister that lost the union, the PM that oversaw the destruction of a 300 year old country (and he would bear some responsibility: he could have offered devomax).

Setting aside the media pressure on him to resign (which I believe would be massive), it comes down to what you think about Cameron as a man, not a politician.

I reckon there is enough of the Old Etonian, high Tory, noblesse oblige in him that he would offer his resignation and insist on quitting.

Contrarily, if you believe he is just a PR skunk who would cling on to power come what may then, fair enough, he would stay (in your purview). But even then you have to ask whether he could cling on, given the huge firestorm that would engulf Westminster following a YES.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Yep, two candidates selected so far. Robert Jenrick for the Tories and Michael Payne for Labour.

Both of them seem to be pretty young, which might create an opening for a more seasoned campaigner for UKIP:

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/11/robert-jenrick-chosen-for-newark.html
    http://michaelpayne.org.uk/about-me/
    I think the Tories made a big mistake picking Jenrick for the seat. He has that look of a party faithful place man - particularly as he had been touting around for various other seats at the time he was selected. Historically Newark has supported independent minded MPs (Richard Alexander under Thatcher being a classic example) and has punished those who appear to be little more than party spokesmen or women (Fiona Jones being a good example.)

I am not sure it will make any real difference overall as it will be very hard for UKIP to make much of an inroad. Unlike Lincolnshire they do not, to my knowledge appear to have a well developed local team in place and I think they would be relying too much on outside help.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited April 2014
    I see the tories on here have got their much longed for crossover. UKIP now lead in euro polls.

Has it not occured to Conservative Central Office that their pet newspapers constantly denigrating UKIP and exposing the things that low ranking members stated on twitter years ago is hugely backfiring?

No one doubts that a large proportion of people in this country are not so far right wing as to be "Rhodesian" (ie they would disagree, to a greater or to at least some extent with Ian Smith or Robert Mugabe on certain social issues).

However, people are becoming increasingly concerned that those who lead our society are becoming ever more intolerant to those who express views which disagree with them (something that Rhodesia did very thoroughly and continues under Mugabe - who still uses Smith's laws to repress free speech).

Therefore this monstering of UKIP is driving increasing numbers of ordinary people to UKIP (as well as giving a large dog whistle to those who do have Rhodesian views on certain social issues - who are rather more than those willing to admit to such views publically).
  • Options
    One other point on Newark - as I said yesterday - is that I am not sure it is fertile ground for an anti- Eastern European immigration campaign. It has one of the largest second and third generation Polish communities in the country - the main Polish War cemetery is in the town and the former head of the Free Polish Army General Sikorsky was buried there until about a decade ago and people have been used to Eastern European settlement for far longer than we have even been in the EU. I honestly believe UKIP would struggle to make any sort of impact.
  • Options
    We agree on thar at least. An amicable divorce is a very rare thing, particularly in the short term.

No English or Scottish politician would survive 2015 unless the wanted to drive the hardest bargain possible.
    SeanT said:

For foxinsox:

"Your dichotomy is false. More likely the noblesse oblige would mean that he would feel a sense of duty to sort out the mess."

No, I'm right, as is Ben Brogan and Matthew Parris. And Cameron could and should have offered devomax,

Moving on from this sterility (we're not going to agree), there's an interesting piece by Ben Macintyre in the Times (££) about rising hostility to Scots and Scotland in the south. I've noticed this myself, in conversations and online (even in Comment is Free).

English people are getting tired of constant abuse from Salmond and the Nats, on the one hand we are apparently holding Scotland down yet on the other we are obliged to give Scotland everything she wants after divorce, meanwhile the English are a bunch of Tory villains, our capital city of London is a "dark star" (Salmond's precise words), etc etc etc

Of course it serves Salmond's purposes now to stir up this enmity, because English resentment of Scots will make Scots resent England right back, increasing the chances of YES.

But what happens after a YES, when the Scots need to negotiate with England and get a good deal? The English will be in no mood to accommodate their ex friends in the north. Quite the opposite. A very hard bargain will be driven. Storing up decades of acrimony on both sides.

It's tragic.

• Options
    @SeanT - "But what happens after a YES, when the Scots need to negotiate with England and get a good deal? The English will be in no mood to accommodate their ex friends in the north. Quite the opposite. A very hard bargain will be driven. Storing up decades of acrimony on both sides.

It's tragic."

It is Alex Salmond whose name will written into the history books as the man who lead Scotland to independence and cast off the yoke of English tyranny, - I don't think he is much concerned with what comes after.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Rhodesian views...

is this the new euphemism for racism?

''is he a racist? No, his views are just a bit, well, Rhodesian''
  • Options

Quincel they are polling near 30% with the pogo pollsters. ICM shows a very different story. I am sure they will improve on 2009 but let's just wait and see how well. If they are so popular, how come they haven't held on to a single council ward they have defended this year at a by-election?

When all the pollster bar one say the same thing, then whilst a systemic error in the main flock isn't impossible the balance of probabilities is undeniably with the majority. I haven't been following their council by-elections, but I would note that 5 years ago they weren't even in a position to defend any since they weren't winning seats in the first place.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. T, I disagree with you over resignation and DevoMax (you can't have that without a UK-wide discussion and vote). However, I concur entirely that if Yes wins we'll have an acrimonious break-up.

Currency union guarantees one side will be pissed off. Faslane will probably be closed, costing the UK a fortune. Financial services will move south, costing Scotland jobs and tax income, and boosting the UK. Pensions will piss off one side or the other (will the UK state pay pensions to Scottish ex-public sector workers? If yes, that'll piss off the UK, if no, it'll probably piss off Scotland).

Where's the advantage, really?

Scotland wants to keep the pound, the monarchy, Bank of England as lender of last resort, retain 'social union' [whatever the hell that is], membership of the EU etc etc. What's actually going to change if the SNP get their dream result?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    AndyJS said:

Can't help but notice the irony of the final two paragraphs, which effectively agrees with the writing off of large parts of the world as uncivilised barbarians not worthy or capable of being treated as ex-public schoolboys, then calls UKIP a bunch of thugs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

I see the tories on here have got their much longed for crossover. UKIP now lead in euro polls.

Has it not occured to Conservative Central Office that their pet newspapers constantly denigrating UKIP and exposing the things that low ranking members stated on twitter years ago is hugely backfiring?

No one doubts that a large proportion of people in this country are not so far right wing as to be "Rhodesian" (ie they would disagree, to a greater or to at least some extent with Ian Smith or Robert Mugabe on certain social issues).

However, people are becoming increasingly concerned that those who lead our society are becoming ever more intolerant to those who express views which disagree with them (something that Rhodesia did very thoroughly and continues under Mugabe - who still uses Smith's laws to repress free speech).

Therefore this monstering of UKIP is driving increasing numbers of ordinary people to UKIP (as well as giving a large dog whistle to those who do have Rhodesian views on certain social issues - who are rather more than those willing to admit to such views publically).

The question is whether the monstering of UKIP is deserved. Some of it is, whilst other parts are not.

All political parties and their candidates should be put under the spotlight. If that means the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems get bashed as well, so be it. Comments on the Internet are fair game.

For instance, Henwood's comments are clearly at a level where he should not be able to represent himself, yet alone constituents. They're vile. He's perfectly within his right to say them, but the fact he is standing for UKIP reflects badly on them as well.

If UKIP don't want to get monstered, they should be more professional in their selection of candidates. And there is a positive to this: this focus shows that they're being taken more seriously.

(And before anyone gets on their high horse, last week I linked to an article where a local Conservative politician said something much less controversial and got suspended).
  • Options
    This week's battleground:

Danny Alexander has called on Scottish ministers to produce "realistic analysis" of the cost of independence.

It comes as the Treasury prepares to publish detailed findings on the financial impact of a "Yes" vote....

.....Treasury officials have also analysed the Scottish government's white paper and said they had "attempted to produce many of the calculations that were missing".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27174605
  • Options
    Was Devomax Cameron's gift to give? Would Labour and the Lib Dems have supported it over the simple in/out referendum we got?
  • Options

(And before anyone gets on their high horse, last week I linked to an article where a local Conservative politician said something much less controversial and got suspended).

And yesterday I linked to an article where a Conservative councillor said something far more controversial and vile, received a police caution for it, and is still a Conservative councillor.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    BobaFett said:

Full YouGov is

Lab 36
    Con 31
    Kip 15
    Lib 9

I think...

Tory PBers believe Populus is the gold standard.
  • Options
    ''They're vile''

It's this kind of po-faced condemnation without argument that is driving UKIP ever upwards.

In order to beat UKIP, opponents will have to come up with reasoned arguments as to why Henwood's comments are both factually incorrect and morally wrong.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    If UKIP do get 36 % in the Euro elections, there must be a good chance of their leading, in terms of projected vote share, for the local elections.
  • Options
    And on a lighter note…!

“Lunacy of the town that turned Green: A ban on bacon butties. Traffic-calming sheep. Transgender toilets. Sounds like a send-up? In fact, it's the all-too-real story of how Britain's loopiest party took over Brighton...” - http://tinyurl.com/pzqlc9j

Unfortunately the Mail does not go into great detail as to how ‘bacon butties’ would be banned, but - I fear civil wars have been started for less…!
  • Options

And yesterday I linked to an article where a Conservative councillor said something far more controversial and vile, received a police caution for it, and is still a Conservative councillor.
    Whilst I wouldn't have expressed myself that way, I can see why someone would be pissed off by Lenny Henry's demand for ethnic quotas in the media.

• Options
    taffys said:

''They're vile''

It's this kind of po-faced condemnation without argument that is driving UKIP ever upwards.

In order to beat UKIP, opponents will have to come up with reasoned arguments as to why Henwood's comments are both factually incorrect and morally wrong.

You defend them. Go on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27176803
    "I think if black people come to this country and don't like mixing with white people why are they here? If he (Henry) wants a lot of blacks around go and live in a black country."
    This is particularly ludicrous when said about Lenny Henry, FFS. British born, he was married to Dawn French for decades.
    "Islam reminds me of the 3rd Reich Strength through violence against the citizens."
    Again, defend this comment.

UKIP's problem in this case is that Henwood's comments hardly help diffuse the idea they they are a deeply intolerant party.
  • Options

Was Devomax Cameron's gift to give? Would Labour and the Lib Dems have supported it over the simple in/out referendum we got?

Hadn't the SNP won their mandate on the basis of an 'Independence Vote'?

I imagine 'English Tory PM tells Scots to be happy with DevoMax' going down very well......
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2014
    Sean_F said:

If UKIP do get 36 % in the Euro elections, there must be a good chance of their leading, in terms of projected vote share, for the local elections.

They've only got 2,200-ish candidates standing in the locals. Surely Labour and the Conservatives will win the local elections by default, both having more candidates than UKIP?

• Options

From the report, that was wrong, and I don't support it.

But that's hardly a defence, is it? "Look, they're just as bad"
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, banning bacon butties is an affront to British civilisation.

Mr. F, I'd not heard that ethnic quota suggestion before. It's bloody bonkers.
  • Options
    Just a bit of fun, but if you Baxter the certain to vote numbers, you get UKIP 375, Lab 217, Lib Dem 9, Conservative 1.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Can't help but notice the irony of the final two paragraphs, which effectively agrees with the writing off of large parts of the world as uncivilised barbarians not worthy or capable of being treated as ex-public schoolboys, then calls UKIP a bunch of thugs.
    That entire article by Nick Cohen is one long, sad, confused, nauseatingly snobbish piece of dreck. Says more about the writer than it does about its subject.
    It demonstrates that we have a very worried establishment though. From the abolition of the death penalty onwards, our establishment has managed to pass social laws that would be rejected by a huge margin in a referendum; by ensuring that people who align with establishment views are selected in all two/three main parties and therefore locking out dissent from such views from the electoral process, then monstering the opposing view.

Their whole moral basis is that they are an enlightened few who control and suppress the boorish thuggery of the lower orders for the benefit of all (ie them). Now the wheels are coming off.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

taffys said:

''They're vile''

You defend them. Go on.

"I think if black people come to this country and don't like mixing with white people why are they here? If he (Henry) wants a lot of blacks around go and live in a black country."
    This is particularly ludicrous when said about Lenny Henry, FFS. British born, he was married to Dawn French for decades.
    "Islam reminds me of the 3rd Reich Strength through violence against the citizens."

UKIP's problem in this case is that Henwood's comments hardly help diffuse the idea they they are a deeply intolerant party.

As a basic principle anyone calling for British citizens to leave the country should not be supported by UKIP. But as a rule UKIP are deselecting or kicking out members who say such things whilst the Tories are continuing to support and defend those of their councillors who say equally vile things. That is the big difference between the two parties.

As a Tory you can still leave messages on the phones of Gay colleagues saying you hope they die of Aids and be assured you will not lose your seat.

Remember the idiot who claimed gays caused floods left the Tories of his own volition even though he had said equally offensive things whilst a Tory councillor. He was kicked out of UKIP for those views. Which party is showing more tolerance for vile behaviour?
  • Options

Mr. StClare, banning bacon butties is an affront to British civilisation.

Mr. F, I'd not heard that ethnic quota suggestion before. It's bloody bonkers.

If you link to the article below, you'll find a further link to his demand that money be allocated exclusively to non-White productions and companies.

• Options
    edited April 2014

And on a lighter note…!

“Lunacy of the town that turned Green: A ban on bacon butties. Traffic-calming sheep. Transgender toilets. Sounds like a send-up? In fact, it's the all-too-real story of how Britain's loopiest party took over Brighton...” - http://tinyurl.com/pzqlc9j

Unfortunately the Mail does not go into great detail as to how ‘bacon butties’ would be banned, but - I fear civil wars have been started for less…!

It is basically shroud waving against UKIP saying 'look what happens if you vote for a new small party as a protest, utter chaos and disaster'. The growing apparent civil war between the mail and its readers being played out in the comments column is quite amusing, but isn't, I would have thought, commercially very wise.

PS sorry for hitting the off topic key on your post. I pressed the wrong button. I think I've undone it by pressing it again though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    BobaFett said:

Full YouGov is

Lab 36
    Con 31
    Kip 15
    Lib 9

I think...

36% for Labour with Yougov isn't a cause for celebration at Miliband HQ, definitely dropped from the ~38 average or so.

Vote shares, not leads remember ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Whilst I wouldn't have expressed myself that way, I can see why someone would be pissed off by Lenny Henry's demand for ethnic quotas in the media.
    Yes, but it should be argued in the same way you would any other call for positive discrimination, whether it on the basis of sex, sexuality or income. Not in the rather brain-dead way Henwood did.

Simply say something like: "Henry's wrong. In my view any positive discrimination's wrong. Henry's got to the top of his industry by dint of his skill and hard work. We should ensure that roadblocks are removed so we can have a level playing field, regardless of sex, race or creed. Discriminating against some to remove discrimination is nonsensical."
  • Options

But that's hardly a defence, is it? "Look, they're just as bad"
    It is not saying "Look, they're just as bad". It is pointing out the difference between the two parties. UKIP sack their councillors who make vile statements. The Tories do not.

Defend that.
  • Options

taffys said:

''They're vile''

You defend them. Go on.

As a basic principle anyone calling for British citizens to leave the country should not be supported by UKIP. But as a rule UKIP are deselecting or kicking out members who say such things whilst the Tories are continuing to support and defend those of their councillors who say equally vile things. That is the big difference between the two parties.

As a Tory you can still leave messages on the phones of Gay colleagues saying you hope they die of Aids and be assured you will not lose your seat.

Remember the idiot who claimed gays caused floods left the Tories of his own volition even though he had said equally offensive things whilst a Tory councillor. He was kicked out of UKIP for those views. Which party is showing more tolerance for vile behaviour?

I agree to an extent. In which case, you should be welcoming the media's attentions. They're helping you clear out the stupid and extremists.
  • Options
    Mr. F, can't find the link, but I'll take your word for it.

It reminds me of an idiot some time ago who reckoned money should be spent on black areas specifically to help counter-balance the harm slavery did (although the chap did stop short of suggesting full reparations should be paid).

Identity politics is bloody stupid, and fosters division, entitlement and resentment.
  • Options

taffys said:

''They're vile''

You defend them. Go on.

I agree to an extent. In which case, you should be welcoming the media's attentions. They're helping you clear out the stupid and extremists.

I have not complained about the media coverage. I think all politicians of any party should have the light shone on them and be held to account. Just interesting that they (and apparently you) like highlighting the UKIP failings whilst ignoring those of the Tories. Points to a certain double standard I believe.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Saying that it is morally wrong for anybody to call for a British citizen to leave the country because of his or her opinions is a much more effective way of countering UKIP than dismissing someone's comments as 'vile'

They (henwood's comments) probably are vile. But saying so only boosts UKIP. As the comments below the Cohen article on CIF reveal.

• Options
    Anthony Wells on the YouGov:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8759

The strong UKIP showing at the European elections does NOT mean people support leaving the EU. Asked how they’d vote in a referendum on EU membership 40% say they would vote to stay, 37% say they would vote to leave. While the lead is only three points, YouGov’s regular tracker is now consistently showing a lead for staying in. In the event David Cameron managed to renegotiate Britain’s membership people would be almost 2-to-1 in favour of remaining within the EU.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Good article by Andrew Rawnsley in Observer on Boris dithering on whether to stand for 2015 GE.Key issue is how Boris gets round his promise to focus on Mayoralty until 2016.
    One issue which might help him make up his mind is Scottish Independence.If the Scots vote would David Cameron resign?.If the answer is yes then Boris might cast caution aside, get a friendly fellow Tory in a safe seat to resign and give by election shoe in for Boris.Or he may calculate that any interim PM would still fail to win and his best move would be just to find a safe seat and start with clean sheet in a post election Tory leadership contest.
    One thing is for sure he wont be risking his political career by standing as candidate for the Newark by election
  • Options

Identity politics is bloody stupid, and fosters division, entitlement and resentment.

Who ever could you mean? :InnocentFace:

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Two thoughts about UKIP:

1) Phil Woolas wouldn't now be able to adopt a "make the white folks angry" strategy. Not because it's offensive, but because it would simply be to UKIP's benefit.

2) UKIP have more to fear from the public feeling the benefit of economic growth than Labour. As an essentially nihilistic party with no coherent positive message, they need the public to feel alienated.
  • Options

I have not complained about the media coverage. I think all politicians of any party should have the light shone on them and be held to account. Just interesting that they (and apparently you) like highlighting the UKIP failings whilst ignoring those of the Tories. Points to a certain double standard I believe.
    Oh, ffs. As I've said, I've posted links just the other week to a local Conservative councillor who'd made a stupid comment. I'm sorry if that's not showing enough anti-Conservative bias for you, but I would suggest that's your problem, not mine.

You also evidently missed my comment below:
    All political parties and their candidates should be put under the spotlight. If that means the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems get bashed as well, so be it. Comments on the Internet are fair game.
    No double standards at all.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited April 2014
    I think CON will hold on in Newark, but it could be close.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Two thoughts about UKIP:

1) Phil Woolas wouldn't now be able to adopt a "make the white folks angry" strategy. Not because it's offensive, but because it would simply be to UKIP's benefit.

2) UKIP have more to fear from the public feeling the benefit of economic growth than Labour. As an essentially nihilistic party with no coherent positive message, they need the public to feel alienated.

UKIPs message is only negative to those who disagree with it. For those of us who agree with it - particularly with regard to leaving the EU and reforging links with the rest of the World, with reforming the tax system and with improving education - it is an extremely positive message.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Just a bit of fun, but if you Baxter the certain to vote numbers, you get UKIP 375, Lab 217, Lib Dem 9, Conservative 1.

Who's the last one standing of the blue man group?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    SeanT said:

@SeanT - "But what happens after a YES, when the Scots need to negotiate with England and get a good deal? The English will be in no mood to accommodate their ex friends in the north. Quite the opposite. A very hard bargain will be driven. Storing up decades of acrimony on both sides.

It's tragic."

It is Alex Salmond whose name will written into the history books as the man who lead Scotland to independence and cast off the yoke of English tyranny, - I don't think he is much concerned with what comes after.

For sure. Salmond doesn't give a hoot. I'm just pointing out a mood that is now noticeable in England - already - and we have five more months of Anglophobic abuse to come. This will be very significant, for both countries, should Scotland opt for divorce. The atmosphere will be poisonous.
    Bad losers as ever , cannot accept that people just want to make their own decisions. However money as ever will ensure they are kept in their cages , when they realise they will be skint if they follow their natural nastiness it will ensure they shut up and get on with doing a deal.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yes, but it should be argued in the same way you would any other call for positive discrimination, whether it on the basis of sex, sexuality or income. Not in the rather brain-dead way Henwood did.

Simply say something like: "Henry's wrong. In my view any positive discrimination's wrong. Henry's got to the top of his industry by dint of his skill and hard work. We should ensure that roadblocks are removed so we can have a level playing field, regardless of sex, race or creed. Discriminating against some to remove discrimination is nonsensical."
    You are falling headlong into the establishment trap and your comments crystalise why the establishment parties are losing so much ground to UKIP and almost wholly confused as to why. Someone articulate, learned and well educated might well put it as you do. Most of our establishment being articuate, learned and well educated would agree.

Go to a pub, a building site or a white van and it would be put as Henwood put it and your way of putting it would go straight over their heads and either not be understood or dismissed as wordy woffle. Henwood's comments might be crude but in syntax terms they are to the point and easily understood.

There are rather more people in the in the "pub, building site or the white van etc" category than in the "articulate, learned and well educated" category and they are increasingly feeling that the "articulate, learned and well educated category" are conspiring against them for the benefit of the "articulate, learned and well educated category" and that (to bring the EU into it) the "articulate, learned and well educated category" prefer and have more in common with the "articulate, learned and well educated category" in other EU countries than with the "pub, building site or the white van etc" category in their own country.

I admit I am quite unusual having been in both categories (left comprehensive school, started work cleaning lavatories later went to college day release for four years, then university and am now a chartered professional), however it does enable me to see clearly what is happening here.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. T, I disagree with you over resignation and DevoMax (you can't have that without a UK-wide discussion and vote). However, I concur entirely that if Yes wins we'll have an acrimonious break-up.

Currency union guarantees one side will be pissed off. Faslane will probably be closed, costing the UK a fortune. Financial services will move south, costing Scotland jobs and tax income, and boosting the UK. Pensions will piss off one side or the other (will the UK state pay pensions to Scottish ex-public sector workers? If yes, that'll piss off the UK, if no, it'll probably piss off Scotland).

Where's the advantage, really?

Scotland wants to keep the pound, the monarchy, Bank of England as lender of last resort, retain 'social union' [whatever the hell that is], membership of the EU etc etc. What's actually going to change if the SNP get their dream result?

The difference is we will choose what we do in future , not some chinless millionaire in Westminster that we don't want and did not vote for.
  • Options

Oh, ffs. As I've said, I've posted links just the other week to a local Conservative councillor who'd made a stupid comment. I'm sorry if that's not showing enough anti-Conservative bias for you, but I would suggest that's your problem, not mine.

And yet I see no criticism from you of the Tory party itself for refusing to kick out councillors who behave in ways just as unsavoury as those you ascribe to UKIP.

Bottom line yet again UKIP are kicking out such people whilst the Tories are not. Which party is the one tolerating abusive behaviour?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Quincel said:

UKIP have surged at each of the past two Euro elections, and since 2010 have outperformed their poll ratings at every contest. They got over 16% in 2009 and are vastly more popular now. The idea that they are polling near 30% but will get less than 20% is ludicrous, and I'll happily put money on it if you are the wagering type.
    I agree. When they polled over 20% in last year's local elections, they should certainly do better in this year's Euros (whether they'll do better in this year's locals is another matter). The only serious fly in the ointment is the breakaway spoiler party which may take a lot of votes.

And as I've said before, if UKIP do end up with that level of support in both locals and Euros, it will strengthen further their claim to a PM-debate place in 2015.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Saying that it is morally wrong for anybody to call for a British citizen to leave the country because of his or her opinions is a much more effective way of countering UKIP than dismissing someone's comments as 'vile'

They (henwood's comments) probably are vile. But saying so only boosts UKIP. As the comments below the Cohen article on CIF reveal.

I stand by calling them 'vile'. They are.

If UKIP supporters choose to think they're not vile, that's their problem.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Sean_F said:

Who's the last one standing of the blue man group?
    I would guess Andrew Mitchell.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited April 2014

antifrank said:

Two thoughts about UKIP:

UKIPs message is only negative to those who disagree with it. For those of us who agree with it - particularly with regard to leaving the EU and reforging links with the rest of the World, with reforming the tax system and with improving education - it is an extremely positive message.
    Come back to me when you can tell me whether UKIP's policy this week is to break all links with the EU, to join the EEA, to join EFTA or simply to moan that they don't like people who smell of garlic.

Ditto a coherent explanation of immigration. Irish immigrants, it seems we learn this week, are OK. But whether all immigration is to be stopped, immigrants who write their names in non-Latin alphabets are to be stopped, immigrants whose surname ends in a U are to be stopped or only those immigrants whose name is on a list handwritten by Nigel Farage are to be permitted remains wholly unclear.
  • Options
    That's not too far from Mr Henrys position, to quote him:

“I have a screen where great programmes are produced by the multi-cultural many, as opposed to the mono-cultural elite. I have a screen where the actors of the future are cast not by the colour of their skin, but by their talent alone. I have a screen where the stories in our cinemas and on our TVs will reflect the wealth and variety of experience of all our communities, not just some.”

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/home/diversify/lenny-henry-bbc-must-ring-fence-funds-for-bame-shows/5068716.article

I think his point is that while BAME actors get work (though often in typecast roles without nuances) the back staff in the media industry are no where near as diverse, working in a very old boy network way. Steve McQueen won an Oscar, but had to go to the States to do it...

Much the same is true of sport. Many Black footballers and athletes, but the powers that be resemble those of decades ago.

Sean_F said:

• Options

And yet I see no criticism from you of the Tory party itself for refusing to kick out councillors who behave in ways just as unsavoury as those you ascribe to UKIP.

Bottom line yet again UKIP are kicking out such people whilst the Tories are not. Which party is the one tolerating abusive behaviour?

Then you need to read what I've written:
    How many other cases do you have in mind wrt the Conservatives? Just that one?
This discussion has been closed.