Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf catches the mood as the cold sets in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf catches the mood as the cold sets in

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Primus inter pares
    Triple A rating for the cartoon, marf.

You've joined George at the top.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Admit it, Avery, you have a boy crush on George!
  • FPT @RichardNabavi @ 4:55 PM
    'Incidentally, I was very amused by your statement upthread that saving money is not a legitimate purpose of an Act of Parliament. What world do you live in?'
    It's a pity that that wasn't what I said. My point was that saving money was not a legitimate justification for an Act of Parliament having retrospective effect. The amendments to the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 made by the Police (Detention and Bail) Act 2011 were deemed to have always had effect in order to prevent the award of damages to people unlawfully detained by the police. The Jobseekers (Back to Work Schemes) Bill will make ultra vires regulations retrospectively intra vires in order to save money. If saving money were a legitimate justification for Acts of Parliament having retroactive effect, couldn't we get out of our problems by amending the last decade's Consolidated Fund Acts to reduce the annual expenditure paid out of public funds? Or how about retroactively amending the last decade's Finance Acts so that income tax was deemed to have been charged at a higher rate?

Such measures would rightly be considered outrageous, and are politically impossible. The only reason that the 2011 Act and 2013 Bill are politically possible is because the unfairly disadvantaged groups (alleged criminals and JSA claimants respectively) are seen as legitimate targets. That is no way to run a free society.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Lympe-Pole.

FPT: Good evening, everyone.

I'm hoping that Vettel and Webber bitching about the tyres means they'll struggle again. The Ferraris seem good and the Lotus likewise. If it's soggy then Button and Perez could come into play.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Ha! I suggested that this morning.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ITVRichard explains why the credit rating agency warning tells us nothing new about the state of the UK economy http://itv.co/ZFJeoW

How many thousand posts can we get out of "downgrade did not happen"? More than we got from "man on boat doesn't get money he didn't ask for"?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm glad that I can fuel my house in Hungary with wood if necessary.
  • MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Well it's only raining here, and not that hard either. Just like most days since, oh, this time last year.
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Good one, Marf!
    @MrsB We should declare droughts more often.
    edited March 2013
    @Life_ina_market_town

I've replied on the previous thread. Time to 'draw a line' as our unlamented former PM was fond of saying.
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2013
    On Cyprus:

Efthimia Efthimiou ‏@EfiEfthimiou 5m
    #Cyprus People gathered outside Parliament, with Russian flags.

and

EU flag burned outside Cypriot parliament building
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/22/eurozone-crisis-cyprus-bailout-russia-vote#block-514c9d04b5795d794abf42c1

edited March 2013
    No comfort for Balls from Fitch:

The UK's creditworthiness continues to be underpinned by its high-income, diversified and flexible economy - underscored by the rise in employment despite the tepid economic recovery - and the authorities' commitment to deficit reduction.

http://www.fitchratings.com/creditdesk/press_releases/detail.cfm?pr_id=786657&cm_sp=homepage-_-FeaturedContentLink-_-Learn More

Same message as Moody's. Times are hard, but There Is No Alternative, and certainly no room for Ballsonomics.
    @antifrank
    I think on reflection it might be time to declare a flood. Maybe that will stop it raining.

PS Gone for an avatar that makes me laugh for the time being.
    One thing that is not commented on enough is the variety of Marf's cartoons. I have three prints adorning my office wall and they are utterly different in style. This is my favourite of the three:

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2010/04/17/how-high-can-the-lib-dems-go/
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    On subs... I set up a monthly SO to Mike's account a little while back. An absolute bargain for the hours reading/posting I've spent on here, and a practical way of thanking Mike and co for the work they do to keep the site going. It's just a few quid but if more/those who can afford it/each to their means did it Mike would have a reliable stream of income - it could add up to a reasonable amount.
    can Mike set up a subscription button somehow?
    @LabourList: Nick Raynsford to stand down as Greenwich and Woolwich MP http://labli.st/XvD9sH
    @old_labour

People gathered outside Parliament, with Russian flags and EU flag burned outside Cypriot parliament building

I doubt the Cypriots enthusiasm for Russia will go so far as exchanging the Euro for the Rouble.

Maybe they should ask George for the pound back. It is climbing relentlessly and has even shrugged off the impact of Ed Conway's tweet.
  • scoopscoop Posts: 64
    test
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I am not sure a paywall is a good idea. It would stop new posters from joining in.
    You do wonder whether this document is being used as a blueprint:

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/WolfsonPrize/wep shortlist essay - roger bootle.pdf

Some of its recommendations look oddly familiar:

"Accordingly, it would be advisable to prevent people from withdrawing more money from the country in the run-up to exit by effectively bottling it up within the domestic economy. In particular, when the redenomination was announced but before notes were available, cash machines, or 'ATMs', would need to be shut down."

"The exiting country could simply declare a bank holiday in which all banking transactions, including those conducted electronically, were prevented. One approach would be to make the announcement of departure on a Friday, after the close of business, leaving the weekend, when most banks would be closed anyway, to make the necessary arrangements. But this could not be allowed to be a normal banking weekend as electronic transactions would still need to be prevented and ATMs shut down.

If more time were needed then the banks could be forced to close, or at least forced to close for deposit withdrawal, on Monday and Tuesday. Making use of a national extended bank holiday period, such as over Easter, could also be useful."
    @Neil

Admit it, Avery, you have a boy crush on George!

My feelings towards George are like a novitiate towards his Cardinal Archbishop.

The passion is purely intellectual.
    edited March 2013
    @AveryLP

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1060/#Comment_1060

When I went to Russia on the seven day Moscow/St Petersburg trip in 2000, you could not go wrong with American dollars.
  • EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    The "Quid" rockets while Oil in freefall. Thanks to the near perfect COE.
    edited March 2013
    @old_labour

When I went to Russia on the seven day Moscow/St Petersburg trip in 2000, you could not go wrong with American dollars.

I won't ask how you spent those dollars, OL.

By 2000, most official outlets were meant to have stopped accepting the US dollar.

Tsk! Tsk! as our resident international thriller writer might say.
    @Avery

If only Cardinal O'Brien had reached out to you for guidance many years ago ;)
    edited March 2013
    @AveryLP

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1068/#Comment_1068

Taxis, meals, alcohol and souvenirs.

Most people quoted prices in USD.

The groups of nubile, young ladies sitting in the hotel lobby were not exactly my thing.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    My last duel fuel bill sent my blood pressure through the roof.I have done all the right things too.Reams of loft insulation,10 feet thick,and Warm Front paid for draughtproofing.Walls and windows all tight and secure.I have swopped to the Co-op and have saved so what must others be paying?Co-Op energy are putting their prices up in April.
    I have a disability which means I lose sensation in hands and feet-very common-so warmth is important and we all need to be warm.
    I have been saving this up as this.The first serious political party to offer NO VAT ON ENERGY BILLS has my vote that is for sure.
    The Joseph Rowntree Foundation has all the evidence anyone will need to see just how poverty caused by the high cost of fuel has reached millions of the UK population.
    I found Michael Meacher's blog on the matter.You may find it informative.
    http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2013/03/british-gas-is-organising-blackouts-for-2017-to-maximise-its-profits/
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    @Tim (Or any other Labour poster) Labour's position really confuses me. They would have halved the deficit by now but also not made any cuts.I'm trying to square those two things up but I'm struggling.

Where/How would they have cut the deficit in half now ?
    @Carola @MrsB

Carola could you pm me the bank details and I will set something similar up. I think it's a lot better than using the donate button every so often (especially as I dont seem to get on with PayPal) and hopefully it's easier for Mike to plan. Given what I pay for a daily 'paper and what I get back from that and pbc whatever I donate will be a bargain.
  • BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    How do I get the thread to display with the oldest comments at the top?
    @volcanopete I want to be a libertarian most of the time, but not on energy. Not now. Renationalise, fire up the coal plants once more, get fracking. The time is over for free market/green thinking on energy, if we have brownouts we'll be pushed into an even worse economic situation. That must be avoided at all costs.
    @tim

But Labour planned to cut capital spending in half, tim. What would that have done for growth?
    @tim The problem we have though is that all the growth of the last Labour Gov't was essentially a mirage. The extra demand created from increasing the deficit drove 'growth'. Now if we cut that deficit it cuts growth, or if we increase growth it will increase the deficit. There is no magic wand on this one, Labour's claim that they would have halved the deficit is/was a ludicrous one to make, worse than an OBR forecast 3 years ahead.
    @Bromptonaut

With Vanilla embedded in the PB WordPress template I don't think you can change the thread ordering from newest to oldest. Mike Smithson can do it but it is a global setting that affects all users. Robert S. has said he will be implementing a number of configurable features of Vanilla over the next few days/weeks but he hasn't said whether user configurable thread ordering is available to be implemented.

Plato discovered a way of getting oldest first thread ordering but it is a bit of a clunk. You need to navigate to the Vanilla hosting page direct bypassing the pb webpage and you can get a paginated oldest first thread. I got stuck there last night and didn't like it. Plato acted as SatNav to get me back.

Try http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/ if you want to test it out.
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    @Neil

Have sent you a msg. Not sure if it's a private one as you can click on - I've forgotten what it was now - to see msgs! (This is all new to me...).

In your profile on discussions you can see how many page views the threads have had.

*blunders around a bit more*
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited March 2013
  • EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    @Tim so how does the country grow when every other country in the world is pulling it's horns in?
    @Pulpstar

There is every chance that tim's brutal cuts to the benefits of disabled single mothers might have produced growth. But at what cost?

Only kidding, tim, ribbing you is my pre-getting drunk entertainment ;)
    Incidentally why are the 3 year ahead forecasts always so ridiculously optimistic. I hoped it was a practice that would stop with the outgoing Labour Gov't, but sadly not so. 2.6% ? The high side of my estimate would probably be 1.5%. Ridiculous.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "but not on energy"

I wonder how people will react when they're freezing in a blackout or even without a blackout but just can't pay their bills and they eventually find out they're in that situation because the BBC wouldn't report that global warming flat-lined in 1998?

Then again by the time it's really biting the news and interweb might be fully under the censor.
    @HYUFD

Someone should kidnap his Teddy Bears, torture and kill them, bury them in the Cooley peninsula and then never tell him where to find them.

To give him a slight taste of his own medicine.
    @MrJones Well maybe the energy market would have worked if the incentives were correct. As it is the whole green shebang has probably lead to some of this.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    @Neil

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1078/#Comment_1078

Don't you know, when Labour cut capital spending it's good for economic growth, but when the coalition do it it's a disaster.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    @tim

So it's now Osborne stoking up inflation? Wasn't it Brown and Darling that started QE? Oh right, it was.
    @HYUFD Heres what'll happen. Everyone but everyone will be saying they will vote UKIP in 2015 (Except the 4th party, the Lib Dems). Everyone will head into the ballot box and those that would have voted CON normally will divide their crosses between UKIP and CON. LAB people will simply vote LAB.

And we'll wake up to PM Miliband and some nice bet winnings.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited March 2013
    We're running a woodburner fire for our living room and have saved about £400 off the gas bill over the autumn and winter.

Has been a marvelous.
    Test from tablet.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "the whole green shebang has probably lead to some of this"

For example the EU ordering the early shut-down of the coal-fired plants.
    Rudd allegedly gives up hope of Oz Labor leadership, although whether more bad polls or a loss by Labor of Gillard's media bill would change things only time will tell. In any case, it looks like Gillard is doomed at the election, if she does win though it would be by the slimmest of margins and ironically may be due to gains in Queensland (Rudd's home state) relative to 2010 offsetting losses in NSW and elsewhere and would leave her with a more pro-Rudd caucus anyway!
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-22/rudd-says-he-will-never-be-leader-again/4588644
    Pulpstar - Indeed, which again shows the Tory idiocy in opposing AV!
    Neil - I certainly need a like for that!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    @HYUFD - I have never understood that line of attack. Surely a principled opposition is better than supporting something just because it improves your own chances of re-election.
  • BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The great thing about these downgrades from Labour's point of view is the drip drip drip nature of them.

Providing a crushing reminder every few weeks of how catastrophic the Tories are as a government.

They drown out any ''good' news the Tories attempt to jump on.
  • @antifrank
    I wonder if the airlift of €1m to Cyprus "for the troops" was cover for several billions worth of newly printed Cyprus Pounds fresh from the Mint (or whoever prints notes nowadays)?
    @BenM

the drip drip drip nature of them

I don't think it is anything to do with rating agencies, Ben.

Best see a doctor quickly.
    @tim

I am FAR too drunk to comment sensibly on that! I'm sure you'll bring it up again when I'm sober ;)
    @BenM

The downgrade that Ed Balls has been praying for all week that did not happen?

Great for Labour.
    @HYUFD Kippers would probably have put 1 UKIP and nothing else, alot of Labour and Lib Dem types would put LAB / LIB DEM.

Personally ? 1 CON 2 LIB DEM at the moment, or maybe not 2 LD - it would depend what side of bed I got out on GE morning to be honest. I live in a LAB safe seat, but one the CONs would have to win to have a 'good' majority, LDs aren't anywhere...

Anyway I'm convinced that Kippers are by far the most bloody minded / most likely to cut off their nose to spite their own face group of voters of the lot.
  • @tim

I wasn't aware Labour had any infrastructure spending plans - remember they cancelled the last pre-2010 election spending review.
  • "Surely a principled opposition is better than supporting something just because it improves your own chances of re-election.

That would be the principled opposition which acknowledges that it would have to cut at 80-90 per cent of the rate being cut by the present government but which never either agrees a single cut or proposes any single alternative?
  • "I wonder if the airlift of €1m to Cyprus "for the troops" was cover "

So it WAS true that Weapons of Monetary Destruction could be launched and reach Cyprus within the hour?
    Trouble at mill

Housebuilding sets David Cameron and George Osborne against 'nimby' Tories

Backlash against new homes scheme expected from 8 out of 10 Conservative councillors, who say areas already overdeveloped

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/22/housebuilding-cameron-osbourne-confrontation-tories
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Nice cartoon, Marf!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Finally watched QT for the first time in quite some time today, and it was quite refreshing - one of the more interesting and well done I'd seen since long before I stopped watching regularly.

It did stress for me it is a bit strange in some ways that Gove is not more widely approved of, as he is easily one of the more formidible and convincing ministers I have seen; I can only suppose that trying to make as many changes as he has, stirring up so much antipathy against him, wrecks any positive imagine of him becoming more entrenched.

I'd never see Emily Thornberry before, but she was pretty good too, even if she came of second best against Gove I felt, while Horowitz and Littlewood were both very entertaining in their way, with some good points.

Really it was only the Green woman, Natalie Bennet, who came across poorly, with very little insight, good delivery or entertainment value, at least one of which it is necessary to have while on QT if you are to do well. Still, I went to the same university if Wikipedia is correct, so maybe I should give her another chance.
    edited March 2013
    @kle4

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1118/#Comment_1118

The Green woman made Harriet Harman look like the life and soul of a party.
    edited March 2013
    @Tim

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1121/#Comment_1121

I'd have thought it would be very difficult to get scurvy these days.
    @faisalislam: RT @brianmlucey: So this is how the Euro begins to die. Capital controls in the union.... https://twitter.com/ManosGiakoumis/status/315202024239165440 A sad day for #cyprus and for the EZ
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @kle4,did you watch the last time emily thornberry was on QT,the phoney outrage - lol

Start at 9.40 to 10.40 to see Thornberrys phoney outrage ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK_L2zTeGVc
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    More evidence that the British Establishment is on its knees.He did not say some of these protesters lose their bloody glasses during such encounters with the ever-grateful public.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100208655/the-salvation-army-captain-peacock-and-the-lefty-megabores-who-hate-michael-gove/
    @Tykejohnno

Oh yes, I remember that bit now, she did lay it on a bit thick to get a cheer, didn't remember it was the same person. Hitchens responded pretty well to the histrionics in fairness, not that he doesn't engage in hyperbole himself.

She did strike me as someone who's better when starting off, making a point, rather than responding to someoen else's points, as she made some quite theatrical looks and scoffs (par for the course really). When she spoke first she was very reasonable seeming.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Isn't Osborne supposed to be a Chelsea fan?

Seems to be me that he's now trying to blow bubbles.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Didcot power station closing today, I wonder how much replacement power came to the grid via wind and solar power today...
  • The fact that PB can't pay for its limited costs through ad revenue despite so many page views tells you all you need to know about the future of media companies that have a 'digital first' model that doesn't include charging readers.
    Is Cyprus going to keep having bank holidays until Monday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21907022

Dr. Spyn, I fear the warmist zealots and the lazy, short-sighted energy policy (or lack thereof) could end up having serious consequences.

Mr. Gin, I've always wanted a wood-burning stove. From stone cold, how long does it take to warm up?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Times had interesting piece of failings of Cameron and Osborne, as well as summary of foreign press coverage of weekend's stitch up with hacked off.
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Nice cartoon marf. :)
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    There must be some relief from little Ed that he has Balls and not Darling leading the charge against Osbrowne's second home subsidy.

Flipper Darling would be more likely to take part in the scheme than laugh at it's incompetence after all. ;)
    MPs' expenses: How Alistair Darling nominated four properties as second home in four years

Alistair Darling nominated four properties as his second home in as many years in order to make the most of the flexible parliamentary expenses system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5418768/MPs-expenses-How-Alistair-Darling-nominated-four-properties-as-second-home-in-four-years.html
  • RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    edited March 2013
    kle4 No it's because Gove comes across as hideously supercilious. He gives the constant impression of walking around like there's a nasty smell under his nose. He's the least electable leader of the Cons Party since IDS, which is why I'm earnestly hoping they're stupid enough to make him Dave's replacement. It's when Conservatives profess to be in a state of surprise and shock at the electorate's failure to see how brilliant Gove is that I realise there's not the slightest chance of them getting back to power for another generation. Really, you haven't got a blo dy clue. Theresa May had it spot on all those moons ago.
  • RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    p.s. What a breath of fresh air over Disqust. Well done Mike!
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Nats

I know your MEP list will be decided at the Spring Conference. Do you know the exact timing of the announcement of results? So I can stay vigilant
    edited March 2013
    @Richardohos

"It's when Conservatives profess to be in a state of surprise and shock at the electorate's failure to see how brilliant Gove is that I realise there's not the slightest chance of them getting back to power for another generation. Really, you haven't got a blo dy clue. "

Barking up the wrong tree there, my friend. I've never voted Tory in my life, though I supported the idea of Cameron leading a Con-LD Coalition over any alternative (that it has not worked out at all is deeply unfortunate). In fact I voted Lib Dem - so your implication above that to express support for Gove one must be a Conservative is complete hash, and indicative of the kind of tribal thinking that I detest.

I will not say I support all of Gove's ideas, nor that they would convince me to vote Tory, I merely think he comes across as intelligent and capable, which when you place him next to your Osbornes or your Hunts, to take but two examples, is leaps and bounds above them.
    Hilariously, unlike money you can't simply 'print' power. nature doesn't do 'borrowing energy' ;p. Though I suppose Russia will help out.. for a price. Arf.
    F1: interesting article on McLaren's poor form this season, and their general inability to win titles:
    http://blogs.espnf1.com/The_Inside_Line/archives/2013/03/the_downward_spiral.php
    Mr. Pulpstar, didn't Tesla believe that, like information, energy could be transmitted wirelessly?

Not the same as printing, of course, but still an intriguing thought.
    England footy team are only 8-0 ahead in their match against San Marino, 10 minutes left.
    Intriguing indeed but my point is its not simply turning on the print presses or doing some accounting tricks with the BoE, power stations and the power they produce are extremely 'real'
    Mr Dancer, methinks you may be thinking of the movie, The Prestige. Good movie none the less!
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2013
    Gerry Adams is posting pics of the Teddy Bear on twitter if you want to se....
    Dr. Prasannan, that seems unlikely, as I have never seen it.

Mr. Pulpstar, you're quite right. Dicking about, cowardice, short-sightedness and a zealous belief in global warming has led us to an unhealthy energy situation.
    Mr Dancer, one of the magic tricks involved Tesla, though obviously a fictionalised version, played by none other than David Bowie.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Ladbrokes move Sadiq Khan's price to be next London Mayor London in from 33/1 to 12/1. pic.twitter.com/MLW2CRudli

The power of PB!!
    @DanHannanMEP: So now we know how it's done: first capital controls, then confiscation. Cyprus today. Which euro member next?
This discussion has been closed.