Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says the electoral battlefield has never fav

SystemSystem Posts: 11,752
edited April 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says the electoral battlefield has never favoured LAB so strongly

It’s better to be lucky than to be good, so the saying goes – and in politics, success or failure frequently turns on the timing of events over which those involved have little or no control: their luck, in effect.  What they make of that luck is a different matter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Great piece which sums up eloquently what I've been arguing for months.

One point - I don't think that a CON minority government was ever really on the cards in May 2010. It was only the fact of the coalition that made it impossible for Brown to hang on.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,228
    edited April 2014
    TBH I don't think ANY sort of minority government was viable in 2010; there HAD to be a coalition, or there'd have been a stock market or further banking collapse. Or both!

Incidentally, I'm not sure that a Clegg departure wouldn't trigger at least a partial Lab > LD swing back.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2014
    Interesting piece. IMO Labour could drop a bit further to around 32-33% over the next 12 months. Losing support to UKIP would be one of the major factors.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2014
    The premise of the thread is incorrect.

No opposition 12 months from the election will be at its core support. Part of Labours present approx 35% support will be soft. The soufflé bash the government vote that any principal opposition traditionally enjoys is in effect. This is especially true of Labour in opposition having just lost power.

Worse for Labour since WWII no Labour opposition has ever increased its share of the vote at the subsequent general election having just lost power. Is it possible for Labour to buck this historical fact. It would mean Labour polling more than 29% in May 2015 ?

The thread picture may indeed be correct, but not as Herders intended - Voters placing their X against the coalition parties and certainly not crossing them out of the contest.

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Morning Sean - I don't agree with any of that.

Good to see that Herdson's still got the Saturday spot - isn't this a very old pbc tradition now?

F1 qualifying's on at 6.55 on Radio 5 Live DAB if anyone's interested, other than Morris.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    SeanT said:

Catastrophic errors by Cameron volume 239.

1. Should have formed a minority government, or let Brown struggle on til Labour utterly collapsed

2. Should have nailed the boundary changes to the AV referendum, and made each dependant on the other

3. Should have offered Salmond Devomax, securing the union and screwing Labour in Westminster

Cameron is a good statesman and an utterly useless politician, perhaps the worst political operator to reside in number 10 since Heath. The result will probably be a calamitously mediocre Miliband government, as bad as Hollande's in France, and maybe the breakup of the UK.

Salaam from Dubai airport.

Devo max was not offered as Tories were certain indy was only wanted by 30 to 35% of people. Problem is the don't knows in the middle were more receptive to a new start than anticipated, even with a daily dose on BBC of NO propaganda press releases repeated verbatim on BBC North Britainshire radio and on NorthBritainshire tonight.

Had they known it was in bracket 40 to 55% on day, as it will be, then a minor option on Crown Estates and air guns would have been offered to influence that number a little downwards.
    Not much was needed to keep waverers onside; sadly they went for the all or nothing and then complained when Scots Govt cleverly offered a devomax-MAX option, close enough to keep some undecideds happy, with Trident an issue that was swaying voters on the ground.

Combined Green/SNP vote is around 50% again now, both for Scottish and Euro elections, as it was in 2011, so this indy vote will be close, particularly if a dreich day and lots of soft NO's stay at home. Postals will decide this, so a good ground campaign may make a difference.

• Options
    You repeat the absolute rubbish about Labour should be doing better - why should they?

Then you write: "Labour’s hardly gained any swing voters from the Tories since 2010 anyway?"

Without the Blair liar, conservatives will not be interested in voting for the miliband idiot, so where are all the conservatives that are opposed to the cameroon lunacy going to be?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    edited April 2014
    Labour hit 35% around the time of Osborne's emergency budget in 2010. Such a jump for a recently (and heavily defeated) former governing party is unprecedented. For me, that has always indicated that this election cycle will be very different to the ones that have gone before. Put simply, a lot of voters put their dislike of the Tories above all other factors and will vote accordingly. In the rhetoric they have employed while chasing UKIPers the Tories have reconfirmed that dislike. Given the improving economy, EdM's manifest, multiple flaws and Labour's general lack of credible direction, 2015 should really be a cake walk for the Tories. But the very best they can hope for is to hang on to largest party status. They need to think about why that is a lot harder than they seem to be willing to do.
  • Options
    Notwithstanding the below, I imagine that there is a large slice of the UKIP vote that is squeezable. Once it starts talking a little more specifically about issues beyond the EU and immigration - tax rates, pensions, spending etc - then it will become more vulnerable. And if UKIP doesn't talk about them, in a GE campaign it will very quickly become peripheral.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

You repeat the absolute rubbish about Labour should be doing better - why should they?

1. Cuts
    2. Only major party in opposition
    3. Pissed off teachers
    4. Pissed off public sector workers in general (pay-freeze / minimal rise etc)
    5. Pissed off benefits claimants
    6. People upset for any number of other reasons.

Apart from Hague, in 1997-2001, what other opposition hasn't achieved a net mid-term swing from the principle party of government?

Then you write: "Labour’s hardly gained any swing voters from the Tories since 2010 anyway?"

Yeah, they haven't. Kind of ties into the first point you quote.

Without the Blair liar, conservatives will not be interested in voting for the miliband idiot, so where are all the conservatives that are opposed to the cameroon lunacy going to be?

They're not Conservatives; they're swing voters. See the point about 2010 being very nearly Labour's lowest ever total vote since 1935. The swing voters either went Lib Dem, who had their best election in 2010 by vote share or total votes for almost a quarter of a century, or Tory, who had their best election for eighteen years.
  • Options

One point - I don't think that a CON minority government was ever really on the cards in May 2010. It was only the fact of the coalition that made it impossible for Brown to hang on.

Thanks for the compliment.

I think we're going to have to disagree about the possibility of a minority government post-2010. There were two possibilities of one to my mind.

The first was a Lib Dem confidence-and-supply deal with the Tories, something that was seriously explored and, rightly, ruled as inferior to a full coalition for the LDs (it'd have had all the drawbacks with few of the benefits), but was on the table nonetheless and could have been the fall-back option had the coalition talks failed.

The other was an outright Con minority government, formed after Labour lost their Queen's Speech vote had Brown pushed it that far. While he was entitled to sit tight as PM (though he was already receiving a bucket-load of flak from the media for doing so less than a week after the election), he would eventually have had to have faced parliament, where there'd have been a confidence vote of one form or another (the Queen's Speech usually being regarded as a confidence vote in its own right - it parliament won't vote for your legislative programme, that's effectively a vote of no confidence in the government). On losing that vote, he would have had to have resigned and in line with constitutional practice, the Queen would have called on Cameron to form a government.

Whether explicitly or implicitly, the Lib Dems, as the swing vote in a hung parliament, would have still had to make the call between Con and Lab, and between Brown (or his successor) and Cameron. Unless they actively supported Labour, that would have inevitably ended in a Con or Con-led government of one sort or another - though almost certainly ended in an early second election too.
  • Options

1. Cuts
    2. Only major party in opposition
    3. Pissed off teachers
    4. Pissed off public sector workers in general (pay-freeze / minimal rise etc)
    5. Pissed off benefits claimants
    6. People upset for any number of other reasons.

Apart from Hague, in 1997-2001, what other opposition hasn't achieved a net mid-term swing from the principle party of government?

Yeah, they haven't. Kind of ties into the first point you quote.

They're not Conservatives; they're swing voters. See the point about 2010 being very nearly Labour's lowest ever total vote since 1935. The swing voters either went Lib Dem, who had their best election in 2010 by vote share or total votes for almost a quarter of a century, or Tory, who had their best election for eighteen years.

Basically, the soft, squeezable, anti-government vote has gone to UKIP. I don't think Labour should be that bothered by this, especially as there is some potential for it to do a bit of the squeezing.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It seems pretty clear that most of the Lib Dem to Labour switchers will not be giving up on supporting Labour any time soon. They seem more enthused with the current Labour opposition than Labour's 2010 support.

There is of course no reason why Labour should regard its 2010 support as safely in its column, and there are plenty of indications in the polls that a fair chunk of Labour's current support is not exactly enthusiastic. I do not regard 35% as a minimum level of support for Labour.
  • Options
    JackW said:

No opposition 12 months from the election will be at its core support.

Hague's was.
    JackW said:

Part of Labours present approx 35% support will be soft.

But which part? The pbc polling average had Labour at 36.5% last month. Labour won 29% in 2010. They've had a transfer of 7-8% from the Lib Dems, which appears solid.
    JackW said:

The soufflé bash the government vote that any principal opposition traditionally enjoys is in effect. This is especially true of Labour in opposition having just lost power.

But the direct net Con-Lab swing in the polls is virtually nil. Most polls record about a 1-2% gross movement each way.
    JackW said:

Worse for Labour since WWII no Labour opposition has ever increased its share of the vote at the subsequent general election having just lost power. Is it possible for Labour to buck this historical fact. It would mean Labour polling more than 29% in May 2015?

Yes, it is. No Labour opposition since 1918 has gone into the election with Liberals in government. That's the crucial difference this time. I could envisage the 29% 'core Labour' part dropping a little further, though not much. That, however, would still be greatly outweighed by the LD-Lab swing.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It seems pretty clear that most of the Lib Dem to Labour switchers will not be giving up on supporting Labour any time soon. They seem more enthused with the current Labour opposition than Labour's 2010 support.

There is of course no reason why Labour should regard its 2010 support as safely in its column, and there are plenty of indications in the polls that a fair chunk of Labour's current support is not exactly enthusiastic. I do not regard 35% as a minimum level of support for Labour.

I expect Labour to poll in the range of 33%-36%, with the lower end more likely than the top. Very few will be voting positively for Labour next year, but dislike can be a very powerful motivating force.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 924
    But the Tory slogan at GE2015 has already been written - "Vote UKIP get Labour" Should knock UKIP to about 5%
  • Options
    Kimi misses the Q2 cut.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    This post seems to forget that. Lab got 29% in the last GE including sub 28% in England.

Plenty of bottoms to be rocked.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,969
    edited April 2014
    Icarus said:

But the Tory slogan at GE2015 has already been written - "Vote UKIP get Labour" Should knock UKIP to about 5%

Depends......some UKIP supporters are so cheesed off with the established parties they may happily "cut of their nose to spite their face" - the question is, how many?

I also wouldn't be surprised if a fair chunk of UKIP support did not come from Labour 2010 non-voters - they are not going to go blue - (and probably won't be too fussed by a "vote UKIP get Labour message) they'll either vote UKIP or continue their strike. (EDIT) Unless Miliband can show a capacity to reach out to DE voters he has so far conspicuously failed to do in Scotland - in which case they might return to the Labour fold

In any case, until September 19th......

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and an excellent piece by David. Incidentally were there no council by-elections on Thursday?

I am not sure everything is quite so clear.

To my mind, most of the 2015 LibDem to Labour switchers are actually 2005 and 2010 Labour to LibDem switchers just returning home because the effects of Iraq and Blair's other wars have worn off and the LibDems abandoned the left of Labour positioning of Charles Kennedy when it joined the coalition. Do we therefore know how many seats the LibDems held on to/won in 2010 from the Tories and Labour respectively if that is the case?

If UKIP can hold on to most Tory switchers then it does probably put Ed into No10. However how many ordinary potential UKIP voters are like Sean F and don't care if that is the result?

We cannot really appraise things until after next month's Euro elections. Unless the Tories are soundly beaten by both UKIP and Labour, my view is that both the Labour and UKIP votes are soft and ripe for persuading to change/stay at home.

IndyRef will colour everything in Scotland for the rest of this decade but I doubt it will make the blindest bit of difference in rUK next year. Is someone in Surrey or Birmingham or even Newcastle likely to change voting intentions because the Scots north of the wall have stuck 2 fingers up at England? If anything, a YES vote will bring out the natural "little Englander" reaction which should benefit the Tories, especially since Labour will go into meltdown in Scotland in the event of a YES vote.

I agree with OGH that a minority Cameron government in 2010 was unlikely. Gordon Brown would cut his own wrists if he thought it would have prevented the evil Tories. He has a pathological hatred of Tories. I have always reckoned his intervention in the Indy Ref would be the kiss of death on Better Together. Yes leftie Scots seem to love him but everyone else loathes and despises him for the incompetent fool he is.
  • Options
    Hamilton on Pole, Ricardo 2nd
  • Options
    Vettel 3rd, Rosberg 4th
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    To look at it another way, is the improving economy really likely to switch many votes from Lab to Con when Labour’s hardly gained any swing voters from the Tories since 2010 anyway?
    The swing voters are still swinging.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I expect Labour to poll in the range of 33%-36%, with the lower end more likely than the top. Very few will be voting positively for Labour next year, but dislike can be a very powerful motivating force.

I agree with that completely.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Morning all and an excellent piece by David. Incidentally were there no council by-elections on Thursday?

There was one minor council election on Thursday Wellington TC College ward ( Telford and Wrekin ) Labour gain from Conservative

Lab 395 Con 134 UKIP 126 Ind 124
  • Options
    And in case anyone is caring and for betting completeness sake - Alonso 5th.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Sorry and I know this will be heresy to many but I just cannot see the attraction of 20 ish young men driving elongated cars round in circles for several hours at breakneck speeds.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    If any event was immaculately calibrated to measure the chasm between the political classes and that vast majority of the populace who may be called “normal people”, it was the announcement made by the Labour Party on what was less a Good Friday for it than The Best Friday Ever.

The chances are that to you, being normal, the name David Axelrod rings either the faintest of bells, or no bell at all. Evidently it did not chime with the Labour staffer who spelt it “Alexrod” in a press release. Yet elsewhere in Westminster, or wherever Westminster is taking its hols, the hiring of this American political strategist to advise Ed Miliband will have caused a seismic eruption of fear, exultation and visceral excitement beyond measurement on the political Richter scale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10775119/David-Axelrod-faces-his-toughest-challenge-yet-with-Ed-Miliband.html
  • Options
    Incidentally a free short story, Sir Edric and the Vampire Lord, is up here: http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/1/post/2014/04/sir-edric-and-the-vampire-lord.html

It's very topical (no really, it is), so I hope you give it a quick look.

I'll see about doing an F1 post this morning, though it might be early afternoon.
  • Options

JackW said:

No opposition 12 months from the election will be at its core support.

Hague's was.
    JackW said:

Part of Labours present approx 35% support will be soft.

But which part? The pbc polling average had Labour at 36.5% last month. Labour won 29% in 2010. They've had a transfer of 7-8% from the Lib Dems, which appears solid.
    JackW said:

The soufflé bash the government vote that any principal opposition traditionally enjoys is in effect. This is especially true of Labour in opposition having just lost power.

But the direct net Con-Lab swing in the polls is virtually nil. Most polls record about a 1-2% gross movement each way.
    JackW said:

Worse for Labour since WWII no Labour opposition has ever increased its share of the vote at the subsequent general election having just lost power. Is it possible for Labour to buck this historical fact. It would mean Labour polling more than 29% in May 2015?

Yes, it is. No Labour opposition since 1918 has gone into the election with Liberals in government. That's the crucial difference this time. I could envisage the 29% 'core Labour' part dropping a little further, though not much. That, however, would still be greatly outweighed by the LD-Lab swing.
    I'm amazed that such a highly regarded contributor like Herders falls into the "Smithson Trap".

Close polls a year out from a general election are rarely a guide to final results especially with Labour in Opposition.

We talk glibly about "core vote". Essentially this is a moveable feast at the margin that ALL parties add to at the final count, with inclined voters of no party, swing voters and occasional voters added to their overall pool. Even Hague added to the Conservative core vote but at a much lower rate than Blair.

In terms of the current Labour score of 35% I'd estimate for May 2015 about one quarter of that is soft. Some will stay, some will be lost and then Labour with other parties will challenge for the various uncommitted strand of viable voters. For the punter looking ahead the challenge is to project to the final scores and wager accordingly.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,472

Sorry and I know this will be heresy to many but I just cannot see the attraction of 20 ish young men driving elongated cars round in circles for several hours at breakneck speeds.

I cannot see the attraction of 22 young men getting paid tens of thousands a week to chase a round ball about some grass.

I am open to being converted to watching horses jump things as they go around.

But not grown men hitting small balls with long sticks. Oh no. Never that.
  • Options

The reason you can't see it is because it's not there...

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353

Mike, are you planning to do a thread on your recent trip to Edinburgh, be interesting to hear your views as an intelligent outsider having been at the centre of things.
  • Options
    Interesting summary from Tom Watson on the Cyril Smith allegations, and other ongoing inquiries:

http://labourlist.org/2014/04/in-praise-of-simon-danczuk/

I wonder who this is aimed at?

Yet the daggers are already being sharpened in the salons of North London. ‘How can he serialise in the Mail?,’ ‘Why is he criticising Labour people?,’ and ‘He’s not a proper journalist’ are just three of the attacks I’ve heard whispered in the last few days.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Notwithstanding the below, I imagine that there is a large slice of the UKIP vote that is squeezable. Once it starts talking a little more specifically about issues beyond the EU and immigration - tax rates, pensions, spending etc - then it will become more vulnerable. And if UKIP doesn't talk about them, in a GE campaign it will very quickly become peripheral.

No-one is going to be voting UKIP, and thinking UKIP will win the General Election.

• Options

Easterross, I am of the same mind, would bore the pants off you.
  • Options
    People like different things. It's fair enough.

Of course, I will have to set fire to several of you for heretical utterances, as Mr. Easterross rightly suggested, but I respect your right to hold a different opinion.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,305
    edited April 2014
    There's no question whatsoever that a proportion of Labour's core support were pig sick of Broon in 2007 and leant their vote to what they perceived was an equally left wing alternative. This has now returned home and I have no doubt that the floor for Labour is in that 35-37% range. The real question is what happens to the UKIP vote; my guess is that come GE they will poll 6-7%, so how will the other 4-5% they are currently polling break? Can Labour reach 40%, which looks tricky but not impossible?

I don't find the ARSE predictions credible because they show such little movement in seats. The 5-6% added back into the Labour vote will definitely bring some seats with it. There is no way Labour won't win seats like Hendon, Wolves SW, Dewsbury etc. The other key factor is that for all the hubris on here the Tories actually had an appallingly poor result in 2010; they didn't get close to a majority and in many seats they gained primarily because of the swing from Lab to LD. Given that I cannot see them actually improving on their overall vote share - incumbent parties rarely do, then the swingback from LD to Labour can only hurt them. Lab most seats seems nailed on to me; majority is much less certain.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning and a happy Easter weekend.

All those hoping, wanting, relying, wishing and praying for a massive UKIP collapse of support before polling day, GE 2015, are I'm afraid, due for a bitter disappointment.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,472

Interesting summary from Tom Watson on the Cyril Smith allegations, and other ongoing inquiries:

Yet the daggers are already being sharpened in the salons of North London. ‘How can he serialise in the Mail?,’ ‘Why is he criticising Labour people?,’ and ‘He’s not a proper journalist’ are just three of the attacks I’ve heard whispered in the last few days.

Anyone who heard Danczuk's interview on R5 last week can see that he's not so much interested in the abuse as scoring political points.

Contemptible.

And now the odious Watson's involved.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    DavidH: Thank you for a thoughtful piece as usual.

I presume that this is written in a way that assumes that the NO campaign will win the Referendum?

However, if the gap tightens and the NOs win say by 52:48 (or by less), then the campaign for another vote could grow. The strength of that campaign will be depend on the Referendum turnout. Anything less than 50%, then a campaign for another vote can be easily batted away, but should the it be >70% and the SNP continues to dominate the Scottish Parliament, then it would be more difficult to put off another vote.

If EdM does become PM, then he might easily give Scotland a very large Devomax in order to preserve his Scottish Labour MPs in the HoC, even though they may be able to vote on very few matters of interest to Scotland.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The real question is what happens to the UKIP vote; my guess is that come GE they will poll 6-7%, so how will the other 4-5% they are currently polling break?

Recently UKIP's poll numbers have been between 10%-20%, depending on the pollster.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Don't really agree with the premise presented here. Firstly, on UNS, if Lab poll 35,Libs 13 and UKIP 10, Con need 38 to maintain a seat lead. That's not including incumbency effect, or the likely Scottish effect - yes for obvious reasons, or no meaning devomax is on the table. Labour are at high water in Scotland.
    Additionally, are they really polling at 'core'?
    There is the possibility of tactical voting against the Tories. That will eat into the 35 if it goes to the Libs. There's swing back which ought to knock a point or so off as some decide to cling to nurse.
    There's turnout, which Labour often struggle with when unpopular or not desired to any degree.
    I've got them on 32-33 for the GE with the Tories on 35-36, if they fail to win back much Kipper support.
  • Options
    Addendum - where are the Red Liberal votes coming from? I'd argue one to one and half % of the 35 are dead votes in the blue south. Labours 2015 35 is a 2010 33.5 in effect.
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, I think (in your scenario) Scottish MPs would retain full voting rights as per the 'second class MP' line that Labour peddle to avoid the West Lothian Question (not that the other parties are much better).
  • Options

Anyone who heard Danczuk's interview on R5 last week can see that he's not so much interested in the abuse as scoring political points.

Contemptible.

And now the odious Watson's involved.
    I didn't hear the interview - but he's got the Daily Mail helping him......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2604021/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Now-need-told-WHOLE-truth.html

I support those who work to expose historical abuse - but agree, seeking to tie it to contemporary politicians who had no involvement is contemptible.
  • Options
    Financier said:

I presume that this is written in a way that assumes that the NO campaign will win the Referendum?

However, if the gap tightens and the NOs win say by 52:48 (or by less), then the campaign for another vote could grow. The strength of that campaign will be depend on the Referendum turnout. Anything less than 50%, then a campaign for another vote can be easily batted away, but should the it be >70% and the SNP continues to dominate the Scottish Parliament, then it would be more difficult to put off another vote.

If EdM does become PM, then he might easily give Scotland a very large Devomax in order to preserve his Scottish Labour MPs in the HoC, even though they may be able to vote on very few matters of interest to Scotland.

If he gives full DEVOMAX, the Scottish Westminster presence will be zero. They'll work out.a way of voting on defence etc jointly between the parliaments.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm amazed that such a highly regarded contributor like Herders falls into the "Smithson Trap".

Close polls a year out from a general election are rarely a guide to final results especially with Labour in Opposition.

We talk glibly about "core vote". Essentially this is a moveable feast at the margin that ALL parties add to at the final count, with inclined voters of no party, swing voters and occasional voters added to their overall pool. Even Hague added to the Conservative core vote but at a much lower rate than Blair.

In terms of the current Labour score of 35% I'd estimate for May 2015 about one quarter of that is soft. Some will stay, some will be lost and then Labour with other parties will challenge for the various uncommitted strand of viable voters. For the punter looking ahead the challenge is to project to the final scores and wager accordingly.

But Jack, which quarter?

Can Labour drop below 35%? Yes, of course they can. They will do in the European elections - which, given that there'll be a lower turnout too, represents a far smaller number of actual voters: their true 'core', perhaps.

But given a turnout in the 55-65 range, as for recent elections, the only way they can drop below that now is if they start losing voters who backed Brown, or if the Yellow-to-Reds start peeling off. Maybe Ed will repel either or both of those groups but they've looked very sticky since late 2010 for the latter and late 2009 for the former.

To put it another way, if Labour had increased their share to their current 37-ish based on a swing of 8% from the Tories since 2010 then yes, a quarter of their vote would be soft, swing voters, but that isn't the case. I'm not saying that this represents a new long-term settlement. Indeed, if Miliband does form a government, I'd expect Labour's ratings to melt like snow in April, with them quite possibly falling below the lowest figures Brown set. But he'd still have won an election first.

The formation of the coalition has changed political dynamics so significantly that many of the old rules either no longer apply or at the least, have to be greatly modified.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Financier said:

If he gives full DEVOMAX, the Scottish Westminster presence will be zero. They'll work out.a way of voting on defence etc jointly between the parliaments.
    I don't think that EdM's mnd works that way to give that conclusion - he wants to preserve his MPs in Scotland and in Wales.

However in Wales, Carwyn Jones is so scared of the thought of being responsible for Taxation and Expenditure, that he will do anything to avoid that responsibility and will just try to ramp up the Barnett formula.
  • Options

JackW said:

But Jack, which quarter?

Can Labour drop below 35%? Yes, of course they can. They will do in the European elections - which, given that there'll be a lower turnout too, represents a far smaller number of actual voters: their true 'core', perhaps.

But given a turnout in the 55-65 range, as for recent elections, the only way they can drop below that now is if they start losing voters who backed Brown, or if the Yellow-to-Reds start peeling off. Maybe Ed will repel either or both of those groups but they've looked very sticky since late 2010 for the latter and late 2009 for the former.

To put it another way, if Labour had increased their share to their current 37-ish based on a swing of 8% from the Tories since 2010 then yes, a quarter of their vote would be soft, swing voters, but that isn't the case. I'm not saying that this represents a new long-term settlement. Indeed, if Miliband does form a government, I'd expect Labour's ratings to melt like snow in April, with them quite possibly falling below the lowest figures Brown set. But he'd still have won an election first.

The formation of the coalition has changed political dynamics so significantly that many of the old rules either no longer apply or at the least, have to be greatly modified.
    What about the ones that pegged their noses and voted Brown 2010, and things haven't been as bad as they feared so won't bother to turn out this time? Or last minute cling to nursers? Or the Scottish Broon boosters? Or Union men sick of the middle ground?
    There's always a soft quarter.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    antifrank said:

They may not been enthusiastic about Miliband.

But nothing enthuses Labour supporters more than the prospect of beating the Tories.

They need no other incentive.

Conservative supporters may not understand it, but a visceral, tribal antipathy towards their party is a master motivator.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

I don't think that EdM's mnd works that way to give that conclusion - he wants to preserve his MPs in Scotland and in Wales.

However in Wales, Carwyn Jones is so scared of the thought of being responsible for Taxation and Expenditure, that he will do anything to avoid that responsibility and will just try to ramp up the Barnett formula.
    I understand your point, but I think there is no way he'd get away with having 59 Scottish MPs voting on a budget that does not impact Scotland as they set their own fiscal policy under devomax. It's unsustainable.
  • Options
    By the way, thank you to David H for an excellent piece.

Happy Easter one and all.
  • Options

Financier said:

There will be NO devomax. If it is NO then Scotland will get no extra powers, they will get more responsibilities and less money to try and get labour back in power.
    So choice is vote YES for hope or vote NO to be trashed by either labour or Tories for their own ends.
  • Options

Addendum - where are the Red Liberal votes coming from? I'd argue one to one and half % of the 35 are dead votes in the blue south. Labours 2015 35 is a 2010 33.5 in effect.

The polling doesn't support you.

When Lord Ashcroft did a massive poll with a huge sample size he discovered that the Tories were doing WORSE in the marginals, strongly suggesting that the Red Liberals are coming out in force where it matters, and voting tactically for the Yellow Liberals in seat where Labour cannot win.

Anecdote alert: I met three 2010 Liberals yesterday. All say they are certain to vote Labour next year.

One guy has never voted Labour in a General Election before.
  • Options

Financier said:

Financier said:

I understand your point, but I think there is no way he'd get away with having 59 Scottish MPs voting on a budget that does not impact Scotland as they set their own fiscal policy under devomax. It's unsustainable.
    Hi Dyedwoolie:

Yes I understand where you are coming from, but with political apathy being what it is (and I do not see it changing much in the next 5-10 years), EdM has to retain his MPs in the Celtic nations or else he risks Labour never having majority in the rUK (after constituency equilisation.) He would never be forgiven for sounding that death knell.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10775360/Influential-politician-visited-guest-house-at-centre-of-child-sex-investigation.html

"Mr Danczuk said he is convinced that there was a “network of paedophiles” operating in the Commons who helped to protect Smith.

He said: “I think some of these people are still in Parliament. I don't think it's substantial, but everything would indicate that ring has existed for some time.""
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

But nothing enthuses Labour supporters more than the prospect of beating the Tories.

Conservative supporters may not understand it, but a visceral, tribal antipathy towards their party is a master motivator.
    So why did. Labour get 27.9% in England in 2010 ? Where was this mythical marginal supporting mob of hate then ?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The polling doesn't support you.

When Lord Ashcroft did a massive poll with a huge sample size he discovered that the Tories were doing WORSE in the marginals, strongly suggesting that the Red Liberals are coming out in force where it matters, and voting tactically for the Yellow Liberals in seat where Labour cannot win.

Anecdote alert: I met three 2010 Liberals yesterday. All say they are certain to vote Labour next year.

One guy has never voted Labour in a General Election before.
    A poll conducted when Labour were 10 points ahead or so.
    Libs cannot poll 10% AND stop the Tories where it matters. If they increase, Labour deflate.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

There will be NO devomax. If it is NO then Scotland will get no extra powers, they will get more responsibilities and less money to try and get labour back in power.
    So choice is vote YES for hope or vote NO to be trashed by either labour or Tories for their own ends.
    Yes, I agree. I was postulating on something that won't happen anyway.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

So why did. Labour get 27.9% in England in 2010 ? Where was this mythical marginal supporting mob of hate then ?
    1. The election is UK wide. Shall I quote percentages in Wales or Scotland?

2. To answer your question,many voted Liberal. I was one of them. Never again.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

Financier said:

Hi Dyedwoolie:

Yes I understand where you are coming from, but with political apathy being what it is (and I do not see it changing much in the next 5-10 years), EdM has to retain his MPs in the Celtic nations or else he risks Labour never having majority in the rUK (after constituency equilisation.) He would never be forgiven for sounding that death knell.
    A yes would exhonorate him!
  • Options
    Blimey - I go away for a while and Ed has won the 2015 GE.....
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Excellent article David H. It is nice to see what I, OGH and couple of others have said for what seem years with a headline and an explanation. I think you will get the same replies' myself and others received in response. It was one of the reasons I stopped saying it eighteen months ago. You cannot make people listen who do not want to hear.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited April 2014
    I'm beginning to detect an element of panic in the Tory-Peebie ranks. I'm also coming round to the view that this election will be like no other, not only because England has joined the other countries of the UK in 4-party politics but also in the depth of polling and the use of social media: for example, how often will Tory Central Office send out that photo of Ed Miliband gurning to its list of floating voters' mobile phones? Daily? Twice a day? Hourly?

We also don't know yet what the manifestoes will say. Yes, we've all learnt to discount them as irrelevant but once again 2015 is going to break the rules.

For Labour, they have to say whether they intend to protect what's left of the 1945 welfare settlement (the NHS, mostly) or whether they will spend only what the country can afford. They surely can't do both. Whatever they say will cost them votes.

For the coalition parties, their manifestoes can hardly ignore the fact that they've been governing in coalition for the last 5 years. In particular, Cameron will be pressed on what he would have done with a majority that he hasn't been able to do in the real world. The answer will cost him votes: either "nothing" (so why give him a majority) or else measures that will appeal only to his hard core, and not to floating voters.

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it: and one thing the past teaches us is when the present day is unlike the verities we learnt in our youth and have clung to for warmth ever since.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

Given your record on here, you'll forgive me if I take anything you say with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

Excellent article David H. It is nice to see what I, OGH and couple of others have said for what seem years with a headline and an explanation. I think you will get the same replies' myself and others received in response. It was one of the reasons I stopped saying it eighteen months ago. You cannot make people listen who do not want to hear.

Oh that we all had the wisdom of Solomon
  • Options
    My latest blogpost, this time on UKIP's prospects:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.hu/2014/04/ukipalypse-now-where-might-ukip-win-seat.html

I don't suppose that it will make many people happy.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

You omit the word "some" or "many" from your second sentence. There are many Labour supporters who really aren't all that fussed. You're projecting your own views onto many voters who are very different from you.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,305
    TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

Alot didn't vote, like Tories in 01. Many others joined the Cleggasm. Lab/LD combined was 52% and this exposes the Tories weak position. PB tories have consistently underestimated the potential for this vote to realign in 2015 in a way that greatly damages them.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

1. How many seats can the Tories lose in Wales and Scotland?

2. Your buyer's remorse is evident - but may cloud your judgement in the same way you accuse others.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

"They may not been enthusiastic about Miliband"

The wider public are not enthusiastic about any of the 3 main party leaders , that also gives the Labour party as a brand the chance of a greater hearing in any debate and election campaign.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

This post seems to forget that. Lab got 29% in the last GE including sub 28% in England.

Some of the gap between the 35% and the 29% is people who went off Lab for leftie reasons e.g. Iraq.
  • Options

Oh that we all had the wisdom of Solomon
    Or the modesty of St Padre Pio......

• Options
    antifrank said:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.hu/2014/04/ukipalypse-now-where-might-ukip-win-seat.html

Now we need to get Nigel to stand in Waveney...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Oh I dunno.....I enjoyed it!

It seems that the bookies are catering to the enthusiasm of the purple punters by relieving them of their money at poor odds.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2014
    An interesting article Mr Herdson, nice to have another impartial one. Overall I think it more likely we will end up with EdM as the largest party than other scenarios. But, it is all finely balanced. I suggest that the underlying polling is 33% C and 35% Lab if we strip out recent hills and valleys. Looking over the next year there are some factors that have to be added in on top of Lab's advantage in voter distribution.
    1. I suggest Lab's 2010 core is nearer 25% than 29%, that is its starting point, as we can see in Scotland a large chunk (circa 1%) of its voters are prepared to vote for others such as SNP.
    2. The Conservatives have 1st time incumbents in most of the seats Lab are chasing. That 2,000+ or so vote advantage will make a difference.*

*Unless the C's have a p/poor MP such as Soubry who does not grasp the need to connect with her grassroots members.
  • Options

There's no question whatsoever that a proportion of Labour's core support were pig sick of Broon in 2007 and leant their vote to what they perceived was an equally left wing alternative. This has now returned home and I have no doubt that the floor for Labour is in that 35-37% range. The real question is what happens to the UKIP vote; my guess is that come GE they will poll 6-7%, so how will the other 4-5% they are currently polling break? Can Labour reach 40%, which looks tricky but not impossible?

I don't find the ARSE predictions credible because they show such little movement in seats. The 5-6% added back into the Labour vote will definitely bring some seats with it. There is no way Labour won't win seats like Hendon, Wolves SW, Dewsbury etc. The other key factor is that for all the hubris on here the Tories actually had an appallingly poor result in 2010; they didn't get close to a majority and in many seats they gained primarily because of the swing from Lab to LD. Given that I cannot see them actually improving on their overall vote share - incumbent parties rarely do, then the swingback from LD to Labour can only hurt them. Lab most seats seems nailed on to me; majority is much less certain.

You are in error.

Firstly for finding my ARSE prediction as not "credible" and secondly basing you assumption on "such little change in seats".

Presently the projection has a seat gain for Labour of just over 20, a seat loss for LibDems of just under 20 seats and odds and sods at the margin for other parties. You need to recall not every election is a portend of a landslide, indeed they are the exception.

You also note that incumbent parties "rarely" improve their share of the vote. Certainly true of Labour but not the Conservatives.

• Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

Some of the gap between the 35% and the 29% is people who went off Lab for leftie reasons e.g. Iraq.
    Winds me up how anything 'bad' is classified as right-wing. Illegal wars, civil liberties abuses and corruption are as much left as right wing problems.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

2. Your buyer's remorse is evident - but may cloud your judgement in the same way you accuse others.
    I am looking at the polling evidence. As is David, as is Mike.

You are just wishfully thinking.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

You omit the word "some" or "many" from your second sentence. There are many Labour supporters who really aren't all that fussed. You're projecting your own views onto many voters who are very different from you.
    We'll see...
  • Options
    On topic, yes it's obvious due to the dodgy boundaries and the Lib Dems unpopularity Labour are going to get in. I can see them getting a majority on less votes than the Tories.

The problem for them is what happens when they get there. There's no money to chuck about this time which is pretty much their entire philosophy (well that and beating the Tories).

They don't seem to have got their act together since the last time they were in power either. It's going to be an absolute disaster.
  • Options
    saddened said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

Given your record on here, you'll forgive me if I take anything you say with a pinch of salt.
    You calling me a liar?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

How many seats can the Tories lose in Wales and Scotland? That was your point, wasn't it?

As a 2010 Buyer's remorse Lib Dem, you'll forgive me if I doubt your objectivity.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I've finished phase one of my blogposts, which was to look at the current odds in individual constituencies. The next phase will be to consider certain key categories of voters and to identify how their voting decisions might affect particular categories of constituency.

I have quite a lot of research to do for that, so posts are likely to be more irregularly timed.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

Alot didn't vote, like Tories in 01. Many others joined the Cleggasm. Lab/LD combined was 52% and this exposes the Tories weak position. PB tories have consistently underestimated the potential for this vote to realign in 2015 in a way that greatly damages them.

I'm sure the fixing of the economy and Eds dire personal ratings will result in queues outside the polling booth...
  • Options
    @Dyed

You are wrong.

The average Labour lead in September, when the Ashcroft poll was taken, was only 1-2 points less than it is at the moment.
  • Options

MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

Winds me up how anything 'bad' is classified as right-wing. Illegal wars, civil liberties abuses and corruption are as much left as right wing problems.
    Cultural hegemony innit.

I agree there are both leftie and rightie reasons for being anti-Iraq. I'm just saying the Lab core vote in 2010 was deflated by the leftie component of that.)

(Similarly I'd expect Ukip voters to be more anti-Iraq for rightie reasons.)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The 20th Century was a time of real political revolution in the UK. Not only was most of the Irish problem devolved, but the Liberals were nigh eliminated by the rise of Labour. (Also saw the franchise widened significantly).

We saw the Liberal party splintered prior to WW2 and only saved by the SDPs coming away from Labour in the 1981 and merging with the Liberals in the same decade - as both were fighting for the same bathwater and faced a mutual drought - no room for a fourth party.

At the same time, due to the UK's economic weakness (bankruptcy) after WW2 and its inability to invest in new manufacturing facilities whilst supporting the front line during the Cold War, we saw the UK give away a lot of its self-determination to a partially-federal and pseudo-free trade organisation - and its subsquent consequences. At the same time, the trading strengths of the (now) Commonwealth were largely abandoned.

Naturally as this was counter to the basic raison d'etre of WW2 (and natural justice), we saw the emergence of UKIP (in varying guises) - more among the older people than the younger as globalisation increased. Yet across Europe the post WW2 period has seen a return to nationalism as well as a rise in Fundamental Islam.

Now that it can be argued that with the SDPs have returned home, is there really room for a fourth party (the LDs) whose policies chime with few of the electorate - they also suffered severe losses after emerging from the WW2 coalition.

Perhaps it should be allowed to die a natural death or does it have the strength and purpose to rise again?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Incidentally, I've finished phase one of my blogposts, which was to look at the current odds in individual constituencies. The next phase will be to consider certain key categories of voters and to identify how their voting decisions might affect particular categories of constituency.

I have quite a lot of research to do for that, so posts are likely to be more irregularly timed.

Thanks for doing these - may I make a suggestion?

I didn't quite cotton on to what you were saying until you explained it on here.

Would it be possible (if not already done) to include that brief explanation in your blog - I found it much easier to understand after reading that!
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

How many seats can the Tories lose in Wales and Scotland? That was your point, wasn't it?

As a 2010 Buyer's remorse Lib Dem, you'll forgive me if I doubt your objectivity.
    No my point was why quote percentages in just England?

I am looking at the clear polling evidence, as is David, as is Mike.

You are looking somewhere else for your views.
  • Options

JackW said:

But Jack, which quarter?

I'm sorry Herders but the whole premise of your argument is that essentially the election is now and that year out polls are set in stone. The art of successful political betting is get ahead of the game and not allow short term or present circumstances to colour your judgement in not allowing for other circumstance to potentially intervene.

In short present performance is no guide to next years performance - Ask Man Utd supporters !!

I posed the same question to OGH the other day and response was there none, namely :

Essentially, do you believe the broad thrust of present polling is the result for May 2015 ?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    If the current Lab core vote is 35% the weak point is not the Lib switchers as they are for the most part *more* leftie than the Lab centre of gravity. The weak point is their wwc support as Con would have found out if they'd had a proper public inquiry into why the grooming gangs were ignored for years.

edit: so their real core vote is somewhere between 25% and 35% depending on how much of their wwc vote hate them.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Yes, I agree. I was postulating on something that won't happen anyway.
    Understand Woolie, the right wingers on here would not understand that , they prefer to believe the lies.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,374
    edited April 2014

Financier said:

Financier said:

The corollary of Mr Dyedwoolie's view is that Mr Miliband needs to keep the Barnett formula system - it is the only way in which he can remotely justify his Scottish Labour MPs voting on supposedly English-only matters which in fact are UK wide as a result of Barnett consequentials. Which would tie in very well with Mr Financier's point [edit to clarify: about Mr Jones in Wales being anxious to keep the system.

How that can be reconciled with the pressure for Devomax under the sort of borderline No he might have to face is not at all clear, however much the Scottish part of Labour might loathe the SNP in the most irrational manner. (If there is a Yes, as someone noted, there won't be any problem!).

Interesting.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

No my point was why quote percentages in just England?

I am looking at the clear polling evidence, as is David, as is Mike.

You are looking somewhere else for your views.
    Since you won't answer your own question - if the Tories lost ALL their Scottish and Welsh seats they'd be down 9 - if they lost the 2010 gains, 5.

Hence the importance of how England votes for the Tories.

It will be a pity if Miliband's failure to reach his Scottish DE voters means Scotland separates and England becomes even more important in UK elections, but we are where we are.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Once again this government shows flagrant disregard for individual privacy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27086401

The idea that a large number of people won't be identified from their tax data is obviously idiotic. Once again, David Davis is doing sterling work in leading the charge against it. It turns out that in the last leadership contest, Davis was the one who actually had strong liberal values, while Cameron has next to no understanding of them.

Seriously, why should the government be able to pass on my own financial records, 'anonymously' or not, without my permission?
  • Options

antifrank said:

Thanks for doing these - may I make a suggestion?

I didn't quite cotton on to what you were saying until you explained it on here.

Would it be possible (if not already done) to include that brief explanation in your blog - I found it much easier to understand after reading that!
    Will do. I now have to go and do some gardening, but I'll put that up later today.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

Cultural hegemony innit.

I agree there are both leftie and rightie reasons for being anti-Iraq. I'm just saying the Lab core vote in 2010 was deflated by the leftie component of that.)

(Similarly I'd expect Ukip voters to be more anti-Iraq for rightie reasons.)
    Authoritarianism has nothing to do with right and left.

Lefties like to think it does to give them a sense of moral superiority as they know their economic and social policies are disasterous.
This discussion has been closed.