Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next LAB leader betting price on Yvette Cooper starts to ea

13»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Like BT did as the GPO or British Airways?

When there's an overwhelming player paid for by a compulsory tax who tells its viewers its FAB and The Envy of World - well that's the definition of self-fulfilling propaganda for me.

I'd choose to watch Sky and ITV in preference as free to air news and current affairs myself.
    JackW said:

JackW said:

If we were starting from scratch then the Beeb and it's poll tax wouldn't be an option but we we're not.

It might not be a popular view on PB but I think we have the best of all situations and broadly should remain as is.

1. BBC for all. It's flabby - I'd freeze the license fee for 5 years.
    2. ITV, C4 and C5 and others - Adverts free to air for all
    3 Sky and Cable TV - Ensure competition is vigorous.

It is difficult to justify a blanket tax though which is not means tested and which supports one organisation to the detriment of others. There is almost no accountability in the BBC. Of course lefties like the current setup but it is more redolent of Stalinist regimes than open democracy.

Licence by the way: two c's, to be pedantic.
    Firstly a warm welcome .... with one c.

Our broadcasting platforms and their revenue streams are a curious British operation but I contend they work.

The Beeb requires reform but for all its' faults remains a hugely respected media outlet with approval numbers that similar organizations would die for.

So two cheers for dear old Aunty warts and all.

• Options
    You know I love you, but Eh? Euthanasia? The BBC can survive I presume on a different funding model just like many other companies have done over the last 100yrs or so as things change.

It's not BBC with Telly Tax or No BBC At All. That's like arguing that the UK can't survive without the EU. It's silly.
    JackW said:

JamesM said:

@JackW

I must admit I am sympathetic to your views here Jack. I can't say I get particularly wound up about the licence fee. Yes, the BBC frustrates me at time with its news coverage and here other media, the public and even politicians have the right to highlight this to ensure the BBC keep reflecting on and improving objectivity, but broadly speaking as an institution it delivers enough TV and radio programming that I appreciate and its news keeps me informed.

I do think it can do more to become more efficient and I wonder if its expanded a little too far in terms of the number of TV channels and radio stations, but I am not convinced this should mean the end of the licence fee. One area where its reach does need to be looked at is in local media though. I do think there could be scope to at least remove a proportion of the fee to other public service broadcasters, perhaps with a regional focus, allowing an open competition for a percentage of the fee as a whole.

Good points.

The Beeb requires modest surgery not euthanasia.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

The other side of this argument is that like Europe the more the Tories bang on about the BBC the more unhinged they are likely to appear.
    Warms up a few of their activists and the Tea Partiers on here, but looks a really weird set of priorities to normal people

It is not a priority. Another misrepresentation by you there Tim. Are you going for a record today?

It is a side issue which is suitable for debate on a site that is supposed to be about debating such issues.

Local roads are paid for by local taxes, not sure I can top that for idiocy today.

It's a sign of an unhinged Tea Party-like core that some on here are utterly obsessed as Carola predicted last night.

Living wage vs BBC, it's no contest for those who damage the atories as the area Party damage the GOP
    So not answering the point I made at all Tim. Yep definitely going for gold today aren't you.

Unlike you most people on here are actually able to walk and chew gum at the same time. It is one reason your deflection techniques always fall flat when an issue comes up you don't like. We are able to discuss a range of issues simultaneously both important and minor.

Apart from smears and misrepresentations, do you actually make any postings of any substance on here Tim?

• Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    @DavidL

The US model is not one I am familiar with, but it sounds interesting. Of course we should separate the principle of public broadcasting with its funding model, but I think that if in the first instance would could consider the freeze/voluntary fund raising proposal you highlight, and consider diversifying public broadcast providers by allocating say, 10% of the licence fee to a series of regional/local radio and TV stations then things would be even better. Coupled with additional transparency from the BBC and I think we would taking a step forward.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited November 2013
    Yvette for Leader ot Oppo - mainly for importance in the lefties actually having a female leader for the first time (Harriet's temp role doesn't count).... and completely unlinked to this cos my shed is on her still with bookie uncertain it's been so long...
  • Options

tim said:

Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 4m
    Labour's energy prize freeze still plaguing Tories 6 weeks after it was announced. Quite a feat, whatever you think of policy #Murnaghan

It's the Tories' basic problem blown up big. They've got three conflicting brands, and they can't figure out which to run on:
    1) Heir to Blair. The voters like the price freeze, so we do too!
    2) Reluctant austerity. We know it hurts, but it's Labour's fault.
    3) Free-market straight-talker. If it sounds good to be true that you can just legislate away price increases, that's because it is. Suck it up.

Any of these would have been a perfectly decent response, but they need to pick one...
    Agree with that, although also think it may have hit on a deeper problem for the Tories. Since the banking crisis much of the talk was whether politics has shifted left or right, but it might have been both; to the right on public spending but left on government intervention as having seen government intervene on a grand scale during the crisis people don't accept the third explanation so readily. Can't do 3.) as the public (or the 20% who the Tories are looking to appeal to outside their core support) would hate it. 1.) comes across as insincere if you don't actually do anything, which if there's no money to mitigate things has to be a form of intervention, and 2.) Doesn't really work on most issues this far into a parliament. Even if you think Ed Miliband could've done more when he was energy secretary and don't like green taxes it's farcical to blame him and accuse him of not addressing the issue when you've had 3 years to address it yourself.

The unanswered question for both parties about austerity is how do we stop bad trends the public find unacceptable from happening in the future without throwing money at the problem, at some point 'it's Labour's fault there is none so they should shut up' ceases to become a convincing Conservative one and they need their own offer to counter what is likely to be Miliband's of self-imposed spending restraint plus greater market intervention.
  • Options
    Most popular bet on oddschecker...

Everton to win v Spurs...

Come on the underdogs!!!
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

BBC plus green levies* = £5 per week per household.
    The crazed ideologues are obsessing about £5 per week while wages fall behind prices by double that and Osborne stokes house price inflation by 30 times that per week.

*And half of that is insulation schemes which only a madman would cut

£5 per week is equivalent to 20% of my dual fuel bill - which is not peanuts.

So if you leave out the TV tax - green tax is 10% of my fuel bill - still not peanuts.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

The other side of this argument is that like Europe the more the Tories bang on about the BBC the more unhinged they are likely to appear.
    Warms up a few of their activists and the Tea Partiers on here, but looks a really weird set of priorities to normal people

It is not a priority. Another misrepresentation by you there Tim. Are you going for a record today?

It is a side issue which is suitable for debate on a site that is supposed to be about debating such issues.

Local roads are paid for by local taxes, not sure I can top that for idiocy today.

It's a sign of an unhinged Tea Party-like core that some on here are utterly obsessed as Carola predicted last night.

Living wage vs BBC, it's no contest for those who damage the atories as the area Party damage the GOP
    So not answering the point I made at all Tim. Yep definitely going for gold today aren't you.

Unlike you most people on here are actually able to walk and chew gum at the same time. It is one reason your deflection techniques always fall flat when an issue comes up you don't like. We are able to discuss a range of issues simultaneously both important and minor.

Apart from smears and misrepresentations, do you actually make any postings of any substance on here Tim?

The points you make on the BBC and the NHS are from the extreme fringes, that's fine you're a libertarian Kipper, a libertarian who wants to restrict people moving of course is always a misnomer.
    I'm more amused by the obsessive loons in the Tory Party who can't see the damage they do, even after watching the Tea Party/GOP fiasco.
    What point have I made today about the NHS beyond the fact that health is a core necessity - unlike the State entertainment service. It is you who tried unsuccessfully to draw the analogy between the two not I.

Of course it could be that you are following your normal technique of conflating arguments to try and mislead and misrepresent. Is that the case yet again here Tim?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    I'm not sure £5 a week is obsessing. That's a lot of money for some of us, especially pensioners. Caroline Flint came out with a similar comment last week that £120 on green taxes was peanuts. Well it isn't for many of us and it all adds up.

The licence fee is an anomaly and like all anomalies its abolition is not a question of 'if' but 'when'.

p.s. thank you for the welcomes.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Carola said:

Carola said:

I'm not interested in sport and if I want to see a film I'll have an outing to the cinema or wait until it's a fiver in HMV. Ditto buy or borrow boxed sets. A lot of stuff on the channels is filler garbage.

If you paid monthly for the BBC, plus wanted to watch sport etc... you could be shelling out a grand/1500 a year.

Agree - there's only so much time in the day & with Freesat/View more than enough to keep me entertained.....and then of course there is the cavalcade of wit & beauty on PB.com......

Not a lot of beauty this morning.
    many are on "half" the wit as well, your good self of course excluded, being one of my favourite posters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    DavidL said:

We urgently need a serious party of the left who are capable of original thinking about the huge social problems of the day.

What do we do about inequality? It is economically damaging and morally offensive.

How does the State help those in need best in a time of austerity?

How do we intergrate our society better and find an acceptable balance between multi-culturism and common purpose?

What do we do about the victims of our society, the drug addicts, the homeless, the mentally ill?

Tories do not have any monopoly of wisdom on these issues and too often for my taste they don't seem to care enough. I long for a Labour party that has something interesting to say.

Are you sure you haven't got one? I've been to serious discussions on nearly all these issues at the Labour conference and have seen articles by shadow Ministers resulting from them. But it's a cold day in Hell before one can get any reporting of any of it in the press. If you've been looking at Labour websites and don't like what you see, fair enough, but there is a lot of serious intent in these areas.

Its behind the paywall, but the Sun appears to be going after Ed Davey - Guido tweets "taxpayers pay Ed Davey's office rent to a company of which his wife is a director."......which might be a different order to Labour/Union, Conservative/Association rental deals which have been with us for ages.....

Hmm. not especially keen to help a LibDem MP, but If IPSA is doing its job, the rental will need to have been verified by an independent estate agent as being at the market rate, in which case I don't see much of a problem.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

BBC plus green levies* = £5 per week per household.
    The crazed ideologues are obsessing about £5 per week while wages fall behind prices by double that and Osborne stokes house price inflation by 30 times that per week.

*And half of that is insulation schemes which only a madman would cut

£5 per week is equivalent to 20% of my dual fuel bill - which is not peanuts.

So if you leave out the TV tax - green tax is 10% of my fuel bill - still not peanuts.

Good solution, replace the TV license with an extra 20% tax on fuel. Using energy is harmful, having a TV is neutral and sometimes beneficial.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Plato said:

I wonder if Plato has worked out her position is exactly the same as mine yet!!

What I find so delightful about your posts is your need to be superior by making another post patting yourself on the back, rather than addressing me directly.

It really doesn't make you look clever - just terribly smug. Oh - see what I just did there? Yes, I copied your style only you accuse me of being stupid.

It adds nothing to the debate.

You chose the word stupid, not me.

I did address you directly. You did not respond.

1. She may well have you on ignore
    2. When you do address her directly she will say you are "taking her name in vain"
    3. She's not worth it Sarf'am, leave 'er

• Options

DavidL said:

We urgently need a serious party of the left who are capable of original thinking about the huge social problems of the day.

What do we do about inequality? It is economically damaging and morally offensive.

How do we intergrate our society better and find an acceptable balance between multi-culturism and common purpose?

What do we do about the victims of our society, the drug addicts, the homeless, the mentally ill?

Tories do not have any monopoly of wisdom on these issues and too often for my taste they don't seem to care enough. I long for a Labour party that has something interesting to say.

Its behind the paywall, but the Sun appears to be going after Ed Davey - Guido tweets "taxpayers pay Ed Davey's office rent to a company of which his wife is a director."......which might be a different order to Labour/Union, Conservative/Association rental deals which have been with us for ages.....

Hmm. not especially keen to help a LibDem MP, but If IPSA is doing its job, the rental will need to have been verified by an independent estate agent as being at the market rate, in which case I don't see much of a problem.
    Yes, 'it was within the guidelines' worked so well as a defence on MPs expenses, didn't it?

The problem is it 'looks' like tax payers are subsidising political parties - MP pays rent to Union/local association, Union/Local Association donates to MP......and round and round the money goes, with added tax payer money.....Though where a company where the MP's wife is a director fits in this, goodness knows.....it might even be 'less bad' than the 'money-go-round' that Labour & Conservative MPs appear to use....

• Options

Welcome to pb.com, Miss Audreyanne.

Congrats on a thousand posts, Miss Carola.

Good day Morris, just finished Altmortis , very enjoyable. As I said before not my normal type of book but enjoyed it and always amazed at how someone pulls these things together.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Can someone explain to me what form of taxation this general taxation move is? Higher income tax rates? If the government was planning to do that, why, erm, reduce income tax in April? Or is it planning to increase income taxes at lower levels but keep the new 45p rate? Or what? Any ideas what this nebulous general taxation rise might be?

(Cue The Obsessed raising my household income yet again)
  • Options
    If @andrea is about - is this true? From a ST comment

"Up till march this year Unite had in place 85 candidates as prospective MP`s."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    Bobajob said:

Can someone explain to me what form of taxation this general taxation move is? Higher income tax rates? If the government was planning to do that, why, erm, reduce income tax in April? Or is it planning to increase income taxes at lower levels but keep the new 45p rate? Or what? Any ideas what this nebulous general taxation rise might be?

(Cue The Obsessed raising my household income yet again)

Baj: re our recent conversations on ticketing on the railways, the following link comparing it with London's Oyster system might be of interest:
    http://www.londonreconnections.com/2011/the-problem-with-simples-why-oyster-is-a-victim-of-its-own-success/
    While Britain’s Train Operating Companies (TOCs) and the DfT may talk about maximum fares, basic ticket options and cheap deals, the simple fact is that the system remains far too complex. Most travellers do not have the time or knowledge to be able to successfully trawl through fare tables and offers hunting out the cheapest option buried in the maths, nor – in the age of ticket machines and staffing reductions – are they generally able to do so easily at most major mainline stations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    DavidL said:

tim said:

@Life_ina_market_town

Its a justification for claiming that the PB Tories are utterly obsessed by the BBC, out of all proportion with other areas of much bigger expenditure, eg rural subsidies though.

Imagine if every thread when the Labour poll badly was taken up by Labour people saying

"I never use that empty road between Nairn and Lochaber, that goes past that half empty school, the underused health centre, massively subsidised farms, subsidised garages, why should I pay for them"

I tend to agree, although it should be noted that the universal postal service and common agricultural policy, which are two of the principal sources of largesse to the countryside, are consequences of membership of the European Union, which "PB Tories" are generally hostile to.
    The Universal Postal Service was around for probably a century before the EU so I am not sure you can blame them for that.

And even before the CAP we had government subsidy of farming go right back to the First World War. So again much as I detest the EU it is not the case that they are directly to blame for the existence of the subsidy - although of course in both cases remaining in the EU makes it impossible to get rid of those subsidies.

A good reason to leave.
    My wife found another one this morning, in fact she was threatening to join UKIP. Given the multitiude of serious problems the EU and the EZ in particular face it is perhaps remarkable that they have managed to find the time to focus on the power of motors in the domestic vacuum cleaner. Apparently from next year the motor is going to be restricted to 1600W and the year after to 900W.

With such initiatives as these is it any surprise that the artic ice cap is increasing in size again?
    I can see the UKIP posters now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tim said:

@Life_ina_market_town

Its a justification for claiming that the PB Tories are utterly obsessed by the BBC, out of all proportion with other areas of much bigger expenditure, eg rural subsidies though.

Imagine if every thread when the Labour poll badly was taken up by Labour people saying

"I never use that empty road between Nairn and Lochaber, that goes past that half empty school, the underused health centre, massively subsidised farms, subsidised garages, why should I pay for them"

I tend to agree, although it should be noted that the universal postal service and common agricultural policy, which are two of the principal sources of largesse to the countryside, are consequences of membership of the European Union, which "PB Tories" are generally hostile to.
    The Universal Postal Service was around for probably a century before the EU so I am not sure you can blame them for that.

And even before the CAP we had government subsidy of farming go right back to the First World War. So again much as I detest the EU it is not the case that they are directly to blame for the existence of the subsidy - although of course in both cases remaining in the EU makes it impossible to get rid of those subsidies.

A good reason to leave.
    My wife found another one this morning, in fact she was threatening to join UKIP. Given the multitiude of serious problems the EU and the EZ in particular face it is perhaps remarkable that they have managed to find the time to focus on the power of motors in the domestic vacuum cleaner. Apparently from next year the motor is going to be restricted to 1600W and the year after to 900W.

With such initiatives as these is it any surprise that the artic ice cap is increasing in size again?
    Brussels doesn't suck?

• Options
    Slightly off topic but totally related to political betting - Anyone want to price up Torbay ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2013

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tim said:

@Life_ina_market_town

A good reason to leave.

Brussels doesn't suck?

Oh, Brussels sucks alright. I have a quiet laugh and then a cry seeing how many here on PB see the EU as Britains' saviour instead of being it's destroyer.

Only UKIP as a party, opposes it's madness. Instead the Lab/Lib/Con party is driving us to complete annihilation and dissolution as a nation.

Come on all. Get off your bums and vote UKIP!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    edited November 2013

DavidL said:

Are you sure you haven't got one? I've been to serious discussions on nearly all these issues at the Labour conference and have seen articles by shadow Ministers resulting from them. But it's a cold day in Hell before one can get any reporting of any of it in the press. If you've been looking at Labour websites and don't like what you see, fair enough, but there is a lot of serious intent in these areas.

Well Nick, feel free to post links. There is the odd article on Labour Uncut and Hopi Sen is always worth a read but I am seriously not aware of any of the shadow cabinet addressing any of these issues in anything other than a frivilous way.

Our society is becoming more unequal, more fragmented and more indifferent to those in need. Our political class as a whole seems much more interested in chasing the votes that matter and those who do vote than giving serious consideration to any of these problems.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited November 2013
    malcolmg said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

I'm not interested in sport and if I want to see a film I'll have an outing to the cinema or wait until it's a fiver in HMV. Ditto buy or borrow boxed sets. A lot of stuff on the channels is filler garbage.

If you paid monthly for the BBC, plus wanted to watch sport etc... you could be shelling out a grand/1500 a year.

Agree - there's only so much time in the day & with Freesat/View more than enough to keep me entertained.....and then of course there is the cavalcade of wit & beauty on PB.com......

Not a lot of beauty this morning.
    many are on "half" the wit as well, your good self of course excluded, being one of my favourite posters.
    Aw thanks, malcolm. I like curmudgeons like you ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tim said:

@Life_ina_market_town

A good reason to leave.

Indeed. UKIP can clean up with this one.

• Options
    If they're going to make hoovers less powerful I'm going to have to vacuum more than once a month.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    SMukesh said:

Plebgate on BBC again!!!Yawwwwwwwwn

You don't think the Police fitting up an MP and them not losing their jobs is not newsworthy and disgusting?

Most decent people I think would disagree.
  • Options
    Carola said:

If they're going to make hoovers less powerful I'm going to have to vacuum more than once a month.

Be tough watching my wife work twice as hard
  • Options

Break your silence: Falkirk Labour Party members tell Scottish leader Johann Lamont ...

Labour members have demanded Scottish leader Johann Lamont answer their questions on the Falkirk vote-fixing row that nearly closed Grangemouth and explain why her party ignored the scandal.

In an email to Lamont, local branch members said they felt "utterly disillusioned" that their complaints about the trade union Unite were not addressed by the Scottish party and have urged her to speak at a summit today on the fiasco.

The branch also claimed the "inaction" nearly led to "economic catastrophe" through the possible closure of the vital Grangemouth oil refinery.

... "Many of our party members feel utterly disillusioned and disappointed that the Scottish party appeared to take no action, despite complaints being made that rules were being broken several months ago."

The official added: "Furthermore, we are aware that complaints were raised that data protection rules were abused, when Labour Party members were contacted by Unite the union, although they were not union members. How did Unite obtain their contacts?"

The email also claimed that the failure to address the allegations led to the Grangemouth crisis: "We believe that the inaction at that time almost caused an unprecedented country wide economic catastrophe and we would be grateful for an opportunity to speak directly to you, as Leader of the Scottish Labour Party."
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/break-your-silence-falkirk-labour-part-y-members-tell-scottish-leader-johann-lamont.22592711

This non news story does seem to be run and run doesn't it.

Still, I am sure decisive Ed will get a grip and throw out any rotten apples.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Slightly off topic but totally related to political betting - Anyone want to price up Torbay ?

It's a shame that none of the bookies have done so. None of the constituency betting markets yet include any typical Lib Dem held seats where the Conservatives are the main challenger, and the outcome largely depends on whether or not Labour supporting voters can still bring themselves to vote tactically for the LDs. Eastleigh is there, but given UKIP's role is hardly typical. Torbay would certainly fill a gap.

• Options
    Floater said:

Break your silence: Falkirk Labour Party members tell Scottish leader Johann Lamont ...

Labour members have demanded Scottish leader Johann Lamont answer their questions on the Falkirk vote-fixing row that nearly closed Grangemouth and explain why her party ignored the scandal.

In an email to Lamont, local branch members said they felt "utterly disillusioned" that their complaints about the trade union Unite were not addressed by the Scottish party and have urged her to speak at a summit today on the fiasco.

The branch also claimed the "inaction" nearly led to "economic catastrophe" through the possible closure of the vital Grangemouth oil refinery.

... "Many of our party members feel utterly disillusioned and disappointed that the Scottish party appeared to take no action, despite complaints being made that rules were being broken several months ago."

The official added: "Furthermore, we are aware that complaints were raised that data protection rules were abused, when Labour Party members were contacted by Unite the union, although they were not union members. How did Unite obtain their contacts?"

The email also claimed that the failure to address the allegations led to the Grangemouth crisis: "We believe that the inaction at that time almost caused an unprecedented country wide economic catastrophe and we would be grateful for an opportunity to speak directly to you, as Leader of the Scottish Labour Party."
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/break-your-silence-falkirk-labour-part-y-members-tell-scottish-leader-johann-lamont.22592711

“ Union tactics over Grangemouth are too sick to defend

These are the actions of a union boss who is using the Labour Party so he and his cronies can seize power and control the voice of democracy”

Never thought the Falkirk story would be covered by the Mirror – let alone in the language they are using. Quite astonishing how badly UNITE’s bullying and intimidation of innocent families has split the left.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/carole-malone-column-union-tactics-2669432#ixzz2jZ7UgNYq
  • Options
    @Carola - found that Observer article claiming a poll shows "that 91% of parents with a child at a free school think local authorities have a key role in ensuring high standards." - Done by YouGov in London - I expect it will show up sooner or later - perhaps its another Labour 'private poll' they'll want to leak.....

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/03/free-schools-schools
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited November 2013
    Ken Clarke: Full face veil 'most peculiar costume'

The former justice secretary, Ken Clarke, has said that the full face veil for Muslim women is a "most peculiar costume".

He was speaking about the issue of Muslim females wearing the clothing when they give evidence in court.

Mr Clarke told Radio 4's The World This Weekend that they should not be allowed to because it would be almost impossible to have a proper trial if someone is in, what he referred to, a "kind of bag".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24794809
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It's a shame that none of the bookies have done so. None of the constituency betting markets yet include any typical Lib Dem held seats where the Conservatives are the main challenger, and the outcome largely depends on whether or not Labour supporting voters can still bring themselves to vote tactically for the LDs. Eastleigh is there, but given UKIP's role is hardly typical. Torbay would certainly fill a gap.

I've actually asked Shadsy for a market, need for a friend of mine - I'd accept a market from one of the 'regulars' on here though...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I've actually asked Shadsy for a market, need for a friend of mine - I'd accept a market from one of the 'regulars' on here though...
    Marcus Wood , sometime poster on here is no longer the Conservative challenger . It is now Kevin Foster a Conservative councillor on Coventry MBC who has local roots in Plymouth IIRC .
  • Options
    Roger said:

@JJ

"The Complete
    Bundle"

Well thanks for that. Mine is £75 a month so I'll call them!

If I had the choice between all that Sky gives me for £75 a month or just BBC radio and BBC 4 I'd choose the BBC package even if it cost 5x as much. It's just exceptional value.

What the BBC should do is switch off all services for a day then get the Telegraph to ask the same question,

I don't take 3D portion of package, but I take everything else and we have 4 boxes in the house and dont pay much more than £75 even with all those extra HD multi rooms.
  • Options
    Floater said:

SMukesh said:

You don't think the Police fitting up an MP and them not losing their jobs is not newsworthy and disgusting?

It is pretty disgusting but it's got very boring because the news story has been pretty stuck for a while now what with it being endless inquiry time. Plus, daft police officer jazzes-up evidence they thought would've been their word against a 'suspect's' to support their view isn't exactly the most surprising or thrilling turn of events.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2013

Floater said:

“ Union tactics over Grangemouth are too sick to defend

These are the actions of a union boss who is using the Labour Party so he and his cronies can seize power and control the voice of democracy”

Never thought the Falkirk story would be covered by the Mirror – let alone in the language they are using. Quite astonishing how badly UNITE’s bullying and intimidation of innocent families has split the left.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/carole-malone-column-union-tactics-2669432#ixzz2jZ7UgNYq

Has anyone noticed what a weak mouth Len McCluskey has? Lots off bully boys have this and similer weaknesses?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Ken Clarke: Full face veil 'most peculiar costume'

The former justice secretary, Ken Clarke, has said that the full face veil for Muslim women is a "most peculiar costume".

He was speaking about the issue of Muslim females wearing the clothing when they give evidence in court.

Mr Clarke told Radio 4's The World This Weekend that they should not be allowed to because it would be almost impossible to have a proper trial if someone is in, what he referred to, a "kind of bag".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24794809

He's quite right. The jury and the judges and the barristers for all parties need to be able to see a defendant's reactions to witness evidence. Having someone hiding behind a mask prevents that and therefore prevents justice being done, according to the law.

• Options

@Carola - found that Observer article claiming a poll shows "that 91% of parents with a child at a free school think local authorities have a key role in ensuring high standards." - Done by YouGov in London - I expect it will show up sooner or later - perhaps its another Labour 'private poll' they'll want to leak.....

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/03/free-schools-schools

Ah, sorry. I posted the wrong link. I'd meant to link that article. No link to poll detail though as you say.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It has to be said that it is incredible that people who want to watch TV channels other than BBC still have to pay the licence fee. What percentage of FreeView channels are BBC ones?
  • Options

Floater said:

SMukesh said:

It is pretty disgusting but it's got very boring because the news story has been pretty stuck for a while
    You should read:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmhaff/756-i/756.pdf

"We find it extraordinary that any witness, let alone a Chief Constable, should seek to
    correct the evidence given by another, particularly when that witness is a sworn
    officer, and given the nature of the investigation on which this inquiry focuses."
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    edited November 2013
    AndyJS said:

It has to be said that it is incredible that people who want to watch TV channels other than BBC still have to pay the licence fee. What percentage of FreeView channels are BBC ones?

Wrong question. The question is what % of viewing time (ie ratings) on Freeview is on BBC channels? The answer: BBC1 is the most popular single channel in the country, and the BBC channels combined equal roughly 25-30% of all TV viewing in this country. Unfortunately I don't have the data for just the freeview channels.

EDIT: What you think of those figures and what they justify is another matter, of course.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/trend-graph-channel-viewing-share?data_series[]=1&data_series[]=2&data_series[]=4&data_series[]=5&data_series[]=56&data_series[]=181&data_series[]=54&period_start=20-10-2010&period_end=20-10-2013&button_submit=View+graph
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Marcus Wood , sometime poster on here is no longer the Conservative challenger . It is now Kevin Foster a Conservative councillor on Coventry MBC who has local roots in Plymouth IIRC .
    What do you think, 1-3 Lib Dem Hold; 3-1 Con gain ? Just trying to work out a correct price here...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you think, 1-3 Lib Dem Hold; 3-1 Con gain ? Just trying to work out a correct price here...
    Allowing the bookies a profit LD 1/3 Con 5/2
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Would you be prepared to offer 5-2 on CON ? (Will be smallish stakes...)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Would you be prepared to offer 5-2 on CON ? (Will be smallish stakes...)
    Not really a market I want to get involved in but I will give it more thought .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    @floater

"I don't take 3D portion of package, but I take everything else and we have 4 boxes in the house and dont pay much more than £75 even with all those extra HD multi rooms."

Thanks for that.

Mine is £75 as I said with two boxes fo watch in two rooms. So how would you welcome that creepy Tyndall calling you a liar?

Message to moderator. I note you have removed my comment telling Tyndall to fuck off but left his calling me a liar. Does that really make sense to you?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    @Roger have you got senile dementia or are you just really stupid. That one will obviously be removed too.
  • Options

Floater said:

SMukesh said:

It is pretty disgusting but it's got very boring because the news story has been pretty stuck for a while
    You should read:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmhaff/756-i/756.pdf

"We find it extraordinary that any witness, let alone a Chief Constable, should seek to
    correct the evidence given by another, particularly when that witness is a sworn
    officer, and given the nature of the investigation on which this inquiry focuses."
    The conclusions are pretty dreadful, as were the performances of the officers involved. I suppose what I meant is not that it isn't very serious but that once you get past the revelatory stage of the story things slow down and you just want those involved who did stuff wrong to resign and naff off in disgrace rather than pollute any more news cycles.

That's especially true when that news is the shocking revelation that rubbish coppers have a propensity to cover their arses when they spectacularly and allegedly illegally make complete and utter fools of themselves. Needs to be reported, but is a tad dull.
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

Thanks,

Sent you a PM regarding this.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Please avoid any bad language Roger!

Just in case you are senile
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@MarkSenior

Thanks,

Sent you a PM regarding this.

Have replied , cheers .
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited November 2013
    Truly AVB is Jose's real apprentice.... not very Spurs but then again it's a point wheras flamboyant spurs would lose after that second half effort...
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    This announcement on the living wage is an odd one. If it is such a good thing why not just increase the minimum wage to the right level?

Instead we get this one-year-only post-election bribe - after which benefits will catch up with incomes and the worker will be only marginally better off (if at all), and the employer will be saddled with the full cost of the increased salary and tax/NI.

It just seems like another compromised muddle that puts lots of voters off politicians and highlights lack of principle or follow through.
  • Options
    New Thread
This discussion has been closed.