Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2019 opens with a bang and some leavers are getting aerated ab

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2019 opens with a bang and some leavers are getting aerated about the fireworks

Remainer partisanship re Sadiq Khan's council-tax-funded propaganda is a strong start to the new year pic.twitter.com/WRSxDX3jpT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2019
    1st to plunge into the Great Brexit Controversy of 2019
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    An amusing event.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

An amusing event.

Brexit? or the Big EU Wheel?
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    (Re the table in the previous thread)

Of the most recent polls by all the companies in that table:

2 - YouGov and ICM - had the Conservatives ahead (by 2% each)

4 - Opinium, Kantar, IPSOS and Panelbase - had an exact tie

3 - BMG, ComRes and Survation - had Labour ahead (by 1%, 2% and 1% respectively).

That seems about as close as you can get to a tie.

The last time that a governing UK party was in a similar state to the present one (i.e. complete and utter parliamentary meltdown, with open civil war ensuing over the EU), the opposition party was in excess of 20% ahead.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

3 - BMG, ComRes and Survation - had Labour ahead (by 1%, 2% and 1% respectively).

The last time that a governing UK party was in a similar state to the present one (i.e. complete and utter parliamentary meltdown, with open civil war ensuing over the EU), the opposition party was in excess of 20% ahead.

We are missing a Black Wednesday type event and a good few years extra of the Tories being in charge, which would probably then add up to the result you expect.
    I do hope there will be more of this before March 29th.

For example, if the government really is preparing properly to exit on WTO terms, rather than just going through the motions, then it should consult on a proposal that each new car sold in the UK should display the flag of the main country where it was manufactured, together with that of the EU if applicable.

We are missing a Black Wednesday type event and a good few years extra of the Tories being in charge, which would probably then add up to the result you expect.
    9 years already seems like an eternity.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    The same people who think this London Eye lighting a jolly jape will be gammon puce when the adverts are put up saying "Welcome To Brexit Britain".

On the side of a (TfL) bus......
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone seriously believe this is going to do Sadiq Khan any harm at all? It’s a well-judged signal to his supporters and to the outside world that London does not subscribe to the backward-looking introspection that is Brexit. And all for no marginal cost, given that fireworks were going to be lit anyway.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

The Conservatives are at least keeping it fresh with a new PM every so often, 3rd time lucky.
    If there is one team Forest enjoy beating more than Derby, it's Leeds.

Cracking start to the year!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

The same people who think this London Eye lighting a jolly jape will be gammon puce when the adverts are put up saying "Welcome To Brexit Britain".

After Brexit is stopped, EU flags will be put on all public buildings.

The Conservatives are at least keeping it fresh with a new PM every so often, 3rd time lucky.
    4th time, possibly. The Conservatives have already won 3 in a row.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Oh, so something has annoyed Julia Hartley-Brewer.

I'm bound to be in favour of whatever it is then.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

I do hope there will be more of this before March 29th.

For example, if the government really is preparing properly to exit on WTO terms, rather than just going through the motions, then it should consult on a proposal that each new car sold in the UK should display the flag of the main country where it was manufactured, together with that of the EU if applicable.

How would you deal with a car that was assembled in Britain using entirely imported Japanese parts. That could be a less British car than one imputed from the US, but which had a British made engine, transmission and electronics.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Pathetic from some Leavers in the media and politicians.

They’re always angry about something . Why shouldn’t the mayor put a European slant on things . And London voted overwhelmingly to Remain. I was actually hoping they’d play Ode To Joy for the whole display .

• ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kinabalu said:

Oh, so something has annoyed Julia Hartley-Brewer.

I'm bound to be in favour of whatever it is then.

Missed you the last thread but I have the smoking gene as well. The only thing that worked for me was the proper vaping gear, not the thin sticks they sell in the supermarket. You get loads of vapour, it is warm and full of nicotine, just like smoking analogues. You can even blow vape rings.
    /I did both at first just slipped in a vape when I would have had an analogue and after a week or so the fags were left unsmoked on the table top. A good juice also helps, I can recommend bread of heaven made by the druids brew in wales. Even vaping the health benefits are obvious within a couple of days,
    Good luck it is worth it.
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    I wonder what the reaction of Remainers would be if the Gov proposed a big firework display to celebrate actually leaving the EU. Very similar to that of the tweets above I should imagine. Both are pointless.

Shame Sadiq Khan doesn’t show the same concern about escalating knife crime in London.

We managed to stop flags with swastikas being put on all public buildings.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I wonder what the reaction of Remainers would be if the Gov proposed a big firework display to celebrate actually leaving the EU. Very similar to that of the tweets above I should imagine. Both are pointless.

Shame Sadiq Khan doesn’t show the same concern about escalating knife crime in London.

How does he do that? That's for the police
    One moronic Tory MEP has compared the EU stars on the eye as the same as putting the Argentinian flag up during the Falklands .

He clearly is another nutjob who views the EU as the enemy of the UK.
    nico67 said:

One moronic Tory MEP has compared the EU stars on the eye as the same as putting the Argentinian flag up during the Falklands .

@MarqueeMark has already gone the full Godwin on this thread.
  • nico67 said:

The sad thing is that many do and ultra brexiteers are as unacceptable as ultra remainers in this climate

The biggest danger in all of this is polarising London from the rest of England and deapening the divisions

Khan politicised a national celebration to make him feel good but it was unnecesary.

I have no axe to grind for the brexiteers who do not represent my views but if, and it is a big if, we somehow remain in the EU remainers need to be magnanimous or the divisions will go on for decades
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,045
    I don't understand why anyone would be fussed to be honest.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,061

nico67 said:

The sad thing is that many do and ultra brexiteers are as unacceptable as ultra remainers in this climate

The biggest danger in all of this is polarising London from the rest of England and deapening the divisions

Khan politicised a national celebration to make him feel good but it was unnecesary.

I have no axe to grind for the brexiteers who do not represent my views but if, and it is a big if, we somehow remain in the EU remainers need to be magnanimous or the divisions will go on for decades
    The divisions are there, they won't just go away because May asks them to. Not when her idea of compromise is for everyone to agree with her!
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    I agree that it is inappropriate for Sadiq Khan to use the NYE fireworks for a political message. I wouldn’t like it if the shoe were on the other foot.
  • Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The divisions are there, they won't just go away because May asks them to. Not when her idea of compromise is for everyone to agree with her!
    This is nothing to do with TM. Compromise has to be at the centre of healing

I don't understand why anyone would be fussed to be honest.

Likewise
  • I agree that it is inappropriate for Sadiq Khan to use the NYE fireworks for a political message. I wouldn’t like it if the shoe were on the other foot.

It was especially ill timed

Policing in London is the responsibility of the Mayor

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

It is everything to do with TM. It is her dysfunctional approach to Brexit that has deepened the countries divisions.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

It is everything to do with TM. It is her dysfunctional approach to Brexit that has deepened the countries divisions.
    No - you want to remain with no compromise. To win you over she would have to stop brexit
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

So the HomeSec has nothing to do with it?
  • I hadn't realised John Rentoul was now regarded as a Leaver? Perhaps Mike's headline is a little misleading?

That said I don't really see the issue with it personally. Kahn is representing a strongly Remain constituency and this particular message will have been paid for out of their pocket not mine so I cannot get exercised about it.

All those people who are shouting about it are doing is making it stay in the spotlight for longer. They are being played rather effectively by the Mayor.

So the HomeSec has nothing to do with it?
    Not for policing and crime priorities he doesn’t
    https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/pcc/
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I agree that it is inappropriate for Sadiq Khan to use the NYE fireworks for a political message. I wouldn’t like it if the shoe were on the other foot.

Good point. The holiday season should be a rest from politics.

It is a great image though. I think it will become iconic.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1079905450248847361
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,763
    Am I really supposed to be bothered by this?

I must be running low on my snowflake quotient.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

You two are in an equipoise of risibility.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

No - you want to remain with no compromise. To win you over she would have to stop brexit
    Well Foxy might just be worth it.....

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

May doesn’t understand the Remainers and hasn’t made any attempts at healing.

To do so, she would have needed to confront various mistruths propagated by the promoters of Brexit. Instead, through her silence, and even once or twice with her own rhetoric, she has led the most mendacious administration since Gulf War-era-Labour.

As an aside, an esteemed PBer channels my thoughts and I think those of many Remainers.

https://twitter.com/spajw/status/1080040628644392960?s=21

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

No one is much interested in compromising, except on their own terms. That is the essence of the current political crisis.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

To do so, she would have needed to confront various mistruths propagated by the promoters of Brexit. Instead, through her silence, and even once or twice with her own rhetoric, she has led the most mendacious administration since Gulf War-era-Labour.

As an aside, an esteemed PBer channels my thoughts and I think those of many Remainers.

It is a two way street. The remainers have moved heaven and earth in trying to stop brexit with no compromise on offer.

I actually share the views of concern about our image and the way we have divided our nation. But each side bears dual responsibility and many of us are stuck in the middle in despair and just want either TM deal accepted or a clear path to a decisive, and it has to be decisive, referendum to remain
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

No one is much interested in compromising, except on their own terms. That is the essence of the current political crisis.
    It may interest you to know that my wife and I both despair at the ultra brexiteers, almost English Nationalists, that have cornered part of our party and we both denounce their hard brexit wto attitudes and hope that in time the majority of conservative mps and the party can become the one nation conservatives again
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    DavidL said:

Am I really supposed to be bothered by this?

I must be running low on my snowflake quotient.

snap

I really couldnt care less, its all London posturing and you cant condemn Khan for doing what
    any politician would do

I hadn't realised John Rentoul was now regarded as a Leaver? Perhaps Mike's headline is a little misleading?

That said I don't really see the issue with it personally. Kahn is representing a strongly Remain constituency and this particular message will have been paid for out of their pocket not mine so I cannot get exercised about it.

All those people who are shouting about it are doing is making it stay in the spotlight for longer. They are being played rather effectively by the Mayor.

That's even assuming that Mayor Kahn was so all over the New Year's celebration that he knew EXACTLY what the fireworks were going to look like. Rather than, say, getting a broad brush briefing as part of a much larger discussion on the whole New Year's Eve thing.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The sad thing is that many do and ultra brexiteers are as unacceptable asdes

It is a two way street. The remainers have moved heaven and earth in trying to stop brexit with no compromise on offer.

I actually share the views of concern about our image and the way we have divided our nation. But each side bears dual responsibility and many of us are stuck in the middle in despair and just want either TM deal accepted or a clear path to a decisive, and it has to be decisive, referendum to remain
    I would like to agree with your first para, but I do not. Remainers have fought a rearguard battle of course, but that’s democracy in action.

I would have been content - not happy! - with an EFTA type arrangement, and a government that showed true leadership and a willingness to confront the lies around Brexit.

Instead, May enabled the perpetuation of those lies, and lo the Overton window shifted very far and very fast.

Hence we now stand on the precipice of a No Deal Brexit - a circumstance we would have thought laughably unlikely in early 2016.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Eh? It has everything to do with TM. There is not a shred of compromise in her - and the problem is that she is completely wrong. All the time.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Time for the Queen to give her blue hat another outing...
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

They are still there.

People who spat on twitter and comment below articles in the Mail represent - at most - 1% of the population
    PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Eh? It has everything to do with TM. There is not a shred of compromise in her - and the problem is that she is completely wrong. All the time.
    She seems happy enough to compromise with the EU. Most Remainers don’t want compromise though. They just want Brexit cancelled despite the wishes of the majority.

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

She seems happy enough to compromise with the EU. Most Remainers don’t want compromise though. They just want Brexit cancelled despite the wishes of the majority.
    Actually they're asking for a referendum on the deal - which if you are right about the majority view, shouldn't be a problem.
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Actually they're asking for a referendum on the deal - which if you are right about the majority view, shouldn't be a problem.
    According to very persistent polling for nearly two years now —— he’s wrong.
    IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

We had one of those. Those who didn’t like the result want another without being honest enough to honour the first.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Because polls matter more than votes do they ?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    It's going to be a loooooooooonnnnngggggg road to 29th March....

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

One moronic Tory MEP has compared the EU stars on the eye as the same as putting the lag up during the Falklands .

has to be at the centre of healing
    IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Another nutjob who views the EU as the enemy of the UK.

We had one of those. Those who didn’t like the result want another without being honest enough to honour the first.
    Two and a half years of trying and failing is honour enough.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The most recent national election was called to secure a majority for Brexit, and people declined the offer.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

After a while, they do.
    This is why we change government quite regularly.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Rich, self-hating lefty projects personal feelings onto his country - not original, not interesting.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The most recent national election was called to secure a majority for Brexit, and people declined the offer.
    The parties supporting Remain - the LibDems and SNP - didn’t exactly prosper did they ?
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

I hadn't realised John Rentoul was now regarded as a Leaver? Perhaps Mike's headline is a little misleading?

That's even assuming that Mayor Kahn was so all over the New Year's celebration that he knew EXACTLY what the fireworks were going to look like. Rather than, say, getting a broad brush briefing as part of a much larger discussion on the whole New Year's Eve thing.
    How else might he fill his days?
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

They are still there.

People who spat on twitter and comment below articles in the Mail represent - at most - 1% of the population
    Actually they represent 51.8%
    Remainers like myself were happy to accept the result and move on if a sensible Brexit deal was on offer and if the nutjobs in the ERG hadn’t wanted to rub Remainers noses in the dirt .

Brexit is now a right wing capitalism on steroids coup and I refuse to back this and won’t accept it .

May is a vile xenophobic little Englander whose obsessed with keeping fellow Europeans out , shes done zip to unite the country and she can shove her crap deal where the sun doesn’t shine .
    nico67 said:

Remainers like myself were happy to accept the result and move on if a sensible Brexit deal was on offer and if the nutjobs in the ERG hadn’t wanted to rub Remainers noses in the dirt .

Brexit is now a right wing capitalism on steroids coup and I refuse to back this and won’t accept it .

May is a vile xenophobic little Englander whose obsessed with keeping fellow Europeans out , shes done zip to unite the country and she can shove her crap deal where the sun doesn’t shine .

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019

What a ridiculous, moronic statement.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Every new year, every major city around the world, more fecking fireworks.

At least Sadiq has shown a little bit of imagination.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

After a while, they do.
    This is why we change government quite regularly.
    So win a mandate at the next election for a second referendum rather than trying to stop the first with no mandate.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The parties supporting Remain - the LibDems and SNP - didn’t exactly prosper did they ?
    May said she called the election because Labour had threatened to vote against the Brexit deal. Their manifesto said they would scrap the government’s white paper and instead keep “the benefits of the single market and customs union”. It’s not correct to say that Labour were pro-Brexit in 2017.

https://youtu.be/4xr9-CkZZRk

nico67 said:

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019
    Thanks I’m done with appeasing leavers . The country is being trashed , the UKs reputation is in the toilet . People are losing their rights and freedoms all so some Leavers can get drunk on illusionary sovereignty and keep EU nationals out whilst just replacing them with non EU ones !

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

True, if you ignore the fact that 4 in 5 voted for parties with a manifesto commitment to enact Brexit.
  • Every new year, every major city around the world, more fecking fireworks.

At least Sadiq has shown a little bit of imagination.

Well to be fair, he didn't welcome 2018 in as did Sydney to the embarrassment of our friends in Australia
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    nico67 said:

Crikey... :D
    nico67 said:

do yourself a favour and have a Brexit free January

youll feel much better for it
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

One moronic Tory MEP has compared the EU stars on the eye as the same as putting the lag up during the Falklands .

Khan politicised a national celebration to make him feel good
    has to be at the centre of healing
    IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Another nutjob who views the EU as the enemy of the UK.

Two and a half years of trying and failing is honour enough.
    There has been nothing honest or honourable in the behaviour of most Remainers since A50 was lodged which is almost 2 years now.

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

True, if you ignore the fact that 4 in 5 voted for parties with a manifesto commitment to enact Brexit.
    We are calling for a referendum on the Deal, not to cancel Brexit.

As William points out above, the Deal was in *nobody’s* manifesto, and May conspicuously failed to win a majority for her personal Brexit.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    nico67 said:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The only political position that May has held consistently throughout her career seems to be hostility to foreigners.

HNY to all, and best wishes to those with health issues, rather a downbeat start to PBs new year.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Nah, even that wouldn't do, I will not be voting Tory again, even if they bring back the ghost of Ted Heath as leader.

nico67 said:

Very funny ! I’ll feel much better when I get my new EU passport care of my parents having the good sense to be born in an EU country ! I just feel sorry for those not able to do this .
    RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Rich, self-hating lefty projects personal feelings onto his country - not original, not interesting.
    What’s funny is that this is a part of a discussion about compromise.

Sadly, your response epitomises the bigoted, wont-listen Brexiters.
  • nico67 said:

nico67 said:

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019
    Thanks I’m done with appeasing leavers . The country is being trashed , the UKs reputation is in the toilet . People are losing their rights and freedoms all so some Leavers can get drunk on illusionary sovereignty and keep EU nationals out whilst just replacing them with non EU ones !

498 MPs voted to serve A50 and for a no deal outcome

The stupid thing is they did not know what they were doing and are now only realising the seriousness of the mess they all voted for

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

May said she called the election because Labour had threatened to vote against the Brexit deal. Their manifesto said they would scrap the government’s white paper and instead keep “the benefits of the single market and customs union”. It’s not correct to say that Labour were pro-Brexit in 2017.

https://youtu.be/4xr9-CkZZRk
    Voting against her Brexit deal is not the same as supporting Remain. There are plenty of Tory Brexit supporters who’ll vote against her deal.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    Good news from New Horizons, though.
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Very funny ! I’ll feel much better when I get my new EU passport care of my parents having the good sense to be born in an EU country ! I just feel sorry for those not able to do this .
    well then youre no worse off, better if anything from having dual nationality

not much point getting worked up about it

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The Labour manifesto committed them to:

- Reject no deal
    - Reject the Conservatives’ deal
    - Keep the benefits of the SM/CU
    - Put the national interest first

That’s not a commitment to enact Brexit.

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019

The stupid thing is they did not know what they were doing and are now only realising the seriousness of the mess they all voted for
    They can bloody well vote to postpone it then, can’t they?
  • nico67 said:

nico67 said:

There is no such thing as an EU passport

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019

which was pretty much the state of play every time they voted for further integration

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I’m not worked up about my situation . I’m concerned about those who don’t have that chance .
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742

IanB2 said:

PClipp said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The Labour manifesto committed them to:

- Reject no deal
    - Reject the Conservatives’ deal
    - Keep the benefits of the SM/CU
    - Put the national interest first

That’s not a commitment to enact Brexit.
    Did it also commit them to better weather on Thursdays?

(Point four is gloriously unselfaware. Corbyn putting the national interest first would be like Chavez committing to not rob his own Treasury.)
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

You aren't looking forward to a blue passport? I wonder what colour the ration book will be?

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

There is no such thing as an EU passport
    Give it two years and there certainly will be without us there to make them see reason.
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I’m not worked up about my situation . I’m concerned about those who don’t have that chance .
    I think youll find theyre perfectly able to look after their own interests and you cant satisfy them all in any case.
    Fenman said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

You aren't looking forward to a blue passport? I wonder what colour the ration book will be?
    Last lot were a sort of greenish brown.

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Somebody who thinks that as a result of a single referendum Britain no longer exhibits solidarity, tolerance, rationality, humour and essential decency is not thinking rationally. One cannot compromise with someone who ‘thinks’ in this way.

I’m in favour of the deal. You are in no position to call me bigoted or accuse me of not listening.
    edited January 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

Somebody who thinks that as a result of a single referendum Britain no longer exhibits solidarity, tolerance, rationality, humour and essential decency is not thinking rationally. One cannot compromise with someone who ‘thinks’ in this way.

I’m in favour of the deal. You are in no position to call me bigoted or accuse me of not listening.
    Did you read the thread?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

Belated New Year greetings to you and yours, Big_G. I'm looking forward to another year of sparring.

It wasn't that the 498 voted to invoke A50 - they probably made the not unreasonable assumption (as I would have) that the scope of the project would include a suitable risk analysis looking at every contingency including (however unlikely it may have seemed) of there being No Deal.

To me, that has been the single most abject failure of the past (nearly) two years. We have reached a point with 90 days to go until we leave the EU and it's quite clear we are insufficiently prepared for the not unreasonable contingency of exiting without a Deal.

Were we adequately prepared, we would be in a much stronger position. Our ineptitude weakens us.

That is a failing of governance and of Government for which successive DEXEU secretaries and the Prime Minister herself are responsible and for which they should be held accountable.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2019

Anyone seriously believe this is going to do Sadiq Khan any harm at all? It’s a well-judged signal to his supporters and to the outside world that London does not subscribe to the backward-looking introspection that is Brexit. And all for no marginal cost, given that fireworks were going to be lit anyway.

If no-one had mentioned it, it wouldn't have occurred to me that the colour scheme had any connection with the EU.

So, no, I don't see how it can possibly do him any harm at all.

Edited to add: Good evening, everyone, and a Happy New Year.

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

+1

Oh screw it,

+2019

They can bloody well vote to postpone it then, can’t they?
    They can vote however they like. It’s for the EU 27 to decide whether it should happen or not, and what the cost should be.
    AnneJGP said:

If no-one had mentioned it, it wouldn't have occurred to me that the colour scheme had any connection with the EU.

So, no, I don't see how it can possibly do him any harm at all.

Edited to add: Good evening, everyone, and a Happy New Year.
    Leavers are obviously blue about it, but Remainers will consider him a star.
This discussion has been closed.