Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s end the nonsense of sterile PPBs and have proper paid

13»

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    While we wait for the OBR, here is some interim good news from the retail sector where news has been mixed in the last couple of weeks (Tesco & M&S disappointing, the former on international operations, the latter on clothing).

Asda is investing 700m pounds in in its online operations, new and existing stores and its supply chain after posting an increase in 2012 sales.

The company will create 2,500 jobs though the investment in its growing multichannel business, with stores supporting its internet and smartphone channels.

The British arm of US retailer Wal-Mart will open 10 new stores this year including five superstores, four new small format supermarkets and one non-food outlet.

Asda currently has 568 UK stores after opening two new stores this year.

The announcement came as the retailer posted a 4.5% rise in total sales, including petrol, to £22.8bn in 2012.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013

The first one, obviously. But the Tory line will have to be that it's the second one so they can blame them for whatever goes wrong.

In practice it would be a mixture of the two, but of course at this stage we have not the slightest clue about how much reality would get mixed into the fantasy. I have a horrible feeling that the excellent assessment by Janan Ganesh in the FT (which Carlotta linked to upthread) could be spot-on.
  • Options
    No, in fact hell no.

Do we really want the concept of swiftboating, pacs and superpacs over here?

• Options
    UKIP really are charlatans.

UKIP used to be in favour of HS2 as recently as 2010.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2013/04/when-ukip-called-for-three-new-high-speed-rail-lines/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Indeed, Mr. Eagles. One of the unsung successes of British politics, along with the absolutely non-partisan approach to the abortion topic, is the way that money is a relatively minor factor. There isn't massive, ridiculous spending akin to what happens in the US.
  • Options

Indeed, Mr. Eagles. One of the unsung successes of British politics, along with the absolutely non-partisan approach to the abortion topic, is the way that money is a relatively minor factor. There isn't massive, ridiculous spending akin to what happens in the US.

I was in America last September and October, and the plethora of ads for politicians on the TV, even down to congressional races wasn't appealing, plus it was all so negative

"Vote for me, or the world will end" type of ads.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    tim said:

Bleeding obvious

Osborne in Scotland: right message, wrong messenger

:tumbleweeds-bustard-feather-sic:

• Options
    What would improve turnout at the next election, would be if Brian Blessed was allowed to conduct the Prime Ministerial Debates.

Watch turnout out rocket.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    Shields Gazette website...politics section (last 10 days)

Political rivals put family albums in frame
    VIDEO: Miliband visits South Shields to give support to Labour candidate
    Labour chief’s nuke-test vets vow
    By-election battle lines drawn
    TV comic Lee Nelson joins then quits South Shields election battle
    Nine in fight for David Miliband’s South Shields seat
    South Shields ‘MP candidate’ Lee Nelson starts campaigning
    TV comic Lee Nelson ‘to stand for election in South Shields’
    Special school set for academy status
    ‘Who better than party leader to endorse you?’
    VIDEO: Ed backs Emma to replace departing David
    Lull in canvassing for ‘divisive’ Thatcher’s funeral
    VIDEO: ‘Labour should do more for disabled’ Miliband told
    VIDEO: Leader’s tribute to candidate and council chief
    SLIDESHOW: Labour’s ‘Ed boy’ visits South Shields
    VIDEO: Miliband told of concern over jobs and shops
    Hundreds turn out to greet Ed Miliband
    VIDEO: Labour leader Ed Miliband in South Shields
    Follow Ed Miliband’s visit to South Shields
    Labour leader Ed heads for his brother’s old patch
    UKIP man wants to beat coalition
    Ousted councillor Khan seeks comeback - as MP
    Commons writ formally sets by-election date

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/politics
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    Here is one of the Graphs:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/326658870867013633/photo/1

Does the link work?
  • Options
    Aye, Mr. Eagles, I think I, and others, made that point earlier in the comments.

Politics doesn't need more negativity and smearing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Coral offering treble on Sprinter Sacre, Moyles Park and Champagne Fever at a price of 8.00.

Betfair prices of 2.42; 1.13; 2.9 suggest this is a fair price if you fancy a gamble ;)
  • Options
    The vilest American campaign I saw was the 2002 Georgia senate race.

The incumbent, Max Clelland voted against one of the Homeland Security acts proposed by George W Bush.

He had ads run against him implying he was soft on terrorist/not a patriot/a coward.

Now you might think, all's fair in politics, except, Senator Clelland is a triple amputee Vietnam veteran, whilst George W Bush avoided Vietnam by getting a position with the Texas National Air Guard and Dick Cheney, used so many deferments, he missed the Vietnam war.

The sad thing is, it worked and he lost his seat.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    In the IPL cricket, Chrissie Gayle is 95no from 27 balls
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

I'd be inclined to give them a break on this one. I think it's fair enough for opposition parties to change their minds on things in between elections.

• Options

I'd be inclined to give them a break on this one. I think it's fair enough for opposition parties to change their minds on things in between elections.

But the holier than thou comments of their supporters really does grate.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    JohnO said:

it's almost blue sky in Basingstoke..soon be home

You dont have to stop for a drink in every single pub on the way back, JohnO!
  • Options
    Very good work, Sunil.

You should licence SeanT to use the graph in his next Telegraph blog. The implications are sufficiently explosive to justify the kind of cautious wording for which Sean is so renowned.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    rEd paymaster : Labour must bribe to win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22262030

"One of the UK's top union leaders has voiced doubts about whether Labour can win the next general election.

Unite boss Len McCluskey told BBC Radio 5Live that if Labour say they "believe in an austerity programme but won't cut as deep or as fast, it is my view they will lose".

Unite, which has 1.5 million members, is Labour's largest financial backer.

Mr McCluskey's comments come as there is increasing pressure on Labour to give specific details of future policies and set out how its spending plans at the next election, scheduled for 2015, would differ from the Conservatives' and Lib Dems'."
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Curran laying into the SNP on BBC News 24.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    Scottish Govt's (effective) response to the Treasury Paper on Scotland's currency:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00419554.pdf

Includes a wish list of things Scotland would like :

* Formal monetary union with UK, with Bank of England (BofE) as central bank.

* Ownership and governance of BofE undertaken on an explicit shared basis, reflecting Scotland’s current implicit share of existing assets.

* Monetary policy set according to economic conditions across Sterling Zone.

* The Scottish Government to input into appointment process to key positions within Bank of England (for example, Monetary Policy Committee and Financial Policy Committee), its remit and objectives.

* Representative from Scottish Treasury attends MPC meetings in similar capacity to existing HM Treasury representative (i.e. in a non-voting capacity).

* Matters of collective decision making on governance addressed within an overarching agreement between both governments. An institutional arrangement, a ‘Macroeconomic Governance Committee’, to be established.

* Scottish Government to establish an independent Scottish Monetary Institute
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well Robert Chote has finally published his commentary on the ONS Public Finance Figures. It appears Roger has been spilling the beans and not observing PB Carlton House Rules:

some cash receipts received in the early part of 2013-14 relate to economic activity in 2012-13 and will be accrued back to that year. April PAYE and NICs cash receipts largely relate to March salaries and will be accrued back to 2012-13. Likewise, some of the cash VAT receipts received between April and June relate to consumer spending in the first quarter of 2013 and will thus be accrued back to 2012-13. The income tax , NICs and VAT estimates included in today’s release depend to a large extent on forecasts of cash receipts in early 2013-14;

and more

As anticipated in our EFO forecast, central government current spending was much lower than in March 2012. Overall, this reflects the large reductions in spending that departments had agreed with the Treasury. But it also reflects differences in the timing of spending, where payments of grants to local authorities and transfers to the EU had been made earlier this year, compared to last year.

It is quite clear that the government finances are in much better condition than the headline figures are reporting. That said, Chote is reporting lower than expected income tax and NI receipts either suggesting a softening of employment growth or more likely known lower growth in average earnings.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2013

Scottish Govt's (effective) response to the Treasury Paper on Scotland's currency:

* Insane list

I can here the laughter at the Treasury from here.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    "* Monetary policy set according to economic conditions across Sterling Zone. "

Lol - aye right !

Sounds like what the Greeks are getting from the Germans.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

* Insane list

And then the MoD gets on the phone and says 'Trident'.......

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Anorak said:

Hear, here!
  • Options
    BETTING POST

If Al-Beeb's £120.6 billion guestimate holds true until June then I will pay the princely sum of £50 to Junior's paternal's site-costs. If not can Wee-Timmy ensure that the same happens (and not w3ltch)...?

[NOTE: Our Gay-Oirish eejit should pay double the antee for feckin' interference! Bermondsey should STFU, ennit!]
  • Options

Anorak said:

* Insane list

And then the MoD gets on the phone and says 'Trident'.......

The SNP post independence political strategy revealed as "blame London" : win or lose :)
  • Options
    I have a suggestion for the currency debate between the treasury and the SNP.

The Treasury should agree to all the SNP demands, but inform the SNP, that post referendum the following will happen

1) The pound will be renamed "The Thatcher"

2) All coins and notes will contain the image of Lady Thatcher on them.

Win win for all sides.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

it's almost blue sky in Basingstoke..soon be home

You dont have to stop for a drink in every single pub on the way back, JohnO!
    It's my penance....

...And I'm not talking to you! Grrr.

• Options
    It's beginning increasingly clear that the SNP don't understand that the word 'independence' means you become a separate country.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2013
    Has there ever been a poll on whether the rest if the UK wants Scotland to stay or not?
  • Options
    @SeanT

Arguing that the conditions exist for an optimal currency area (which is what the lines you quoted are doing) is not the same as arguing that all parts of the optimal currency area should pool sovereignty. I dont a contradiction.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    welshowl said:

Has there ever been a poll in whether the rest if the UK wants Scotland to stay or not?

Kinda, a few times. Using England as a proxy for the rest of the UK.

This is the latest one from the Gold Standard, is from Jan 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9015374/Britain-divided-over-Scottish-independence.html
  • Options
    I hope the Out/Yes group can step up their game. We need to rid the UK of the scourge of 40ish Labour seats !
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Neil said:

@SeanT

Arguing that the conditions exist for an optimal currency area (which is what the lines you quoted are doing) is not the same as arguing that all parts of the optimal currency area should pool sovereignty. I dont a contradiction.

What is the evidence that the monetary union has achieved successful results that don't apply to the political union achieving successful results?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pulpstar said:

I hope the Out/Yes group can step up their game. We need to rid the UK of the scourge of 40ish Labour seats !

Don't forget the scourge of the eleven Scottish Lib Dem seats.

Edit: Which may be down to Tory levels come the next GE.

• Options

welshowl said:

Has there ever been a poll in whether the rest if the UK wants Scotland to stay or not?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9015374/Britain-divided-over-Scottish-independence.html
    Hmmm... would be interesting to track this one over the next 16 months or so.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

What is the evidence that the monetary union has achieved successful results that don't apply to the political union achieving successful results?

Ask the SNP.
  • Options

It's beginning increasingly clear that the SNP don't understand that the word 'independence' means you become a separate country.

As the Quebecois-kid said: They wanted to claim their independence without any fiscal or monetary responsibility. Egged-on by Wigan-boy they spout exchange-rate stability (via a Tweed-level line) built upon oil (outwith gas) but withoout an understand how 'moeny' works.

Scots don't have the "hanging"; if they did then the argument would have been resolved long before this post. The only thing that they hold upon to are the facile arguments - Scotland's 15% of UK taxes (Sturgeon) - that make Smithson's senility thread-headers seem to appear sensible....
  • Options
    It is beginning to sound like someone who wants a divorce... but thinks that keeping a joint account makes sense. And if they stayed in the same house it would be so much more convenient for all concerned.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Hmmm... would be interesting to track this one over the next 16 months or so.
    Unfortunately it is expensive to commission phone polls.

Even The Times only commission Mori to do Scotland polling every 3 or 4 months.

Which is immensely frustrating, as we're left with YouGov and Panelbase, and I have doubts over both of them.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    edited April 2013

And here is the other Graph:

The graphs show an impressive correlation. Anyone speculating on causation?

btw check your vanilla inbox, Ive sent you a message about this.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2013/04/when-ukip-called-for-three-new-high-speed-rail-lines/

Actually the party does have a plausible explanation for the apparent discrepancy. A spokesman says that Ukip is in favour of “high-speed rail”, just not HS2. Under its thinking, you could have new routes alongside existing ones, with much less pain for local residents.

The model would be HS1, from London to the Channel Tunnel, which followed the route of an existing line – and therefore had rather less opposition (although it was not insignificant) than HS2.

Do you think their alleged change of position on HS2 is more or less charlatanry than David Cameron once advocating for no top-down re-organisation of the NHS, or campaigning against Labour's coming 20% VAT bombshell?
  • Options
    The ZX spectrum is 30 years old.

I do miss my spectrums, especially my 128k +3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17776666
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Anorak said:

* Insane list

This is getting silly. If our Scottish friends want Independence, they should just f'ing go. Start their own currency, be separate.

Instead they want some insane bastardised scheme.

At the moment they are a loved and valued part of the UK. If they get their wishes, they'll be a (very) small and junior economic partner. The monetary policy will be set from London, based on the wishes and requirements of the rest of the Kingdom. They'll have to trot along at the heels of the rest of us.

What a terrible state for a great people to descend to.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Actually the party does have a plausible explanation for the apparent discrepancy. A spokesman says that Ukip is in favour of “high-speed rail”, just not HS2. Under its thinking, you could have new routes alongside existing ones, with much less pain for local residents.

The model would be HS1, from London to the Channel Tunnel, which followed the route of an existing line – and therefore had rather less opposition (although it was not insignificant) than HS2.

Do you think their alleged change of position on HS2 is more or less charlatanry than David Cameron once advocating for no top-down re-organisation of the NHS, or campaigning against Labour's coming 20% VAT bombshell?
    They're the same.

See my reply to Edmund below.
  • Options
    Danny Alexander backing Osborne on rUK not signing up to a "Sterling Zone" on R4.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    'It would be nice if British hotels had British receptionists': Labour's immigration spokesman slams tourism industry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313463/It-nice-British-hotels-British-receptionists-Labours-immigration-spokesman-slams-tourism-industry.html

I see Chris Bryant hasn't forgotten labours 'British jobs for British workers' statement.

Lets see how many labour supporters who have been having a go at the Cameron and the coalition over they touth talk on immigration/Romania,Bulgaria free movement of people from the EU have anything to say on what Bryant as said.

You can't pick and choose your workers if you have Eu free movement of people.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Scottish nationalists need to get off the process questions. They will never win a referendum on the basis of the precise transitional arrangements. They're getting bogged down.

They need to explain instead how an independent Scotland would look and act differently from the current arrangement. James Kelly has sought to do this a few times, but the Scottish nationalists have done conspicuously little of this.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited April 2013

Ireland had the pound for about 50 years as an independent country. Isle of man, not in the EU by the way, Jersey, Gibraltar and Falklands all use sterling. At times Roger you forget the basic facts and come up with spew.
    With countries within the EU the line on what defines independence and what is centralised in Europe seems increasingly blurred.

• Options
    I like these bits on the SNP wishlist:

The Scottish Government to input into appointment process to key positions within
    Bank of England (for example, Monetary Policy Committee and Financial Policy
    Committee), its remit and objectives.

Matters of collective decision making on governance addressed within an
    overarching agreement between both governments. An institutional arrangement, a
    ‘Macroeconomic Governance Committee’, to be established.

Yes. Every time there is an appointment to be filled or a decision to be taken, the Scottish government can take a view and the UK government can take a view. There can then be a vote, based on percentage ownership of the bank.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I also note that one of the 20 "economic levers" the SNP claim would be available to them post-independence is "EU legislation". Yes, Scotland will be able to decide that all by itself.

EDIT: Another is international trade policy!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Socrates You can't blame them for trying. Though whether it's wise to keep picking at a sore is another matter entirely.
  • Options

Danny Alexander backing Osborne on rUK not signing up to a "Sterling Zone" on R4.

Healey was honest enough to say the IMF gave him the money based on N Sea oil. Had that been part of indy Scotland then UK would have been even worse on the bottom line in the mid to late 70's.
    Has the situation changed economically on that matter?

• Options

Ireland had the pound for about 50 years as an indepenndent country. Isle of man, not in the EU by the way, Jersey, Gibraltar and Falklands all use sterling. At times Roger you forget the basic facts and come up with spew.

Are you arguing that Scotland should use the pound, but not be backed by the BoE - as is the case in the IoM?
  • Options

The words monkey and organ grinder spring to mind. Lose 40 bill and whisky and vat receipts and see how the world markets react.
  • Options
    I am wholly neutral when it comes to Scotland's upcoming vote, I have no preference whether they stay or go (though I'd probably qualify for a new shiny blue (presumably?) passport should they decide to go - making some assumptions about grandparents' status born north of Hadrian's Wall), however, it does strike me the nats are in a real pickle over this currency issue.

It does seem symptomatic of a recent drift towards the SNP wanting a sort of independence a la carte (no nukes, no debt, but yes to Sterling etc), and a worrying lack of grasp being demonstrated by their spokespeople that independence means well, err, just that really. You really are on your own, largely, even in an interconnected world full of G20's EU's, NATOs' etc (ask Cyprus)

Now whilist it makes perfect level headed sense for all to thrash out reasonable compromises on tax/debt/resources/nukes/currency and doubtless this would happen, I also doubt that Salmond's analogy or a "surly lodger becoming a good neighbour" (I paraphrase) will resonante with the 53.5M English giant sat south of Berwick. You can't spend a considerable period of time telling the English they are the root cause of Scotland's ills and then pretend it's going to be all lovey dovey after. The Scots even after a break will have to spend a lot of time stroking England for their own good.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Neil said:

@SeanT

Neil, I think it is fair to argue that the reason the currency area has been a success is because of the political and fiscal union that a shared government in Westminster has provided.

All the arguments in the Eurozone are over what degree of political and fiscal union is necessary to keep their currency area going.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

EVEL needs resolving - prior to 2015.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

Except as the article makes clear UKIP were never in favour of HS2. They were always in favour of additional high speed lines along side existing rail routes. Interesting that you are so keen to misrepresent their views on this.
  • Options

The vilest American campaign I saw was the 2002 Georgia senate race.

The incumbent, Max Clelland voted against one of the Homeland Security acts proposed by George W Bush.

He had ads run against him implying he was soft on terrorist/not a patriot/a coward.

Now you might think, all's fair in politics, except, Senator Clelland is a triple amputee Vietnam veteran, whilst George W Bush avoided Vietnam by getting a position with the Texas National Air Guard and Dick Cheney, used so many deferments, he missed the Vietnam war.

The sad thing is, it worked and he lost his seat.

That's nothing. In the South Carolina primary in 2000, the Bush campaign ran an anonymous push-poll asking Republican primary voters if they would be less likely to support John McCain if they knew he had an illegitimate black child. The child in question was a Bangladeshi street orphan than John McCain and his wife had adopted.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727

Doesnt that article say they were in favour of high speed rail along existing lines? They were never in favour of HS2

• Options
    On topic.
    The only basis for restricting political advertisements on television and radio is that the extent of the right to freedom of expression ought to depend on the medium by which it is communicated. That is self-evidently preposterous now that broadcasting is no longer a natural monopoly, if it was ever justifiable in the first place. All who support the current ban on the thread do so for the reasons either that they wouldn't like political advertising on TV, or that it would have a detrimental effect on politics. I don't much like Manchester United and strongly believe the leadership of the main political parties has a decidedly detrimental effect on politics. I'm not proposing to ban either.
  • Options
    I don't know enough about the Irish situation so how did it work with Ireland having the pound as an independent country? Is it a realistic model for Scotland?
  • Options

Socrates said:

They're the same.

"The model would be HS1, from London to the Channel Tunnel, which followed the route of an existing line – and therefore had rather less opposition (although it was not insignificant) than HS2."

No, it does not. It leaves St Pancras and tunnels under much of East London and passed under the Thames. If it runs close to anything, then it's the M2 and M20. The only place it signifcantly parallels a railway is the 11-mile stretch east of Ashford.

There is only a relatively small transport corridor for a direct route to Dover whilst avoiding the high ground of the North Downs. Therefore many transport routes congregate through that corridor. There are many more potential routes available from London to the north, especially if you want to avoid or serve population centres.

(As an aside, years ago I got told the government's plans for the Channel Tunnel were delivered to bidders in a couple of cardboard boxes. The plans for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link a few years later came in the back of a lorry with a fork-lift to offload them).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Are we missing the point of the SNP's protestations? Ostensibly about the referendum, but in truth they are a warm up for the post-referendum negotiations about the "Devo-max" consolation prize (aka wooden spoon).
  • Options

Neil, I think it is fair to argue that the reason the currency area has been a success is because of the political and fiscal union that a shared government in Westminster has provided.

All the arguments in the Eurozone are over what degree of political and fiscal union is necessary to keep their currency area going.

I think you're taking the argument further than the document (as much as SeanT quoted anyway) took it. All the document appears to me to be saying is that the conditions are such that Scotland and the rUK would form an optimal currency area. That a currency union between the two would be successful. You could argue that a political and fiscal union would be even more successful but this is obviously not their line (nor does their line depend on there being a political or fiscal union).
  • Options
    Neil said:

All the document appears to me to be saying is that the conditions are such that Scotland and the rUK would form an optimal currency area.

No, it doesn't just say that the conditions would be right for one in the future. It says, historically, the last 300 years of the monetary union have been successful.

• Options

I don't know enough about the Irish situation so how did it work with Ireland having the pound as an independent country? Is it a realistic model for Scotland?

It didn't have the British pound. It had the Irish pound with a currency peg to the British one.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Socrates said:

They're the same.

"The model would be HS1, from London to the Channel Tunnel, which followed the route of an existing line – and therefore had rather less opposition (although it was not insignificant) than HS2."

No, it does not. It leaves St Pancras and tunnels under much of East London and passed under the Thames. If it runs close to anything, then it's the M2 and M20. The only place it signifcantly parallels a railway is the 11-mile stretch east of Ashford.

There is only a relatively small transport corridor for a direct route to Dover whilst avoiding the high ground of the North Downs. Therefore many transport routes congregate through that corridor. There are many more potential routes available from London to the north, especially if you want to avoid or serve population centres.

(As an aside, years ago I got told the government's plans for the Channel Tunnel were delivered to bidders in a couple of cardboard boxes. The plans for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link a few years later came in the back of a lorry with a fork-lift to offload them).
    There's also the short surface stretch between Dagenham and past Rainham, HS1 is right next to the former LTS line.
  • Options
    politicshomeuk Asked if he would accept that unprotected departments face 5-6% further cuts, Danny Alexander says "broadly speaking, yes I would" #wato
  • Options

Ireland had the pound for about 50 years as an independent country. Isle of man, not in the EU by the way, Jersey, Gibraltar and Falklands all use sterling.

Sure, and an independent Scotland could also use Sterling, just as the British Virgin Islands, Ecuador and El Salvador use the US Dollar

What an independent Scotland couldn't do is expect a foreign country to set fiscal and monetary policy to take account of Scotland, any more than the US Treasury takes account of the views of foreign countries which use its currency.

• Options

Ireland used Sterling (with no influence on the BoE) for about 8 years. At that point the Free State Pound was introduced but a monetary union was maintained with Sterling (implicitly restricting Ireland's monetary and fiscal policy) for the next 50 years or so. Then Ireland broke the link with Sterling and attached itself to the German bandwagon via EMS / ERM / ECU / Euro (also with restrictions on monetary and fiscal policy).

Scotland has a wide range of options available:

- use of Sterling without making arrangements with the rUK
    - currency union (involving a say in the BoE)
    - adopting an independent currency that is pegged at 1:1 to Sterling
    - adopting an independent currency that is pegged to any other currency
    - adopting an independent currency that is free to float
    - joining the Euro

It's a political rather than economic consideration though. Obviously the 2nd option is deemed least likely to frighten the horses so that is the favoured approach. The difference in practice between that and the 1st or 3rd options is not likely to be hugely significant.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

The ZX spectrum is 30 years old.

I do miss my spectrums, especially my 128k +3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17776666

Not wishing to p*ss on your chips (geddit), but the speccy is 31 years old. That article is from Apr 23 2012. I've still got my 48k rubber keyboard jobbie - and it works too!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @tim What's their position on the EEA and free movement of workers Richard?

You better ask the same Question to chris Bryant,he seems he doesn't understand it.

• Options
    Socrates said:

It didn't have the British pound. It had the Irish pound with a currency peg to the British one.
    It lasted till 1979 when the Irish decoupled from it having got cheesed off with our constant Sterling crises of the 70's and before I shouldn't wonder.

Another analogy to Ireland (and the SNP might've answered this to be fair I just don't know the answer), who actually gets citizenship in a newly minted Scotland? I think the Irish Free State made it anyone born anywhere in Ireland or who had a parent or grandparent who was plus anyone who'd been living there for the seven years previous. (Doubtless someone has the excat facts). What are the SNP proposing?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

EVEL needs resolving - prior to 2015.
    Will never happen till those seats don't exist. Ed Mili won't want it and it simply won't be on Cameron's agenda.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

No, it doesn't just say that the conditions would be right for one in the future. It says, historically, the last 300 years of the monetary union have been successful.

Not in the bit SeanT quoted which, as I said, is the only bit of it I read and was commenting on.
  • Options

Socrates said:

They're the same.

There's also the short surface stretch between Dagenham and past Rainham, HS2 is right next to the former LTS line.
    Ooops, forgot about that; I'm not as familiar with the route of what was rather confusingly called HS2, which is now HS1. But the basic premise still follows.

It's like the idiots who think Osborne somehow intervened to get HS2 out of his constituency. There are scores of people working on the planning, and their guidelines are rather strict. The days of The Dukes of Devonshire and Rutland altering the course of a railway to avoid their land are long gone.
  • Options

politicshomeuk Asked if he would accept that unprotected departments face 5-6% further cuts, Danny Alexander says "broadly speaking, yes I would" #wato

Hes a good egg is Danny, he'd get my vote if I lived in his seat.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "It's beginning increasingly clear that the SNP don't understand that the word 'independence' means you become a separate country."

Another Nabavi classic. The reality is that Tory posters on this forum had convinced themselves for years that the SNP didn't really want independence, and were after Devo Max instead. The gradual realisation that the SNP are, indeed, a pro-independence party seems to be causing some discombobulation.

I would also caution posters from south of the border against assuming that because the London media only ever mention the subject of independence when they have some kind of 'process' question which they reckon is "yet another setback for the SNP" (yawn), that this means that 'process' is what the SNP spend their time talking about. It isn't.
  • Options
    tim said:

UKIP didn't support HS2.

Now Richard Tyndall is back we have some hope of someone actually understanding UKIP policies.

What's their position on the EEA and free movement of workers Richard?

I am not sure I am the best person to elucidate UKIP's policies as I disagree with plenty of them and don't think they are clear on plenty more of them. I support them as the "best of a bad lot" and of course because of their position on EU withdrawal.

On free movement they claim they are currently updating their policy on immigration etc. They are clear on non EU immigration which is a 5 year freeze as far as permanent settlement is concerned. On EU immigration they seem to be up in the air. They know what they would like to do but don't seem to have the confidence to be explicit. So the only principle they have outlined so far has been that any EU citizens living in the UK for more than 7 years would be allowed to apply for leave to remain permanently. I assume that means that anyone with less than that time here would lose any right to stay and no new migration would be allowed. To me this seems to rule out any EEA membership. Again they do not make this explicit.

Politicians, dontcha love em. :-)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Lets see how many labour supporters who have been having a go at the Cameron and the coalition over they touth talk on immigration/Romania,Bulgaria free movement of people from the EU have anything to say on what Bryant as said.

He's either a moron or a pandering sleazebag. Probably the second one. People who run hotels should hire the best person for the job.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Thanks Socrates.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    welshowl said:

Socrates said:

It lasted till 1979 when the Irish decoupled from it having got cheesed off with our constant Sterling crises of the 70's and before I shouldn't wonder.
    As with any currency peg, it meant that it lost control of its monetary policy, and couldn't either stimulate its economy during recessions, nor control inflation. When it finally broke the peg it was one of the poorest countries in Western Europe.

• Options
    Mr. Kelly, if the SNP want an independent country why don't they want an independent currency?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Ireland had the pound for about 50 years as an indepenndent country. Isle of man, not in the EU by the way, Jersey, Gibraltar and Falklands all use sterling. At times Roger you forget the basic facts and come up with spew.

Are you arguing that Scotland should use the pound, but not be backed by the BoE - as is the case in the IoM?
    I would prefer shaking hands and doing a deal, but London has a bad track record on splitting amicably. I think that short term having no say on the UK pound is acceptable. Maybe pegged at 1:1 as happened in Ireland. assuming the UK currency does better in terms of stability than 40 years ago.

• Options
    antifrank said:

The Scottish nationalists need to get off the process questions. They will never win a referendum on the basis of the precise transitional arrangements. They're getting bogged down.

Oh gosh: You're trying to be rational! Just use your fingers to count to six (or a dozen; whatever preference)....

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Socrates said:

They're the same.

There's also the short surface stretch between Dagenham and past Rainham, HS1 is right next to the former LTS line.
    Ooops, forgot about that; I'm not as familiar with the route of what was rather confusingly called HS2, which is now HS1. But the basic premise still follows.

It's like the idiots who think Osborne somehow intervened to get HS2 out of his constituency. There are scores of people working on the planning, and their guidelines are rather strict. The days of The Dukes of Devonshire and Rutland altering the course of a railway to avoid their land are long gone.
    Ooops I meant HS1 at Rainham!!! (original post edited!)
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Mr. Kelly, if the SNP want an independent country why don't they want an independent currency?"

Because a separate currency is not an essential feature of an independent country. Ask the President of France, or the Chancellor of Germany.
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. I can hardly see option 1 being possible as it would leave Scotland almost entirely at the mercy of the rUK when it comes to economic and monetary policy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

He's either a moron or a pandering sleazebag. Probably the second one. People who run hotels should hire the best person for the job.
    Are those mutually exclusive conditions?

I would go with both.
This discussion has been closed.