Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As 2018 comes to an end Marf’s Cartoon of the year

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As 2018 comes to an end Marf’s Cartoon of the year

We’ve not seen a Marf cartoon on PB for some time but this is her end of the year drawing for the Jewish Chronicle. Thanks Marf. It is fun.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    This cannot be first ?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    2nd?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Why Banbury?
    viewcode said:

2nd?

Provisionally.
  • ydoethur said:

Why Banbury?

A couple who named their baby after Adolf Hitler have been found guilty of being members of a banned terrorist group.

Adam Thomas, 22, and Claudia Patatas, 38, from Banbury, along with Daniel Bogunovic, 27, from Leicester, were convicted of being in National Action.

Birmingham Crown Court heard the couple gave their child the middle name Adolf in honour of the Nazi leader.

Jurors saw images of Thomas in Ku Klux Klan robes while cradling his baby.

The Neo-Nazi terrorist group National Action, founded in 2013, was outlawed under anti-terror legislation three years later after it celebrated the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46151838
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    I think to be accurate the 'rate May's deal' scale should have as it's highest option the yellow neutral face.

ydoethur said:

Why Banbury?

A couple who named their baby after Adolf Hitler have been found guilty of being members of a banned terrorist group.

Adam Thomas, 22, and Claudia Patatas, 38, from Banbury, along with Daniel Bogunovic, 27, from Leicester, were convicted of being in National Action.

Birmingham Crown Court heard the couple gave their child the middle name Adolf in honour of the Nazi leader.

Jurors saw images of Thomas in Ku Klux Klan robes while cradling his baby.

The Neo-Nazi terrorist group National Action, founded in 2013, was outlawed under anti-terror legislation three years later after it celebrated the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46151838
    Thanks. I wondered if the JC had abandoned London as hostile territory or something!
    SeanT said:

fpt

I have just bought myself an Amazon Echo Show. It really is the telescreen from 1984. It has a camera constantly watching you, as well as a microphone constantly listening. It talks back to you like Alexa, answering questions etc, but it will also Drop In on other users allowing you to see into their homes with a word - i.e. you can watch them in real tim. It is simultaneously sinister yet brilliant. It is also sexy: it acts as a digital photo frame when resting, and I have filled it with saucy photos of my wife,

I am bound to forget to turn it off when the vicar pops round, etc

In the full realisation I am going to regret asking this:

What do you do with the Vicar that you really don't want recording?
    This has a grim look to it:

Dozens missing in deadly Russia explosion in Magnitogorsk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46720260
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    SeanT said:

OMG there's just two of us left on PB, ydoethur.

Are we the only people that loathe New Year's Eve? I detest it. Forced and organised jollity, like a national Stag Night. Yuk.

My best ever New Year's Eve was spent with one old friend, in a big old house, smoking heroin. Bliss.

Wouldn't it make more sense to move it back to the beginning of spring in March?
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2018
    Very good Marf.
    That style reminded me a bit of the lengthy cartoons Tim Hunkin used to do for New Scientist, when I read it. They were educational and homely.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

dodrade said:

SeanT said:

Are we the only people that loathe New Year's Eve? I detest it. Forced and organised jollity, like a national Stag Night. Yuk.

My best ever New Year's Eve was spent with one old friend, in a big old house, smoking heroin. Bliss.

Wouldn't it make more sense to move it back to the beginning of spring in March?
    Indeed! The shite weather doesn't help. Nor the proximity to Christmas: which is another day of forced merriment, but at least a national holiday with lots of folklore, music, traditions, all attached, which make it way more bearable.

New Year's Eve should be the day before Spring solstice, I reckon, Better weather, sense of
    Spring arriving. Yay.

I do feel for Americans, who have to do Thanksgiving, Christmas AND NYE all in one 40 day blitz. They must go mad.
    Hence the election of Trump :lol:
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    If one a shift worker who doesn't care for those events, though, one becomes very popular when others try to arrange for the time off.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I find the cartoon quite amusing.

I am surprised the Jewish chronical are not more scathing about Jeremy Corbyn and his followers! Does anybody else find the irony of Corbyn's initial JC as in Jesus Christ perverse? To paraphrase the Life of Brian film: He (Jeremy Corbyn) is not the messiah but a very naughty boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZRe1kPWZw
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    SeanT said:

I am rather depressed, having just packed a very dear friend off to rehab for similar, so not feeling like going out and celebrating. I was invited to a very swanky dinner, but I don't feel much like celebrating so have decided to stay in and watch the telly, like the old man I am rapidly becoming.

The best new year I ever had involved a chance encounter with a call girl new to the city, she was booked for an hour but we ended up spending the next three days getting high together. And dated for some months after. Wasn't it John Lennon who said that life is what happens while you're making other plans?

Happy new year to all PB'ers. My resolution is to try to be kinder to others, here and elsewhere. I'm done with all the bloody arguing and fighting.

• Just caught the Russian NYE in Moscow on Sky News. It might have been a crap camera position, but it looked like there were more people at Trump's inauguration.
    SeanT said:

...I have just bought myself an Amazon Echo Show. It really is the telescreen from 1984. It has a camera constantly watching you, as well as a microphone constantly listening. It talks back to you like Alexa, answering questions etc, but it will also Drop In on other users allowing you to see into their homes with a word - i.e. you can watch them in real tim. It is simultaneously sinister yet brilliant...

I am constantly amazed by the capacity of people to adopt voluntarily concepts that they wouldn't do involuntarily. I had an argument with a girl in work once. She wore a Fitbit and logged on regularly to examine her progress and get points. I reminded her that she was wearing an electronic device that monitored her behavior and issued positive or negative reinforcement accordingly, a form of mind control. She wasn't best pleased about that.... :(

• I find the cartoon quite amusing.

I am surprised the Jewish chronical are not more scathing about Jeremy Corbyn and his followers! Does anybody else find the irony of Corbyn's initial JC as in Jesus Christ perverse? To paraphrase the Life of Brian film: He (Jeremy Corbyn) is not the messiah but a very naughty boy!

Jesus Christ's initials were YH, not JC.
    Back in the day when Republicans were blue and democrats were red and black Friday didn't exist, Thanksgiving involved getting together with family for a Turkey-veggies-wild rice-sweet potato-cranberry sauce meal.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Greetings from Boston, MA. Been here for 2 weeks so far, coming back to the UK tomorrow. I can say that the demise of the US has been greatly exaggerated, despite Trump, or alternatively because of him. Happy New Year to all PBers.
    edited December 2018

Surely YY?

(Incidentally Sean I am in full Scrooge mode. I am shortly hoping to go to bed and catch up with some sleep, but people will be letting bloody fireworks off all night and I won't have a chance of rest. So I sympathise).
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Twenty years ago tomorrow, I did the first walk for my website - a simple 7-mile stroll to Shining Tor on the Derbyshire / Cheshire border.

Tomorrow, twenty years to the day, I'll be off to London to do a stretch of the London LOOP trail.

That is twenty years, 1029 walks, 18,100 miles, and 1.5 million feet of ascent and descent.

Memories forever dear, holidays of yesteryear.
  • ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

(Incidentally Sean I am in full Scrooge mode. I am shortly hoping to go to bed and catch up with some sleep, but people will be letting bloody fireworks off all night and I won't have a chance of rest. So I sympathise).
    I was told his name was Yeshua Hamashiach.
    Toms said:

Back in the day when Republicans were blue and democrats were red and black Friday didn't exist, Thanksgiving involved getting together with family for a Turkey-veggies-wild rice-sweet potato-cranberry sauce meal.

And mint juleps. Don't forget those.

ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

Yeshua bar Yosef. Never heard of the second one, I was assuming the YH was an obscure theological reference (Yahweh).
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

Yeshua bar Yosef. Never heard of the second one, I was assuming the YH was an obscure theological reference (Yahweh).
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Yeshua-Hamashiach.html

If I become a Jew for Jesus I'm blaming you.
    ydoethur said:

Toms said:

And mint juleps. Don't forget those.
    I dunno. Maybe down South. Connecticut Yankees wouldn't have touched 'em. Instead probably some of that god-awful canned beer "brewed in Milwaukee".
    SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

I am rather depressed, having just packed a very dear friend off to rehab for similar, so not feeling like going out and celebrating. I was invited to a very swanky dinner, but I don't feel much like celebrating so have decided to stay in and watch the telly, like the old man I am rapidly becoming.

The best new year I ever had involved a chance encounter with a call girl new to the city, she was booked for an hour but we ended up spending the next three days getting high together. And dated for some months after. Wasn't it John Lennon who said that life is what happens while you're making other plans?

Happy new year to all PB'ers. My resolution is to try to be kinder to others, here and elsewhere. I'm done with all the bloody arguing and fighting.

Sympathies. I am close to making a New Year resolution not to talk about politics online until Brexit is over, one way or another, it is driving me nuts. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that New Year resolutions never endure.

Incidentally, I am right now watching @KenBurns brilliant Vietnam on Netflix.

I wonder if Brexit is the UK's Vietnam. Nobly intended, and very arguably the right thing to do, but terribly botched, due to foolishness, misreading, and internal dissent - & thus precipitating a period of retreat and decline.
    *puts on smug face*

22 years ago I made a New Year's Resolution I have kept unwaveringly ever since.

It was to stop making stupid resolutions on what amounts to a random winter's day that I never keep and then feel bad for breaking.

I can highly recommend this as a very valuable and worthwhile exercise.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

So it isn't his name, it's his title? But then of course that is also true of Christos.
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Serious question - only vaguely Brexit related....

UK Border Force have recalled 2 cutters from overseas to reinforce border.

Question - where did they think the border was?
    SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Sympathies. I am close to making a New Year resolution not to talk about politics online until Brexit is over, one way or another, it is driving me nuts. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that New Year resolutions never endure.

I wonder if Brexit is the UK's Vietnam. Nobly intended, and very arguably the right thing to do, but terribly botched, due to foolishness, misreading, and internal dissent - & thus precipitating a period of retreat and decline.
    Thanks.

Might give it a shot next, currently working my way through the newest season of Peaky Blinders.

I see your point about Vietnam. An unwinnable war that has hopelessly divided the nation, done in the name of freedom but ultimately a bit of a national embarassment, exposing the failings of our own government...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Twenty years ago tomorrow, I did the first walk for my website - a simple 7-mile stroll to Shining Tor on the Derbyshire / Cheshire border.

Tomorrow, twenty years to the day, I'll be off to London to do a stretch of the London LOOP trail.

That is twenty years, 1029 walks, 18,100 miles, and 1.5 million feet of ascent and descent.

If you didn't have to come home, you would be a long way away by now.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    goodnight, everyone. A happy & peaceful New Year to you all.
    ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

*puts on smug face*

22 years ago I made a New Year's Resolution I have kept unwaveringly ever since.

It was to stop making stupid resolutions on what amounts to a random winter's day that I never keep and then feel bad for breaking.

On the other hand, you can do what I do and keep the resolutions. Although that might be because I make them a *very* low bar to hurdle ...

"I'll run three 10k distances a week, unless it's too cold, too hot, or there's something good to watch on the TV whilst stuffing my face full of HobNobs..."

"I'll read a book a week. Although as I have a young son, the likes of 'That's not my pig!' is classed as a book for the purposes of this resolution."

;)
    Penddu said:

Anyone who gets right of residency in the EU could come and live here.

And therefore, our border is in effect in the Mediterranean at the moment.

Moreover, that is where the bulk of the migration starts from anyway and it's more logical to deal with it there than have all the complications of sending them back from here.

So I think they were making the right decision to police further away. I worry the change of policy is therefore a Bad Idea.

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

*puts on smug face*

On the other hand, you can do what I do and keep the resolutions. Although that might be because I make them a *very* low bar to hurdle ...

"I'll run three 10k distances a week, unless it's too cold, too hot, or there's something good to watch on the TV whilst stuffing my face full of HobNobs..."

"I'll read a book a week. Although as I have a young son, the likes of 'That's not my pig!' is classed as a book for the purposes of this resolution."

;)
    But I have kept this resolution :smile:

@AnneJGP likewise.
    edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

At one time I was tempted to try a walk around the Earth. But I decided that was too silly, and would ultimately be far from enjoyable.

Instead, I have made one of my ambitions to walk the equivalent distance of the circumference of the Earth. Since that's about 25,000 miles, I am just under three-quarters of the way there. And all done within the UK, without too many repeat walks.

Edit: the story of the first person to walk around the Earth is fascinating and a little sad. He started with his brother, who got killed by bandits in Afghanistan, and ended the walk with another brother.

http://davekunst1.com/
    ydoethur said:

Penddu said:

Anyone who gets right of residency in the EU could come and live here.

And therefore, our border is in effect in the Mediterranean at the moment.

Moreover, that is where the bulk of the migration starts from anyway and it's more logical to deal with it there than have all the complications of sending them back from here.

So I think they were making the right decision to police further away. I worry the change of policy is therefore a Bad Idea.
    Fair comment - if that is where they were. I hope one of our useless politicians will ask the question.
    edited December 2018
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

...I have just bought myself an Amazon Echo Show. It really is the telescreen from 1984. It has a camera constantly watching you, as well as a microphone constantly listening. It talks back to you like Alexa, answering questions etc, but it will also Drop In on other users allowing you to see into their homes with a word - i.e. you can watch them in real tim. It is simultaneously sinister yet brilliant...

I am constantly amazed by the capacity of people to adopt voluntarily concepts that they wouldn't do involuntarily. I had an argument with a girl in work once. She wore a Fitbit and logged on regularly to examine her progress and get points. I reminded her that she was wearing an electronic device that monitored her behavior and issued positive or negative reinforcement accordingly, a form of mind control. She wasn't best pleased about that.... :(

Honestly I kind of need that reinforcement - I suspect I'll accept the machine takeover of our society with little complaint. I'd be the character in a sci-fi dystopic novel who is a minor functionary who refuses to rock the boat of the sinister regime because things are content on the surface.

My resolution should perhaps be to be less passive. :)

IanB2 said:

At one time I was tempted to try a walk around the Earth. But I decided that was too silly, and would ultimately be far from enjoyable.
    And quite wet...
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Since I was 18 (I only started keeping accurate records then) I've cycled 128,000km and 9,000 of those were in competition. No wonder my neck sounds like a pepper grinder.
    Bottom left of the image is sad, because I bet plenty of people would indeed say it.

IanB2 said:

/
    I assumed the idea would be that ultimately you would arrive back home?
  • kle4 said:

Bottom left of the image is sad, because I bet plenty of people would indeed say it.

Trust me, political differences aren’t important if the other stuff works.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Thanks.

Might give it a shot next, currently working my way through the newest season of Peaky Blinders.

I see your point about Vietnam. An unwinnable war that has hopelessly divided the nation, done in the name of freedom but ultimately a bit of a national embarassment, exposing the failings of our own government...
    The Ken Burns Vietnam series is absolutely superb.

Just a stunning piece of work that at times moved me to tears.

Well, I am knackered.

I am off to bed.

I wish all PBers of whatever persuasion a blessed, peaceful and prosperous new year.

It's the incurable optimist in me :smile:
  • There is nothing nobly intended about Brexit. It is a fantasist retreat from a complex world. It will leave Britain poorer weaker and smaller.

Happy New Year.
    Dura_Ace said:

Since I was 18 (I only started keeping accurate records then) I've cycled 128,000km and 9,000 of those were in competition. No wonder my neck sounds like a pepper grinder.
    That's awesome.
  • People down our road letting off fireworks two hours early!!
  • I find the cartoon quite amusing.

The Jewish Chronicle reflects its readership which is predominantly Conservative and pro-Brexit. It is a tribute to its Editor and the liberal traditions of the Press that it supports a cartoonist who is neither.

A couple of months back it commissioned her to do a serious political cartoon on the Corbyn anti-semitism row. Her research led her reluctantly but emphatically to the view that he was indeed anti-semitic, and her cartoon, which was much darker and more political than her work normally is, reflected this. It was however produced without pressure or indeed input from the paper itself.

The JC wouldn't be my newspaper of choice, but it is a serious publication with strong journalistic values.

• That's awesome.

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2018 Edition - Part 1.
    Rail routes that Sunil has done for the first time - excludes journeys taken to reach said routes. Other routes were done for the first time in previous calendar years.

March
    Finsbury Park to St Pancras
    Bermondsey new flyover

April
    Chester Zoo monorail
    Ordsall Curve (Manchester Deansgate to Victoria)
    Lancaster to Heysham
    Newport to Swansea

May
    Lee to Grove Park (Lee Spur)
    Northallerton to Sunderland
    Filton Abbey Wood to Patchway
    Newton Abbott to Paignton
    Hawkeridge curve (near Westbury)
    Cardiff Queen St to Cardiff Bay
    Upwey to Yeovil Pen Mill
    Water Orton to Wilnecote via Whitchurch/Kingsbury junctions

June
    Cardiff Central to Barry Island
    Grangetown to Penarth
    Strawberry Hill to Fulwell
    Acton Diveunder (eastbound only)
    Exeter St David's to Barnstaple
    St James' Park (Exeter) to Exmouth

Penddu said:

IanB2 said:

And quite wet...
    I'm a PB Tory. I can walk on water.

Hang on, I think I've found a perfect test for PB Toryism!
  • Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2018 Edition - Part 2.
    Rail routes that Sunil has done for the first time - excludes journeys taken to reach said routes. Other routes were done for the first time in previous calendar years.

July
    Darlington to Eaglescliffe to Saltburn
    Darlington to Bishop Auckland
    Cardiff Central to Coryton
    Cardiff Central to Radyr via Ninian Park
    Cardiff Queen Street to Merthyr Tydfil
    Pontypridd to Treherbert
    Cardiff Queen Street to Rhymney
    Abercynon to Aberdare
    New Beckenham to Beckenham Junction
    Willington to Ilkeston (via Castle Donington and Toton)

August
    Cardiff to Ebbw Vale Town
    Barry to Bridgend
    Bridgend to Maesteg
    Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog
    Machynlleth to Pwllheli
    Swansea to Milford Haven

September
    Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour
    Ferryside to Whitland direct (Carmarthen avoider westbound)
    Gowerton to Llansamlet direct (Swansea avoider eastbound)
    Lockerbie (ie. Carstairs south junc.) to Haymarket
    Edinburgh to Tweedbank
    Carlisle to Glasgow Central via Dumfries
    Carlisle to Barrow via Whitehaven
    Glasgow Central to Partick
    Hyndland to Dalmuir via Yoker
    Paisley Gilmour Street to Wemyss Bay
    Newton Abbot to Plymouth
    Plymouth to Gunnislake
    Keyham to Truro
    Truro to Falmouth Docks
    Par to Newquay
    Truro to Penzance
    St Erth to St Ives
    Liskeard to Looe (inc. Coombe southbound only)
    Selby to York (direct)
    Selby to Sherburn-in-Elmet
    Habrough to Barton-on-Humber
    Craven Arms to Llanelli
    Thornaby to Stockton
    Middlesbrough to Whitby
    Wakefield Westgate to Kirkgate
    Hebden Bridge to Burnley Manchester Road
    Whitland to Pembroke Dock
    Pontyclun to Ninian Park (Leckwith Loop)
    Lawrence Hill to Keynsham (Dr Days Curve)

October
    Kirknewton to Uddingston via Shotts
    Kilwinning to Largs
    Ardrossan South Beach to Harbour
    Troon to Kilmarnock
    Port Glasgow to Gourock
    Glasgow Central to Neilston
    Glasgow Central to Paisley Canal
    Pollokshaws West to East Kilbride
    Glasgow Central to Cambuslang (via Argyle Street)
    Cambuslang to Larkhall
    Polmont to Glasgow Queen St via Cumbernauld
    Greenfaulds to Hamilton Central via Whifflet
    Drem to North Berwick
    Carstairs East junction to Carstairs
    Mount Florida to Kings Park
    Bellshill to Motherwell
    Shieldmuir to Carluke via Wishaw
    Carluke to Lanark
    Rutherglen to Whifflet via Carmyle
    Glasgow Central to Newton via Maxwell Park
    Holytown to Wishaw
    Westerton to Milngavie
    Dalreoch to Helensburgh Central
    Glasgow Queen Street to Anniesland via Maryhill
    Bellgrove to Springburn
    Linlithgow to Dalmeny
    Llangennech to Briton Ferry Up Fast Loop Junction (Swansea District Line)

kle4 said:

Trust me, political differences aren’t important if the other stuff works.
    I believe it. But I don't doubt many proclaim otherwise.
    ydoethur said:

Well, I am knackered.

I am off to bed.

I wish all PBers of whatever persuasion a blessed, peaceful and prosperous new year.

It's the incurable optimist in me :smile:

A happy new year to you also, ydoethur.

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

Hamashiach is a title (the annointed one) - equivalent of the Christ or the Messiah
    I would think that as a gesture of solidarity to the EU people should be firing off their fireworks at 11pm, what with Central European Time being most common on the continent.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

/
    You've not been listening to your Uncle's Boris and Jacob. The Earth is flat.
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

I think the point is adopting voluntarily... and also being able to opt back out.

I’d add to that choosing a system (or systems) which allow you transparently to set limits to what you allow them to do.
    Of course most current systems fail on most of those counts.

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

/
    You've not been listening to your Uncle's Boris and Jacob. The Earth is flat.
    So there are people who believe the Earth is flat all round the world?
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    No point in going to bed befure the massive window rattling firework display planned here in Edinburgh. I refuse to pay £21 (discounted price!) to walk in the centre of my home town to see in the New Year, so I’m consoling myself with a large dram of Talisker Distillers edition and the estimable company of PBers. A guid new year to ane an’ a and all the best for 2019.
  • Hearing three people have been stabbed at Manchester Victoria station by a man with a very long knife.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    A happy, healthy and peaceful 2019 to my fellow PBers.

I predict we leave in March, no election, no referendum and Tezzie stays in No. 10.

I predict we leave in March, no election, no referendum and Tezzie stays in No. 10.

You'd get good odds on that I bet!

May the next year at least bring a close to the current chapter of our nation's story at least, pleasant wishes to all.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Hearing three people have been stabbed at Manchester Victoria station by a man with a very long knife.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6543365/Knife-attacker-armed-long-blade-stabs-three-people-Manchesters-Victoria-Station.html

Looks like terrorism - if the eye witness reports are accurate
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    SeanT said:

NYE is the annual night out for amatuer alcoholics.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    kle4 said:

You'd get good odds on that I bet!

May the next year at least bring a close to the current chapter of our nation's story at least, pleasant wishes to all.
    2.25 at Ladbrokes on no GE or referendum, and you can get 3.25 I think at least one bookie on TM surviving 2019. Not sure about a combined bet.
  • A happy, healthy and peaceful 2019 to my fellow PBers.

I agree with all of those predictions
  • Toms said:

Very good Marf.
    That style reminded me a bit of the lengthy cartoons Tim Hunkin used to do for New Scientist, when I read it. They were educational and homely.

His very good "Secret life of machines" TV series is now complete on youtube, I believe, a dose of nostalgia for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpNQQqdSh8&list=PLByTa5duIolYRtq45Cz_GmtzfWJyA4bik

The big compendium of his Observer cartoons is available very cheaply second-hand on Amazon though obviously lots of it will be out of date now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Almost-Everything-There-Timothy-Hunkin/dp/0600570878

Anyone been to see his contraptions at Southwold Pier?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    sarissa said:

No point in going to bed befure the massive window rattling firework display planned here in Edinburgh. I refuse to pay £21 (discounted price!) to walk in the centre of my home town to see in the New Year, so I’m consoling myself with a large dram of Talisker Distillers edition and the estimable company of PBers. A guid new year to ane an’ a and all the best for 2019.

A few of us somehow managed one year to bunk in at the front of the Forth FM jollity bus with nothing between us and the fireworks on the escarpment and totally blindside from the crowds. I know they are just pointless whizz bangs to the discerning PBer but, oh my, they were good from slightly dangerously close up.

A Happy and Safe New Year to all.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited December 2018
    A happy and prosperous 2019 to all PBers!
  • Toms said:

Very good Marf.

His very good "Secret life of machines" TV series is now complete on youtube, I believe, a dose of nostalgia for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpNQQqdSh8&list=PLByTa5duIolYRtq45Cz_GmtzfWJyA4bik

The big compendium of his Observer cartoons is available very cheaply second-hand on Amazon though obviously lots of it will be out of date now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Almost-Everything-There-Timothy-Hunkin/dp/0600570878

Anyone been to see his contraptions at Southwold Pier?
    Showing the age of the first documentary in that series, it features a very spritely looking chap who worked for the Goblin vacuum cleaner company in the 1920s...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Seeing as everyone's making predictions for 2019, I'll make one. Either Mesut Ozil or Unai Emery will not be at Arsenal on 31/12/2019.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I agree with those, although I think Javid is likely to be PM by the end of 2019.
  • Happy New Year, everyone, despite Brexit and despite the shannanagins we're all being subjected to, for or against. Hold on tight ... we've got each other :)
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Happy New Year y'all

Mike's analysis is correct - enjoy Brexit!!!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,704
    Happy New Year to all PBers
  • Sean T - a poem for you. Seamus Heaney, 'Mint'. You can watch/listen to him read it on YouTube. Just read your comment about your friend in rehab, made me think of it.

Sean T - a poem for you. Seamus Heaney, 'Mint'. You can watch/listen to him read it on YouTube. Just read your comment about your friend in rehab, made me think of it.

Mine is, I will give it a listen.

A very happy new year one and all.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Happy New Year, you lovely bunch of irascible old (occasionally young) buffers.
  • Happy New Year everyone! All the best for 2019!
    Spandau Ballet; 'only when you leave' 😀
  • Ave_it said:

Spandau Ballet; 'only when you leave' 😀

Depeche Mode: Leave in Silence :)
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Happy new year everyone, hope it's a better one than 2018.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Happy new year.

(Glad to see back of 2018)
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    More fireworks tonight than either Guy Fawkes' night or Diwali. Happy New Year.
    Happy new year posters. I share your view of 2018 cheerio!
  • The Happiest of New Years to everyone.

May our politicians be given the wisdom to take the right actions to safeguard our country and to start to heal its divisions
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The Happiest of New Years to everyone.

May our politicians be given the wisdom to take the right actions to safeguard our country and to start to heal its divisions

Hear hear, a big change.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I was DJing at my new years party and the guests took exception to me playing ode de joy after auld laung syne. Disappointing start to the year.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Happy new year PB people!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Happy New Year and best wishes for a 2019 with more Marf cartoons.
    Happy New Year, folks
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    Happy New Year Everyone.
    I've had my happiest NTE since my first daughter was born 8 and three quarter years ago, necessarily curtailing new year's celebrations. A cheerful evening with good friends with similat numbers of children, merging seamlessly into a music appreciation session. St. Ettienne to see the year in, the Pixies to finally walk out the door and stagger home.
    Hope eevryone's New Year is as joyous as can be.
    Cookie said:

... the Pixies to finally walk out the door...

Oh, well done you... :)

• YouGov poll for The Times

Con 41 (+1)

Lab 39 (+3)

Lib Dems 7 (-3)

UKIP 4 (nc)

Greens 3 (nc)

Note fieldwork 16th/17th December

Changes are with the YouGov poll for the People's Vote conducted on the 12-14 December

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/tories-top-polls-despite-a-year-of-westminster-chaos-890l9q6tk
  • The Times say without giving the figures

The prime minister’s personal ratings have returned to levels last seen before she called the disastrous snap election in 2017, however. The latest poll confirms the dangers posed to Jeremy Corbyn from Brexit. Of those backing Labour 50 per cent voted to remain in the EU and 22 per cent voted to leave.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely YY?

So it isn't his name, it's his title? But then of course that is also true of Christos.
    It translates from Hebrew into English as "the Messiah". If asked, most Jews would tell you that his initials were JC, and probably wonder why you'd asked (there isn't a commonly used initialism/abbreviation/acronym for Jesus in Hebrew AFAIK).

The Chronicle has previously had some wry fun with the fact that the initials are all the same.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The Times say without giving the figures

The prime minister’s personal ratings have returned to levels last seen before she called the disastrous snap election in 2017, however. The latest poll confirms the dangers posed to Jeremy Corbyn from Brexit. Of those backing Labour 50 per cent voted to remain in the EU and 22 per cent voted to leave.

That still fails to answer the question as to how salient the Brexit issue is!
This discussion has been closed.