Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the DUP prepare to back CON on the Queen’s speech here’s th

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

GeoffM said:

The main reason I supported the original reduction in seats - to screw the LibDems into the dirt - has largely gone away now. So I'm really quite 'meh' on the whole thing.

That's a pretty terrible reason for supporting it - but credit for honesty.
    You are evidently new to PB.

Geoff is PB's answer to Shameless.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

My guess is that the Government will say oh, let's leave it at 650 after all, please have another think Boundary Commission =>kicks it into the next Parliament. There will be a minor fuss, over in 24 hours.

Amused to see today's mess - they can't decide if they're lifting the 1% cap or not. Do Ministers talk to each other at all?

God forbid the government actually reflect on the impact of a major policy change to public spending, rather than reflexively changing policy to please an opposition that has no sense of financial responsibility whatsoever.
    When the PM's spokesperson says one thing, then the Treasury says another, do you count that as "reflecting"? I agree that they haven't reflexively changed policy to please the opposition, rather that they've changed policy twice in one day to please themselves.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/880084619630190596
    Your government left this country with a structural deficit after more than a decade of continuous growth. You and your party don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the public finances.

Then again, why would you care? Every borrowing overshoot is yet another excuse to increase taxation.
    If only we'd had competitive politics throughout the late 90s and most of the 2000s...

A Tory party led on Ken Clarke lines, including on Europe, would have seen this country achieve a truly enviable position by now, instead of the utter chaos and humiliation we're facing thanks to Brexit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

My guess is that the Government will say oh, let's leave it at 650 after all, please have another think Boundary Commission =>kicks it into the next Parliament. There will be a minor fuss, over in 24 hours.

Amused to see today's mess - they can't decide if they're lifting the 1% cap or not. Do Ministers talk to each other at all?

God forbid the government actually reflect on the impact of a major policy change to public spending, rather than reflexively changing policy to please an opposition that has no sense of financial responsibility whatsoever.
    When the PM's spokesperson says one thing, then the Treasury says another, do you count that as "reflecting"? I agree that they haven't reflexively changed policy to please the opposition, rather that they've changed policy twice in one day to please themselves.

Your government left this country with a structural deficit after more than a decade of continuous growth. You and your party don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the public finances.

Then again, why would you care? Every borrowing overshoot is yet another excuse to increase taxation.
    If only we'd had competitive politics throughout the late 90s and most of the 2000s...

A Tory party led on Ken Clarke lines, including on Europe, would have seen this country achieve a truly enviable position by now, instead of the utter chaos and humiliation we're facing thanks to Brexit.
    I wouldn't call being in the Euro an enviable position.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If we'd had Clarke's fiscal discipline we would have had more in common with Germany than with Greece. Do you think good long-term governance is beyond our reach?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    RobD said:

felix said:

felix said:

Donald Trump is to visit Paris for Bastille Day.

Announced yesterday - still waiting to hear the howls of outrage from the Liberal left.
    Am I "Liberal Left"? Maybe so - I certainly find the Conservatives too right wing for my tastes these days and Comrade Corbyn is best avoided.

In any case - I could not care less where Trump goes as long as he does not come here.
    Ah - the ultimate cop out -if Macron isn't a Liberal democrat wtf is he?
    I do not know. I have no interest in French politics. I know he won the election and that he is younger than his wife but that is more or less my entire knowledge of the man.
    Macron is a Blairite. The similarities - personal as well as political - are extraordinary.
    Thank you Peter - but poor France.... a Blairite. Oh dear!
    Macron is a Tory? Hm... maybe he's not all that bad. :D
    Pourquoi n'êtes-vous pas allé rejoindre les Tories, Emmanuel? [blame google]
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Quite.

And if it hadn't been for Brexit we would probably still be in that position, or maybe better. The only downside would have been the persistent grumbling from europhobes. But Brexit not only destabilised the Government but has now led to a Hung Parliament and every prospect that the next Government will be the most left-wing since WW2.

As a Tory Remainer you must find this deeply regrettable, Richard, but imagine if you were a Tory Leaver. You not only have the horror of what has happened to contend with but you know that in some small measure, you were responsible.

TLs need to be put on suicide watch.

I have been regularly asking Leavers on pb whether they would now prefer Britain out of the EU and Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister or Britain still in the EU with David Cameron as Prime Minister. So far they are sticking to their preference for Brexit, even with Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister. But we'll see whether this line holds indefinitely.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

What's a structural deficit? Is it better or worse than a simple deficit?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Worse, as it implies it is long term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deficit_spending#Structural_deficit
  • Options
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Well I suppose being outside the Euro does enable us to protect our economy by continually devaluing until the £ has parity with the Lek. That would be some consolation I suppose for having an economy that also resembles Albania in every other important respect.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

But that article says that some economists think that structural deficits are harmless?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    PClipp said:

The fact that it takes a year or two to work through, as somebody mentioned this afternoon, means that all the good things can be attributed to the influence of the Lib Dems. It does take while for the PB Tories to cotton on.

There is some truth in that - the LibDems, especially Danny Alexander, took a very responsible view on the deficit when they were in coalition, and therefore played an important role in the economic recovery. They deserve credit for it (and should have claimed credit, as I've said before).
  • Options

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Well I suppose being outside the Euro does enable us to protect our economy by continually devaluing until the £ has parity with the Lek. That would be some consolation I suppose for having an economy that also resembles Albania in every other important respect.
    Probably overstating your case somewhat.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I assume this has been discussed?

Ed Balls gives Radiohead at Glastonbury 2017 a big thumbs down. There goes five votes...

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a831756/ed-balls-pans-radiohead-at-glastonbury-2017/

A John Peel for the 21st century (minus underage wife of course).
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Probably overstating your case somewhat.
    I hope so, but compared with many here I'm an optimist. There are those that think Venezuela is a more likely destination than Albania.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A structural deficit is a budget deficit based on a fundamental imbalance in government receipts and expenditures

What you call a "simple" deficit is a cyclical occurrence caused by circumstances/actions which arise from time to time.

[ducks and runs from rcs who will both educate and crucify us all at the same time on this]
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Meeks, that's a ridiculous false choice.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

But that article says that some economists think that structural deficits are harmless?
    A structural deficit of £10bn/year is far worse for the public finances than a cyclical deficit of £10bn/year.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

I think that alittle unfair. Albania has improving economic prospects :smiley:
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

felix said:

Announced yesterday - still waiting to hear the howls of outrage from the Liberal left.
    Am I "Liberal Left"? Maybe so - I certainly find the Conservatives too right wing for my tastes these days and Comrade Corbyn is best avoided.

In any case - I could not care less where Trump goes as long as he does not come here.
    +1.
  • Options

I'll put it another way, if Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister as a consequence of the decision to leave the EU (as seems very possible right now), will Leavers consider that a price worth paying?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A structural deficit is a budget deficit based on a fundamental imbalance in government receipts and expenditures

What you call a "simple" deficit is a cyclical occurrence caused by circumstances/actions which arise from time to time.

[ducks and runs from rcs who will both educate and crucify us all at the same time on this]
    So it is a question of timescale then?
  • Options

felix said:

+1.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    I feel for the poor sods working in the Boundaries Commission.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Geoff, will you please give us fair warning when you are going to post something sensible. I nearly choked on my croissant.
  • Options

Geoff, will you please give us fair warning when you are going to post something sensible. I nearly choked on my croissant.

LOL at that back-handed compliment though....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited June 2017
    Not just the DUP will be unhappy with these boundary change proposals, the Tories and Labour and SNP would lose seats, the LDs would lose almost half their seats, Plaid would lose 3/4 of their seats and the Greens would lose their only MP. I cannot see them getting through, the only party which would benefit would be Sinn Fein but they do not even take their seats in the Commons anyway
  • Options

I'll put it another way, if Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister as a consequence of the decision to leave the EU (as seems very possible right now), will Leavers consider that a price worth paying?
    Part of taking back control is regaining the sovereignty to self-harm.

I want this country to be able to make its own mind up without being dictated to by a foreign power.

If the country votes, democratically for someone I don't like then that's the will of the people expressed through the ballot box. We must be free to make our own mistakes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not just the DUP will be unhappy with these boundary change proposals, the Tories and Labour and SNP would lose seats, Plaid would lose 3/4 of their seats and the Greens would lose their only MP.I cannot see them getting through, the only party which would benefit would be Sinn Fein but they do not even take their seats in the Commons anyway

There is the legitimate argument that 650 MPs should be kept due to the increased workload after leaving the EU (all those laws/regulations that were just left for Brussels). I could be convinced either way on that. What is definitely required is that new boundaries are drawn, whatever the number of seats.
  • Options

Quite.

And if it hadn't been for Brexit we would probably still be in that position, or maybe better. The only downside would have been the persistent grumbling from europhobes. But Brexit not only destabilised the Government but has now led to a Hung Parliament and every prospect that the next Government will be the most left-wing since WW2.

As a Tory Remainer you must find this deeply regrettable, Richard, but imagine if you were a Tory Leaver. You not only have the horror of what has happened to contend with but you know that in some small measure, you were responsible.

I have been regularly asking Leavers on pb whether they would now prefer Britain out of the EU and Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister or Britain still in the EU with David Cameron as Prime Minister. So far they are sticking to their preference for Brexit, even with Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister. But we'll see whether this line holds indefinitely.
    I know you won't accept this as an answer, but mine would be David Cameron as PM with Britain out of the EU. What you're really looking for is a bit of Bregret from me, but I don't have any, and I don't see a link: Jeremy Corbyn was elected as Labour leader well before we voted to Leave and I think his election surge was largely based on anti-austerity and a dire Tory campaign.

Osborne could easily have lost to him in GE2020 in a Remain scenario, and we'd only have had another 18-24 months of Cameron. But I'd be perfectly happy if Cameron came back as PM in future once we've left (he won't of course).

Can Corbyn do more damage as PM outside the EU than in? Probably, yes. But if that's what we vote for then that is what we'll get.

He won't be in power forever.
  • Options
    I realise I've led a sheltered life, but why would a sex shop sell a Samurai sword?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

It's [checks calendar] late June now.

Relax - now you're safe for another few months.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I think the CPS have made a mistake prosecuting the former club secretary of SWFC. They should have gone for the Football Association.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Part of taking back control is regaining the sovereignty to self-harm.

I want this country to be able to make its own mind up without being dictated to by a foreign power.

If the country votes, democratically for someone I don't like then that's the will of the people expressed through the ballot box. We must be free to make our own mistakes.
    Britain has always been free to make its own mistakes. That was how it got to vote for Brexit off the back of a xenophobic campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

rcs1000 said:

Not unless there's significant changes to the NI proposals after public consultation is completed. As they stand, the proposed NI boundaries are simply appalling for Unionism.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the approximate unionist / nationalist split in Northern Ireland?
    There's a Unionist plurality (though no longer a majority). But it's not huge.

What is clearly the case is that those born into shall we say a Nationalist background are entering the voting demographic at a faster rate than those from without.

The total Unionist vote share has fallen below 50 per cent and I contend is unlikely to ever get back there (if it did, it would be temporarily because Alliance falls away).

Unionism needs to appeal beyond it's core to deliver Northern Ireland through and beyond 2030.

I don't think it can while it remains dominated by the DUP. But that's a story for another thread (or a speech/platform).

I should not be too pessimistic. In 1997, the Nationalist vote share was 40.2%. In 2010 it was 42%. In 2017, it was 41.1%. The Unionist vote share was 50.4%, 50.5%, and 49.5%. That seems pretty stable to me.
  • Options

If Corbyn becomes PM it will be on an anti austerity ticket and austerity was underway well before Brexit
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Good Evening.

I have to say, I didn't know so many of our Conservative friends/PB Righties were so interested in the opinions of the Liberal Left :) As someone who considers herself a liberal leftie, I believe it's up to France to decide who it wants to invite onto its shores. I'm still a Macron fan (certainly he reflects my beliefs more than Corbyn does). As Beverley_C has said, I'm just simply glad Trump won't be coming here - at least for now.

Meanwhile, what is going on with the government and their stance on the public sector pay cap? I thought they were going to move away from that policy - it looks like they've now changed their minds (again)?
  • Options

Quite.

I know you won't accept this as an answer, but mine would be David Cameron as PM with Britain out of the EU. What you're really looking for is a bit of Bregret from me, but I don't have any, and I don't see a link: Jeremy Corbyn was elected as Labour leader well before we voted to Leave and I think his election surge was largely based on anti-austerity and a dire Tory campaign.

Osborne could easily have lost to him in GE2020 in a Remain scenario, and we'd only have had another 18-24 months of Cameron. But I'd be perfectly happy if Cameron came back as PM in future once we've left (he won't of course).

Can Corbyn do more damage as PM outside the EU than in? Probably, yes. But if that's what we vote for then that is what we'll get.

Of course there's a link. You're just finding out that your version of crazy has been outbid by a rival offering.
  • Options

Some will. But many (like the esteemed Casino Royale of this parish) will walk around like the figure in Munch's The Scream, moaning what the f*ck have I done?
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, that's a disturbing story.

Why are sex shops selling swords?

Mr. Royale, on the other hand, plenty of work to do and no consequences because it keeps getting ditched. Swings and roundabouts.

Mr. Meeks, tosh.

If I go job hunting and get hit by a car whilst crossing the road, that doesn't make it wrong to go job hunting. Furthermore, even if I hadn't been job hunting, I might get hit by a car when I'm just out and about.
  • Options

A related question from me.

If we Brexit and then go back into the EU a few years later along with signing up for the Euro and losing our opt-outs, would you think Brexit was worth a try to see if it would work, or do you think we'd have been better off voting for Dave's Deal?
  • Options
    Good evening, Ms. Apocalypse.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A Clarke premiership in 2005 may have imposed the transition controls on migration from Eastern Europe Blair failed to impose which would probably have stopped a future Brexit vote
  • Options

I realise I've led a sheltered life, but why would a sex shop sell a Samurai sword?

Some people have an amputee fetish.
  • Options
    I assume - not that I have ever frequented a sex shop - that the samurai sword might be part of what one might term an outfit.
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks - if the people want Jezza to be PM that's fine with me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A Clarke premiership in 2005 may have imposed the transition controls on migration from Eastern Europe Blair failed to impose which would probably have stopped a future Brexit vote
    Clarke was simply the stand out politican of the period.
  • Options

If we Brexit and then go back into the EU a few years later along with signing up for the Euro and losing our opt-outs, would you think Brexit was worth a try to see if it would work, or do you think we'd have been better off voting for Dave's Deal?
    One thing is for certain, even if we did rejoin the EU we would never join the Euro
  • Options
    The Conservative Party would never elect Ken Clarke as leader. That they voted for IDS over him says everything.
  • Options
    Anyway enough of this frivolity.

Cook and Browne have just put on a record opening stand of 318 for Essex against County Champions Middlesex. Cook has been in sensational form for Essex this year. It augurs well for the Test matches.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Clarke had been elected Tory leader in 1997 and won in 2001 the UK would not have joined the Iraq War, if Clarke had been elected Tory leader in 2001 (I voted for him then over IDS) he would have imposed transition controls and there would have been no Brexit. He would have run a very similar government to Blair while avoiding his two biggest mistakes
  • Options

The Conservative Party would never elect Ken Clarke as leader. That they voted for IDS over him says everything.

He ballsed it up himself with his deal with Redwood.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

One thing is for certain, even if we did rejoin the EU we would never join the Euro

Countries joining the EU don't have a choice iirc.

• Options
    On topic, I don't wonder what the DUP would do. I know what they'd do.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,825
    The review is dead, alas, as despite flaws they do need updating.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited June 2017
    Regarding the Samurai Sword, I guess you lot have never heard of cosplay?

If you do a google image search of 'cosplay' you might get an idea.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, yeah, but it's not a HEMA shop, so you'd expect it to be more LARPy.

[HEMA is medieval martial arts, LARP is live action role-playing. I don't do either but have a vague awareness of both].
  • Options

We'd have been better off with Dave achieving reform of the EU, and our relationship with it, as he outlined in his Bloomberg speech. He didn't, and perhaps never could, so we took the nuclear option: we're leaving.

I think it will turn out fine, and I don't regret it, but, if what you say comes to pass, and people vote for it, then I will have to try and live with it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That was in 1997, IDS was 2001.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

I see Croatia still hasn't joined the Euro.
  • Options

They would if he took his europhilia off the table for good.

Too many Tories fear he's another Heath in disguise, and won't make that mistake again.
  • Options

RobD said:

That was in 1997, IDS was 2001.
    Yeah, both were times he wasn't elected by the Tory party :p
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

felix said:

felix said:

I do not know. I have no interest in French politics. I know he won the election and that he is younger than his wife but that is more or less my entire knowledge of the man.
    Macron is a Blairite. The similarities - personal as well as political - are extraordinary.
    Surement les Blairites ne sont pas des Tories?
  • Options

Thanks. I can't say I'm much the wiser.
  • Options

Anorak said:

RobD said:

felix said:

felix said:

Surement les Blairites ne sont pas des Tories?
    You're having a laugh, surely? :D
  • Options

Quite.

Of course there's a link. You're just finding out that your version of crazy has been outbid by a rival offering.
    I don't think Leaving the EU is crazy.

I think joining it and signing up to Maastricht and Lisbon was. It becomes ever clearer to me we should have just stayed in and developed EFTA the whole time.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

One thing not often noted is the extra work. Larger constituencies = 8.33% more constituents. Would you take on 8% more patients/pupils/clients/contracts/hours for the same amount? I wouldn't, and I doubt whether MP's will either.

Salaries would rise by at least that 8%, though? And if the admin budget remained the same or rose slightly there would be more money per MP for secretarial and back office work.

MPs are grossly underpaid now and the PM doubly so .... ever since the Sainted Margaret decided that it was too politically difficult to allow them a reasonable salary but they could make up the difference in expenses. A settlement which outlasted her but not the efforts of the Telegraph.
    +1
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I doubt many on this site have heard of cosplay tbh.
  • Options

*** Doing this at your desk may not enhance your career prospects ***
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Cosplay = Costume Play

The practice of dressing up as a character from a film, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga or anime.
  • Options

They would if he took his europhilia off the table for good.

Too many Tories fear he's another Heath in disguise, and won't make that mistake again.
    No-one could accuse Ken Clarke of disguising his views on Europe.

As for the comment on Heath, he was completely in tune with the party at the time and was only implementing the policy adopted by Macmillan and voted for by successive parliaments.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    2years 0%, 5 years 1|% pay awards for all PB Tories I think see how loud they squeal in 7 years time!!
  • Options

That's so sad.
  • Options

This PB Tory has. I thought whips would have been a more appropriate item, given the establishment.
  • Options

Cosplay = Costume Play

The practice of dressing up as a character from a film, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga or anime.
    Yeah, but what's the sex bit, if that's not a question which shouldn't be answered on a respectable website?
  • Options

Cosplay = Costume Play

Presumably, some people fantasise about sex with famous historical figures.
  • Options

Cosplay = Costume Play

Yeah, but what's the sex bit, if that's not a question which shouldn't be answered on a respectable website?
    This is answer that's only get me into trouble.
  • Options

2years 0%, 5 years 1|% pay awards for all PB Tories I think see how loud they squeal in 7 years time!!

On the plus side they do benefit from the reductions in tax.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cosplay = Costume Play

Presumably, some people fantasise about sex with famous historical figures.
    Yeah.

I mean I believe so.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic etc joined the EU after the Euro was launched and are still not members of it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Clarke had been elected Tory leader in 1997 and won in 2001 the UK would not have joined the Iraq War, if Clarke had been elected Tory leader in 2001 (I voted for him then over IDS) he would have imposed transition controls and there would have been no Brexit. He would have run a very similar government to Blair while avoiding his two biggest mistakes
    That's perfectly possible.

The Iraq war is a tricky one. The Conservative Party was even more supportive of it than Labour, but I suspect Clarke would have been too shrewd to march lock step with Bush in the way Blair did. Remember that Wilson was able to keep us out of the Vietnam war without wrecking 'the special relationship', so I reckon Clarke could have managed something similar.

The rest I give you without hesitation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Anyway enough of this frivolity.

Cook and Browne have just put on a record opening stand of 318 for Essex against County Champions Middlesex. Cook has been in sensational form for Essex this year. It augurs well for the Test matches.

We. Are. Top of the league!
  • Options

I think joining it and signing up to Maastricht and Lisbon was. It becomes ever clearer to me we should have just stayed in and developed EFTA the whole time.
    And that's the problem. You refuse to recognise that once you persuade the public to take a leap in the dark, they're going to carry on being much more open to other leaps in the dark. Lunacy begets lunacy.

As I wrote in a thread header a while back, I expect this to be the start of a longterm downward spiral, with nutjobs of left and right each blaming the other for the crises that they will be jointly creating.
  • Options
    Anyway, it sounds like something which doesn't happen in Sussex, except in Brighton of course.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Cosplay = Costume Play

but why would you want your partner to look like George Osborne ?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's not normal for cosplayers to actually have real weapons, surely?
  • Options

Anyway, it sounds like something which doesn't happen in Sussex, except in Brighton of course.

Mandatory in Brighton.

There's a lot of dressing up as Romans going on there.

I blame Spartacus, the TV show that is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Clarke had been elected Tory leader in 1997 and won in 2001 mistakes
    That's perfectly possible.

The Iraq war is a tricky one. The Conservative Party was even more supportive of it than Labour, but I suspect Clarke would have been too shrewd to march lock step with Bush in the way Blair did. Remember that Wilson was able to keep us out of the Vietnam war without wrecking 'the special relationship', so I reckon Clarke could have managed something similar.

The rest I give you without hesitation.
    Yes he would have done a Wilson LBJ with Bush but of course this is all hypothetical but for a few hanging chads in Florida it would have been President Gore and there would have been no Iraq War in the first place
  • Options

Cosplay = Costume Play

The sex bit is if you fantasise about sex with Togukawa Ieyashu. Presumably, if you fantasised about sex with Caesar, your partner would dress up as a Roman.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Only a matter of time. All they need to do is fudge the criteria a little bit further.

Have you been there recently? I was there earlier in the year and I'm going back next month on business. I'll only bother packing Euros in my wallet. Just about everything is priced and paid in euros - and it was even before they joined the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

This PB Tory has. I thought whips would have been a more appropriate item, given the establishment.
    :lol:

Not all their customers may be into BDSM.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, it's not normal for cosplayers to actually have real weapons, surely?

Same reason why a lot of men who use dominatrixes want the women to use real whips/inflict real pain.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Not unless there's significant changes to the NI proposals after public consultation is completed. As they stand, the proposed NI boundaries are simply appalling for Unionism.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the approximate unionist / nationalist split in Northern Ireland?

What is clearly the case is that those born into shall we say a Nationalist background are entering the voting demographic at a faster rate than those from without.

The total Unionist vote share has fallen below 50 per cent and I contend is unlikely to ever get back there (if it did, it would be temporarily because Alliance falls away).

Unionism needs to appeal beyond it's core to deliver Northern Ireland through and beyond 2030.

I don't think it can while it remains dominated by the DUP. But that's a story for another thread (or a speech/platform).

I should not be too pessimistic. In 1997, the Nationalist vote share was 40.2%. In 2010 it was 42%. In 2017, it was 41.1%. The Unionist vote share was 50.4%, 50.5%, and 49.5%. That seems pretty stable to me.
    The future of the island of Ireland is as a unified, secular nonsectarian state. Northern Ireland is a geopolitical absurdity, born of a fractional and ever diminishing majority and ramped up by a handful of bigoted reactionaries. They are swimming against a demographic tide, thankfully.
  • Options

Cosplay = Costume Play

but why would you want your partner to look like George Osborne ?
    Louise!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited June 2017

And that's the problem. You refuse to recognise that once you persuade the public to take a leap in the dark, they're going to carry on being much more open to other leaps in the dark. Lunacy begets lunacy.

As I wrote in a thread header a while back, I expect this to be the start of a longterm downward spiral, with nutjobs of left and right each blaming the other for the crises that they will be jointly creating.
    Nice to see you absolve the federalists for pushing down a path no-one was ready to go down

Voters making their presence felt is simply the by product of politicians following their own personal agendas
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Scott_P said:
    Bets on the return of Salmond to lead the SNP to an Independent Scotland. Kevin Pringle returning as the Minion, and Mr and Mrs Murrell leaving for their retiral home in Portugal.....
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

tlg86 said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Only a matter of time. All they need to do is fudge the criteria a little bit further.

Have you been there recently? I was there earlier in the year and I'm going back next month on business. I'll only bother packing Euros in my wallet. Just about everything is priced and paid in euros - and it was even before they joined the EU.
    I visited Zagreb in September 2015. I took Kunas, but things might have changed since then.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

https://www.facebook.com/JBCosphoto/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited June 2017

Being part of the EU and ruled by Blair/Cameron led to one half of the nations poor being undercut by millions of migrants, and the other half living in abject poverty to be able to afford to undercut them. The two groups had to fight over jobs, housing and state resources while the winners from their misfortunes, rich business owners and politicians, citizens of nowhere you might say, who didn't care how the money was made, looked on from afar, occasionally stirring the pot.

Now they have noticed... this town needed an enema!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DUP + UUP + Ind Unionist + NI Cons + TUV = 50.7% at GE2017.
    With UKIP was 50.6 GE2015.
    The Commons Library reports 398,921 votes for the five unionists' groups in its preliminary results, whereas the NI total was 812,183. That's just over 49 per cent. 41 per cent for republican and nationalist parties. 1 per cent for small left-wing parties overwhelmingly backed by Catholics. 9 per cent for other cross-community parties, historically strongly pro-union with GB, but becoming more mixed over time. (EDIT: I would guess 2:1 to 3:1 pro-union based on Assembly transfers.)
This discussion has been closed.